Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into a snifter from a 11.2oz bottle.

Appearance is damn near perfect. Thick, bubbly light brown head, about two fingers worth, that eventually settles but never goes away, just stays there like a thick blanket over the rest of the beer. Deep dark brown thats only barely penetrated by the light.

Get some malt, maybe a little spice in the nose. Sweet spice, like clove.Just a slight smell of alcohol. A little bit of dark fruits too.

This is a really delicious beer. Just a little sweet, just a slight alcohol bite. Lots of spice, that clove and some other sweet spices (nutmeg?) are coming through pretty heavy. Little more alcohol as it warms but nothing crazy. I could probably sip on this all night. Some things going on that I don't even think my pallet can properly get a handle on.

Sips very nicely. Not super-heavy but definitely has some heft to it. Doesn't stay on the tongue too long except for that nice little bit of spice.

I would probably drink this all the time if I had the money to buy it. It's definitely a sipper, something to be enjoyed on a cold night after a long days work. Really good.

citan133, Apr 19, 2009
4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Apearance: Poured out of an 11.2 oz bottle into a goblet. The freshness date on the bottle is 01-10-13, and from what I understand this is five years from the bottled-on date. This beer pours a beautiful chocolate brown color that makes this beer look like a melted Hershey's bar, and this dark, rich looking beer allows no light to pass through even when backlit with a lamp. The large, two fingered head is easily and rapidly formed, and is a pleasant medium khaki color. The torrent of small carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass helps to keep this head alive, and even in a wide mouth goblet the head retains complete surface coverage. It leaves very little lace behind, however, but this is probably due to the high ABV.

Smell: This is an exceptionally dark and boozy nose, and it has very strong aromas of dark fruit (prunes and raisins) and alcohol, and at first sniff it reminds me more of rum than of beer. Subsequent sniffs help me to pick out some of the less potent aromas, and I can perceive hints of brown sugar, anise, and bittersweet chocolate.

Taste: As was the case with the nose of this beer the taste has a very intense medicinal alcohol character about it, and I must say that it is one of the most perceptibly high ABV beers I've ever tasted. This creates a strong warming effect on the throat during consumption, and I can see this beer being perfect for a cold, dark, winter night. Besides the alcohol this beer has a very thick and intense maltiness about it, with a lightly sweet character to the malt. There are also hints of rich, dark molasses, dark fruit (raisins and plums), anise, and just enough clove taste to make you realize that this is a Belgian yeast strain. There is also the same rum quality that was present in the nose, and slight hints of smokiness that, when combined with the hearty alcohol taste, remind me a lot of Laphroaig scotch.

Mouthfeel: This beer is heavenly smooth and creamy, but the body isn't quite as robust as I was expected. It's a little on the low side compared to other Trappist beers, but it still ranks above average. BJCP guidelines state that "authentic Trappist versions tend to be medium-light to medium [body], while Abbey-style beers can be quite full and creamy", so perhaps this was the body to be expected, but I still can't rate this beer a five because I can imagine a fuller-bodied Quadrupel.

Drinkability: Some beers attempt to hide their high ABV, but Rochefort 10 lets you know right from the start that it will be one of the darkest, strongest ales you've ever tasted. Surprisingly this doesn't do much to limit the drinkability, and these delicious 11.2 oz are disappearing quite rapidly.

Notes: This is one very dark, rich, complex, and strong ale. I didn't pair my sample with anything because I didn't want to distract my palate with anything other than the taste of this highly-touted beer, but next time I might drink this alongside a nice cut of beer or a strong cheese. Hopefully I'll get to do this sooner, rather than later, but at $7.50 a bottle it might be a while before I pick up another one of these beers, no matter how delicious it is. Regardless, if this is a beer that you have not tried yet, do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle next time you're at the store; you won't regret it.

johnmichael712, Apr 17, 2009
4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

Served from 11.2 oz bottle into St. Bernardus Chalice

Pours a beautiful deep reddish brown color. Quarter inch of dense, light brown head. Lingers for a while before spreading around and thinning out. Lovely lacing on the sides of the chalice.

Loads and loads of dark fruit and cloves in the nose. Very complex smell as with some of the other good Quads. Everything seems so well blended that aside from a couple of big hitters, it is hard to put your finger on exactly what it is you are smelling -- no complaints though.. it's nice.

Very well blended and smooth taste. Not my favorite quad (still not a huge fan of the cloves for some reason), but I can see why it gets all the hype. Very different from St. Bernardus in my opinion, which is a little less in your face, perhaps at the expense of some of the complexity (although that one is in my top 3).

Smooth mouth feel -- a little boozy, but considering the ABV, its very well hidden. No problem drinking one, but putting two back would be a bit of a struggle. Definitely recommend it, but if you know you don't like cloves, you may want to think twice about forking over the cash.

Bcaulin, Apr 17, 2009

This beer is a nice dark maroon color with a great head not sure the inches b/c the smell kept my nose in it for awhile. It was served at a perfect 50 degrees. As fair as smell there is no Trappiste ale ive had (have had most all of this type) with such a great smell cant even describe it just such a wonderful smell. Taste even better than the smell or just as good. To me Trappiste ales are hard to describe taste/smell wise all i can say is "most" are very smooth with a high abv. you can even taste (especially this one). Mouthfeel not think at all very smooth overall. Way too easy to drink considering the abv. in this beer.

a061183, Apr 13, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

bought this one not realizing it was ten bucks, but fucking a i'm glad i did.
poured into a red wine glass, not the proper width of glass, but oh well. i went outside to view it in the light of the setting sun. it looks dark red and brown, bubbles everywhere.
it smells like...i don't know, a casked wine, maybe, definitely a good powerful explosion of scent.
the taste...i can't believe how good this beer is. i don't even know if i can comprehend what this beer tastes like, some dark fruit, my friend said prunes...maybe grapes?
the mouthfeel is great, the longer i keep it in my mouth, the more the flavour evolves.
drinkablility is pretty easy, for the bottle at least. i couldn't drink more than one of these...maybe two, but i'm already feeling kinda drunk.
this is one of the best beers i will ever have in my life

sluhdrum07, Apr 12, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: Dark Walnut Brown with a really nice head. Strong.

Aroma: A bit of a tang, along with a small bit of a soapy smell.

Taste: Strong nutty taste to start, and then evolves into a bit of cola taste, before ending on a nice milk chocolate taste on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Coats the tongue nicely, and it's not afraid of being bold. Very nice.

Drinkability: A definite beer. One that should be tried.

AccidentalKate, Apr 11, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

First experience with this beauty.
A - Poured into Duvel glass. Holy smokes, the head is insane. This is the most careful pour I've ever done in my life and the head threatens to spill out the top of the glass. Finally under control now. The beer itself is a dark ruby with a slight soil brown as well. The head is very white. This is the first time I've seen the head of a beer act like a living organism. It's fading in different regions, disappating at its own pace. There are mountains and valleys all in this now, leaving spider webs all acros the glass.
S - Wow... where to begin? First thing that I get off of this is some strong sweetness. Some prune, little bit of tobacco, very bready. Like strong rye/whole grain bread. There are some other general fruity flavors that I can't place right now. Slight estery alcohol as well, but fits in nicely.
T - Again, I am astounded. Extremely complex flavor here, my mind is going crazy trying to pinpoint all of the flavors. All right, there's definite malt breadiness turned sweet, some very nice fruit also in the form of fig, prune, slight banana and strawberry, light tobacco aftertaste, bit of botterscotch, warm alcohol, nice tannins, slight hop bittnerness. Each flavor just rolls into the next, layers upon layers of depth here.
M - This feels better on my tongue than anything else. Very soft, velvety, creamy, leaves mouth begging for more but also somewhat satisfied. This is what liquid bread is all about.
D - This was very easy to put back, very smooth, but if you put many of these down, it would put you down.

In short, this lives up to the hype. Best trappist I've ever had, period.

youngblood, Apr 10, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

My last review was DFH 90 minute. This #10 for my 100th review seemed fitting. On April 10th, which is the 100th day of the year. I'm all about seizing opportunity. Thanks to superfantastic for the idea.

This is the first Quad that I have had the opportunity to try. I've enjoyed Rochefort's other offerings, and I am sure that this will be no different.

The first thing that I am struck by is how eagerly the ivory head developed in my snifter. (I wanted to enjoy the big nose that I am expecting). It's retaining and lacing very nicely as well. To say that the head is developing its own landscape is an understatement. Rugged mounds of froth are basically doing what they please in a tectonic display of power. There are little nuggets of yeast floating around, despite my careful pour. That's a little bit of a turn off, but no major problem.

Nose is dominated by sweetness. There are only subtle hop qualities. As it warms up I am getting butterscotch, and other toffy like aromas. Much more pronounced than I am used to. There's definitely a fresh baked rye bread aroma, almost salty. Very very interesting.

As for the taste, the hops are on the light side, yet present. I also get the flavor of prunes and phenols. spicy, peppery, and the taste of buttered dark multigrain bread. You know, the kind with rolled oats on top? There are fruity qualities. There's a very hearty food-like quality to this beer. It's incredible. I've never experienced anything like it. Warming in the mouth, the throat, stomach...

The feel of this beer is sublime. It's like what angels would feel like if, somehow, you could drink them. Full bodied, this is one of the softest beers I have ever had in my mouth.

The drinkability is going to score a little lower, because this beer is REALLY intense. Drinkability over the period of a week or a year? Incredible. Drinkability over the period of a single night? Um....less.

Notes:
My experience with Beeradvocate.com is literally shaping who I am as a human being. I can't wait for the next 100, and I can't think of a better beer to celebrate my centennial. #10 is one of those that I have always wondered about, and now will always think of longingly. What an excellent beer. Thank God for the Catholic church, and for putting men in monasteries for so long that they literally had no choice but to create some of the finest beers on the planet to pass the time.

Beernoisseur, Apr 10, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

1st Review. Poured from a 330mL bottle into a snifter.

Very dark amber in color and the head was tan with nice retention. A nice lace is left on the glass

The aroma was a deep fulfilling one of dark chocolate, and nutty with a apricot sweetness.

The taste was full bodied with a nice balance of bitterness you wish to find in a dark beer. Toasted and chocolate with a nice maltiness. it has a nice, intense, sweet aftertaste that doesn't linger longer than you want it to. The bitterness fades out and your left with all the beauty of the undertones.

Smooth and creamy with a nice balanced level of carbonation.

This is a beautiful beer that should be savored. Nicely comparable to the Pannepot Grand Reserva but with a richer history and nicer aftertaste.

BiologySean, Apr 10, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

Review #2. Poured into St. Bernardus trappist glass.

A: Nice thin light khaki head. Light lacing. Deep dark amberish color almost like sap.

S: Faint fruitiness but nothing too strong. Traditional smell of dates/raisins is apparent.

T: Good taste. Notes of a sweet and ever so slightly bitter brown sugar taste with mixed fruits. Not blowing my socks off but for sure a nice treat.

M: This is a strong performance beer. Holds up great while sitting in my mouth. This is the part that begins to impress me the most. Definitely a burn at first but nothing to shy away from. I actually loved the mouthfeel the most.

D: This is right up there as beers go for drinkability. Truly a treat worth having. Obviously not meant to be a session beer but I can see this working out if you grab a few for the night.

Must say I am impressed. While Westvleteren really is the creme de la creme in the Quad class. One can see why this is the runner up.

chiguy2420, Apr 10, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

pouerd this out into a wastmalle trappist goblet .

Appearance:a dark rich brown with a thin head of froth that sticks around .it`s got alot of yeast floating that gathers at the bottom of the glass.

Smell:dark fruits and malt very pleasing to the snout .the fruit ,figs and raisins ,smoky sweet malt and yeast all working together.

Taste:nothing in this beer is off balance and the flavor is no exception .i thought the alcohol would be too strong,or the fruit and yeast too bitter, but to my (not too)sweet surprise this is a good beverage .

mouthfeel:what dances on this stage? a bitter song of alcohol and a fine selection of yeast and that just performs deeper as the show goes on.

Drinkablility: this brew give a fantastic performance. it just grabs your palate and tells you who is in controll it linger on stage to long prehaps by it knows what it`s doing.

goblet, Apr 08, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into an oversized wine glass

Appearance: Dark brown with a nice big fluffy off white head.

Smell: Dried fruits, with a nice bready backbone, absolutely awesome.

Taste: There are those dried fruits again (plum?), and an absolutely amazing yeasty/bready finish. This is definitely the best tasting belgian I've ever had.

Mouthfeel: Heavy yet pretty crisp.

Drinkability: I can drink this stuff for breakfast lunch dinner and dessert, I absolutely love it. Plus there really isn't that much of an alcohol bite to it.

Notes: Beautiful, truely amazing. I'm a huge Belgian fan and this one just ousted St Bernardous out of my number one. I saved this for a special occasion and it did not let me down at all!

BigIrishman, Apr 07, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

A- Pours a nearly opaque brown with a thin tan head.

S- Candied figs, molasses, biscuity yeast, and warm alcohol.

T- Leads with dried dark fruits of plums and blueberries. Molasses notes lead into a blast of warming alcohol, finishes with notes of heavily malted barley and wheat.

M- This thing has legs the tasting experience just goes on and on.

D- This is a sit by the fire and contemplate life while you sip slowly away type beer. Very interesting and subtle in its presentation.

UA8, Apr 05, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass
A: chocolate brown, almost looks like cider. large head, calms quickly and sticks to the side of the glass.
S: light fruit, malt and molasses or toffee
T: warm, sweet, caramel, with good carbonation.
fruity, peppery finish which lasts
I was aware of the alcohol, but not matching the expectation, given the ABV.
M: medium. some burn but not overpowering
D: except for the price and my wimpiness (ABV), gimme, gimme, gimme!

overall: go NOW and have one!

regspeir, Apr 01, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a dark reddish brown, with a thin white head. The smell if very complex with hintsof dark fruits, candied malt and chocolate. The taste is even more complex than the smell, with alternating flavors of dark fruits, chocolate and roasted malt.

A truly great beer. I was lucky enough to be gifted with two cases of this beer, which I have been slowly drinking over the last year. When this supply runs out I may actually cry into my last beer (and then proceed to go out and buy another stash).

jwolfie70, Apr 01, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -16.9%

A: Pours a dark, murky, prune juice brown with a tan head.

S: Aroma is of sweet brown sugar/molasses and raisins.

T: Taste is raisiny with alcohol and other dark fruits. The high ABV warms as it goes down.

M: Pretty good. Not thin, not ultra thick.

gameface23, Mar 31, 2009
4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

It poured dark brown. It had a two finger head that slowly retreated into a one finger head. There was some carbonation present, and an unfiltered appearance.

It had a great scent. Well balanced and mild. The malt and hops blended perfectly. I actually salivated.

It had quite a zing. The alcohol was present but tempered. It was spicy and floral at the same time. The malt was rich and tasty. It was medium bodied in a velvety way.

It is drinkable. I like it a lot.

Rennpferd, Mar 31, 2009
4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Rich espresso brown body.. khaki head theat lingers and leaves thick lacing behind.

S: Mostly caramel, raisins, alcohol, dark cherry and coffee.

T: Similar to the nose but much more complex and discernible. Large dose of caramel, chocolate, and coffee. Accented by raisins, plums, dark cherries and a healthy dose of alcohol. Yeasty tones are throughout.

M: Rich flavoring in a creamy-smooth presentation on the tongue. Moderately carbonate. A nice finish with lingering belgian yeastyness.

D: Spot on for a huge quad.

callmemickey, Mar 30, 2009
4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

A deep brown pour, initially with a thick creamy tan head but soon it turns into a thin film which leaves a sheet of excellent lacing in it's wake. One of the better looking brews.

A somewhat sweet aroma, with some dark cherry and grape.

Tasted like a very well balanced mixture of the above, along with some licorice. The alcohol was there, but blended in much better than most beers of this strength. Very nice.

Mouthfeel was near perfect, yet just a small notch below the very best. Medium/thick and smooth, and with a nice tingle.

This is certainly one of the best beers of it's style. I really liked how it wasn't too over the top with the dark fruit taste or alcohol. Everything meshed together very well to create a wonderful beer to sip and admire.

JBogan, Mar 29, 2009
4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours dark caramel brown color with a thick tan foamy head with nice lacing. You can just make out the bubbles when held up to the light.

S- Rich malty nose with some spices and subtle fruit scents. Slightest ester and fig smells as well.

T- Strong malt flavor. The alcohol is fairly present but not too overpowering. There are some coffee and chocolate flavors that come through a bit along with some tart fruit and yeast tastes. Not much in the hops department although maybe a little hoppy bitterness in the finish.

M- Smooth and creamy full body with sweet and bitter tastes balancing well.

D- Nice brew that should be sipped and savored.

projectflam86, Mar 28, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Seriously, how can you not like a Trappist beer of this caliber...

The Rochefort 10 is one of the strongest quad beers out there, you can't find 11.3% ABV everyday.

It looks terrific, even in its dark bottle, but you realize what a masterpiece this is once you pour it in the special Trappist glass. The color is dark, the foam consistent. You see small dark (colloidal?) particles dancing around. A sign of a great abbey beer.

Smell it... ahh, GOOD SWEET HEAVENS! I'm sure the monks say something like that when they sip to control their limited production line. You can even sense its strong content in alcohol, this IS a dangerous potion afterall!

First sip, second sip... if you like sweet syrupus beers you will love this one. The alcohol is there though, carefully masqueraded behind this dense sweetness. The mouthfeel is great as always due to the viscosity.

By the time you finish it you have drunk the equivalent of half a bottle (750ml) of a Retsina wine. Would you have another one? Thankfully, the Rochefort 10 is much more accessible than its cousin the Westvleteren so you can have another one, albeit the price.

Kensai, Mar 25, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lightly chilled and poured into a Duvel glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically. Freshness date is 011013 which means it was bottled on the 1st of October in 2008 and is just 6 months old. (Which the monks say on their website is the prime age for drinking this beer.)

Appearance: Pours a deep dark brown (almost black) color with a 1" off white head that recedes fairly quickly to leave a rim of foam, a thin surface cover and strands of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Rich and smooth with few distinct aromas to that stand out clearly. There is clearly sweetness from the malt, and no detectable alcohol. The aroma reminds me of a fine port with hints of fruit and spices. But what fruit? Possibly a hint of banana but this is so complex there is much more here but it is so well integrated that nothing stands out clearly... All I can think of is a mixed basket of fruits or a rich holiday fruitcake.

Taste: The taste is incredibly complex and built around a firm malt backbone with not even a hint of alcohol. It is complex and fruity but as with the aroma I can't really identify which fruits, except perhaps a touch of ripe pear and no shortage of other fruit flavors.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is full and soft from the light, continuous carbonation. The finish is long and malty with hints of chocolate and a dry ending.

Drinkability: For its ABV this is extremely drinkable (sippable actually), but I doubt I could or would want do more than one a night. But each sip leaves me wanting yet another. I now understand why there is so much praise for this beer. This just too complex and well integrated to be broken easily into identifiable elements.

Note: I'll be trying this beer again in a few weeks and will try to improve on this description.

drtth, Mar 22, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -10.2%

2007 vintage. Blind tasting next to 2005 Westvleteren 12.

Pours a deep amber brown with a huge rocky tan head leaves thick coating of lacing. Beautiful.

Aroma is of sweet caramel malts and imitation grape candy.

Flavor is of rich sweet malts and again imitation grape candy. Dark stone fruits and alcohol.

Medium in body with moderate carbonation feel. Hot.

This is a fine beer, but lacks the depth to be the top of it's class. I love the availability, always a pleasure to drink.

iasanlee, Mar 21, 2009
4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

In a snifter:

Pours deep brown with garnet notes. Tons of head; four fingers in my snifter, which is off white, creamy and billowy. Settles very slowly. Alcohol is obvious in the nose. Notes of raisin and dark fruit, a touch of toffee and citrus. Tastes pleasantly tart maltiness flush with plum and raisin. Finishes
with a significant and complex fruity bitter. The aftertaste is
wonderfully sweet and lingers for a substantial amount of time. Strong in body. Carbonation is high, but in line with the style;
fine, and brings out flavor quite well. Rochefort 10's drinkability is somewhat diminished by its high carbonation. Other than that, this is a brew I'd gladly enjoy a couple bottles of.

Overall: It's so nice to have such a great beer available all the time. If you haven't tried this one yet, do so.

schroederm, Mar 21, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Nebbiolo grape and black cherry; Rochefort 10 appears considerably more dark and foggy since I chose to include the sediment. There was enough carbonation that I could see and hear bubbles crackling and yet when all had finally settled, there still rest a creamy, full finger's worth of head! Assuredly, it is capable of enduring well beyond the liquid that lay beneath it.

There may be no better smell to ever grace this Earth; certainly not my nasal passage anyhow. It is a calming, mellowed perfume of candy apple, juicy wine grapes, spiced holiday bread, exotic teas, and a full garden of fragrant, blossoming flowers. This bouquet takes words like "ambrosial", "luscious", "blissful" and completely diminishes their worth. From now on 'Rochefort' should be the new adjective in describing things celestial and deific.

The real mystique about Belgian beers like this one is the cultured, time-tested, antique generation yeast that has adapted itself to the brewery and to the beer through generations of evolution. This certainly tastes like the monks must have a secret concoction of far-away spices but they don't. The only trick up their sleeve is the magic of yeast!

Ginger glazed squash, plum pudding, coriander spiced pink fish, sticky toffee pudding, vintage Italian reds, cinnamon tortes, Madeira port, peanut brittle, lavender tea... the list can go on and on and on. It doesn't define flavour - it suggests it. It permits the imagination to take liberties and the palate to pair it with its meal. Given the entwined history of monasteries and brewing, surely we can believe beer like this is a gift from the heavens!

I didn't fully appreciate Belgian Quads when I first encountered them. (Granted, I thought I could, even despite not really liking the way they tasted). But over the years I've come to recognize their subtleties, acknowledge their distinctiveness, be cognizant of their disposition and have developed a better understanding of just how they not only symbolize, but quite literally are, the result of generation upon generation of skilled and devoted monks. Wow.

biegaman, Mar 19, 2009