Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
dren

Indiana

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%

Pours a very dark brown with a fizzy head that is all but gone now. A lot quicker than the 6 and the 8.

Smells of banana chips hit me as I poured the beer and now I get more of a sweet malty smell with some alcohol in there. Dark fruits and some flowers.

Dark roasty sweet and malty up front. A dry tart finish. You can certainly feel the alcohol in this one. Warms and a slight sting in the back of the throat. Slight bitter hops in the aftertaste. A tootsie roll flavor in there if you took out the sweetness. Some dark bitter chocoalte as well.

A full body beer. You can almost chew through it, yum. Very carbonated like the other two. It cuts the alcohol bite somewhat.

I like this the more I get into it. At first I was slightly disappointed but now I'm loving the beer. I'd buy this again. I'd like to age it a few years to see how things pan out.

06-06-2007 20:56:37 | More by dren
khiasmus

South Carolina

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Thanks to Westweasel for the trade on this one.

A- Very dark brown with two fingers of cream colored head that remains at a quarter inch and laces a bit for the duration of the drink.

S- Mmmm. Rich, wonderful. Sweet malty goodness, a bit of nutmeg, some raisins, molasses, sweetbread, banana, black cherry, licorice, dried pineapple, alcohol, yeast, the smallest touch of soy sauce, and so much more, it's dizzying. One of the best smelling beers I've ever had in front of me.

T- Initially malty, followed by raisins and white bread, along with many of the same notes that I noticed in the nose. Wonderfully complex. The finish is of dark fruit and alcohol, but not unpleasant.

M- Smooth, chewy, silky, medium carbonation, and a warming alcohol finish. perfect.

D- Even though it's so complex, it's so good that it's highly enjoyable, and very drinkable.

06-04-2007 02:02:30 | More by khiasmus
BuffaloBill91

4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

I was happy to find this at a local pub - but 9$ a bottle -ouch.- It costed more than my lunch that i had with it...but it was worth it to try this one... bottle shows 10 01 12 which i guess means it is pretty fresh- I would like to try it again after aging it 6 or more months- just to see the difference in taste-except I dont know if I could resist to urge to drink it for that long.

If there is anyplace this beer is lacking it is in appearance- It looked a nice brown with a cream 1 finger head that hung around--it had a good deal of what looked like pulp in it-- but I guess those are yeast flakes..never really noticed them in any beer before-anyway those made me not want to give it a higher rating for appearance... Then the perfection started - the smell on this top notch smells fruity - definitely grapes - tastes extremely complex there must be 10 different fruits but it took me a long time with many sips to place the main taste- I think it is figs- this has to be one of the best flavor blends I have ever tasted it is not to sweet, not to bitter, not to strong, not to light...this beer is hoppy and has a good amount of carbonation and gives a almost tongue numbing effect along with the alcohol heat--- the real story of this to me was how the alcohol on this one goes right to your head---even the tiniest 1st sip and you can feel it warm up your head like a shot of whiskey would- never felt that from a beer before not even a imp stout or barley wines with higher abv--at the same time the 11.3 abv doesn't effect the drinkability in the least--it just adds heat I felt no "bite" at all like some other reviewers said-maybe its just a different batch-- drinks more like a 5 or 6% I would say super drinkable- expense is the only reason I sipped it- These monks know their stuff- the beer even seemed to have have a bit of jolly blended into it to me.. best one Ive tried for sure. wish it was sold by the case instead of the bottle..

05-31-2007 10:57:41 | More by BuffaloBill91
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

Trappistes Rochefort 10 pours a deep brown with a thick, creamy head that lingers for quite a while. Aroma is ripe fruit, chalky yeast and sweet malt. There is a sweet, almost flowery characteristic as well, not the typical floral hop aroma. Taste is amazing, dark fruit, esters, and sweet malts. The finish is sharp, with a hop bite. Alcohol is present, quite spicy and very warming. There is a strong yeast character in the aftertaste. This beer is so complex its hard to pull out all the individual flavors.

05-31-2007 02:26:26 | More by ericj551
onehomesickalien

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

This one definitely deserves its top ten rating. I have never had a better quad, period! There may be one out there, but not one I have easy access to.

A - Beautiful rusted brown with a thick tan head. (Lasts all the way down. Heavy settlement observed when poured.

S - Very nice fruit, hops and malt smell that is not overwhelmed by high alcohol content like most quads I have tried. This is a very balanced but not overly scented beer.

T- Exceptional. Many think of this as a strong tasting beer. For its style I feel that it is incredibly smooth for a beer with a 10%+ ABV. Hops and roasted malts are fairly strong. Alcohol after-burn is highly present but does not take over the taste.

M - High carbonation and medium body. A little gassy. This one will get the burping going if you do not let it settle for a few.

D - Many say this is a sipper. I consider it more of a beer to savor!
A bit expensive, but well worth the experience.

05-30-2007 01:38:43 | More by onehomesickalien
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.15/5  rDev -8%

A - Poured a deep orange brown with an enourmous light tan head, requiring multiple pours to finish. Absolutly tons of carbonation, evident from streaming chains of bubbles. Awesome long retention reulted in significant lace. Looked awesome.

S - Smell was insanely fruity, and filled with tons of spice and delicate aromas. Biggest apparent were aaples, grapes, pears, and fig. Smell was otherwordly though, very very good.

M & T - Wow, I had to wince it was so strong. Alot of alcohol present in this one, became a bit of a distraction to all the flavors held inside. Once you got past that there was a huge flavor profile, lots of fruit and spice with a significant amount of bitter and sour notes on the back end of it. A slight hoppy dryness in the finish, but hardly noticeable.

D - Overall this is truly the defination of a huge beer. This was really a big sipper and I struggled my way through it. It was very good, and massivly complex, however just too strong, and hot with the alcohol to truly be enjoyed right now.

05-30-2007 01:00:34 | More by mikesgroove
Poppypitbull

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

a strong dark tasting beer but it's the king, period.
goes down a little rough, very hoppy but an overall smoothness to it that is not supassed by anything else. Mouth feel is strong and so is the after taste. definitely not a start out beer but one that deserves to be treated with respect and honor!

05-29-2007 17:31:53 | More by Poppypitbull
mwagner1018

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

I have been waiting to try this one for some time now...I had purchased a bottle with the intent to let it sit for about 5-6 months...the wait was well worth the end result...

A- Nice deep, dark, rich chocolate brown. Nice 2-3 fingers of camel colored creamy head. Nice sustained layered lacing down the glass.
S- Absolutely incredible, I poured this beauty out into a goblet, leaving the hints of sediment in the bottle, taking my nose to the bottle opening, I breathed in the amazing deep, warm, fruit induced, spicy apple bread....wow...malt, everything is balanced, not too overpowering, just right.
T- Rich, bold, creamy head, nice biting alcohol/carbonated tingle in the back of the mouth, smooth down, especially for a strong 11.3%. Once again the smells and tastes melt together with the intense, spices, caramel, malt, toasted butter nut....
M- heavy in body, but as mentioned in taste, the mouth feel brings great intensity to the throat...but finished warm and smooth.
D- This is a drinkable beer, took me about 45-50 minutes to minutes to finish one bottle, at that pace, it was just perfect...warmed up nicely and increased its smoothness.

Overall my expectations were definitely met with this one...goes down as a great Belgian....

05-22-2007 23:18:28 | More by mwagner1018
BladeRunner

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

(UPDATE) The review below was written after I tried a very young bottle of Rochefort 10. Since then, I had the pleasure to try some aged Rochefort. No way can beer get more complex than aged Rochefort 10. Seriously, buy two bottles and keep one to store away for at least a year and a half.
---

Reviewing these kinds of beers is so frustrating, because they are so complex in both smell and taste.

Using a Goblet it appears to pour black, but in the light it's more of a dark brown. The head is very soapy/thick, and slighty tan in color. The lacing is like velvet and retention is phenominal.

I smell sweet bread, with a hint of herbs, and medicine.

Just like St.Bernardus the taste is very complex, and maybe even more so for this beer. The taste is very earthy, of sweat bread, esters and herbs for sure. Warmness is there, but not overpowering. It's still a pretty smooth beer all the way through. For right now it seems to be a tie with St. Bernardus, but I will need to sit down with the two at the sametime, for a better comparison. Another winner!!!

I love the tingly attack it brings to your mouth. It almost feels like a wave of bubbly carbonation, that finally settles down to a smooth finish. Awsome!!!

Drinkability is always subjective when it comes to such strong, and complex beers like Quadrupels. So, just take your time, and enjoy every little detail of this beer.

05-21-2007 19:24:14 | More by BladeRunner
Redwood21

4.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Let me say this is a re-review, i tried this beer early when i didn't have a quite acute palate, or well experienced...however you want to put it. I think that these Belgian ales take some time to love, but once you do , you get it, i am leaving my old review below as context:

A: still agree with below great!
S:smells like a strong red wine, berries and fruit that have been macerated are pronounced, very distinctive in the "Belgian realm"
T: ok i must have been on crazy pills or something, this beer is very great and complex, im still not the biggest fan of belgian ales, to wine like, not "beer" enough as odd as that may sound. this beer is wine like, its sweet, smooth and delicious, i cant knock it for tasting like another beverage, its delicious my original review added up to 3.7, but i believe i was wrong and glad i dropped the money to try again this is a good beer

Ok so im not a huge belgian fan to start, but based on the hype of this beer, and others like it i was sorely dissapointed. that said it has its strong points.

A: Strong point. nice dark wood brown color with a sticky creamy head that was great. must admit i was impressed

S: alcohol and cough syrup...not so great imo

T: also very alcohol and syrupy there are some subtle flavors maybe a roasted coffee(very faint). one thing that i can say is the flavors are layers and pop out from behind corners(so to speak) however i just didnt really liek them.

M?D: not great, i like strong beers but not a fan of this beer to be honest. obviously im in the minority so give it a try to see what you think, maybe belgians just arent for me.

05-19-2007 05:05:16 | More by Redwood21
brendan13

Australia

3.68/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured into chalice a dark mahogany with a 1/2 inch head that slowly reduces down to a thin whisp on top.
Very complex aroma but mostly I smell chocolate & caramel & some dark stewed fruits. There is also a very faint uncooked cookie dough aroma.
The alcohol comes through a lot more in the taste, as well as some spice. The malty & fruity flavours are there too.
I didn't find the mouthfeel as heavy as what I was expecting, but good none the less. Taste lingers.
Quite a decent beer but you have to be ready for the quite strong alcohol taste. This is the only thing that would put me off drinking this on a semi-regular basis.

05-18-2007 12:00:14 | More by brendan13
JackWeizen

Rhode Island

3.85/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours to a nice strong "chocolate milkshake" head, that slowly shrinks, but never disappears. The color is very dark amber with a bit of haze. Aromas of banana, alcohol, and caramel come through with a light undertone of brettomyces culture. The taste comes through to me as dark whole grain toast with some sweet, but very dark rum/molasses notes. I get a very strong yeasty flavor that I associate with homebrew. This beer is very dry, and very well carbonated. It will linger after each sip and reveal new sensations. For what it is, it is very well crafted, but I find it a bit too much for my tastes.

05-18-2007 00:38:25 | More by JackWeizen
genog

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%

Can't believe I have never submitted a review for this beer: It is one of my favorites.

Pours a rich mahogany dark color that leaves a tan head that remains throughout most of the sitting.

Smell is of roasted malts. Very subtle dried fruits?

Taste is where this is always an experience. I have had about 4 of these in the past year, and I always find a different subtle note I did not remember from previous tastings, chocolate, dark, and sweet, fruits, malty, I could go for another one right now

This is a very carbonated, mouthfeel that lingers on my tongue.

I usually try to keep two of these in my cellar at all times.

05-17-2007 20:20:05 | More by genog
rallison

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Cloudy dark brown with a 1 finger semi-fizzy off-white head that kind of sticks around.

S: Dark fruits, caramel and yeast.

T: Nice. Sweet-ish dark fruits, raisins and caramel. Nice Belgian yeast kick, with just a bit of wheat character. A bit of rum in the background. Altogether, nicely balanced.

M: Nice and lively. High-ish carbonation keeps this relatively light, especially considering the alcohol.

D: Extremely drinkable. This drinks like a 6-7% beer.

Highly recommended. A classic.

05-17-2007 06:57:17 | More by rallison
SaltyLime

Colorado

3.53/5  rDev -21.7%

I found myself dissappointed again after reading the reviews and then finally finding this bottle and eagerly taking it home.

Appearance - dark brown, thick and hazy like a broth with a bubbly head.

Smell - very fruity and lively. light malty background.

Taste - to me, it was strongly reminiscent of banana taffy, except mixed with a cognac. weird and unique flavors, would like to try another bottle to compare.

Mouthfeel - smooth, and creamy full body.

Drinkability - Easy drinking, does not feel like a 11.3 ABV at all.
Would like to try again.

05-14-2007 16:43:44 | More by SaltyLime
flexabull

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a dark brown color with a big fluffy white head.

Aromas are spicy, bright, floral, sweet, and bubblegum like. This beer has a very complex and interesting nose.

For such a huge beer, this surprisingly light in flavor, but still quite complex. Up front, the flavor is bright and crisp, with excellent carbonation noted. Beer then settles into a malty creamy backbone, with a baked apple flavor, and bready biscuit notes. Finish is tart, but also a bit sweet and dark sugary.

Mouthfeel is excellent, carbonation is about as good as it gets.

Drinkability is unbelievably good for such a high ABV beer. It is so tasty, light, yet complex, and super easy to drink. Wow... what a great beer! With that said, I still have to give a 4.5, because it is still a beast.

This one came to me from nathan15 in the BIF race. Thanks!

05-13-2007 06:41:03 | More by flexabull
Delerium

Maine

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

This is a big beer. It's well balanced, and when poured into a snifter, it presents a huge head with wonderful lacing. Dark, dark redish brown colour, full of mollases flavour, a bit of spice and fruit notes, with a delicate hop-tone to it. Perfect balance of carbonation which extends to the pleasant mouthfeel of this beer. Five stars for sure, highly recommended. Chris

05-12-2007 20:36:54 | More by Delerium
KingG

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

Relatively fresh bottle.

Served at cellar temp and poured into my Olg Guardian 10oz glass.

Appearance is very good. Dark brown beer with a fluffy, thick, sand-colored head. Ton of lacing in the glass. Visually inviting.

Smell is exceptional. A lot going on here. Banana, bubblegum, walnuts, sugary malts, Belgian yeast, pepper, figs, sweet dates and ripe guava. Amazing smell.

Taste is exceptional. everything i smelled i tasted as well but with much more in the figs and sweet malt department. One of the most complex beers i've ever had.

Mouthfeel is exceptional. Rochefort 10 dances all over the tongue and cheeks greatly. Carbonation is perfect; lively but not overly so. Finishes warming.

Drinkability is exceptional. Never has a beer with 11.3% been this easy to drink. I could drink this all night without a second thought.

Overall:
Possibly my favorite Belgian beer. If you haven't had it yet, what are you waiting for?

05-11-2007 03:47:58 | More by KingG
jmalex

4.6/5  rDev +2%

Yesterday I had the 8, but today is the piece de resistance! I've been sitting on this for about 6 months, and for my birthday, I get to drink it (though 3 days late). Best by date: 10 08 10

APPEARANCE: Pours an opaque deep brown with barely any highlights. The 2-finger light beige head is large-bubbled and shrinks to a solid cap. The head now has tremendous staying power and is something to marvel at.

SMELL: What the 8 lacked in aroma, the 10 has in waves. The heat of the alcohol is very apparent but not the most prominent. Belgian malts, caramel, and especially brown sugar dominate the nose. A bit of fruitiness is present and even some citrus as it warms, but yeastiness is hard to find. Big and impressive. It lets you know you're in for one heck of a treat.

TASTE: Yeasty, dark, and powerful leads into sweet and fruity. The finish is slightly hot and dry but very clean. Truly a masterpiece. I imagine this beer as one with the strength and power of a championship fighter, yet with the dexterity and grace of a ballet dancer. Simply stunning.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium-full bodied with a perfect carbonation. The dryness at the finish is the only detractor.

DRINKABILITY: Amazing. Yes, it's obvious there's alcohol in here. You can smell it, you can taste, but you can't feel it. It's very hard to believe it's as high as 11.3%. What a wonderful beer to sit down with and relax. I'm in no hurry tonight

The monks know their stuff. There's no doubt about that. I'm incredibly thankful that I was able to drink this tonight - especially since hearing that it's becoming harder and harder to find.

05-08-2007 23:31:18 | More by jmalex
Erdinger2003

Iowa

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a thick syrupy dark dark dark brown, almost black. The head gets up to 1/4 inch with some good hard pouring towards the end. The head mostly goes away, but the lacing stays around and it's a good strong lacing. The smell is very sweet smelling and lots of dark fruit smell. The mouthfeel is very carbonated and the alcohol presence is noticeable, but not off putting. Flavors of candy sugar and sweet sweet plum greet you with a medium-full body. The mouthfeel is still smooth. Overall, this is a favorite friend of mine that I will have always.

05-05-2007 02:32:06 | More by Erdinger2003
BretSikkink

Mexico

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

Reviewed shortly after Rochefort 8. Interesting to note that 8 is 7.5% and 10 is 11.3%. Consummate quadrupel, black hole of a beer with a big foamy tan head. Only shows signs of being brown when held to light. Good retention, lacing is immaculate. Overall a marvel to look at.

Major spicing, big dark fruit aromas, some lighter estery character and some serious alcohol featuring a phenolic bite. The yeast is soft, full, and inviting, offers up aniseed and a little bitter chocolate.

Okay, seriously, 11% is serious business. But underneath the sharp peppery bite of alcohol is a smooth operator. Huge sweet malt (rum alcohol here), raisin flavors on the palate, smoked as well as caramelized malt, just like the 8 also has some minty dextrin action. Holy complexity, it's hard to get everything from the tongue to the internet. Full, herbal mouthfeel, offers some clove, more of the liquorice from the nose, molasses or something similar, huge warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel is smoother and creamier than the 8, full body with high viscosity. Perfect. So rich and decadent.

You could bring anything you want to the table with this boy, but it will bring down all but the richest of flavors. I threw some fresh Wisconsin sharp cheddar at it, cut a couple of rectangles of seriously funky Chimay cheese, and
pulled out some aged Danish blue; none of them came close to overwhelming this quadrupel. Very impressive brew all the way around, must-try for a wide demographic of beer drinkers.

05-02-2007 05:59:46 | More by BretSikkink
letsgopens

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Trappistes Rochefort 10 Quadrupel embodies all that a Belgian Ale should be. The dense tan head holds very well, leaves a nice lace and it's deep cloudy, woody-brown color possesses cider-like qualities. When held to the light red/amber highlights are revealed.

The bouquet gives off a summery fruity (light and dark) aroma with strong hints of citrus and apple. This quadrupel has incredibly complex flavor elements including citrus, prune, date, apple, malt, molasses, vanilla, and an understated (in a good way) bitterness.

The mouthfeel is full and smooth with a nice bite and an earthy pulp like quality than makes for a very enjoyable texture. It's hard to describe just how good this beer is: phenomenal. A must try.

05-01-2007 05:17:26 | More by letsgopens
Gmann

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a deep murky brown color with a short tan head that left a solid ring as it dissipated.

The aroma is of prunes and fig and a heavy caramel scent. Almost smells buttery. Some solvent notes in the end.

The taste is bold, nice roasted malt flavor up front. Kind of has a pumpernickle breadiness, some dark cherry sweetness, earthy undertones, almost a cigar type flavor. Noticable caramel and toffee flavor going on. A bit of a boozy bite in the end.

The feel is well bodied with active carbonation, leaves a bit of a twang on the tongue. Creamy feel. Sweet on the palate though has some earthiness to it to help balance.

A very good quad, I could be able to drink a few, though the alcohol will get me. Nice and interesting balance.

05-01-2007 00:40:08 | More by Gmann
dickieb

Rhode Island

4.6/5  rDev +2%

I was quite happy to come across this one. Poor’s a deep cloudy mahogany, with very little light passing through and a big almost soda like head. A sweet smell with spicy and banana tones. A very complex taste that I cant even pretend to understand with a pleasant bite of alcohol. This was worth the $6 I paid for it, and certainly one of the best I have ever had.

04-29-2007 17:11:14 | More by dickieb
Backer2004

4.28/5  rDev -5.1%

The easiest of the trappist beers to find here, so why not drink one that's been cellared for a year? Pours a deep mahogany color with solid cream lacing, more brown with the end yeast sediment poured in the glass. Lots of plums, fruit, caramel, a bit hot (could cellar even longer to mellow out with no problem). Great smell as it warms. Worth the five bucks, no doubt.

04-29-2007 03:13:59 | More by Backer2004