Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
erz316

Indiana

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

I had this sit out of the fridge for a good 45 mins, poured from a 33cl bottle into Westmalle goblet

A - amazing! poured a perfect 33cl with fluffy head into the goblet. head is the color is a light chocolate milk, you know: if you add too much milk or not enough syrup in. the body is solidly opaque, though I can still tell it is a brown and not a black, like a old ale. most beautiful indeed.

S - a nice spicy aroma, with lingering ethanol in the back. some residual sweetness from the malts,presenting me with a dark molasses scent, and a nice fresh bitter green scent from the hops.

T - well, there is no escaping the alcohol in this beer, it is pervasive in all the steps of drinking. right during the swallow there is a great prick of frutiness, much like plumbs, prunes or other very sweet ripe fruits. this seres to effectively dull the harsh effects of the alcohol, and does it quite well. after the finish, before the true aftertaste, has a strong alcohol taste running up through my nose, like taking a shot of warm vodka. the after taste is slightly sweet from the malty sugars, and it leaves my mouth numb.

MF&D - exceptionally smooth, and easy to drink. the feel is perfect. not too thick or thin, just right and allows all the nuances of flavours to come out. the bluntness of the alcohol is the only thing that impedes the drinking process.

01-30-2009 22:11:11 | More by erz316
GarthTaargus

New Hampshire

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from the bottle (11.3 oz) into Chimay chalice, at roughly cellar temperature.

Appearance: Pours a dark mahogany, darker than any Quad I have seen before. Also noteworthy is the almost impenetrable opacity; I did not pour the yeast, so this was surprising. Head is khaki colored with medium-sized bubbles, eventually settling into a cream which did not dissipate throughout the drink, lacing in a homogenous curtain fashion. A good looking beer, like what they drink in medieval cartoons.

Smell: Alcohol, medicinal, caramelized sugars, fresh cut apples, with a touch of vanilla and an slight underlying scent of earth.

Taste: First wave of taste is caramel and sugars, giving way to rum and dark fruits, especially plum. Finishes with a buttery alcohol note which dries the mouth and leaves a final note of french bread on the exhale.

Mouthfeel: Creamy yet very carbonated, with that perfect belgian crispness, then finishing fairly dry for such a sugary beer.

Drinkability: Very inviting, a romantic coupling of mouthfeel and scent, with a seductive alcohol. I would consider this one a sipper, as I felt the glow after half the glass. This hampers drinkability a it, but for the style it is plenty appropriate.

This beer is fantastic. I will happily splurge on this beer many more times, although I do prefer the Trappistes Rochefort 8.

01-30-2009 02:26:12 | More by GarthTaargus
Biggness

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

This beer pours an incredibly dark and cloudy brown with a 1 fingered light tan head and some lacing. The smell is of raisins and molasses. The flavor is big, there is no shortage of malt in this beer, and certainly alot of dark malts, certainly the darkest quad I have ever tried. There are big hints of raisins and plums int he flavor backed with an enormous malt base... also this beer is quite sweet. The mouthfeel is decent with a rather low carbonation level and for an 11.3% abv beer this beer is HIGHLY drinkable :)

01-27-2009 23:22:12 | More by Biggness
Stimack

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured to a dark brown cloudy color with a perfect sized (fit the glass perfectly) medium tan head that has good legs, leaving sheets of lace down the side of the chalice. This is a very good looking brew. The aroma has a warming alcohol smell, rum or brandy? Dark sugar, could be adding to why I feel it has rum like characteristics? Different fruit, apple and/or pear and cherries. What a fantastic and inviting mixture of aromas. The taste is simply fantastic, again going with the rum aspect, I pick up rum cake. Has a wood like flavor that seems to linger for a bit then disappears. The fruit does come out, but not as the apple/pear I noticed when I was first taking a whiff, with fig / date / prune flavors. Medium spice flavors that mix, oh so well. I know that a lot of folks say that they get banana when they drink this one, not for me as I can't pick up that flavor one bit. The feel of this one does not come close to the 11.3% alcohol level as it is very smooth and well hidden behind all of the interlaced flavors, though as this brew warms the alcohol esters do seem to come out a little more but in a way that is a complete complement to this brew. Very easy brew to drink even though it should be a sipper, but it is damn good and goes down quickly. Give this brew a try as it is simply a delight.

01-26-2009 02:04:40 | More by Stimack
raoulduke37

4.33/5  rDev -4%

Beautiful Rochefort chalice from Father's Office. I was pleased to see it here. I have to say that I'm a little surprised as to how high this one is on the Best of BA

A - Beautiful dark quad, looks like raisins and beautiful lacing when first poured, which quickly dissipates.

S - Hard to detect anything too strong, definitely malts, ripe red/purple fruit.

T - Very good Quadrupel - hops are hidden, nice malt introduction with some cinnamon.

M - Good carbonation here, balances the sweetness.

D - A great sipping beer, for a special occasion.

01-25-2009 22:27:33 | More by raoulduke37
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a slightly cloudy dark brown with faint ruby highlights and a smallish off white head that dissipates to a cap. Smells of dark fruit, burnt sugar, a bit of alcohol. Taste is fruity with a smokey funky taste. Some phenolic and bubblegum in there as well. The carbonation is a bit high. Body is thick, mouthfeel is bubbly/creamy. I loved the smell and taste of this one, but I thought the high carbonation did unfavorable things to the mouthfeel.

01-24-2009 22:13:46 | More by johnnnniee
mcsquint

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from 11.2oz bottle into Chimay goblet.
A - Nearly opaque brown in color with nice 2 finger head.
S&T - Dark fruit, alcohol and a bit of yeast.
M - Slick with very fine bubbly carbonation.
D - This is very tasty and smooth. Be careful! The 11.3% ABV will sneak up on you.

01-22-2009 00:32:17 | More by mcsquint
tconboy

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Enjoyed in Brugge at my favorite pub there. Pours a murky light black with a nice relatively full creamy head. The complexity of the dried fruit and bready flavors are very nice, but what makes this so special is how perfectly balanced and how nice the mouthfeel is. Probably the most drinkable beer I have ever encountered. A true masterpiece, and certainly among the elite trappist products.

01-20-2009 19:59:17 | More by tconboy
TStandley13

3.93/5  rDev -12.9%

L- Dark in color, slighty opaque. Lots of sediment throughout, mainly hangs to bottom.

S- Alcohol, belgian yeast, some fruits, apples?

T- nice taste, smokey fruits.

M - nothing notable.

D - highly drinkable, one of my favorite quads (save Urthel)

01-20-2009 00:45:37 | More by TStandley13
Itoclown

3.7/5  rDev -18%

Purchased from Siciliano's in Grand Rapids. Drank from a Duvel tulip.

Look: Dark, dark brown. Light is impenetrable with a low head.
Smell: I can't even pinpoint the smell; it's so damn complicated.
Taste/mouthfeel: Smooth but leaves alcohol venting from the nose in the aftertaste. Really complex but I couldn't pinpoint any particular tastes. Dark/dry fruit, caramel and brown sugar dominate my taste buds.
Overall: Not my favorite style of Belgian beer. I think I'll have to keep trying with this style. There's too much going on for my likings. But that being said, the taste gets better the longer it's open and while it's warming up. But, on the final few swigs, the alcohol became too overwhelming and felt dry.

01-19-2009 01:49:29 | More by Itoclown
Mauerhan

3.85/5  rDev -14.6%

i feel rather uninspired about reviewing but i cracked this so i damn well better do my best.

pours a rich brown into my tulip. a nice two finger head is produced and fades fast. leaving a decent floating island of foam in the middle.

smells fruity.some nice malts.

taste is alright, your run of the mill quad. sweetness that leads into a moderate boozy back.

mouth is fiercely carbonated. aggressive. im not sure im a fan of it. it burns the roof of my mouth when held in.

an ok beer. im not huge on belgian quads so that might be my issue with this. it might be that im uninspired. but either way not really a huge fan of this.

01-19-2009 01:48:02 | More by Mauerhan
ScreamForMe

Washington

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After reading reviews on BA, I bought two July 2008 bottles within the past week at my local beer store.

Poured into a tulip (only stemware I had available at the time).

Being rather new to the ratings break down of a beer - this is one of those beers that just made me glad I'm a beer drinker. I'm not a religous guy but this is one heavenly brew!

The complexity as hundreds of others have noted here on BA is just astounding to me. From the taste of dried fruits to the distinct mouthfeel, this is in my top 10.

I need to go to Belgium....now.

01-17-2009 05:23:01 | More by ScreamForMe
Pedro07

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Grabbed a single of this. Hadn't had her in a long time so I decided it's time to get back on that bike!

A- Nice appearance. Minimal head through a light pour. Ruby-brown color. I poured the yeast in (capital sin???) so there is a lot of murkiness in there.
S- Raisins, cherries, dried cranberries, some yeasty-ness. A little earthiness pops in and out of the nose too. Definatly nothing overpowering.
T- Wow. I can tell I haven't had this guy in a while! The taste is candied fruits. Again, raisins and dates come to mind. There is some essence of (call me crazy!!) root-beer-ishness. It's nice though. No hops can I detect. I do get some yeasty-ness again, as in the smell.
Now that it's warmed a bit I'm getting some oak flavors. I forgot how much of a sipper this one is! Slight alcohol at the finish. Let's you know this one will own you.
M- Very rich. I wouldn't call it creamy, because I feel in a lot of cases those are two different things, but this is rich no doubt. Nice carbonation.
D- Woah. Drink a few other belgians for a while before having this Holy Grail. Otherwise, enjoy cause this one's heavenly!

01-17-2009 03:19:10 | More by Pedro07
mpg2384

Oklahoma

4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I love this beer! Been ageing a couple for 2 years now and decided to finally crack a couple open

Appearance - dark brown, minimum head with good lacing, good carbonation still after ageing

Smell- spices, dark fruit and a hint of alcohol

Taste - pretty much exactly how it smells, but the alcohol is not as strong as one might expect from a beer of this strength

Mouthfeel - light and can feel it on all my taste buds

Drinkability - like I said before love this beer and I find that two in a single sitting is all you need. It seems only to get better with age. Can't wait to see what another year does.

01-16-2009 18:21:15 | More by mpg2384
tmoneyba

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured a dark brown with medium off-white head that mostly lasted with good lacing.

Aroma was very complex.

Heavy fruit flavor and heavy complex finish of long duration.

Full body with a small alcohol bite at the end.

This is a standout brew to drink and very good for style.

01-11-2009 23:27:05 | More by tmoneyba
linnet

Sweden

4.33/5  rDev -4%

medium creamy tan head, deep bromnish/reddish colour, there is precipitation in the liquid, guess that it is due to the fermentation? Aroma of dark fruit, alcohol and spices. Aroma is less sweet than many other beers in the same category even though it is clearly present in this one too. Taste is really nice, dark fruit, alcohol, spices and orange? Mouthfeel is lively, but not as lively as the rochefort 8, this is good, cause I think rochefort 8 isn't very good. This is by far the best belgian beer I've tried!

01-09-2009 18:59:34 | More by linnet
jujubeast6000

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed 4/22/2006 (330mL bottle):

Pours a dark brown/black color. Strong aroma of citrus, plum, dark fruit, very sugary. Very complex aroma, slight alcohol. Smallish head, light tan, very fine bubbles. Flavor of dark fruit, flowery, rich complex flavor, citrus, grapes, some alcohol.

01-09-2009 06:16:30 | More by jujubeast6000
WYVYRN527

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from it's gorgeous bottle into a goblet.

Upon pouring this brew has a dark mahogany color with a wonderful thick, off-white head. The aroma is at first hard to detect through the head, but eventually hints of rasin, spice, and candied sugar show. The hop aroma is slight, yet still present. All I could say upon tasting was HOLY S**T! This brew has everything a world-class beer is expected to have. Sweet and malty at first, with, fig, rasin, brown sugar, dried fruit, and much more. It finishes sweet as well, but with a very nice, zesty hop touch. This beer is one of, if not, the best I have ever tasted. Even for it's high ABV, it is very smooth and delicate. It's velvety mouthfeel is to die for. It's one of the most quaffable brews I have ever tasted. Rochefort 10 is definitely one to stock up on.

01-08-2009 05:06:41 | More by WYVYRN527
CoolJosh

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

I seem to have the hardest time getting my hands on this beer. The 10's are always sold out, everytime I go to the beer store. To add to that, I have been jonesin' for a good quad and so there was very little doubt in my mind what I would be filling my oversized Duvel tulip with tonight.

This beer looks magnificent. As I finished pouring the beer, the head rose to a four finger beige head with small pieces of grain attached. It dissipitated, leaving behind a great layer to trap all the volatiles from escaping. Great retention, couldn't ask for much better. The color, a majestic dark brown, with no visibilty through the glass, its hard to not get too googly eyed when staring into it, you almost have to remind yourself to drink.

The scent is pretty good. I'm getting a very funky, almost brett like smell that's throwing me off. As it warms, more flavors start showing up, some raisin, brown sugar, red grapes, some banana, and chocolate. I'm getting some citrusy notes as well. Very pleasing and well blended to produce an irresistable aroma.

The taste is nothing short of enjoyable. Its so complex, containing everything mentioned above in addition to some sliver of caramel. Nothing stands out too much, providing a perfection representation of the style. The taste is matched perfectly with the smoothness. I couldn't be happier right now. The citrus, chocolate and ripe banana are what stand out the most to me.

Buy as many of these as you can and drink them fresh or age them for a few years.

01-08-2009 01:13:38 | More by CoolJosh
craytonic

District of Columbia

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Pours a beautiful brown-amber-autumn black.

Smell: Dark brown sugar, dark fruits (figs, rasins, plums, strawberries), dark rum, brandy, cloves

Taste: Amazing thick maltiness, dark bread, sweet molasses (not blackstrap). Faint hops, perfect. Hint of alcohol. Sweet

Mouthfeel: Almost perfect, smooth and creamy, full & lush body.

Drinkability: Sip and savor this amazing brew

01-07-2009 16:40:26 | More by craytonic
bifrostguard

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Pours a pleasant plum color with a tall off white head that leaves minimal lacing. Quite effervescent.

S - Yeast, dark fruits, booze and ester.

T - The first things that hit me were the yeast and the booze, but this was ok with me cause I appreciate beers that like to bring the heat. A few sips later the dark fruit flavors and some of the sweetness began to come out. Yeast was ever present. This beer was an absolutely delicious sipper.

M - Thick, creamy, well carbonated and it only gets better as it warms.

D - As with just about all the belgian beers I have had, the sweetness builds substantially and is the only hindering factor.

01-07-2009 05:56:53 | More by bifrostguard
SShelly

Oregon

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from an 11.2 into a taster glass.

smells of malt, dark fruit and alcohol

Appearance is dark ruby with a big fluffy white head, medium retention.

Flavor is all dark fruit, malt, and mild alcohol, the alcohol is actually fairly well masked in this with only a touch of warming.

an exceptional quad (duh!) this was a new bottle, i have enjoyed aged versions even more in the past. My one want from this beer would be a slightly bolder malt flavor, but who am i to complain.

01-05-2009 01:27:19 | More by SShelly
HeyItsChili

China

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

A - Poured into a goblet. Pours dark garnet with a booming, tightly foamy brown head that slowly dissipates into a viscous, bubbly top.

S - Dark fruits, raisins, figs, roasted malt, burnt brown sugar, alcohol.

D - Port, dark fruits, malt, oak. Fantastically blended. Even the California Raisins stand in awe of the raisiny goodness to be found here. The alcohol makes its presence felt in the finish, but does so smoothly.

M - Full bodied, thick, viscous, which plays brilliantly with the high carbonation levels.

Notes - Yum.

01-03-2009 23:37:26 | More by HeyItsChili
beerthulhu

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Poured a dark caramel cola color with a frothy beige head that left a thin film lacing behind.

S: dark fruit, heavy bread notes, rich dark chocolate and some spicy sweetness (dry cinnamon, brown sugar). There was a nice soft roasted character that was creamy and sweet.

T: The initial flavor was malty with lots of dark sweet brown sugar, sweet malt, cinnamon and a nice fruitiness from the yeast (dried pears, apples). The beer finishes with a nice creamy fade, spiciness, and warming alcohol notes with a slight residual graininess on the tongue.

M: warm roasted malt with figs coming though leaving a residual malting behind coating the tongue.

D: Overall a full bodied, robust beer with a sweet malty character and roasted notes that drinks like a dream.

01-01-2009 12:58:13 | More by beerthulhu
damienblack

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours dark brown, with a big fluffy mocha colored head. Consistency of the beer whilst poured is kind of like a big stout, except more bubbly, the head seems more alive. Smells like an amalgamation, sweet malts and belgian sugars, with an earthy grassiness (but no pine like a hoppy IPA or amber), dark fruit and something else, licorice maybe? If these first 2 senses are accurate, then I am in for a treat.

Upon tasting, I was correct. This beer is amazing. Perfect balance between the main components, malty up front with just the right amount of hop kick to keep it in check to follow. Sweetness is typical Belgian, but far from overpowering, I think the carbonation gives it a sizzle that acts as counterpoint. Hint of a grassy flavor, but nothing like a barnyard. Buried deeper in the flavor profile are dark fruits (plum? raisin? date?) and what to me tastes like licorice, or something similar. Mouthfeel is just thick and coating, but in a completely awesome way because of the high carbonation, keeps things moving. It's like drinking velvet, the consistency is just so easygoing. That makes for an amazing oral sensation as well as drinkability. There's a little boozy presence on the finish but it settles right in, not too hot or anything. I could drink this forever. I want to give 5's all around, I really do. I'm severely tempted, but i think it's just a little too much of a sipper to earn perfect marks for drinkability and mouthfeel. Not quite perfection, but this is pretty damn close to it. While I'm still pretty early in my beer drinking life, this may be the best I've had so far. Now I want to cellar one, and see how much closer to 5s across I can get!

12-30-2008 06:21:10 | More by damienblack