Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 7,976 | Reviews: 2,649
4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

Single bottle (date stamp is 280415 - whatever that means) poured into a Rochefort chalice

Appearance: Slow pour to keep the sediment in (which didn't quite work) yielded a dark brown mostly translucent beer. Thin persistent off white skin of foam across the top with gaps (didn't go all the way across) and thin ring at the edge as well. Can just make out small bubbles coming up slowly through the glass at the edges. Sadly no lacing to speak of.

Smell: Rich malty sweetness with a solid hint of phenol, but it's muted and blended with all the malt so not overpowering. I've smelled phenol in the lab before (I'm a chemist) and it is NOT a pleasant smell - it's medicinal and powerful moldy at the same time. This is different - I can smell that phenol, but it's blended with a nice sweet smell and maybe some sort of candied fruit. Interesting and appealing.

Taste: Rich and sweet maltness here - syrupy in a good way. A little bit buttery toffee thrown in as well. Alcohol is very well hidden - I'm not detecting it at all. Very tasty beer.

Mouthfeel: Quick prickly carbonation on the tongue, then gone, leaving a chewy and smooth beer.

Overall / Drinkability: I think I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think the famous Rochefort chalice is the wrong glass for this beer. I think I would capture more of the smells and tastes if this was in a tulip and next time that's what I'll use. Overall a very malt forward beer, but not cloying, and a very interesting to sip and savor. Despite the higher alcohol I did not notice it until the end of the glass, but by then the alcohol was warming and even then I was pleasantly sated - no need for a second glass. Really a great beer and worth getting again, but for special occasions. This is not a beer for every night.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

330mL bottle poured into my Stone Old Guardian Barleywine goblet.

Pours a deep, dark brown, close to black and nearly opaque. Fizzy light brown head that dissipates after a short time. Lacing is there, but not incredibly sticky.

Dark fruits, brown sugar, hints of herbal qualities.

Big, plum-fig malty character with some elements of spice. Alcohol content is evident, but I wouldn't call this one boozy. Warming, though. Elements of spicy Belgian yeast. Caramelized or brown sugar notes throughout. A flash every now and then of anise.

Medium to full-bodied with a soft mouthfeel.

This is the fullest-bodied, darkest and richest of the Rochefort family. Another solid offering from a solid lineup.

4.33/5  rDev -4%

Served in a wine glass at 50F. Aroma of...grape? An extremely rich, but at the same time sharp, quickly-curtailed injection of rich plum/fig/raisin/prune dark fruits. Some aggressively sugary Chimay-like Belgian esters follow, and perhaps a hint of hops. Might go really well with some brie. I think among aggressively fruity dark ales, I may almost prefer Bell's Batch 9000.

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Pours an extremely dark mahogany; almost black with 1 1/2 fingers of fluffy head that dissipates very slow. Excellent lacing.

N: Ripe dark fruit, concord grape and Belgian candy sugar.

T: Black licorice, ripe plum, fig, raisin, dark Belgian candy sugar and hints of bubblegum and banana followed by some floral and citrus hops in the finish.

M: Medium bodied, V\very warming and creamy mouth feel without any booziness whatsoever.

O: Weighing in at 11.3% this beer is absolutely phenomenal! Alcohol goes undetected. A+++

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

Cracked a bottle of this wonderful beer open to celebrate the end of classes this week. I discovered a wonderful murky brown beer hidden under the plain label as I poured this legend into my customary snifter. My nose was welcomed by a chocolate raisin aroma that reminded me of oak and dark fruits.
The lace played on the sides of the glass as I sipped the chocolate and malty mystery. The taste was beyond words as hints of dark fruit, cherries, rum and chocolate played on my tongue while the I was warmed by the 11.3 % alcohol.

This was a world class beer that just took the words right out of my mouth, I will seek its splendor the rest of my days.

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%

Just got done with all my college classes and decided to crack something special for me, cute right?

Pours a nice murky chestnut brown that just looks Belgian to me ha. Head is just chillin there, not going away - very nice. Aroma is dark fruit and warming alcohol. Now the taste: first sip blew me away. The warming alcohol and rich fruitiness was like nothing I've tasted. Very creamy and coats the mouth.

But enough of this Belgian BS, I'm switching to Coronas! Hahaaa happy Cinco de Mayo!

4.6/5  rDev +2%

A- Deep, deep garnet, with a one and a half finger head, manila folder colored. Copious amounts of lacing,
S- Smell is a blast, deep rum and lots of dark fruits. Rich maltyness. A touch spicy as well. Complex, deep and powerful.
T- Starts with a powerful malty flavor and some phenols show up as well. The initial thought was black cherry and rum. There is a bit of clove in there as well. Very sweet throughout and there is a certain leatheryness in the finish as well.
Excessively boozy finish that is a bit hard to deal with. There is a certain butterscotchy flavor as well.
M- Thick and super syrupy, which was nice, but in the finish the alcohol just absolutely overwhelms everything.
O- The alcohol is a kick in the mouth, but the flavors, aroma, and appearance of the beer are magnificent and if that doesn't make it a good beer I don't know what does.

4.56/5  rDev +1.1%

Rochefort 10 is a magnificent beer: delcious and very drinkable. One of the worlds best. Good work Brasserie de Rochefort!

A: Very dark brown colour and huge 2 cm head that lasts a long time. This is an amazing looking beer, especially considering the ABV. 5

S: The smell is very yeasty with hints of toasty caramel. There is the tinciest hint of funkiness, like slightly rancid butter. 4.0

T: Taste is sweet with notes of raisins. The the roasty malt flavour is always present. The finish is buttery with a hint of alcohol. This is a delicious and surprisingly subtle beer. 4.5

M: Foamy and surprising light. 5

O: This is an amazing beer: delicious and very drinkable. 5

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally rating this lovely specimen

App: Deep murky brown in color...quick head forms (1" in height) tan and settles to a fizzled top

Aroma: pleasant caramels...sweet figs....earthy hops....nice but not over the top

Taste: This is the bes part...chewy fig...dates...toffee notes...slight booze but masked very well....bready backbone...hints of bourbon in the aftertaste...quiet complex...

Mouthfee: beautifully smooth....creamy...lovely

Overall: Just as good as westy in my opinion...much more accessible of course!...cheers ( I need a case I think)

3.79/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Sour fruits comes first to mind. taste more like a sour than a quadruple. not what i had expected at all. dark and an overall disappointment for an A ranked beer. Probably will only get the 8 from now on.
not as much head as compared to the other two.

4.27/5  rDev -5.3%

Served in a chalice

A: Pours thick, forming a lovely opaque dark coffee brown with a small but stable head. Plenty of sediment left in the bottle.

S: Much like the last beer I sampled from Rochefort, the aroma hit me as soon as I opened the bottle. Initially, I get molasses, along with dark cherries and - dare I say a hint of nutmeg? Wonderfully complex, the smell is a treat in itself.

T: SWEET. This has got to be the most sugary of the Belgian beers I've tried yet. The smell speaks for the taste almost perfectly - molasses, cherries, red wine, and a bit of spice. I would also add a dryer malty character towards the middle - reminiscient of dark grains, maybe pumpernickel. But honestly, with every sip, I seem to taste something different. At an impressive 11.3%, I can barely taste any alchohol.

M: Thick and slightly syrupy, very little carbonation. Doesn't get in the way of the flavor.

O: I was initially a little thrown off by the sweetness of it, but unlike other similar beers, once I got used to the flavor a bit, I had to stop myself from gulping it down. It may just be that I'm slowly learning to appreciate the style a little more after having the chance to try a few other trappist beers. In any case, the sheer complexity of the flavor is astounding. Highly reccomended!

4.44/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a dark brown with a very small tan head. Very minimal retention and lace.

Nose is a malty mix of caramel soaked dark bread, raisins, prunes, plum skin and chocolate. Bigtime yeasty anise note too.

Palate is thick and full-bodied, with big alcohol balanced by a big caramelly, brown sugar sweetness- more notes of prune with a slight dusting of coffee. The alcohol is big enough to seem unnoticeable after just a few sips as your whole body becomes enveloped in a warm glove of awesome. Hops are there but modest by comparison. There's also some subtle underlying phenolic plastic flavor. Finish is long and incredibly smooth.

Overall, one of the best. It must be good for me to like a beer made in one of my least favorite styles. Its complexity and balanced sweetness make it a very delicious brew.

4.52/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Dark brown and syrupy-looking. I got a bit of a light brown head on the pour but it died pretty quickly.

S: At first, I wasn't that impressed by the smell. However, as I let it open up a bit, the intensity of the smell grew. I'm getting brown sugar, tootsie roll, raisin and a hint of banana.

T: Very sweet and a bit hot on the finish. I'm getting some raisin and dark fruit and a lot of malty sweetness along with the thinnest hint of coffee on the finish. It leaves a drying and warming feeling on your tongue that tells you the alcohol is there. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy and not too syrupy, even as it warms.

4.62/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 vintage, purchased 11/2010; opened 4/2011.

A: Rich, dark brown with a very thin line of lace.

S: Brown sugar, damp boxwood, leather, cocoa, vanilla, hot alcohol.

T: Chocolate, biscuit malt, allspice, mace, brandy

M: Lots of "scrubbing bubbles," spritz, nice oily coat, a bit sweet

O: A bit sweet throughout. Very rich. I wager this could successfully sit in the cellar at least another year or two and only get better. Very hot, which detracts from its otherwise atractability. Good with chocolate ice cream. I bet it would also be a winner with roasted almonds or cashews. Or, a nice carbonnade, or venison (or lamb) with cherry sauce.
Don't drink it too cold or too quickly!
Not as polished a Quad as the Westy 12, but then again I've only had the Westy when cellared for twice as long as this one.

4.24/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2 fl oz poured into cervoise.

A - Pours a dark brown with purplish amber edging. Very little head or lacing

S - Deep dark fruits, belgian yeast, bready, vanilla, pepper

T - Plums, currants, cherries and a hint of lemon. Bready biscuity malts with distinct caramel and toffee sweetness. Typical biting belgian yeast. Very good

M - Silky, robust, semi hot

O - A great beer. Definitely would recommend that you let it warm up before trying it. The layers of flavours were more distinct once it warmed about 50 F. Next time I'll probably just drink it a room temperature. Great beer!

4.64/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2 fl oz bottle poured into Chimay chalice.

A word of advice: this beer improves immensely as it warms, and is best served at 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

A: Pours a dark brown with mahogany highlights. Small, creamy tan head with nice retention. No lacing on the glass.

S: Brown sugar and raisins knock you over the head. Smells very sweet and malty; almost like a barleywine.

T: Taste is of elderberry, spicy Belgian yeast and brown bread, with a nice, round dark fruit profile throughout. Finishes with strong toffee, caramel and heat from the alcohol. Truly a massive quad.

M: Creamy, with medium-light carbonation. Like silk on the tongue.

O: There's a cloying sweetness from start to finish here, which - although typical and expected - makes it difficult to drink a bottle of this in under an hour (not to mention its 11.3% ABV). That said, Trappistes Rochefort 10 is truly one of the best beers on the planet, and its regular availability makes it quite accessible (although a rare treat at $6.99 for an 11.2 oz bottle). Fans of St. Bernardus Abt. 12 and similar brews will surely find something to love in this.

A world-class quad.

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

This beer enjoyed at the Abner pub in Norman, OK in a chalice glass. The beer pours a dark reddish brown with a finger of off white foamy head that laces and retains very well. The aroma is strong with figs and caramel sweetness. The taste has some hints of grapes, figs, caramel and spices and finishes clean. The mouthfeel is nice and velvety with a good balance of carbonation. Overall a great Belgian ale.

4.82/5  rDev +6.9%

I was over eager when I opened the 330 ml bottle. I poured and sipped immediately right from the fridge (about 39 degrees F), After realizing that was not the thing to do I let it warm to about 49 to 50 F. WOW!!! Poured a dark brownish red with a very nice head that left quickly but left a nice lace on the top. Smelled wonderfully of dried fruits and toasted malts, yum. The the warmer taste was everything the aroma promised and MORE!slight hints of alcohol well covered and balanced with the fruits and carmel notes. Felt med. thick and creamy leving the taste of this ale in the mouth until it was rinsed out with water. WoW can't say enough good things about this except try it.

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Poured a dark mahogany with a finger of head that quickly died leaving a respectable skim.

S: Lots of dark fruit, plums, dates. Some yeastiness.

T: Very mellow coming on with strong malt and dark cherry and date flavors. More yeast at the end. The sweetness is not sugary its comes across more natural. The alcohol was well hidden but came through the taste with some sharp zinging in the mid swig and short burn afterwards.

M: Thick and full on the syrupy side but not. Minimal carbonation.

O: I dont know what to say, it was good with flavors of dark fruit and strong malt. Incredibly smooth especially for the booze. Not sure I can fully appreciate this beer so I will have to work on my palate.

4.21/5  rDev -6.7%

Bottle (2010)

Holiday Wine Cellar
Escondido, CA

A dark brown with ruby edges. Looks thick and relatively heavy in pour and glass. Big foaming tan head that sticks around and eventually leaves messy and sticky splatterings of lace down the glass. Really incredible looking beer!

The aroma is a divine cornucopia of dark fruits. The aromas of figs, raisins, and cherries are predominant. Something about this beer smells heavy and substantial, although I know those aren't typically words associated with aromas. It has a sweet and powerful aroma. While delicious, it doesn't possess quite the complexity or nuance I love about my favorite quads.

The taste is similar to the nose. There's plenty of dark fruits along with some bitterness and an alcohol flavor akin to brandy. Smooth and easy to drink, even balanced, although this beer is thick, rich, and highly alcoholic.

Thick and rich mouthfeel with a touch of chew. A bit of alcohol warmth but at this ABV magnitude, that's a welcome addition.

A very, very good beer. I'm interested to see what a few more years in the cellar will do to this one. As it stands relatively fresh, it's a thick, rich, and delicious quad, though not quite as complex and interesting as some others.

Wow just abosolutley wow. This beer needs its own category. The smell is full and smells of caramel. The taste is something that lingers but not in a bad way. Each sip is better than the last. This beer actually made me contemplate joining a monestary. Find one and cherrish every sip for if it was your last you can die a happy man.

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%

I've heard a lot about this beer, so I figured I had to try it. Here's what I found.

A - A deep, rich brown. Even darker than I was expecting. There are faint reddish hues as well, with a very light head.

S - Mild aromas of nutty sweetness. Very appealing. The alcohol presence is very strong here.

T - An incredibly full-bodied experience here. A tinge of alcohol at first (which lingers throughout), touched with a hint of yeasty phenols, then finished off with some hazelnut/carmel aftershocks. The perfect definition of a Quad: it has an in-your-face grouping of flavors, but it all is done in a very mellow fashion. It's not harsh or overwhelming. Very nice, except for the balance: I feel that the alcohol presence is a bit overdone. It doesn't allow the other subtleties that make it great to come out. I know it's odd to be saying that with a 22 proof beer, but I think the 11.3% could have been more effectively blended.

M - A tongue-numbing experience, that's for sure. Surprisingly bubbly, yet smooth. The alcohol warms on the way down and numbs the tongue.

O - To be honest, I was a bit disappointed after all I had heard about this brew. It's a great example of a well-done Quad, but I don't think I'd be very keen on drinking it alone. As a dinner beer, perfect.

Photo of

I ordered this at Le Cirio in Brussels. Ruby-brown with a dense off-white head. Aromas of figs, cocoa, and herbal tea. Very full-bodied and creamy mouthfeel with an almost honey-like texture. Flavour is dark caramel-sweet with peppery spice upfront, followed by more figs, molasses, and a deep bready undercurrent. Complex and port-like but not overpowering. Westvletern 12 is reputed to be the best beer in the world in this style, but I think that reputation is likely enhanced by its rarity; I prefer Rochefort 10.

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

330ml bottle poured into a Chimay glass

A: Light brown with red highlights that you can almost start to see through. Not much head (thin, wispy) but there is a ton of carbonation funneling up the middle of the glass

S: Lots of dark fruit (raisin, fig) and bread malt. Some spiciness, presumably from the yeast. Hard to detect but I pick up some chocolate and maybe anise. Definitely no sign of alcohol

T: All the elements from the nose combine to make a wonderfully complex beer. Starts with a good dark fruit flavor that gently blends with some chocolate and brown sugar. A light spice and yeast component finishes it off

M: Full bodied yet the carbonation still is very present. Sweet dark fruit lingers on the palate ever so briefly after each sip

D: A wonderful quad. I had this before but didn't remember just how great of a beer it was. I understand why people hold this on par with Westy 12

4.57/5  rDev +1.3%

This is my first review in a while, figured I would make it something good.

Poured from the bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: At first glance this beer is darker then what I remember Westvleteren looked like. Definitely not opaque, if held up to the light it is red around the edges. There is a small layer of white head, but that fades to a nice lacing.

Smell: Lots of dark fruits, figs, raisins, malty goodness, and a touch of alcohol.

Taste: Lingering taste of figs and plums, with a nice sweetness derived from maltiness of this beer. There is a little more of an alcohol warming effect from this beer then from other trappist quads I have tried in the past, but it is a pleasant warming feeling, more inviting then anything.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation dances on your tongue, which is surprising from a beer that is this high in alcohol. It is still relatively light feeling, but still a sipper for sure.

Overall: I would highly recommend this beer. It's a world class example of the style and I'm sad that I will not be able to find them in Texas anymore. Worth seeking out if you can.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort