Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Serving type - bottle

Apperance - tan, golden brown, very pretty!

Taste - Amazing quad, spices, malts, warm alcohol, O MY!

Mouthfeel - A slice of heaven via liquid form. Its very strong at 11.3% and you know it, but you wont slow down drinking it

Drinkability - Very simple, many spices mix with warm alcohol and sweet aftertaste to create one of thee best beer flavors on the planet. You dont need a cute review, this is a top 5 beer ive ever tasted in my life. I will be a old, old man and still will enjoy this beer. Buy it or die!

wvsabbath, Aug 20, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -14.6%

11.2 oz bottle drank from a chimay chalice. the best by date is about a year from now, making this one 2 years old (i think).

A- this one pours out a murky dark brown colored body with some reddish highlights when held near a light source. a moderate sized beige head forms on top and takes its time receding. lots of thick lacing left behind.

S- lots of belgian yeast is the first thing i notice, but im not getting the typical fruits from it this time. banana, pear, and apples mostly. a little bit of darker fruits like raisin, date, and fig as well. somewhat strong alcohol presence. brown sugar adds a sweet factor to all this.

T- the brown sugar i could smell comes through loud and clear. the banana, clove, and pear from the yeast didnt go away. the darker fruits are still here and more pronounced. the alcohol is very present.

M- thin bodied. almost watery. what i would expect from the style. some serious warming from the booze.

D- easy enough to finish this tiny bottle. i dont think i like this one as much as i like the 8. still havnt tried the 6...i should get on that.

jwinship83, Aug 20, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -12.4%

A-Dark brown with sediment pieces floating around. Tan head; not huge.

S-Molasses, dried plums, raison, brown sugar. Malty.

T-Like the nose but better. Syrupy brown sugan and those darn dried fruity flavors. Booze is evident but expected.

M-Drinks like a stout. Booze says hello in every sip.

D-Its 11.3% alcohol so I won't be asking for more than one bottle. Yet, for the percentage, it is drinkable.

Quads aren't my specialty but I can tell this one's pretty good. I don't love the style however this one will please most everyone.

VelvetExtract, Aug 20, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

This is my favorite beer. Sadly I doubt anything I could say would do it justice. An amazing dark beer with an alcohol flavor that is easily drinkable. Great sipping and social beer that I wouldn't recommend chugging down like water. Last time I tried chugging these down I woke up with a hangover in the bathroom floor with remorse for spending $9 a beer. Pours nearly black with a nice creamy head most of the time. I smell raisins and alcohol in it most times. Sometimes I get a fig smell. 9 times out of 10 I end up with yeast in my glass when I pour it but I enjoy the yeast. I keep at least two of these around at all times.

jthor018, Aug 20, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +6%

Poured from 11.2oz bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with a nice head that maintains and laces nicely throughout the entire drink.

Smell: Candied fruits, Belgian yeast, molasses, some leather and a great bready aroma.

Taste: Great taste of candied fruits, sugar, molasses, Belgian yeast, doughy malt.

Mouthfeel: Amazingly creamy and smooth. Feels great in the mouth.

Drinkability: With everyday availability, this is a steal at what I can pick it up for. World class and a true treat. Will be stocking up on this.

Axic10, Aug 19, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a very dark and murky brown that is almost black. When held up to my desk lamp, rich ruby can be seen around the edges, but the center might as well be an abyss. The head is light tan in color, extremely creamy and has wonderful retention and lacing. On closer inspection, the lacing appears to shimmer. What's with that? The aroma is an incredible mix of raisin, fruit leather, molasses, tart cherries, chocolate, and clove. There is so much going on that every time I take a sniff it is like I pick out something different. One smell that that I do find myself searching for is alcohol. It seems to be almost completely hidden in the aroma. I take a sip and the complex flavors cascade over my tongue. Once again, dark dried fruits seem to be center stage, but are quickly followed by burnt and flavorful dark sugar. Spice notes of clove and star anise also enter the mix. There is also a wonderful leathery earthiness in the flavor that gives this brew a real old world sort of charm. The alcohol is more present in the flavor, but seriously, this thing hides its ABV very well. The mouthfeel is on the heavier side of medium and has a nice smoothness and a long, but delicate finish. I am not a huge fan of quads, as they tend to be a little bit hot, but this is like a steel fist in a velvet glove. It's a sipper, but goes down easily for style and is quite enjoyable. This is a must try beer. Period.

zoso1967, Aug 16, 2010
1.68/5  rDev -62.7%

Fr. Ian and I decided that since I had obtained a Westy 12 from megriggs in Germany, why not buy a St. Bernardus Abt 12 and this one to see what the #1, 6 and 11 beers in the world and the #1, 2, and 3 Quads were all about.

We started with this one.

Served at 55 degrees into tulip glasses.

A: Very strong pop of the top. Dirty brown color, yeasty, cloudy. Decent head formation and retention, but not pleasant to look at due to the cloud of yeast in the beer that does not seem to want to settle out.

S: Funky. It is the least complex and most yeast-funk smell I have ever come across.

T: Horrible. Doesn't really even taste like beer. It is as if someone siphoned off the yeast cake and put in into flat cola and bottled it.

M: The good level of carbonation keeps this from being a slime on your tongue.

D: I had to force Fr. Ian to finish his.

I would not take another of these if you gave it to me. Biggest waste of $7 ever. I sure hope the other two work out better...

Spica66, Aug 13, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance: Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a large wine glass. Color is a dark brown, with hints of ruby around the edges. Nice creamy, one-finger head with good retention. Not a lot clinging to the sides of the glass, but there is a beautiful, creamy layer on top that never seems to go away. Some yeasty chunks at the bottom, per usual.

Smell: Heaven in my nostrils. One of the most complex aromas my nose has had the pleasure of perceiving. Spicy yeast, dark fruits, chocolate, licorice, and a touch of alcohol are up front. There is also some toasted malt and that bread-like character I enjoyed so much in the Rochefort 8.

Taste: I am immediately greeted with a paradoxical cross between the biting and the smooth. The alcohol warms sufficiently, but rides along with tingling carbonation and spicy yeast flavors. Nice malt presence; figs, plumb, molasses, brown sugar, and toffee vie for your attention. After the flavors subside, you're left with a lovely warming sensation, reminiscent of a good glass of bourbon.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, very smooth, and creamy. Honestly, just about perfect.

Drinkability: Probably more of a sipper with the alcohol content and all, but this beer makes me want to keep on sipping.

If I was stranded on a desert island and could only bring one beer, I would choose this one.

BuckyFresh, Aug 13, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

I've had this beer countless times and never reviewed it. So I chilled a bottle for some thoughts.

Poured into mt Duvel tulip the beer is dark chestnut brown. Huge beige head towers a solid three fingers. Small cap tiny soapy lace ring.

The aroma is sweet caramel and toffee. Loads of honey drizzled dark fruits. Roast nuts, cinnamon and yeasty bread.

The flavor is very bready. Plums, dates, raisin and other dark fruits. Lots of spices. Caramel and roast malt. The booze is present but not overly hot.

Medium to full creamy body. Lots of carbonation.

Overall a true legend of a beer. All praise is warranted for sure.

beerwolf77, Aug 11, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

My original review from 11-08-2006 is pretty embarrassing, so I'm re-ticking this one.

It pours a dark and turbid brown. Once in the glass it's completely opaque, topped by a light beige head that retains well.

This one smells great - rich toffee, caramelized figs, fruitcake, spices and a faint medicinal/botanical character that's very fitting.

Lush and velvety on the tongue, almost creamy, the mouthfeel is incredible. There's a lot of depth to the flavor, with an emphasis on rich caramelized malt, black licorice, dates, earthy figs, spiced cake. It drinks entirely too easy for a beer over 11% ABV, and there's barely a trace of heat. The finish is mild but lingering, spicy and semi-dry, almost vinous.

This is every bit as good to me now as it was 4 years ago, a true classic.

largadeer, Aug 10, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +0.9%

Roughly year old bottle poured into a fluted chalice glass. Muddy light brown head over a dark red/brown beer and looks very rich.

The smell of Rocheforte 10 is arguably its best trait. Complex aroma of dried cherry, raisin, fig, along with a bit of leather and banana. The leather fades to background as it the beer warms up, letting more of the fig dominate the smell.

Tastes exactly like it smells, slightly sweet, but with the alcohol present to allow the aromas to translate directly to your tongue. Each sip is slightly different, like a large bowl of mixed fruits for desert.

A beer that you can really sit down and enjoy slowly.

nataku00, Aug 10, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Very dark brown-black with some orange as it pours and reflecting under the edges of the glass. Poured with one finger of a tan head that slowly dissipates to a white layer of foam.

S: There isn't a lot of scent, but definitely has that Belgian yeast scent and maltiness.

T: There is a warm round feeling when drinking this, and my guess would be it is from the 11.3% ABV. It tastes lightly malty with some tinges of that familiar Belgian flavor on the roof of the mouth. As soon as it hits the mouth it confuses the palate which is a good thing. It is not bitter and does not have much of an aftertaste. I could taste the hops by pushing it to the tip of my tongue.

M: As mentioned, it feels warm and round. A sip will occupy all corners of your mouth and the alcohol quickly numbs the tongue for lingering too long. It is silky but does not coat the mouth.

D: It is completely drinkable. This is a high ABV beer that doesn't have any extreme flavors that might be off-putting to any one particular fan of a beer style. It is a beer that a person could drink more than once, simply to pick out new found flavors.

teromous, Aug 10, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -4%

33 cl bottel poured in my rochefort glass

mildly cloudy ruby red/brown brew, Nice white foamy head

Smell is fruity and spicy with the smells of malt, figs, plums, cinnamon, etc...

Taste is mildly sweet and flavorful, you can feel the alcohol of this one numb your tongue a bit. Warm fruitiness wraps your tongue in waves of complex sugars and subtle waves fruits. This is a sipping beer that keeps giving you new flavors the whole time you sip it.

Mouthfeel is very good.

A pleasure to drink,

beerpirates, Aug 09, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured into a Chimay goblet.

Fat rocky 3 finger rocky head exhibiting tight carbonation that goes a full finger above the rim of the glass. Murky dark brown body. Nice lacing and great retention left behind.

Smells of dark fruits and bananas. Bready spicy yeast. Cloves, caramel and bananas foster.

Banana bread, dark fruits, cloves, caramel, brown sugar, and rum.

Smooth, creamy and soft mouthfeel. Full bodied and a tad spicy.

An easy drinker. A very interesting and complex brew.

billshmeinke, Aug 05, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +0.9%

A: View of what appears to be a relatively dark barleywine, small to medium chunky bits floating in the bottle especially with the last third of the bottle. More than the average dregs hanging in a bottle.

Smell of doughy bread, biscuit malt, belgian yeast, more dough and some dough. caramel also hanging out with must - not the egyptian kind though.

Taste of Dough , bread and toasted biscuits. There is plenty of caramel and yellow plum to go around. Some booze flavors definitely present as expected at 11.3% and some cloves with sourdough bread. If I could type dough again without regretting it I probably would...

Mouthfeel is medium with a light carbonation. Drinkable? yep

alpinebryant, Aug 05, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -9.1%

I poured into my glass to a couple inches of tan head. It is a murky brown color. The aroma is sweet with raisins and brown sugar. There is also some alcohol in there. The smell kind of reminds me of cinnamon raisin bread. The taste is sweet and laced with alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium. I goes down pretty well for the ABV. I'm not a big Belgian fan but the recent quads I've had may bring me around.

buschbeer, Aug 04, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

I found this at Randall's in St.Louis and enjoyed it on 8/2/10.

A-Pours a deep,rich mahogany with three fingers of compact,dusty brown head made up of layers of tiny bubbles.Great retention on the head with strong,sticky lacing,lively carbonation and some small,grainy sediment.

S-Beautiful,ripe plum,date,tobacco and Nebbiolo grapes with some roasted caramel malt and a unique earthiness.

T-Ridiculously complex.Sweet,dried fruit(Fig,currant,date)pipe tobacco,toffee and roasted nuts.There was also a coffee-like bitterness in the finish.Rich,unique and delicious.

M-Full,warm,developed and smooth.There was no hint of the 10% ABV.

D-This is a truly exceptional beer and easily the most drinkable quad I've ever come across.

StlHopHead77, Aug 03, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

I absolutely adore this beer, as it was my favorite Trappist beer for quite some time (until Westvleteren kicked it out of the top spot).

This beautiful looking beer has a taste that can only be described as "Rochefort-like." It is the perfect balance of raisin, toffee, caramel, and chocolate. It is definitely distinct, and I love it.

The only thing that keeps this from being an A+ beer is the alcohol burn. St. Bernardus, Westy, and other Trappist beers manage to hide the alcohol a little better than Rochefort does. However, I am sure this beer ages like a champ....now I just need to be patient enough to let it age!

DeutschesBier, Aug 03, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into a Westmalle chalice.

First of all it was a beautiful dark brown coffee like pour with a one inch head that stood there for a long time, I let the beer sit there for a little bit. There were a big off wite lace.

The smell I got hints of raisins, some chocolate (the again my nose isn't very experienced on this), the taste was kind of sweet with the presence of the raisins, a little bit nutty, alcohol was very present in the taste (that's the only thing that threw me off a little bit) then again it's a 11.4% ABV, I got also some carbonation feel.

I would have again (but in fall or winter, it was a little bit hot yersterday, lol)

arturorg, Aug 01, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Served in- A bottle poured into a snifter

Appearance- Dark, almost near-black appearance. Somewhere in between the colors of dark and milk chocolate. The beer is perfectly carbonated with a nice white head, which goes in great contrast with the dark beer.

Smell- I got hints of caramel when I smelled it. The aroma of the high alcohol is definitely present.

Taste- To go along with the smell, there are notes of caramel. This goes along great with the sweet malty taste that accompanies it. The taste of the alcohol isn't present initially but the after-taste has a slight kick to it.

Mouthfeel- This is one of the smoothest beers I have ever tasted. From the beginning of the sip all the way to the end, it's like black velvet in my mouth.

Drinkability- If I had the option, and the wallet, to drink this beer all night I, without a doubt, would. It's smooth feel and sweet, but not to sweet, taste makes me able to drink many more of these. The only problem, the relatively high alcohol content is the only reason I can think of not to order another,

dgm6689, Jul 31, 2010
4.99/5  rDev +10.6%

A+

33cl into a tulip. Pours a rich deep brown. Head retention is minor, lacing unexceptional.

Aroma of a quad, a superb quad, say no more.

Taste is big and rich, sip this slow to ensure you enjoy all the subtle changes as it warms . . . . warms most excellent. Don't serve this with a meal, save it for after. The aftertaste of a premier quad is special and this sets the bar high.

A measure of the best brews is how well their flavor evolves as they warm - is the range wide and always pleasing - does it continually improve, is the last sip like dessert of a fine meal in a tulip!

Bless you Monks of Abbaye Notre Dame de Saint Remy !

They summarize . . . . .men who leave everything behind to live with God and in that way open the eyes for the Resurrection of the Lord . . . . . . . and brew a fine beer
cheers to all
jd

impending, Jul 30, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +2%

330ml bottle at Chancey Smith's. I quaffed this beer over dessert with my girlfriend in celebration of our third year together. Pours a dark ruby brown with a creamy tan head that subsides to thin ring of fizz. Strands of lacing cling to the goblet. Smell and taste are a beautiful symmetry of vinous, port-like aromas, fruity Belgian yeast, blueberries, pie crust, plum, toffee candy, chocolate liqueur, currants, and an elegant, red grape sweetness with plenty of warmth going down. Mouthfeel is rich, full-bodied, syrupy, somewhat sugary (but not overly so), delicate spiciness, sticky and powdery dryness to finish. Soothing. About midway through I notice the copious amounts of sediment lingering at the bottom of my glass. Overall, Rochefort 10 is a gorgeous Trappist ale that compares to the best of them, including Westy 12. It's packed with complex flavours and literally glides across the tongue while drinking. Don't let the wider distribution fool you: this is a world class beer that's well worth the money. An exemplary quadrupel.

cratez, Jul 29, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Rochefort chalice a beautiful dark brown color with a tight white head and little bits of brown flakes floating in it. The smell is very complex: raisins, leather,. brown sugar, caramel, a fruit that I can't quite put my finger on, maybe cherry...I could go on and on. The taste is the same, each sip reveals a different layer of complexity, always fairly sweet and malty with a touch of alcohol. A perfectly brewed beer.

travis224, Jul 28, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: Deep burgundy color with one-half finger of foam. Wonderful lace, which is produced by steady carbonation.

Smell: A yeasty and malty delight.

Taste: Bread and cookie-like. Lots a yeast flavors. A slight hint of hops and plenty of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Dry and thick.

Drinkability: Awesome. I want more. One of the best beers in the world

cudmud, Jul 28, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

I am not worth to drink this beer but fuck it I am anyways.

A - Holy shit...Very dark...It looks like little chunks are floating around in it. I cant give it a five because there is only one beer that gets a five

S - Smells like a fresh summer day. I don't know what that smell is but it is very unique. Almost a musty smell.

T - I don't know where to start. So I take a sip. Immediately I get smacked in the face by dark dried fruits. I try to fight back but immediately a Belgian yeast giant stomps on me. He starts to shoot poisonous clove and spicy yeast darks at me. Behind the giant is the might alcohol monster. It's there. It's staring at me. We both see each other but he just sits there and doesn't do anything. At first I'm confused why this alcohol monster is not attacking me like the rest but then I released that he is being held down by massive chains made of dark roasty malts and yeast. He has a mask over his head made of hops. So as I am being lit up by spicy yeast and hops I fall into this pool of dark mashed fruits and bananas. As I lye here I see the horrible alcohol beast and realized I have an arrow in my chest. I did not sense this at all. In fact I have no feeling at the point of entry. However I feel its affects. I look over at the massive beast and its holding a bow. I realize it has shot me. I did not see this coming at all. I spent all my time fighting against these other creatures and the alcohol beast got me in one shot...but I overcome this and begin to find the rest of these creatures. Since it is very dark it is hard to make out what some of these creatures are but they are there but they kind of blend together in a nice way. Overall this beer gave me an orgasm. I don't think I got any in the glass though. I am drinking this on my 21st birthday right before I run this town tonight...

M - ...amazing

D - if I was stuck on a deserted island and could only have one thing for the rest of my life...

VTaler, Jul 26, 2010