Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -17.3%

Served at 55 degrees F in a chalice.

Its color was a very dark burgundy. Looks almost like a dark nut brown ale. The head was not substantial. It faded to an almost nonexistent film.

I smelled fig, molasses, apple, candied dark fruits. It's on the sweet side with a buttery undertone.

Its taste matches the aroma . The flavor profile is complex but balanced fairly well, if not a bit sweet. The sweetness hit me first, with notes of fruit and brown sugar. The profile fades slowly to a smooth caramel malt with notes of brown sugar rearing its head again at the end.

Mouthfeel is mainly creamy and appropriate for a quad. Carbonation comes alive when combined in the mouth with food, especially a jam or jelly.

Drinkability is pretty good. The above average sweetness may be an obstacle to some, but the high ABV is hidden beautifully, so that's a wash.

jbertsch, Apr 04, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance: Nice dark pour with small foamy head. Foam dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell: Nice dark malty aroma with caramel hints. I think I also get a raisin scent in there too.

Taste: Starts very nice and I can definitely tell this is going to be a strong sipping beer! The second drink definitely hid the alcohol much better. Well balanced dark malty taste. This beer gets better and more complex with every drink!!

Mouthfeel: Nice and clean on the palate. Finished really smooth.

Overall: I think this is a great beer. I will definitely crack another one of these real soon.

gratefuld, Apr 03, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

Review #1000.
Semi sweet fruit aroma. Very consistent. Hints of phenol. Soft alcohol.
Huge full dark head. Couldn't completed bottle on first pour into a Chimay goblet. Very dark body, looking near black with dark red held in light. Lots of floating yeast.
OMG so smooth. Again the deep fruit with a creamy flavor that resembles vanilla (and comes across like fruit and cream). The alcohol is quite concealed yet offers an enjoyable warmth. A nicely fading flavor with minimal bitterness. A slowly fading fruit.
Exceptional feel with full yet incredibly soft carbonation. Body is moderate, but that's so underwhelming a descriptor as the feel is sublime.
I've had more complex beers. I've had more flavorful beers. But none have done better with mixing the pleasure of the flavors and the unbelievable mouthfeel. I can't give a 5 for overall since a guy couldn't make a night of these (it would end early - although it would make an enjoy, albiet quick night). I'm glad I saved this for this personally important event. It was truly exceptional and I will buy this beer for another special occasion.
Best by date 160713, so I must have received this about 2008 (thanks Linda).

garymuchow, Apr 02, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +6%

Appearance - Black opaque body. Lots of sediment visible when held to light. Small off white head with low retention.

Smell - Slight vinegar scent and pronounced dark fruit sweetness.

Taste - Plenty of complexity. I was seriously caught off guard with this beer. This is the most highly regarded beer (according to BA) that I've had so far. Very hidden alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Lively on the tongue, despite the general lack of carbonation. Full body.

Overall Drinkability - Highly drinkable. Very smooth, especially considering the ABV.

ZenAgnostic, Mar 29, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -8%

A-dark chestnut with a thin light tan head

S-caramelized belgian sugars. has a slight burnt scent to it. good strength

T-comes in with a potent hit of caramelized belgian sugars. it definitely tastes like a really strong beer. the more i drink it, the stronger it comes. the after-taste is filled with bananas and grapes. its definitely not as great as people make it out to be, i think the ABV hits too hard.

M-thick high carbonation with a dry finish

D-well this is definitely a sipper. i wasn't too impressed with this one compared to other dark belgians. it just doesn't go down easily. it was actually sorta difficult to finish. It is unique though and complex. Though its not my favorite. It's something I'll be coming back to every once in awhile.

AdamBear, Mar 27, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

A: a deep brown colour with some dark amber hue, a richy two-finger, persistent, clear brown head, it takes a while to disspiates. Constant and permanent carb. On the head looks like if there is ground cinnamon, almost like a capuccino. some waste left

S: a deep caramel malt notes, some roast and fruitm, i would say raisin and plums

T: what a balanced beer, there is sweet, there is bitter and there is alcohol presence, but you never get too much of anything, it feels great on throat.

M: i would say a medium-light body as i mentioned perfect balanced, the 11.30% is not feel on your mouth

treque, Mar 26, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330mL bottle, with freshness date of 260515. which I understand they are dated 5 years, so bottled on May 26, 2010. about 10 months old. poured into goblet.

appears an opaque deep chesnutt brown color, with 1/4" cream colored head of tiny creamy bubbles. head stays.

aroma of dark brown sugar, fermented fruit, spicy herbal notes.

tastes of oak, vanilla, plum, raisin. complex flavors. slightly peppery finish. slightly boozy. extremely smooth, with tingly carbonation. medium body, not too thick, keeps it easy to drink.

great sipper to let warm and bring out the flavors. good nightcap.

jmdrpi, Mar 25, 2011
4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I think I have had this one since the end of 09. Figured today was as good a time as any to open it. Bottle poured into my Delirium tremens tulip.

A - Pours deep dark brown with a huge fizzy two finger off white head, dissipating down to a thick film, leaving thin sheets of lacing down the glass.

S - Smells of rich dark fruits like raisins and dates, candied sugar, banana, dulled chocolate, light spice, and some light alcohol heat. Very nice overall balance. I have had this fresh but I think I now prefer it aged for a few years.

T - Flavors are similar to the nose with the addition of a bit more booze. The balance of dark fruits, candied sweetness, and light heat is a nearly flawless. The finish is a bit dry with a mix of sweetness and dulled heat, lingering for a short while. Overall this is one of the best trappist quad's you can find. I have had this fresh, and while it is still good, I think it just gets better with age.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Full bodied with some dryness. Finish is a mix of dark fruit sweetness and some dulled alcohol burn.

O - Pretty good. I have had a few of these now and I think I prefer it aged. When it is fresh the booze is a bit overpowering but after a few years it really seems to die down. I am glad I stashed this one in my cellar. One of the best for sure.

orangesol, Mar 24, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very murky dark chestnut brown with a large tan head. Excellent retention and thick lacing.

Smells of ripe dark fruits and wine-like alcohol.

Tastes malty and fruity with a strong alcoholic undertone that perks up the nose hairs on the exhale. Slight toffee flavor and a touch of grain. Fairly balanced, though leaning toward the sweet side as expected. Slightly dry finish.

Prickly carbonation. Medium bodied.

Very good, but not as good as all the hype. For the money I would take an Ommegang Three Philosophers or St. Bernie 12 over this every time.

Hoagie1973, Mar 23, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance - Muddy brown color with 1/2" head
that laces the glass and settles
extremely slow.

Smell - Has a strong fruity smell with
raisins and figs.

Taste - A strong sweet taste that stays
with the palate.

Drinkability - Very rich to drink more than one
but a satisfying treat to the taste buds.

GuinNess86, Mar 23, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured into Tulip

A: Dark muddy brown/ Coffee. Nice head that dissipates with some really nice lacing.

S: Huge fruits up front; Mainly dried. Thinking big Raisins, dates, then getting some sweet molasses. looking forward to first sip!

T: The smells definitely transfer to the palate. Smooth dark sugars, apricot (?), dates and RAISIN!!! Where is all that alcohol i was expecting?

M/D: A treat. Im looking forward to cellaring the rest and seeing the complexities change in the next couple years. Very robust character to this brew. Surprisingly drinkable for an 11.3%...even dangerous ;).

OldRaysputin, Mar 23, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

Had this in a bottle in a nice goblet at one of the greatest beer bars in Singapore. Dude has over a few hundred types of beer! Had a great chat with him over beers. But back to the main point...

I was pleasantly surprised that he had this beer to start with. It poured a nice dark out in my goblet. Had a sniff, so much complexity in terms of smells, yet simply sweet.

Very good first taste, tasted fruity, nutty and yet a little spicy (pardon me if I am a little wrong. It's been 2 weeks since and I had another 2 more Trappist beers on that day). Aftertaste was nice and fragrant.

Very much a beer to drink SLOWLY. Not for the weak hearted as this is a very strong beer. Recommended as a later drink in your beer course to end it all with. (I started with Chimay Red - Orval - Rochefort 10)

bearish, Mar 22, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +9.3%

Serving type bottle poured into a snifter.

A This beer pours a very nice brown color which reminds me of muddy water, with a fairly long lasting head.

S The nose of this beer is very fruity and sweet, with hints of raisins and yeast.

T The taste of this beer is almost identical to the nose. Very strong taste of grapes in fact almost wine like, with only a hint of alcohol.

M The mouthfeel of this beer is very smooth for it's ABV and style, but is still thick.

Overall this is an amazing beer and one of my favorites, not a session beer by any means but it is worth spending an evening sipping on.

beerandcycling88, Mar 22, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

It's my birthday and 300th review at the same time; good enough an excuse to open what will become the most highly-reviewed beer on BA I've written up. Bottle dated: 050214 14:47. I'm guessing that's a best before 2014? Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Rochefort 10 displays an opaque nutty-mahogany body with a good cover of creamy beige head (especially for its ABV) sticking around until the last drops (and easily replenished with a swirl of the glass). Not too much lacing. Lots of tiny solids are suspended throughout. I'm not sure I've ever seen a beer this colour before; beautiful stuff.

The nose is mostly all malty goodness: rum-soaked raisins, strawberry shortcake, cinnamon bun, demerarra sugar. Very bready and sweet but cut with just enough earthy hops.

Taste is very similar to the nose, with tons of malt balanced with a solid hop backing. Simultaneously incredibly complex and balanced. Bready malt, raisins and figs in the mouth; drying dark pine, cocoa powder and cinnamon stick on the finish. Alcohol does show but it blends in pretty well; maybe I would have left this to age another year or two, ideally, to really smooth out all the alcohol.

Typical amazing Trappist mouthfeel. Silky, creamy medium body with low-moderate carbonation.

This is one of the few beers I've had that really tastes like a work of art. Obviously it's not sessionable by anyone's definition; I would probably never want more than two or three in one sitting. Still, it's supremely drinkable for what it is. I'm not generally a big fan of quadrupels but this is an amazing brew.

eat, Mar 22, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz bottle poured into goblet; best by February 3, 2015.

A: Pours a deep dark brown, one finger of fizzy head that dissipates very quickly. Lots of sediment; little lacing.

S: Fruity and spicy; overall quite sweet with plums, raisins, and white grapes, though the spices add a bit of balance. Ethanol makes an appearance but it's far less dramatic than I expected considering this beer's high ABV and rather light-bodied aroma.

T: Very sweet, syrupy, and extremely fruity- many of the same fruits that showed up in the aroma, with an emphasis on the grapes. Light ethanol comes through once again, but less than I would expect from the ABV.

M: Medium/rather light body, with moderate but fizzy carbonation. Some warmth with the alcohol.

O: A good beer; maybe my appreciation of quadrupels isn't up to par yet, as I didn't find it exceptional. Worth a try when you're feeling like spending a decent penny on a beer that, judging from the rest of the reviews here, could be one of your favorites.

AwYeh, Mar 20, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Wonderful appearance with a nice dark caramel color. Nice frothy head. Minimal lacing on the glass.

B: Smell is pleasant and very full. Hint of alcohol but not too strong.

T: My palette is not as trained as most so I will just describe the taste as very pleasant and not overpowering. You wouldn't even know it has 10 +%. Sweet, caramel, banana definitely you want more with every taste. Too bad I only bought one bottle :(.

M: Very bubbly on the tongue. Wouldn't of expected any less from a Belgium.

O: Very glad I tried this. Gotta love the monks.

brewdenver, Mar 20, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Pours a dark amber brown, with just a lace of head around the rim and a bit of carbonation, but with the high ABV, it's to be expected.

S: I'm getting a yeasty, bready, caramel, dark fruit smell going on. It smells like a...tart, jam filled doughnut, or something like it.

T: The initial taste is a very smooth sort of black currant, with the middle filling out a more raisin note, and the lingering taste is almost a dark berry or fig sort of note, but at the same time creamy and barleyish. It tastes *$&%in great.

M: It's very smooth and surprisingly fizzy for the ABV, and a bit filling.

O: Excellent. For guys that don't drink, these monks are doing an excellent job. I didn't even know about that a subtype of belgian ales called quadrupel existed, but I'm glad I discovered this.

I actually came to know of this one's existence through a guy on one of the forums I'm on, and he's always raving about a "Rocheforte 10" that he's drinking...and after looking into it, I got myself a bottle and here we are. Excellent brew.

Krakistophales, Mar 18, 2011

A- pours a murky brown with lots of floating sediment throughout it. A good two finger tan colored head on top and fantastic lacing. Carbonation flows throughout the glass like champagne.

S- Belgian yeast and caramel malts all over the place. Has a sweet smell of dark fruits and raisins. Wish they made an air freshener of this smell. Absolutely perfect.

T- WOW!!! Dark fruits, sugars, caramels, it's all there. It's incredibly complex but at the same time so simple. Wonderful smooth finish. I could drink this down and never get tired of it.

M- Creamy medium to thick feeling. Smooth over the palate. You would think that all that sediment would be present but you can't even tell it's there. It just goes right down just as smooth.

D- I cannot get enough of this one. It is ranked as one of the most popular beer on this site for a reason. By far the best beer i have ever had.

stckhndlr, Mar 16, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -10.2%

A: Pours murky brown with 3 fingers of beige head. Head recedes into a ring with decent lacing.

S: Strong buttery scent up front, which is odd. Underneath that are dark fruits like dates and plums and a Belgian yeasty aroma.

T: Again, there's that buttery flavor to it. Dark fruits follow along with some yeastiness. The finish has a decent alcohol burn to it as well.

M: Medium body and carbonation, this beer is nice and crisp, belying its gravity.

D: Very drinkable for such a big beer. I've had it before and don't remember the buttery aspect to it. Maybe this is just a much fresher bottle than my others. Overall, still a great beer.

n2185, Mar 16, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

Incredible and Inspirational. An amazing beer. Upon opening the nose was intense. I could smell the beer from 2 feet away. All Kind of dark fruits, sweet bananas, wood, alcohol available in the fine nose. A copper colored beer. pillowy head was incredible.

Then the best part...the first taste...wow...dark cherries, plums, apricots, bananas, prunes, raisins, all kinds of dark fruits, Caramel, and Toffee. There is NO ALCOHOL TASTE AT ALL... My wife who is not much of a beer fan loved this beer.

An incredible Belgian ..absolutely! I paid 6.49 for this beer. I find it funny that people will complain about the price of one of the best beers in the world but will go to a restaurant and pay more the 5.00 for a commercial beer?

I still haven't had Westy 12 yet.

GoldenChild, Mar 16, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Murky brown with yeast and trub. Light off-tan head. Possibly one of the best looking beers I've ever had. Aroma is quite layered mix - cabernet, sherry, plum, raisin, and almost a sweet/sour finish. Flavor is smooth in every way - sweet raisin, plum, brown sugar, merlot. Explodes on the palate. No alcohol flavor even in the slightest. Flavor lasts forever. Not my style of beer and probably will never have again, but very worthwhile to experience.

arkurzynski, Mar 15, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

This is strongest and most memorable of the Belgian strong dark ales I've had. Pours dark, smells strong. The first two or three sips you really notice the alcohol, but also the amazing flavor. As you go through the glass, the alcohol fades to the background, and you are left with a fantastic, complex taste. By the end of one bottle, all I thought of was having another. Two are doable, but hard to imagine a 3rd. This is a truly special beer.

ChestSplitter, Mar 15, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from an 11.2 ounce bottle into a Duvel tulip. A massive 2 fingers up buttercream head formed on top of the purple/mahogany body. The bubble on bubble formation of the head slowly dissipated, leaving behind tons of lace. Insane legs.

The nose has tons of dark fruits...figs, raisins, plums. The backround finds a deep, sticky caramel aroma.

The flavor falls in line with the nose almost perfectly. The dark fruits dominated up front...sugary center gives way to a still sweet but boozy finish.

The mouth feel borders between medium and thick...somewhat astringent with a dry finish.

It's easy to tell why this is one of the highest rated beers out there... super tasty and complex...the boozy finish is the only thing that holds is down a little.

mgbickel, Mar 15, 2011

A- Pours a dark brown color with a one finger tan head. Good retention and sparse lacing.

S- Bunch of sweet caramel malts with large amount of candy sugar up front. Plenty of dark fruit follow, raisins. Nice belgian yeast also comes into play toward the end.

T- Brown sugar is the first thing I pick up, then darker fruits with with black cherrie and raisin. A bit of spicy character to it as well.

M- Medium mouthfeel, but somehow more slick then other beers.

D- This beer is one of the best for the style that I've tried, everything in balance, makes you want to go back for more.

chilly460, Mar 15, 2011

Had this one in my beer cellar since I purchased it in 2007. That makes it at least 4 years old.

Appearance - A refreshing hiss emerged as I gently removed the cap. Dark amber, bronze in color. The tan head only forms a slightly less than one-finger depth, but it lasts, and lasts. The fine carbonation feeds the retention of a modest 1/4 inch head long after I finish the pour. It appears "nice legs" would be a correct phrase to use to describe the lasting carbonation, even after aging it as long as I have.

Smell - Yeast, bready, figs, plumbs, some zesty aromas as well. Perhaps pears is the best way of describing this amazing nose. Very refreshing. Light, but at the same time multifaceted.

Taste - ok, the head is still present. This is impressive. Oh wait, I'm supposed to talk about the taste. Rich, fruity, very complex in the sense that there is some much going on. ok...anise..yes, anise is predominate. Also some sweet caramel as well. Figs as well. what the hell? The head is still present? wow...impressive. Roasty malt/barley comes through as well. Not even a hint of a boozy quad hit on this one. No wonder the monks were happy after quaffing this one and why they saved it for special occasions. The malty goodness shines through. No hint of ABV here. Amazing.

Mouthfeel - Creamy, (oh did I mention the head is still present?) moderate density. Not too harsh/dense, while not too wispy.

Drinkability - You know, with the multitude of varieties that are "beer", you should not overlook some of the classic styles that you can point to and say, "That will stand the test of time, fads, opinions, etc." This, my friends, is one of them. Should all all things pass away (i.e. barrel-aging, mad "over-hopping", twists on styles (i.e. lemongrass instead of coriander in a witbier)), go back and look to the roots of a style. You will be impressed with what time has provided as a standard/yardstick by which all others are to be measured. I cannot believe this is as easily available as it is. I can go down to my local beer store and by this. Go now and do the same. I challenge you to do so. Apart from a Westy 12, this is the my top pick for best representing the style. It beats the Westy 12 only because I can go and buy it now.

p.s. Yes, the head is still present. What is this made of?

Nesued, Mar 15, 2011