Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
dgm6689

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Served in- A bottle poured into a snifter

Appearance- Dark, almost near-black appearance. Somewhere in between the colors of dark and milk chocolate. The beer is perfectly carbonated with a nice white head, which goes in great contrast with the dark beer.

Smell- I got hints of caramel when I smelled it. The aroma of the high alcohol is definitely present.

Taste- To go along with the smell, there are notes of caramel. This goes along great with the sweet malty taste that accompanies it. The taste of the alcohol isn't present initially but the after-taste has a slight kick to it.

Mouthfeel- This is one of the smoothest beers I have ever tasted. From the beginning of the sip all the way to the end, it's like black velvet in my mouth.

Drinkability- If I had the option, and the wallet, to drink this beer all night I, without a doubt, would. It's smooth feel and sweet, but not to sweet, taste makes me able to drink many more of these. The only problem, the relatively high alcohol content is the only reason I can think of not to order another,

07-31-2010 05:12:19 | More by dgm6689
impending

4.99/5  rDev +10.6%

A+

33cl into a tulip. Pours a rich deep brown. Head retention is minor, lacing unexceptional.

Aroma of a quad, a superb quad, say no more.

Taste is big and rich, sip this slow to ensure you enjoy all the subtle changes as it warms . . . . warms most excellent. Don't serve this with a meal, save it for after. The aftertaste of a premier quad is special and this sets the bar high.

A measure of the best brews is how well their flavor evolves as they warm - is the range wide and always pleasing - does it continually improve, is the last sip like dessert of a fine meal in a tulip!

Bless you Monks of Abbaye Notre Dame de Saint Remy !

They summarize . . . . .men who leave everything behind to live with God and in that way open the eyes for the Resurrection of the Lord . . . . . . . and brew a fine beer
cheers to all
jd

07-30-2010 22:33:07 | More by impending
cratez

Ontario (Canada)

4.6/5  rDev +2%

330ml bottle at Chancey Smith's. I quaffed this beer over dessert with my girlfriend in celebration of our third year together. Pours a dark ruby brown with a creamy tan head that subsides to thin ring of fizz. Strands of lacing cling to the goblet. Smell and taste are a beautiful symmetry of vinous, port-like aromas, fruity Belgian yeast, blueberries, pie crust, plum, toffee candy, chocolate liqueur, currants, and an elegant, red grape sweetness with plenty of warmth going down. Mouthfeel is rich, full-bodied, syrupy, somewhat sugary (but not overly so), delicate spiciness, sticky and powdery dryness to finish. Soothing. About midway through I notice the copious amounts of sediment lingering at the bottom of my glass. Overall, Rochefort 10 is a gorgeous Trappist ale that compares to the best of them, including Westy 12. It's packed with complex flavours and literally glides across the tongue while drinking. Don't let the wider distribution fool you: this is a world class beer that's well worth the money. An exemplary quadrupel.

07-29-2010 19:37:38 | More by cratez
travis224

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Rochefort chalice a beautiful dark brown color with a tight white head and little bits of brown flakes floating in it. The smell is very complex: raisins, leather,. brown sugar, caramel, a fruit that I can't quite put my finger on, maybe cherry...I could go on and on. The taste is the same, each sip reveals a different layer of complexity, always fairly sweet and malty with a touch of alcohol. A perfectly brewed beer.

07-28-2010 03:42:34 | More by travis224
cudmud

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: Deep burgundy color with one-half finger of foam. Wonderful lace, which is produced by steady carbonation.

Smell: A yeasty and malty delight.

Taste: Bread and cookie-like. Lots a yeast flavors. A slight hint of hops and plenty of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Dry and thick.

Drinkability: Awesome. I want more. One of the best beers in the world

07-28-2010 01:59:19 | More by cudmud
VTaler

Vermont

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

I am not worth to drink this beer but fuck it I am anyways.

A - Holy shit...Very dark...It looks like little chunks are floating around in it. I cant give it a five because there is only one beer that gets a five

S - Smells like a fresh summer day. I don't know what that smell is but it is very unique. Almost a musty smell.

T - I don't know where to start. So I take a sip. Immediately I get smacked in the face by dark dried fruits. I try to fight back but immediately a Belgian yeast giant stomps on me. He starts to shoot poisonous clove and spicy yeast darks at me. Behind the giant is the might alcohol monster. It's there. It's staring at me. We both see each other but he just sits there and doesn't do anything. At first I'm confused why this alcohol monster is not attacking me like the rest but then I released that he is being held down by massive chains made of dark roasty malts and yeast. He has a mask over his head made of hops. So as I am being lit up by spicy yeast and hops I fall into this pool of dark mashed fruits and bananas. As I lye here I see the horrible alcohol beast and realized I have an arrow in my chest. I did not sense this at all. In fact I have no feeling at the point of entry. However I feel its affects. I look over at the massive beast and its holding a bow. I realize it has shot me. I did not see this coming at all. I spent all my time fighting against these other creatures and the alcohol beast got me in one shot...but I overcome this and begin to find the rest of these creatures. Since it is very dark it is hard to make out what some of these creatures are but they are there but they kind of blend together in a nice way. Overall this beer gave me an orgasm. I don't think I got any in the glass though. I am drinking this on my 21st birthday right before I run this town tonight...

M - ...amazing

D - if I was stuck on a deserted island and could only have one thing for the rest of my life...

07-26-2010 18:47:37 | More by VTaler
Bmuncy

West Virginia

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance: Dark Brown with a certain red hue. Sediment floats around. The doesn't hang around too long, but when it's there it's vanilla and creamy. Makes you want to lose yourself.

Smell: Definitely smells of dark fruits such as raisins. For an abv of 11.3% it masks the alcohol relatively well. You can pick up on the alcohol, it's there to be sure, but not up in your face.

Taste: This is a powerful brew. It's extremely warming. Tastes.. very very complex. Dark fruits make for a sweet yet tart experience and the alcohol gives for a very manageable spicy undertone.

Mouthfeel: Has a great mouthfeel. It's fairly fullbodied and creamy. It has exceptional smoothness. The thing that gets me, and maybe this is an isolated incident, but as I swallow the drink dances on the back of my tongue in almost a spiraling upward motion. It's very unique and pleasing.

Drinkability: It's exceptional. Here's the thing, being at 11.3% abv it's obviously a sipping beer. It's complexity is worth taking it super slow, anyway. It's absolutely delicious so it's hard not to indulge yourself a little.

07-26-2010 07:26:05 | More by Bmuncy
DovaliHops

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours an Extremely dark brownish-red color with a nice creme-vanilla color head. The scent is dark fruits, alcohol, and a whole lotta dark grapes. The taste is just crazy complex. I initially pick up candy sugars and caramel, followed by some tasty dark fruits (figs, grapes, plums, dates), then it's followed by some tasty yeast flavors. The Belgian yeast strands make the bread flavor really come through. And the alcohol warmness really comes through as the beer warms up a bit. The mouthfeel is very nice, but it tends to be a little watery...I thought this beer would be a little more full-bodied. It's hard to explain...because the taste of this beer is not watery at all, but the mouthfeel could be a bit more FULL (i guess). Drinkability is so scary...I cannot tell this is such a high ABV beer.

07-25-2010 07:21:14 | More by DovaliHops
joshuacavett

3.98/5  rDev -11.8%

A: Rich brown but light for a quad pour. Head did not last long. Poured into an oversized wine glass. I prefer a darker quad, but I would put it about a 36 BJCP.

S: Sweet smell & I could sleep all night with this smell.

T: Grape, funky & sweet. Not overbearing and very mellow.

M: Very easy in the mouth. Not as viscous as other quads. Carbonation is perfect, and one of the best Trapist's I have ever had.

D: Very drinkable, and alcohol is right on.

07-24-2010 01:30:04 | More by joshuacavett
kiddynamite920

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Poured out a rich brown with some deep orange. Head was big and frothy, but died within seconds. Poured into a big old snifter. What a quad should look like.

S: Good lord is this complex. Sweet and sour cherries, plums, Welch's grape juice. Very vinous in aroma. Great malt backbone to smooth it all out. Definitely leans toward the sweet fruits. Very lovely. Hard to hide the 12% abv, but they manage to quite well. Some heat. Almost thought this beer had soured upon smelling the bottle when opened, was greatly mistaken.

T: Sweet grapes, plums, cherries (both sweet and tart). This is a quad. Good alcohol burn that soothes the overlying sweetness. Not cloyingly sweet, I believe due to the tart cherries that come into play. A small amount of banana and some very muted tropical fruits as well. Unbelievably complex.

M: Couldn't wait to get to the mouthfeel. Most quads I've had have been super syrupy and overly malty. This beer combines a great balance between fruit sweetness and a thick, but well carbonated consistency. Fantastic.

D: Considering the consistency of this beer, compared to most heavy bodied quads, this is extraordinary. Carbonation is on point, good crispness for a quad again. God bless the Trappist breweries.

07-23-2010 04:31:52 | More by kiddynamite920
ocelot2500

Arizona

4.78/5  rDev +6%

Pours a deep chocolate brown with a tight brown head that leaves plenty of lacing.

Smells of sweet dark fruits and some yeast spice.

Tastes of complex fruits and bread. Plenty of fig, raisins, and black cherries finished off with clove-like yeast spice. Toasted sweet bread undertones with some molasses, caramel notes. Alcohol gives a bit of warmth.

Mouthfeel is mediuml with a slightly fizzy amount of carbonation.

07-21-2010 03:22:17 | More by ocelot2500
ChrisPro

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottle from Binny's.

Pours dark brown, slight hint of ruby; thin off-white head that didn't stick around.

Chocolate and cherry aroma, with a good bit of cough syrup thrown in the mix along with vanilla.

Very rich and sweet, yet balanced well with a little bitter finish followed by a huge caramel aftertaste.

Extremely full bodied, light carb. A bit boozy, but I have no doubt that this would improve with age.

Overall, I'm still not a fan of quads, and it's no westy, but still a fantastic brew, given the style. Solid sipper. 4.5/4/4/3.5/4

***
Tasted blind as part of top 10 quad tasting with callmemickey and sideshowe.

A - translucent dark brown with little head.

S - Banana peel, chocolate, some roasted nuts and a nice earthy smell.

T - Very rich sweet treacle and toffee with a slightly roasty bitter finish. A sweet dark caramel lingers on the tongue.

M - Perfect carbonation, little heat

O - Incredibly drinkable and a fantastic accessible version of the style. Finished tied for 3rd with Westy 12 for me. 4/4.5/4/4.5/4.5

07-21-2010 02:51:59 | More by ChrisPro
Bravo4

Kentucky

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from bottle into a Duvel glass.

A- Extremely dark brown with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly leaving a ring around the glass. It doesn't appear to have much carbonation. It leaves chunks of sedement in the bottom of the glass.

S- It smells of dark fruits and brown sugar with a hint of smoke and chocolate.

T- It tastes of caramel, chocolate, brown sugar, plum, and black cherry with a hint of smoke. It's really too complex to figure out all the flavors.

M- Smooth and creamy with little carbonation.

D- I would rate this as very drinkable if you plan on sipping. Watch out for the ABV.

07-19-2010 21:25:10 | More by Bravo4
BeerForMuscle

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this at Brauhaus Schmitz.

A - Dark brown pour with a solid cream head.

S - Smells sweet and sturdy. Some spice notes and malty goodness present.

T - Deep rich sweet malt and dark sugars shine through. Caramel, brown sugar, wood flavors detectable. Full flavored through the whole sip and glass. The alcohol does come through and gives a syrupy warming effect.

M - Full bodied beer with syrupy and warm feelings. Its strong but not too heavy, and its well balanced.

D - I agree its a sip and savour beer. Good complexity for sheer enjoyment.

Notes - This one is a quality beer. It has it all, looks, flavor, complexity, body.

07-18-2010 12:59:30 | More by BeerForMuscle
scottfrie

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

330ml bottle into snifter.

A: Pours a deep mahogany red with a dollop of light brown velvet head that formed a dense film. Could be mistaken for stout.
S: This has got to be one of the best beers I've ever smelled. Bourbon, vanilla, cream, raisins, black cherry, mahogany, cream, orange flavored Flinstones push-up pops, honeydew... did I mention cream? The alcohol just barely pokes through with some light vapor.
T: I'm almost scared to taste this. The smell intimidates me. Here it goes...
Complex is an understatement. Big notes of dark cherries, bourbon, and...cream! Notes of rum-soaked raisins, orange peel, vanilla, doughy yeast and syrupy alcohol.
M: The alcohol shows itself in the finish but isn't hot. Full bodied and creamy. Could use a little more carbonation, but glorious none the less.
D: Why did I wait so long to try this? Actually, I should have waited even long so that my palate could appreciate it more. Not a beer I could drink every day, but definitely one of the best beers I've had the pleasure of drinking. Buy this now.

07-17-2010 05:33:46 | More by scottfrie
djhowell

Wisconsin

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Very dark, opaque brown, looks like a hazy cola. Tan colored head quickly recedes. You could mistake this for an imperial stout it's so dark.
S: Aroma is mostly caramel and dark fruit; you can also detect the alcohol.
T: Rich flavor of sweet brown sugar, dark fruits, some warming booze (but not overwhelming). It's also kind of spicy and a little tart.
M: Medium bodied, smooth. The carbonation borders on being too aggressive on some sips but overall I like it.
D: It's delicious and I could sip on it all day if it weren't for the prohibitively high price and ABV. I'm going to be sure to pick up a few more bottles to cellar and compare to this fresher experience.

07-17-2010 04:27:56 | More by djhowell
Swill5786

Kentucky

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

A - Dark brown chocolate. Thick head withers away quickly. While present, it appeared as though a dash of cinnamon had been sprinkled over it.

S - Transfixing. Fruity, insistent smell of alcohol hiding in the background, waiting to jump out and grab you.

T - Wow. I'm out of my league here. This is unbelievable. I don't quite have the range to describe this... Maybe raisins or other sugary sweet fruit. Caramel, perhaps. Intriguing experience.

M - Thick, heavy brew. Quick burst of carbonation, a brief sweetness on the tongue followed by a sensation of coating the entire mouth with a spicy alcohol flavor which lingers a while after swallowing.

D - Warming, best for a cold day, but I'm enjoying immensely. Will slowly savor each drop over the next hour. Wouldn't want this to pass by without pausing to appreciate the experience.

[After the hour passed: the taste intensified many times over as the quad warmed up. The alcohol taste was dominant by the end - quite powerful. One is more than enough! I look forward to another soon.]

07-17-2010 02:13:11 | More by Swill5786
mcnkuckles

This is quite possibly the best beer I have ever had in my life. If not for the steep price of this beer, I would probably not buy any other beers but this. This is a trappist beer, but is very different from most of the other trappist beers out there because it is exceptionally dark, and does not have the "wheaty" aftertaste associated with most belgiums. The beer pours very dark, and does contain sedement, with a cloudy dark appearance. The smell is a bit smoky, with intense caramel and chocolately tones. The taste is very, very smoothe for such a dark beer, with a very sweet finish, with a little touch of smokiness and bittering, but both working in accord with the heavy chocolate/caramel flavors. I have never drank more than 2 at one sitting due to the price point of this beer, but 2 will definitely put you in a stupor. Perfect beer to accompany a steak, chop, or shank. Would be the perfect beer if not for the price point!

07-15-2010 19:58:34 | More by mcnkuckles
Luk13

Quebec (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

Bottle, from blankboy. Dark murky brown pour. Aroma is just awesome. Blueberries, black currants, sugar cane and a slight wild aroma, kind of earthy/wet hay. Taste is fruity and sweet with a slight herbal bitterness towards the very end. Palate is hot and full of alcohol and it lingers and lingers to no end bringing back all the enjoyable flavors.

07-15-2010 18:54:56 | More by Luk13
kwjd

Ontario (Canada)

4.78/5  rDev +6%

I realized this is my 200th review. I thinked I inadvertantly picked a good beer to do it with. It poured an extremely dark brown with dark'ish head. Tons of lacing and head retention. The smell has lots of dried fruit - cherry and plum mostly - and a hint of sweet chocolate. Some brown sugar too. Flavour is just out of this world. Very nice carbonation level. If the Westy 12 really is better than this one, I can't wait to try it someday (I hope).

07-15-2010 15:41:56 | More by kwjd
jsanford

Georgia

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%

Poured into a Chimay chalice.

A - Deep, dark, cloudy brown with lots of little "floaties". Small, creamy khaki head that disappears quickly.

S - Smells like a box of brown sugar or a dark molasses-y fruitcake. Tons of brandy notes, figs, dates, raisins. Slightly boozy.

T - Wow! Lots of dark dried fruits (dates, figs, prunes) and dark caramel. Sweet, but not cloying. Very complex but balanced, reminds me of a very fine rum. Amazing beer!

M - Lots of prickly little bubbles dance all around the tongue. Much smoother then the ABV would suggest, goes down so easily!

D - I could sip on this all night! I didn't know what to expect from this one, despite being on the Top 100 list. This is an incredible beer, I will definitely be picking up more of these. Can't wait to pair this with a dessert of some kind, just screams digestif to me.

07-12-2010 23:31:51 | More by jsanford
jampics2

4.78/5  rDev +6%

2007 vintage that I opened at a tasting I had this weekend. This was a star of the show, and many beer drinkers and non-beer drinkers alike said how much they loved this.

A reddish-brown liquid sits in my tasting glass. It's hazy and has a beautiful head that pillows and sticks around for a moment, then subsides and leaves good lace. Great looking beer!

Smell is dark fruit (raison, plum, fig) atop caramel malt that has some candy sugar notes as well. The best thing about this beer is the unique yeast. It has a spicy characteristic that makes the nose just kicked up enough, with pepper, clove, a touch of banana, and some pear. Overall, this smells just shy of perfection.

The taste is to die for. Seriously, the flavors are thick and beautiful. Figs and raisons are piled on toffee and caramel malt base. Some alcohol (but well masked) gives an impression of port wine, rum, and/or scotch. Not too boozy, though, great flavors. Sweet with just a touch of bitterness, this finishes with some esters from the yeast (pepper and bubblegum). Just perfect, gives the Westy12 a run for its money. A divine, world class tasting beer.

Body is medium to heavy, with great carbonation for the style. Well done, just not the "wow" I would give a 5 to.

I'd had it before a few times, but when I took the time to savor and examine it, I made a conclusion: I need to keep this on hand at all times, for it is perhaps one of the best beers in the world.

07-12-2010 13:55:06 | More by jampics2
smcolw

3.88/5  rDev -14%

When opened, the bottle starts to bubble over...slowly, thank goodness. Pours with lots of clustered yeast chunks. Less of a head than the '8' or the '6'. It also dies to a single layer. Very cloudy brown. Some streaky lace.

Smells like a watered down brandy, meaning lots of warming alcohol for a beer. Otherwise, it smells like a freshly opened bag of brown sugar.

Highly carbonated, this beer is thick enough to handle it. My wife says it's like drinking chocolate mousse. The sweetness supports that comment--there are elements of chocolate. Lots of malted sugars. The swallow is more of the same but the alcohol is strangely muted.

07-11-2010 23:17:19 | More by smcolw
timonan

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

This is the actually the first quad I've tasted, and, unable to get the #1 in the world, I've "settled" for the Rochefort 10.

A - Deep and dark. Looks like Coca-Cola. Head is big and stays for a while. Brown streaks from the sediment laced through the bubbles. A surprising amount of sediment hovering in the liquid - being a newbie, it's a little overwhelming.

S - Sweet and fruity, cinnamon and raisin notes. The alcohol stands out, but in a warm way.

T - An amazing complexity of flavor! Sweet and warming, with no bitterness. Caramely sweetness, fruits (plum and raisin are strong), a subtle streak of rummy spiciness. The alcohol blends in perfectly with the flavors, not overly strong or surprising - can't believe it's over 11%.

M - Very small bubbles. Rolls around on the tongue nicely. An amazing finish, sweet and clean. The alcohol lingers in the mouth warmly after the swallow with strong sugar and caramel notes.

D - Nothing about this beer is hard to drink. Such an accessible, warming, and wonderfully complex, flavorful beer. Definitely a sipper, but I could sip it all day.

07-10-2010 00:28:45 | More by timonan
devilben02

3.88/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

As one of the most well-regarded beers in the world, this one stands proudly and confidently as a shining example of the style. Regarding its appearance, it is just dark. I will not call it black, but the browns and reds of this beer seem to hide within in an effort to avoid being labeled. The aroma and flavor certainly are not trying to hide, though. The aroma is packed with bold notes of plums, raisins, and yeast that are expected from the style. The flavor is likewise a bold combination of dark fruits that is easily the most potent of any of the quads or Belgian strong dark ales that I have tried.

This boldness in both the flavor and aroma is impressive and enjoyable, but it comes at a bit of a cost, as the flavor starts getting quite sweet as the beer warms. In addition, in contrast to some other Belgian (and Belgian-style) beers, the texture is largely unremarkable and does not provide any relief from the sweet fruitiness of the flavor. Overall, this beer can serve as a benchmark against which the flavor of other quads and Belgian strong dark ales are compared, but the potency of flavors is just a bit too much, and this beer breaks down just short of excellence.

07-08-2010 17:45:40 | More by devilben02