Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
popery

4.93/5  rDev +9.3%

A: The liquid is brown with some deep purple highlights. The head is a light beige and leaves excellent lacing.

S: Brown sugar, dark stone fruits and Belgian earthy complexity. The flavors combine in a very appealing fashion.

T: It's a really great beer. There are just a ton of flavors. The best Belgians, like this beer, are just beyond my capabilities to describe. It's a wonderful beer and I'll leave it at that.

M: Lushly creamy and smooth.

D: It warms you as you drink in a marvelous way, a bit like good Scotch. Rochefort really makes a fine quad.

05-01-2009 06:24:06 | More by popery
ofosho

New Hampshire

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into a snifter as a celebratory drink after a brutal Organic Chem exam. Probably don't deserve to celebrate, but what can you do.

A - Thick and opaque, with tints of ruby and mahogany. Nice toffee-colored, creamy head. I didn't decant, so the yeast tumbled into the glass. It was chunky and black - not too appealing, could be a sign of infection...

S - Dark malts come through nicely, with wafts of sweet raisin. I'm getting a spiciness, too, and it actually reminds me of... I dunno, BlackJack gum. Licorice, I guess. Also, a pleasant prick to the nose comes from a touch of volatile alcohol. Makes my mouth water. Not much sign of an infection.

T, M, D - Powerfully malty - tastes a lot like it smells. Dark, dried fruits shine through that play well with its sweetness, which shines near the end along with an alcohol spiciness. Slick, creamy mouthfeel and surprisingly drinkable, but I think the chunky yeast is a sign of something slightly off, though I don't think I'm learned enough to put my finger on it.

My first Quad!

04-29-2009 01:53:19 | More by ofosho
Infamous7100

4.33/5  rDev -4%

A: Mahogany to dark brown. Very thin, tan head.
S: Very malty/sweet. Some fruits and dark chocolate, like that from a bock.
T: Very complex. A lot going on here. I get a lot of the malty sweetness and just a hint of the fruits. The dark chocolate is apparent as the beers warms up. Alcohol is detectable of course, but blended well.
M: The alcohol blends well with the taste, but boy does it warm you going down. Some mild carbonation as well. It does finish quite smooth though and the hang is minimal.
D: It's a sipper, but well worth the time it takes to knock one back. Take your time and try to figure out all that is going on in this.

04-29-2009 01:33:53 | More by Infamous7100
DNICE555

Connecticut

4.6/5  rDev +2%

Split a single bottle with some friends

A - Hazy Brown body with a nice tan head. Head has some staying power and leaves some lacing.

S - A bouquet of flowers - A basket of fruit, Chocolate, Wood, and Alchohol

T - Warming Alchohol. Bittnerness. Fruity and Woody.

M - Full Bodied, Creamy, Burns soo good.

D - Smooth - hard to take in all this beer has to offer with a single tasting. Will definitely have to pick up another one of these.

04-27-2009 18:31:28 | More by DNICE555
DannyS

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

Served in a tulip glass, poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle.

A - Color is a lovely dark brown/black, yielding a brown tint in the light. Tan Head is fluffy and retains well, leaves decent lacing.

S - clove, cinnamon, caramel, dried fruit. Great smell, albeit slightly boozy. Malty; little to nothing hop wise

T - Sweet raisins and brown sugar dominate with the roasted malt. Alcohol is present and hinders it's otherwise great flavor.

M - Body is fairly thick and smooth but the carbonation is high. A great balance of weight and fizz.

D - The Boozy smell and taste are what's holding back this one. I can definitely finish it and enjoy drinking it, but it's not an everyday beer. It's an occasional treat; good to share with someone else as well.

Overall - Paired it with some dry wild boar sausage; turning out to be a very good combination.I did enjoy this one, but I must try the other quads out there before I decide on what's my favorite. Give it a try if you've never had it.

04-27-2009 01:16:47 | More by DannyS
nsmartell

Wisconsin

4.1/5  rDev -9.1%

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. From the 11.2oz bottle to a tulip glass.

Appearance: The prettiest beer I have poured in quite some time. Pours a beautiful deep reddish brown with a fluffy brown head which stuck around for a while.

Smell: Caramel malt and a hint of alcohol. There is much more going on here, but my nose isn't keen enough to pick it all up.

Taste: Nicely balanced and you can definitely taste the alcohol. Lots of spice and I believe more of the caramel flavor. Same with the nose (to borrow from the Beastie Boys) there is something going and I'll probably never get it.

Mouthfeel: Buttery smooth and medium-bodied.

Drinkability: Very in your face up front but mellows out as it goes along. Not a session beer because of the high alcohol, but would definitely drink again.

04-26-2009 03:21:53 | More by nsmartell
DavoleBomb

4.33/5  rDev -4%

Poured into a goblet.

4.0 A: Opaque dark brown color. Light brown head with good retention and lots of lacing.

4.5 S: Raisins, plums, dark cherries and a bunch of roasty toasty malts.

4.5 T: Tastes like it smells. Raisins, plums, dark cherries (dark fruits). Some roasted malt. Very good, but not significantly better than other quads I've had.

4.0 M: Medium body. Fizzy carbonation from Belgian yeast. Somewhat creamy.

4.0 D: This is probably a little over-rated, but good nonetheless.

04-25-2009 21:17:37 | More by DavoleBomb
ThreeWiseMen

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Average pour produces a large, loose, fizzy, tan head that quickly dissipates to a creamy crown. Head crackles and pops throughout the session. Body is murky brown with light visibility around the edges. Streams of bubbles climb the walls of my tulip, and the output of the central carbonation column can easily be spotted from above. Impressive lacing for this style of beer.

Smell: Figs, raisins, molasses, and an entire loaf of banana bread. Roasted malts, chocolate, and cola round it out along with some alcohol. All of the flavors meld together nicely; this is really a treat to smell.

Taste: Flavors aren't nearly as distinguishable in the taste as they are in the smell. This is a tough one... I get raisins, cocoa, prunes, Belgian yeast, roasted malt, and a great deal of spiciness. Not sure if that spiciness is a result of the carbonation, the alcohol, or the hops, but it seems to dull a lot of the previously mentioned flavors. That being said, those same flavors seem to pick up strength as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Kind of slick yet kind of creamy - what do you call that? I really don't have a word for it. BM me if you do. I'm not a big fan of the high carbonation, but I know that's just part of the style. Finishes dry and spicy and kind of chewy; other flavors fade out quickly.

Drinkability: This is one of the best beers I've ever had. I really wish I had purchased more than one bottle because I could really go for some more right now. Next time, I'm drinking it warm - the flavor profile really picked up right at the end.

04-24-2009 03:06:12 | More by ThreeWiseMen
Deuane

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

A-Murky, deep chocolate brown with a thick tan head that reduces slowly to a thin cap and leaves nice lace.

S-Dark cherries, rich, dark malts, plums, spicy yeast and a touch of earthy hops.

T-Rich and intense with notes of dark fruits, sweet caramel, chocolate and brown sugar. A bit of booziness sneaks in to add even more complexity. Earthy spiciness from the yeast and hops finish things out. A most impressive collection of flavours.

M-Medium body and quite crisp but smooth at the same time. A bit of alcohol heat lingers as done plenty of swirling flavours.

D-Second only to Westy 12, and not by much, in my book. A quality and very complex brew that begs to be discovered. The flavours duck and hide and then peek out to offer themselves up for the imbiber. A most impressive offering from the Abbaye St-Remy monks!

04-22-2009 20:19:29 | More by Deuane
Shumista

4.15/5  rDev -8%

An exceptionally good, strong beer at the end of an exceptionally long day. Poured from the bottle into a snifter. Served at cellar temp.

Pours dark murky brown with a pillowy light brown head that sticks around for a long time. Smells of dark fruits, yeast, dark malts...very belgian, surprise. The taste is excellent, dark fruits, sweet, malty. Lots of warmth coming from the high alcohol content. The body is thinner than I expected it to be, very smooth though.

Very good, but not mind-blowing like I had hoped it would be.

04-22-2009 07:17:47 | More by Shumista
Brew33

4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

It pours a downright ugly, murky brown. Ugly but par for the course with this style. Puffy tan white head that disappears quickly. It smells like raisins and brown sugar. Sweet but not too sweet. The taste was good. Very complex and deep. Smooth carbonation, slightly creamy. Good stuff.

I really liked this beer. More than I thought I would. It's sweet but not sickenlingly sweet and the alcohol is present but not overpowering. I'd be happy to drink this anytime... But not so happy to pay for it.

04-21-2009 15:09:12 | More by Brew33
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a deep brown color, with a large foamy beige head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of dark malts, dark fruit, Belgian yeast, some spice and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is malty up front with sweet flavors of dark fruits, caramel, brown sugar and chocolate. There's also a little bit of complementary tartness coming from the fruits. There's a good backbone of Belgian yeast. The hops presence is very mild and there's very little trace of the 11.30% ABV.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish.

D: Tasty, goes down dangerously easily, not too filling, very strong kick, very good representation of style, I can appreciate the beer's complexity & craftsmanship and while it's a really good strong Belgian beer to drink for a whole night, I've had other Quads that I would pick first.

04-21-2009 03:44:18 | More by TheManiacalOne
thirdeye11

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

For my 50th review I wanted something special. I knew it was coming up so I prepared in advance. Special thanks to Ktown67 and Amietaj1 both for providing me some bottles of this beer! It is unavailable in Texas anymore. Since St. Bernardus Abt 12 is my favorite beer in the world, this was a shoe in example of a 50th review.

Presentation: Poured from 330ml brown glass bottle into my Duvel tulip. This bottle is dated with an expiration of 12-13-2013. This beer has a shelf life of 5 years so this particular example is about 5 months old, but has been in a 38 degree fridge for a few weeks so maybe it's 3 months old now.

A: Pours a deep rich mahogany color. Small yeasty floaters are sparse but present. The head poured is a perfect 2 finger light tan that rests atop the beer like a thick blanket that never goes away completely. The beer laces the glass perfectly as well. Nothing more I could ask for here. It is also completely translucent, but does allow some light into it.

S: Smells of dried figs and raisins, some clove-like spiciness and alcohol is for sure present. As the beer warms the alcohol is less pronounced, and the dried fruits become more apparent as does a mixture of dark/milk chocolate aromas. This one smells really good.

T: At first I'm completely and utterly disappointed. I mean sure I started out drinking it around 40 degrees and I knew that was way too cold, but alcohol is really dominant. There is some malty sweetness as well, but no complexity whatsoever. Then as the beer warms up, THIS is the gem I was looking for. Wow it's really really good after it has warmed to the proper temperature. Shame on me for expecting it to taste right at 40 degrees. After warming the alcohol is almost invisible now, the raisins, chocolate, and figs are all there, and it is fairly complex as well. The nose has improved alongside the taste, but the taste is incredibly good after warming.

M: Absolutely perfect. Carbonation is spot on, and the weight is just right. It doesn't get better than this.

D: Due to the alcohol warmth when cold I rated this one slighly low. Maybe that's wrong of me to do, but so apparent I have to knock it down a bit.

Overall St. Bernardus Abt 12 remains the king for me. It is more drinkable at any temperature versus the Rochefort. At the same temperature I'm not sure which I would prefer. The Rochefort has more spiciness from clove, and more chocolate, but the St. Bernardus has more dark dried fruit and possibly sweetness as well. In appearance they're basically equals, in mouthfeel the Rochefort may have a slight edge, St. Bernardus wins in drinkability, and smell, and as far as taste I'd need them side-by-side at 50-55 degrees to decide for sure. Either way a SUPERB beer and I will enjoy the other 3 that I have very much.

EDIT: Adding to my review, I had another of these last night on 5/4/09. I let the Rochefort 10 rest tonight at room temp for about 20 minutes before digging into it. The carbonation seemed less today and not in a good way, its mouthfeel was also a little thicker than I'd like. It seemed to be sweet without carbonation and spices to back it up, and had a really unique taste. Not adjusting my numerical scores today, but St. Bernardus Abt 12 is still king for me compared to this one.

04-20-2009 16:12:32 | More by thirdeye11
citan133

Rhode Island

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into a snifter from a 11.2oz bottle.

Appearance is damn near perfect. Thick, bubbly light brown head, about two fingers worth, that eventually settles but never goes away, just stays there like a thick blanket over the rest of the beer. Deep dark brown thats only barely penetrated by the light.

Get some malt, maybe a little spice in the nose. Sweet spice, like clove.Just a slight smell of alcohol. A little bit of dark fruits too.

This is a really delicious beer. Just a little sweet, just a slight alcohol bite. Lots of spice, that clove and some other sweet spices (nutmeg?) are coming through pretty heavy. Little more alcohol as it warms but nothing crazy. I could probably sip on this all night. Some things going on that I don't even think my pallet can properly get a handle on.

Sips very nicely. Not super-heavy but definitely has some heft to it. Doesn't stay on the tongue too long except for that nice little bit of spice.

I would probably drink this all the time if I had the money to buy it. It's definitely a sipper, something to be enjoyed on a cold night after a long days work. Really good.

04-19-2009 03:13:11 | More by citan133
johnmichael712

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Apearance: Poured out of an 11.2 oz bottle into a goblet. The freshness date on the bottle is 01-10-13, and from what I understand this is five years from the bottled-on date. This beer pours a beautiful chocolate brown color that makes this beer look like a melted Hershey's bar, and this dark, rich looking beer allows no light to pass through even when backlit with a lamp. The large, two fingered head is easily and rapidly formed, and is a pleasant medium khaki color. The torrent of small carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass helps to keep this head alive, and even in a wide mouth goblet the head retains complete surface coverage. It leaves very little lace behind, however, but this is probably due to the high ABV.

Smell: This is an exceptionally dark and boozy nose, and it has very strong aromas of dark fruit (prunes and raisins) and alcohol, and at first sniff it reminds me more of rum than of beer. Subsequent sniffs help me to pick out some of the less potent aromas, and I can perceive hints of brown sugar, anise, and bittersweet chocolate.

Taste: As was the case with the nose of this beer the taste has a very intense medicinal alcohol character about it, and I must say that it is one of the most perceptibly high ABV beers I've ever tasted. This creates a strong warming effect on the throat during consumption, and I can see this beer being perfect for a cold, dark, winter night. Besides the alcohol this beer has a very thick and intense maltiness about it, with a lightly sweet character to the malt. There are also hints of rich, dark molasses, dark fruit (raisins and plums), anise, and just enough clove taste to make you realize that this is a Belgian yeast strain. There is also the same rum quality that was present in the nose, and slight hints of smokiness that, when combined with the hearty alcohol taste, remind me a lot of Laphroaig scotch.

Mouthfeel: This beer is heavenly smooth and creamy, but the body isn't quite as robust as I was expected. It's a little on the low side compared to other Trappist beers, but it still ranks above average. BJCP guidelines state that "authentic Trappist versions tend to be medium-light to medium [body], while Abbey-style beers can be quite full and creamy", so perhaps this was the body to be expected, but I still can't rate this beer a five because I can imagine a fuller-bodied Quadrupel.

Drinkability: Some beers attempt to hide their high ABV, but Rochefort 10 lets you know right from the start that it will be one of the darkest, strongest ales you've ever tasted. Surprisingly this doesn't do much to limit the drinkability, and these delicious 11.2 oz are disappearing quite rapidly.

Notes: This is one very dark, rich, complex, and strong ale. I didn't pair my sample with anything because I didn't want to distract my palate with anything other than the taste of this highly-touted beer, but next time I might drink this alongside a nice cut of beer or a strong cheese. Hopefully I'll get to do this sooner, rather than later, but at $7.50 a bottle it might be a while before I pick up another one of these beers, no matter how delicious it is. Regardless, if this is a beer that you have not tried yet, do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle next time you're at the store; you won't regret it.

04-17-2009 18:44:38 | More by johnmichael712
Bcaulin

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

Served from 11.2 oz bottle into St. Bernardus Chalice

Pours a beautiful deep reddish brown color. Quarter inch of dense, light brown head. Lingers for a while before spreading around and thinning out. Lovely lacing on the sides of the chalice.

Loads and loads of dark fruit and cloves in the nose. Very complex smell as with some of the other good Quads. Everything seems so well blended that aside from a couple of big hitters, it is hard to put your finger on exactly what it is you are smelling -- no complaints though.. it's nice.

Very well blended and smooth taste. Not my favorite quad (still not a huge fan of the cloves for some reason), but I can see why it gets all the hype. Very different from St. Bernardus in my opinion, which is a little less in your face, perhaps at the expense of some of the complexity (although that one is in my top 3).

Smooth mouth feel -- a little boozy, but considering the ABV, its very well hidden. No problem drinking one, but putting two back would be a bit of a struggle. Definitely recommend it, but if you know you don't like cloves, you may want to think twice about forking over the cash.

04-17-2009 02:56:30 | More by Bcaulin
a061183

Arizona

This beer is a nice dark maroon color with a great head not sure the inches b/c the smell kept my nose in it for awhile. It was served at a perfect 50 degrees. As fair as smell there is no Trappiste ale ive had (have had most all of this type) with such a great smell cant even describe it just such a wonderful smell. Taste even better than the smell or just as good. To me Trappiste ales are hard to describe taste/smell wise all i can say is "most" are very smooth with a high abv. you can even taste (especially this one). Mouthfeel not think at all very smooth overall. Way too easy to drink considering the abv. in this beer.

04-13-2009 04:42:44 | More by a061183
sluhdrum07

Missouri

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

bought this one not realizing it was ten bucks, but fucking a i'm glad i did.
poured into a red wine glass, not the proper width of glass, but oh well. i went outside to view it in the light of the setting sun. it looks dark red and brown, bubbles everywhere.
it smells like...i don't know, a casked wine, maybe, definitely a good powerful explosion of scent.
the taste...i can't believe how good this beer is. i don't even know if i can comprehend what this beer tastes like, some dark fruit, my friend said prunes...maybe grapes?
the mouthfeel is great, the longer i keep it in my mouth, the more the flavour evolves.
drinkablility is pretty easy, for the bottle at least. i couldn't drink more than one of these...maybe two, but i'm already feeling kinda drunk.
this is one of the best beers i will ever have in my life

04-11-2009 23:09:13 | More by sluhdrum07
AccidentalKate

Washington

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: Dark Walnut Brown with a really nice head. Strong.

Aroma: A bit of a tang, along with a small bit of a soapy smell.

Taste: Strong nutty taste to start, and then evolves into a bit of cola taste, before ending on a nice milk chocolate taste on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Coats the tongue nicely, and it's not afraid of being bold. Very nice.

Drinkability: A definite beer. One that should be tried.

04-10-2009 23:04:59 | More by AccidentalKate
youngblood

Indiana

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

First experience with this beauty.
A - Poured into Duvel glass. Holy smokes, the head is insane. This is the most careful pour I've ever done in my life and the head threatens to spill out the top of the glass. Finally under control now. The beer itself is a dark ruby with a slight soil brown as well. The head is very white. This is the first time I've seen the head of a beer act like a living organism. It's fading in different regions, disappating at its own pace. There are mountains and valleys all in this now, leaving spider webs all acros the glass.
S - Wow... where to begin? First thing that I get off of this is some strong sweetness. Some prune, little bit of tobacco, very bready. Like strong rye/whole grain bread. There are some other general fruity flavors that I can't place right now. Slight estery alcohol as well, but fits in nicely.
T - Again, I am astounded. Extremely complex flavor here, my mind is going crazy trying to pinpoint all of the flavors. All right, there's definite malt breadiness turned sweet, some very nice fruit also in the form of fig, prune, slight banana and strawberry, light tobacco aftertaste, bit of botterscotch, warm alcohol, nice tannins, slight hop bittnerness. Each flavor just rolls into the next, layers upon layers of depth here.
M - This feels better on my tongue than anything else. Very soft, velvety, creamy, leaves mouth begging for more but also somewhat satisfied. This is what liquid bread is all about.
D - This was very easy to put back, very smooth, but if you put many of these down, it would put you down.

In short, this lives up to the hype. Best trappist I've ever had, period.

04-10-2009 13:24:17 | More by youngblood
Beernoisseur

Utah

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

My last review was DFH 90 minute. This #10 for my 100th review seemed fitting. On April 10th, which is the 100th day of the year. I'm all about seizing opportunity. Thanks to superfantastic for the idea.

This is the first Quad that I have had the opportunity to try. I've enjoyed Rochefort's other offerings, and I am sure that this will be no different.

The first thing that I am struck by is how eagerly the ivory head developed in my snifter. (I wanted to enjoy the big nose that I am expecting). It's retaining and lacing very nicely as well. To say that the head is developing its own landscape is an understatement. Rugged mounds of froth are basically doing what they please in a tectonic display of power. There are little nuggets of yeast floating around, despite my careful pour. That's a little bit of a turn off, but no major problem.

Nose is dominated by sweetness. There are only subtle hop qualities. As it warms up I am getting butterscotch, and other toffy like aromas. Much more pronounced than I am used to. There's definitely a fresh baked rye bread aroma, almost salty. Very very interesting.

As for the taste, the hops are on the light side, yet present. I also get the flavor of prunes and phenols. spicy, peppery, and the taste of buttered dark multigrain bread. You know, the kind with rolled oats on top? There are fruity qualities. There's a very hearty food-like quality to this beer. It's incredible. I've never experienced anything like it. Warming in the mouth, the throat, stomach...

The feel of this beer is sublime. It's like what angels would feel like if, somehow, you could drink them. Full bodied, this is one of the softest beers I have ever had in my mouth.

The drinkability is going to score a little lower, because this beer is REALLY intense. Drinkability over the period of a week or a year? Incredible. Drinkability over the period of a single night? Um....less.

Notes:
My experience with Beeradvocate.com is literally shaping who I am as a human being. I can't wait for the next 100, and I can't think of a better beer to celebrate my centennial. #10 is one of those that I have always wondered about, and now will always think of longingly. What an excellent beer. Thank God for the Catholic church, and for putting men in monasteries for so long that they literally had no choice but to create some of the finest beers on the planet to pass the time.

04-10-2009 06:48:27 | More by Beernoisseur
BiologySean

Alberta (Canada)

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

1st Review. Poured from a 330mL bottle into a snifter.

Very dark amber in color and the head was tan with nice retention. A nice lace is left on the glass

The aroma was a deep fulfilling one of dark chocolate, and nutty with a apricot sweetness.

The taste was full bodied with a nice balance of bitterness you wish to find in a dark beer. Toasted and chocolate with a nice maltiness. it has a nice, intense, sweet aftertaste that doesn't linger longer than you want it to. The bitterness fades out and your left with all the beauty of the undertones.

Smooth and creamy with a nice balanced level of carbonation.

This is a beautiful beer that should be savored. Nicely comparable to the Pannepot Grand Reserva but with a richer history and nicer aftertaste.

04-10-2009 03:47:20 | More by BiologySean
chiguy2420

Connecticut

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

Review #2. Poured into St. Bernardus trappist glass.

A: Nice thin light khaki head. Light lacing. Deep dark amberish color almost like sap.

S: Faint fruitiness but nothing too strong. Traditional smell of dates/raisins is apparent.

T: Good taste. Notes of a sweet and ever so slightly bitter brown sugar taste with mixed fruits. Not blowing my socks off but for sure a nice treat.

M: This is a strong performance beer. Holds up great while sitting in my mouth. This is the part that begins to impress me the most. Definitely a burn at first but nothing to shy away from. I actually loved the mouthfeel the most.

D: This is right up there as beers go for drinkability. Truly a treat worth having. Obviously not meant to be a session beer but I can see this working out if you grab a few for the night.

Must say I am impressed. While Westvleteren really is the creme de la creme in the Quad class. One can see why this is the runner up.

04-10-2009 02:39:59 | More by chiguy2420
goblet

4.6/5  rDev +2%

pouerd this out into a wastmalle trappist goblet .

Appearance:a dark rich brown with a thin head of froth that sticks around .it`s got alot of yeast floating that gathers at the bottom of the glass.

Smell:dark fruits and malt very pleasing to the snout .the fruit ,figs and raisins ,smoky sweet malt and yeast all working together.

Taste:nothing in this beer is off balance and the flavor is no exception .i thought the alcohol would be too strong,or the fruit and yeast too bitter, but to my (not too)sweet surprise this is a good beverage .

mouthfeel:what dances on this stage? a bitter song of alcohol and a fine selection of yeast and that just performs deeper as the show goes on.

Drinkablility: this brew give a fantastic performance. it just grabs your palate and tells you who is in controll it linger on stage to long prehaps by it knows what it`s doing.

04-08-2009 17:12:05 | More by goblet
BigIrishman

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into an oversized wine glass

Appearance: Dark brown with a nice big fluffy off white head.

Smell: Dried fruits, with a nice bready backbone, absolutely awesome.

Taste: There are those dried fruits again (plum?), and an absolutely amazing yeasty/bready finish. This is definitely the best tasting belgian I've ever had.

Mouthfeel: Heavy yet pretty crisp.

Drinkability: I can drink this stuff for breakfast lunch dinner and dessert, I absolutely love it. Plus there really isn't that much of an alcohol bite to it.

Notes: Beautiful, truely amazing. I'm a huge Belgian fan and this one just ousted St Bernardous out of my number one. I saved this for a special occasion and it did not let me down at all!

04-07-2009 03:21:08 | More by BigIrishman