Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
SpeedwayJim

4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from a bottle into a small snifter

A: Poured a vigorous 2 finger creamy light caramel course head with great head retention. Brew itself was a dark brown with patchy lacing.

S: Chocolate, ripe purple grapes, Belgian yeast, brown sugar, alcohol

T: Deep chocolate beginning with grape sourness and unripened green fruit starting to peak through in the middle along with brown sugar. Finishes strong alcohol with a strong warming sensation. No real strong taste stands out, but rather a blending of everything.

M: Medium bodied but smothering and warming. Feels a little too carbonated but finishes clean.

D: Enjoyable. Not my favorite style but the balance is very appreciated.

09-27-2009 20:29:39 | More by SpeedwayJim
Spiderhouse

3.85/5  rDev -14.6%

A--Huge head...at least 3 fingers of mauve foam, heavy lacing. A bit of sediment.

S--Dark fruit, yeasty funk, some woodiness. Interesting undertones.

T--Good, but I get a lot of wood on this, in addition to the usual yeasty and chocolaty tones.

M--Nice mouthfeel. Like the 8, a surprising amount of carbonation and a light weight.

D--High ABV, yes, but it's the slightly off taste that would keep me to one of these. Well made, tasty, but a little off. Could be this bottle. Would try again.

Procured at Beverages & More, Valencia, CA

09-26-2009 02:32:23 | More by Spiderhouse
FloppyDog

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured into a Duvel glass. Extremely deep burgundy beer with a 3-inch thick off-white/tan head. Bits of yeast sediment in the glass even though I poured it carefully.

Aroma is of dark fruit and sweetness. Some belgian yeast funkiness, with a hint of spice and mixed with significant alcohol.

Taste is of strong fruitiness (dates, plums, etc.) and alcohol. The dark fruit is much more pronounced in the taste than in the aroma. Very enjoyable, with basically no detectable hop presence.

Mouth feel is full-bodied and coats the tongue. It is balanced with a very mild prickliness that gives the beer a great feel and drinkability, especially for 11.3% abv. Overall, another quality trappist ale. I am a fan.

09-25-2009 03:08:14 | More by FloppyDog
joshuadlight

4.6/5  rDev +2%

Though the styles are basically the same, the 10 is superior to the 8 in my opinion. Tons of sweet spice and a combination of green and ripe fruits are abundant. There is so much going on here. Only a slightly hot alcohol bite keeps me from rating this one higher. I've never had St. Berny 12 or Westy 12, but I am a big Chimay Blue fan and I think this one trumps it.

09-25-2009 02:53:10 | More by joshuadlight
DeathbySexyBT

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Rusty brown (think wild west cowboy leather) with a sticky lace (think spiderman's webbing if it were light coffee colored) left clinging to the Satan snifter I am using.

S: Rasins and honeydew melons which are beaten into submission by the spice of the booze. You do get a hint of licorice on the nose, but the rest of the hues are so negligible that I am not sure if I was imagining them.

T: Starts peppery. Most quads eventually offer that gentle warming sensation. Not this one. Nope, it goes balls deep with that right off the bat. Mellow esthers and hops, but still present. Smoky sugars and big malts that offer a fruity sweetness that follows the nose. The only detraction is a slight medicinal air to the beer.

M: Full bodied like a trappist milkshake. Smooth as silk, though.

D: When I want a quad, I will reach for this. Or at least I would if it were available in Texas...dammit.

09-24-2009 20:19:37 | More by DeathbySexyBT
ledemie

4.78/5  rDev +6%

Trappistes Rochefort 10. Belgian Trappist Ale. Serve Between 55 F.

Appearance: Deep chocolate brown, head quickly recedes to nothing. Lots of floating yeast, nice head.

Smell: Sweet,raisin a hint of fig, alcohol and a dash of chocolate.

Taste: nice raisin to licorish .

Mouthfeel: nice well balanced, full body, warming going down, superb and complex, wine like character

Drinkability: Tastes great, will drin once in a wile, superb.

Pairing: asiago cheese, all wheat bread,roasted bell pepper. dry cured meats...

09-22-2009 17:11:59 | More by ledemie
jdskinns

3.8/5  rDev -15.7%

Bottle. Poured rather fizzy with a lot of carbonation and a lot of head. Dark brown in color with lots of sediment and flakes floating around. Smell was bold fruitiness with a noticeable alcohol presence. Taste was dark fruits, plums, malts, and a little bit of butterscotch taste as it warmed up. A little hard to drink at first due to all the carbonation, wasn't very pleasant at first until it settled down. Noticeable alcohol heat when drinking. Overall pretty good though.

09-21-2009 00:59:24 | More by jdskinns
Lerxst

3.75/5  rDev -16.9%

A-Pours a dark brown with a one finger beige head that fades quick and leaves decent lacing.

S-Figs is what I smell right away. Some raisins, bananas and yeast smells good.

T-Fruit and sugar are prominent with some malts and spice (what spice, I can't put my finger on).

M-Medium body with a bit of a harsh carb bite, but a bit creamy with a surprisingly somewhat dry finish.

D-Not bad at all, but to be honest, I prefer the 8 over the 10. I can't see myself having more than one of these.

09-16-2009 21:14:30 | More by Lerxst
CHSLBrew

3.75/5  rDev -16.9%

330 mL bottle poured into a tulip.

A-Murky dark brown beer, allowing little light through. Big, fine-bubbled frothy dark-tan head on top, which sustained quite nicely.

S-Fruity, a hint of cola/Dr. Pepper, malty sweetness, which seemed to mix well with an almost souring fruitiness.

T-Big maltiness is the focus of this brew, but the malt sweetness also worked nicely with some easy, spicy nuances. Don't get me wrong, though; bitterness has its time to shine in this brew. Smooth alcohol flavor appeared in the finish initially, but became more apparent and more harsh/out of balance as I continued drinking this brew. Otherwise, the finish is pretty calm, bitter and semi-sweet.

M-Very fine-bubbled, smooth but excitingly prickly carbonation, which I found to be enjoyable. This seemed to distract me from the high ABV for a time, which made itself known largely by it's huge warming on my palate.

D-Pretty decent brew. I could see the beer's drinkability decreasing as the alcohol became more apparent, likely the result of the beer warming, to the point it became harsh, no longer smooth. I think this detracted from this brew overall.

09-16-2009 14:46:26 | More by CHSLBrew
WalrusJockey

4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

A- dark, cloudy brown. Poured very cloudy, even though it's been sitting still for a month.

S- this is really sad, apparently my seasonal allergies are kicking in, because I='m missing most of the nose. I get some spice and some very clear roast notes, with yeast and fruit, but it isn't as clear as it should be, or as pungent as I'm sure it really is. 4 because next time I have this, it will smell like a 4.

T- alcohol is almost the first thing to hit the palate, but that flavor quickly changes to estery complexity, and is joined by clove and nutmeg flavors. The swallos is slightly yeasty, and the thick, malty aftertaste carries us into longing for the next sip.

M- creamy, not too thick. Good. Carbonation is pleasent, but not especially high.

D- 11.3%? I won't have 2, c'mon. But it is delicious, and I will be looking forward to buying more.

09-15-2009 01:29:14 | More by WalrusJockey
theghost3

Louisiana

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a deep, cloudy dark brown with some floating sediment. 2-finger beige head is very bubbly. Lots of lacing.

The smell is complex--caramel is prevalent along with yeast, dark fruits (particularly figs), and spices. The taste is strong of caramel, malty, but the spiciness gives it a nice balance. There's some alcohol warming, but it's subdued. Mouthfeel is thick overall with some biting carbonation.

This is a drinkable beer that should be drunk slowly given the high ABV that is covered up so well. Nice balance in the flavor.

09-14-2009 17:57:40 | More by theghost3
woosterbill

Kentucky

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

11.2 oz bottle, BB date 31/12/13, into a Duvel tulip; the culmination of an evening with 6, 8, and 10. This one has been sitting out the whole time, so it's pretty close to room temp. Here we go!

A: Simply impeccable: 11.2 oz fills the oversized tulip glass up to (and just over) the brim; the body is nearly pitch black (just the faintest hints of ruby at the bottom, and then only when held up to direct light), and is topped with a beautiful, huge, frothy, rocky, tan head with chunks of brown yeast suspended in it here and there. Lace coats the glass as the head settles into a solid cap. Beautiful.

S: Big, bold, and complex. Huge, sweet, fruity malts take center stage (raisin, plum, and maybe even apricot), followed by a wave of spicy yeast aromas: cinnamon is #1, followed by clove and perhaps cardamon. A bit of alcoholic heat at the tale end. Superb.

T: Amazingly balanced; the fruity malts and spicy yeasts coexist in perfect harmony, backed up with the dry warmth of the alcohol on the finish. I'm not getting quite as much complexity as I did in the aroma, but this is simply a delicious brew.

M: Medium bodied (a bit thinner than I was expecting - certainly no thicker than the 8), with light, smooth carbonation. Good, but not the best feeling beer of the style.

D: Not bad at all for being over 11%, but this is still definitely a sipper. EDIT: I originally gave this a 3.5 for Drinkability, but am now changing that to a 4.5 for Overall; this beer is terrific.

Notes: I really need to have this head to head with St. Bernardus ABT 12; both beers impressed me, and I gave them pretty similar scores (although this one does better on appearance and aroma, while the St.B did better for mouthfeel and drinkability). This strikes me as a distinctly dryer example of the quad style, and I love both types; I'm just not sure which is my favorite. All in all, this has been a great evening having all three of the Rochefort lineup; the 10 definitely took the gold metal, followed by the 6 and then the 8 (in a near tie). Great beers all.

Cheers!

09-14-2009 02:34:35 | More by woosterbill
augustgarage

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a 330mL bottle into my Trappistes Rochefort chalice. Finally getting around to reviewing this (after drinking at least a dozen of them over the years).

Bistre liquid with russet and chocolate highlights. Small wheat colored foam subsides to a large collar with half a head. Globules of chocolate yeast form little islands on top of the foam. Minimal lacing, thin sticky legs.

Rich, lightly roasted malt, sweet sourdough starter, golden raisins, figs, brown bread, clove, allspice, apricot stones, and more in the nose. Estery alcohol as well. When allowed to warm up a bit, it becomes superlative.

Malty yet tart on the palate, with a rich bready funk. Sour-cherry, prunes, leather, bittersweet cocoa, and brandy appear as well. The finish is both sweet and dry, and the potent flavors imparted by the alcohol persist for some time.

Somewhat viscous (though not sticky) medium body, with moderate carbonation.

With the intensity of flavor, and the high ABV, this is a sipper and makes for a rustic yet equally fine replacement for several varieties of wine.

While great on its own, this ale really comes alive when served with a good cheese (anything from aged Mimolette, to an oozing Taleggio) or roast poultry (e.g. game hen). A revelation the first time I tried it, this ale catalyzed my search for ever-more intense flavors and craftsmanship in the beer universe. While I no longer find it to be mind-blowing, there is nothing disappointing about this ale - it remains one of the most mature (if not sacred) examples of the style and of the potential of beer in general.

09-13-2009 22:18:06 | More by augustgarage
wknight167

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

Apearance - Pours a hazy dark brown with a half finger, tan head with relatively large bubbles that don't stick around for long.

Nose- Yeast, Banana, Molasses, Figs. Very subtle scents make it hard to pick them out, but makes for a hopefully balanced beer.

Palate- Molasses, fig, cherry, raisin, spicy. Just like the nose, the flavors blend together very well. Alcoholic warmth keeping with the syle.

Mouthfeel- Full bodied, but the carbonation level keeps it from being too heavy.

Drinkability- Scarily drinkable for the ABV.

Overall- A definite nuance beer. I could (and would love to) spend many many nights trying to unravel it.

09-12-2009 08:39:06 | More by wknight167
punkrkr27

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a deep hazy brown with a thick, frothy off-white head. Heavy smells of fruit, banana, and brown sugar, and molasses. Light scent of hops. Moderately yeasty. Creamy and softly carbonated mouth feel. A bit oily at first. Deliciously sweet flavors of fruit, molasses, malts with a nice balance of hops. Warming and earthy, hides it's high alcohol quite well. Coats the mouth in a nice flavor that lasts. Definitely lives up to it's reputation.

09-11-2009 20:42:20 | More by punkrkr27
bump8628

Oklahoma

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours into a chalice with a pinkie of loose tan foam that recedes pretty quickly. This ale is chocolate brown in color with clumps of yeast that stick to the sides and bottom and of the glass.

The beer smells of figs, plums, molasses, earth, and perfumy coriander. Alcohol notes also become apparent as it begins to warm.

Taste follows suit with dark fruits, burnt sugars and a light coriander and hop spiciness. A pleasant warming alcohol hangs around on the back of the tongue and trails down the throat after each sip. A warning to the actual strength of this beer.

While the mouthfeel is full, this beer certainly isn't overly-thick, syrupy, or sweet. It finishes semi-dry as do all of the great Trappist quads and strong dark ales. This, and the creaminess from bottle conditioning are the real keys to their wondrous drinkability.

Overall, a world-class beer and one that I would put head-to-head with any wine in the world as a complex, sophisticated drink, to pair with a fine cheese or meal.

09-10-2009 20:02:50 | More by bump8628
waltonc

Colorado

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours dark brown with an inch of white head. Smells and tastes like spicy fruitcake, apples, grapes, and candi sugar. Body is medium with finely granulated carbonation. Highly drinkable beer that conceals its high ABV quite well. This is my first time drinking a Rochefort 10 Didn't realize I had such a tasty Belgian brew so easily accessible.

09-10-2009 03:07:33 | More by waltonc
nickd717

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottle from BevMo in Mountain View. Awesome beer!

A - Pours dark brown with a large, lasting beige head.

S - Sweet caramel malt, candi sugar, Belgian yeast, and dark fruits.

T - Flavors of caramel, candi sugar, raisins, dates, overripe berries, yeast, and alcohol. Fairly sweet for a Trappist beer.

M - Full and incredibly creamy and smooth with soft carbonation.

D - Pretty high, although it gets to be a bit much relative to Westy 12, which I can down like water.

09-10-2009 01:03:12 | More by nickd717
krunchie

Sweden

2.1/5  rDev -53.4%

Really I don't get the fuzz about this beer. It really isn't the 15th best beer on planet earth...

Served in a Chimay glass at 11.1C (52F).
A: First off i noticed the giant yeast cake on the bottom of the bottle. I poured carefully, hoping it wouldn't come loose and get into the glass, but it came loose immediately and voilá: I had a glass of expensive beer with yeast globs swirling around in it. I waited for it to settle, as much as possible that is, and reviewed the appearance before I tasted it.

It's a thick, dark-red-brown to tar colored liquid with a slightly beige head. The head is quite thick and creamy and makes it look pretty good. Nice head retention and nice CO2 level.

S: Dark malts and dark sugars. Quite spicy: I got some cardamom and cinnamon for sure. Molasses. Quite fruity, but more like old fruit, like the smell of an apple that's turned brown of age. Some estery yeast smell, but not too much. I also got a slight vegetal, funky smell that reminded me of the smell of trub that's been in the brew kettle for a while after the wort's been transferred. Being a homebrewer I know that smell...and I don't like that smell in beer.
Good potential but it's not worth more than a 2. Once again, this beer is very highly rated so most people would probably not agree with me, but it's what I think and that's the score I'd give any other beer if it had these properties.

T: Very intensive. Dark, high cocoa-percentage chocolate, some hop bitterness, plums and spicy, almost chili-like flavors and aromas that make this beer quite hot. And the alcohol is not very bitter, but it tastes like vodka. You know that spicy, hot taste of pure vodka - well, it's there! A bit resiny too and some burnt sugar.

M: Creamy and full, nice CO2 but my overall feeling about this brew makes me want to give it no more than a 3.

D: The vodka-like alcohol tones, the trub-like aroma and the unpleasant bitterness that struck me in the back of the mouth and quite hard on the palate makes it very hard to drink.

Summary:
It's not like other trappists, even the other Rocheforts which I like, that just takes a long time to drink because they are so full-bodied and instensive with their rich flavors.
This beer takes a long time to drink because it just isn't good. It's no good and I don't recommend it....and I NEVER thought I'd say that about a trappist beer! But there you go. And I deeply and sincerely mean it. Go buy the 8 instead if you like trappists, it's MUCH better!

09-06-2009 14:32:56 | More by krunchie
CrazyDavros

Australia

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%

Very dark copper pour, large head fades quickly.
Very perfumy aroma: citrus fruits, apples, doughy yeast, candi sugar, plums, rose-like alcohol, peach blossom, woody honey.
Flavours are quite sweet: candi sugar, caramel, golden syrup, figs. Silky alcohol merges with a light bitterness to create an impressive finish that builds up in the first few seconds after swallowing.
High carbonation (too high in my opinion). Some alcoholic tingling on the sides of the tongue, but not harsh in any way.
Superb.

09-06-2009 10:05:10 | More by CrazyDavros
mdwalsh

Iowa

3.35/5  rDev -25.7%

A: Blackish brown beer with a light tan head. Head is about 2 fingers but fading fast. It has bubbles that are mostly medium size and up, none of the little tiny ones and no active carbonation. Looks good, not great but above average. I just noticed what I hope is clumps of yeast on top of my foam. Major turn off.

S: Sweet cooking fruit, like berries or something, with a hint of alcohol. No hops. Really get the Belgian Candi sugar smell.

T: Hides the alcohol well, that's for sure. But it tastes thin to me, not full bodied like most other quads and I like when they are full. And there something else about this guy, maybe too sour? Or just too spicey. As I drink more I get various bursts of flavor. But still, not strong enough for me. I can also start to taste the booze. I give it a four because it has a lot in there, could have been a five with more power though.

M: Thinnish, flattish, I just can't do it.

D: This one is just not for me, and I have a hard time imagining other people drinking it. I think I need to go on a Belgian vacation for a while.

09-04-2009 15:23:49 | More by mdwalsh
rapidsequence

4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

11.2 oz bottle.

Appearance: Truthfully, it looks a little like really dirty water. When you hold it to the light, its a little more like unfiltered apple cider. Hazy, brown. There's a big thick head that doesn't last long, and scant lacing. Its not off putting, but not really pretty either.

Smell: Here we go. Dark fruit. Lots of booze. Spicy. Sweet malt. Yeast bread.

Taste: It definitely has alcohol. After an initial burn, all those raisins, dates, plums, etc that have been soaking in that booze come out. They're slightly sweet, spicy, and delicious. This is served on a slice of delicious yeasty bread. Again, booze is heavy on the back.

Mouthfeel: Hard to grade this down. Very full. This beer is chewy. The carbonation is nice and keeps things tingly.

Drinkability: I really love this stuff. However, the alcohol is quite present in a way that is (almost) off putting. There are other readily available Belgian quads (St B) that hide the alcohol for less than or equal to the price of this. In this style category, I demand perfection, and while I think this is excellent, its not perfect.

09-03-2009 01:54:14 | More by rapidsequence
atremains

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

Been waiting for a day of significance to drink the last remaining in my stock, but I guess the end of the summer vacation shall suffice. Pours very dark, the darkest of browns that can still fall into the category. The head is light tan with swirls of brown in it. Some sediment finds its way to the top after a while and forms a gang. Lacing is modest but available. Smell is complex, maybe too complex for my preception at this point, but I'm getting a lot of dried fruit, rum-like quality, pepper, and the booze is lined up in there. The taste is excellent and develops as the temperature climbs. Plums, raisins, and figs with an alcoholic kick in the ass soon after swallowing. The mouth is very creamy yet still retains more of a medium body. The carbonation was a bit much right after pouring, but subsided and is now actually a bit lacking as I have whittled it down to a few sips left. This is nearly irrelevant as the creaminess and sustain of the feel are wonderful. It be exciting to see how this beer turns out if you wait the recommended five years or so they suggest. All in all this is a complex, hearty beer that drinks quite well considering the high ABV. I'll be returning to this one in the future with more perspective and knowledge on the style.

09-01-2009 23:44:47 | More by atremains
allboutbierge

Austria

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Assuming a five year shelf life, this is a 2008. Tons of sediment in the bottle. Didn't pour the last inch of the bottle into the glass before reviewing...drank from a slender red wine glass.

Nose is smooth sweet, a bit of pepper, a little more vanilla, oak

Flavor is infinitely complex but in greater harmomy than any other beer I have ever had. Vanilla, some not so sweet honey, hardly any alcohol, mild presence of yeast, something like the sourness of a fine grappa comes into the aftertaste and the alcohol becomes noticeable. Outstanding.

Glad I finally got around to trying this.

08-31-2009 22:12:41 | More by allboutbierge
berley31

New Brunswick (Canada)

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Poured with a large, off-white head... that surprisingly diminished to about 1/4 finger size over a minute or two. Body is cloudy and murky, with a dark brown color. Some lacing, but not as much as I'd expect.

S: Aroma is of some light, bready yeast, clove, and light alcohol as well. Some other things in there I can't put my finger on, but very pleasant overall.

T: Wow... lightly sweet at the beginning, with spices present (cloves?). Continues to change as it finishes slightly warm due to the high alcohol content. Taste stays for a long time and continues to kick.

M: Full-bodied and creamy, with average carbonation. Excellent.

D: A fantastic sipping beer... the alcohol content luckily keeps it from being TOO drinkable, but it's an excellent beer to sit back with and let the flavors come out even more as it warms.

08-31-2009 21:07:34 | More by berley31