Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +0.4%

A - Dark dark brown in color. Thick creamy brown head with light retention. Decent lacing.

S - Warm, spicy alcohol aroma. Also a smell of dark fruits and a dark sugar sweetness.

T - Spicy, warming alcohol kick greets you up front. Quickly fades into a spicy sweet dark fruit taste of plums and raisins.

M/D - Smooth, creamy mouthfeel that is well carbonated bringing it to life in your mouth. The alcohol is very high, but it is so darn smooth and easy drinking.

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Purchased at Washington Street Purveyor, Lexington, VA

A - Guinness-like, only with a better, rocky head and excellent lacing.

S - Raisins, caramel, banana, a touch of mocha and malt.

T/M - World class in every respect - outstanding. Very complex, especially as it warms. Dark fruits, cocoa powder, a touch of earth; light, supportive carbonation that pull it together perfectly. Wow! Soft creaminess that straddles density and being light without being either. "Balanced."

D - Very drinkable but given its ABV one would be quite limited. This isn't the type of ale to have out on the deck in summer heat, but it would be splendid pretty much any time, anywhere.

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a very dark brown with a stone colored khaki head. Aroma is malty and has hints of cherry brandy, dark fruit, chocolate and a slight almond nuttiness to it. The mouthfeel is full-bodied. Pleasant maltiness upfront. Chocolate and dark fruit arrive midway. Finish is warming, almost like a brandy. Very complex beer. One that's perfect to sit with, enjoy and contemplate.

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

It appears to be dark, dark brown on the pour, but there are red highlights if held up to the light. I was shocked by how much fizzy head gathered on top. The lacing was absolutely gorgeous, lasting throughout the drink, repeatedly coating the glass in new layers. There's a lot going on in the nose, with dark fruits leading the way. A definite note of alcohol too.

This is my 2nd time trying the brew, and I'm tasting the alcohol a lot more this time. In fact, that's the only thing keeping it from the five I gave it before the notebook was with me. There's a lot going on though, with the fruit and caramel tastes almost masking the alcohol. At this point, it tastes very good, but the Rochefort 10 that exists in my memory tastes slightly better, if that makes sense.

Creamy and sweet in the mouth, but with more carbonation than I expected. Still feels like a treat though. The ABV prevents me from downing several bottles, but boy, with that taste, I'd like to.

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

A- Dark, hazy brown with a nice off-white head. I thought I was pretty careful on the pour, but some sediment got into the glass anyway.

S- Wow, intense and rich. Hugely malty, with a buttery richness akin to an old English barleywine. Dark fruits such as dates and raisins are evident, as well as a medicinal quality. Fantastic, complex stuff.

T- A roasted quality comes through in the taste, with a touch of coffee and bittersweet chocolate in addition to the dark fruits. The familiar spicy and medicinal Belgian qualities come through as well, winding their way through the taste and ending up lingering on the finish. A touch of bitterness is apparent, but not much.

M- Smooth and velvety. It's full-bodied, and the carbonation is just strong enough to give it a good bite.

D- The alcohol is noticeable, but it's hidden well for its strength. I'd have another small bottle.

This is a fantastic beer, plain and simple. There is a reason this is rated so highly on this site. I may not be experienced enough in the tasting of fine ales to be able to appreciate all of this beer's many facets, but I know quality when I encounter it. This beer is of the highest quality. Perhaps not the best beer I've ever had, but it's definitely up there. If you have access to this and have not yet tried it, I suggest you do so immediately, if not sooner. Highly recommended.

3.65/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle purchased locally. Poured a cloudy purplish-brown color with a medium light-brown head. Aroma is malty with a hint of brown sugar and sweet spices. Mouthfeel is kinda fizzy. Flavor is heavy in alcohol, with some fruit and it. However, this isn't that good. I think I got a bad bottle, because it tastes kinda rough and yeasty (and I poured it correctly). I will give this another shot, because this one wasn't anywhere close to the other trappist beers I've had.

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

A - dark brown, cloudy, auburn, thick head, lots of lacing, rustic, very nice.

S- sweet, malty, slight alcohol smell

T - sweet, malty, raisins, bitter, lingering aftertaste, slight carbonation, delicious.

M - thick, creamy, smooth

D - 1 bottle is about right for me, has a warming effect, I'll drink on special occasions.

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Wonderful fruity aroma, raisins, sugar, syrup, and some malt notes. Appearance is a deep dark almost black shade of red with a huge off-white head. Flavor is great, but I had one about a year ago, and it was layers upon layers of complex flavor. Ever second, a new taste would push itself to the forefront and overwhelm your taste buds for a second, then another delectable taste would push its way through. This bottle is different. It's more straight forward and not that complex menagerie of flavors, but it still is a wonderful tasting beer. I was looking for the beer that I tasted so long ago, so I guess it disappointed me a little. Great Quad.

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Absolutely fantastic.

Dark brown body with absolutely ridiculous head retention. Slowly fades into chunky lacing.

Smell has a bit of phenols, ripe fruits and sugar.

Taste is rich, light alcoholic tang. Sweet malt is dominant but not overpowering. Dark, ripe fruity character. Silky smooth on the way down.

Pours a murky brown color with tons of fizzy head, a little patchy lacing, some sediment goodness floating around in my tulip.

Smell has a malty aroma, some banana and clove, some other spices that I can't make out, slight woodiness aspect along with some dark fruit, complex yet simple at the same time.

Taste is far too carbonated at first, like a cola, so I decided to let it sit for a while and warm up at the same time. Taste is dominated by the malt with loads of spice kicking in, slight alcohol warming sensation but overall it's quite well hidden, decent dark fruit presence, carbonation is still a bit high but more manageable with waiting.

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Had this in the fridge for a while but wasn't ready to crack it till just now. Here we goooo!

Deep, hazy ruby brown with a huge lid of rockin' light light brown fuzz.

I can't even believe all that the nose is throwin' at me. Bits of chocolate, planets full of orchards of fresh, sweet, dark fruits and pears, a years supply of bubblegum, and Belgian yeasty overtones.

Taste delivers all that and more; a light peppery spice and pleasant, warming, brandy attempt to wind it down, but a huge, soft, fluffy-fuzzy, ticklingly-tingly, carbonation just lift it right back up and leave me wanting more.

Absolutely outstanding. Now that I've tried it there is no way I will be able to see this beer without snatching it up and immediately drinking it. Cannot believe I waited as long as I did to try this.

4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 0,33L bottle into a glass.

A: Dark, opaque hazel brown. I can't really see through it, but I can see tiny streams of bubbles rising up along the edges. Pours with a thick, creamy head that dissipates to leave impressive lacing.

S: Oh man, this is pretty intense. Nutty, malty, fruity complexity... I am kind of at a loss for words in terms of breaking this down into manageable units. I immediately identify raisins, apricots, figs, plums, and a woody, bark-ish scent. I could just sit around and smell this all day, but I suppose I should get to the business of drinking the thing.

T: The taste delivers the complexity promised by the smell. The initial hit is kind of vinegary, but it calms down into a cacophony of fruity/earthy flavors. Also some caramel in there. The slight hop tartness is balanced by a residual sweetness that lingers on the back of the palate.

M: Surprisingly clean given the ludicrous alcohol content. There is a bit of alcohol burn in the back of the throat, but it goes down silky smooth and strangely light.

D: This is some dangerous stuff. I could definitely put down a few of these with no problem - very enjoyable and very drinkable, especially for its style.

4.28/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a dark brown with a large, out of control tan head. Almost a gusher. Excellant head retention with heavy lacing.

Aromas of brown sugar, figs, plums, and alcohol esters.

The taste is sweet, fruity, toffee like with alcohol warming on the finish. Complex flavor profile.

Medium body with a nicely matched carbonation gives a creamy mouthfeel that suits the style well.

A complex beer that is worthy of the praise it receives. The high ABV, cost, and availability lowers the drinkability.

4.78/5  rDev +6%

Bottle - 330ml purchased from Bottleworks in Seattle, WA

My 2nd time drinking a Rochefort 10...fantastic beer, from start to finish, better than St Bernardus Abt 12 IMO (UPDATE: and judging from the "Best of BA" looks like you all agree!)

A: very dark beer molasses in color with tones of orange. Very dense thick creme/tan head. Coolest lacing I've ever seen, layering the inside of the glass after each sip like the different layers of earth over the ages. Head stays till the very end.

S: very sweet, caramely and toffee smell. some earthy and nutty essences...

T: Can't even tell this is alcohol, and it's rated 11.3% ABV!!! Incredible! This is even more smooth and easy to drink than St Bernardus Abt 12. This is a sweet, medium carbonated beer that just goes down crazy smooth. I detect dates, figs, maybe some dark fruits like plums. Nutty with very little spice mixed with mild hoppyness but true to quad style the sweet maltyness dominates the palette.

M: perfectly carbonated, perfect malting and sweetness. thick creamy head and a very easy drink. Makes my mouth feel like it was created just for this beer.

D: this is an extremely deceivingly high ABV quadrupel. As delicious as this is (5.0 taste) I'm giving it a 4.5 simply because it's so potent...I hate to do it, but as far as drinkability, there will be a limit. 1-330ml bottle and I'm already buzzing pretty good.

All in all this is an amazing beer, and probably my favorite quadrupel, maybe even more favorite beer period! HIGHLY recommended!

4.18/5  rDev -7.3%

Trappistes Rochefort 10
11.2oz brown bottle

A: snifter. pours a deep, dark rich mahogany with some flaky sediment floating around. nice tan head on top with a good retention rate and a good amount of lacing.

S: nice fall fruit aromas, apples, figs, plums. some spices as well, mostly clove and nutmeg. some strong alcohol esters.

T: strong flavors all over this. plums, raisins, some bananas and tons of clove. only downside is that the high alcohol is really coming through in the flavor.

M: mild to high carbonation. medium to heavy body. very smooth though for 11%.

D: very nice trappist beer and belgian quadruple. Absolutely worth a try.

4.28/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured into a goblet. Beautiful burgundy brownish color with a huge creamy head that fades fairly quickly but leaves a good lace.

The aroma is very Belgian. Lots of candied fruit and sweetness. Plum, figs, raisins, and a little cotton candy. The taste is one of the most complex of the Trappists I've had. There are notes of different sweet dark fruits, light hop acidity, and a strong alcohol presence.

The mouthfeel is very silky and a little heavy. Drinkability is somewhat hindered by the sweetness and high alcohol content, but this really is a delicious beer..

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

My first Trappistes Rochfort 10. Trappist glass. Pours a dark brown with a one finger head. Aroma of caramel, plums, raisins, and yeast. Incredibly complex taste. Detect all sorts of dark fruits, caramel, floral finishes. Definitely some vinegary wine notes. Impressive, impressive beer. Gets better with each sip.

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

Purchased at Super Cellar Warehouse Liquors in Avon CT

Smell- strong blackberries and caramel aromas and a classic Belgian style scent that over powers the fruit.

Taste- Caramel up front that doesn't quite over power the beer but gives this brown ale a nice feel. a little tart at finish but quite perfect. The high 11.3 alcohol is smothered by the sweet flavors.

Mouth feel- straight down with no problem, very smooth with the alcohol hitting the back of your throat.

Drinkability- Prob take down 2 before moving onto to a something with more yeast to balance it out

4.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Grabbed this one on the way home having read about it on BA yesterday.

Appearance - Nice, strong deep-brown/black with three inches of head that is thick, but not pillowy. The head retreats after a few minutes, leaving a nice quarter inch.

Smell - Malty, with a hint of nut, and good bit of coffee.

Taste - The anticipated bitterness of the coffee smell never materializes. Instead it's as smooth as silk with lots of depth. A light hop, with a little sweetness balanced nicely with the alcohol finish.

Mouthfeel - Almost creamy. Very smooth, but not heavy. Reminds me of a nice Guinness straight from the source.

Drinkability - Unexpectedly smooth. I could drink this year-round. For such a potent drink, I was surprised. Frankly, I'm glad I bought only one, because I feel like I could easily polish off a few too many.

The color and smell led me to believe that this would be an entirely different beer than it was. Instead of a very malty, coffe-ish drink, it's incredibly smooth and creamy with lots of subtle flavor.

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's been a while since I nabbed some new brews to sample. I've been on vacation for a while and, while my friends and I enjoyed some choice beer, we didn't veer into unchartered waters. All were very good selections--Unibroue, Bass, Hoegaarden, Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat, Ommegang (and also Three Philosophers), Oak Aged Yeti, Gonzo Imperial Porter--you get the idea. I was due for something new and fresh.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 fit the bill, and how. This beer won me over with the presentation--three fingers of tan froth atop a cloudy mahogany body. Dense lacing decorated the Ommegang glass--outstanding. The nose has plenty to like--chocolate, grape, cherry, and a hint of vanilla that emerges later in the taste. Speaking of which, the taste nears a top score with its complexity and prominent flavors. Grape appears first but becomes imbricated under chocolate, caramel, vanilla, and a hearty fruit accompaniment of banana and cherry. It's excellent, all around, and the vanilla finish is not unlike a sorbet on the palate.

As with all fine Belgians and especially the Trappists, mouthfeel is crucial. #10 is no slouch--amply carbonated, never letting down, robust. Were it not for the head slap that the 11.3% provides, this would be a 5 on the drinkability scale hands-down. On flavor and desirability, however, #10 takes the cake, an extremely delicious beer that, like its counterparts #6 and #8, brings complexity and originality. #10 is no letdown, reminding me why Trappistes Rochefort remains my favorite Belgian purveyor of fine beer. Tremendous.

2.65/5  rDev -41.2%

A- Poured nicely until the yeast splooged into the glass. I thought I was pouring the beer better then that. It was a bit of a turn off to the beer. Head is very loose and that of a typical Belgian beer.

S- The smell is fruity with a strong smell of alcohol.

T- The taste was less fruity and more like cured meat. Strong taste of soy sauce and almost salty. I am getting a small hint of dates, and grapes. But very small.

M- Fizzy and very carbonated in the mouth and going down.

D- This is one that I'm not going to buy again. Perhaps I just got a crappy one, or it went bad. Drank right after purchase. I'm not one to pour a beer down the drain, but it is tempting. Then again I'm not one to waste beer, good or bad. I did prefer the Rochefort 8 more. This beer seems very one dimensional. I know I'm rating this beer pretty low, but I've had lots better quads then this.

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a reddish brow with a thick two finger tan head. The head lasted for about 4 minutes untill it shrunk down to about an eight of an inch. Smell is great. Full of spices and alcohol and sweet dark fruit. Taste was equally as good. Has a sweet fruity start with some black licorice mixed in. Then it moves to a carmel malt and alcohol finish. Mouthfeel was exceptional on this beer. The head and carbonation have a lively feeling in the mouth.

3.68/5  rDev -18.4%

330 ml bottle into a room temp goblet at Victoria Gastro Pub (MD)

A - Burgundy to brown, mostly brown. One finger head. Some floaties and sediment.

S - Slightly funky aroma at first, more mellow malty/grainy as it settled.

T - A harsh bite at first, reminded me of Chimay's overall astringentness, but then settled and became sticky sweet. The malt wasn't too roasty. Not a woody grain, but slight fruit hints (cherry?).

M/D - After that sharp first hit, it mellowed into a steady, very consistent sweetness, continuous throughout the sitting.

LOTS of sediment in my glass, not sure if that's part of the deal with this beer or not. Decently flavored but not all that complex (at least my pour). A good beer overall, but personally, and it might just be this tasting, but didn't really scream at me "I am an awesome quad, hear me roar!".

3.78/5  rDev -16.2%

Pored at cellar temp, a hazy brown, with multiple red highlights. A nice foamy off-white head holds for a very long time, leaving a nice lacing.

I guess I expected more from this beer. Decent aroma, fruity, with some unexpected bubblegum, better than most, but I like the Gouden Carolus Xmas more. Same comments for the taste. Very nice, easy to drink, but not very complex, I want more nose for the price of this one. Easily drinkable, hard to know it 11% abv, amazing for that! Just needs more complexness.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Small capped bottle poured into a tulip.

It is hazy, particularly if you pour the thick sediment. It is a glowing brown, with multiple red highlights. A nice foamy off-white head holds for a very long time, leaving a nice lacing.
Nice aroma, fruity, with some unexpected bubblegum and obviously, layers and layers of sweetish maltiness with some yeasty notes.
Medium to full bodied, it is a little on the sweetish side, fruity and malty, along with some spiciness and a moderate alcohol warmth. Very good, but just not at the top of my preferred belgians. Have to age this at least a year, it will probably improve.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort