Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

A dark muddy brown color body with two fingers of fluffy light tan lasting head , loads of sheeting and lacing , lots of tiny carbonation bubbles. Aroma of dark fruit ,grapes and berries , earthy hops,toffee and caramel ,and wood. Flavor is sweet ,and spicy , lots of earthy roasted malt hops and bread dough ,rasins ,plums and apples . very complex and well rounded . Full body with a creamy yet lite mouthfeel , mildly bitter and dry at the finish . Very drinkable and good is all areas . Nice

WakeandBake, Aug 17, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

A = Poured very dark brown with some deep red tones as well. Big soapy head quickly dissipated. Moderate lacing.

S = Intense aromas of dark fruits, spices, and malt. Bread and yeast also present. You don't have to hunt to find the smell here, it hits you head on.

T = Very intense flavors. Has a very strong sweet front, something like brown sugar, molasses, and cinnamon. There's a rum like presence to go with the classic dark fruit notes of the belgian quads - raisins, plums, and figs. The yeast is subdued, which I prefer. There is a bit of a hop bite in the finish, with only moderate alcohol burn. Exceptionally well done.

M = A bit jumpy on the carbonation in the beginning, although it settles down. Smooth and creamy for the most part.

D = Given the style, this is quite drinkable. The ABV is disguised. The taste is not.

Overall, possibly better than the TW12, which is saying a lot.

JonMich13, Aug 16, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Second brew from my latest offering that I got from Abe's Cold Beer in Bethlehem. Decided to go with a few classics this time and it's tough to find one any more legendary than Rochefort 10.

A: Dark brown, almost black, with a creamy off-white head which left some decent lacing.

S: Nice caramel, dark fruits, touch of cinnamon, and a good undertone of earthy/ yeastiness.

T: A nice mixture of dark/ fall fruit flavors, caramel, toffee, booze, and nuts. All balanced quite nicely with a VERY Belgian yeasty/ earthy undertone.

M: Creamy and full-bodied with moderate carbonation

D: I can see why this is a classic, a nice sipping beer with extremely unique flavors. I liked the old world style and flavor, this is a brew that will stand the test of time. I'm excited to try a few more Quad's (now that my palate has developed more of a liking) with St. Bernardus Abt 12 ready in the fridge. It goes without saying that a beer this storied is a must try amongst the beer loving public.

I tried to drink this a bit too cold when I started and I realized pretty quickly I had to let it warm a bit to bring out the full flavor (be warned).

jdg204, Aug 15, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a deep brown with burgandy hints, a huge amount of initial head, some nice lacing, and a glop of sediment into the middle of the foam. Great scent, a huge hit of fig with an earthy brown ale scent; thick and rich with a huge maltiness. Excellent taste, as well; very barleywinish, with its deep and thick malt flavor, but with a nice slight sweetness and nice hints of fruit, especially fig. Goes down great, thick and great, without a hint of its high ABV. Great beer!

JamesS, Aug 14, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -8%

I'm definitely still developing my palette for trappist ales, and drinking beers such as the rochefort 10 is really helping me along my way. this was an awesome, very noteworthy brew that a few of us enjoyed sharing until the last drop.

the sight of it is really something to behold. dark cola in complexion, the head definitely revealed it to be far beyond a mexicoke (coke in a bottle... we can only find them out here in taquerias...). it was eggshell in color, and rocky as it subsided... looked like the underside of a cloud sitting on top of the beer.

smelled sweet and soapy with some banana esters. it wasn't far off from what I'm used to smelling in a belgian, though clearly more alcoholic than normal.

tasted of brown sugar, caramel, raisins and... alcohol... really a very hot beer, but there's a ton more going on aside from the alcohol itself, I want to make that much clear. this beer rounds out with a sugary sweetness that just sits at the back of your mouth for years.

mouthfeel was nothing short of full and creamy... that's really all I have to say about it.

I would say this were much more drinkable if it weren't for the sharp alcohol bite. I enjoyed every aspect of it, just couldn't handle a ton.

EliottJW, Aug 13, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

-super dark chocolate brown. tall, thick, light brown head. some nice floaties indeed

-little wine smelling, got some belgian up in it for sure

-some slight buttery taste on the tongue at first then theres a big fruity burst of flavor. strong in the alcohol, you can feel it when you breath out and really lingers on the throat.

-pretty crazy. my belly is warm...its an extension of my mouth really

-need friends to drink this beer, but it is very good

juhl31, Aug 13, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Poured deep brown with a 1 inch tan head. Carbonation is very noticeable right away. Smells of dark fruit, caramel, and spices. Tastes of heavy malt, dark fruit and spice, with a well perceived alcohol. Hops come through on the backend to balance out the brew. Mouthfeel is good and chewy. I thought drinkability was good, but not great. I prefer the St. Bernardus ABT 12 in that regard. The alcohol flavor is more pronounced in the Rochefort, which detracts from its otherwise wonderful flavors. It is definitely a sipping brew, and I would definitely have another given a chance. Goes great with a nice heavy meal.

illinijer, Aug 13, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured into a goblet for a small tan head resting on top of a dark brown body. Caramelized malt and sugar on top of yeast and orange/dark fruits all hit my nose. Great smooth and creaminess tucked into a medium body. There is a sweetness to this beer from caramel and sugary candy flavors as well as a smoothness derived from something like oak/wood which is noticeable on back end. Balanced w/ fruit flavors like orange and some figs, there is a light herbal and spicy hop presence in the back which leads to a balanced beer with a little bit of a dry kick. The ABV complements the backend as well but by no means overpowers the beer whatsoever. This is a great beer to sip on, especially after a meal.

clayrock81, Aug 12, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

Deep hazelnut brown color with a dark read hue. Nice large head that laces down the glass.

Apricot, raisins, dark fruits, all followed by a sweet nuttiness and enveloped in a nice subtle spice.

Sweet citrus hits first but only for a second quickly the apricot and honey flavors next sip brings more dark fruits and brown sugar. Nice peppery bite from the alcohol, its not very hidden, but its very appropriate.

The heavy carbonation pairs well with the thick malty body and equally high alcohol. I have one aging in the cellar can't wait to see what a couple of years do to this bad boy.

bfields4, Aug 11, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

I had really high hopes for this beer, thanks to both its BA standing and it's $7+ price tag. Enjoyed in a tulip.

A: a great big head erupts out of my tulip. It's beige, frothy, and gorgeous over my ruby red and mahogany ale. Incredible retention and wonderful lacing. There's not a thing about the appearance that could be improved.
S: massive aromas out of the pour. Fruits like figs and berries, dark spices, and candied sugar. Heavy on malts with some hot alcohol in the back. Also peppery and is that a hint of banana?
T: wow. More complexity here than I have the palate for! Huge sweet malts are so present with dark fruits and berries gracing my palate with their presence. Spiciness tickles my tongue. I get very subtle hints of coffee but they come and go so quickly. Anise is light but surely present, as is a thin caramel-like flavor. There's probably a better way to describe it, but all I can think of "flavor of candy you want to suck on all day." Stone fruits get stronger with warmth. The alcohol is there, but it in passing for now. One more note here is the oak/wood. This is a flavor that is an anchor for all other flavors that combine to make this sublime beer. Apples pull through with even more warmth. I am floored. This is truly brilliant.
M: medium body and carbonation. Sweet residuals coat my palate and even dry it a bit.
D: though it's a sipper, I'd drink it before the alcohol rears its head. I'd love to try this with 2 years on it!

washburnkid, Aug 10, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Picked this up at Joe Canal's in Lawrenceville, NJ for about $6.XX

A: Pours a deep, rich cloudy, unfiltered mahogany color that produces a MASSIVE rocky, fluffy, billowy off-white color. Truly a thing of beauty. Retention is perfect - the foam remains the entire time. Tons of yeast chunks at the end of the glass. Simply amazing.

S: Yeasty at first, but as it warms up, tons of different fruits come out. Very complex, and as it warms, it only gets deeper and deeper. Alcohol IS a little upfront when it warms, but not distracting. Bubblegum. Raisins, plums, apricot, and a few other dark fruits that I still cannot identify. Pears and slight banana as well. (I'm reviewing as we speak so I've been finding things as I go here).

T: Fruity and complex. Warming alcohol is present, yet at the same time pretty well hidden. More plum, raisin, and apricot...very mellow yet powerful fruits provide a low key flavor profile, but the sheer complexity of this brew is absolutely mind blowing. Also, I'm getting some woody notes, as well as some nutty flavors. The yeast also adds a unique Belgian aspect; esters, bubblegum, and spearmint

MF/D: Nice and chewy for a quad. Rich flavors provide a long, pruney/plumy finish. Truly chewy. Very clean and crisp.

Notes: I much prefer this brew to the Westvleteren 12, and perhaps the best beer I have sampled to date. People say that the US makes the best beer, but try to touch the Belgian's ability to create this velvet mouthfeel and play with the yeasts like this. That alone is proof that the Belgian's still have some things on lock.

scottyshades, Aug 10, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

Thick black and opaque. A caramel rich head with bubbles appearing from the depths of its abyss. No sediment in the bottle at all.

A smell rich with flavor and complex malts. Fruit sents of grapes and pears.

Taste is strong and very malty. It would do well to age this beer for a few years. There are many wonderful flavors swirling across my pallet with purple colors flooding my mind.

With a sudden presence of wine a sharp fizz pulls its deadening rush of nerves across my mouth. After a few sips I am now used to the rush and rather enjoyed those first sips of the beer taking over my mouth's sense of feeling.

Superbly drinkable, but with cellar age under its belt this beer could do wonders.

Cheers,
Jordan.

JordanEllwanger, Aug 09, 2009
4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle into an Oerbier chalice

Pours a deep mahogany color with red highlights. A thin off white head caps the beer

Loads of dark fruit - raisins,plum, a bit of apple. Sweet, spicy, bready. Exciting.

Sugarysweet, the raisin is strong, a bit of cherry. The spicy notes come through next, pepper, clove. The maltiness is there too, not heavily roasted, T: Candy sugar sweetness up front mixing with boozy dark fruit - rum raisin, some black cherry too. Maybe its my palate, but I also think I taste a touch of citrus - some pineapple? Wouldn't be surprised if that ester arises from the Belgian yeast. Sweetness offset at first by some herbal spiciness - fresh pepper, cinnambut bready and rich. The alcohol is quite contained.

Oily, sticky, pleasant. Carbonation is strong -small bubbles, nice and tingly.

A booming Quad, fantastic, complex, deep and enjoyable. Highly recommended. Would love to drink this on a cool fall day, one after another.

mhatters, Aug 09, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

P: Begian dark bottle with fanilar purchased at World of Beers in Clearwater Florida.

A: Dark, nice head with lots of sedimant!!!

S: Sweet and herbal.somewhat medicinal.

T: Very pepery, smooth and warming. Absoulutey incredible!!! The 11.3% abv is not obvious and I could drink this all day long.

M: creamey, silky smooth and warm. An absolute sublime experence. Why can't all beers be like this?

Drinkabilty & Notes: As good as I can imagine and better than I expected. I have yet to try Westy but this was the best I have ever had. 10 times better than Rochefort 8. Get all you can if you find it!!!

grdahl, Aug 08, 2009
4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

Lousy day at work, time to splurge and write my first review.

I could smell the beer beer as soon as I poured it. Nice strong Belgian scent. Hey, what are these chunks of blackened yeast? you go in too.

Kind of alcoholic at first, not too impressed...really starts to show up about 4 sips in, maybe I let it get to cold, maybe I just needed to get used to the alcohol. This is a sipper here. Tasty as hell, a little sweet, a little yeasty, a lot of other deliscousness that I can't describe.

I held off buying this for a while due to the price, but it's worth it. I've been working on this for 40 minutes now as I write this. I've got one sip left. That's got some staying power. I'd drink another if I had it, probably should not have bought this, cause now I know it's gonna become a rare/regular (the beer you pull out when it's been a lousy or special day, loosely defined so that each week will have at least one such day to ensure maximum beer exposure)

Late not: Apparently there were 2 sips left, this really a slow drinking beer.

BeerCoffeeWater, Aug 08, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Rochefort 10 pours a deep ruby in a sniffer glass. The aroma of ripe figs, raisins, dark fruit and slight dark chocolate leads to a great finish. Nice and dry; exceptionally not overwhelming for the taste buds.

For the novice: Expect a flood of ripeness, but the body is surprising light. Yet again, this is a sipping brew. Best bet is simply enjoying it alone at first.

Personally: This is one of my personal cherished beers. I like to have a bottle every year to age for the next holiday season. Rochefort 10 is a testament to the excellence and taste supremacy of Belgian beers.

WCBCFrank, Aug 07, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -23.5%

Near black four with a school of floaties racing around the glass. 3 fingers of fluffy head that camps out and leaves thick lacing down the side of the glass. Would be an easy 5 if it didn't look like someone dumped sawdust in my beer. Smell is sweet dark fruits, rubbing alcohol, grape juice. A little hot but still nice.

The first time I drank this beer I had only been into craft beer for a month or two. I remember thinking it was WAAYY too hot and I didn't like it really at all. It will be interesting to see how I feel about it now....

...ok, taking my first sip the alcohol heat is not nearly as bad as I remember it. There is still a slight burn, but at 11% I think I will give it a pass. The flavors underneath the alcohol are nice, but not really mind blowing. A bit of raisin and fig, some woodiness....and after a few more sips the alcohol is starting to get really annoying. It is not overwhelming but it makes up far too much of the flavor profile and hides the good stuff. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, drinkability suffers greatly from the booziness.

It is often stated that this beer is equal or superior to Westy 12 but I don't agree with that one bit. In fact, I would go so far as to say it shouldn't be even be mentioned in the same sentence as St. Bernardus 12 or Pannepot. I'm not trying to trash it because it surely is a high quality beer, but it is not world class according to my palate.

alcstradamus, Aug 07, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

served in a Rochefort goblet.

A-- dark, dark brown with a tan head. Head was 1 inch and quickly faded. Good amount of carbonation with the beer. Was amazed by how dark the beer was. Made me salivate in excitement.

S-- Burnt sugar, figs, vanilla, and alcohol. Lots of alcohol. The more it warmed the more apparent the alcohol became.

T-- candied sugar and alcohol. Well carbonated but I said several times in lunch that this was so not what I expected and was just tasting the alcohol

M-- Overly sweet and too much alcohol. There was such a burn with this it was just hard to drink. The warmer it got th worse the burn was. Too heavy for me I think.

D-- One was enough.

I will be honest as I have sat on these notes for 3 weeks now. I feel guilty for even writing this. So many good reviews and I just flat out was unhappy with this beer. ABV was too high for me I think. I will try the 8 and try this again. It may not be a beer that just suits me and that I get. I got too much alcohol and it was a total turn off to me.

mulder1010, Aug 05, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into a Koningshoven goblet.

A: An opaque dark brown with a thin layer of white foam.

S: Chocolate, figs, sugar, raisins, and vanilla.

T: Chocolate, figs, and raisins with a nice sweet finish.

M: Good body, a bit of fizz, dry.

D: Wonderful beer. I'm not normally a big fan of Quads, but I am doing my best to try all of the Trappist ales, and this is one that has definitely lived up to the billing.

womencantsail, Aug 05, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a cloudy brown with some reddish highlights and cream head. As my main men from Texas, ZZ top sings, "She's got Legs, she knows how to use them"

Smells of port, brandy, raisins, some caramel action. Like deglazing a pan of raisinets with a 10 year old tawny port wine.

Tastes of dark sugars, figs, raisins, heavy and sticky. Use your imagination for heavy and sticky, some things can't be untyped.

The only bit of alcohol you detect is that creeping, lingering warmth that runs down your throat.

Overall a great beer, I wish the trappistes rocheforts went up to 11, that would be cool.

Murchmac, Aug 04, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

I didn't like belgians, until this one.

This baby pours, literally, diarrhea brown. no seriously, it looks like the toilet water after a night of WAAAY too many beers. however, once you get that image out of your mind, the look is not all that bad, and a nice foamy tan head graces the top. the smell is wonderful: burnt brown sugar, candy/fruit sweetness.

The flavor really is great. apple-cideresque with hints of other, darker fruits and a sugary sweetness. burnt maltiness in the finish that leaves you reaching for another sip. the belgian yeast blends nicely with these flavors and doesn't overwhelm them as it does, in my opinion, with so many other belgians.

full-bodied and smooth on the palate with truly wonderful drinkability.

jdklks, Aug 03, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into a chalice. A fair amount of sediment. I left a good bit in the bottle, but there was still some sediment that got into the glass.

A: Dark brown and thick. Almond colored head, that dissipated fairly slowly leaving some lacing.

S: Dark fruits, red wine, some ethanol, and a hint of hop spiciness.

T: Dark malty flavor, a hint of date like sweetness, some biscuit flavor and a dry finish. From time to time you can strongly taste the alcohol, but overall very good.

M: Medium to thick body, well carbonated. Very pleasent combination on the tongue.

A very enjoyable beer, the amount of alcohol and the complexity make it good for sipping.

jkc88, Jul 31, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Best before 14 January 2014 (so I guess it's bottled about seven months ago).

A: Pours a dark, mahogany brown liquid. The head is cream coloured, and perhaps two fingers high.

S: Very complex. Dried fruits, candy, burnt sugar, alcohol. Actually it reminds me of Rumtopf.

T: Follows the smell. Sweet, but not overwhelmingly. Also some moderate bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: Nice. Quite a lot of CO2 (trappistes usually have) and not as sticky as Belgian beers could get.

D: Very, but I am going to put a couple of bottles in the celler. They should probably develop even more complexity.

Scriba, Jul 30, 2009
4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

330 ml bottle split into a pint glass and a snifter.

A - Huge four-finger head that recedes slowly to about a quarter-inch cap, fluffy lacing leaving nice rings down the glass.

S - Plenty of toasty fruit -- berries, cherries, and melon. Maybe a hint of burnt sugar and some breadiness.

T - Wow, lots of fruit here. Blueberries, raspberries, black cherries, and caramel. Outstanding flavor, and I can't say that I notice the alcohol one bit, which is an achievement considering the ABV.

M - Silky smooth, carbonation is just right, and the finish is long and pleasant.

D - Well, I'm pretty warm after the first one. I really want to open the second, but... ok, maybe I'll wait. The more time goes by the more I realize that the ABV is taking hold and is probably the only reason that I won't be having more today.

Overall -- wow, this is one helluva good beer. If it wasn't so expensive and it wasn't quite so hard to find, I'd be drinking this a lot more often.

djmichaelk, Jul 30, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -30.2%

I feel bad not giving this beer a high review, but honeslty it's not my impressions of a quad and a different style of review should show my thoughts...

A very malty, under-carbonated beer for the belgian style. I do like the alcohol taste in a quad which was apparent. The euro barley was also there along with the european hop addition. I did like the yeast sediment like a homebrew and which that more beers should show their background every once in a while. It just tasted like a double wiezenbock. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be.

KCHopHead, Jul 29, 2009