Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

11oz Bottle

Enjoyed as part of my birthday celebration

Appearance - The beer pours a black/brown colour with a very large frothy light brown coloured head. I can't see much carbonation due the darkness of the beer and there is some faint lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for over 5 minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - malts, dates, an earthiness, molasses, a smokiness

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation and it comes across as slightly creamy on the tongue. I can taste lots of malts, dark fruits (dates?), and molasses. I can also pick up on notes of chocolate and a smokiness/earthiness. It finishes with a dark fruit malty after taste and leaves a but of a warming feeling in my chest.

Drink - The alcohol was extremely well hidden and you'd never know it was a 11% beer. The Drinkability is amazing and it makes the perfect winter warmer/sipper beer.

spinrsx, Mar 04, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -4%

Pour into tulip, minimal head and low head retention with traces of lacing. Nice opaque brown body.

Nose is pungent, earthy and sweet, hard to place, almost cheese?

This is *chewy*, powerful peaty and sweet malt body with plenty of raisin and super-sweet dark fruit overtones. Not a weak beer, not for the faint of heart. It would be hard to one-up this in terms of flavor.

Mouthfeel is quite nice; enough fizz to keep it from being syrup.

Very tasty, but too rich (and correspondingly expensive and high ABV) to keep drinking all night.

zaphodchak, Mar 03, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -15.7%

Beer: Trappistes Rochefort 10
Brewer: Brasserie de Rochefort (Abbaye de Notre-Dame de Saint-Rémy)
Company: Belguim
Style: Quadrupel (QUAD)
ABV: 11.30%

Beer Advocate: Jay Avery
Rating: B+

Well, after hearing over and over again that this bad boy is about as close as I'm going to get to the infamous and extremely elusive (which I have yet to find by the way), Trappist Westvleteren 12, I had to pick up a couple of bottles and check it out. I've been drinking the BSDA Trappistes Rocherfort 8 for years and I've always enjoyed it, but this year I've been really making my way through the big QUADS and I'm loving this end of the beer spectrum! Since I can't get my hands on the Westy 12, I'm gonna have to see what this guy is all about. It's been in my fridge for about 3 months and I'm finally getting around to it, here's my review...

Presentation:
A 330ml bottle with a freshness date of 07/2014, they are generally bottled 5 years before the freshness date which makes this bottle almost 2 years old. Again, my fridge hangs out at about 37 degrees so I had to let this sit for a good 15 minutes before popping the cap off. This review took place on 03/01/2011.

Appearance:
An excitedly aggressive pour into a Corsendonk Tulip. It comes out rusty then settles completely pitch black. Four fingers of bubbles right off the bat with web-like lacing as it sat down into an almost flapjack thick and cream soda head that looked delicious!

Smell:
Alcohol, seriously, it's not kidding... followed by that burned sugar smell like an over flambéed crème brulee, sweet.

Mouthfeel:
Prickly alcohol. Again, it's up front about its strength then a tingle from the carbonation that suits the full and very thick body. A little sour aftertaste that doesn't stick around very long but adds a ton to the complexity and made me actually take a few more tastes to see if I could identify the exact characteristics of what I was tasting on the back end.

Drinkability:
Definitely a sip and savour, it's not something that I'm gonna be slammin' all night. I think one bottle a session and a slow drink with this one to really figure out what's going on is the right approach. At 11.3% it's not a joke and it doesn't pretend to be. This one stands up tall and proud.

Taste:
It's got some serious warming from the alcohol, I think I've mentioned that a couple of times already. The first thing that I taste right after the sting is licorice immediately followed by a peppery spice then a sugary truffle well and hints of figs and nutmeg. Hops are invisible; it's definitely got a malty spine and that dark fruitiness that you expect in a world class Quad. For the complexity, taste and overall experience, I score this one high but it fails on drinkability for me so I can't give it an A, it's a B+ IMHO. However, if this is any indication of how the Trappist Westvleteren 12 is going to be, I can't wait to get my hands on a bottle. If any of you know where I can get ahold of the Unicorn they call the Westy 12, by all means, send one my way!

jayavery, Mar 02, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a very hazy amber-brown body with little kakhi head.
Smells of plums, candied sugar and molases. Hints of caramel and some sweet apple ring out.
Taste is full of dark fruits. Slight cherry, plum, raison and dates fill the palate and some nice crystal malt based caramel come through at the end.
Its mouthfeel is smooth and silky but still a little abrasive.

chaz410, Mar 01, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Believe it or not, I hadn't yet treated myself to the highly acclaimed Rochefort 10 until this tasting. Trappist ales have always been a thing of mystery to me and it boggles my mind to think of these humbled, self-sacrificing, brown-robed monks roaming around their monasteries brewing (and drinking) such Heavenly creations between chants & Bible versus.

I was happy to pour this dark liquid into my secular Duval glass and watch proteins expand and form a web-like lacing along its upper-mid curvature. The nose enticed me through a mystic, damp European forest of aroma; i imagined myself a furry little boar, snout-deep in a burrowed truffle well.

A world of dark, dried and rehydrated fruits, plump, sweetened and condensed greeted my already-salivating mouth. Bursts of soft carbonation massaged my tongue like a relaxing whirlpool after a long day in that cold damp forest. Complex and refined as only a life of contemplation and meditation can create.

I now understand the difference between a secular & Trappist ale; only with a Trappist can you say, "Holy Sh*t, I'm getting drunk!" and literally mean it. Whether or not you are a Believer, you can definitely appreciate this as the work of "god".

burnheartsMKE, Mar 01, 2011

Pure sex in my mouth... That is the only way I can really bring to life the emotion that I have every time I our this... A few days ago I enjoyed it by myself and this evening I shared a bottle with my wife's dad (Russian who doesn't care what it is as long as it has alcohol) and he was speachless after the first sip...

misfit1034, Mar 01, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -7.3%

Vintage dated: 09/01/13 usually dated 5 years after bottling so I assume this is a 3 year old bottle

A: Pours a beautiful oil slick brown, pretty milky with sediment, but I like to agitate the sediment in the bottom of the bottle when I pour my beers

S: Intense notes of fennel on the nose with subtle brown sugar, cirtus and coton candy coming through as well

T: On the palate I get a lot more licorice and banana than I remember, perhaps from the bottle aging? Also notes of toffe, cloves, and dark fruits

M: Has kind of thinned out after 3 years, but still a dynamic mouthfeel with a nice medium carbonation

D: Quite drinkable at 11.3% ABV, a more pronounced herbaceousness than I was expecting, especially compared to the 3 year old Westy 12 I tried it next to. I think it's arguably more complex than the Westy, a beer I think it's deservedly compared to, and while I'd put it in my top 5 quads I've had, I think the Westy still wins out.

nbree00, Mar 01, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a deep coffee color, opaque and a bit cloudy, and much darker than I expected, with amber at the edges and a 1-finger tan head that quickly dissipates leaving no lacing.

Smell is that lovely sweet malty yeasty odor all good Belgian trappist ales have. In this case it's well-rounded and very pleasing, with just a hint of the high alcohol this brew contains. Strong dark fruits, figs... yum.

Taste is rich and sweet, very malt-forward. So much more going on there, though. It's a bit like a sweet fruity bread. Rich, heavy, and a lot of flavors playing around. Dark fruity malts predominate. But there are a lot of subtle flavors that round it out really well. The only issue for me is that it's just a bit too sweet.

Mouthfeel is medium-heavy, rather chewy, with enough stickiness to linger in the mouth. Nice carbonation - not too little, not too much.

This is quite simply a fantastic, delicious, decadent beer. Very complex, with a great malt backbone. The alcohol is nearly invisible, except for a touch in the nose. I could drink it all night, if I didn't start feeling tipsy halfway through my glass.

zeledonia, Feb 28, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured this into a chalice.

This may be my favorite beer on planet earth.

Poured a very hazy brown. Decent head at first that went away after a few minutes. Strong lacing on this one.

Strong fruit notes on this one. More dark fruits like figs, plums and raisins. Very sweet and bready aroma. Then behind it all there is a faint smell of alcohol.

The taste is very similar to the nose. Strong dark fruit taste with perfect carbonation. A perfect combination of fruityness and alcohol.

The mouthfeel is smooth and slightly chewy. Very nice carbonation, low enough to really take in all the flavors of this complex beer.

Very drinkable and world class.

dnolan36, Feb 28, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip.

This may be the most perfectly poured beer I have ever seen. It pours a dark chesnut borwn. The lacing on the glass is the best I have ever seen in a beer. I am not sure the age of this one since I have had it before and not seen it this good, but the one in this bottle is too perfect. Small bubbles lace every part of the glass and it looks just amazing.

The smell is of burnt sugar which I love and a little bit of light fruit. The taste is of dark fruit and more sugar and light spices like nutmeg. It ends with a creamy finish. While this may not seem like a 5 description, they are done so perfectly and blended so amazing, I can almost not even explain it. The mouthfeel is very good with more of a creamy nutty finish. This beer tastes no where near 11.3%. I could of drank this extremely fast and could of drank another just as fast afterwards if I wanted to. By far the most drinkable beer I have ever had and if I could give it a 10 for drinkability I would. It deserves the hype.

mcgwire756, Feb 28, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

3 year old bottle.

A-Dark brown with muddy particles of yeast and a light mocha head.

S=Thin candi sugar sweetness, cotton candy, circus peanuts, licorice, marzipan.

T/M-At 3 years old, this is drinking great. Very thin and refined with light prickly carbonation. Banana, clove and black licorice are right up front, yielding to slick, yeasty tropical fruit flavors and brown sugar in the finish.

D-Best Belgian quad. Drank this side by side with a 3 year Westy 12 and ROchefort came out on top.

DaveHS, Feb 27, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Legendary. In the same vein as St. Bernardus Abt 12. Dark brown look probably less head than St. B 12, but is perhaps a bit more drinkable because of a softer carbonation for such a high abv beer. This is a bit different than St. B 12 in that it smells a tad bit more like fruit than fine sherry (St. B). The taste is less fruity, but as I mentioned more drinkable and dare I say I prefer this beer a bit more because of it. You have to drink this slow. The alcohol is nearly non-apparent, barely even warming. Save this one for the pope, because "beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy!" - B.F.

OttoPeeWee, Feb 27, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to my brother for this kind Birthday gift!

Rochefort 10 appears slightly different out of the bottle than I was expecting. It is kind of a muddy river water dark brown, with deep mahogany and almost greenish hues when held close to light. The head is uniformly dense and dark beige, with tightly packed little bubbles scattered throughout. This head rose to about a finger and a half from a medium pour into my 23 oz. snifter. I cannot see through the body of the beast. Lacing left on the glass is dense and full of arches.

My first thought about the smell (other than a bit of confusion), was that it reminds me of my grandmother's mince meat pie. After a Google search of the ingredients of said pie, this made perfect sense. Certainly, I can smell fig, raisin, plum, and dark cherry, and these dark fruit aromas are supported by spicy smells of cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg. There is also a little bit of a peppery quality to the aroma, as well as toasty notes. Mainly I am impressed how these fruit and spice qualities meld seamlessly with a phenolic odor. It really is a very pointed and cogent smell that needs to be picked apart a bit to find individual characteristics. A fairly heavy alcoholic heat is also an important quality found in the smell, but it is not overpowering at all and adds to the quality of the bouquet. As the beer warms, the fruit and spice flavors emerge and the phenolic character takes a secondary position. Caramelized and brown sugar smells also come out as the beer comes closer to room temperature. Wow, this is a complex and heavy (think Marty McFly) combination of malt and Belgian yeast.

The flavor immediately break forth onto my palate with an earthy, yeasty, peppery flavor combination that transitions more toward dark fruits and sweet spices as it spends more time in my mouth. This reminds me a lot of a fine liquor... almost like the best rum ever made, but without the stinging alcoholic heat- only a lovely, warming contribution from the alcohol. Notes of caramelized brown sugar are a huge component of the taste and really play well off of the dark fruit flavors. The phenolic quality that I ascertain from the smell is fairly hidden in the flavor, and its place as a role player pushes the overall taste over the top. The finish is really quite sweet and brings the dark fruits, namely fig and raisin, to the forefront. However, more sips reveal that the finish is really a combination of the sweet dark fruits and spices and the reappearance of the the earthy, peppery yeast influence. This taste is extremely nuanced and has more components than I can possibly describe, so I will stop this long-winded rant now.

The mouthfeel is a journey through the nuance of this beer. It starts with a very forward earthy/spicy/semi-sweetness on the tip of my tongue, then disperses like an ocean wave over the rest of my palate as the thick sweetness of the malts kick in. The finish is slightly drying, yet the overpowering sweetness of the middle of the sip mingles with the earthy and peppery characteristics to provide an aftertaste that lingers until the next sip.

This is one amazing beer. The care and craftsmanship that must have gone into this recipe over time boggles my mind. There are so many subtleties that complement one another in a symbiotic manner. All that said, yes, I want this again, but it is not something that I could or would want to drink regularly. I think my brain would explode if I did. Lovely beer.

TCHopCraver, Feb 26, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +9.3%

Drank from my Rochefort Chalice.

A -Pours a Mahogany colour with a chocolate like appearance. The head is Ivory in colour and hangs around and laces the whole way down.

S - Wow, Aromas of dark fruit, raisins, figs and yeast and all powerful. I rate this.

T - Abundant flavours of prunes dark fruits a little liquorice and dark chocolate as well as vanilla. The end is so perfect and lingers with well balanced malty booze. This is a 5

M - So unbelievably smooth. Medium body and carbonation.

D - Quads are my favourite style of beer and this beer demonstrates why I love Belgian beers above all others.

eric5bellies, Feb 26, 2011
4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

11.2oz into St.Bernardus Chalice. Coded:030215
A: Pours a light tan head that holds well and has a island of darker froth on the top. The body is a murky beer bottle brown, with suspended sediment. Lacing settles slowly, but slides down the glass.
S: A deep and roasted note, not overly boozy in the aroma at all. Good goes at fig and plum, a deep fruit plate. Medium intensity aroma, with a nice presence.
T/M: A welcome to the warm gathering that is roasted, malted heaven. Cream and warmth come from the sweetness of this beer. Mouthfeel is very smooth. Yeast plays a dominate role in the flavor profiles of this beer, but as do the candied sugars. Finish is long and releases a nice floral numbing.
D:This is one for the savoring, while being almost light on the palate for the abv and the style.

GDBEERMAN, Feb 26, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +6%

A: Poured into a Duvel tulip glass. A brownish hazy color...pretty much the standard iced-tea look of a Quad. A mild head that receded quickly (high alcohol) and left a token cap. High carbonation is evident and keeps rising from the bottom of the glass.

S: Ahhhh! All that I expected and more. Those delicious dark fruit notes of fig, date, raisin, plum, dark cherry are all there. In addition...a tad of funkiness from the yeast strain. Maybe just a tad phenolic as well.

T: First sip was taken too cold and all I got was the carbonation delivered alcohol. A few swirls and some warming revealed what was hidden below...something World Class. This one hits it out of the park as a Quad. Very much similar to my highly favored St Bernardus Abt 12. This also had a little something unique on the back side...for twangy funkiness that is hard to describe...but good! All the dark fruits come through. Delicious figs, dates, raisin, prunes, dark cherry, slight strawberry, and a touch of molasses and vanilla perhaps. Sweet malt. The whole package is there. Excellent lingering malt sweetness on the palate. Perfectly balanced.

M: Medium body. Amazingly smooth. Creamy rich. A fresh head with each swirl. A pleasure to drink.

D: I could drink this every day. I had this one before lunch and with no breakfast. Awesome...and you finally get the well hidden (11.3%) alcohol at the end....it does sneak up as this is soooo smooth.

O: Outstanding. I fully understand why so many rate this beer as highly as they do. Definitely an epic drink. In my top 2 Quads and certainly in my top 5-10 beers across all styles...Period!!!

Brunite, Feb 25, 2011

Bottled May 26, 2010.

Pours a very deep, dark brown with almost no head. That may be due to a fairly slow pour.

For me, the smell is similar (though certainly not identical) to the Rochefort 8, but not as strong. Sweet malts, somewhat fruity.

The taste, however, is very noticeably different than the 8. Plum and cherry, quite sweet, and toffee, quickly followed by a fairly powerful alcohol taste. Reminds me of a nice dark rum, in fact, but obviously not as strong. Personally, I think the alcohol taste is lovely. There is a lot going on in this beer. I suppose I could try and identify a bunch of different flavours, but I will simply say that it is tastes incredible. Just a wonderful, wonderful beer.

Mouthfeel is also excellent. Wonderfully full-bodied, and just the right amount of carbonation- you notice it jumping around a bit in your mouth, but only slightly.

Drinkability is hard to say. It tastes and feels wonderful, so in a sense it is incredibly drinkable. However, it is a very strong beer, and is certainly a sipper. You wouldn't want it to go quickly anyway.

jrenihan, Feb 25, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -15.1%

The biggest of the legendary Rocheforts weighs in at over 11% ABV, so it's no small beer.

Doesn't look like a small beer, either. Pours clean (in my case into a tulip glass) with minimal head on a medium pour. It's a deep, murky brown with hints of red at the edges but otherwise totally opaque.

The aroma is overtly boozy similar to a big barleywine style ale. If you pay close attention you get some hints of figs and caramelized apples, but the big, malty alcohol smell dominates. It's certainly a STRONG aroma. Whether or not it's a *good* aroma depends on your tastes. Lovers of giant IPAs, for instance, won't see the appeal. Easy to see opinions will vary wildly on this one.

However, as it warms, the aroma mellows a bit, revealing wafts of malt and raisin. Much more pleasant closer to room temperature.

Once you start tasting the alcohol is less noticeable, though it's still very much present. Here you start to get a nutty caramel and pumpernickel and other Earthy brown breads. The taste starts mild, then expands GREATLY into a yeasty burst of pleasingly musty flavors before finishing with an alcohol-laden shimmer of mildly sweet breads and dried fruits.

Feels like the other Rocheforts on the mouth, which is to say pleasantly carbonated and very full-bodied; nary a hint of wateriness and rich with a very tangible feel on the tongue.

If the 10 falters anywhere it's that it demands a different approach than most beers - and that may throw folks off. This should be sipped. Not just because it's potent, but because it drinks best that way. The 6 and 8 are both highly drinkable, but the 10 casts an imposing, alcohol-heavy shadow on them. Many American crafts manage to meet or even exceed this ABV without the alcohol coming to the fore. Not here. Here it wants to arm wrestle you. American craft lovers have been spoiled with easy-to-drink big beers; the Belgians aren't playing that game. This is not for the faint of heart.

I suspect the 10 probably ages WONDERFULLY and would be far more drinkable in a year's time, but at less than six months old this one is relatively young and feisty.

Still, a quite excellent beer that will only get better with time. I look forward to trying cellared bottles a year and two years from now.

Shoegaze99, Feb 25, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Bottle poured into chalice

Appearance: Finger sized head on top of a dark brew. It looks a bit dirty.

Smell: Fresh peach/apple pie, toffee, chocolate. Light, clean fruit scent.

Taste: Very sweet flavor that is cut by the alcohol. Alcohol flavor warms at the end with a lingering tart flavor. Crushed berries, chocolate, honey... nice mix of flavors.

Not too bad. Needs.... to be less expensive. That would make this brew a bit more drinkable. One or two is worth the price, though. It's also a tad too sweet.

wmtxbb, Feb 24, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

11.2 ounce bottle dated 09062015. Bought for 5.49 at Whole Foods here in Raleigh.

Pours a deep brown color. Surprisingly small head on this one, though I poured extra carefully because I had problems with yeast sediment in the last 8 I had.

Aromas of raspberries, dark fruits, toffee, and chocolate. A hint of alcohol in the nose. Somewhat similar to a big red wine in the nose. Probably the best smelling beer I've had thus far.

Taste very much mirrors the smell, especially up front. Doesn't remind me of wine as much in the taste. I think the raspberry and chocolate flavors are reduced compared to the nose.

Excellent mouthfeel. Not too syrupy, and a light but complementary amount of carbonation.

A slow sipper, but more because I want to drink it slowly than because I have to. Probably my favorite beer at the moment.

slowbie, Feb 24, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Very good beer that went down much easier than expected. Had wonderful rich flavor that disappeared quick. I am a huge fan of Rochefort, I personally enjoy the 8 and 6 much more however. I feel they are the best trappist ale I have had to date. A++++

shanetemple, Feb 24, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

This may be my favorite quad of all time to date, and I've had the big ones.

A: A nice purple-brown cloudy color with a small ring of tan head and no lacing.

S: A great raisin and prune based smell with big aromas of plum, brown sugar, sugar coated tangy fruit, belgian malt, sweet alcohol and more dark fruit to boot. A very nice aroma.

T: Incredibly complex and rich Quad with a sticky, sweet and refined malt backbone. Exquisite dark candied fruit flavors abound with notes of brown sugar and molasses, spicey clove, grapes, prunes/raisins and more in an extremely well balanced bouquet of flavor that obviously is time tested and quality tested.

M: Very, very smooth and amazingly not hot at all. Viscous in a very nice way. Outstanding.

D: What an awesome beer. Why have I not been buying this every time I see it at the store?

Dreadnaught33, Feb 23, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Brown pour with a bit of purple perhaps. About one finger of slightly off-white head that recedes quickly, but laces wonderfully.

S: I honestly smell a bit of a red wine in this one. Very sweet, a bit of Belgian yeast and alcohol. Also some dark fruits, plums specifically.

T: Sweet up front on the taste, gives way to a powerful hit of dark fruits. Slight Belgian yeasts and a hint of alcohol at the end. Truly one of the best tasting beers I've ever had.

MF: Light to medium, with a tinge of carbonation. Alcohol is left on the palate.

D: Very high. You can hardly tell the ABV is more than 10%, the flavor is phenomenal, and the smell is wonderful. Really blown away by this one.

russwbeck, Feb 22, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -4%

A very interesting beer, I purchased this one to enjoy with some cheeses. 12 oz bottle poured into a 64 oz drink mug.

A: Dark and hazy with quite a bit of residual sediment yeast left in the bottle. Very slight head but what head it will give you clings tenaciously. Lacing is like a rich cappucino froth.

S: Buttery, nutty and smoky on the nose.

T: Rich and flavorful with a cheese-like quality. Esters are noticeable yet are subtle enough to leach off the tongue with the gentle coaxing of the hops. Fades slowly to almost no aftertaste. Very slightly sweet from the hops with burnt sugar smokiness.

M: Rich and full bodied. Assertive carbonation slows down the drinking.

D: Very nice and really should be enjoyed with breads, cheeses or a hearty meal.

Aiptasia, Feb 22, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +2%

Pours beautifully. A deep maroon its almost black. Huge head that just doesn't go away.

Nose is surprisingly underwhelming (in comparison to every other aspect of this fine beer), with bits of banana, bread, and cherries.

Mouth is so complex it's almost overwhelming. Cherries mixed with a doughy cakiness. This is more like a pastry than a beer. Beautifully balanced, I also get hints of a bubble gum flavor. There is a liquor flavor that gives away the high alcohol content.
This is fruity and full. Highly, highly recommended.

rinhaak, Feb 21, 2011