Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 7,965 | Reviews: 2,649
4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Pours a dark amber brown, with just a lace of head around the rim and a bit of carbonation, but with the high ABV, it's to be expected.

S: I'm getting a yeasty, bready, caramel, dark fruit smell going on. It smells like a...tart, jam filled doughnut, or something like it.

T: The initial taste is a very smooth sort of black currant, with the middle filling out a more raisin note, and the lingering taste is almost a dark berry or fig sort of note, but at the same time creamy and barleyish. It tastes *$&%in great.

M: It's very smooth and surprisingly fizzy for the ABV, and a bit filling.

O: Excellent. For guys that don't drink, these monks are doing an excellent job. I didn't even know about that a subtype of belgian ales called quadrupel existed, but I'm glad I discovered this.

I actually came to know of this one's existence through a guy on one of the forums I'm on, and he's always raving about a "Rocheforte 10" that he's drinking...and after looking into it, I got myself a bottle and here we are. Excellent brew.

A- pours a murky brown with lots of floating sediment throughout it. A good two finger tan colored head on top and fantastic lacing. Carbonation flows throughout the glass like champagne.

S- Belgian yeast and caramel malts all over the place. Has a sweet smell of dark fruits and raisins. Wish they made an air freshener of this smell. Absolutely perfect.

T- WOW!!! Dark fruits, sugars, caramels, it's all there. It's incredibly complex but at the same time so simple. Wonderful smooth finish. I could drink this down and never get tired of it.

M- Creamy medium to thick feeling. Smooth over the palate. You would think that all that sediment would be present but you can't even tell it's there. It just goes right down just as smooth.

D- I cannot get enough of this one. It is ranked as one of the most popular beer on this site for a reason. By far the best beer i have ever had.

4.05/5  rDev -10.2%

A: Pours murky brown with 3 fingers of beige head. Head recedes into a ring with decent lacing.

S: Strong buttery scent up front, which is odd. Underneath that are dark fruits like dates and plums and a Belgian yeasty aroma.

T: Again, there's that buttery flavor to it. Dark fruits follow along with some yeastiness. The finish has a decent alcohol burn to it as well.

M: Medium body and carbonation, this beer is nice and crisp, belying its gravity.

D: Very drinkable for such a big beer. I've had it before and don't remember the buttery aspect to it. Maybe this is just a much fresher bottle than my others. Overall, still a great beer.

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

Incredible and Inspirational. An amazing beer. Upon opening the nose was intense. I could smell the beer from 2 feet away. All Kind of dark fruits, sweet bananas, wood, alcohol available in the fine nose. A copper colored beer. pillowy head was incredible.

Then the best part...the first taste...wow...dark cherries, plums, apricots, bananas, prunes, raisins, all kinds of dark fruits, Caramel, and Toffee. There is NO ALCOHOL TASTE AT ALL... My wife who is not much of a beer fan loved this beer.

An incredible Belgian ..absolutely! I paid 6.49 for this beer. I find it funny that people will complain about the price of one of the best beers in the world but will go to a restaurant and pay more the 5.00 for a commercial beer?

I still haven't had Westy 12 yet.

4.28/5  rDev -5.1%

Murky brown with yeast and trub. Light off-tan head. Possibly one of the best looking beers I've ever had. Aroma is quite layered mix - cabernet, sherry, plum, raisin, and almost a sweet/sour finish. Flavor is smooth in every way - sweet raisin, plum, brown sugar, merlot. Explodes on the palate. No alcohol flavor even in the slightest. Flavor lasts forever. Not my style of beer and probably will never have again, but very worthwhile to experience.

4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

This is strongest and most memorable of the Belgian strong dark ales I've had. Pours dark, smells strong. The first two or three sips you really notice the alcohol, but also the amazing flavor. As you go through the glass, the alcohol fades to the background, and you are left with a fantastic, complex taste. By the end of one bottle, all I thought of was having another. Two are doable, but hard to imagine a 3rd. This is a truly special beer.

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from an 11.2 ounce bottle into a Duvel tulip. A massive 2 fingers up buttercream head formed on top of the purple/mahogany body. The bubble on bubble formation of the head slowly dissipated, leaving behind tons of lace. Insane legs.

The nose has tons of dark fruits...figs, raisins, plums. The backround finds a deep, sticky caramel aroma.

The flavor falls in line with the nose almost perfectly. The dark fruits dominated up front...sugary center gives way to a still sweet but boozy finish.

The mouth feel borders between medium and thick...somewhat astringent with a dry finish.

It's easy to tell why this is one of the highest rated beers out there... super tasty and complex...the boozy finish is the only thing that holds is down a little.

A- Pours a dark brown color with a one finger tan head. Good retention and sparse lacing.

S- Bunch of sweet caramel malts with large amount of candy sugar up front. Plenty of dark fruit follow, raisins. Nice belgian yeast also comes into play toward the end.

T- Brown sugar is the first thing I pick up, then darker fruits with with black cherrie and raisin. A bit of spicy character to it as well.

M- Medium mouthfeel, but somehow more slick then other beers.

D- This beer is one of the best for the style that I've tried, everything in balance, makes you want to go back for more.

Had this one in my beer cellar since I purchased it in 2007. That makes it at least 4 years old.

Appearance - A refreshing hiss emerged as I gently removed the cap. Dark amber, bronze in color. The tan head only forms a slightly less than one-finger depth, but it lasts, and lasts. The fine carbonation feeds the retention of a modest 1/4 inch head long after I finish the pour. It appears "nice legs" would be a correct phrase to use to describe the lasting carbonation, even after aging it as long as I have.

Smell - Yeast, bready, figs, plumbs, some zesty aromas as well. Perhaps pears is the best way of describing this amazing nose. Very refreshing. Light, but at the same time multifaceted.

Taste - ok, the head is still present. This is impressive. Oh wait, I'm supposed to talk about the taste. Rich, fruity, very complex in the sense that there is some much going on. ok...anise..yes, anise is predominate. Also some sweet caramel as well. Figs as well. what the hell? The head is still present? wow...impressive. Roasty malt/barley comes through as well. Not even a hint of a boozy quad hit on this one. No wonder the monks were happy after quaffing this one and why they saved it for special occasions. The malty goodness shines through. No hint of ABV here. Amazing.

Mouthfeel - Creamy, (oh did I mention the head is still present?) moderate density. Not too harsh/dense, while not too wispy.

Drinkability - You know, with the multitude of varieties that are "beer", you should not overlook some of the classic styles that you can point to and say, "That will stand the test of time, fads, opinions, etc." This, my friends, is one of them. Should all all things pass away (i.e. barrel-aging, mad "over-hopping", twists on styles (i.e. lemongrass instead of coriander in a witbier)), go back and look to the roots of a style. You will be impressed with what time has provided as a standard/yardstick by which all others are to be measured. I cannot believe this is as easily available as it is. I can go down to my local beer store and by this. Go now and do the same. I challenge you to do so. Apart from a Westy 12, this is the my top pick for best representing the style. It beats the Westy 12 only because I can go and buy it now.

p.s. Yes, the head is still present. What is this made of?

4.74/5  rDev +5.1%

Big treat for me, and I was worried about how the beer would open after coming from a monestary in Belgium. Perfect open with a cloud of carbination hovering over the inside rim of the bottle. The smell was amazing- plum, banana, fig. Normally I am not great at picking up tastes and flavors, but you can tell this is a great beer because it makes you become a connoisseur. I was not sure if the beer would live up to my expectations, but this beer has, and is, as I have read, addictive. The taste is so complex, and the flavors you smell are the same ones you taste. All this at 11.3%. I want to let it warm to see how the flavors come out, but it is hard to let it sit there without me drinking it.
I made the right choice on this one. Well worth the price.

4.37/5  rDev -3.1%

Man, this beer smells good. Wait, I'm going out of order. It is very dark, almost black when poured into my glass. Back to the smell. Malty, caramel with some fruitiness. The taste is so damn good! Carbonated, but can't really taste the strong alcohol. Very smooth, malty, carmel taste. Getting slight fruity hints. Drinkability isn't really an issue, since this is a small bottle, and at $5 plus dollars I'm only having one. Awesome beer. God bless those Belgians!

4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured out of a bottle into Westvleteren goblet.

Appearance: Great deep brown color with an off white creamy looking head. One finger of head that dissipates to about a half finger. Good lacing
Smell: Malty, sweet, raisin, brown sugar, light alcohol. Overall a wonderful deep and well balanced scent.
Taste: Wow. This gem fills your mouth with great rich carbonated fruit and raisin flavors. Extremely well balanced with a slight alcohol warming sensation at the end. Tons of rich and big flavors.
Mouthfeel: The brew is very carbonated so it fills the mouth a lot. Smooth and leaves a nice coating around the mouth.
Drinkability: Way too drinkable for teh ABV but still it is 11.3% so not thee most drinkable. Still a dangerously good beer.

Overall a wonderful beer and I feel very underated because it is so easy to get a hold of. Call me crazy but I think it is the next closest beer to the Westy 12 for this style; still a step below though

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

11.2 oz bottle into a pint glass

A - comes out a nice dark brown with a minute reddish hue to it. very little light getting through the sediment. nice 1/4 inch head that sticks around endlessly.

S - dark fruits (plum and cherry stick out in particular). smells quite like a sherry.

T - again dark fruits (figs), alcohol is very present here but its not overpowering. you can also taste the malts in the back.

M - a lot of carbonation here but its definitely not too much carbonation. gets the perfect amount of fizz off the tongue. very smooth drink

D - super sipping beer. obviously the ABV is gonna limit the amount of these you can have but the ones you do have are gonna go down so easily.

superb quality in this. can see why it is so highly regarded and so expensive to boot.

4.49/5  rDev -0.4%

I think I had tried this once before but never a full bottle. It was very early in my beer drinking career.

11.2 oz bottle. 260814 printed on it.

It pours a dark, deep brown with a slight hue of red. There is a lot of sediment. The head is foamy and off-white/tan with tons of dirty looking sediment. It looks rustic and I like it.

The smell is so great. It just smells like an amazing dessert with mainly dark fruits, kirsch, sherry, loads of caramel, sweet dark bread, some cocoa, perfumey floral notes, rum toffee, spices, and port. It is just a intoxicating perfume.

The flavor is nearly as good. It has a huge kirsch/sherry/port flavor to it with that alcoholic kick, but it is like you are drinking a 18% liqueur clocking in at just over 11%. There is some nuttiness that comes through more-so in the taste that blends with the alcohol , bready malt,and dark fruit notes for a luscious decadent dessert flavor. The caramel also comes though with some sweetness on the back end.

It has an intriguing liqueur presence about it that takes it to a high level. The mouthfeel is smooth but with a prickle of carbonation.

A divine brew.

4.32/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured into the glass, the beer is very dark brown and hazy. The tan head is huge, with big bubbles of CO2 puffing their way through the top. Pretty enjoyable to watch.

The aroma is malty and sweet with dark brown sugar and a healthy dose of phenols.

Medium-heavy bodied, creamy and sweet. Figs, prunes, raisins, dark bread, a slight smokiness and mild phenols. Some leafy hops, warming alcohol and peppery spice in the finish.

A great beer. I could sip on this thing all night. Unfortunately that would probably be a bad idea considering the ABV.

3.81/5  rDev -15.5%

A few years ago I had all three of the Rochefort's and well, did not like them. For some odd reason I didn't write any notes on the 10 so here I am giving this another shot, after a few hundred (thousand?) different beers I may have developed more of a palette for this one. We shall see.

Served in a Chimey glass.

Pours a dark brown color, leaving a near black but not fully black body, a decent head forms full of tiny extremely compact bubbles, that quickly leaves and leaves marginal lacing and a tan film over the body of the beer. Swirling leaves carbonation that slowly drizzles down back into the glass, nothing staying on the glass itself.

Bitter/sour notes give way to dark fruits and subtle dark malt aromas. I am having a hard to placing any of these aromas. There is a vanilla creamy caramel effect (sounds too American to be right) that subdues the fruit aromas and leaves me a bit in the dark here.

Opening with a sweet yet sweet even till nearly the back of the tongue cream candy caramel chocolate type malt/yeast flavor. The flavors are very cream like at the front of the tongue and darker and deeper towards the back, finally finishing with a bitter hop kiss. This is amazing candy like in natures. I fully understand why I disliked this in the past. I disliked this in the past, it is just simply too sweet. It is like a glass of amazing candy/alcohol. I have apparently become far too much of a gluten because today I'm rather impressed by this tasty treat.

D. There is still a hell of an alcohol kick to open this bad boy. I worry that the subtle hops to finish it will leave forever if I were to age a bottle too long. The flavors mix so well that I would fear age simply dulling the intense flavors present. Not sure the age with 280415 written on the bottle. One would assume that's the best by, but I don't know how many years they claim this one lasts.

M Creamy, thick, smooth and just wonderful. I could use a bit of a bit from hops, can't lie, but just wonderful stuff.

This is a treat to say the least. Looks like 6 and 8 need to be re-reviewed, hell I might give Chimay Blue a shot....though I found it unimpressive fairly recently.

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

[Best served in a Trappist glass]

Poured a muddy dark brown with little bits of yeast floating with a large frothy tan head that was quickly dissipating and had fair lacing. The aroma was of a roasted bread malts, light herbal hops and a doughy yeast with notes of molasses, plums, figs and raisons. It tasted wonderfully malty-sweet at first with a hint of molasses with a the finish being bitter-sweet with notes of dried fruit and had a mild alcohol twinge. Mouthfeel was medium to full in body and quite creamy in texture with a soft carbonation. Overall an outstanding strong ale, defintely worth trying!!

Reviewed from notes:

Appearance: dark brown with a orange hue and a 1 finger head

smell: caramel, malts, dark fruits

taste: sweet, dark fruits,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body, smooth

drinkability: easy drinker for being 10+ abv. This beer has some very complex flavors very intriguing. I recommend you give it a try.

cheers,

the CPJ

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

Bottle was stamped with 030215.

A- 4 Poured a murky, dark chocolatey brown color with a minimal but smooth off-white head. The lacing isn't super sticky but a ring of foam clings around the edges of the glass. Bits of sediment are suspended throughout the body of the brew evenly (I poured it too fast, but they settled to the bottom).

S- 4 Yeast, caramel, roasted and nutty malts, and just a hint of booze. It also has a scent similar to red wine; a dark fruity aroma.

T- 4.5 Even sweeter than I imagined from the aroma. It is malty but balanced with a candy-like sweetness and a mild bitterness. There is also a taste of dark fruit. The yeast is definitely present as well. Just a touch of booze on the finish reminds you this is a strong one. It is not as nutty as I expected from its aroma.

M- 4 This brew is very smooth. It is a nice medium body with good carbonation. It is slightly syrupy on the finish.

D- 4 This is a very good beer and I can see why it is touted so highly. It isn't too heavy and I could see myself having a couple of these in a sitting. Because of its strong flavors and ABV, though, it's probably not one that you'd drink all night. It should be enjoyed for what it is and appreciated one at a time. I'd like to have this one again to try and pick up on more of its subtleties.

4.27/5  rDev -5.3%

A - Large Brown head reminiscent of coca-cola. Muddy, dark brown color.

S - Lots of raisin, white grape, sweet syrup of somekind, Sweet-Tart sugariness and some ethanol.

T - Whoa! An explosion of malt flavors, mainly dark fruits such as figs and maybe even plum. Nutty, too.

M/D - Coats the mouth with a strong sugary sweetness. A complex beer that evolves with each sip.

4.59/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Dark brown and murky; thin head but a nice steady film holds out for a while on top of the beer; lacing is good especially for the style

S: Strong vinous quality: really has a rich oaky red wine aroma at first but also plenty of dark fruits--plums, prunes, dates, etc; some orange as well as a pleasant spiciness--coriander for sure; this is a gorgeous smelling beer

T: Acidic vinous flavors off the bat with loads of dark fruits as the aromas indicated; the alcohol is well masked but its presence helps to numb the roof of the mouth; there is a wonderful malty backbone but the semi-sweet dark fruits and wine flavors steal the show; mmm

F: Perfect amount of carbonation; silky smooth mouth coating

D: The 11.3% doesn't show...at first; of course this is a slow sipping, monster beer but it is so smooth and warms the soul so nicely; one of the best beers in the world, period.

4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

Have been excited to try this one. Popped as a breakfast beer...

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a Bellegems Bruin flute glass...

A - Pours a deep brown with amber hues and a one finger tan head. Decent amount of head retention and there is some runny lace to be had...

S - Dark fruits and sweet caramel. Don't pick any alcohol notes through the nose...

T - Delicious. Caramel, plums, raisins, and a hint of chocolate. Very smooth. A perfect amount of heat comes through in the finish. Just enough to let you know that it is there. Superb...

M - Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation...

D - This may come in a small bottle, but this is a big beer. Super easy to drink. Maybe even a little to easy to drink. Could see myself putting a few of these back in a sitting. Definitely something thats going to be in my rotation...

Cheers...

4.48/5  rDev -0.7%

Intro: 11.2 oz. bottle served in a tulip glass

Appearance: Dark, rich chocolate brown with a thin, light tan head that dissipates rather quickly. Moderate carbonation. Moderate lacing is also present but slides down the glass rather quickly which is indicative of some oiliness. Some yeast sediment was detected in the bottom of my glass.

Smell: The aroma is slightly subdued but still layered, and complex, with a host of different ingredients. Initially, I detect dark fruits, caramel, brown sugar, malts, and spice. As the pour warms, the bouquet opens up slightly. The alcohol is hidden rather well but is still detected.

Taste: Like the smell, I taste dark fruits, brown sugar, and the sharp taste of spice. I could also taste the roasted flavor of the malts which also added a certain sharpness to the palette. The taste of alcohol is present and not as well hidden in this beer.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean with moderately high carbonation without an aftertaste. Only a very slight oiliness is perceived. The alcohol is present but not overbearing.

Drink: Very smooth and leaves you wanting more. Went down pretty fast for being a rather high ABV. The alcohol is not overpowering but the beer should still be a sipper. A dessert beer.

Conclusion: One can tell this beer is the culmination of years of development. It is a rich, complex beer that needs a couple of sessions to really appreciate the nuances and complexity. I consider this to be in my all-round top 10 list, right below St. Bernardus Abt 12 and I will always keep an ample supply to break out and enjoy with friends.

3.99/5  rDev -11.5%

11.2oz bottle poured into a Westvleteren chalice.

A - Pours that muddy brown color, almost like swamp water, familiar to many other quads. A nice 1-fingered head builds before calming down into about a 2cm cap that rings around the glass. There's some lacing, but for the most part it's fairly sparse.

S - Smell is complex and bold, with lots of various characteristics going on. Almost instantly I get a butterscotch, buttery caramel at the beginning that reminds of the butterbomb Rochefort 8 I had, but fortunately it's much more toned down here. I'm also getting a lot of sweet, candied, dark fruits, especially grapes and plums. There's also a bit of an alcohol burn in the back as well but it meshes well with the rest of the beer.

T - Given the butterscotch in the nose, I was bracing for the worst for the taste, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that this beer has a very nice flavor to it. The butterscotch at first whets the palate and prepares it for the sweet ride it's subject to following the malts, Belgian yeast, candied sugar, and the multitude of fruits. It's hard to pick out specific notes as everything melds nicely together, but the plums stand out the most for me. It's a bit sugary, not to the extent that St. Bernardus 12 is for me, and the alcohol plays more of a role in the taste than the nose, for better or worse. It's a bit hot and abrasive, and although it hurts the drinkability a bit, it serves as a stern warning. Finish is long and full of sweetness, alcohol, and fruit.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy with medium carbonation. Leaves a thick, sweet coating on the palate.

D - Drinkability is moderate. The flavors are interesting but honestly, I am not sure how this compares to Westvleteren 12. I haven't had them side by side so it's hard to be objective, but I found this to be more sweet and alcoholic, and the buttery notes I've gotten in both the Rochefort 8 and 10 are just not doing it for me. It's still a tasty brew, but currently I'd have to give the big three Quads a ranking of... 1. Westvleteren 12, 2. St. Bernardus 12, 3. Rochefort 10. Depending on when I want to crack another Westvleteren, I should definitely do a side by side of all prominent Quads.

Appearance:
Rich dark mahogany brown with a thin, light tan head. Ample carbonation coming up in rippling plumes from the bottom, definitely a beer eager to be conno-sumed. The head didn't last for a very long time, but a gentle swirl brings it back from the dead. Moderate lacing it also present.
I believe I did see some yeast sediment at the bottom of my glass, hard to spot given the beer's light-consuming darkness.

Smell:
A potent liquor head that beams through the beer's natural sweetness. The yeast also provides additional fruitiness that competes for attention, but isn't able to get out of the beer's %ABV shadow. Nothing special jumps out in the nose of this beer to separate it from the other Belgian trappiste quads, great beer smell, should follow through nicely

Taste:
Delightfully rich and bready with a dirty mineral heaviness. A biting fizz mixed with penetrating alcohol and leaves my mouth feeling dry, yet also coated in the beer's syrupy sweetness. This is a fairly mild quad with most of the flavors in harmony, neither the hops nor the yeast seem to stick out more than one another.

Mouthfeel:
For the beer's potency, the alcohol is masked well. The beverage is full bodied and has a semi-sweet dryness that makes is suitable for sipping or pairing with a meal. The beer's bready richness makes each sip filling and adequate.

Drinkability:
A delicious beer that would pair well with a stew or is fine sippings on its own. A strong %ABV makes this beer adequate in it's < 12floz bottle size (let down), but i wouldn't mind trying it in a corked 750ml. This quad is slightly overpriced (unit value), but sometimes it's nice to pay less than a typical $12 for a smaller sampling. In light of a recent fire (where nobody was hurt and no beer was lost), I pray for prices to remain reasonable because I would like to try the other styles produced by these monks!

Cheers.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort