Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured into a glass chalice.
Poured dark brown - almost black - with a creamy off-white head with what looked like a small cinnamon swirl.
The smell was of caramel, spices, and alcohol. A bit thin - but present.
The taste was near-heavenly. The sugar candy, caramel and alcohol intermingled to make a divine taste.
It was sweet, a touch too much so, and full-bodied. The alcohol added to the taste, but almost over-powered it.
It was smooth and tasty - quite sweet. The alcohol and sugar lingered. A real "sipping" treat.

jwc215, Jul 27, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +6%

a - pours a deep dark brown color, huge tan fluffy head with decent retention, nice lacing, large pieces of sediment suspended throughout

s - yeasty maltiness dominates with nice notes of dark fruit, plum is probably the best comparison I can come up with, only slight alcohol notes there

t - yeasty maltiness once again up front, a subtle fruity sweetness follows with the finish being a nutty bitterness with strong but not overpowering notes of alcohol, very complex, interesting flavor all-around

m - medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, nice semi-dry finish

d - amazingly drinkable for being 11.3% abv, if my head wouldn't start swimming, I feel like I could sip on this all night, I'm not picking up that much alcohol, which is dangerous for a beer this tasty

Rochefort 10 certainly lived up to the hype for me. This was my first experience with a quadrupel and I'm glad I started with this one. I'm glad this is relatively widely available because I'll be enjoying this regularly.

WeisGuy, Jul 25, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into an oversized wine glass. Pours a deep amber hued light brown with garnet edges close to light. A thin white half-finger head slowly gave way to a white ring of sticky lace. Aroma is sweet and earthen, dark fruits, malt, alcohol and warm bread. Taste is complex, sweet and malty, alcohol brings some warming with it's presence, fruitier than the nose inclines. Mouthfeel is rough due to the moderate levels of alcohol and carbonation, medium weighted body finishes off the palate with a crisp dryness. Drinkability is exceptional given the high abv, although far from bashful in it's appearance. Overall, a well balanced and well executed beer.

danielocean03, Jul 25, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -20.6%

Dark and heavy, but with strong notes of fruit on the nose (and in the mouth) , especially bananas. The alcohol is a stronger force than in the 8, and you'll taste it in your mouth and feel it in your head-- at eleven percent alcohol and change, it's nigh on impossible not to. Rochefort 10 seems to open up like a wine or a lambic after a few minutes in the air, and those sweet, sweet beer fumes explode out of the goblet.

If I don't burn in the darkest recesses of Hell for my wicked life, I might still wind up in beer hell for this-- I liked Rochefort 8 better. 10 was too parching and alcoholic for me; those 11.3 points of engine cleaner seemed to overpower some of the subtlety that makes this monk-brew so damned transcendent in the first place.

But I nitpick. Rochefort 10 is easily worth vows of poverty and chastity.
Well, maybe not chastity.

RERATE: I think I hated this more than the review indicates the first time I had it. Also, the numbers are way too high. That said, I liked it a lot better this time. It's still too sweet, too unbalanced, and too hot, but there's some nice stuff going on here-- it's by far the most estery, phenolic example of a super-estery, super-phenolic style, and I really can't get enough bananas in my beer. I enjoyed it, didn't find it totally undrinkable, but this really is NOT as well-crafted as Rochefort 8. I said it and I'm sticking with it.

But I'm glad it's back on shelves in Chicago, mostly because I like seeing it.

kajerm, Jul 24, 2006
4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Body is an deep opaque brown with a very small light tan head that had little retention. Leaves almost no lacing. The 11.3% abv comes through strong in the smell along with the aroma of sweet fruit and some bready malts. In the first sips I was surprised that the alcohol in the nose is not near as evident in the taste. The taste is more of fruit, molasses, and malt. As it warms though, the alcohol starts to become more prevalent. Full body that is smooth and creamy with little carbonation.

Overal an excellent and well balanced beer. I put this one up against the St. Bernardus Abt 12 tonight and in my opinion this one is just as good if not a ittle better.

Fuller, Jul 23, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

A: Deep dark dirty molasses brown. Good carbonation, forcibly removed the beer from the bottle as I opened it. The head fell more rapidly than I expected, but still left a ring around the glass.

S: What a trip. As I smelled this, I kept having flashes of memories but I could not put my finger on what the smell was. 15 minutes went by until the surprising truth came to my mind....PATRON. This stuff really smells like Patron with brown sugar, oak, black currants and sunflower seeds. Holy crap, one of the most amazing smelling beers I've ever embarked on.

T: Begins nutty with some tequila high notes on the tip of the tongue. Mellow notes of soft, ripe fruit tickle the palate and share their sweetness with the other flavors. Then the malt happens. Toffee, dark fruits, bitter chocolate and vanilla bean take control and raise the flavors in intensity till finally a crescendo then gently fading away. The alcohol is present intensely through the entire process.

M: Medium to full bodied with good carbonation. After a few spins in the glass I released some of the excess gas and brought the mouthfeel down to a perfect level.

D: Couple more years on this beer would have done some amazing things. This is a whiskey drinkers beer....full of intense flavors and alcoholic vapors. Phenomenal.

Westsidethreat, Jul 20, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -10.2%

This beer was poured in celebration of my birthday. It has a deep red colour that almost seems like purple or garnet. A tan head with many crags and crevaces formed off the pour and quickly disappeared in what was quite a fizzy display. There are a few shelves of lace left in the aftremath.

The nose is heavy with dark fruit impressions. Grapes, plums, and even some black cherry come to mind as I whiff this. I also detect some alcoholic vapours and a bit of bitterish rind or fruit skin impression. It smells sort of wild and nearly like wine. Some yeasty character shows through true to form for the Belgian sector.

The taste is surprisingly underwhelming. The nose seems much more rich and potent when compared to the flavour. I was expecting the taste to follow the nose in boldness. Instead, it is a lighter assortment of the aforementioned dark fruits and a good helping of chalky yeast quality. The finish becomes a bit dry and helps to squelch the sweet fruitiness that came early on. The alcohol is noticeable, but it is a welcome layer to the flavour package. The malt base is just not as hearty as I had hoped.

The mouthfeel is a bit light just as the flavour is. I find this to be a thin and weakly flavoured brew which is definitely not what I had expected.

The drinkability is good. There is really no element here that overpowers or causes the drinkability to be low. Overall, this brew is a touch disappointing. I may have brought this on myself. Just because this beer is what it is, I had high hopes for it to astound me. It fell short, but it is indeed a great beer with much character.

SupaCelt, Jul 19, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance – I was surprised to see that when I poured this the head didn’t grow insanely. There was about a half of a centimeter of nice creamy tan foam which stayed for a while and left some lacing. The color is a nice dark brown with maroon aspects that is opaque.

Smell – Wow. Absolutely amazing. There is a ton of fruitiness to this one. Raisins, plums, melon, banana, and some grapes all arise. There is a nice rummy scent as well bringing about alcohol. On top of this I smell just a touch of ginger and lots of nice dark sweet malt that accentuate sweetness.

Taste – This one is a little sweeter than it smells and this isn’t in any way a bad thing. Sweet malts dominate off the bat and alcohol is more present as well. While attempting to decipher what else there was in this beer I definitely got a taste of yeast too. The finish was all of dark fruit just as it smelled.

Mouthfeel – Great. Creamy and the carbonation doesn’t bite. A little bit of stickiness is left in the mouth but it’s insignificant.

Drinkability – Pretty good. I didn’t have any troubles here. Burns a bit from alcohol but there is too many good things for that to affect it overall.

Simply another amazing Trappist Beer. Didn’t expect anything less here.

Orrshow, Jul 18, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

Aroma is absolutely out of this world! Plums, cocoa, dough and alcohol are all present in the nose. Taste is sweet and bready with a slight amount of fruits and yeast. Despite hiding the 11.3%abv considerably well, the alcohol is definately present as you can feel the warmth. The high alcohol content hurts drinkability. You know, this is a damn fine beer that really cannot be done justice by words alone. This is without a doubt one of the finest beers on the planet that I have tried.

cjgator3, Jul 17, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

A: 4.0 N: 4.5 T: 5.0 M: 4.5 D: 4.5

Highs: Nose, taste, mouthfeel
Lows: Anemic head

After trying numbers 6 and 8, I went into this tasting with some trepidation. Previous Trappistes offerings had proven too elusive for my palate.

Pours a very dark reddish-brown, virtually opaque. One finger head of tan that quickly fades, leaving fair lacing behind. Nose—ah, what a bouquet. Very sweet with bananas strongly present. Sweet malt and probably even syrup. Taste… again, wonderful. Initially very sweet banana, yet the sweetness is quickly balanced, stopping short of being just sugary-syrupy. A bit of alcohol, dark fruit/plums, and a nice clean finish with maybe some light hops. It’s a lot to wrap one’s tongue around; I’ll definitely have to try it again… and again. Mouth is just about perfect, lightly syrupy/semi-creamy, smooth, and perfect little bubbles that gently caress the tongue. Drinkability is excellent.

Overall: Damn, I think this may well be the best beer I’ve yet tried. Extremely well integrated, about the only thing I can ding it on is the lackluster head. It will take a few more sessions to fully appreciate the flavor complexities. An excellent brew, go out and get one TODAY!

jettjon, Jul 12, 2006
4.33/5  rDev -4%

Pours a dark brown color with a huge frothy head that left layers of sticky lace on the glass. Aroma was very malty and caramelly with notes of banana, dark fruit and some herbal hop notes in the nose. Taste was quite rich and malty. Lots of flavors of malt, dark fruit, figs and chocolate balanced with a nice hop bitterness. This is a pretty full bodied beer, almost a meal in a glass. Amazing that the alcohol is so well hidden at 11.3%. This makes for high drinkability and can sneak up on you if you're not careful. Recommended, but not for the faint of heart.

rodrot, Jul 07, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

Presentation: 330mL brown bottle. Looks like this bottle is good till April 5th 2011, an "Authentic Trappist Product"

Appearance: Pours a beautiful rich, deep mahogany with a brownish hued head that leaves a wonderful lace as it dissipates. Yeasty sediment you don't notice until your final sips...

Smell: Earthy, sweet rummy prunes and banana cotton candy.

Taste: Lightly carbonated mouthfeel. Sweet, alcoholic upfront that lasts well after it is in your belly. As you drink, the alcohol is less noticeable and leads to wonderful complexity of dark malts, fruits and spices. Very smooth and drinkable for such a potent beverage.

Overall: A wonderful beer, one of the best I have ever had. An excellent warmer to sip and savor. You WILL want to have another, when the time is right....

jarsh, Jul 07, 2006
Photo of
4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

Dark brown, hazy in color. Moderate head, which faded fairly quickly. Smell was sweet and malty, with raisins and other fruits coming through. Taste was very complex, and takes a while to sort out (like all night...) -- raisins, port wine, chocolate, bubblegum, pepper at finish. Wow, what a beer. The mouthfeel was thick, with very little carbonation. The alcohol provided a nice warmth after a few sips. I think I would have enjoyed this more on a winter evening rather than the summer, but that was my issue, not the beers.

, Jul 05, 2006
4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Appearance- Leaves a thick, robust two-finger head. I made sure to pour the yeast in my glass. Cause the sediment, in my mind is part of the beer, regardless of what others say. PLus it's hard to waste a beer like this. It ads to the head since the sediment left flaoting with the foam looks like that cinnamon they put on a frothy mocha a Starbucks. Color is a mix of realy roasted orange peel and radddish skin. Go figure. Beautiful bubbling and lacing too boot.

Smell- CVloves and bubblegum. Plus the sugary equivalent of Euro toostsie rolls. Like really fake chocolate sugars.

Taste- Starts with some Belgian malts. Lightly roasted and mostlt toasted. These malts help give the feeling of bubblegum on the first sip with a mix of black licirice and blck Himalayan tea. Not a lot of bittering hops descernable from the taste.

Mouthfeel- Great crabonation and a clean yet undeniably warming finish that lasts for a great amount of time. Lots of complex flavors make a pretyy damn good melange of flavors all over my tongue. The monks know what the hell they are doing.

scruffwhor, Jul 05, 2006

Alcohol behind banana
Some bittersweet peaches

Eleven point two ounces
Not enough
Ask the monks for twelve next time

Quite approachable
But not easy on the pocket
Sweet departure

wuntrikpony, Jul 04, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -12.4%

I enjoyed this with some other Trappists at a Trappist tasting. It's "lesser" the Rochefort 8 I had and had a greater taste of alcohol but actually less. One thing I've tried in the past is "rolling" or mixing the yeast up before I pour. I know many prefer not, but I want the whole experience and I try to distinguish a difference with and without the sediment. Onto the 10.

A: Pours a dark brown, with little foam quickly dissipating.

S: The Nose has the mix of yeast and malt, with the hint of caramel and bananas.

T: I love this trappist for its strong presence, tasting the ETOH but not too strong to take away from the rich flavor of the yeast and malt mixture and the carbonation, with a touch of pears and ETOH in the finish.

M: The ETOH is subtle so it is still smooth.

D: Everyone must have a good trappist once in a while, but don't abuse the purity of these "miracles" in a bottle.

Elbows Up,
Adam

bodybyadam, Jul 04, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured a murky brown into a chalice with a nice dense tan head. Aroma was of dark fruits, sugary. Taste started out seeming pretty complex, mostly dark fruit like figs, a hint of brown sugar, but the more I continued drinking it, the less I liked it. The sweetness started to seem cloying, and there was a bubblegum taste that started to overpower the beer as it warmed up. Personally, I liked the Rochefort 8 better, and for the $$$, I probably won't be buying this one again.

LarryV, Jul 01, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

pours out of the third liter bottle dark crimson with a tan head. lots of sediment floating about. laces the glass with fine rings. sugary aroma with holiday spice. smells like x-mas pudding with a kick.. yummy. taste is a float your boat deliciousness of dried and wooden maltiness with a balance of divine yeasty intervention. there is the expected alcohol kick with a spicy rapture. body is full with a heavenly mouthfeel that brings the drinker close to nirvana. drinkability is dangerous.

budgood1, Jun 25, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- 3/4 inch mocha colored head...the head stuck around for quite a while....very frothy. The body of the beer was a dark brown with lots of bubbles. Extremely thick lace that really coats the glass.
S- Roasted malts, very nutty, and a slight sweetness of sugar or possibly caramel.
T- Malty nutty body, light toffee notes. Right before the finish there is a hint of hops, but they are not too pronounced. The finish is strong with alcohol, and this is reasonable being that the beer is 11%abv..there is also a kind of sweetness.
M/D- This beer reminded me of wine in the mouthfeel, except that it had lots of bubbles....it really coated the toungue....Drinkability....the alcohol could have been hidden a little better....This was pretty good, but I was surprised to see it is in the top ten.

jameaterblues, Jun 22, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Stepping up to the big times with this one. My first quad that I know of.

11.2 oz bottle strange dating stamp that doesn't mean anything to me.

Poured slowly into a snifter, dark amber to brown color with a dense tan head. Great lacings and incredible head retention.

Rich sweet aroma rises with strong fruit tones and noticable estery alchohol. Has a port like strength to the aroma with floral and spicy tones, - incredible.

The taste is potent and rich. Strong estery dark fruit, plum, grape, a slight nuttyness, vanilla and clove.

Mouthfeel is full bodied with strong carbonation to hide the slickness. Tartness toward the end with a slightly bitter and dry earthy finish.

Wow, this is beer? Amazing what those monks can do... Awesome depth and complexity of flavors, probably more that my pallate can do justice to. Definately not an everyday drinker but I plan to keep a few on hand for special occasions.

kgotcher, Jun 22, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

Somewhat murky brown in color. Good sized head that receedes quite fast. Big, sugary aroma-reeks of raisens and brown sugar. Malty with a definate alcohol tinge to it. The alcohol comes off quite spicy. Slight earthiness in the flavor. Good body-quite thin actually-obviously fermented out quite well. Dangerously drinkable and very enjoyable.

lackenhauser, Jun 20, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Heh, pretty funny that I had this in a Duvel snifter too! What a cool looking little bottle. It looks very nice in the glass (the beer not the bottle) with a nice dark red/brown color and a small head.
It has a very nice smell to it too, can't really pick up much alcohol which is kinda scary!
At least they couldn't hide it in the taste which knocks down the drinkability a bit. I like this but boy does the alcohol show up...
Mouthfeel is also impacted (to me) by the alcohol, this one isn't particularly subtle, Boy does it taste good though!

surfadelic23, Jun 19, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Made a good pour into a Duvel snifter. Dark brown/black body, light brown/tan head, a bit chunky. Head disappears after a bit, but if you swirl the glass it will reappear to about 1 finger.
Smell of bananas hits foremost with chocolate, caramel, plum and currant coming through.
Taste was great. Hard to separate flavors; chocolate, raisin, biscuit, malt, some hops and spice.
Alcohol is present but nicely balanced. A kick at first, but you get used to it.

Mebuzzard, Jun 19, 2006
4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a deep, rich brown with a tan head and not alot of lacing. Good but not great. Smell was sweet and fruity with nearly no alcohol, which I thought was impressive, given the alcohol content. Taste was malty sweet with some fruity notes. Alcohol makes a nice subtle appearance in the taste - very warming and slightly medicinal. Some spiciness contributed by the yeast. Hasn't been the fullest bodied beer I have ever tasted, but not weak in this category either. Stands up well to the alcohol. Very drinkable for the alcohol content but is definitely a beer to sip and enjoy.

jhu1995, Jun 17, 2006
4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance: This beer is certainly a true belgain beer unfiltered, nice amount of sediment on the bottom. dark frothy head

Smell: a great smell, fermented apricots and a very fresh spiced smell.

Taste: Very spicy flavor can taste the alcohol but it fades quickly very unique.

Mouthfeel: great, great carbonation. love the feel of this beer.

Drinkablity: I like this beer would love to have them frequently but it is expensive but this doesn't effect the drinkablity rating just FYI.

mclanem, Jun 16, 2006