Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
bum732

Lesotho

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown, nice creamy head with great retention. Smells of raisin bread, caramel, toffee, touch of cocoa . Tastes are similar, layers of raisins, caramel, vanilla, brown sugar. Just a touch of bitterness brings some balance. Finishes fairly sweet with some caramel. Nice creamy mouthfeel, low carbonation. Alcohol slightly noticeable.

An excellent beer, lots of different layers and a great creamy body. A great dessert beer, fantastic!

03-21-2010 04:08:42 | More by bum732
adam42381

4.18/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle (dated 071014) into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours an opaque chocolate brown with a 2 finger thick and foamy tan head with a large amount of sediment in the head and throughout the beer. Nice lacing throughout.

Smell: Obvious smell of alcohol mixed with dried fruits and just a hint of malted sweetness.

Taste: Very complex flavor which mixes sweet dried fruits and spices up front. Hints of malt and caramel in the middle and just a hint of something medicinal. The alcohol is fairly strong at the finish and provides a nice warming sensation.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with a high amount of carbonation and a distinct alcohol bite.

Drinkability: Very high drinkability, especially considering the very high ABV. This is one to drink slowly and savor.

Overall: A top quality beer all around. There is a reason this beer is rated so highly. If you see it, buy it.

03-20-2010 03:34:03 | More by adam42381
philbe311

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

A little over two years as a BA, and I have reached my 500th review and I couldn't think of a better beer for the ocassion...

A - Three fingers of light cocoa head quickly retreats in an intriguing and hipnotysing fashion leaving a full frothy creamy lacing with a couple of large chunky bubbles mixed in... Deep murky mahogony brown color mixed with aubergine... A wee bit of light leaks in through the top of the glass when held up to the light... A slight film and some lacing coats the glass...

S - Loaded with sweet dark fruits... Plums... Raisins... Figs... Hints of cherries and raspberries... A touch a vanilla... Just the most sublte hint of booziness and spice...

T - Plums, raisins, and figs abound... Vanilla... A sublte touch of spice... A touch of alcoholic warmth on the finish...

M - Uber smooth... Rich and creamy, and still remarkably light... Just a slight kiss of gentle carbonation...

D - Definately a world class offering... Sophisticated... Stellar all the way around... Insanely drinkable considering the 11.3% ABV...

03-20-2010 02:26:13 | More by philbe311
Gtreid

4.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Thanks to urwithdave for sharing this one. Poured into my Stone RIS tulip.

A: Pours a muddy brown color, with a ton of sediment. Yeast floating all over this one. An average off white head appears and leaves some impressive spotty lace.

A: Big sweet malt profile. Sweet fruit, candy, and earthy hops. Pretty darn spot on for the style.

T: Follows the nose quite well. Very sweet, big malts, candied figs, currants, and more sweet bread. This has to be a pretty fresh bottle, as it is very hot. The alcohol shows up in a big way. Finishes rather boozy.

M: Creamy, with a bite. Carbonation is not lacking here.

D and overall impression: Drinkability would be better if this was aged a little. Again, I think I had a pretty fresh bottle, I would really like to see what this one is like with about 6 months to a year on it. But overall, a very nice example of the style. Skal.

03-19-2010 21:24:20 | More by Gtreid
tippebrewcrew2

Indiana

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

exceptional! The best quad I have tried to this day. The color is off from normal quads with brownish chunky purple but with a beautiful diminishing head. The nose is a truck load of perfectly ripe fruit fresh from the picking with yeast and a light sour tartness on the nose. The palate love this beer. Incredibly smooth and balanced with dark cherry sweetness up front followed by a tart yeast finish. There is very little alcohol present which is amazing since it is 11.3%. Amazing beer. I will cellar my other bottle for a great deal of time. God bless the belgians.

03-19-2010 06:14:22 | More by tippebrewcrew2
TheArse

District of Columbia

4.93/5  rDev +9.3%

This is my very first beer review. I have been sampling and buying craft beer for about a month and a half now. Since that time, I have tried 18 of the world's top 100 - and many more. I figured I would start with my favorite beer in the world.

The appearance is wonderful - a deep mahogany with tones of purple, the obvious result of the dark fruits. Bits of brown and orange-ish settlement float at the top of the beer and stain the brew's head.

The smell is equally amazing. I can't pretend that I can identify each note, but slightly fruity and sweet with the slightest note of alcohol.

The taste is awesome, but I use this word with it's proper intent - awe-inspiring; in an old testament sort of way. The notes that I can identify are the dark fruits and the chocolate or caramel. As the beer warms, the alcohol finish becomes stronger.

The mouthfeel is smooth, creamy and slightly frothy.

Only the slightest of alcohol burns as the beer warms.

Suggestion to beeradvocate.com: disallowing non-english reviews will create a bias to your aggregated results. I suggest that you work to develop a way to allow non-english speakers to review on your site. This will lend further authenticity to your rankings and reviews. Thanks!

03-18-2010 00:00:20 | More by TheArse
ChadQuest

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

The much heralded Rochefort 10. Perhaps no other beer in the world is so easy to obtain yet so exquisite.

Pours a dark midnight brown with a tall off white head leaving lacing all over the place. there is a good amount of yeast dregs floating around the glass. This is almost mouth watering.

The nose gives hints of sliced apples, leading into a earthy flavor that in my mind i always imagine as minerals, maybe from the water source as i notice this in a lot of Belgians. Other subtle fruits like fig and pear give a whisper but not as pronounced as some other quads. Some alcohol heat which i find very attractive and a welcome compliment to the other flavors.

There was a good crisp "psss" when i popped the cap, so i knew there would be nice carbination, and it was a prefect amount. A medium body compliments the flavors nicely.

This is a long time sipping beer, not because its too hot, or not easy to drink, but because it's the only way to properly do it justice. After finishing one of these, almost anything else you could grab would not seem appealing....unless it was a second Rochefort. Well done Monks.

03-16-2010 05:28:10 | More by ChadQuest
manahansf

Indiana

4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a murky dark brown with visible sediment settling down. It has slight orange highlights with a thin and lacy off white head. The aroma is sweet with a nose of grains, dark fruits, and a smooth candied background. The drink is smooth and has a big malty sweet and vinous flavor. There are also flavors of caramel, dark fruits, and nutty grains which blend together in a great complex mix. The body is moderately light with moderate carbonation which allows the complexity to dance around the palate. The finish is sweet and warming as it slowly fades to gentle end.

03-16-2010 02:48:07 | More by manahansf
PeprSprYoFace

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Man what an amazing beer. Not super easy to fing but at least you don't have to trade in order to get this beer.

Pours a dark mahogany brown. I got some of the yeastie floaties in there but that's ok for a person that understands how this beer is made. A BMC drinker wouldn't like it. Thin tan head dissapated to a ring. No visable lacing.

Aroma is awesome. Lots of caramel and Belgian candy. Little bit of dark fruits.

The dark fruits come through a little bit more in the taste but also alot of creme brûlée-ish toasted sugar. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry for all the complexity. High carbonation.

Overall an amazing beer that deserves an awesome score. Non hyped, just tasty goodness in a glass

03-12-2010 00:14:04 | More by PeprSprYoFace
csais75

France

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Earthy with big caramel and grapes notes. Dark beer with yeast suspension. Rochefort is one of the best trappist beer on earth. You got too drink it slownly, like a heavy wine. Perfect in wintertime it will warm your entire body. More than a beer, an experience you're not ready to forget.

03-10-2010 15:23:47 | More by csais75
Chico1985

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Decided to splurge today at Armsby Abbey and get one of the beers on the cellar list, which is a 2006 bottle of this beer. I have had this before but not aged. Poured into the Rochefort goblet, very proper. Poured dark brown with plenty of expected sediment, nice off-white head sticks around pretty well. Smell is huge on this one, excellent and strong. A really great raisin/booze scent. Tastes include raisin, figs, rich chocolate truffle, brown sugar, spice, booze, plum. Maybe the most noticeable thing about the aged bottle compared to a new one is the mouthfeel, much creamier and less harsh on the alcohol. The alcohol taste that is there is very warm and comforting on the stomach. A truly great beer to sip and savor but it's hard to because it tastes so great. The last few sips are full of yeast. At the bar I paired it with some excellent yogurt with cranberries, granola and nuts and while enjoying them they played "Black Out" by Pavement and I was pretty much in heaven.

03-06-2010 22:40:17 | More by Chico1985
antoines15

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

My new favorite beer! That says it all. The only downside to this beer is that I don't know how to pronounce it. It pours very dark and is more carbonated than the beers that I usually like (DIPA). It smells and tastes of chocolate and warms you right up inside. The beer only gets better as you drink it and as it warms. I found myself disappointed that I had only bought one bottle. Anyone who is getting their "good beer" career started should definitely pick this one up, it does not disappoint. If you've never had a quad, I would probably recommend not starting with this, because I'm not sure it gets much better. Cheers!

03-04-2010 00:06:50 | More by antoines15
TMoney2591

4.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Served in a Chimay goblet.

Pours a nearly opaque dark walnut with almost a finger of ecru head that leaves a minimal amount of lacing behind. The smell is delightfully sweet, with notes of figs, chocolate, plums, vanilla, brown sugar, molasses, and wheat coming through and blending nicely. The taste follows, with the molasses, figs, vanilla, and brown sugar coming through strongest. At the surprisingly (but not overly) dry finish a final sugary sweetness pries its way forward, a fitting end. The body is medium, bordering on heavy, moves fizzily smoothly over the tongue, and does not sloggingly cover the mouth, allowing this brew to be highly sippable and enjoyable.

02-28-2010 06:47:44 | More by TMoney2591
AgentZero

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

A - I'm assuming the carbonation is natural, and it's huge. Dirty dark brown pour with sediment floating around, some of it a bit chunky. Moderate dissipation with a little sticky lacing on the sides. Great looking, very natural looking beer.

S - Malty, a little biscuity, dark fruits, alcohol. Smells sweet, kind of a brown or cane sugar smell in there.

T - I am unexperienced with quads, so was worried I wouldn't like this or know what I was drinking. No worry there, at least on the liking it part. Fantastic. Molassas, raisins, a light touch of honey, dark fruit, sugar, and some nice malt. Alcohol cuts through it like a knife, but the sharpness really just helps to balance out the sweetness.

M - Highly carbonated, medium to a little heavy. Warming in the mouth, which definately continues to the stomach.

D - Tastes so good it's easy to drink, and the carbonation helps, but the warmness in my stomach from the alcohol lets me know this isn't one I'm going to be knocking back all night. I will however, drink it enough to the point where I"m nicely drunk, just not sessionable.

02-28-2010 00:59:02 | More by AgentZero
pvs6

Iowa

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

I live in the U.S.A. and cut my teeth on mass produced beer. I didn't and maybe still don't get all the craft beer hype. But, I just finished one of your 10's and went on line to read some reviews others have posted. Maybe I'm thick but I can't see how they get so much wordage out of a beer, Christ knows it's beer you like or you don't. I liked this one a lot, in fact it's the first one of the 6 or 8 craft beers I have ever tried that I didn't think afterwords why'd I pay a much higher price for that. I know what I like without over thinking it and your beer was very good no Great! You should all be proud that your created a taste of what I envision heaven is here on earth.

02-27-2010 02:23:03 | More by pvs6
feelmefoam

South Carolina

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

My first real beer from Belgium, one of my friends brought this back to the U.S. for me. About three months old, a real treat, can't wait to try it.

Pours a dark mahogany color with maroon highlights and tiny pieces of sediment snowing down from a finger of off-white, creamy head. Not a lot of retention, but that's expected from a beer with this much alcohol content. Still, it leaves some pretty nice rings of lacing around the glass.

10 brings a distinct dark quality to the table in the nose. I can smell a bold, slightly spiced blend of several different dark fruits as well as a melty caramel aspect. A brief waft of alcohol, though somewhat diminished by a bit of aging, works well with the sweet and slightly spicy nose, reminding me of rum and scotch in a way. Very fragrant and interesting nose on this one.

The taste is truly exceptional. Up until this point, I had only had American interpretations of Belgian beers, and although they're good, this is the real deal. Sweet, dark raisins and plums show up in the beginning, then get overtaken by a gooey mixture of molasses and caramel. The beer finishes slightly sweet and alcoholic, again reminding me of a smooth rum. Although these flavors show up in stages, many of them linger and pass into the spotlight when others are on stage, creating an amazingly complex and intriguing flavor.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 has a body that is a few notches over medium and when coupled with some mild carbonation (some CO2 probably faded over time), a silky smooth, creamy mouthfeel is produced. The alcohol provides a slight warmth in the finish that makes this very pleasant to sip, especially on a cool night like tonight.

This is perhaps the most drinkable Belgian I've had, I really would love to punish several bottles of this in a sitting, but there are two problems. The high ABV, and the fact that I only have one bottle. Still, this is now my favorite Belgian and one of the best beers I think I've ever had; I consider myself lucky to have had the opportunity to try a beer of this one's merit so early along in my beer-drinking career.

02-27-2010 00:05:52 | More by feelmefoam
dph147

Bottle from Krogers in Morgantown, WV

A - Very dark brown color. Nice three finger head with a light brown color.

S - Very malty with slight buttery hints , possibly raisins, and a faint alcohol smell.

T - Malty, a sugary mix of raisins and light caramel undertones with a sweet taste of alcohol.

M - This is one heck of a smooth beer that goes down easy with a slight alcohol kick.

D - I could drink this all night if it wouldn't put me down after a few. This is a fantastic find in a state that is hard to find more than a handful of tasty brews.

Notes: Incredible beer that I must make sure I don't blow all my money on. Will seek out, and must set a spending limit with this one.

02-24-2010 03:29:02 | More by dph147
mdfb79

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Just had a Rochefort 8 so comparing the two.

a - Pours a dark brown with about one finger of a tan/brown head and a lot of carbonation. Very similiar pour to Rochefort 8 the difference being this pours with a lot of sediment evident throughout the glass.

s - Smells of sweet fruits and malts, as well as a little bread and yeast. No alcohol smell evident. I personally think it smells better and sweeter than the Rochefort 8 did.

t - Sweet fruits and malts again are the big taste. Also small amounts of bready malts, spices, and alcohol. It's a little sweeter than the 8.

m - Medium body with a lot of carbonation. Very similiar to 8.

d - Overall I thought this was a great Quad. Considering it is 11.3% ABV, you really can't tell. I really enjoyed the sweet fruit/malt smell and taste and though it was much better than the Rochefort 8. Will definitely be trying again.

02-24-2010 01:28:34 | More by mdfb79
gyllstromk

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a very dark ruby that's mostly black until held to the light. A light layer of bubbles caps the glass. Nose is vanilla, rum, date, grape, and a hint of licorice. Tasting begins with bubbly dates finishing with vanilla, clove, anise, and a bit of licorice.

02-22-2010 19:24:26 | More by gyllstromk
aubuc1

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from 330 ml bottle in to a goblet. With "260814" and "08:24:"

Pours a dark brown with a steady off white head.

Smell is a huge sweet molassesy bready delight. Bready heaven. Perfect balance.

Taste is rich, bready sweet raisiny. Molassesy with a slight booze.

Mouthfeel is rich and the drinkaility is great considering the booze.

A pleasure to drink. I wish I could afford to buy a case for aging.

02-21-2010 02:23:38 | More by aubuc1
StJamesGate

4.18/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours oxblood with incredibly creamy, clinging beige head that leaves solid sheets. Nose is prune, nutmeg, soil and whiskey barrel. Big sweet caramel-soaked cake malts, underlain with wood, walnut, and pepper. Menthol hops, phenols in there, and Christmas spice burst at the end before tightening. Oily and very round, medium body. Significant burn.

Complex and deep, but just too hot.

This bottle is less than a year from bottling, and I understand it ages well, so I'd be curious to try a cellared bottle. Now, though, drinkability needs to take a hit.

Edit: Drinkability changed to Overall

02-19-2010 21:55:33 | More by StJamesGate
mrf008

Iowa

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance dark with lace of form.

Smell- bit of a fruity smell.

Taste- Very great taste. The fruit comes through very well.

Mouth feel- creamy dose down well.

Drinkablility this is a wonderfull beer. it is very high ACL around 11.3%. i feel like i could have a bunch of these in a row.

02-19-2010 02:18:13 | More by mrf008
OskarL

Sweden

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance - Cloudy with some yeastparticles, dark brown color with a small head that dissipates and leaves some lacing.

Smell - Dark fruits (plumb and raisins), yeast and brown sugar.

Taste - Dark fruits (plumbs, raisins and figs), warming alcohol, lots of malt (some burnt sugar aswell), spicy pepper.

Mouthfeel - Creamy, dry, medium/full body with lots of carbonation.

02-18-2010 18:23:26 | More by OskarL
FreshHawk

A - Deep, mahogany brown with a good sized tan head

S - Lots of dark fruit and rum scents, along with a bit of spiciness (both from alcohol and spices)

T - Full of dark, run-soaked fruit (raisin, plum, fig, dark cherry). There is also a good amount of spiciness to it with peppery and clove flavors (amongst others). Really reminds me of a Christmas Pudding, which is a good thing. Good balance of those sweetish/fruit flavors and a full bready feel. This beer has a warming effect but the alcohol is pretty well hidden.

M - Creamy and smooth. The body is medium to full, but could probably be a bit fuller. No real major complaint though.

D - Really good beer for sipping. Might not be one that I would drink more than one a night, but one that I would definitely drink again.

Notes: I really enjoy this beer, well balanced and pretty complex. Really wonderful to sip on during a winter night.

02-15-2010 21:04:10 | More by FreshHawk
hophead247

4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a hazy brown with a decent sized tan head, very viscous.... Aroma is dominated by cherries and dark fruits, subtly sweet, with a booziness to the aroma... Flavors are quite complex, subtly hoppy, with notes of dark fruits and sweet malts coming through differently each sip... Very carbonated, with a dry finish, medium bodied...I'm becoming more of fan of this style and would definitely try it again.

02-15-2010 18:56:09 | More by hophead247