Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
deejaydan

3.6/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ya know, for all the hype... I was kinda let down. Pours and looks like iced tea. No head whatsoever. Aroma is pretty nice, smells of raisins and a hint of something like Capt. Morgan rum. Taste is, well, kinda bland. A bit sweet, some alcohol is present. Nothing great, just good. Mouthfeel would be better if there was more carbonation. Maybe Belgians just aren't my thing. Maybe this was a bad bottle?

09-14-2004 01:51:10 | More by deejaydan
HardTarget

Bottle inspection: Best by Dated bottle (21-10-09), serving temperature suggestion (54-58 F) and an Authentic Trappist product symbol.
Aroma: I shed tears. I’m unable and unworthy to describe this aroma. Take hard fruit candy, marshmallows, roses, licorice, pepper, and bubble gum and blend them. Some fruity flavors as well, raisin/banana, melon, rum soaked fruitcake, exotic spices and a hint of Juicy Fruit™ as well. Something about the smell says “new” like a new toy or a freshly opened Christmas present. I’ve smelled this beer for 10 minutes before tasting it now, it is just intoxicating.
Appearance: Black, with an odd greenish brown/tan color coming out in bright backlight. A creamed coffee head has patiently waited for me to keep smelling it. It started out at a good finger, now about a quarter, which lasts the hour I savor this gem. A small dot at the center of my goblet shows a small feed of very fine bubbles. Thick obscuring tight knit lace is painted on my glass as I work my way down.
Flavor: Have they genetically created chocolate melons yet? Where a chocolate covered honeydew melon doesn’t sound great, it is the closest I can come to the major tastes I encounter. The chocolate is more of a chocolate milk taste and the melon has an orange bubblegum quality. Grapes and pears play a supporting role in making this beer work, as well as a mild mint flavor. At the half way point, I start to note a mild alcohol taste, but it only serves to enhance the other flavors.
Mouthfeel: So creamy, so smooth; Liquid silk. Fairly dry with a clean finish that cools my lips as it evaporates. Deeper into the beer, my mouth, face, throat, neck, upper body and tummy all have a nice, fireside warmth.
Overall Impression: Words fail me, this beer literally brought tears to my eyes. I saved this beer for my 200th review, and I’m afraid I’ve reached the end of my journey. I want this beer and no other. Thank you BA and Alström brothers for helping me on the journey. There is a world of complex tastes here that I could spend a lifetime exploring. I could drink this beer the rest of my life and die a happy man. If you are lucky enough to see this beer on a shelf somewhere, damn the torpedoes, buy a case! This is my first straight 5 beer. It works on all levels.
Mad props to stonecrusher for rocking my world.

09-02-2004 07:41:37 | More by HardTarget
Denali

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

Package: 33cl brown bottle.

Presentation: Had a bottle of this at Anam Cara in Boston, MA.

Appearance: Dark brown opaque color with tan head that thinned down but still laced nicely.

Smell: Sweet aroma of alcohol soaked raisins and grapes.

Taste: A wonderful mix of sweet raisin flavors followed by strong bitter peppery flavors. The flavors danced in my mouth back and forth between sweet and bitter throughout the flavor timeline. Very enjoyable and zesty multi-dimensioned taste.

Mouthfeel: Outrageously smooth with a good carbonation feel. Wow.

Drinkability: This went straight to my head after the first sip. It is so delicious and interesting that I would have had many more if not for the high ABV effect.

Comments: A very enjoyable big beer with multi-layered flavors. Outstanding.

08-30-2004 00:46:24 | More by Denali
PartyHatjo

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

My God, I now know I will visit Philadelphia more often. Monks rules! I think I'm going to keep calling until they get Westy in...

Anyway, onto the review

Appearance: Poured in a Chalice. Brown, with a thick, rocky tannish head. Cloudiness in the body. Head lasted for the entire glass...ample lacing.

Aroma: Good, intricate malt aroma. Raisins and figs seem to come to the forefront, with a fruity apple character providing a background contrast. Caramel maltiness present throughout.

Taste: Slight figginess initially, fading to a sweet caramel apple flavor. Prominence flavor of raisins/dates from the malt backbone. Alcohol provides a nice warming character that compliments the sweet fruitiness of the brew.

Mouthfeel: High alcohol, a bit lacking in body, for my tastes (with the amount of alcohol present in this brew)

Drinkability: If I didn't have a talk to go to, this would have been a repeat performer there and then, regardless of the $10 price tag.

08-26-2004 02:32:19 | More by PartyHatjo
marburg

4.03/5  rDev -10.6%

New thoughts: I'm knocking this down a bit. I've had multiple bottles of this recently, and this beer sucks. Well, at the very least, it's not the same as it used to be. It's still OK, but much of the complexity is gone, leaving sheer size in its place. Size has its rewards, but that's not what this beer used to be nor what it should be. What used to be spices, brown sugar, and bitte plum skin leading to a strong alcoholic finish is now just sweet booze. I've heard that the aging/lagering period on this is a fraction of what it once was to help them keep up with demand. Is this true? If so, I have no doubt that's the cause of my newfound Rochefort rage.

Originally reviewed 7/24/2003 (4.45 total score)
From that review:

Mahogony color with a nice fluffy head. Definitely caught glimpses of sediment sliding out of the bottle into the glass. Aromas of prunes, bitter plum skin, and alcohol. Flavor begins similarly ripe but pushes into a peppery, alcohol-dominated finish. Very light hints of oak and vanilla dance around a bit as well.

This doesn't even remotely hide the alcohol content. It celebrates it. A delicious offering when it's all said and done.

08-25-2004 00:54:54 | More by marburg
SeanChouffe

New Mexico

4.78/5  rDev +6%

Second Review:
Pours a dark opaque brown with a thick, creamy, tan head. The head dwindles and leaves lacing that is thick and clingy; CO2 only visible along the edge of the head. Aroma is malty, roasted, spicy and some hints bubblegum. The flavors are sweet, roasted, fruit, spicy. Sweet start with a tart middle and a dry finish. Mouthfeel is full bodied, smooth and effervescent. A definite warming presence of alcohol. A great beer with a lot of character; complex but not overpowering.
Well-balanced and intense without being over the top.

First Review:
Presentation: 33cl brown bottle with freshness date of 26/08/08

Deep brown color a light brown head with signs of light carbonation. The head diminished to a fine layer quickly leaving a nice band of lace around the glass. Aroma is initially astringent and wine like, but more complex smells and flavors emerge as the beer warms: fruity bubblegum notes, dried fruits and caramel and an earthy background. Flavor is complex and full: sweet fruity and caramel start with a quick tart middle and a lingering tangy hop finish. Mouthfeel is full bodied and syrupy with an alcohol finish and a surprising amount of effervescence.

08-14-2004 04:04:54 | More by SeanChouffe
imblane

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

This bottle had a best by date of 14Jan08. Poured a deep, hazy brown, in my trappist glass, with a small head, which quickly dissipated, leaving a thin, creamy layer, along with moderate carbonation. I left the last 1/2 inch in the bottle, as it contained the majority of the sediment. Smell was warm, doughy bread, with raisins, prunes, alcohol, and a hint of coriander. Marvelous. Medium palate, with a lively carbonation. Flavor was dark fruits, similar to the smell, with a warm, moderately strong, alcohol bite and a mild acidic finish. Great stuff!! I can get more of this; however, at $6.99 for a 33cl bottle, I will limit my intake!!

08-05-2004 06:05:45 | More by imblane
Hunter

Arizona

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Finally found a 330 ml bottle of this for under $7 (thank you AJ’s!) and decided it was time to dive in. Allowed the beer a few minutes to warm to recommended drinking temp of 54-58 degrees F before opening.

Despite a careful pour a huge head the color of coffee with cream poured out, three fingers thick, and it wasn't going anywhere. Beer itself is a dark brown-red, reminiscent of cherry-cola. Nice lacing effects.

Aroma is less potent than I suspected it would be. There’s a subtlety here. Hops and candi sugar, maple, and mulled wine come in later, esp. after warming. There’s a lot going on in there, but it’s almost too subtle. I would have preferred some stronger notes, but I'm nitpicking.

The taste matches the aroma, meaning it’s wonderfully subtle. The alcohol is the most prominent on the initial sip, but as the beer warms in the mouth strains of plum, dark berry, even brandy come out.

Mouthfeel is smooth and satiny, despite the level of carbonation. Finishes dry, almost sherry-like. The taste of alcohol lingers a bit on the tongue but it’s not unpleasant. I see myself warming a glass of this in my hand during the darkest months of the year.

If the Trappists are as correct about religion as they are beer, we non-Catholics better sign up for Catechism!

07-17-2004 22:21:46 | More by Hunter
mschofield

4.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a dark mahogany, topped with a one finger crackling tan head. Lacing was beyond a sheet, it was a wall that fell down the glass above the level of the beer.
Served it at 14 degrees Celsius as directed by the label.
Bread, sugar, flowers, spice aroma. Also peach and tangerine.
Fruity, sweet tasting, a bit of a wheat or hay note. Spicy, floral, tobacco and candy notes.
I'm torn on the drinkability, couldn't drink a lot of it, but it's a sipper I could drink one of this in the same timeframe as 2-3 weaker beers.
Full bodied, tingles the lips.

07-09-2004 00:30:08 | More by mschofield
meathookjones

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

330ml bottle. This poured out a cloudy brown color with reddish highlights. It had a decent sized tan head that quickly dropped to a coated of bubbles that left subtle lace around the glass as it was consumed. There was quite a bit of sediment left in the bottle after the pour as well. The aroma smells of malt sweetness, various fruits and a bit of an herbal earthy tone to it. There is also a couple of notes spiciness to the scent and a couple of other smells that were not identified. Leading the way in the taste is a fruity sweetness that is also accompanied by a doughy malt flavor and slight bit of spice. It has a bit of a dry finish and a buttery taste going on as well. Very refreshing to sip on this warm day and no trace of alcohol anywhere. Mouthfeel is rich and about medium to full in body. It goes down very easy and is a very balanced beer. A truly all around excellent beer, highly recommended to anyone. With the many complexities to this I will defiantly be having many more of these in the future.

06-30-2004 12:53:19 | More by meathookjones
koolk

Australia

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Deep brown with low carbonation and a thin head that leaves quickly.

Complex aroma (in no particular order) - sweet malt, anise, pepper, dark maraschino cherries, chocolate and various other 'unidentifiables'.

Sweet front palate, followed buy a strong spicey alcohol kick that lingers with a little bite for sometime. Boy, does this warm you up! More dark fruit flavours on the palate than the aroma, with a very dominant pepper flavour. Creamy and long, this is impressive.

My only down point is that the alcohol is still a little out of balance. But, I guess thats the price you pay for all that flavour. Cheers to the Belgians!

06-15-2004 03:47:06 | More by koolk
egajdzis

4.78/5  rDev +6%

Best by: 14-11-06... Poured a cloudy brown color with a small tan head and that left nice lacing on the glass. An intoxicating aroma of fruit (mainly cherries and apples) some pepper and butterscotch as well. Chocolate, plum, grape and currant were indeed noticed in the flavor. Alcohol seems to linger alittle on my lips and the tip of my tongue as well! But all in all this in a great brew, and I wish it wasn't so expensive!

06-13-2004 20:47:28 | More by egajdzis
cypressbob

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

330ml bottle

Along with 8 other specially imported beers, this was the first I tried

Pours with a dark, viscous body. Thick, heavy sediment lies at the bottom and floats around the glass. Foamy tan head, fizzes and erupts to form an inch to 2inch head.

Smell, rum , raisins and other dried fruit. Strong malty fragrance, flowery aroma and a thick, heady aroma of herbs and fruit.

Taste is phenomenal. Esters of dried fruit, bananas, peaches. Strong malty alcohol kick, but smooth as it could possibly be

As far as belgians this is is unbeatable, a fantastic brew and is one of the best things I have ever tasted, as far as the beers i've tried, this one is perfection in a bottle, a piece of liquid art

---

Since the first time i've had this with a creamy brie, chunky houmous, a selection of anti pasto and ciabatta, it all worked very well

06-11-2004 17:13:43 | More by cypressbob
kindestcut

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

Note: This beer has been aging since August 2003, so any variations of flavor are as a result of its age.

The Rochefort 10 is the stronger brother to the Rochefort 8. It's very similar in appearance and aroma. It's the flavor that sets them apart.

The Rochefort 10 pours a very dark brown with an active head. The tan head rises slowly but forcefully to the top of my glass. I have to wait for it to recede before I finish the pour.

The aoma is quite spicy. I detect the same rum aroma as I did with the Rochefort 8. At forst taste, it seems similar, however, the fruitiness gives way to a distinct alcohol warmth. It is to be expected of a beer that is 11% ABV, however it is incredibly drinkable. Unlike some high alcohol Belgians I have had, this one hides its alcohol better than any I have sampled. It's a stealthy little devil.

All in all, this is a wonderful beer. I would love to end my meal with one.

06-04-2004 03:14:29 | More by kindestcut
diablo14

Australia

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

rochefort 10 needs no introduction to the seasoned connosieur. it is, to put it simply, one of the very finest brews on the planet across all styles. magnificent in all categories.

exquisite brown/red/purple like color with a rocky but not too intense head. very easy going fizz happening within. the smell is quite mellow, but complex. rich burnt toffee and chocolate aromas meet up with stone and dried fruits, and a dash of spicy elements also joining in. the taste is just sensational. sweet caramel intensity with plummy, raisiny notes, some apple and pear, a little chocolate, and finishing off with a blast of cinnamon, star anise, cloves and some traces of oak. dryish hop finish pulls everything into order perfectly to finish out what is truly a magnificent drinking epxerience. so incredibly balanced, smooth, strong, but easy to drink. no real trace of the huge ABV, especially if this is the nightcap after a fair session. its beers like this that make those trappist monks the sorts of fellows youd like to have working in your local brewpub.

this is one of those beers that you just have to try before you depart this frail existance. it may not be everyones cup of tea, but good golly, its a champion brew in anyones language. its the most expensive bottle on the shelf by a long way, but worth it to the last drop. a monument to beer and brewing is rochefort 10.

05-31-2004 13:28:20 | More by diablo14
yankeeheel

Maine

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a really dark brown with a small but active tan head. Settles out in to a nice thick sheet of lace.

Smells wonderfully fruity with a heavenly yeast background.

Extremely balanced as it passes the palate. Starts with a bit of plum and apple. Turns grainy and almost rye in it's middle. Finishes with a nice bisquit flavor. Not the most flavorful quad I've had.

Texture is quite evident with that grainy slick mouthfeel predominating.

Super smooth and drinkable for such a high ABV. Another great belgian sipper.

05-31-2004 00:22:01 | More by yankeeheel
frank4sail

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Best by 091208. Tasted in my trusty Wesmalle goblet.
Light brown and ruby highlighted look in the goblet with a dense tight light tan head. Very attractive. Sweet bread dough and dark caramel smell with hints of crushed raisens as well. Deep dark sour plum and pear taste upfront is then followed by a white pepper, allspice, and cooriander finish. Nice very smooth fuller mouth. A beautiful sippin beer!

05-17-2004 02:24:22 | More by frank4sail
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

I love me some Trappist ale and believe me folks this is a damn good example of one. Appearance: Deep murky amber brown mahogany nice finely bubbled tan head leaves a nice bread rising like thicket of head even after dwindling a bit, and the lacing is intricate and fine belgian style all the way. Aroma: Candi sugar, cloves, layers of complexity bombard the senses with some chocolate doughy bread notes, anise, fruit (over ripened fuices flowing). Taste: Awesome slightly tickles the nose with a slow alcohol burn on the first sip, and after that just ease in and enjoy the experience of sampling this fine brew. More cookie dough, yeast cakes, anise, chocolate very dark chocolate, and lucious fruit around the edges herbal hops evident. Mouthfeel: Sticky texutre but smooth and perplexing full bodied fine carbonation. Drinkability: A true godsend constructed in an Abbey can't beat this great brew, pricey but mindblowing awesome.

05-15-2004 05:55:50 | More by WVbeergeek
Andreji

Colombia

3.1/5  rDev -31.3%

Ok, ok, everyone, spare your critiques and eyebrow raising. I'm also asking myself "what went wrong?" in regards to this beer.

But I don't think just because a beer is "Trappist", or "Top __" I should follow peer pressure and overrate the beer. Because it's a matter of taste, like everything. The date was OK. The pour was ok (in a Rochefort glass even, for the style of it), and the procedure as well. The first glace- small fizzy head, caramelly colour, reminded me of the better memories of beers like 'maudite' or 'trois pistoles' which I so enjoy.

But one whiff to sense the alcohol and yeast started decaying my perception of it. But still, seemed spicy and valid to drink. I went right on, and the overwhelming alcohol, poorly hidden, as well as the excessive, inadequate abundance of sweetness mixed with an oily mouthfeel repulsed me (slightly, not completely), and dropped my judgment immediately. Sad, I held this one til the last minute here in paris, unpurchased, waiting for a good surprise. I'm sticking to Chimay et co.

05-11-2004 14:35:24 | More by Andreji
kmcnair

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a deep brown, orange, amber color and makes a thin, yet condensed bubbly white head. Thick lacing down my Chimay goblet. Odor is rich of prunes, raisins, figs, very chocolatey... very nice. Flavor holds true of the boquet, very spicy, pruney, roasted chocolate malts, hint of currant and an alcoholic bite. Mouthfeel is medium to full, warms the pallate as it goes down, leaves a syrupy coat on the throat. This is a very drinkable beer, but like any Trappist should be savored... I think Rochefort 10 would go very nicely with a fine cut of beef.

05-06-2004 07:19:31 | More by kmcnair
oggg

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Sampled in a red wine glass. The beer initially poured with slight chill haze -- a murky grey brown, that warmed to a brandy-ish color with more clarity. A good sized tan head frothed up but faded quickly to just barely cover the beer.

The aroma was intoxicatingly chocolately. Earthy, musty. Fig. Subtle roasted/toasted grains. Alcohol apparent.

When cold, the carbonation was a bit stinging, but after warming, it was still brisk but brief. The chocolate from the aroma fills the palate as advertised. There are roasted notes and an earthy flavor. It's tremendously rich, smooth, and sweet. No hop presence.

The finish is oily but with a mild dryness. There is a huge amount of warming alcohol throughout. This along with the roasted flavor lends some astringency to counter the sweetness.

This is a highly warming sipper. It's like drinking chocolate except so much better. Not sure why this is a Quadrupel, I would've guessed Belgian Dark Strong. Very delicious.

04-30-2004 07:48:07 | More by oggg
beefytee

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

Was served this beer at "The Gingerman" in New York City. I paid an unbelievable $15.00 for this 11oz bottle. It came straight from the fridge, so it was a bit to cold at first. The waitress had an awful pour generating zero head on the beer. I forgave her because she admitted it...she had a whole tray in her other hand. After letting it warm a bit more I poured the remainder of the bottle in and was able to salvage a bit of a head.
Dark brown, a little cloudy
Sweet pleasant medicinal smell

The first taste was about what I had expected. Very close in mouth feel to the Westy 12 but even sweeter. I found myself wishing for a bit more bitterness about half way through the beer. Bananas...
Raisins...
Currents...
And the beautiful nuttiness of the yeast were all in my mouth.

A beer I would drink after a meal or with a plate of fruit and cheese, definitely not with a meal.

Great beer, will get it again if Westy is not available.

04-27-2004 12:40:24 | More by beefytee
Zorro

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 33 CL bottle with a best before date of 22 07 08.

Pours a mildly cloudy ruby red/brown brew, no head at all probably because of the alcohol content.

Smell is fruity and spicy with the smells of malt, figs, plums, cinnamon, pepper and 20 other things I can't name.

Taste is mildly sweet and flavorful, you can feel the alcohol of this one numb your tongue a bit. Warm fruitiness wraps your tongue in waves of complex sugars and subtle waves fruits. This is a sipping beer that keeps giving you new flavors the whole time you sip it.

Mouthfeel is good.

A pleasure to drink, but at $8 for that one glass bottle not something I can consume often.

04-27-2004 04:00:13 | More by Zorro
rajendra82

Georgia

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Ruby red body is slightly hazy as I am careful about not pouring the yeast dregs in the goblet. The foamy head is about an inch and a half tall after the pour, and sticks around a while, being fed by very fine bubbles from the medium carbonation beneath. Nice lace is evident around the glass. The aroma is deliciously fruity, with plums, cherries, raisins, and licorice notes. The taste is delicately balanced between fruitiness of the malt and spiciness of the yeast. There are also notes of brown sugar on the palette. The mouthfeel is very creamy due to the fineness of the carbonation. It is incredibly smooth and drinkable with almost no hint of the underlying strength. This is a picture perfect mold from which other Belgian Strong Dark Ales are cast. But as usual, the imitations pale when compared to the brilliance of the original.

04-26-2004 01:49:53 | More by rajendra82
Skidz

Wisconsin

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this for my birthday in a mixed 6 pack. Bottle is numbered 270508.

Pours out dark brown, sits a murky, chocolate colored brown in the glass with a big, light tan head that really sticks to the glass and a good thick skim stays on the beer the whole way down. Awesome.

Smells yeasty, full of breads and malts. Caramel tones along with some diacetyl top it off and produce a very unique, earthy aroma.

Tastes initially sweet with that caramel and butterscotch pulling out in front. Mild alcohol and a slight bitterness finish this off. A nice tasting beer, and the alcohol blends very well inside the other flavors.

A smooth, clean, refreshing body along with some moderate carbonation make this one all around good beer. Easy to drink. Delicious.

04-14-2004 01:40:33 | More by Skidz