Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a slightly cloudy dark brown with faint ruby highlights and a smallish off white head that dissipates to a cap. Smells of dark fruit, burnt sugar, a bit of alcohol. Taste is fruity with a smokey funky taste. Some phenolic and bubblegum in there as well. The carbonation is a bit high. Body is thick, mouthfeel is bubbly/creamy. I loved the smell and taste of this one, but I thought the high carbonation did unfavorable things to the mouthfeel.

01-24-2009 22:13:46 | More by johnnnniee
mcsquint

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from 11.2oz bottle into Chimay goblet.
A - Nearly opaque brown in color with nice 2 finger head.
S&T - Dark fruit, alcohol and a bit of yeast.
M - Slick with very fine bubbly carbonation.
D - This is very tasty and smooth. Be careful! The 11.3% ABV will sneak up on you.

01-22-2009 00:32:17 | More by mcsquint
tconboy

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Enjoyed in Brugge at my favorite pub there. Pours a murky light black with a nice relatively full creamy head. The complexity of the dried fruit and bready flavors are very nice, but what makes this so special is how perfectly balanced and how nice the mouthfeel is. Probably the most drinkable beer I have ever encountered. A true masterpiece, and certainly among the elite trappist products.

01-20-2009 19:59:17 | More by tconboy
TStandley13

3.93/5  rDev -12.9%

L- Dark in color, slighty opaque. Lots of sediment throughout, mainly hangs to bottom.

S- Alcohol, belgian yeast, some fruits, apples?

T- nice taste, smokey fruits.

M - nothing notable.

D - highly drinkable, one of my favorite quads (save Urthel)

01-20-2009 00:45:37 | More by TStandley13
Itoclown

3.7/5  rDev -18%

Purchased from Siciliano's in Grand Rapids. Drank from a Duvel tulip.

Look: Dark, dark brown. Light is impenetrable with a low head.
Smell: I can't even pinpoint the smell; it's so damn complicated.
Taste/mouthfeel: Smooth but leaves alcohol venting from the nose in the aftertaste. Really complex but I couldn't pinpoint any particular tastes. Dark/dry fruit, caramel and brown sugar dominate my taste buds.
Overall: Not my favorite style of Belgian beer. I think I'll have to keep trying with this style. There's too much going on for my likings. But that being said, the taste gets better the longer it's open and while it's warming up. But, on the final few swigs, the alcohol became too overwhelming and felt dry.

01-19-2009 01:49:29 | More by Itoclown
Mauerhan

3.85/5  rDev -14.6%

i feel rather uninspired about reviewing but i cracked this so i damn well better do my best.

pours a rich brown into my tulip. a nice two finger head is produced and fades fast. leaving a decent floating island of foam in the middle.

smells fruity.some nice malts.

taste is alright, your run of the mill quad. sweetness that leads into a moderate boozy back.

mouth is fiercely carbonated. aggressive. im not sure im a fan of it. it burns the roof of my mouth when held in.

an ok beer. im not huge on belgian quads so that might be my issue with this. it might be that im uninspired. but either way not really a huge fan of this.

01-19-2009 01:48:02 | More by Mauerhan
ScreamForMe

Washington

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After reading reviews on BA, I bought two July 2008 bottles within the past week at my local beer store.

Poured into a tulip (only stemware I had available at the time).

Being rather new to the ratings break down of a beer - this is one of those beers that just made me glad I'm a beer drinker. I'm not a religous guy but this is one heavenly brew!

The complexity as hundreds of others have noted here on BA is just astounding to me. From the taste of dried fruits to the distinct mouthfeel, this is in my top 10.

I need to go to Belgium....now.

01-17-2009 05:23:01 | More by ScreamForMe
Pedro07

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Grabbed a single of this. Hadn't had her in a long time so I decided it's time to get back on that bike!

A- Nice appearance. Minimal head through a light pour. Ruby-brown color. I poured the yeast in (capital sin???) so there is a lot of murkiness in there.
S- Raisins, cherries, dried cranberries, some yeasty-ness. A little earthiness pops in and out of the nose too. Definatly nothing overpowering.
T- Wow. I can tell I haven't had this guy in a while! The taste is candied fruits. Again, raisins and dates come to mind. There is some essence of (call me crazy!!) root-beer-ishness. It's nice though. No hops can I detect. I do get some yeasty-ness again, as in the smell.
Now that it's warmed a bit I'm getting some oak flavors. I forgot how much of a sipper this one is! Slight alcohol at the finish. Let's you know this one will own you.
M- Very rich. I wouldn't call it creamy, because I feel in a lot of cases those are two different things, but this is rich no doubt. Nice carbonation.
D- Woah. Drink a few other belgians for a while before having this Holy Grail. Otherwise, enjoy cause this one's heavenly!

01-17-2009 03:19:10 | More by Pedro07
mpg2384

Oklahoma

4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I love this beer! Been ageing a couple for 2 years now and decided to finally crack a couple open

Appearance - dark brown, minimum head with good lacing, good carbonation still after ageing

Smell- spices, dark fruit and a hint of alcohol

Taste - pretty much exactly how it smells, but the alcohol is not as strong as one might expect from a beer of this strength

Mouthfeel - light and can feel it on all my taste buds

Drinkability - like I said before love this beer and I find that two in a single sitting is all you need. It seems only to get better with age. Can't wait to see what another year does.

01-16-2009 18:21:15 | More by mpg2384
tmoneyba

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured a dark brown with medium off-white head that mostly lasted with good lacing.

Aroma was very complex.

Heavy fruit flavor and heavy complex finish of long duration.

Full body with a small alcohol bite at the end.

This is a standout brew to drink and very good for style.

01-11-2009 23:27:05 | More by tmoneyba
linnet

Sweden

4.33/5  rDev -4%

medium creamy tan head, deep bromnish/reddish colour, there is precipitation in the liquid, guess that it is due to the fermentation? Aroma of dark fruit, alcohol and spices. Aroma is less sweet than many other beers in the same category even though it is clearly present in this one too. Taste is really nice, dark fruit, alcohol, spices and orange? Mouthfeel is lively, but not as lively as the rochefort 8, this is good, cause I think rochefort 8 isn't very good. This is by far the best belgian beer I've tried!

01-09-2009 18:59:34 | More by linnet
jujubeast6000

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed 4/22/2006 (330mL bottle):

Pours a dark brown/black color. Strong aroma of citrus, plum, dark fruit, very sugary. Very complex aroma, slight alcohol. Smallish head, light tan, very fine bubbles. Flavor of dark fruit, flowery, rich complex flavor, citrus, grapes, some alcohol.

01-09-2009 06:16:30 | More by jujubeast6000
WYVYRN527

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from it's gorgeous bottle into a goblet.

Upon pouring this brew has a dark mahogany color with a wonderful thick, off-white head. The aroma is at first hard to detect through the head, but eventually hints of rasin, spice, and candied sugar show. The hop aroma is slight, yet still present. All I could say upon tasting was HOLY S**T! This brew has everything a world-class beer is expected to have. Sweet and malty at first, with, fig, rasin, brown sugar, dried fruit, and much more. It finishes sweet as well, but with a very nice, zesty hop touch. This beer is one of, if not, the best I have ever tasted. Even for it's high ABV, it is very smooth and delicate. It's velvety mouthfeel is to die for. It's one of the most quaffable brews I have ever tasted. Rochefort 10 is definitely one to stock up on.

01-08-2009 05:06:41 | More by WYVYRN527
CoolJosh

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

I seem to have the hardest time getting my hands on this beer. The 10's are always sold out, everytime I go to the beer store. To add to that, I have been jonesin' for a good quad and so there was very little doubt in my mind what I would be filling my oversized Duvel tulip with tonight.

This beer looks magnificent. As I finished pouring the beer, the head rose to a four finger beige head with small pieces of grain attached. It dissipitated, leaving behind a great layer to trap all the volatiles from escaping. Great retention, couldn't ask for much better. The color, a majestic dark brown, with no visibilty through the glass, its hard to not get too googly eyed when staring into it, you almost have to remind yourself to drink.

The scent is pretty good. I'm getting a very funky, almost brett like smell that's throwing me off. As it warms, more flavors start showing up, some raisin, brown sugar, red grapes, some banana, and chocolate. I'm getting some citrusy notes as well. Very pleasing and well blended to produce an irresistable aroma.

The taste is nothing short of enjoyable. Its so complex, containing everything mentioned above in addition to some sliver of caramel. Nothing stands out too much, providing a perfection representation of the style. The taste is matched perfectly with the smoothness. I couldn't be happier right now. The citrus, chocolate and ripe banana are what stand out the most to me.

Buy as many of these as you can and drink them fresh or age them for a few years.

01-08-2009 01:13:38 | More by CoolJosh
craytonic

District of Columbia

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Pours a beautiful brown-amber-autumn black.

Smell: Dark brown sugar, dark fruits (figs, rasins, plums, strawberries), dark rum, brandy, cloves

Taste: Amazing thick maltiness, dark bread, sweet molasses (not blackstrap). Faint hops, perfect. Hint of alcohol. Sweet

Mouthfeel: Almost perfect, smooth and creamy, full & lush body.

Drinkability: Sip and savor this amazing brew

01-07-2009 16:40:26 | More by craytonic
bifrostguard

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Pours a pleasant plum color with a tall off white head that leaves minimal lacing. Quite effervescent.

S - Yeast, dark fruits, booze and ester.

T - The first things that hit me were the yeast and the booze, but this was ok with me cause I appreciate beers that like to bring the heat. A few sips later the dark fruit flavors and some of the sweetness began to come out. Yeast was ever present. This beer was an absolutely delicious sipper.

M - Thick, creamy, well carbonated and it only gets better as it warms.

D - As with just about all the belgian beers I have had, the sweetness builds substantially and is the only hindering factor.

01-07-2009 05:56:53 | More by bifrostguard
SShelly

Oregon

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from an 11.2 into a taster glass.

smells of malt, dark fruit and alcohol

Appearance is dark ruby with a big fluffy white head, medium retention.

Flavor is all dark fruit, malt, and mild alcohol, the alcohol is actually fairly well masked in this with only a touch of warming.

an exceptional quad (duh!) this was a new bottle, i have enjoyed aged versions even more in the past. My one want from this beer would be a slightly bolder malt flavor, but who am i to complain.

01-05-2009 01:27:19 | More by SShelly
HeyItsChili

China

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

A - Poured into a goblet. Pours dark garnet with a booming, tightly foamy brown head that slowly dissipates into a viscous, bubbly top.

S - Dark fruits, raisins, figs, roasted malt, burnt brown sugar, alcohol.

D - Port, dark fruits, malt, oak. Fantastically blended. Even the California Raisins stand in awe of the raisiny goodness to be found here. The alcohol makes its presence felt in the finish, but does so smoothly.

M - Full bodied, thick, viscous, which plays brilliantly with the high carbonation levels.

Notes - Yum.

01-03-2009 23:37:26 | More by HeyItsChili
beerthulhu

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Poured a dark caramel cola color with a frothy beige head that left a thin film lacing behind.

S: dark fruit, heavy bread notes, rich dark chocolate and some spicy sweetness (dry cinnamon, brown sugar). There was a nice soft roasted character that was creamy and sweet.

T: The initial flavor was malty with lots of dark sweet brown sugar, sweet malt, cinnamon and a nice fruitiness from the yeast (dried pears, apples). The beer finishes with a nice creamy fade, spiciness, and warming alcohol notes with a slight residual graininess on the tongue.

M: warm roasted malt with figs coming though leaving a residual malting behind coating the tongue.

D: Overall a full bodied, robust beer with a sweet malty character and roasted notes that drinks like a dream.

01-01-2009 12:58:13 | More by beerthulhu
damienblack

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours dark brown, with a big fluffy mocha colored head. Consistency of the beer whilst poured is kind of like a big stout, except more bubbly, the head seems more alive. Smells like an amalgamation, sweet malts and belgian sugars, with an earthy grassiness (but no pine like a hoppy IPA or amber), dark fruit and something else, licorice maybe? If these first 2 senses are accurate, then I am in for a treat.

Upon tasting, I was correct. This beer is amazing. Perfect balance between the main components, malty up front with just the right amount of hop kick to keep it in check to follow. Sweetness is typical Belgian, but far from overpowering, I think the carbonation gives it a sizzle that acts as counterpoint. Hint of a grassy flavor, but nothing like a barnyard. Buried deeper in the flavor profile are dark fruits (plum? raisin? date?) and what to me tastes like licorice, or something similar. Mouthfeel is just thick and coating, but in a completely awesome way because of the high carbonation, keeps things moving. It's like drinking velvet, the consistency is just so easygoing. That makes for an amazing oral sensation as well as drinkability. There's a little boozy presence on the finish but it settles right in, not too hot or anything. I could drink this forever. I want to give 5's all around, I really do. I'm severely tempted, but i think it's just a little too much of a sipper to earn perfect marks for drinkability and mouthfeel. Not quite perfection, but this is pretty damn close to it. While I'm still pretty early in my beer drinking life, this may be the best I've had so far. Now I want to cellar one, and see how much closer to 5s across I can get!

12-30-2008 06:21:10 | More by damienblack
LilBeerDoctor

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Reviewed on 5/7/08. Bottle. Pours a beautiful deep brown with a large light tan head that persists. Sorta looks like sludge, but it is the prettiest beer ever. Aroma of light fruits, raisin, Belgian yeast. Flavor of some smoked meat (first time have gotten that from Rochefort), Belgian yeast, dark fruits, chocolate, some booziness but it works for this beer. Very well balanced. Mouthfeel is extremely rich and hearty. My favorite beer and my first 5. 10/5/10/5/20

Update 12/26/08. Aroma of dark fruits (apple, pear) and raisins. Flavor of sweet fruits especially apple. Quite boozy in the finish. I do enjoy this beer but I think I rated it especially high because it was the first good beer I really loved. Always a pleasure though. I think the 8 is better however, this beer can certainly vary from bottle to bottle. Unfortunately, I have to lower this rating. 9/5/9/4/18 (4.5/5)

12-29-2008 18:57:37 | More by LilBeerDoctor
Reagan1984

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

2 fingers of foamy head top this beer in my tulip glass. The beer is a deep ruby red/amber color with some brown tones. Too deep in color to comment on clarity. Just the tiniest touch of lacing.

Aroma was very fruity and reminded me of sweet strawberries, dark grapes with lots of other stuff going on. Some thick deep malts and a whiff of alcohol. Really incredible aroma.

Wow, where to begin. Brown Sugar, alcohol, Deep dark caramel, dates, dark cherries.
As I drink this, I keep enjoying the aroma.. I think that's the most intoxicating part of this beer. Anyway, back to the flavor, there is also some nice spiciness happening. White pepper and some nutty tones as well. I love that it's so complex that I keep thinking about what I'm sensing.

The mouth feel was full bodied, slightly effervescent and very interesting. You get a sense of the alcohol, but it works nice with the deep flavors.

Certainly one to be savored, but very drinkable.

You can see why this is a sought after Belgian. Glad I purchased several bottles. I'm interested to see what happens with some age on this.

12-28-2008 01:16:53 | More by Reagan1984
tai4ji2x

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

direct from the importer in beijing, china.

unfortunately, no importer label this time around. just the following stamp on the brewer's label:

14:58

poured into tulip.

brownish black and almost opaque, with amber brown tones under the light. nice tan head, fades to thin layer. some rings of lace here and there. yeast disturbs easily, but the brew is pretty opaque, so not really a problem visually.

fruity and mildly phenolic aroma, whiffs of alcohol. notes of dark caramel, raisins and dates, plus a fresh berry note as well. hints of coffee and spices.

flavor packs a similarly fruity and phenolic note upfront, with the caramel and sweet dried fruit underneath, with notes of cinnamon and anise. moderate bitterness from grassy euro hops. hint of acidity. alcohol is noticeable, but harmonized well with the fruit (cherry?) and phenols, which in this case are round and not sharp. grassy bitterness and hints of fruit and caramel in the finish, with reminiscences of coffee.

pretty smooth, though the alcohol, phenols and hops can give a sharp and almost astringent note. moderate, lively carbonation can be fluffy with rolled on the tongue.

a wonderful treat to have in china.

12-25-2008 21:15:09 | More by tai4ji2x
joe1510

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

33cl
$5.99
Rt. 6 Liquors

Rochefort 10 has a thick blood red body that's so dark it borders on black. When backlit there are glowing mahogany highlights where the light directly shines where massive amounts of carbonation explode to the surface. A superbly creamy beige head rose to a finger on the pour and didn't fall at all. Each drink leaves behind impressive sheet lacing and clumpy chunks. Now this is how a quad should look!

I don't know why but the nose is somewhat faint. Prunes, figs, and raisins are certainly in the profile along with a surprising, although faint, honey like sweetness. The yeast sends out all kinds of goodness; ripe banana and the mildest clove integrate perfectly into the nose of this brew. Rochefort 10 is all at once spicy, sweet and savory...I want to dive right in.

This one comes together perfectly on the tongue. Sweet notes of figs, prunes, dates and honey lie over the top of a savory somewhat spicy backbone that consists of clove, anise and deep dark caramel. Spicy alcohol peaks and falls again and again throughout each drink. The banana ester quality is barely noticeable in the flavor but adds a little something needed. This is how a quad should be and the leader of the pack in my opinion.

The body is medium and there's a highly active carbonation that creates a nice froth on the back of the tongue. Alcohol heat warms up the throat and nose but never gets hot on the tongue. The savory spiciness of this beer lingers after each sip and the dryness helps.

This is a big bad quad so it will never be easily slammable but this one goes down far too easily. It's a sipper to say the least but on a cold night like tonight I could sip the night away with this beauty.

Of the big 3; Westy, St. Bernardus and Rochefort, this is my favorite. The flavors are hugely complex but don't beat me over the head. It can be an easy enjoyable sipper or a beer to be dissected and contemplated. Whichever you prefer this is the quad to buy.

12-24-2008 06:32:54 | More by joe1510
taylorhamrick

South Carolina

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

It poured out with a giant head. It might have been because I had some difficulty in opening the bottle, which made it bubble up so I had to pour a bit quicker than I would have. But its a dark brown with a few ruby red hues. The head is offwhite, and it lasted the entire time. I could even see bits of bubbles and sediment waiting around in the beer. The smell is yeast, and a bit of alcoholic sweetness. The taste is nearly perfect. I love the way all of the sweetness is perfectly balanced with the darkness, and even the good sweetness from the darker, roasted malts is extracted. If the alcohol content was just a little bit more subdued, namely if the bit of burnt alchohol taste was not present, I could've found a perfect 5 in this, but I really love it. The mouthfeel has adequate carbonation, a good amount of complexity from the darkeness and sweetness. And it drinks very well for the style. I could drink these until it caught up with me and knocked me on my ass. I will probably buy another at some point in the future.

12-22-2008 00:10:28 | More by taylorhamrick