Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured into a goblet for a small tan head resting on top of a dark brown body. Caramelized malt and sugar on top of yeast and orange/dark fruits all hit my nose. Great smooth and creaminess tucked into a medium body. There is a sweetness to this beer from caramel and sugary candy flavors as well as a smoothness derived from something like oak/wood which is noticeable on back end. Balanced w/ fruit flavors like orange and some figs, there is a light herbal and spicy hop presence in the back which leads to a balanced beer with a little bit of a dry kick. The ABV complements the backend as well but by no means overpowers the beer whatsoever. This is a great beer to sip on, especially after a meal.

clayrock81, Aug 12, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

Deep hazelnut brown color with a dark read hue. Nice large head that laces down the glass.

Apricot, raisins, dark fruits, all followed by a sweet nuttiness and enveloped in a nice subtle spice.

Sweet citrus hits first but only for a second quickly the apricot and honey flavors next sip brings more dark fruits and brown sugar. Nice peppery bite from the alcohol, its not very hidden, but its very appropriate.

The heavy carbonation pairs well with the thick malty body and equally high alcohol. I have one aging in the cellar can't wait to see what a couple of years do to this bad boy.

bfields4, Aug 11, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

I had really high hopes for this beer, thanks to both its BA standing and it's $7+ price tag. Enjoyed in a tulip.

A: a great big head erupts out of my tulip. It's beige, frothy, and gorgeous over my ruby red and mahogany ale. Incredible retention and wonderful lacing. There's not a thing about the appearance that could be improved.
S: massive aromas out of the pour. Fruits like figs and berries, dark spices, and candied sugar. Heavy on malts with some hot alcohol in the back. Also peppery and is that a hint of banana?
T: wow. More complexity here than I have the palate for! Huge sweet malts are so present with dark fruits and berries gracing my palate with their presence. Spiciness tickles my tongue. I get very subtle hints of coffee but they come and go so quickly. Anise is light but surely present, as is a thin caramel-like flavor. There's probably a better way to describe it, but all I can think of "flavor of candy you want to suck on all day." Stone fruits get stronger with warmth. The alcohol is there, but it in passing for now. One more note here is the oak/wood. This is a flavor that is an anchor for all other flavors that combine to make this sublime beer. Apples pull through with even more warmth. I am floored. This is truly brilliant.
M: medium body and carbonation. Sweet residuals coat my palate and even dry it a bit.
D: though it's a sipper, I'd drink it before the alcohol rears its head. I'd love to try this with 2 years on it!

washburnkid, Aug 10, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Picked this up at Joe Canal's in Lawrenceville, NJ for about $6.XX

A: Pours a deep, rich cloudy, unfiltered mahogany color that produces a MASSIVE rocky, fluffy, billowy off-white color. Truly a thing of beauty. Retention is perfect - the foam remains the entire time. Tons of yeast chunks at the end of the glass. Simply amazing.

S: Yeasty at first, but as it warms up, tons of different fruits come out. Very complex, and as it warms, it only gets deeper and deeper. Alcohol IS a little upfront when it warms, but not distracting. Bubblegum. Raisins, plums, apricot, and a few other dark fruits that I still cannot identify. Pears and slight banana as well. (I'm reviewing as we speak so I've been finding things as I go here).

T: Fruity and complex. Warming alcohol is present, yet at the same time pretty well hidden. More plum, raisin, and apricot...very mellow yet powerful fruits provide a low key flavor profile, but the sheer complexity of this brew is absolutely mind blowing. Also, I'm getting some woody notes, as well as some nutty flavors. The yeast also adds a unique Belgian aspect; esters, bubblegum, and spearmint

MF/D: Nice and chewy for a quad. Rich flavors provide a long, pruney/plumy finish. Truly chewy. Very clean and crisp.

Notes: I much prefer this brew to the Westvleteren 12, and perhaps the best beer I have sampled to date. People say that the US makes the best beer, but try to touch the Belgian's ability to create this velvet mouthfeel and play with the yeasts like this. That alone is proof that the Belgian's still have some things on lock.

scottyshades, Aug 10, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

Thick black and opaque. A caramel rich head with bubbles appearing from the depths of its abyss. No sediment in the bottle at all.

A smell rich with flavor and complex malts. Fruit sents of grapes and pears.

Taste is strong and very malty. It would do well to age this beer for a few years. There are many wonderful flavors swirling across my pallet with purple colors flooding my mind.

With a sudden presence of wine a sharp fizz pulls its deadening rush of nerves across my mouth. After a few sips I am now used to the rush and rather enjoyed those first sips of the beer taking over my mouth's sense of feeling.

Superbly drinkable, but with cellar age under its belt this beer could do wonders.

Cheers,
Jordan.

JordanEllwanger, Aug 09, 2009
4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle into an Oerbier chalice

Pours a deep mahogany color with red highlights. A thin off white head caps the beer

Loads of dark fruit - raisins,plum, a bit of apple. Sweet, spicy, bready. Exciting.

Sugarysweet, the raisin is strong, a bit of cherry. The spicy notes come through next, pepper, clove. The maltiness is there too, not heavily roasted, T: Candy sugar sweetness up front mixing with boozy dark fruit - rum raisin, some black cherry too. Maybe its my palate, but I also think I taste a touch of citrus - some pineapple? Wouldn't be surprised if that ester arises from the Belgian yeast. Sweetness offset at first by some herbal spiciness - fresh pepper, cinnambut bready and rich. The alcohol is quite contained.

Oily, sticky, pleasant. Carbonation is strong -small bubbles, nice and tingly.

A booming Quad, fantastic, complex, deep and enjoyable. Highly recommended. Would love to drink this on a cool fall day, one after another.

mhatters, Aug 09, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

P: Begian dark bottle with fanilar purchased at World of Beers in Clearwater Florida.

A: Dark, nice head with lots of sedimant!!!

S: Sweet and herbal.somewhat medicinal.

T: Very pepery, smooth and warming. Absoulutey incredible!!! The 11.3% abv is not obvious and I could drink this all day long.

M: creamey, silky smooth and warm. An absolute sublime experence. Why can't all beers be like this?

Drinkabilty & Notes: As good as I can imagine and better than I expected. I have yet to try Westy but this was the best I have ever had. 10 times better than Rochefort 8. Get all you can if you find it!!!

grdahl, Aug 08, 2009
4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

Lousy day at work, time to splurge and write my first review.

I could smell the beer beer as soon as I poured it. Nice strong Belgian scent. Hey, what are these chunks of blackened yeast? you go in too.

Kind of alcoholic at first, not too impressed...really starts to show up about 4 sips in, maybe I let it get to cold, maybe I just needed to get used to the alcohol. This is a sipper here. Tasty as hell, a little sweet, a little yeasty, a lot of other deliscousness that I can't describe.

I held off buying this for a while due to the price, but it's worth it. I've been working on this for 40 minutes now as I write this. I've got one sip left. That's got some staying power. I'd drink another if I had it, probably should not have bought this, cause now I know it's gonna become a rare/regular (the beer you pull out when it's been a lousy or special day, loosely defined so that each week will have at least one such day to ensure maximum beer exposure)

Late not: Apparently there were 2 sips left, this really a slow drinking beer.

BeerCoffeeWater, Aug 08, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Rochefort 10 pours a deep ruby in a sniffer glass. The aroma of ripe figs, raisins, dark fruit and slight dark chocolate leads to a great finish. Nice and dry; exceptionally not overwhelming for the taste buds.

For the novice: Expect a flood of ripeness, but the body is surprising light. Yet again, this is a sipping brew. Best bet is simply enjoying it alone at first.

Personally: This is one of my personal cherished beers. I like to have a bottle every year to age for the next holiday season. Rochefort 10 is a testament to the excellence and taste supremacy of Belgian beers.

WCBCFrank, Aug 07, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -23.5%

Near black four with a school of floaties racing around the glass. 3 fingers of fluffy head that camps out and leaves thick lacing down the side of the glass. Would be an easy 5 if it didn't look like someone dumped sawdust in my beer. Smell is sweet dark fruits, rubbing alcohol, grape juice. A little hot but still nice.

The first time I drank this beer I had only been into craft beer for a month or two. I remember thinking it was WAAYY too hot and I didn't like it really at all. It will be interesting to see how I feel about it now....

...ok, taking my first sip the alcohol heat is not nearly as bad as I remember it. There is still a slight burn, but at 11% I think I will give it a pass. The flavors underneath the alcohol are nice, but not really mind blowing. A bit of raisin and fig, some woodiness....and after a few more sips the alcohol is starting to get really annoying. It is not overwhelming but it makes up far too much of the flavor profile and hides the good stuff. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, drinkability suffers greatly from the booziness.

It is often stated that this beer is equal or superior to Westy 12 but I don't agree with that one bit. In fact, I would go so far as to say it shouldn't be even be mentioned in the same sentence as St. Bernardus 12 or Pannepot. I'm not trying to trash it because it surely is a high quality beer, but it is not world class according to my palate.

alcstradamus, Aug 07, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

served in a Rochefort goblet.

A-- dark, dark brown with a tan head. Head was 1 inch and quickly faded. Good amount of carbonation with the beer. Was amazed by how dark the beer was. Made me salivate in excitement.

S-- Burnt sugar, figs, vanilla, and alcohol. Lots of alcohol. The more it warmed the more apparent the alcohol became.

T-- candied sugar and alcohol. Well carbonated but I said several times in lunch that this was so not what I expected and was just tasting the alcohol

M-- Overly sweet and too much alcohol. There was such a burn with this it was just hard to drink. The warmer it got th worse the burn was. Too heavy for me I think.

D-- One was enough.

I will be honest as I have sat on these notes for 3 weeks now. I feel guilty for even writing this. So many good reviews and I just flat out was unhappy with this beer. ABV was too high for me I think. I will try the 8 and try this again. It may not be a beer that just suits me and that I get. I got too much alcohol and it was a total turn off to me.

mulder1010, Aug 05, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into a Koningshoven goblet.

A: An opaque dark brown with a thin layer of white foam.

S: Chocolate, figs, sugar, raisins, and vanilla.

T: Chocolate, figs, and raisins with a nice sweet finish.

M: Good body, a bit of fizz, dry.

D: Wonderful beer. I'm not normally a big fan of Quads, but I am doing my best to try all of the Trappist ales, and this is one that has definitely lived up to the billing.

womencantsail, Aug 05, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a cloudy brown with some reddish highlights and cream head. As my main men from Texas, ZZ top sings, "She's got Legs, she knows how to use them"

Smells of port, brandy, raisins, some caramel action. Like deglazing a pan of raisinets with a 10 year old tawny port wine.

Tastes of dark sugars, figs, raisins, heavy and sticky. Use your imagination for heavy and sticky, some things can't be untyped.

The only bit of alcohol you detect is that creeping, lingering warmth that runs down your throat.

Overall a great beer, I wish the trappistes rocheforts went up to 11, that would be cool.

Murchmac, Aug 04, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

I didn't like belgians, until this one.

This baby pours, literally, diarrhea brown. no seriously, it looks like the toilet water after a night of WAAAY too many beers. however, once you get that image out of your mind, the look is not all that bad, and a nice foamy tan head graces the top. the smell is wonderful: burnt brown sugar, candy/fruit sweetness.

The flavor really is great. apple-cideresque with hints of other, darker fruits and a sugary sweetness. burnt maltiness in the finish that leaves you reaching for another sip. the belgian yeast blends nicely with these flavors and doesn't overwhelm them as it does, in my opinion, with so many other belgians.

full-bodied and smooth on the palate with truly wonderful drinkability.

jdklks, Aug 03, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into a chalice. A fair amount of sediment. I left a good bit in the bottle, but there was still some sediment that got into the glass.

A: Dark brown and thick. Almond colored head, that dissipated fairly slowly leaving some lacing.

S: Dark fruits, red wine, some ethanol, and a hint of hop spiciness.

T: Dark malty flavor, a hint of date like sweetness, some biscuit flavor and a dry finish. From time to time you can strongly taste the alcohol, but overall very good.

M: Medium to thick body, well carbonated. Very pleasent combination on the tongue.

A very enjoyable beer, the amount of alcohol and the complexity make it good for sipping.

jkc88, Jul 31, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Best before 14 January 2014 (so I guess it's bottled about seven months ago).

A: Pours a dark, mahogany brown liquid. The head is cream coloured, and perhaps two fingers high.

S: Very complex. Dried fruits, candy, burnt sugar, alcohol. Actually it reminds me of Rumtopf.

T: Follows the smell. Sweet, but not overwhelmingly. Also some moderate bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: Nice. Quite a lot of CO2 (trappistes usually have) and not as sticky as Belgian beers could get.

D: Very, but I am going to put a couple of bottles in the celler. They should probably develop even more complexity.

Scriba, Jul 30, 2009
4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

330 ml bottle split into a pint glass and a snifter.

A - Huge four-finger head that recedes slowly to about a quarter-inch cap, fluffy lacing leaving nice rings down the glass.

S - Plenty of toasty fruit -- berries, cherries, and melon. Maybe a hint of burnt sugar and some breadiness.

T - Wow, lots of fruit here. Blueberries, raspberries, black cherries, and caramel. Outstanding flavor, and I can't say that I notice the alcohol one bit, which is an achievement considering the ABV.

M - Silky smooth, carbonation is just right, and the finish is long and pleasant.

D - Well, I'm pretty warm after the first one. I really want to open the second, but... ok, maybe I'll wait. The more time goes by the more I realize that the ABV is taking hold and is probably the only reason that I won't be having more today.

Overall -- wow, this is one helluva good beer. If it wasn't so expensive and it wasn't quite so hard to find, I'd be drinking this a lot more often.

djmichaelk, Jul 30, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -30.2%

I feel bad not giving this beer a high review, but honeslty it's not my impressions of a quad and a different style of review should show my thoughts...

A very malty, under-carbonated beer for the belgian style. I do like the alcohol taste in a quad which was apparent. The euro barley was also there along with the european hop addition. I did like the yeast sediment like a homebrew and which that more beers should show their background every once in a while. It just tasted like a double wiezenbock. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be.

KCHopHead, Jul 29, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours an almost purple colour, red-brown but dark, with very nice burnt sienna-hued head and very good retention, made of small but visible bubbles. Lacing is sticky and delightful, seems to have some hazy in the glass as well. What a pile of deliciousness.

Nose is sweet and delectable, with a large berry hit - raspberry, blueberry and strawberry with a slight tang to it, and a mild hit of bitter from some slightly resiny hops. Rich and dark, but still very sweet overall, pleasant aroma indeed.

Taste is dark and brooding, with a raisiny syrupy sweetness coming to the fore with hints of figs and red grape skin. Has a slightly ashy bitterness towards the back, quite phenolic (in fact a lot of phenols throughout) with a noticeable tickle of alcohol that gives it a whisky character which is by no means a bad thing. Potent phenolic finish with a lovely warming sensation to cap off a sweet but brooding front palate.

Mouthfeel is nicely full, definitely slightly burning towards the back but I just like it, and it leaves very cleanly with a nice, lightly bitter finish. Overall it's not overwhelmingly drinkable because of that alcomohol but enjoyable as a good scotch and nicely Belgian in complexity.

laituegonflable, Jul 29, 2009
4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a thick and viscous strawberry-jam brown, with a thick and heavy head of whitish-brown foam. Speckled with floaties in the glass, that stay heavy and suspended. Looks pretty damn wonderful.

Rich, musty aromas on the nose, not unlike an attic filled with abandoned, outdated chocolate bars. Sweetness, and a light acidity or oakiness peeking through. Even some dark acidic fruitiness perhaps, like cherries or tamarillo. Yum.

Taste is smooth, rich and complex. Not particularly sweet, like the nose might have suggested. Here, we get some dark aromatic, boozy characters, slightly rough around the edges, but brooding and rebellious. Certainly a kick of alcohol to this, and the complex amalgam of booze, light acidity, deep roasted sweetness and the silky feel make this an almost overwhelming experience. Yee ha! What a great beer.

A very, very pleasant and very, very drinkable beer, especially considering its ABV. Very slick, very complex, and amazingly enjoyable. Thankyou laituegonflable for slapping me in the face with this one!

lacqueredmouse, Jul 28, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

Small 11.2 bottle with a basic looking light tan colored label. In the middle of this label is a white 10 in a blue oval. Directly to the left of the 10 is some kind of bin number. Whatever this number is, it has to use to the consumer. Along with the bin number is all the mandatory US information and the Trappist seal. In case you have a bottle with no label, you can also tell this is a 10 because of the white 10 on the purple cap.

Appearance: A Trappist beer deserves a special glass, so I poured this Belgian beer into my long stemmed Kasteel Chalise. I've seen strong murky beers before, but this one takes the murky cake. This beer was so damn murky that it looked to pour a faint black color, but after holding this beer into the light for quite some time, I found out that it was more of a murky chestnut brown color. It was one of those tricky appearances. It makes you think it's one color, but when you inspect it a little more, Bam! It's a whole new color. Sitting patiently on top of this beer was a thick foamy head of foam. This head of foam was at least 1 inch in height and off white in color. It had kick ass retention that left behind an ever lasting skim of foam and quite a few blots and streaks of lace. As you can tell from my score, I absolutely loved the color, the murkyness, and even the head of foam.

Smell: As soon as I popped off the cap, I received a strong whiff of raisins and unrestricted alcohol. When it was poured into the Chalise, those aromas were still there, but they calmed down a bit. The aroma of 10 was dry with raisins, plums, a fig or two, a tiny speck of roasted malts, alcohol, and then this aroma finishes up with a subtle whiff of Belgian candi sugar. It was a nice dry aroma, but I would have liked it more if they pumped up the scent of sugar a bit. If you think this high ABV% beer is going to be sweet in the nose, you would be wrong.

Taste: This Trappist beer starts off with a few dark fruits like raisins, figs, and plums. Then like a 10 pound hammer slamming down on a 1 oz. nail, in comes the alcohol. This strong taste of alcohol lasts for a about a minute and then it rolls into a subtle dryness with the taste of dry roasted malts. I thought the taste was over and done, but then my tongue found a teeny tiny touch of Belgian candi sugar. I guess it could have been easier to just say that the taste mirrored the aroma, but where would be the fun in that?

Mouthfeel: When I read on the label that this beer had a 11.3% ABV, I originally thought that it was going to be a full bodied beer and all the alcohol was going to knock me on my ass after a few sips. That of course never happened. I found out that 10 was more of a medium bodied of beer, but the one thing I couldn't help but notice was the fact how well this beer masked its alcohol content. I could taste some of it in the taste, but I couldn't feel it. The aftertaste of 10 was on the dry side with the taste of dry roasted malts, alcohol, and dark fruits.

Drinkability: After drinking this beer, I could tell that they sunk more money into the beer then the label artwork. It's clearly not a cheap beer, but if you ever want to try well hidden high ABV% beer, then you should try a Rochefort 10. For me, I would like to give this beer another try.

AltBock, Jul 27, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -11.8%

11.2oz bottle poured into a chalice.

Very dark brown, almost opaque essentially no head. Somewhat boozy on the nose, lots of sweet malt, raisins and some old fruit.

Very bready, big thick mouthfeel. Really solid. An awesome big beer, the 11.3% is really well covered with all the malt and different flavors. One of the best quads I've ever had, the best of all 3 Rochefort beers.

kingcrowing, Jul 26, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

First time trying the 10, 1st beer of the day. Poured from 11.2oz bottle.

A- An agressive pour leaves a decent head in a wide-mouth snifter. Deep, dark mahogany in color.

S- Candied fruits, figs or dates come to mind. Red plum skin is there, as well as a faint alcoholic note. Very sweet, very inviting. Smells like a port.

T- Tart, tangy, not at all sweet. Incredible depth. OK, sweetness is there, just handled in a way I didn't expect. The alcohol is only known as a warming on the back of the mouth. Malts provide a wonderful body for this wonderful beer. I am amazed at the subtlety and complexity of this beer. I won't pretend to be able to fully describe this beer... although I can assure you it is awesome.

M- Fantastic. 5 of 5. Incredible depth. Drying, sweet but subtle, malty, rich, and delicious. I cannot say enough good things about this beer.

D- Moderate. 11.3% is up at the high end, but this beer earns points for being such a damn fine sippin' beer.

All in all, a lot more than the Rochefort 8. And I love the 8. This one steps everything I liked about the 8 up in a big way, while not overloading the tongue. What's amazing about this beer is how bold it is in mouthfeel, aroma, and character while providing a subduded sweetness. A true artisan beer and one I won't think twice about buying a boatload of.

ShogoKawada, Jul 25, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

A: Cola like black, creamy tan head. Not much lace.

S: Alcohol burn in the nose is the first thing you get, followed by sweet sugary malt, and raisan, dark cherry, figs.

T : I hate saying this, but follows nose. Add in sweet dates.

M: Dry, big alcohol burn in the back of the throat, which I like.

D: At 11% ABV, one is tough to finish. Certianlly a sipper. I am just getting into the Belgian's ( other than Wits) lately, and trying to learn about this style. So far, so good! I don't ever read reviews before reviewing, can't wait until I do to see what others have seen.

KI9A, Jul 25, 2009

I've had this beer many many times in the past but never thought to rate it. Bottle from liquor shop around the corner. Poured into a WestMalle glass. Pours an opaque dark brown colour, with lively carbonation and a nice lasting white head. The sediment doesn't fall to the bottom of the glass, but stays in there floating. Funny.

The scent is, like most quads, very complex. A bit like sour cherry, alcohol, spicy yeast, and above all, fruits.

The taste is very similar to the smell, but went above and beyond. Incredibly complex. Wow wow wow. What a beer. Roasted and caramel malts, chocolate, fruits (plums, raisins and maybe some citrus??), mildly spicy yeast and some tones of alcohol (surprisingly low for a beer with more than 11% alcohol content). The taste is similar to, but much less sweet that the St. Bernardus 12.

The mouthfeel is fantastic too. Rich and creamy, impressively balanced. Medium-high carbonation.

Overall, one of the best quads out there! It is important though to let the beer warm up a bit, so all the flavours are fully released!

rvdoorn, Jul 24, 2009