Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

Cracked a bottle of this wonderful beer open to celebrate the end of classes this week. I discovered a wonderful murky brown beer hidden under the plain label as I poured this legend into my customary snifter. My nose was welcomed by a chocolate raisin aroma that reminded me of oak and dark fruits.
The lace played on the sides of the glass as I sipped the chocolate and malty mystery. The taste was beyond words as hints of dark fruit, cherries, rum and chocolate played on my tongue while the I was warmed by the 11.3 % alcohol.

This was a world class beer that just took the words right out of my mouth, I will seek its splendor the rest of my days.

4.6/5  rDev +2%

Just got done with all my college classes and decided to crack something special for me, cute right?

Pours a nice murky chestnut brown that just looks Belgian to me ha. Head is just chillin there, not going away - very nice. Aroma is dark fruit and warming alcohol. Now the taste: first sip blew me away. The warming alcohol and rich fruitiness was like nothing I've tasted. Very creamy and coats the mouth.

But enough of this Belgian BS, I'm switching to Coronas! Hahaaa happy Cinco de Mayo!

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

A- Deep, deep garnet, with a one and a half finger head, manila folder colored. Copious amounts of lacing,
S- Smell is a blast, deep rum and lots of dark fruits. Rich maltyness. A touch spicy as well. Complex, deep and powerful.
T- Starts with a powerful malty flavor and some phenols show up as well. The initial thought was black cherry and rum. There is a bit of clove in there as well. Very sweet throughout and there is a certain leatheryness in the finish as well.
Excessively boozy finish that is a bit hard to deal with. There is a certain butterscotchy flavor as well.
M- Thick and super syrupy, which was nice, but in the finish the alcohol just absolutely overwhelms everything.
O- The alcohol is a kick in the mouth, but the flavors, aroma, and appearance of the beer are magnificent and if that doesn't make it a good beer I don't know what does.

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Rochefort 10 is a magnificent beer: delcious and very drinkable. One of the worlds best. Good work Brasserie de Rochefort!

A: Very dark brown colour and huge 2 cm head that lasts a long time. This is an amazing looking beer, especially considering the ABV. 5

S: The smell is very yeasty with hints of toasty caramel. There is the tinciest hint of funkiness, like slightly rancid butter. 4.0

T: Taste is sweet with notes of raisins. The the roasty malt flavour is always present. The finish is buttery with a hint of alcohol. This is a delicious and surprisingly subtle beer. 4.5

M: Foamy and surprising light. 5

O: This is an amazing beer: delicious and very drinkable. 5

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally rating this lovely specimen

App: Deep murky brown in color...quick head forms (1" in height) tan and settles to a fizzled top

Aroma: pleasant caramels...sweet figs....earthy hops....nice but not over the top

Taste: This is the bes part...chewy fig...dates...toffee notes...slight booze but masked very well....bready backbone...hints of bourbon in the aftertaste...quiet complex...

Mouthfee: beautifully smooth....creamy...lovely

Overall: Just as good as westy in my opinion...much more accessible of course!...cheers ( I need a case I think)

3.75/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Sour fruits comes first to mind. taste more like a sour than a quadruple. not what i had expected at all. dark and an overall disappointment for an A ranked beer. Probably will only get the 8 from now on.
not as much head as compared to the other two.

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Served in a chalice

A: Pours thick, forming a lovely opaque dark coffee brown with a small but stable head. Plenty of sediment left in the bottle.

S: Much like the last beer I sampled from Rochefort, the aroma hit me as soon as I opened the bottle. Initially, I get molasses, along with dark cherries and - dare I say a hint of nutmeg? Wonderfully complex, the smell is a treat in itself.

T: SWEET. This has got to be the most sugary of the Belgian beers I've tried yet. The smell speaks for the taste almost perfectly - molasses, cherries, red wine, and a bit of spice. I would also add a dryer malty character towards the middle - reminiscient of dark grains, maybe pumpernickel. But honestly, with every sip, I seem to taste something different. At an impressive 11.3%, I can barely taste any alchohol.

M: Thick and slightly syrupy, very little carbonation. Doesn't get in the way of the flavor.

O: I was initially a little thrown off by the sweetness of it, but unlike other similar beers, once I got used to the flavor a bit, I had to stop myself from gulping it down. It may just be that I'm slowly learning to appreciate the style a little more after having the chance to try a few other trappist beers. In any case, the sheer complexity of the flavor is astounding. Highly reccomended!

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a dark brown with a very small tan head. Very minimal retention and lace.

Nose is a malty mix of caramel soaked dark bread, raisins, prunes, plum skin and chocolate. Bigtime yeasty anise note too.

Palate is thick and full-bodied, with big alcohol balanced by a big caramelly, brown sugar sweetness- more notes of prune with a slight dusting of coffee. The alcohol is big enough to seem unnoticeable after just a few sips as your whole body becomes enveloped in a warm glove of awesome. Hops are there but modest by comparison. There's also some subtle underlying phenolic plastic flavor. Finish is long and incredibly smooth.

Overall, one of the best. It must be good for me to like a beer made in one of my least favorite styles. Its complexity and balanced sweetness make it a very delicious brew.

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%

A: Dark brown and syrupy-looking. I got a bit of a light brown head on the pour but it died pretty quickly.

S: At first, I wasn't that impressed by the smell. However, as I let it open up a bit, the intensity of the smell grew. I'm getting brown sugar, tootsie roll, raisin and a hint of banana.

T: Very sweet and a bit hot on the finish. I'm getting some raisin and dark fruit and a lot of malty sweetness along with the thinnest hint of coffee on the finish. It leaves a drying and warming feeling on your tongue that tells you the alcohol is there. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy and not too syrupy, even as it warms.

4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 vintage, purchased 11/2010; opened 4/2011.

A: Rich, dark brown with a very thin line of lace.

S: Brown sugar, damp boxwood, leather, cocoa, vanilla, hot alcohol.

T: Chocolate, biscuit malt, allspice, mace, brandy

M: Lots of "scrubbing bubbles," spritz, nice oily coat, a bit sweet

O: A bit sweet throughout. Very rich. I wager this could successfully sit in the cellar at least another year or two and only get better. Very hot, which detracts from its otherwise atractability. Good with chocolate ice cream. I bet it would also be a winner with roasted almonds or cashews. Or, a nice carbonnade, or venison (or lamb) with cherry sauce.
Don't drink it too cold or too quickly!
Not as polished a Quad as the Westy 12, but then again I've only had the Westy when cellared for twice as long as this one.

4.22/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2 fl oz poured into cervoise.

A - Pours a dark brown with purplish amber edging. Very little head or lacing

S - Deep dark fruits, belgian yeast, bready, vanilla, pepper

T - Plums, currants, cherries and a hint of lemon. Bready biscuity malts with distinct caramel and toffee sweetness. Typical biting belgian yeast. Very good

M - Silky, robust, semi hot

O - A great beer. Definitely would recommend that you let it warm up before trying it. The layers of flavours were more distinct once it warmed about 50 F. Next time I'll probably just drink it a room temperature. Great beer!

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2 fl oz bottle poured into Chimay chalice.

A word of advice: this beer improves immensely as it warms, and is best served at 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

A: Pours a dark brown with mahogany highlights. Small, creamy tan head with nice retention. No lacing on the glass.

S: Brown sugar and raisins knock you over the head. Smells very sweet and malty; almost like a barleywine.

T: Taste is of elderberry, spicy Belgian yeast and brown bread, with a nice, round dark fruit profile throughout. Finishes with strong toffee, caramel and heat from the alcohol. Truly a massive quad.

M: Creamy, with medium-light carbonation. Like silk on the tongue.

O: There's a cloying sweetness from start to finish here, which - although typical and expected - makes it difficult to drink a bottle of this in under an hour (not to mention its 11.3% ABV). That said, Trappistes Rochefort 10 is truly one of the best beers on the planet, and its regular availability makes it quite accessible (although a rare treat at $6.99 for an 11.2 oz bottle). Fans of St. Bernardus Abt. 12 and similar brews will surely find something to love in this.

A world-class quad.

4.78/5  rDev +6%

This beer enjoyed at the Abner pub in Norman, OK in a chalice glass. The beer pours a dark reddish brown with a finger of off white foamy head that laces and retains very well. The aroma is strong with figs and caramel sweetness. The taste has some hints of grapes, figs, caramel and spices and finishes clean. The mouthfeel is nice and velvety with a good balance of carbonation. Overall a great Belgian ale.

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

I was over eager when I opened the 330 ml bottle. I poured and sipped immediately right from the fridge (about 39 degrees F), After realizing that was not the thing to do I let it warm to about 49 to 50 F. WOW!!! Poured a dark brownish red with a very nice head that left quickly but left a nice lace on the top. Smelled wonderfully of dried fruits and toasted malts, yum. The the warmer taste was everything the aroma promised and MORE!slight hints of alcohol well covered and balanced with the fruits and carmel notes. Felt med. thick and creamy leving the taste of this ale in the mouth until it was rinsed out with water. WoW can't say enough good things about this except try it.

4.33/5  rDev -4%

A: Poured a dark mahogany with a finger of head that quickly died leaving a respectable skim.

S: Lots of dark fruit, plums, dates. Some yeastiness.

T: Very mellow coming on with strong malt and dark cherry and date flavors. More yeast at the end. The sweetness is not sugary its comes across more natural. The alcohol was well hidden but came through the taste with some sharp zinging in the mid swig and short burn afterwards.

M: Thick and full on the syrupy side but not. Minimal carbonation.

O: I dont know what to say, it was good with flavors of dark fruit and strong malt. Incredibly smooth especially for the booze. Not sure I can fully appreciate this beer so I will have to work on my palate.

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

Bottle (2010)

Holiday Wine Cellar
Escondido, CA

A dark brown with ruby edges. Looks thick and relatively heavy in pour and glass. Big foaming tan head that sticks around and eventually leaves messy and sticky splatterings of lace down the glass. Really incredible looking beer!

The aroma is a divine cornucopia of dark fruits. The aromas of figs, raisins, and cherries are predominant. Something about this beer smells heavy and substantial, although I know those aren't typically words associated with aromas. It has a sweet and powerful aroma. While delicious, it doesn't possess quite the complexity or nuance I love about my favorite quads.

The taste is similar to the nose. There's plenty of dark fruits along with some bitterness and an alcohol flavor akin to brandy. Smooth and easy to drink, even balanced, although this beer is thick, rich, and highly alcoholic.

Thick and rich mouthfeel with a touch of chew. A bit of alcohol warmth but at this ABV magnitude, that's a welcome addition.

A very, very good beer. I'm interested to see what a few more years in the cellar will do to this one. As it stands relatively fresh, it's a thick, rich, and delicious quad, though not quite as complex and interesting as some others.

Wow just abosolutley wow. This beer needs its own category. The smell is full and smells of caramel. The taste is something that lingers but not in a bad way. Each sip is better than the last. This beer actually made me contemplate joining a monestary. Find one and cherrish every sip for if it was your last you can die a happy man.

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

I've heard a lot about this beer, so I figured I had to try it. Here's what I found.

A - A deep, rich brown. Even darker than I was expecting. There are faint reddish hues as well, with a very light head.

S - Mild aromas of nutty sweetness. Very appealing. The alcohol presence is very strong here.

T - An incredibly full-bodied experience here. A tinge of alcohol at first (which lingers throughout), touched with a hint of yeasty phenols, then finished off with some hazelnut/carmel aftershocks. The perfect definition of a Quad: it has an in-your-face grouping of flavors, but it all is done in a very mellow fashion. It's not harsh or overwhelming. Very nice, except for the balance: I feel that the alcohol presence is a bit overdone. It doesn't allow the other subtleties that make it great to come out. I know it's odd to be saying that with a 22 proof beer, but I think the 11.3% could have been more effectively blended.

M - A tongue-numbing experience, that's for sure. Surprisingly bubbly, yet smooth. The alcohol warms on the way down and numbs the tongue.

O - To be honest, I was a bit disappointed after all I had heard about this brew. It's a great example of a well-done Quad, but I don't think I'd be very keen on drinking it alone. As a dinner beer, perfect.

Photo of

I ordered this at Le Cirio in Brussels. Ruby-brown with a dense off-white head. Aromas of figs, cocoa, and herbal tea. Very full-bodied and creamy mouthfeel with an almost honey-like texture. Flavour is dark caramel-sweet with peppery spice upfront, followed by more figs, molasses, and a deep bready undercurrent. Complex and port-like but not overpowering. Westvletern 12 is reputed to be the best beer in the world in this style, but I think that reputation is likely enhanced by its rarity; I prefer Rochefort 10.

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

330ml bottle poured into a Chimay glass

A: Light brown with red highlights that you can almost start to see through. Not much head (thin, wispy) but there is a ton of carbonation funneling up the middle of the glass

S: Lots of dark fruit (raisin, fig) and bread malt. Some spiciness, presumably from the yeast. Hard to detect but I pick up some chocolate and maybe anise. Definitely no sign of alcohol

T: All the elements from the nose combine to make a wonderfully complex beer. Starts with a good dark fruit flavor that gently blends with some chocolate and brown sugar. A light spice and yeast component finishes it off

M: Full bodied yet the carbonation still is very present. Sweet dark fruit lingers on the palate ever so briefly after each sip

D: A wonderful quad. I had this before but didn't remember just how great of a beer it was. I understand why people hold this on par with Westy 12

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%

This is my first review in a while, figured I would make it something good.

Poured from the bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: At first glance this beer is darker then what I remember Westvleteren looked like. Definitely not opaque, if held up to the light it is red around the edges. There is a small layer of white head, but that fades to a nice lacing.

Smell: Lots of dark fruits, figs, raisins, malty goodness, and a touch of alcohol.

Taste: Lingering taste of figs and plums, with a nice sweetness derived from maltiness of this beer. There is a little more of an alcohol warming effect from this beer then from other trappist quads I have tried in the past, but it is a pleasant warming feeling, more inviting then anything.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation dances on your tongue, which is surprising from a beer that is this high in alcohol. It is still relatively light feeling, but still a sipper for sure.

Overall: I would highly recommend this beer. It's a world class example of the style and I'm sad that I will not be able to find them in Texas anymore. Worth seeking out if you can.

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Bottle in Chimay glass.

Appearance: 4
Brown-black nearly opaque body with white-brown head that quickly fades.

Smell: 4.5
Sweet molasses and sugar with caramel/bready malt and notes of dark fruit and chocolate. There is an especially prominent grape/plum note that increases as the beer warms. Overall, very pleasant.

Taste: 4.5
Dominated by dark fruits, with less sweetness than anticipated by the aroma. Through there is still is the molasses element of the malt present though. Moderate presence of alcohol, with notable warmth. Fnishes with slight bitterness and lingering astrigentness, similar to a good red wine.

Mouthfeel: 4
Smooth, mild carbonation with slight creaminess, but not overly viscous feel. Middle of the road with a balance between sweetness and dryness on tongue.

Drinkability/Overall: 4.5
Extremely drinkable despite high alcohol content 11.3%. I find it to be a complex, but very balanced beer. But it also pleasantly rich in taste, even in comparison to other quads such as St. Bernardus 12. Pairs with food, similar to a good red wine.

4.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle (Dated Best By 04/29/14) into a snifter.

A moderate pour yields a 2-finger tan-colored head that quickly recedes to a light dusting atop a thick mahogany-colored body. Thick floaties hang motionless like fruit pieces in Jello. A thick ring of foam clings to the edge of the glass but leaves little lacing.

Aromas of raisins and plums mix with a brown sugar scent.

Strong, sweet malt flavor, filled with dark fruit, assaults the palate first with a crisp spiciness. Then, a cider-like alcohol warmth and a molasses sweetness finish each sip.

Full bodied with high carbonation, this beer is a sipper and a half. Great drinkability, but the carbonation fizzes on the tongue a little excessively.

4.28/5  rDev -5.1%

11.2oz bottle with best by date 7/14/15 poured into Trois Pistoles goblet. Reviewed on 4/16/11

A: Pours a deep, dark brown, with tan head leaves little lacing around glass. Hazy red-brown hues when held up to the light.

S: Sweet bread with lots and lots of dark fruit, spices and alcohol.

T: Lots of dark fruit, figs, raisins, plums, sweet brown sugar with spices. Thick and creamy from the sweet malts with some warming from the alcohol. Long lingering dark fruit taste after each sip. A great sipping beer for sure.

M: Thick, full bodied creamy beer with plenty of carbonation.

O: Solid quad all around very thick and flavorful. I could stretch one glass of this out for a very long time.

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip glass

Appearance: Dark woody, chocolaty brown hue. Completely opaque. One-finger coffee colored head.

Smell: Dark chocolate notes are the first thing I noticed. Brown sugar is very apparent as well. Smells sweet and malty. A little phenolic on the nose. Complex. Hints of black licorice and raisin. After swirling the glass, I got a quick subtle whiff of pumpkin. Very intriguing.

Taste: The alcohol and carbonation pack a big punch upon the arrival. Definitely a sipping beer. Dark chocolate, and dark fruit notes are made apparent after the initial punch subsides. Hints of toffee in the background. Very spicy, complex, boozy, and delicious. Slightly on the sweet side. There is a warming affect from the high ABV. The alcohol isn't masked very well, but it is consistent with the style. Lingering fruit/bitter chocolate driven finish. Beautiful blend amongst all of the characteristics. They all stand out in their own way. Nothing is too overwhelming. Excellent brew.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with high carbonation. Smooth, yet prickly. On the thick side.

Ending notes: This beer is a must try for any beer enthusiast. I could spend an hour discovering all of the characteristics, as there as so many present. What a phenomenal take on the quadrupel style. Outstanding.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort