Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
Blanco

4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a very dark reddish brown color with a white head that quickly fades to a film on top. Very strong sweet caramel notes coming from the smell, belgian yeasts. The caramel is there, but not nearly as strong in the taste. slight burn from the alcohol is there as well, but nothing terribly overpowering. Very nice malt taste as well. There is a lot going on here. The mouthfeel is great. It feels thicker but light at the same time, slips down the throat with some zip on the tongue. feels like a party in my mouth. This is a very drinkable beer especially given the ABV. I like this beer. I'm glad I tried it and will rate it highly because it is crafted with as much artisanal skill as any beer I've ever had. That said, it's not going to be a go to beer for me, but rather a once in a while treat and not one I would have more than one or two (if I had a 750) of in one night.

10-12-2010 00:36:09 | More by Blanco
jneiswender

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a small chalice. Served cool.

A-light cola like body and a very thick tan head

S-strong malt smell, I mean I smelled this beer from several feet away, some grass and caramel

T-candy, plums and booze.

M-full and highly carbonated

D-somewhat coarse tasting compared to others in this style but still a very good beer to sip. I would drink this beer again.

10-12-2010 00:21:28 | More by jneiswender
VaTechHopHead

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Unfiltered deep mahogany brown with a dense/creamy very light tan head. Lots of lacing and can see some carbonation on the sides up the glass.

S - Still a little cold but lots of phenols (candied dates, raisin, plum, dark fruit). A little medicinal, slight sour yeast funk. Pretty complex

T - Wow, flavors all over the place. Big plum sweetness, figs, candied sugar, dark sweet bread. Uber complex and wonderful.

M/D - Medium heavy body with a sweet finish. Very lightly carbonated and has a velvet-like texture. Waaay too easy to drink and the complexity of the flavor begs for another sip.

I now see why this beer is in the top 10.

10-10-2010 00:53:41 | More by VaTechHopHead
ykncornelius

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

This is a relatively young bottle, given the date printed on the front, so I was interested to see how it compared with the more aged tastings I've normally seen for TR10.

Poured a rich rich brown held up to light, with glints of amber and flashes of garnet. In the glass it's nearly opaque, with a big frothy thick tan head, which left very little lacing on my glass--a credit either to the alcohol or the condensation, as I'm pouring it right from the fridge.

The aroma hit me with 1) figs 2) rum 3) alcohol...though the alcohol smell was so distant and well-masked I would've believed this thing was 8%. Other smells are in there as well, subtle and enticing: malts and sugary sweetness. Really can't wait to sip.

And so I sip. The nose didn't lie; I'm tasting dark fruits in all their sweetness and glory. Given the age of this bottle, I'm also not surprised that the booziness is showing through a bit. It hardly detracts--it feels like sipping Port or Calvados. Do they even put hops in this brew? This is figgymaltsugarbooze heaven.

The bubbles are as fine as champagne and feel just slightly effervescent, contributing to a rich and decadent mouthfeel. It's perfect. The substantial yeast adds another texture element.

This thing is so complex, so well-made, so perfect for aging and enjoying for years. It's the kind of beer you don't fully appreciate until you've sampled hundreds of lesser breeds (this Bud's for you) and realize you've arrived at the pinnacle of a style.

I want another.

10-08-2010 21:55:43 | More by ykncornelius
bigdonniebrasco

Kansas

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance: dark mahogany brown, some head develops but quickly dissipates to a crown and some bubbles, slight haze

Aroma: richly fruity and sweet, deep notes of prunes and clovey spice, quite phenolicy, also an usual guava scent

Flavor: a lovely full maltiness with a rum-raisiny undercarriage, fairly sweet initially, then the peppery alcohol takes over, then a pleasant hop bitterness, finish is semi-sweet w/ a pruney aftertaste and some residual bitterness, very complex

Mouthfeel: full bodied, terse carbonation, blooming alcohol warmth w/out burning

Overall Impression: What a great beer! The flavor just BLOOMS in your senses. Also has a wonderful cognac-like essence. Rochefort is truly one of the best Trappist breweries. World class!

10-08-2010 01:36:38 | More by bigdonniebrasco
mikeborglum

Missouri

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%

A: Dark brown color with a big light tan head good retention.

S: Coffee,dark fruits and bread.

T: Malty sweetness with good balance; earthy hops; Raisin, plum, cherry notes. Very complex.

M: Excellent smooth creaminess!!!!

D: Drinks like a wine; must sip and savor the wonderfullnes!

Serving type: 330 ml bottle dated 030215

10-08-2010 00:18:59 | More by mikeborglum
Dunkle

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

Shared with a friend; poured into an 8 oz glass. The label says 290414, meaning this was bottle on April 29, 2009.

A: Dark brown with a small frothy, tan head. Quite cloudy with plenty of sediment at the bottom of the glass; this was a turn off. Lacing throughout with the bubbles creeping up.
S: This smells like sweet fruit and malts.
T: The various dark fruits are noticeable from the get-go. This brew has a very complex flavor; I taste raisins, figs, candied sugar, chocolate malt, and some spices as well. A warming aftertaste lingers after each sip.
M: Full feel, yet smooth. Almost ideal.
D: This is too hot for me. The alcohol is barely hidden at all. One is enough for me.

This pales in comparison to St. Bernardus 12, but is still an excellent brew.

10-04-2010 20:47:08 | More by Dunkle
yapi

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

Well, I'm drinking them in a lot of Bruges' Pubs, like the Estaminet or 't Risico, they are usually one of the most expensive beers on the beer menu, with prices being average op 4,50 euro a bottle.

L: "she's got the looks..."

S: Malt, fruit, some candy, smells like a plate of buttermilk filled with 2 big spoons of brown sugar. Childhood memory!

T: Sweet, and I love sweet, reminds me of some barrel proof rum, and the taste has also notes of that delicious plate of buttermilk with 2 big spoons of brown sugar! Yes, just incredibly good! Dark fruit, raisins. Plums. And of course the caramel comes back once in a while... this would pair very good with a ramon allones specially selected, or a por larranaga petit corona. First one has a honey tone, last one a good caramel taste...

F: Feels great, a bit thick, but I love that.

All round: my favourite beer at the moment, that I refuse to drink all weekend long, just too good in hiding the ABV...

I'm drinking my first Westy 12 in 2 days... I hope it can rival...

10-04-2010 19:38:05 | More by yapi
RickS95

Indiana

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

For the style, it's an amazing looking beer; never seen a Belgian so dark. It's very dark brown sitting under a huge tan head with good staying power. No light is coming thru this drink and there appears to be some particulates suspended in the beer.

Again, for the style, I've not smelled anything like it. It's got a champagne-like scent early on, but as it warms, notes of chocolate and malt come thru. There seems to be a smokiness smell as well.

There's a trend here, I've had no Belgian like this before. It has a chocolatey, cola taste to it. Spices are present, but subdued, mostly pepper.

Mouthfeel is complex. It's sweet at the start and the sweetness stays throughout. In the finish you'll pick up some bite from the spice and that last part of the swallow brings a hint of warmth from the alcohol. Nothing is overpower, it's just enough to let you know it's there.

For as strong as the beer is, 11.3% ABV, it's very drinkable. Having said that, the alcohol is present, but hides in the background while you're swimming in all the flavors. It's noticeable, but only slightly. The only thing preventing me from having another is I know the alcohol is too much, and the cost. Everyone must try this at least once.

10-04-2010 01:55:45 | More by RickS95
brazilhead

Brazil

4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Nice brown color with a big light tan head that persists moderately.

S: Coffee notes with dark fruits. Alcohol increasingly present in aroma after first sips.

T: Malty sweetness that is nicely balanced with earthy hops. Raisin, plum, cherry notes. Very complex.

M: Somewhat syrupy and heavy, but not in a bad way.

D: Just a bit too much alcohol and mouthfeel.

10-03-2010 04:34:14 | More by brazilhead
ccahoon22

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

A - This beer pours a dark brown with an small off white head.

S - Smells of malt and some sort of fruit.

T - Upon tasting this sets off a variety of different flavors with a definite sweetness. This all culminates into an amazing beer which doesn't taste as dark as it looks. You can taste the alcohol but seems to be more like a 7.5% than an 11.3%.

Notes - This beer is absolutely amazing.

10-02-2010 22:17:45 | More by ccahoon22
ptykozoon

3.6/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours brown with a red hue. Light fluffy and gigantic head.

Smell is alcohol and fruit; lemon and spice.

The magical belgian flavors at the forefront. Fruit in there as well, apples, lemon. Lots of heat. I'll have to re-review this because I think I got an 'off' bottle. Taste is not quite up to par with what I remember.

Solid mouthfeel.

I'll come back to this one soon as either there was something wrong with me that night or the beer. Hopefully.

10-02-2010 18:23:38 | More by ptykozoon
krisandajt

4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

Well, the flood waters in my basement subsided. Might as well pull out a little something special.

Appearance: Poured from the bottle, this brew is a deep, dark, almost black, mahogany brown. I'm not quite able to pour the whole bottle into my chalice as the frothy, foamy head almost overflows out the top of the glass. The massive amount of foam rapidly fades to about a half inch worth of tan goodness where it sort of stop and hangs around for a bit. Perfect time to pour in the rest of the bottle, and as I do so I can see a wee bit of sediment flow into the glass.

Smell: Boozy, with plenty of rich, ripe, dark candied fruit and just the slightest hint of chocolate and nuts. I would love to rate this brew higher here, but the booziness does take away from the brew IMHO.

Taste: Not as boozy as I thought it would be given the nose. Sure, the ABV is there, but not as bad as I thought. Taste has plenty of raisins and cherries, with a nice subtle hint of chocolate. Potent, but very tasty.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, syrupy, and just the right amount of carbonation. A big beer for sure.

Drinkability: As far as Quads go, this one is really really good. Lots of big flavor, but with a high ABV and strong boozy characteristic I doubt I could enjoy more than one or two of these in an entire evening. That being said, I'm certainly going to enjoy the one I've got, and I'd definitely recommend this brew to anybody.

10-01-2010 22:44:28 | More by krisandajt
chinchill

South Carolina

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Superb Trappist ale (no, this is not entirely redundant), although I have a slight preference for Rochefort 8.

A - Pours a deep, dark brown, with a fine tan head.

D - would score a perfect 5 but for the high and detectable alcohol content.

S - caramel, malts, slight alcohol, spices

M - effervescent

T - high alcohol content is fairly well-hidden but remains readily noticeable.

10-01-2010 04:30:40 | More by chinchill
radioscooter

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%

Making my way back through Belgians I haven't tried or tried in a long while. Have read and heard great things about the "Big 3" - Westvleteren, Rochefort and St. Bernadus and realized I hadn't tried any of them yet. This after literally claiming to be a Belgian drinker for over 15 years. (Yeah, I know)

First up is the one I can get here easily. I found the Rochefort 10 at Market District in Pgh. (supermarket).

Poured into a Chimay goblet (I really need some new glassware)

A: Small foam, dissipates quickly. Almost no lacing. Tiny bubbles. Extremely promising color and appearance.

S: Outstanding. I usually fluff this aspect off. But this smell is intoxicating of itself. Figs, Middle-Earth. I need to let it sit to bring the temp up and I don't know if I can stand it.

T: Amazing. How did I miss this one all this time? Slightly sweet (which I love), strong taste of currants, figs, rum-raisin maybe? Molasses. Plum?

M: Slightly syrupy and mid-heavy. Feels more like food than beer. It's like some sort of middle-ages fruitcake in a glass. In a good way.

D: Very drinkable. Almost too much so. But the alcohol feel is prominent, as it should be at 11.3% I probably would stick to just one of these at a sitting.

Overall - blown away. And not just by the beer, but by my own negligence. We used to try a lot of Belgians every week and thought we had made it through the big guns long ago. I couldn't remember trying Orval either and had one last night and was disappointed. It made me feel like maybe I really did try these all years ago and hadn't gone back for a reason. But this is a superb beer that ranks among my favorites of all time, and just solidifies that it's the quads that I love.

Seeking older samples and putting 4 of these in the cellar for later.

10-01-2010 03:40:33 | More by radioscooter
fragilemacabre

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

High hopes for this guy from resident beer nerd's nerdiness. Pours nearly opaque, a deep brown, with an impressive tan head (it took a few pours to get the whole bottle into the chalice). The foam settles eventually but leaves a thick coating along the side when it is drank. It smells subtle... actually, I can't smell much at all. A bit of mustiness, like old books, but that's even reaching a bit. No smell really to speak of, which worried me... (edited: letting it sit for a bit more, it gave up some cherry/prune/yeasty scent, but still not much and not impressive. 2.5)

Okay. This was essentially a revelation, especially when side-by-side next to Ommegang Three Philosophers, but... oh my. Such rich creamy dark flavors-- cola and brown sugar dominating. It's insanely deceptive with its alcohol content-- I get a brief splash of alcohol at the back of my tongue when swallowing it, but that's about it. This tastes decadent and wonderful and why can't more Quads be like this?

More, please. Thank you.

09-30-2010 08:12:47 | More by fragilemacabre
kbutler1

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottle. Has a date on the label of 030215 which I am guessing is the best on date 5 years from now. Pours an opaque, murky brown with red highlight color. Fluffy tight tiny bubbled 1 finger head that coasters. Sweet smelling with aromas of fruit, especially dark cherry and plum. The taste is very good, sweet, but good. Nice medium creamy mouthfeel. The taste is a very nice blend of subtle spice, plum, raisins, and dark fruit. I get a lingering caramel flavor as well. Very solid overall, nice and clean. Subtle hint of alcohol is present throughout.

09-29-2010 12:19:47 | More by kbutler1
Stunner97

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance- very very dark brown to black with very thick tan head thats bellows up nicely off the pour, with close inspection you can see plenty of bubbles slowly streaming, a perfect look,

Smell- dark chocolate is the dominating smell very nice, malty rich nose,

Taste- very very rich flavor, very rich malts with very strong chocolate tones almost reminiscent of a chocolate milk, this beer maintains a great a balance more then alot others of the style in that its not super sweet and its not the alcohol thats keeping it in check, alcohol is very faint overall in this, its there but its not dominant at all, just extremely complex and rich in flavor with long finish really great flavor profile,

Mouthfeel- luscious smooth and complex, just very almost heavy while still in way being easy to get down, just really rich feel

Drinkability- what can i say about this beer that already hasnt been said, its definitely one of the best beers i have ever tasted before, its right up there to me with saint bernardus abt. 12 as my favorite beer to this point in any style, i couldnt tell you right off hand which is better with out direct side by side comparison but im having this one now so it tastes the best lol, this is a treat and one everyone should try, its rich complex and a long lingering treat to slowly sip and savor, while i know i can get more im gonna probably go stock up for the holidays, hard for beers to get much better then this, just perfection in the world of beer

09-29-2010 04:58:42 | More by Stunner97
tvandragt

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into RR Tulip

Pour: Deep/murky/woody brown. Head came and went. Good carbonation

Nose: Robust palate of flavors. Chocolate, bourbon, cherry, peet moss, coffee, caramel and brown sugar

Taste: Complex layers of flavor. Sweet caramel and toffee in the beginning, moved slowly into moss, currants, black pepper, old oak, molasses, bourbon, scotch, coffee and chocolate cherries.

This was highly impacting on the senses. Full of complexity and subtlety that begs to be explored. One down side was the heat of the beer. More pronounced in the finished, it was definitely a subtle ode to the 11.3% ABV.

I would absolutely have this again. An over all winner in my book.

09-29-2010 04:05:31 | More by tvandragt
Vaison

Delaware

330ml bottle poured into a Maudite tulip.

Pours a dark brown, similar to a cola color while it produced a tall 3 finger light tan head, which took a while to dissipate. Has fantastic lacing. Smells of of grapes and raisin, reminded me of a red wine in some ways. Very malty and fruity, tasting raisin, fig and grapes - very sweet. Alcohol level was warming and just perfect. Feels nothing like 11.3% and is extremely smooth. I intended to drink this slowly and pair with a sharp cheddar but after the first sip, I chose to drink it alone. I liked this so much, I drank it more quickly than intended, leaving me wanting more but not having another bottle readily available. This beer is perfect to me and deserving of my first perfect score.

09-27-2010 22:47:41 | More by Vaison
wedgie9

Tennessee

3.95/5  rDev -12.4%

Tasted from bottle purchased at Famous Lombard. Pours a muddy amber brown with a fizzy but thick white head that recedes to lace on the outside of the glass. Nose is sweet dried fruites (raisin, fig, prune) with caramelized malt and light citrus. The alcohol is definitely present on the nose. The flavors are not quite as dark, with the malt and yeast taking over. The fruits are a little more acidic, and much juicier, not as dried, on the palate. The plum flavor really comes through. The body is full with light, but somewhat stinging carbonation and a long fruity and burning finish. It is easy to understand why this beer is as highly rated as it is.

09-27-2010 20:17:14 | More by wedgie9
rjhaupt

Tennessee

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

A - A deep garnet color, saw the sediment coming out of the bottle, and I could have stopped it, but I didn't because I often like the texture it gives in the mouth.

S - The smell is sultry, rich and deep. There's a bit of a dark fruit sweetness and just a taint of alcohol.

T - Syrupy malt character with an intense sweetness. The high ABV keeps it volatile on the tongue. It's a quadrupel but tastes a bit like some of the US made bourbon-barrel aged barleywines.

M - More carbonated than I'd have thought, very heavy in the mouth but the alcohol keeps it moving .The sediment is never settles out enough to change the gradation of the mouthfeel throughout the drink, it's more the warming which brings out the alcohol that changes the mouthfeel as you drink it.

D - This beer is like soufle or crème brulee, way too much for an everyday affair but if you don't have one every now and again you'll probably die. Take this beer seriously or it will end you!

09-27-2010 01:11:56 | More by rjhaupt
Offa

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

This beer is excellent, although it's a bit strongly sweet and heavy and I don't think it comes up to the astoundingly wonderful quality of their #8.

Very dark red-brown, it has a smallish tan head steadily shrinking to a foamy ring and some wisps, only a very little weak foamy lace.

Aroma is rich dark raisiny-sweet bread, port, wood, hint of doughy cinnamon rolls, sweet fruit, some iron.

Taste is sweet-spicey, a lot of spicey-sweet fruit, rich brown bread with hint of cinnamon rolls, dark raisin and port, with iron and mineral joining in the finish and after taste, faint hints of oreo cookies and wood. It has an excellent, full, rich feel with some faintly medicinal-tingly character and feel. It's excellent, has a rich, strong character with some complexity, but it is a little too thick, heavy-duty and sweet and fails to achieve the incredible balance and complexity of character that the #8 does. Then again, I suppose that that is part of the nature of this beer, so much higher in alcohol, and for the alcohol, the character and drinkability are really very high.

09-26-2010 20:56:52 | More by Offa
IKR

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: Slightly murky coca cola brown with a light beige head of fine bubbles. Slightly sloppy pour resulted in a 2+ finger head. Some yeast chunks visible.

Smell: Grape/raisin with faint aroma of prunes with a slight toffee scent. It could be my car freshener any day.

Taste: Grape/raisin with faint taste of prunes with a slight toffee/caramel taste. Mild cinnamon spice taste with slight hops coming through on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Lively sparking wine type carbonation and a medium body equals a satisfying mouthful for me.

Drinkability: For me personally I'd have never guessed the ABV at 11+%. It would be way too easy to get in over my head if too many bottles were available.

I prefer malt-based beers. I love sours and picked up a Supplication with my Trappistes Rochefort 10. I really like Supplication but I'm fighting the urge to exchange the Supplication and get two more of these. A fine example of what exemplary brewing techniques can produce without a bunch of wild ingredients.

09-25-2010 17:10:48 | More by IKR
ElijahCSkuggs

Considered at this moment the 6th best beer on the planet by the best beer community on the planet. This is something else right here. I'm kinda nervous to crack this bad boy open. ;) Here we go!

Dark, bitter, depressive feces brown appearance that's quite average in it's appeal. Some may say otherwise. The head starts strong, and disappears at a moderate rate that leaves a skim of foam which remains for quite a while. I'm about 15 minutes in, half way finished, and there's still a light head; my favorite aspect to the appearance. But what's with the floating chunks? As I poured it, the last bit...didn't stream out but plopped out...like a shit. Who wouldn't think that's gross? Beers don't plop, shit does. Of course I researched it and realized that it's quite common. But seeing the chunks and debris of yeast floating around is a rather questionable sight for noobs like myself.

Easily the most aromatic beer I've come across. Well, let me rephrase that; it's the most pleasant aroma from a beer I've come across. That's better. More than anything else, I notice the fruity fragrance. I'm not quite good enough for specifics as to which fruit is the most dominant, but this right here is a fruity smelling beer that truly only delivers swell nasal kisses. Even the belches had after-wards are heavenly and worthy of sharing with others.

Mind you, I'm not the biggest beer connoisseur so my opinion should be more appreciated by comparable people. The taste is nice, strong, and also slightly intimidating in it's strength as the boozy feel packs a wallop. There is also a lingering spicy, cinnamon-y aftertaste and smell. If you're not a fan of cinnamon or that cupboard spice taste...you may have issues here.

Slight sting when held for taste; has a mouth wash feel. It's refreshing, but entirely noticeable that can set back a person who owns a sensitive palette. The remnants are happily not rude, and your mouth will only have a feel of taste, instead of a dark, debris infested liquid. As I said in the previous paragraph the taste and smell will linger as the beer will remain with you. It's all about preference at this point.

This is a beer that is high on the ABV% with 11.3, and quite strong with it's personality. But it's also friendly, fruity, spice-filled and pretty thin. It's a totally drinkable beer to unwind to, appreciate and share with other beer lovers. A beautiful beer to have with meals that will keep the laughs and love flowing.

09-25-2010 00:52:15 | More by ElijahCSkuggs