Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
4.67/5  rDev +3.5%

Very good beer that went down much easier than expected. Had wonderful rich flavor that disappeared quick. I am a huge fan of Rochefort, I personally enjoy the 8 and 6 much more however. I feel they are the best trappist ale I have had to date. A++++

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

This may be my favorite quad of all time to date, and I've had the big ones.

A: A nice purple-brown cloudy color with a small ring of tan head and no lacing.

S: A great raisin and prune based smell with big aromas of plum, brown sugar, sugar coated tangy fruit, belgian malt, sweet alcohol and more dark fruit to boot. A very nice aroma.

T: Incredibly complex and rich Quad with a sticky, sweet and refined malt backbone. Exquisite dark candied fruit flavors abound with notes of brown sugar and molasses, spicey clove, grapes, prunes/raisins and more in an extremely well balanced bouquet of flavor that obviously is time tested and quality tested.

M: Very, very smooth and amazingly not hot at all. Viscous in a very nice way. Outstanding.

D: What an awesome beer. Why have I not been buying this every time I see it at the store?

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Brown pour with a bit of purple perhaps. About one finger of slightly off-white head that recedes quickly, but laces wonderfully.

S: I honestly smell a bit of a red wine in this one. Very sweet, a bit of Belgian yeast and alcohol. Also some dark fruits, plums specifically.

T: Sweet up front on the taste, gives way to a powerful hit of dark fruits. Slight Belgian yeasts and a hint of alcohol at the end. Truly one of the best tasting beers I've ever had.

MF: Light to medium, with a tinge of carbonation. Alcohol is left on the palate.

D: Very high. You can hardly tell the ABV is more than 10%, the flavor is phenomenal, and the smell is wonderful. Really blown away by this one.

4.32/5  rDev -4.2%

A very interesting beer, I purchased this one to enjoy with some cheeses. 12 oz bottle poured into a 64 oz drink mug.

A: Dark and hazy with quite a bit of residual sediment yeast left in the bottle. Very slight head but what head it will give you clings tenaciously. Lacing is like a rich cappucino froth.

S: Buttery, nutty and smoky on the nose.

T: Rich and flavorful with a cheese-like quality. Esters are noticeable yet are subtle enough to leach off the tongue with the gentle coaxing of the hops. Fades slowly to almost no aftertaste. Very slightly sweet from the hops with burnt sugar smokiness.

M: Rich and full bodied. Assertive carbonation slows down the drinking.

D: Very nice and really should be enjoyed with breads, cheeses or a hearty meal.

4.54/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours beautifully. A deep maroon its almost black. Huge head that just doesn't go away.

Nose is surprisingly underwhelming (in comparison to every other aspect of this fine beer), with bits of banana, bread, and cherries.

Mouth is so complex it's almost overwhelming. Cherries mixed with a doughy cakiness. This is more like a pastry than a beer. Beautifully balanced, I also get hints of a bubble gum flavor. There is a liquor flavor that gives away the high alcohol content.
This is fruity and full. Highly, highly recommended.

4.62/5  rDev +2.4%

Cloudy dark brown and thin tan head with good retention and spotty lacing. Figs and sugary yeast and touches of floral. Malty alcohol tempered with raisin and fig with strong clear flavor with caramel sweetness. Chocolate and cherry flavors make an appearance after awhile. Slightly fuzzy and silky mouthfeel.

What is there to say but this is an exceptional beer. Aroma isn't what I would consider complex but it is so good it only whet's your appetite for what's to come. It is very sweet (I like that), like a liquid candy bar (in a good way) but it's somehow balanced or tempered by the yeast and alcohol. The alcohol accentuates the taste rather than just creating a pleasant warming or boozy quality. It certainly has similarities to malt liquor but it seems every sip brings something new. My only complaint is the bottle isn't big enough!

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

Reviewed from notes. Out of my Gulden Drak Tulip...

A- Dark brown and murky. Slighly reddish where the light can poke through. Light whitish tan head that fades off quickly.

S- Sweet. Caramel, dark fruit, raisins, dates, and plums. A nice touch of belgian yeast.

T- Very similar to the smell, a sweet malty belgian. Tastes primarily of raisins and dates, with touches of molassas.

M- Thick and quite syrupy, but there is a nice carbonation to it. Smooth finish, and just great flavor all around.

D- Very easy to slug back, but the ABV started hitting me quickly. The booziness becomes pretty evident after it warms a bit. One of the best belgians you can buy in the US in my opinion.

4.07/5  rDev -9.8%

$6.49 for a 12 oz. bottle purchased from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee.

Stamped on the label:
L290812
07:50

A: deep dark brown color with rosy hues, nice tan lacing
S: mild nose, nice roasted/sweet malt with definitely aging noticeable, treacle, caramel
T: very nice beer, nice roasted malt, well-balanced, just a bit too spritzy from carbonation in aftertaste, the CO2 tended to put a bite in the taste, EtOH definitely noticeable
M: good but CO2 does distract a bit
D: very nice and drinkable

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Bought at Drankenhandel Geers.

Very pleasant "discovery" and rightfully so voted as one of the top beers around the world.
Heavy, solid, black-brown trappist with plenty of candy sugars and accordingly sweet (though definitely not overdone), a hint of something roasted or bitter "fondant" chocolate and a very long-lasting aftertaste, though one would only wish it stayed forever.

This one easily waltzed itself into my personal list of favourites and once again it's only confirmed by thousands of other beer enthusiasts around the world.

4.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Reddish-brown with a bit of head. Smells delicious with fruits, figs and spices noticeable. Tastes just as good and the alcohol is definitely present. The fruits and spices are in abundance, yum! Very enjoyable and drinkable but as is with any 11.3% - proceed with caution.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

I went out to find this beer specifically. A little shocked to find it at 7.49 a bottle (11.2 oz). My first dive into the top 10 in the world. haha.

A > Nice dark color with a very nice tanish head, about 1 finger.

S > Very fragrant with a good old fashioned beer smell to it. nothing bad about it.

T > Very nice flavor, there were some sweet coffee notes, with some almost chocolate like burnt caramel notes. Sweet in overall taste.

M > Nice cling but not too much. Light alchol sting near the end, but very good.

D > Would only want 1 or 2 of these but would enjoy every minute of it.

Very happy with this tasting!!

4.57/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from an 11.2 bottle to a duvel tulip glass.

A: very dark with a beautiful creamy head.

S: This is probably the best smelling beer I have ever had. It smells better than most of my favorite wines.

T: This is the best tasting beer I have ever had. period. I am new to the BA and craft beer world, so I don't have a lot of experience, but it is glorious. nicely balance sweet and malty with a well-masked alcohol.

M: A beer that you don't want to swallow right away. feels smooth.

D: Very solid drinkability for it's high alcohol. definitly a sipper and not a session beer by any means, but very good.

4.52/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a dark ruby-brown color with about one fingers of fluffy tan head that disappeared relatively quickly.

The scent is of sweet sugars, licorice, notes of cocoa.

The taste is of sweet sugars, dark fruit, bread, spicy pepper, bold malts, licorice, notable alcohol presence.

Medium bodied, smooth and creamy, moderate carbonation.

This was a very tasty beer, there is so much flavor it is difficult to experience it all in just one beer. I will definitely look for this again.

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

Someone told me that this is the type of beer you need to sip slowly to enjoy, but you will want to gulp it down. Boy was he right. It poured a very very dark brown with a light 1 finger head. The smell as a bit fruitier than I was expecting. When you sip it, you notice immediately that it coats your entire mouth, but it is not heavy at all. I know others have commented on the alcohol bite, but I did not notice it at all -- something quite exceptional for a beer with this ABV. The taste is complex but not overbearing. I do get some dark fruit notes, but everything is balanced exceptionally well. It has a short finish but it is satisfying. I was surprised at complex this was without hitting you in the face. In a word: subtle. It scores a perfect 100 when it comes to drinkability. I can't imagine anything this wouldn't compliment and I couldn't imagine a time of day (or night) when I wouldn't enjoy one of these. Top notch.

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

12oz bottle from Abe's of Bethlehem, PA. Poured carefully into a St. Bernardus chalice.

A- Perfect opaque dark leather color. Fine creamy head. A healthy layer of yeast resides in my bottle where it belongs. Head fades to a thin layer leaving nice lacing.

S- Complex dark fruit and chocolate flavor.

T- Complex plum, melon, raison, grape, fig flavors. Kind of reminds me of a fine chocolate fruit cake? lol. Very unique and distinguishable.

M- Very nice carbonation and taste profile lends to a very nice mouthfeel. To earn a 5.0 it would require just a little bit heavier mouthfeel.

D- This is a fine sipper and truly a world class beverage.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

Crap this is good beer. One finger head of medium brown hue. Thick lace, with little cling. Color is a 33 on the SRM beer color chart. Smells of melon, raisins, plum, peach, molasses, grapes. Flavor is one of the best I have sampled. Figs, plum, peach, pear, melon, molasses, caramel, chocolate. The more I taste the more flavors I find. Rich and creamy in my mouth. I would like to drink this all day, but with the price and the ABV or almost 12 percent, I don't think this will happen. This is a really good beer.

4.28/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from 11oz bottle.

A- Pours a dark brown color. One anda half finger tan head shows great retention. Web style lacing left on the sides of the glass.

S- Tons of sweet caramel malts with large hints of candy sugar toward the front of the aroma. Darker fruits (mostly raisins) dominate right after the initial hints from the front. Nice belgian yeast also comes into play toward the end. Alcohol notes in the ending come into play just for a short second.

T- Toasted toffee malts in the front of the beer. Brown sugar is a big flavor right after the toasted malts. Darker fruits in the beer shine toward the middle with black cherries, prunes, raisins, and anise. Spicey belgian yeast in the background of the later half of the beer itself. Alcohol comes through the ending of the beer as well with light medicinal tones.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was good for the style. Toffee malts with darker fruits left on the palate. Aftetaste is mostly sweet alcohol, darker fruits, and belgian yeasts. This beer is balanced almost perfect. No real off flavors were present. Medium alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This beer is a fantastic example of the style. The ABV doesn't really seem to be there in aroma and taste. I would recommend this beer to anyone who wants a good trappist beer without paying an arm and a leg for another one that you can't get in the states ;)

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a black w/ a perfect off white 2 finger head. It looks perfect in my Chimay glass, thus the rare 5 on appearance. The smell is fantastic- dates, walnuts, malt, spice, very complex smell. I wish I didn't have a cold right now, because I'm having a hard time picking up all the smells- still great though. The taste: One word comes to mind when I take my first sip- "WOW!" I don't know where to begin. Caramel, dates, raisin, malt, and alcohol hit the taste buds. Each mouthfeel is like eating a loaf of bread- but still smooth. Slight burn w/ the alcohol aftertaste. What a great beer. At 11.3%, it's a sipper, and you wouldn't want more than one in a sitting. World class all the way. This is definitely one of my favorite quads, and one of my favorite beers period.

4.84/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours black with a large beautiful off-white head. Special care must be taken to stand this one up for awhile before enjoying, and when it's poured unless you want to chew it you need to keep a close eye on the neck of the bottle and pull back when you see that healthy sediment start to slide down. Unique and wonderful smell of malt and banana. Flavor is fantastic, a malty plum-like flavor that is dry and yeasty. Soft mouthfeel despite the healthy carbonation. Goes down nice, with flavor to the end. Finishes dry and complete. An outstanding beer that I personally enjoy with some nice aged gouda.

4.03/5  rDev -10.6%

A-Pours a dark brown into a chalice with two fingers of light brown head.

S-Smells of dark plum with some alcohol and brown sugar on the finish.

T-Reminds me of Samichlaus at first with dark fruits and has some noticeable alcohol and finishes with a slightly bitter and mildly hot alcohol finish.

M-Mouth-coating and rich without being full-bodied, but closer to light side of medium bodied with a warming mouth- and throat feel.

D-Pretty easy drinking for high of an ABV this one is. I couldn't see having more than a small bottle of it due to the richness of it though.

3.91/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours very dark unfiltered brown. very little light passes through except at the edges. Smallish light brown head.

Smell comes through with lots of sweet malt.

Taste again has lots of malt and sweet. I get some subtle licorice hints and overall quite alcoholic although I would say not at its 11.3% level.

Mouth is a bit thick with a lot of alcohol. decent carbonation.

Drinkability was only OK for me. I know quad Belgians are not my favorite but I was expecting a bit more from this beer. It was OK but I will not go out of my way to have it again. Nothing really stood out to me as exceptional.

4.67/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a small (11.2oz?) bottle into a goblet.

A: Dark caramel with a thin white head that sticks around for a while.

S: Caramel, rock candy, cloves, figs...Ok, its pretty damned complex, everytime you give it a smell, it seem like its changed on you.

T: Taste is truly remarkable. Dark fruits and yeast funkiness come first, but musty hops, caramel sweetness and cognac twang finish.

D: Drinkability is ridiculously high. It isn't hot or unbalanced in the least. It has a tight, prickly carbonation that is almost perfect.

Overall: An incredible beer. So much complexity and depth. This is truly a world class brew. Recommended!

3.82/5  rDev -15.3%

Appearance: Dark brown with a small brown head that does not last. No lacing. Poured in a tulip.

Smell: Noticeable alcohol smell here. Behind it are plums and grapes/raisins and other fruits.

Taste: Again, noticeable alcohol. More plums and raisins, with some other fruit. Has a finish that reminds me of dark rum, strange, but not unpleasant.

Mouthfeel: Nice and thick. Crisp carbonation, but feels a little bit different from other Belgians, was hoping for that perfect Belgian carbonation I've seen other places.

Drinkability: One and done. Its all from the upfront alcohol taste and smell. It does not invite you to drink more. And its a sipper.

Overall: I'm honestly disappointed. For a top 10 beer, I expected more, especially a top ranked Belgian. I was most surprised by the strong alcohol smell and taste, most good beers of this abv hide that. Now, my only other quad experience is Ommegang Three Philosophers, so I'm not a quad expert. I might get another bottle to age and see if that improves it. My guess from the date stamped on the label is that this was bottled 4/14/10, so it would be 10 months old, so it might need more time on top of that. I'm also curious about how other reviews either highlight the alcohol presence, or talk about this wonderful, complex, amazing beer. Will update if I get another one.

4.69/5  rDev +4%

A: Color black, beautiful brown foam.

S: Coffee, black fruit, hard liquor

T: Fairly strong, good alcohol, fruit macéréset good finish

M: Rest well on the palate, good aftertaste.

D: Beer Tasting, to savor.

---

One of the best beers I've tasted a classic Quadrupel.

4.87/5  rDev +8%

Appearance: Cloudy with a deep brownish-red color

Smell: alcohol with yeast, deep fruit

Taste: A perfect balance and complexity. Slightly sweet and malty.

Mouthfeel: bubbly and well carbonated. smooth and creamy

Drinkability: could take two. not nearly as heavy as the ABV would lead on.

This is possibly the most amazing beer I have ever tasted

Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort