Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Thank you Vintage wine and beer for excellent deal on the Rocheforts. After the delightful bliss of the St. Bernardus ABT12 and the 8. I was quite curious and excited to get a taste and compare with the best beers I have to this point, I was not disappointed.

Had this in my Corsendonk glass and the pour was nice...
A--nice brown color, three finger head, beautiful beer.

S--Fruity, like fig/apple/cherry, you can really smell the alcohol. I enjoyed the fragrance very much.

T--Oh boy is this a great tasting beer. For the strong aroma it is very smooth and tasty. I thought St Bernardus abt was the best (I have not had Westvletaren...yet) but I am starting to reconsider, kind of like picking 1 and 1a I suppose. I love the caramel aftertaste of this beer. This is really sublime.

MF--like silk, perfect.

D--Heavy freaking duty but so good. I get the impression that more than one of these could really put a hurting on you but I think I would be willing to try. This is probably the best beer I have ever had. I am totally impressed.

garbercury, Jul 31, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Tasted with Bernardus ABT 12. It pours medium- dark brown with moderate head. Not as full-bodied as the Bernardus, it has darker, roasted nut aromas and a more crisp finish. The flavors are more intense with walnut and raisin flavors. The finish is long, with and elegance that makes it imminently drinkable.

maltysfalcon, Jul 30, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +2%

A: A deep, murky mahogany/black color, almost like swamp water, but way more appealing. A thin layer of head lies on top, dissipating to a miniscule ring.

S: A malty and alcoholic aroma, backed up by dark, sweet fruit and a spiciness that permeates the bouquet. Also, notes of yeast.

T: A roasted malt flavor that comes first, and stays on throughout. The middle is where a slight bit of hops becomes barely detectable, as the alcohol is dominant here. The sweetness is noticeable prior to and after the alcoholic taste subsides, and the finish is drying. The aftertaste is a great blend of sweetness and maltiness, an excellent ending to a solid beer.

M: Crisp and bubbly, lots of carbonation. The malt presence gives it a heavier feeling though, and it's somewhat mealy.

D: Wasn't sure what to expect, as I've tried the 6 and 8, but didn't want to hold the 10 to any unwarranted hype or scrutiny. Overall, a very tasty Belgian Quad, and a good choice when in the mood for a sweet and malty option that has a kick of complexity.

CharlieMopps, Jul 28, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -7.3%

Dark brown and very frothy, with sediment.

Pleasant sweet malt smell, improving as the beer is allowed to warm slightly.

There are hints of chocolate that permeate the sweet alcohol flavor.

Light-medium body.

It remains quite drinkable for it's 11.3%.

Overall, tasty and enjoyable.

nafnikufesin, Jul 28, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

I have had the pleasure to enjoy bottles I purchased in the US and Belgium. While it is common to cellar this big Belgian brew I must say that the fresher Belgium bought counterpart is superior as it lacks the oxidation that I feel detracts from the rich flavors of the quadruple. Wherever you buy it from it pours a dark mahogany with a hint of ruby on the edges. The head is not exactly consistent with some I have dissipating quickly while others lingering for a while…either way, it is a slightly dark tan. This is one of those rare brews that show the best of beer can hold its own against the complexities of fine wine. You will certainly notice the strong molasses sugar notes from the candy sugars used in brewing. Plums, black cherry, leather, raisins and hints of roasted malts play on the tongue. The alcohol will not miss the senses as its flavor blends into the overall character and leaves the mouth and throat warm without burning in a pleasant balance that lets you know you are drinking something substantial and brewed with the alcohol balance only mastery of brewing accomplishes.

bensiff, Jul 24, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured into a Westmalle goblet and enjoyed Suicidal Tendencies while drinking it.So far Ive tried Chimay,Orval,Westmalle and the final being Rochefort.I consider it a honor trying these beers made by trappist monks.I have to thank my buddy Jon for letting me try Chimay that one day.Like his analogy about me and good beer.I went from not being able to swim to being a olympic gold medal winner.Sorry bout the reminicing.The bottle was a bit murky so I dont think the yeast settled.

Off white fluffy head and one finger worth of it.Deep red body.I smell nuts and some dark fruits.The first taste is very nutty and sorda fruity and the carbonation is very attacking.Points come off for that.Almost like soda carbonation.Creamy head that falls to a huge patch in the center of my goblet.Nice lacing left on the sides of my glass.This beer taste amazing.The booze is starting to take over...Im glad I dont get a chance to try an amazing beer like this all the time cause it would ruin the fun of drinking this kind of special beer.You can taste the booze in this,being 11+ abv I would think it would be evident.I wanna drink all of this quick but im pacing myself,its amazing.Could the nut taste be the yeast? If not,it really adds character to this beer.Did I mention this beer is amazing? haha I reccomend everyone to try this beer.Thank you Monks for this awesome Monk juice!

MmmIPA, Jul 23, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

I had this in a café in Amsterdam after a somewhat frustrating shopping experience with the misses :)

Appearance: Beautiful dark...daaaark brown. Opaque and with some red highlights. A light tan head that dissapated in a couple minutes to leave a flat top with some yeasty floaties.

Smell: Very aromatic with fruity notes and cane sugar notes. You can tell that it's a high gravity beer simply by the sugary aroma. There is only a hint of alcohol in the aroma, however, as the rest is just fruity, sugary goodness.

Taste: My first taste I was in the middle of a conversation, however I was immediately taken aback by the intensity of the flavours. Prune, raisin, figs, and a nuttiness that I can only relate to chestnuts.

Mouthfeel: Slightly overcarbonated. When I say this, this is a nit-pick, because it was almost perfect.

Drinkability: I ended up not feeling too well after drinking a few beers before this because it was so silky smooth. 11.3% is sooo undetected it's scary. The flavour keeps you drinking and the alcohol keeps you in check at the end of the night. No more than 2 11.2OZ bottles a night, for sure.

Overall: This was the most memorable beer I drank on my trip to Europe. Definately the most flavourful out of the Trappists I got to try(5/6 breweries ain't bad...Dangit Westveletren!!).

Hornet2003, Jul 22, 2007
3.3/5  rDev -26.8%

Appearance - Whoa!!! A HUGE foamy beige head. The head has amazing staying power, and leaves behind a very sticky lace. The body is a failry clear black/burgandy.

Aroma- The head has a slightly soapy aroma. Once you get through the head into the actual beer, there is some malt sweetness with hints of raisens, ripe plums and licorice.

Taste- Starts out immediatly with lots of complex malt sweetness, which gives way to more delicate flavors including dark, ripe fruits, alcohol (including some fusils), and a a spicy, peppery, hot finish. It starts out very nicely, but as the taste progresses through your mouth, it gets to hot and peppery.

Mouthfeel - The high ABV plays a part here, giving the beer a mouthfeel that is light in comparison to all the flavours on offer.

Reasonably smooth and creamy, carbonation is low to moderateMedium mouthfeel. Decent carbonation level. Has a very dry middle.

Drinkability - I'm not real big on Beliums, so I won't dog this, but it ain't for me. If your into Belgians, definately try it.

theopholis, Jul 18, 2007
4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - 4.5
Poured a towering four fingers of foamy beige head. This reduced to, and stayed at around two fingers. The colour is a solid black unless held to the light, where it is near-golden around the edges.

Smell - 4.5
The alcohol is immediately evident, but not overpowering. Other smells include licorice, sweet malt, milk chocolate and liquor soaked raisins. Smells better the warmer it gets.

Taste - 4.5
Wow! It is really impressive how well the high alcohol volume is hidden behind the delicious flavours. I can taste a general fruitiness mixed with molasses, a fair dose of pepper (perhaps a little too much), and a slight woodiness not disimilar to that found in wooded wines. While quite well hidden, the alcohol is reasonably strong, particularly in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - 4.5
The high ABV plays a part here, giving the beer a mouthfeel that is light in comparison to all the flavours on offer. Reasonably smooth and creamy, carbonation is low to moderate

Drinkability - 4.0
I really can't see anyone wanting more than one of these in a sitting, it is really best enjoyed sipped slowly.

OVERALL - 4.45
No doubting this is an excellent Quadrupel, but I did not enjoy this as much as I have before, perhaps because I drank it a little to quickly and should have paid more respect. It was far more enjoyable once I got out some blue vein cheese to go with it. Probably the best beer I have yet to sample, would have scored higher were it not so alcoholic.

LittleCreature, Jul 15, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -17.3%

This beer's red-brown color was rather appealing and was accompanied by a light sour and dried black cherry aroma. This beer was a fairly ideal blend of grapey character and dark dry roastiness. This beer finishes dry and clean in the mouth, although it is a bit boozy. Very good.

BeerBelcher, Jul 14, 2007

I must preface this by saying I've heard a lot of good things about this beer and sometimes when that happens people tend to over critize or under critize said beer. So as much as this beer gets raved over I have to say it was good but not phenominal imho. So on to the review.

Pours from a bottle a murky dark brown and leaves a few yeast particles floating around with a thick tan head that clings to the glass. The aroma is dark pitted fruit, rum raisin, candied fruit, brown sugar, spicy, bready aroma. The taste starts spicy, herbal in nature, a bit sour, dry, fruity, with a warming alcohal finish. Overall a good beer but not worth the price tag of $7/12oz bottle.

Franchise, Jul 13, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

My third time to enjoy this brew, but I'm just now feeling comfortable enough to maybe give this beer it's due justice.
Wow!! This 11.2 oz bottle poured into a Rochefort chalice appears as one of the best I've seen. Dark and thick to almost porter or stout proportions. A thick, creamy head, about a finger and a half recedes slowly and has incredible lace throughout the experience.
Bread and dark fruit dominate the aroma. Raisins and plums mostly and the taste presents caramel and those fruit tones and fresh bread again. Man, trappist monks have got it down! Rochefort 10 is very smooth and thick, almost silky as I sip it. And it's smoothness grows as it warms to room temperature. I would love to sit and go through a bunch of these, but this is one of those that demands more respect than that. One of the best for sure, but not to be over-consumed. Awesome, awesome beer!!!!

chrhowe, Jul 13, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

I tried this beer on July 12, 2007 at 'The Beer Bistro' in Toronto. Unfortunately I can't rate it as high as the St. Bernardus Abt 12 I had last night. Maybe had I tried them in the reverse order things may have been different. Anyway, this poured a dark reddish-brown with a small head (the first contrast with SS). The head disappeared rather quickly. The aroma was very similar with robust bread and malt tones as well as plums. It felt great on the tongue with a full-bodied feel. As for the taste, I'm not sure where it failed when compared to the SB, but it just failed to measure up. Possibly the higher alcohol content which I noticed more in this brew.

cyrenaica, Jul 13, 2007
4.33/5  rDev -4%

A nice brown bottle with some numbers freshness date is still 2011

The appearance is a nice brown color with a creamy head,one of the best beer i have seen.

Smell like brownsugr,honey and some chocolate in it, very nice smell , you will remenber the smell, it gets deep in your nose.

The taste is one to remember forever,honey and caramel are very close to it, some alcohol in there too,but no a hard taste.

It feel great on the mouth, not a hard taste, this is a beer to be enjoy , when you open the bottle you will hope it will never end,will be great with salty food,cheese.

BeerDreadz, Jul 11, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

A damn solid beer all the way around. It is strong in alcohol prescence, but not overbearing, and the silky mouthfeel I have come accustomed to in Belgian ales was definitely there. I had a bottle last night (7/5/07) and it was just as good as the first time I tried it. I used to only be able to get this beer when I went home to the Bay Area, but with the opening of the BevMo in San Luis Obispo, I have plenty of access to this beer, and I can't wait to get more. Definitel recommended.

bradford, Jul 06, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Second time dipping into this brew, remember it fondly the first time, so I hope it stacks up to memory. Pours a deep, dark brown, near black with a creamy head that laces the glass. Brown sugar is the most dominant aroma, with hints of some dark fruits like raisins and a bit of molasses as well. Taste is semi-sweet with pear, plums and port dominating the palate, also a little black cherry. It's a complex beer that goes down smooth with a bit of alcohol to warm you, but not as much as you would expect. All in all, a fantastic brew, a sipper, but a definite treat. I wouldn't get this every day, but it's a one-in-a-while brew.

saintwarrick, Jul 04, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Brewed at the Abbaye de Notre Dame de St. Remy in Belgium by monks, this is a beer that is truly "heavenly." The Trappist monks of Belgium are known for their ability to brew beer and this is definitely a great experience that any lover of fine food and drink should try. Enjoyed this one slowly, accompanied by Gabriel Faure's Requiem to add to the "religious aspect" of this beer's existence.

Appearance: Served in a tulip glass. Pours cola-brown, or slightly darker with a tan 3 finger head that sits delicately upon the brew for quite some time. Yeast is visible and can be served without, but I prefer it in.

Smell: Evolves as the beer warms, and is best at slighly below room-temperature. Spicy with hints of dark fruits, especially plums and faintly of raisins. Alcohol smell is noticable after a long waft, but is quickly covered by sweet chocolates.

Taste: My God... best at slightly below room tempurature, this is one of the most complex beverages I have ever consumed. Immediately bombarded with dark fruit flavors as evidenced in the nose - plum, raisin, hint of red apple, dark grapes - along with a certain lingering spiciness. Tastes like a beautifully aged wine - port maybe? Mid palate is of semi-sweet chocolate, hints of caramel and licorice... perhaps like Sambuca, but not as alcoholic tasting. Finishes smoothly with more of the semi-sweet characteristics coming out and mixing with light chocolate. These are all flavors I experienced at some point during this experience... heavenly.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and velvety. Hits the tongue with a hint of carbonation, but then spreads, coating the tongue with it's amazing flavor, then slowly swallowed, allowing a full evolution of flavor throughout. Warming is the word that immediately comes to mind...

Drinkability: Hits you right in the face with its alcohol content. Very noticable up front, but I'm tempted to get another. A very special brew, to be enjoyed slowly. Not one to pound down.

I want to give this a perfect rating so badly, but I don't think I will ever do that. All I can do at this point is to thank God for creating Trappist monks, and for allowing them to share with us a taste of heaven here on earth.

BucBasil, Jul 01, 2007
4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A- pours a nice creamy brown color with a thick tan head that retains itself fairly well.

S- aroma is of sweet malts, spicy and has a fruitiness to it. smells wonderful.

T- tastes almost like it smells, sweet malts and a slight fruitiness, the high abv is covered up quite well.

M- creamy and full bodied, it goes down really smooth.

D- this beer is amazing! i could drink this beer all the time if it were a bit cheaper. definitley try this beer if you havent yet.

jayfarley3, Jun 30, 2007
4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

I have had this one sitting around for a few months waiting to drink it. Having had and loved the 8 I was ready to go when I popped this one open and gently poured it into my Westvleteren Chalice.

A: Beautiful! It's a plum purplish brown sort of color with a wonderful small light fluffy head that leaves behind a beautiful pattern of lace.

S: Believe it or not, I smell bubblegum. It has a wonderful nice sweet aroma that reminds me of a freshly opened back of bubblegum, grape Hubba Bubba perhaps?

T: Like most quads it has a winy taste about it. Reminds me of a wonderful port wine. It has such a nice sweetness about it. I taste dark fruits like raisins, plums, mixed with brown sugar. The malt backbone that this is brewed around is exquisite.

M: Creamy, Milky, Ultra Smooth. Rochefort got this one right.

D: I have to be honest one and I am done, this is not a slight, it is common with most quads that I drink.

Overall: Great beer. Once again may God bless those Belgian Monks. All beers brewed in a house of god truly are works of god, and are to be admired. I love this beer and could load my refrigerator with it. I have to admit though when it comes to quads I am in love with Westy 12 and would take it over this one any day. I also am a big fan of the Rochefort 8 which I prefer over this one as well. When it comes to Belgian Brews my list is as follows:

Westy 12
Westy 8
Rochefort 8
Rochefort 10

The difference between these three beers is marginal at best. Once again god bless the monks, and enjoy the beer! If you are lucky enough to consume any on the list above you have been anointed.

tpd975, Jun 29, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -10.2%

A very good Trappist. Fruity, sweet (but not too sweet) with a hint of sourness on the back end - but not so much that it's a bad thing. Definitely drinkable. If I see this one sitting on a shelf, I'll probably pick it up again although I wouldn't drive across town to get it.

sterstar1, Jun 27, 2007
4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

From my notes 6/2/2007 pours a two-finger light tan head that fades to a thin layer leaving a good lace. Black color. Caramel nose. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Flavor is caramel and some alcohol, warming, clean finish. Poured from 330ml bottle at 'T Toreke restaurant Antwerp, Belgium. €2.80 ($3.84) best by Sep 27, 2011.

jdhilt, Jun 25, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

I took this following the day I had my Rochefort 8 so basically I conquered 3 Rocheforts in 3
separate nights. The Rochefort 10 is a Quadrupel which is highly acclaimed in the Beerdom and I
definitely agree that it is a great beer. The Rochefort 10 pours out brown black with a nice
thick head with pretty good retention. As with the 2 other Rocheforts, it looks great with a nice
smooth looking head. A strong smell emanates from the glass dropping a distinctive hint of rich
and unique fruitiness, a precursor to a truly complex fruity taste that is to be expected. Also
obvious in the smell is a certain tartness which further exemplifies the already promising smell.
The taste was big on fruits and indeed complex with many different kinds of fruit; naming a few,
I can sense apples, grapes, plums, dates, berries and other fresh smelling dark fruits. The taste
has a certain strength or character to balance up the entire feeling of the beer with a dash of
sweetness. The taste was also clearly mellow despite it being a very strong ale at 11.3 ABV; the
smoothness in the taste bears witness to masterful brewing which well masqueraded the alcoholic
strength. There is significant floral aromas blended with alcholic phenols on the nose and I
found that really pleasant; the slight bitterness in the finish did nothing to detract the
greatness from this beer. The body is sufficiently thick with a clear level of carbonation is
goes in really smooth boasting of great drinkability for an 11.3 ABV monster. The after taste
was another party for the pellates as all the complex fruitiness slowly converges to form a
citrusy, grape and plum like tastes which proves to be fairly lasting. The Rochefort 10 is truly
a great beer. Rocheforts are generally smooth, mellow, fruity beers with great appearance and
great in masking a strong ABV. The general improvement that could apply across the board for all
Rocheforts would be a thicker body and maybe a tad bit of sweetness more.

basica, Jun 25, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

This may be the best beer I've had to date (Still haven't had Westveleteren). Had it out of a bottle into a proper Rochefort glass. The taste & smell were absolutely outstanding. Never have I nursed a beer like I did this one.

This beer is exceptional in all aspects except one - drinkability. Because of the 11.3% ABV, you can really only have one. Aside from that, this beer is fantastic.

jdubjacket, Jun 23, 2007
4.33/5  rDev -4%

Pours with a dense tan head, big at first, about half falls quickly but half remains with good retention. Big, fruity esters up front, alcohol and noticeable tones of bubble gum and banana mixed with cinnamon and brown sugar malt sweetness. Very nice. Flavor exhibits nice complexity that enhances as it warms. Bubblegum, raisins, and a sweetness that balances with alcoholic warmth dominate.

An excellent example of a strong trappist ale. In my area it’s so expensive at around $8 per 11.2oz bottle that it’s only a rare treat, but one that everyone should have at least once.

marksto, Jun 20, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

Setting: On the back patio on a comfortable 70 degree evening. Poured from the bottle into my riedel brandy snifter, and watched the kids play.

Appearance: Pours a dark mahogany with only a hint of clarity and a thick 2 finger fizzy tan head which leaves nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: Wonderful nose that offers dark fruits, fine spices, port, some alcohol and a slight nutty sense. I spent the better part of 5 minutes just enjoying this aroma.

Taste: Fantastic array of dark fruit, nuttiness, buttery burnt malts, a touch of hops and a slight hint of what I think may be banana on the finish. An exceptionally balanced brew which only improves as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and silky smooth. Wonderfully chewy, coated the mouth well as to add to the experience.

Drinkability: The carbonation and complex flavors help hide the ABV with this beer so it is very deceptive and will sneak up on you.

Final Thoughts: First off I would like to thank God and the monks for making this available to me anytime I want one. This is a truly fantastic beer that has monster signature flavors and aromas that are sure to please.

session1979, Jun 19, 2007