Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

A - This beer pours a very rich, deep brown color. A good amount of sediment is apparent throughout, with about a finger width head right after the pour. Head dissipates to a thin, bubbly white ring thereafter.

S - I immediately smell alcohol, along with dark fruits such as cherry, date, and raisins. A floral scent is also apparent upon further smell.

T - The taste is very good, very Belgian. Dark malts are very apparent, as is the subtle notes of fruit, and surprisingly I taste bitter dark chocolate. Pair that along with a bit of the bitter hops and you have a very good tasting beer.

M - It is a rather dry beer, but not too dry. It balances nicely.

D - This was my first Trappist beer, and I must say I am very pleased. I highly recommend this to anyone who passes by it in the store, or sees it at the local pub. I could easily have 2-3 of these in one sitting.

udu86922, Jul 23, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Poured into a snifter. Very dark. Looked amber when pouring , but is dark dark brown in the glass with a thick fluffy bubbly tan head. Some lacing.

S - Outstanding. Rich, sweet, and bitter at the same time. Lots of rich fruit aromas: Pear, grapefruit date, rasin. Malts are caramel with a fleeting cocoa. Never smelled this much in a beer before.

T/M - Mildly biting carbonation delays the taste until it fills your mouth. The fruits aren't as powerful as in the scent. Pears and rasins again, but light and not as sweet. Hops are there enough to offset the sweetness. Warming up the carbonation fades some and the flavors come through more. Wonderfully light for it's richness.

D - Too wonderful to guzzle, and it hits like a rock. But it's sooo easy to drink.

MunchkinDrinker, Jul 22, 2009
4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

10 pours a medium brown with a generous head that doesn't last long. I smell pears and alcohol. The flavor is of dark, ripe fruit and molasses; nice and sweet with no bitterness at all. There is a fair amount of carbonation, it is not a heavy feel beer. I could drink a few of these if I could afford it. This was my third trial of Rochefort 10 and while a liked it, I wanted to wait to make sure I wasn't missing something. I actually liked Bernardus 12 better, although I have a feeling, if I had the willpower to cellar this, it could be very special.

kegger22, Jul 21, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +2%

Pourd into a Rochefort chalice.

Pours a dark brown with a small light brown head that dissipates rather quickly.

Aroma of dark fruits, alcohol and sweet malts.

Taste is wood, dark fruits (figs, raisins, dates), dark malts and light sweetness. Alcohol comes through, though less than you would expect with the ABV. Nicely warming.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and cleansing.

Overall, a deliciious brew. Perfect digestive. Wonderful example of the style.

atigerlife, Jul 18, 2009
4.66/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

11.2oz bottle poured into my St. Bernardus chalice.

A: Pop the cap and this Belgian started to force its way out of the bottle - the second time I've pulled an overcarbonated Belgian from the store. Murky, cloudy, muddy burgundy-brown body settling under a whipped, creamy off-white colored head that peaks at about a half finger's thickness only to quickly reside down to a ring of miniscule bubbles. Lacing creeps up the side of the glass with each sip.

S: Nose presents alot of dark fruit - raisins, plums, maybe even a hint of cherry. There is also a sugary, candy-like sweetness in the nose. A measure of spice adds some edge to the nose - some pepper, maybe a dash of cinnamon. A nice backdrop of warm, fresh-baked bread and honey from the malts follows the fruity sweetness. At the very end, alcohol fumes become present - slightly medicinal, stinging on the nostril.

T: Candy sugar sweetness up front mixing with boozy dark fruit - rum raisin, some black cherry too. Maybe its my palate, but I also think I taste a touch of citrus - some pineapple? Wouldn't be surprised if that ester arises from the Belgian yeast. Sweetness offset at first by some herbal spiciness - fresh pepper, cinnamon, cloves. Then the malts kick in and add more subtle layers beneath the sweetness - warm baked bread with butter and drizzled with honey, sweet cake, some nutty, buttery notes linger after each sip. Finish begins with a heavy, grainy, wheat husk flavor and a slight, pleasant burn from the alcohol that becomes fusal as the glass warms and then ends with a plethora of fruity esters - raisin, maybe some pear too. Quite complex and I'm sure there are probably many more layers to be discovered on a second go-round.

M: At first, this quad it quite slick, almost sticky on the tongue as I swish it around. Then the mouthfeel goes slightly dry, powdery-like. Nice contrasts in the mouthfeel from the first second it hits the tongue to the swallow.

D: 11.3% ABV is noticeable in both the nose and the taste, especially as the glass warms to room temp. Even in light of the alcohol, this quad is not hard to drink whatsoever. I think the only factor that would knock down drinkability for me is the fact that St. Bernardus Abt 12 is just as readily available, cheaper, and offers up its own enjoyable complexities.

A premier Belgian Quad, and one that I am glad to have the opportunity to try since it is unlikely I'll get my hands on a Westy 12 in the forseeable future. Massively complex flavor profile with a nice kick. Delicious and closely comparable to the St. Bernardus Abt 12 in all aspects except for price. At $6.50 for a 11.2oz bottle of 10 vs $10.50 for a 750mL of the 12... the 12 gets the nod with my pocketbook. Setting price considerations aside, however, I would say the Rochefort 10 just edges out the Abt 12 with a more complex palate on offer. If money was no object, I think I'd splurge for the 10 over the Abt 12 more often than not. But since this is my overall assessment of the beer, and because price is one factor which inherently impact my ability to afford the beers I wish to enjoy, I can't help but factor that element into my final rating. It is for that reason alone that I give it a slight reduction in its overall score.

Bottom line: the Rochefort 10 is a killer Quad, one I would love to enjoy again, though I would probably reserve it for the most special occasions given its cost point compared to the equally fantastic Abt 12... but again that is just me being cost conscious. Recommended.

Buschyfor3, Jul 18, 2009
4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

330ml bottle, a pleasant sight at a surprising number of liquor stores around town these days - nice.

This beer pours a dark chocolate-milk brown hue, with sediment reeling throughout, and two fingers of solid, yet airy beige head, which melts away at an even pace, leaving some low-slung mountain vista lace around the glass.

It smells of floral, spiced orchard fruit, lemongrass, a subtle graininess, and mild citrus vodka. The taste is big sweet candy sugar malt, a hint of yeasty rising bread, dark fleshy fruits, soused orange, Turkish delight, and mild earthy, leafy hops.

The carbonation is very laid back, rendering a cozily soft, creamy, and solid body, without allowing a drop-off into any sappy cloyingness. It finishes quite dry, with the floral candied fruit hanging on for good measure.

In all this sturm und drang, one is left to wonder - where went the heat? Like its little brother, the 8, you have to reflect somewhat in order to detect the alcohol beyond a slight general warming. Perceived drinkability will not equal actual end-game drinkability with this one, of that I am certain. Still, drink this, just because you damned well can.

biboergosum, Jul 18, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours a deep brown color with a thick tan head. Aroma of fruit, sweet candy, and alcohol. Flavor is raisiny, with alcohol, figs, plums, grapes, and other dark fruits. Yeast and more alcohol round this one out. Champagnish fizzyness, finishes dry but with a tart sweetness at the end of the finish. Good.

pepsican, Jul 17, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

A: This beer is very dark - black. It is hazy with a healty dose of sediment from the yeast.
The head is massive, even and white. It takes a while before it dissipates and then there are very nice lacings left.

S: Since this beer is rahter strong (alcohol-wise) it's no surprise that you sence rather obvious alcohol, but there is also roasted malt, floral hops and some fruit (raisins).

T: The alcohol is present, as well as the roasted malt, but there is also caramell malt, sweetness, complexity and fruit (citrus). In no other beer I had earlier has the taste of dark bitter chocolate been so obvious.
The aftertaste is well balanced between the dryness and the sweetness. There is bitter hops and the aftertaste lasts all weekend.

M: Alcohol of course but this isn't just alcohol - it's very powerful and dry.

D: A fantastic beer, a fantastic Trappist-beer. Of all the Trappist-beers I had I guess the only ones that can compete with this one is Westmalle Dubbel and Tripel. If you find this one in the store or pub - BUY IT!

Evil_Pidde, Jul 16, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -5.1%

About time. This bottle is from October 2007, which puts it at about 21 months.

A: Decanted into my Chimay chalice, Rochefort 10 sits a deep ruby red with mahogany highlights. Very fine carbonation helps maintain a finger-thick head. Held against the light, this beer is gorgeous enough to don the cover of a mag.

S: I can smell it a foot away and it's appealing as hell. A very deep and complex malty aroma comes through, with an intoxicating fig character, a bready backbone that lends depth and a mild and interesting cherry-like tartness. The combination of the fruit and the mild alcohol brings to mind a good Caribbean rum . A mild nutty aroma is also present. Exceptional in delicacy, depth and breadth.

T: The alcohol does dominate the palate, and leads the opening salvo. The flavors that follow behind run the gamut, from fruity to dark caramel, to mildly earthy with a surprising hint of mushrooms. Mildly spicy as well, with a mild anise and mace character. The aforementioned mushroom character is rather strange, and I'm wondering if I'm misidentifying something. Finishes dry and warming. With close to 2 years on it, it still tastes a little hot

M: Very light and airy in body, the fine carbonation further accentuates the lightness of this beer. Finishes dry and spicy with a combination of anise and alcohol

D: Halfway through my glass, my head is starting feel the effects. This semi-warm summer night is not ideal conditions for a boozy quad, but this is still very enjoyable.

**Edit 26 May 2012**
Brad gave me a bottle as an extra in a trade a few years back, best by 24 November 2009. That puts this at just shy of 8 years.

The nose is excellent. It's got a blend of cola, burnt sugar, brown sugar, a little bit of hazelnut liqueur (Frangelico?). Alcohol has finally simmered down. A blend of sherry and cola comes to mind.
The palate opens with a lot of dark fruit - plums, some raisins, some sherry, again, a little cola. Some mild nuttiness. The spice character has mellowed, and allowed the fruit to come to the forefront. Fairly dry, the finish has flavors of almonds, cola and sherry. Excellent.
4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5

DefenCorps, Jul 16, 2009

drank this beer from 11.2 oz bottle that I bought from the Abbey in Rochefort form a 70 year old Monk.

The body is dark amber in the light, brown otherwise. The pour is outstanding with a light brown head huge that stays forever. When it does fall it does so in chunks and is beautiful. The lace is great and sticks all over the glass. There is yeast all over the glass and adds to a stunning look.

It smells of dried fruits, alcohol and chocolate.

The taste is phenomal. It is a balance of chocolate, coffee and alchol.

This is the best beer in the world.

jrallen34, Jul 11, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a very dark brown with a medium whitish-tan head. Aroma is caramel and toffee with notes of apples and plums. Earthy. Taste has a dark sweetness- burnt, or perhaps very very dark, sugar/caramel. Background sweetness. Notes of raisins and prunes. Bitterness from the middle through the finish. Earthy and deep flavor throughout. Noticeable alcohol warmth and a dry finish. Long lasting pleasant aftertaste. Very very good. Mouthfeel is full bodied. Delicious, balanced, and complex. This is a quad and it's obviously a sipper but it's pretty drinkable- I could drink this all night. Excellent.

burnstar, Jul 11, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Revision, all right, I'm a jackass, the review below was for a beer that was consumed way to cold. Tonight I took a St. Bernardus 12 and a Rochefort 10 out of the fridge at the same time, opened both, drank the Bernardus first, then about 15 minutes later poured the Rochefort. Awesome, simply awesome, disserves all accolades, simply, best beer I've ever had. If Westy 12 is better (I've never had it) then it truly must be the best beer on earth. The 10 has an incredible nose, rich flavor, and a great finish.

DO NOT drink this beer ice cold, let it warm, my god what a reward.

---
Ok, finally opened my first Rochefort 10. Now I need to make one admission, I believe I drank this beer too fast as the last sips (after the beer has warmed a bit) were different from the first. I had high expectations for this beer at the outset having tried the 6 and the 8 beforehand. This bottle "expires" December 31st of 2013 so it was definitely on the fresh side.

Appearance: Like its siblings it pours a murky dark brown into a Chimay Chalice. More head both at first and as it settles than the 6 or 8. The lacing is by far the best of the 3. Heavy, heavy, sediment (as is the style).

Smell: Complex but less so than the 8, not as much depth. Does not strike the nose like the 8.

Taste: Very good, again deep & rich but with the warmth of the extra alcohol. The flavors are more subtle as if fighting to get through the warmth of the alcohol. Rich beer and again (to beat the dead horse) very warm.

Mouth feel: Smooth and well carbonated and improves as the beer warms over time.

Drinkability : Sessionable, and a wonderful session it would be, but a crime to drink fast this beer should be served warmer I would let it sit for 15 minutes out of the fridge before you open it and then drink it slow.

This is very good beer. My first impression is "very, very, good" but the 8 was "incredible". I immediately followed the 10 by pouring another 8 and it confirmed my judgment. The 8 is a world class beer and the 10 is an excellent beer. Frankly, I wanted the 10 to be better than the 8, but it isn't. A very good beer truly, but the ABV gets in the way in the 10 that it does not in the 8. I have 5 more bottles that I will let age in my cellar and report on changes over time. In the near term I will try another 10 (the sixth in the cellar)that I will let warm a little first. Finally, a store in the area has the 8 for $3.29 a bottle I am going there and buying every last bottle they have. I will put the "warmed" 10 head-to-head with the St. Bernardus Abt 12 shortly (and include the 8 in the session) I'll revise my review if necessary.

BobZ, Jul 11, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours perfectly with massive amounts of light tan head, which sticks around for a good spell. The body is dark brown and murky, also does not allow light to pass through at all. Lacing sticks well all the way through to the end of the 33cl serving.

Aroma is sweet and bready. A slight hint of lemon hops character is moderately detectable.

Taste wise it's a medley of flavors just like its weaker sister. Dark fruits such as prunes and raisons are immediate. A little citrusy in the middle and a blunt finish from the high ABV incorporated into this brew.

The mouthfeel is full in body and prickly with all of the carbonation. It's a little syrupy all the way through and finishes with the typical alcohol warmth.

This si a very complex and thought provoking brew, nice to sip on and relax with a fine peaceful evening.

TheSarge, Jul 06, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured a very dark brown that was mostly opaque unless held up to the light. Very clingy 1/4" head that left some nice lacing the whole way down.

Smell was fruity and earthy. Pleasant, but I was hoping for more.

Taste was exceptional. Raisins, and other vinous tastes. A spicy almost red bell pepper taste is evident as well as a little kick of warming alcohol. The sweetness of candy sugar is also there but only for a moment.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied. I definately can't drink more than 1 of these without feeling the buzz. Another good beer I'll have to try again.

snpub540, Jul 06, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter and I am greeted with a massive three finger beige head with major lacing as it subdues. The color is a dark milk chocolate brown.

The aroma consists of floral, dark fruits and raisins. Very well done.

Whoa! I was expecting a sweet taste but am met with a somewhat bland bitter taste. I don't taste much of what I smelled. There is almost a numbing after the swallow on my inner gums. Pepper-ish characteristics as well. Warming alcohol is noticable.

Creamy mouthfeel with a little foam on each sip.

Drinkability is somewhat low as it would be extremely difficult to consume much more than one because of the high alcohol.

I was really, really hoping for more from this beer as it rates so high from other consumers. I was fairly disappointed by the taste when the smell was so pleasing. I would get again but at almost $8 a pop, my money would go elsewhere first.

kaseydad, Jul 03, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Tan head on a dark brown/black body. Carbonation is nice, more than I expected.

Smell: Pungeant mess of fruits. Raisins, plums, melons.

Taste: Yeast gives it a nice spiciness, and also gives it a little bit of doughy flavor in my opinion. The fruits that are present in the smell aren't as big in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Prickley carbonation and warming alcohol.

BierFan, Jul 01, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

I've been drinking the #8 for quite some time and absolutely love it. I've come across the #10 in the store but never picked it up, but after seeing it was rated the #1 beer in the world by this fine website and magazine, I just had to try it.

Appearance: Dark brown, almost black with tints of red. Light tan head that doesn't stick around.

Smell: Lots of dark fruits on the nose with just a small amout of sweet malts. Maybe even a hint of candied sugar...damn i'm excited to drink this!

Taste: Now I know why this incredible brew was rated of #1! Once again lots of dark fruits, sugary raisin flavors mixed with sweet malts, plums and even a hint of fresh grape, with just a slight hint of alcohol on the backend.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, easy drinking, surprising for a Quad.

I am so glad that I finally drank what can only be descibed as a "nectar of the gods". When I die and if there is a heaven and for some reason St. Peter opens the pearly gates for me, I can only hope that this beer is available. But if I have to head in the opposite direction for eternity, maybe the ruler of the underworld will have a few cellered that he would be willing to part with.

brewbasterd, Jul 01, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +0.9%

Approx. 55 degrees, in a snifter

A gentle pour produces a two finger head of lather-like foam above a nearly opaque, reddish brown, thickly made, beauty of a beer. The head recedes very slowly and leaves clouds of lace on my snifter.

The nose is a heavenly vapor of alcohol, caramel, dark fruit, mild spice, subtle bitter, and other wonderful aromas for which I lack the palate to describe. It's not as strong a scent as ABT 12, but at least as delicious.

The taste is a remarkable invasion of delicious flavor. It is an alive explosion of caramel, plum, earth, sweet alcohol warmth, mild yeast notes with a subtle, pleasing sourness, and a plethora of spicy, bitter, perfectly chosen and balanced undernotes that dance through it all, and round it into a spectacular finish of fruit, alcohol, herbosity, and bitter. It is complex, and wonderful, what a marvelous brew.

Judging mouthfeel for style I would say this is the benchmark. Full bodied and resinous for a looong finish, very clean, clears out, light in the mouth, even refreshing for a beer that is a sipper.

Drinkability, considering style, is spectacular. I have finished the 11.2 ounces in the time it has taken to form this review.

cavedave, Jun 28, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

This beer pours dark brown in color with a three finger head and nice lacing. The smell is sweet with plums and raisins. Tastes of dark fruits and finishes with a spicy and hoppy flavor, similar to the taste that gingerbread leaves in your mouth.. I can taste many similarities to red wine. The mouthfeel is silky and smooth and is perfectly carbinated. Drinkability is limited only by the high abv. I wish I would of not started drinking this quite so cold this just keeps getting better. A must try.

johnd513, Jun 27, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -12.9%

I think this beer is a bit overrated, but the last two times I've had it it was so bad I decided to hold judgement.

You have to drink this one just under room temperature, else it is like syrup. Then it tastes right.

A - Black with candy brown at the edges. Really too dark for a quad, which in my opinion should be a nice translucent candy brown, like brown sugar. Don't forget the floaties, either, which i don't like in my beer. They look like fond, the little burnt bits that get left on a skillet, which indicates a pretty killer decoction mash, or if they are bits of husk, sloppy sparging. In spite of some zealous carbonation, the slightly starchy, milk chocolate-like head disipates quicky.

T & S - It almost approaches a "beer liquor" in terms of taste and smell, indicating an excessive amount of the monk-famous candi sugar used, probably 15%-20% of the fermentables. You've got your industry standard dark fruits and spices in there, dry maltiness, and stale hops (not a bad thing for this style). Muted and a bit cheesy, I'd say Styrian Goldings and some Hallertaur. Close your eyes and you can imagine the minute amounts of corriander they've said they put in there. This all wafts up thru your nose carried on warm, undulating wings of alcohol. Feels like you're holding a shot of cheap toffe-flavored liquor up to your nose at times, if not for the complexity of the whole thing.

M &D - Thick and syrupy on the one hand, and paradoxically thin on the other. The tons of carbonation really bring this beer to life, otherwise it's like a flat, beery brandy or whisky. Which is unfortunate because it all escapes VERY fast (probably at least in part due to the beer needing a warm serving temperature) so you're kind of forced to choke this 11.5% fucker down. Drinking it becomes a race against equilibrium thermodynamics. I wish it would stay around longer, I was starting to enjoy it. Mabye it would benefit from a chilled glass.

The guys at Rochefort really should let this one age for awhile before shipping it out, they are really shooting themselves in the foot by shipping it out so young. I read that this one goes from grain to bottle in 3 weeks! All the elements of a great beer are there but they are just so disseperate that it's a little like trying to piece together a puzzle.

ericduran, Jun 27, 2009

I have had this beer fairly frequently over the past 10 years but have never sat down to review it till now. I received a bottle as a gift and poured into my trappistes rochefort chalice. The color is a dark amber with about a half inch head, I pour the whole bottle so there is noticeable sediment. The smell is like Christmas morning, a sweet blend of clove, anise, dried fruit, and alcohol. The taste evolves with every sip, with a masterful blend of raisin, plum, clove, anise, among other spices, and a warming alcohol finish. It's truly one of the few beers that seem to evolve with each sip. The mouthfeel is soft and smooth, a little on the chewy side. The high alcohol content is expertly masked by all the sweetness and complex flavors. There is just so much to say about this beer and yet words really fail to do it the proper justice it deserves. To me, the Rochefort 10 is the gold standard by which all beers are measured, yet none can live up to. Drink in good health, friends. Prost!

icemanrulz, Jun 27, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +6%

A: Served in a goblet. Pours a thick brown color with a 3 finger head. Lacing is very thick. Perfect lacing as the drink goes down.

S: Smells of sweet bread and fig pudding. Yeasty notes enhance the strong sweet malt presence

T: There is so much flavor here in each sip. Each one brings a deep complex dark fruit of raisins and plums. Sewwt ness gives way to a slight spicy noble hop presences then melds back into a strong sweet malt finish.

M: Full bodied, but doesnt let on that it is. There is a presence of alcohol but onbly slighty warm.Very easy to quaff

O: This beer has to be the best widely available Trappist Quad out there. It is simply amazing every time I come back to it.

DwnTwnBwn, Jun 25, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -12.9%

This is probably the highest rated beer I have ever had to date. I had the Rochefort 8 yesterday and enjoyed it quite a bit. Here is my review of the 10:

A: Pours a murky brown color with a nice frothy tan head. Lacing is very thick. Head just sticks around. I think this one is a little darker than the 8. There is also quite a bit of brown sediment, not only in the beer itself, but in the head also.

S: Smells similar to the 8, but I get a much more pronounced red wine aroma. Lots of dark fruits. Alcohol is very pronounced as well. Kind of burns the nose a little.

T: First couple sips are quite overpowering. Tastes exactly like a red wine with a major alcohol aftertaste. But, once you get past that, there is some major flavor complexity here. For starters, this is on the sweet side. The first thing you will taste is the dark fruit, lots of currants, plums, cherry and figs. There are toffee notes in there as well. The spices are very prominent and intermingle with the major alcohol profile in the finish.

M: Medium bodied. Somewhat dry finish. Quite a bit of alcohol burn. Other than the alcohol in the finish, it is a very smooth beer overall.

D: This is a sipper. No question about it. Very rich and drinks more like a wine than a beer. This is a beer you only drink on special occasions. I couldn't imagine drinking this more than one or two times the whole year.

I have to admit, this is probably the most wine-like beer I have ever had. The alcohol astringency in the finish is probably the biggest deterrent for me. Other than that, this is probably one of the most complex beers around and is worth trying at least once. I personally found the Rochefort 8 a little more drinker friendly. Check em both out if you can. Recommended.

OldSchoolGamer, Jun 23, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

If this is not the perfect beer, it is quite close. Typical quad brown, lighter around the edges, with light lacing head. Nose is dominated by roasted caramel, chocolate, and loads of yeasty fruitiness. Sweet taste with milky chocolate and slight nuttiness over that glorious caramel. Warming alcohol is evident but adds to balance. If not for the inherent weight of the beer, I could drink this thing all night. My favorite beer? A good possibility.

boxofepilepsy, Jun 23, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from a chilled bottle into room temp goblet.

Pours a murky reddish-brown with a thin scrim of cream colored head. Lots of floaties in here. This is what the bottom of the nile looks like during flood season.

Aromas of plums and other dark fruits. Spices on top of faint fumes of alcohol. Esters and the faintest scent of cream (for some reason...)

Tastes like a great quad! Lots of dark fruit and wine-like goodness up front. A light but well balanced back end consisting of hops and alcohol. Faintly warming, but refreshing at the same time.

The mouthfeel is ok, but I would love to have just a bit more carbonation. That would fill out the body just a bit and really round this out for me. The tastes do a good job of lightly coating and not overpowering.

Overall drinkability is good for an imported quad. The only thing really keeping me from drinking this regularly is availability and price.

If you can find it, buy it and set it aside for a special occasion.

Klgkenny, Jun 22, 2009