Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

Tasting from a bottle smuggled in my backpack from Belgium since we don't get any many their great beers here. Poured into a Chimay Goblet (don't tell the Belgiums I did this, they're awful particular about their glassware), taking care to INCLUDE the yeast and sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

A - Dark cola like appearance, opaque. No head or lacing to speak of.
S - Starts off sweet, honey, dark fruits, and definitely alcohol - though you really have to swirl the beer and stick your nose into it to get them. It does open up somewhat as it warms.
T - raisins, currants, berries, and wonderful malt (I'm not a malt person, either). No real hop bitterness to speak of, though it ends with a alcoholic bite and something like a tartness or sourness (not in a bad way at all).
M - low carbonation, with that alcoholic bite
D - The alcohol and sweetness makes this a real sipper.

This beer only improves as you let it warm. Give it time (and if you don't want to end up under the table, you will), and you will be very satisfied. A lovely beer to have on a cold evening, but not one I'd reach for impulsively, though this is the best quad I've ever had.

chchchchia, Dec 05, 2010
4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured into a belgian snifter. This is the second time I've had Rochefort 10 but the first time that I have singled it out to review with a fresh palate. Date on bottle 030215.

appearance - pours a dark raisin tone, head has strong carbonation bubbles, very silky in appearance, thin and spotty lacing

smell - bold dark and sweet malts, aromas of berries and dark fruit, raspberry, apple, fig

taste - dark fruit and malts permeate the senses, alcohol burn and light alcohol flavor in the finish, complex fig/raisin/date/apple flavors, perhaps some dark berry as well, a bit hot, this is massive beer

mouthfeel - medium body but heavily carbonated which gives the impression of a huge body, some burn

drinkability - this one is quite the sipper, with an 11%+ abv and major complexity going on, it's a beer for taking your time and savoring, one of the best to do it with i might add!

djbreezy, Dec 05, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +6%

Dark brown body -nearly opaque- with a caramel coloured head.
Smell is somewhat fantastic somewhere between raisins and hazelnuts.
The taste goes from portwinelike slowly to a rather malty phase being heavy and smooth at the same time.
The 11% alcohol leave a comfortable warmth in the throat.
An amazing beer!

stoepsel, Dec 04, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a deep, dark brown with light brown highlights. Has a thin khaki colored head that dissipates pretty quickly, leaving a nice ring that lasts throughout and leaves pretty good lacing.

Surprisingly faint aroma. Notes of roasted malts, dark fruits, and alcohol

Strong flavors of dark fruits and malts, with notes of yeast, spice, dark chocolate, and just the slightest hint of vanilla. There is an ever-present alcohol warmth that really intensifies at the finish. This beer really shows is alcohol content.

Light/medium body, higher carbonation level. The mouthfeel is excellent. Very smooth, with just a little effervescence that gives it a certain crispness.

Good taste and a perfect feel make this a very drinkable beer, but with the high alcohol content, you're going to want to take it slow with this one.

RDHerm, Dec 04, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -14%

330 ml bottle

Pours a dark brown with a thin fizzy head, which doesnt stick around. The nose is sweet with dark fruits, bready malt. Taste is fairly smooth, easy on the palatte experienceing much of what it smells like. Rasins, dried fruits...Heavy mouthfeel, ends chewy and dry. ABV is well hidden but noticeable as it warms.
Overall, not as impressed as the hype led me to believe to be honest.

heebes, Dec 02, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from bottle into 13oz tulip glass.
A: Very dark brown with a thin layer of off-white head. Some carbonation.
S: Dark fruit and malts.
T: Dark fruit with some taste of alcohol. Hints of breadiness and yeast.
M: Medium body, good carbonation that you feel in the mouth.

This is a very good beer, well made and complex, but the dark fruit flavors don't really do it for me. Nevertheless, this is definitely a top notch beer.

goalie33, Nov 30, 2010
4.23/5  rDev -6.2%

Had this on 2012-05-04 in Columbia, PA

A - Opaque ruby/dark brown with a chocolate 1-finger head that fades quickly. Some floaties from the sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

S - Rich malt, figs, prunes, touch of chocolate.

T - Barrel-aged figgy pudding with turbinado sugar and ginger. Sweet and rich tasting. Definitely some warming alcohol. Hint of leafy hops.

M - Medium body and carbonation. A bit sticky but also creamy and easy to drink. A soft mouthfeel.

O - Quite nice. It's along the lines of a De Struise Pannepot, which I like better.

Initially had this on 2010-11-26 at The Library in Pittsburgh.

A - Brown and dark red. The head fades quickly but leaves good lacing. 4.0

S - Smells of plums, brown sugar and anise. 4.0

T - Pretty complex. Tastes of plums, figs, molasses, bread and medicinal herbs. Mild hops bite. Moderately sweet, which helps disguise the alcohol. A little sourness to the finish too. 4.5

M - Thick body and low carbonation. Clingy but not overly so. 4.0

D - A definite sipper. Take the time to savor this delicious brew. 4.0

Notes- from 2012-12-31 After tastings of the (arguably) top four Belgian Quads, I would rate them in this order for my personal taste preference:

1 = Pannepot
2 = Westvleteren XII
3 = Rochefort 10
4 = St. Bernardus Abt 12.

Of interest, my wife would rate them in this order:

1 = St. Bernardus Abt 12
2 = Pannepot
3 = Westvleteren XII
4 = Rochefort 10

Quads aren't my favorite style, but I/we enjoyed everything about this beer and the others mentioned above. For the two of us, it came down to a style preference. I like a challenging brew and she likes a well-balanced, un-assuming brew.

Tucquan, Nov 29, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

Phenomenal beer! If you want simple then sip and swallow. If you want complex then let it sit for a while and notice the fruit notes of pear, Jicama, plum and star fruit (yes! star fruit) try it! Slight subtleties of nutmeg as well. Well balanced AMAZINGLY drinkable. This beer is at the top of the list for a reason. I look forward to going to this brewery and trying it on draft!

Jjonbur, Nov 28, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured a dark brown into a chalice formed a dense one inch head, lots of sediment noted.
Aroma of dank fruit, figs, raisins, and of course a yeasty component.
Taste is sweet figs, malt and Belgium yeast complex and changing as it warms, alcohol is barely noticeable, texture is chewy but not overly so.
Very glad I finally tried this, would revisit anytime.

mudbug, Nov 27, 2010

Served cold 11.2 ounce bottle into glass beer challis

A) An awesome Quad. Dark chocolate brown with off white head that settles quickly. Very thick and opaque with yeasties and sediment at the bottom. Ample carbonation is suspended in this soup.

S) Wow! Sweet caramel dipped candy apple. Hint of ginger, apricot, citrus -- it's all there.

T) If you are a quad lover, your search is over. Sweet caramel, burnt chocolate, dark fruit - dates, raisons, figs. It's all there and in correct proportion.

M) The head dissipates quickly but plenty of fine carbonation lasts and lasts. Very smooth, refreshing & complex. The alcohol is well masked but you'll know you got what you paid for as you stumble (and mumble) around...

D) An outstanding quad -- perhaps the zenith of quads. If this is the style you prefer, look no further.

bskrtz, Nov 27, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Excellent nut brown color with a creamy tan head that creates an excellent lace at the start. Dissipated more quickly than I had hoped, but left a nice half finger remaining for the remainder of the glass.

S: Exceptional aroma to this beer. The malt character is extremely complex covering dark brown sugar and slight notes of coffee. Some fruit comes through--grapes mostly. Alcohol is mild on the nose.

T: Also very complex. The malts range from caramel to some earthy molasses notes. Lots of alcohol at the very start and very end, giving it a certain heat. Fruits, especially golden raisins come through. Yeasty esters give a slight spice.

M: Exceptionally smooth and full bodied. Excellent feel from the start to the medium finish.

D: Excellent sipping beer. I'd stick to two because of the full body. It fills you up. The price tag is forbidding in terms of drinking it all night as well, so I don't mind.

ryantaussig, Nov 27, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. I can't really tell when the date is. My understanding is that they date it 5 years from the bottling date, so this would've been bottled September 2010.

Look: opens with some smoke lurking out at the top of the bottle. Dark cherry color, with some muddy ruby highlights when held up to a light. The head is fairly thin despite an aggressive pour. Its a sandstone color, which is something I've never seen, and I like it. There's a little carbonation visible despite the darkness. This is the darkest quad I've seen, which doesn't say much since I haven't had that many.

Smell: dark fruit, especially purple grapes, raisins and figs really pop out. There's also some rum qualities to it and the alcohol aroma is clear. There's some yeasty aromas and some spices like pepper as well.

Taste: thus far, this is the best quad that I've had, but keep in mind I think this is only my third. It follows the nose well with dark fruit like grapes, raisins, and figs popping out to me the most, some rum alcohol tastes coming through as well with some spices lurking in the background.

Feel: full bodied, some carbonation, some alcohol warmth, not much bitterness.

Drink: nicely drinkable and went with my meal nicely. I wouldn't have this all night but, at 11.3% ABV, if I tried I might die.

Overall, this is my first trappist quad and I really liked it. I wasn't sure if I should age it or if I should just drink it fresh and ultimately decided to drink it fresh. Next, I'll try and find an aged one or age one myself and compare. This is clearly worth its reputation. Cheers!

SkunkWorks, Nov 26, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

Had this in a 11.2 oz bottle in a Great Divide balloon glass. Thanks mom!

This beer pours a dark, dark brown inth a rocky off-white head. The head died down pretty fast (I think my mom recently washed her glass with a bit too much soap, sigh), but it was excellent while it lasted. Very tight bubbles. As the head dies down, the light is able to penetrate thhe beer and it shows some orange tinge to that brown. Nice. The only real problem is that I accidentally purée a bit too much into the glass and ended up with some yeasty sediment. Oops.

The smell is dominated by dark fruits soaked in rum. Not too different from the Trois Pistoles that I had last night, except a bit less spicy. Not quite as magical as I would have expected from it's reputation.

The flavor is complex and fruity. Definite rum bite from the booze, but it doesn't linger and gives a generally pleasant aftertaste. Not as spicy as I would have expected. Definitely has enough depth and character to give me a slightly different impression every time I take another sip.

The mouthfeel is excellent, definitely in line with every other excellent trappist beer I've had. The tight bubbles give way to a smoothness and richness that is just heavenly.

The drinkability is very good, but I'm not knocking people over to get more of it. I guess I expected more from the beer given its reputation, but now that I've had it, I think I'll just stay with my St. Bernardus that I can acquire much easier down in Texas.

UTCengOwl, Nov 25, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -26.2%

Aromas of sweet dried fruites (a boat ton of raisins, figs and prunes) with burnt caramelized malt brown sugar. The alcohol is definitely present on the nose.

The tastes are not quire as dark and not how I expected given the nose. The malt and yeast do a lot of the talking here. taking over. The fruits are a little more acidic, and much juicier, not as dried, on the palate. The plum flavor really comes through. The body is full with light, but somewhat stinging carbonation and a long fruity and burning finish. I really do not enjoy how hot this drinks right now. Will have to reinvest and lay this down for a couple years.

claspada, Nov 24, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

An outstanding beer that I've enjoyed many times, but finally decided to rate. Opened up a bottle I've had for about six months and poured into a tulip glass (from New Belgium Brewery).

A nice dark brown pour with an off white head that produces nice lacing. The smell hints at the complexity of the beer--dark fruits, dark chocolate and bit of spice. A very smooth, full flavored beer. The dark chocolate flavor, though subdued and balanced, comes through along with tastes of raisin and roast. A nice boozy tasty lingers on the taste buds. A well carbonated beer that is very smooth and dangerously drinkable given how potent it is.

A classically fantastic Belgian quad that stands above almost any other I've tasted.

smithdc33, Nov 21, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -8%

Trappistes Rochefort 10 poured muddy dark brown with a short tan head that quickly fell leaving vertical streaks of lace. By the end, it left a crystal clear, laceless glass.

The smell and flavor were very good with rich, and not too sweet, alcohol soaked dark fruit--lots of raisin and a hint of black cherry. The alcohol flavor was very prominent yet pleasant. The feel was fleeting with slight breadiness and the slightest lingering dry bitterness left on the tongue. The high alcohol level is warming without being overwhelming.

With great subtle fruit notes and high alcohol presence, Rochefort 10 would serve well as a special occasion beer, a winter warmer, or a holiday beer. Better than most marketed specifically for those purposes.

MetalHopHead6, Nov 21, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -28.4%

Thanks to sincereNC for this one via trade.

Pours into a Lost Abbey chalice a rather dark, almost chocolate grape color with a large and puffy, slightly marooned color head of about three fingers in size.

Aroma is fruity and less yeasty than expected. Dark fruits, figs, large dose of raisins, a hint of alcohol.

Flavor is filled raisins, champagne, alcohol, and figs. Darkly fruity with a lot of character. I am not really digging the overall flavor though. This one seems sweet and sticky and slightly cloying. Really just tastes like raisin puree or tapenade. Quite medicinal and a hot alcohol burn. There is a familiar taste in there I cant put my finger on; almost like a mixed drink I had long ago and didnt care for.

I dont know about this one. I know it is supposed to be some world class beer, but I dont really care for it. Its good, but not "best in the world" good. Perhaps I am missing the boat on this one, but I dont care for it.

SaCkErZ9, Nov 21, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Thankfully this is fairly easily available near where I live. Poured into a SN 30th anniversary goblet. Pours a almost completely opaque dark brown color, with a one finger head that fades slowly, lacing down the glass is fabulous. Aroma is very complex, with fig, raisin, dark malts, plum, and other dark fruits all combining to open up the nostrils with a sweet aroma. Again, incredibly complex. Fig, raisin, plumb, faint dark malts, slight hop balance, Rich, fruity aftertaste, faint alcohol taste slightly warming the tongue, but comes out in the aftertaste.
Full bodied and complex, the mouthfeel is outstanding, and a very smooth, perfectly carbonated. As strong as this is, it tastes so good, and has such good mouthfeel that I could sip on this for days on end.

Wow. Just wow. I have had this before a few times, but after a six month hiatus and expanding my pallet I can really appreciate this more. A truly outstanding brew, gotta tip my hat to those monks!

ramseye4, Nov 21, 2010

I've wanted to try this one for awhile. Finally pulled the trigger. Poured into a snifter. Pours a really cloudy dark mahogany with a thick two-finger off-white head on top. Light lace left behind. Scents of grape, plum, strawberry, yeast, and light booze. Very fruity nose.

The mouth is creamy with subtle carbonation play on the tongue. The flavors remind me of an old ale. Dark fruits like plum, some licorice, molasses. The booze isn't noted in the flavor but I can feel it a bit. Very smooth mellow Quad. I will definitely get this one again. A bit on the pricey side, but worth it.

Onenote81, Nov 20, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a dark ruby brown colour with a decent amount of head in the chimay glass. Tastes of caramel brown sugar mixed with a nice hint of dark fruits, almost cherry like. Fucking amazingly smooth for the 11.3%. Are you kidding me? 11.3%? That is a joke. No way this beer could be that high. No hint of the alc % at all. Drinks down so smooth. Very tasty beer. Glad I have one more bottle.

WeedKing4, Nov 20, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Deep, clear brown. No real head to speak of.

S - Honey, dried apricot, oatmeal cookies, brown sugar.

T - The bouquet doesn't let you down; wonderfully complex with light alcohol up front that balances itself well throughout the flavor profile, brown sugar, honey throughout, dried fruits (plum, apple, pear), loads of lightly roasted malt.

M - A sipping beer, smooth in moderation. The aftertaste has a wonderful way of clinging to your palate.

D - It's a big beer. The flavors are great, but their size and complexity makes one enough for me.

vfgccp, Nov 17, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

one of my all time favorites...

a - pours a deep brown body with mahogany highlights, 1 finger tan head that never fully dissolves. wonderful lacing.

s - super complex. notes of chocolate, belgian yeast, fig, and raisin. smells sweet but dark. very enticing.

t - sublime. this bottle was from 2009 and the flavors are so complex and full. tons of fig, plum, raisin in the body. ample sweetness, tasting of caramel and dark chocolate. best blend of flavors i've experienced in any quad.

m - well carbonated, alcohol is warming buy entirely hidden.

d - well, good thing I buy in cases...top notch beer, my favorite quad. if it weren't for the abv, I would have a few with my meal and for dessert.

DrewZ926, Nov 17, 2010

A: Dark Brown pours with a small head

S: Belgian yeasty smell

T: Sweet deep caramel with phenols that are not over the top.

M: Very carbonated. A cola feel to the carbonation.

D: Rich and easily drinkable. Where/How is the 11% hidden? Look forward to getting it again.

gregshead, Nov 16, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -15.7%

A- very dark brown, little head

S- hints of fruit and chocolate

T- definitely chocolate with some fruitiness

M- nice, clean crisp, nice carbonation

D- very drinkable

overall, it was a nice belgian..would i have again? maybe...belgian isn't my favorite style but it def is worth a try

Pballa4lyfe, Nov 16, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

Thick creamy head, almost faded by end of drink, but good lacing. Dark brown color with ruby red highlights. Sweet raisiny aroma, presence of malt and other dark fruits. High alcohol well hidden in aromas. Heavy sweetness continued in flavor. Sweetness, flavored with raisins, prunes and other darker fruits. Alcohol is slightly present at times, but overall well hidden, usually just lending itself to the sweetness and complex flavors of the beer. Unexpectedly drinkable for such a heavy beer. Delicious and savory, great warming beer.

despainmakesbeer, Nov 14, 2010