Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

Review 100! Poured into chalice, pours the darkest shade of brown you can imagine, all but pure black. Thick, really thick, off-white and creamy head with great retention and lacing. The overall look in the cup is amazing. Smell is good but a little too much alcohol in it, but I guess thats to be expected with such a high ABV. Also some chocoalte, roasted grain, raisin, and touch of rum in the smell. Taste is wonderfully complex. Tingles at first and then lead to a nice caramel and chocolate taste on the tounge and leaves a raisin like warming sensation as it goes down. The first sip was amazing I must say. As it warms I started noticing more alcohol and some sweet sugar. I would say mouthfeel is medium with a nice aftertaste and somewhat thick presence left behind. Drinkability I can only give a 3.5 due to the cost and high ABV. Overall a tremendous beer, while not my highest rated beer of the first 100, its probably in the top 10, just as it is in the Top 100 list. Enjoy this beer slowly.

bunnyhustle, Dec 26, 2007
3.88/5  rDev -14%

11.2 oz bottle. Pours a murky brown with a huge fizzy off white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is strong harsh alcohol (rum) with fruit cake, dark fruits and some sugary caramel malts.

The flavor is dark fruits, wood, sweet caramel and toffee with some bitter alcohol in the finish which nicely balances the sweetness but becomes a little harsh as it warms. The mouthfeel is medium to full with velvety carbonation.

Overall, a very fine beer with lots of complexity and nice balance.

Beaver13, Dec 25, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +0.4%

First off, Take your bottle and roll it on your table gently so the yeast that settled on the bottom of the bottle lifts off the bottom and intrudes the rest of the bottle. Pours a nice brownish/red with a massive amount of yeast. (awesome) Smell is fruity like cherries and other dark fruits. Taste is definately almost a wine. Class is close to a barleywine in my opinion. Very sweet though with little to no noticeable hops to finish off the palate. A very different type than I'm used to, but I very much appreciate the craftsmanship put into this superb brew. Very pleasant and light. A very drinkable but sipper of a brew. Elegance at it's best.

DrinkinBuddy, Dec 23, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -14.6%

I let this one age in the bottle for about a month. I read somewhere that the monastery that produces this fine beverage puts it in the bottle right after fermentation, so I didn't want to review it being so "green". The beer poured into my Chimay goblet had a dense, dark brown color. The head that sat atop the brew was a soft, pillowy white. The aroma had a lot of fruity esters resembling raisins. There was a slight hint of sour in the aroma as well. The scent of toasted grains comes through nicely. The alcohol was definitely present in the aroma, but it had a sweet, belgian candi sugar quality that made it pleasant. There was no hop aroma. The flavor was a very intense maltiness. The flavor of dark, dried fruits was barely present. There was a great alcohol warmth with every sip, coupled with the carbonation, giving the beer a great mouthfeel. There were really no hop flavors that I could detect. The beer finished very dry, leaving a bread-like feel in your mouth. This was a very, very good beer. As to be expected from the Trappists. My only suggestion would be to age this beer longer, two or more years perhaps.

RiekerStarBrew, Dec 19, 2007

A - A dark opaque brown with huge fluffy cream-coloured head. Some visible carbonation. Very nice looking beer.
S - Heavy smells of Belgian yeasts, the fruity smells of sweet malt and a fair amount of cocoa. Quite a powerful smelling beer.
T - Lots of strong tastes of Belgian yeasts up front, strong dark chocolate and dark fruit tastes in the middle, notably, cranberry and cherry. Very little alcohol taste is noticeable, except in the warmer stages.
M - Rather heavy and malty, yet at the same time quite tingly. A good combination to prevent the malt from turning it to syrup.
D - Too strong to have many of, but very enjoyable by the bottle (or even two).

Quej, Dec 17, 2007
4.4/5  rDev -2.4%

this beer is a gem. It pours dark brown with lots of yeast. The nose is very spicy, almost vinous and with dark fruits. The taste is of dark dried fruit with an intense abbey taste. great sugary residue on the finish. refreshing and smooth this is a belgian classic! I would love it if it were just a bit cheaper, the 8 is also fantastic, maybe better. Man I love these monks and their eat off the floor clean brewery.

AKBelgianBeast, Dec 15, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a deep brown with ruby highlights when held to the light. Pancake sized tan head that settles to a thin froth, leaving behind some lace.

Aroma reminds me of toasted cinnamon-raisin bread. Spicy alcohol with dark and tropical fruit. Dark brown sugar, slightly herbal with caramel and cocoa as well.

Lots of roasted caramel, cocoa shells, and little spice. Thick maltiness with molasses and toasted dark bread. Mild herbal hops, but lots of spicy alcohol. Light banana notes with a peppery finish.

Medium-full in body, incredibly smooth and so creamy. Very luscious mouthfeel. Way to drinkable for a sip and savor beer. This will knock you down before you know it. Excellent.

Lupe, Dec 15, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -22.4%

Appearance: very deep brown. Very cloudy, full of sediments. The head is brown and low with poor retention and a nice lacing.
Aroma: sweet malts, ripe fruits and alcoholic vinous.
Taste: strong alcohol, sweet caramel, brown sugar and nice hops presence.
Mouthfeel: unctuous and mouthcoating, good carbonation, highly alcoholic (11,3%) and a full body.
Finish: starts very sweet but gradually turns to a tart aftertaste.

Overall: Very complex and well balanced one. It is too alcoholic for my taste.

AlexLMS, Dec 12, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +2%

11.2 oz picked up at the Boise Coop for about $6... cellared for about 6-7 months... poured into my red wine glass while listening to Sasha's Involver mix.

Big chunky lite tan head that dissolves to sticky lacing and a nice collar. A very careful pour left a slightly hazy walnut wood colored brew.

Aroma is tawny port.. raisins prunes... lite banana.. low chocolate and brown malts.. notes of catcher's mitt leather and lightly smoked jerky... a little flat cheap cola smell... nose-hair raising alcohol is only there at the last bit of the very warm glass... maybe some earthy hops that could easily get lost in the mix. sorta reminds me of the inside of a cigar humidor.

Great lite to medium body! Persistant little bubble carbonation that keeps all flavors intermingling very well. Flavor is complex dried fruit that plays into the Belgian yeast fruitiness. Figs and dates... curicao... a smidge of chewy leather in mid palate... a little warm lite roasted coffee.. yummy and rummy as it warms.... Mouthfeel is smooth as silk.. big and delicate at the same time.

I am going to be honest here.... I really tried to find all the little nuances in the Rochefort 10.. and I feel like I did a good job.. but I can't with a good conscience rate it that high. There is something in the back of my mind that is telling me it needed a gentle touch more maltiness/sweetness to tie everything together... don't get me wrong, to this point, this is my most highly rated beer, but I still think it needs more. Every time I've had this brew, I've put it up against another quad (or 4)... but every time, I've found things I "really" appreciate about the other quads that the "10" just does not have... but still, Tonight.... I am reviewing my highest rated beer to date.

JohnGalt1, Dec 12, 2007
4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a deep yet flat brown, but looks mahogany with light through it. two fingers of dark cream colored head. Bubble columns large and obvious when looking through the glass.

Dark caramels on the nose, roasty...almost a hint of a game roast. Barest hint of chocolate. Bready malts.

Taste is superb. Heavily roasted caramels, cocoa again, a little spicy. Alcohol noticeable, but blends in so perfectly.

Mouthfeel is nearly perfect. Plenty of carbonation, body and flavor up front, smooth and silky going down, and a bit warming.

11.3% will get you stupid, but other than that this beer sits perfectly on your stomach. Sip and savor.

Graebner, Dec 11, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

11.2 oz poured into Rochefort chalice @ Brick Store atlanta.

A: Dark brown pour with a huge off-white head. The foam disappears through the beer but the dark color was present in the lacing.

S: Warmed beer really had a unique aroma. Clear hints of fruit with some nuts/alcohol in the background. Enticing to say the least.

T: Fantastic combination of chocolate with dark fruits. The alcohol level was clearly there but soothing in every way. Complex without having the yeasty bread take over. Reminded me of chocolate covered and alcohol coated dried cherries and raisins. Delicious.

M: Syrupy mouthfeel with light carbonation.

D: The alcohol was warming and perfect for the beer. Can easily back this one up with another. The complexity of this one will have me coming back for more, hopefully many more.

This is one of those rare beer experiences that really lives up to expectations. This one completely blew me away, what a great beer. Cant wait to get some more and try at different ages. Really a well made drink in every form.

marcpal, Dec 09, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

A: slow pour into a snifter from a 11.2oz bottle. opaque brown-black color with sediment. One finger head that rapidly receded with little lacing - what I would expect from such a high ABV.

S: almost indescribable - has to be one of the most rich and complex noses I have experienced from a belgian. dark fruits; figs, plums - with hints of brown sugar and toffee and a note of alcohol. I didn't want to drink this, because I didn't think it could taste as good as it smells.

T: similar to the smell with a nice alcohol after taste - very warming. On the sweet side for the style, not too sweet though.

M: creamy. coats your tongue. beautifully effervescent.

D: Difficult to hide 11.3%, but this beer does it as well as you can. I could drink a few of these if I didn't have to work the next day.

A great beer. One of the best most complex and interesting beers I have had. Buy this beer just to smell it and the taste isn't bad either.

elmore, Dec 07, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured this one into a couple of sampler glasses. Beer Karma is all about sharing after all. Nice deep mahogany color, ruby red edges. Good tan head but did not last long. It really seems right that it didn't though.

Aroma is of dark alcohol soaked fruits, prune, fig, and a deep bready malt that just warms you up inside. I could smell this beer all day and not take a sip. I've never had a beer with an aroma that had this effect on me.

Taste is a veritable sensory delight. Thick and bready, dark mysterious fruits and sweet Belgian malts. A real sipper. To be enjoyed with company for sure. You simply can not drink this beer without talking about it with someone. Warms you from the inside out in the process.

Amazingly full body, real thick in the glass and in the mouth. One of the closest things to perfect that I have had.

ZimZamZoom, Dec 07, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Wow!!!! What a beer.
This is the kind of beer that just by the nose alone, it almost caused my eyes to roll into the back of my head.
Poured a beautifull, very deep crimson with a tinge of red showing on the edges as it was held to the light.
Smell was wonderous...dates, figs and raisons to mind. Maltiness abounds. Bready thick.
Taste was great. Huge mouthfeel, very slick and oily. Taste of malt and fruits that have been soaked.
This is a beers beer!

dmamiano, Dec 07, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours an opaque dark tea color with a huge stiff off tan head that resists fading in rocky patterns and leaves 3D lacing in its wake. The smell is nice; earthy Belgian yeast and dark fruits. Nicely carbonated the tiny bubbles of effervescence lend a creamy texture to the mouth feel. Full bodied, with a tingle of alcohol that adds nicely to the complexity, the 11.3% is well integrated. The earthy malt, raison and yeast flavors are more subtle than you would expect from a beverage with such a high ABV. Highly recommended.

jjayjaye, Dec 07, 2007
4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

A- Poured from a 11oz. bottle into my Ommegang Chalice. Pours a dark chalky brown with a nice white head.

S- Nice nose. Bready, complex, notes of dark red grapes and figs

T- Bold flavor. Hits the sides of your tongue with a bit of acidity. I get a lot of grapes and dark fruits on the first sip giving way to a bready, beery flavor.

M- Think but not too thick on the tongue. The 11.2% alcohol doesn't escape through your nose or really hit you.

D- I really enjoy this brew but with 11.2% alcohol if I drank this all night it would be a short night. Nice complexity of flavor.

Mudpuppet, Dec 06, 2007
4.93/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a rich ruby brown with a 1 inch tan foam head that dissipates to a ¼ inch layer. The aroma is present as soon as the bottle is opened. It is a predominantly malty aroma with overtones of vanilla, cloves and dark fruits. The aroma and flavor are very complex. Taste is moderately sweet, nicely balanced by the bitterness of the hops. Feels great in the mouth and does a good job of hiding the 11.3% alcohol.

I have not yet tasted a better balance augmented by such complex aromas and will have to revise my review of Chimay (Blue, which I really like a lot). This is better.

CDBeerDisappear, Dec 04, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Wow is probably the best word to describe this. Poured this from a brown bottle into my tulip glass. Looks a lot like cola, though has a thin head that dissipates, but leaves marks on top that look like cirrus clouds. Quite beautiful to watch, actually. Smells dreamy of sugars, fruits, spices. Absolutely wonderful. However, the smell was just a warm up for the taste that followed. Delicious Mediterranean fruits, such as plums, figs, and raisins make appearances. Not a trace of bitterness. Was absolutely perfect paired with bleu cheese. One of the most rewarding experiences I've had in beer drinking. There's no way I won't have this again.

atrus138, Dec 03, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured a 11.2 oz bottle into a Chimay Chalice. Poured a dark brown with a 2 inch head, left very little lacing. Aroma is of figs, vanilla and other dark fruits. Taste is figs and candied fruits. Sweetness is a bit sugary at the tail of the taste. Also there is a bit of an alcohol kick. Mouthfeel is medium bodied. With such a high ABV it can definitely catch up with you pretty quickly.

hwwty4, Dec 02, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -15.1%

Bottom line: I've spent some time in Belgium and this is my least favorite Quad. I greatly respect the brewers, but I disagree with the high marks of this one. I might be the only one... Pours like coca-cola into a glass. Has about 1/8 inch of head that quickly dissipates. The smell is average for Quads: vanilla, hint of coca-cola (yep, I'm crazy), and figs. The taste is heavy for a quad. Definitely not on the sweet side: vanilla, some nuts, and then a heavy alcohol finish. Mouthfeel is great. Feels like heavy cream. This is a very drinkable beer.

wardough, Nov 29, 2007
4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a murky cola brown, cloudy, a good size light tan head recedes slowly. Aroma is large dose of caramel malt sweetness, some, raisins, apples, and alcohol soaked sponge cake. Hints of chocolate and ginger are evident in the aroma as well. Taste follows with a nice chocolate, vanilla, and caramel, nutty dessert bread flavor, nice and yeasty, some apple flavor before a biting alcohol warms and drys the throat in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium in body, a peppery effervescence of carbonation tingles on the tongue and builds to a foam in the mouth. Definitely one of the best quads I've tasted, perhaps not my personal top but right up there. Alcohol comes on strong at first but gradually the bite dulls, nice and dry, very enjoyable.

hoppymeal, Nov 25, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from 33cl brown bottle into A Westmalle chalice. Poured a murky blood brown with little particles of yeast that escaped the bottle. Smell of dried fruit mixed with a sweet malty aroma thats carmel bread. Taste of raisins, cherries, some candi sugar, and a alcohol finish that was almost ethereal. While the flavors are bold and refined they still cannot make 11.3% abv not get you hammered pretty quickly.

sfoley333, Nov 21, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

I sampled this beer in a restaurant in queens, and it really popped out at me with a quality that I haven't experienced in a while. I usually don't have a "go-to" favorite style, or beer, but this one deserves consideration everytime I have a choice of Quadrupel or any Belgian trappistes for that matter.

I poured the reddish-brown liquid into a chalice and immediately sensed a strong bready aroma and warming alcoholic presense in the back of my nose.

One of the more alcoholic beers that I have tried, and, as expected, it cut through the intense malt and yeast flavors, actually balancing them out well.

This beer is excellent as a "stand-alone" experience, and I am sure that it will "stand-up" to just about any flavor you decide to pair with it.

tenorvoice0739, Nov 16, 2007
4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a cloudy brownish red with a huge tan head.

Smells of sweet toffee and dark fruits.

Taste is dark fruit and sweet bready malt. Alcohol warmth is present.

Overall this is a very good quad. Tasted side by side with a westy and definately liked the westy better. That said this is a great beer and easier to get.

Monsone, Nov 13, 2007
4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

Saw this beer on the shelf and figured I would give it a go, again. I had tried it before and was not overly impressed but let us see how far my palate has come since then.

I pop the top and the beer attempts to escape me by overflowing. I didn't lose much but some did manage to find its way to the counter.

Big tan colored head as I pour. I am talking three or four fingers of head in a Chimay Chalice. This beer has a "nutty" smell to it as well as some malty aroma. First taste indicates a slight warming alcohol that I would expect from this beers strength but not too over the top. This is creamy and nutty (vanilla maybe?) as well as a little fruity, if that makes sense. After getting 1/2 way through this bottle I must admit that this beer is strong. I am feeling this alcohol but I am enjoying it so I guess it is all good.

Overall: This is a quality product. The taste profile is very complex and I am certain that I would pick up some different flavors if I tried it again. Trying it again is a must for me.

dough, Nov 12, 2007