Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -17.3%

The last of my informal countdown of cellar favorites leading up to my #300 review...It was going to be this, but I pushed it to #299 instead.

Poured the cellar temperature 33cl bottle into my 70s era Westmalle chalice, the 10 is a dark, deep murky mahogany, with a modest, but thick, creamy tan head that leaves light, scattered lace.

Aroma is like no other, really exceptional. Very thick and rich, sweet, boozy. Lots of brown sugar, molasses, dark fruits and vanilla.

Taste is also strong, but more roast then sweet dark fruit, which are raisins and prunes. Husky, with hints of peppercorn and smoke, this is way more astringent then I recall, with some plasticy phenols and a very boozy finish. It's interesting that this was the first belgian I'd ever had, in some cafe in Amsterdam, and it left such a huge impression on me, that I've always fancied it my favorite beer ever. The last few times I've busted it out for special occasions, I've come to realize that's no longer the case. Still, it's a monumental beer, and will always have a special place in my heart.

The mouthfeel is pretty light for the style, and very creamy and carbonated.

Drinkability is pretty low, not to knock the beer, but it's incredibly rich, strong, and generally expensive and hard to find. Your just not going to want to sit down and drink more then one or two of these in a sitting. In fact, I find myself really slowing down with this last 1/3, with the booze and astringency leaving a lingering harshness on the tongue and all the way down the throat, particularly tickling my uvula. Damn, I need to get back to Amsterdam!

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Had a mini quad tasting with HellsBells24 in April 07. Had this one after the Westy12.

Picked this bottle up at Top Shelf Liquor in Allen Park.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy brown color with a 1 finger tan head. Slightly red around the edges. There is a little bit of lacing on my snifter. This looks very similar to the others.

Aroma: Starts with some dark fruits, nice malts and a slight alcohol burn. There are some winey notes in this too which are very nice. This is followed by dark fruits, figs, roasted malts, and slight cherry. There is some nice yeasty and hop notes in the finish. The aroma is more pronounced as it warms. Can't wait to taste it.

Taste: The tastes are similar to the aroma, but not as noticable. Cherry and dark fruits from the start followed by warming alcohol and some spicy hops. There is a nice malt background that balances all these flavors. Very nice!

Mouthfeel: The dark fruit and malt flavors hang for a bit. This is pretty creamy.

Drinkability: This goes down too smooth for 11.3%. It should be a crime for something this strong to be this smooth. After a few of these, you will feel nice and buzzed.

Overall. This finished ahead of the rest, slightly above the Westy12, Abt 12 and Chimay Blue. The aroma and flavors were a little stronger in this one. Another truely a world-class beer (as were the others). I've had this with just the Abt 12 before and the Abt was better, but in this case this bottle was better. You'll have to see for you self, you won't be disappointed.

3.58/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured into my Chimay chalice. Had this a few weeks ago and decided to post my notes today.

A- Dark cloudy brown body with bright red hues where the light strikes it. A beautiful tan creamy head fades rather quickly and does leave behind a nice collar. Some bubbles can be seen rising to the top and little to no lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- Nose is strong of dark fruit-particularly grapes and cherries with hints of chocolate and sugar.

T- A well balanced dose of cherry, chocolate, grapes, and sugar is upfront with a big malt backbone. Very sweet and reminiscent of cherry cola or root beer with chocolate. The finish is as complex as the initial taste with a big phenolic taste added to the mix. What lingers is a big alcohol afterburn and some sugary sweetness.

M- Amazing and one of the best mouthfeels I have ever experienced. Medium carbonation with the creamiest body that has ever come across my palate.

D- This is overall a decent beer. Great complexity and mouthfeel but it isn't amazing like I thought it would be. I do like it but it is not one of my favorite brews and I was slightly disappointed by this. The big alcohol presence makes the drinkability average. This is borderline barleywine. I would have this one again but I am not in love with it.

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

For my 99th and 100th review I decided to do a back-to-back tasting of Rochefort 8 & 10. Review number 99 was the 8 and this review, number 100, is obviously the 10. Comes in a 11.2 oz bottle stamped with the code L060612 07:59 (?). Drank out of my Rogue Überfest Pilsner glass.

Appearance- Pours a murky russet brown with hues of amber and yellow. HUGE tan head that spills out of the top of my glass. This thing is creamy, frothy, foamy and O so beautiful. Looks like a root beer float. Leaves a great cap the entire brew and foamy lacing randomly sticks all over the glass. Looks exactly like the 8 with a bit more head retention.
Smell- Lot’s of big fruit including hints of apricot, plum and pears. Seems to be a bit more fruity than the 8. Still has the same toffee sweetness from the malt and the farm like mustiness from the yeast.
Taste- Starts out lightly boozy but in the expensive, fine bourbon, top shelf kind of way. Very fruity but with more of a citrus (more hops for the extra ABV??) bite than the 8. Still has the same banana fosters features but with a tad more intensity. Hints of light chocolate and caramel hide in the background with traces of vanilla. Alcohol is covered quite nicely.
Mouthfeel- Has a bit more body and bite than the 8 but still super silky smooth.
Drinkability- This is also a fantastic brew (like the 8) that can be enjoyed at anytime. It’s so super drinkable it almost sucks that it’s over 11%. I think between the 8 and the 10 I like the 8 slightly more. It seems to have a bit more balance and is goes down a tad easier (which is saying a lot). They are both great beers and must be tried. I can see why this bad boy is currently #7 on the best of BA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Drinking as I type.

11.2 oz. into my smaller Trappist glass.

A: Four finger sandy tan head. Head retention is some of the best I've even seen. Beer is an opaque dark amber.

S: Chocolate, coffee, raisins, rum and coke. Notes of vanilla bean and molasses.

T: Alcohol upfront almost a rum like flavor. Then bitter and malty. Notes of Unsweetened chocolate, bitter vanilla, burnt caramel. Leaves you with alcohol and a bitter bite that finishes very dry.

M: Very good, very creamy and full.

D: This beer is strong. I'm half way through an eleven ounce bottle and my face is warm and I have a bit of buzz. But this is a really good beer and as it warms a few more flavors arrive. A good beer to sip on.

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

A: Poured into a tulip glass. I'm getting a finger of tan head. The beer is a murky brown. This is some of the finest lacing and retention I've seen.

S: The beer smells of raisin, gum, melon, and surprisingly, rum. This one is very boozy, but the other aromas come through more prominently.

T: The beer tastes of raisin, pepper, chocolate, and licorice. I'm getting a slight nutty flavor, but it's subtle. The beer is so complex that it's almost not even worth it try and separate the flavors. Just sit back and enjoy this one.

M: The beer is full bodied and very creamy. Divine!

D: This beer is fairly easy to come across for a trappist beer and is a wonderful substitute for Westvleteren 12, so I'd snatch up as many of these as you can. Very drinkable with most sit down meals.

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

I have sat on this beer for about 4-5 months and I can’t wait anymore to try it. Best by date of 10 01 13.

Pours a deep brown color with a decent amount of head; lacing and retention is great.

The smell is very complex; some cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, molasses, chocolate, fermented grapes—it smells like freshly made bread. There is a slightly strong alcoholic aroma—like rum or barrel aged beer—but it is not distracting at all, it is lovely. The aroma is so intriguing that my senses are overloaded with the broad range of smells.

The taste is as complex as the aroma, easily the best quad I have ever had. Incredibly smooth considering the alcohol content. It has a nice warm and nutty flavor that reminds me of x-mas treats and winter holidays. What can I say about this beer? It is incredible all around. I really tried to find a flaw with it but I just can’t find one. I’m going to have to buy a few more to age and drink during the holidays as it seems like the perfect beer for the upcoming cold weather. Really, really close to a perfect 5 score.

I don't know how successful I will be in ageing these.

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Just had the 8...it was pretty good.
Now for the 10

Served in a wine glass after about 2 hours in the fridge

A - Pours a very dark mahogany brown, much darker than the 8. Head is small, a few patches in the middle with a thick ring around the edge. Lacing is minimal.

S - Again, a big doughy yeasty smell, floury and sweet with fruitiness. Fruits are sweet and dark, plums and grapes and the like. A little bit of alcohol is detected.

T/M - A very rich texture starts us out, with medium carbonation, big malty and yeasty taste. A thick sweetness comes in with some dark fruitiness and then the finish: a warming alcohol sensation with a lasting fruity sweetness.

D - A very good beer, much better than the 8 and definitely worth the 5 bucks. May benefit from a good solid aging.

I think I prefer St. Bernardus 12 though.

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

330ml undated bottle served in a tulip
Wow what a pour. This beer doesn't look like it wants to be in my glass the huge billowing head rises four fingers above the cloudy mahogany colored liquid and that head isn't going anywhere any time soon. The smell is wonderfully complex, dominated by dark fruit from plums to raisins followed by more light fruit and pulled together by some phenols and alcohol spice. The taste is upfront prickly alcohol and peppery spice maybe a bit of hops but it seems to be mainly the alcohol. Incredibly warming but not "hot". Hidden beneath the alcohol is an incredibly full maltiness which suggests of dark bread. The fruit stays in there but it isn't as noticeable as it is in the nose overall the flavor is amazingly vinous, on taste I would take this over that $100 bottle of wine any day. The warming tingly yet deliciously smooth mouthfeel is pretty wild, not too light not too heavy just dead on. OK it's not a session beer but damn this is a treat worth every cent. Let me admit that I was a bit skeptical about this beers very high rating and wondered how much of it was hype. Let me tell you that after drinking one myself, I've become a true believer. Rochefort 10 is the real deal give it a try and you wont be disappointed.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Probably one of the best beers I have ever had!

Enjoyed out of my Tripel Karmeliet tulip glass. Pours a deep chestnut brown, slightly hazy with a rocky 2 finger head. Head is a creamy tan brown, short lasting and fizzy, with lots of lacing. Aroma is strong roasted malts with a definite alcohol presence. Lots of raisins. Tastes very malty with hints of caramel and vanilla. Lots of roasted malts with a nice balance of hoppy bitterness. Hops are not overpowering at all; very subdued. Mouthfeel is very smooth, with a pleasant carbonated bite. Not heavy on the tongue. Overall, an excellent beer. I can easily enjoy 2 of these brews, but due to the high alcohol (and high price) I can't take much more than that.

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Poured into my Rochefort goblet. 2 fingers of tan head over a murky russet body. Great lacing and retention.

S: Rum, raisin, spice, gum, melon.

T: Rum cake, yeasty dough, raisin, pepper, slight chocolate, nuttiness, a licorice spicy note. Ridiculous complexity.

M: Creamy, rich, full, perfect.

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a deep, dark burnt sienna with a light brown highlights and a solid three fingers of tan head with some brown spots on the fairly bit bubbles. Head ends up with a finger of thick froth. Lots of chunks floating around in there. Looks excellent. Nose of strong dried fruit, spices, molasses. Lots of cookies. Very light hoppy grapefruit. Incredible flavor. First cookies and chocolate, like the nose. Spicy alcohol in the middle. Almost no hop character. Strong raisins, cranberries, and other dried fruit in the middle. Alcohol comes back through the nose after a little bit. Fulll, creamy body; amazing, only topped by the 8. This one's amazing, with the only slight problem being the light alcohol presence throughout the beer (kind of tough to hide a full 11% ABV, so I won't fault them much). Delicious.

3.95/5  rDev -12.4%

Purchased this 12oz bottle from Market of Choice, 29th and Willamette, Eugene, OR.

Pours a deep dark cola brown color. Very light tan head, medium head retention. Mild aroma. Slightly oakey and sweet. A hint of non citrus fruityness. Flavor is somewhat oakey, with a belgian sour. Mouthfeel is slightly fizzy , light to medium body. Very lightly drying. Drinkability is high. Good flavor, decent mouthfeel. Certainly wouldn't mind another one after this, if i had had the foresight to pick up a 2nd bottle! Argh!

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance - Very dark and opaque. 1 finger of beige head, with very good retention.

Smell - Strong smell, although the smell does not have any interesting characteristics that you would not expect from a quadrupel.

Taste - Very strong malty bitter flavour, with clear hints of coffee and raisins. The alcohol is evident (as expected), but far from overpowering. Definitely one of the best tasting beers I've tried.

Mouthfeel - Quite smooth with a pleasant coffee flavoured aftertaste.

Drinkability - Definitely a slow drinking beer. It would be hard to finish more than one in a sitting, although the great taste alone may leave you wanting more.

Overall - Sad as it may sound, this beer is pretty similar to St. Bernardus Abt 12, but the sugar in Abt 12 gives it a great caramel character that the Rochefort is lacking. This is the only reason why I prefer Abt 12. However, this is still a must-try beer, and I certainly do not regret dishing out $10 Australian for the one bottle.

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Poured -- gently -- into an oversized Duvel tulip after debating whether to go tulip or goblet. . . . Body is a slightly reddish dark brown with a 1/2-finger ivory-white head that settles pretty quickly. Lots of sediment in suspension. Only a tiny amount of lacing.

S: Yummy. It's port-like, with the smell of rum-soaked raisins, cocoa powder and even cinnamon all noticeable. Also something sweet like honey or bubblegum. Very pleasant; alcohol becomes more dominant in the nose as it warms.

T: Dark and dried fruits -- berries, chocolate-covered cherries and raisins (rum-soaked raisins) -- and even a taste of brown bread. Slight tartness on the back of the mouth avoids this being entirely about the yeast and malt. Alcohol heat is also present at the end of the sip and down the gulley.

M: Smooth and spritzy in feel, medium to heavy in heft.

D: Damn good for a beer that's over 11% ABV. The glass was empty far too quickly. . . .

Notes: FWIW, I paid $5.99 for the bottle. I refrigerated it a couple months ago to hoist in celebration of a new job I began in July. Finally got a chance to enjoy it last night, so I hoisted this top-notch Belgian in celebration of my new job as well as in the memory of Michael Jackson. A beer certainly worthy of toasting with. . . .

3.68/5  rDev -18.4%

Drank out of a tulip glass.

Dark brown with a nice head at first. Great lacing as I swirled this beer in the glass. This beer is not subtle at all. I found this too alcoholic for me. It had a very boozy nose and strong cognac like taste. As it warmed this boozy flavor became stronger. This was a slow sipping beer which I like.. It took me 1 hr to finish.

I was real excited to try this one. I was a bit disappointed. This just was too alcoholic for me. It was good. But was it $7 good? I'm not so sure.

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%

Dark chestnut brown color and a fizzy beige soda pop like head that reduces quickly but does keep a thick ring and surface layer. The nose displays wonderful aromas of dark fruits of raison and berries, firm malty, carob base, and banana. The first sip reveals some roasted malts and earthiness up front and ending with a hoppy bitterness and citric balance. Burnt brown sugar sweetness, anise, nutty malts, and aspartame shows up as it warms. The finish is long with notes of chary, hazelnut, nutty malt, and faint espresso. The alcohol burn is moderate for a 11.3, but this would make it a gem after some aging. Good crisp carbonation with a thin mouthfeel that is really good but was hoping for something a little chewier.

4.33/5  rDev -4%

Pours a dark opaque brown with a tan head. Aromas of a malty sweetness, alcohol and a coffee/ molasses presence. In the taste, a malty alcohol flavor and molasses charicteristic. Also, a dry end. A sweet alcoholic mouthfeel and a sweet molasses aftertaste. Even though, alcohol is there it hides it well, and great flavors overall.

4.33/5  rDev -4%

330ml bottle, best before 19/05/09.

pours deep brown with ruby edges. a small fluffy tan head rises up, then quickly falls and leaves no lace.

aroma is great. bit of alcohol. date. bit of dried cherry. slightly vinous. bready malt. touch of toastyness. bit of yeast.

taste is good. light alcohol. medium-low bitterness level. lots of dried fruit. date, dried cherry, slightly vinous. bready malt. light toast. yeast. just a hint of spice - clove maybe?

mouthfeel is good. medium-high carbonation level. medium body.

drinkability is good. slightly warm, but very nice. mostly balanced. good stuff.

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

**This was a 2.5 year old bottle from my cellar**

A - Dark brown with a large mocha head that has good staying power. Several minutes after pouring the head is still large, rocky, and creamy.

S - Dark, malty aroma of prunes and rasins. Alcohol notes, roastiness, and sublte, herbal hops.

T - Rich flavor of roasted malts and dark caramel. There is a distinct alcohol note and a fair amount of hop bitterness as well as some spicy yeasty overtones. The finish is full of wet, musty sherry notes boardering on cardboardy and a bit of a brothy, beefy yeast flavor. There are also some tobacco notes.

M - Moderately high carbonation. Slick medium body, relatively dry finish.

D - This beer is one to savor and share. The overall impression is of a heavy, flavorfull, cigar like beer. I was surprised that it retained so much carbonation after 2.5 years. It was starting to get a bit autolyzed, so I don't think I would age it any longer than this.

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – The body is very dark brown, cloudy to the extent that no light in my house can put a dent in the color. I controlled the head at the pour, but it was still big and left a filming layer on top of the ale.

Smell – The sugars jump right out of the glass. The generous cane is the first one I caught. This was followed by crumbly brown and sandpaper raw. The heavenly fruits came next. The apricot led the way followed by overripe pears, Bing cherry juice, an orange wedge or two, a little banana, some figs, a piece of star fruit, and finally a quality red apple.

The alcohol notes and mature malt bring up the rear. This is a very complex bouquet.

Taste – Man, is this good. The sweetness comes out in force at the tongue. It seems like a drop of vanilla has been added to give it even more smoothness. I thought the malt might wimp out at the taste, but it stays its ground (an amazing accomplishment).

Mouthfeel – Very lightly carbonated and smooth, smooth, smooth. The alcohol calls attention to itself at some point, but after the first sip or two you just don’t care.

Drinkability – This defines “creamy Belgian Ale.” It’s just beautiful to hold in the mouth and the flavors will keep you busy all night long. What a treat.

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

14.01.08 stamped, poured into an Orval stemmed chalice. Served at approx. 55F.

Pours a cherry wood overall color with ruby edges. As I stare into the center of this beacon of beauty, there are thousands of tiny bubbles moderately rising upward, thus helping to sustain a 1/4" off-white fine head. Fine sticky lace all the way down.

Smelling this creature is heavenly to say the least. A few slow swirls of the wide rimmed goblet, there's a blossoming fragrance of tropical fruits (mango, pineapple, apricot and banana) that have been slow roasted in fine dark rum whereas their natural juices have oozed, gummed and coagulated into a glorious montage deep, dark and bountiful scents. Burnt molasses and spice cake stand at attention, while pepper and cinnamon hide at the rear of the line.

As the first sip trails down my tongue, my entire mouth is greeted by a widespread disbursement of rum soaked figs, white pepper dusted raisins, rye bread and burnt toffee. The dark fruit flavors are nicely offset by a woody dryness that keeps these intense flavors from becoming too dominant or cloying. The alcohol is mildly felt and well placed. There's a little heat in my chest and the roof of my mouth, but all very graceful. The complexity of this brew is staggering. There are many hints of flavors I *think* I detect, but they ghostily flee before my brain locks them in.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Velvety smooth. Down pillow soft. On the lighter side of full bodied, but that's just because the fine and perfectly present carbonation keeps things playful and young.

Drinkability is based on the fiber of one's being. I would to think one is entering a somewhat spiritual dimension when drinking this ale. And it's up to those spirits when they think you’re time drinking their beer is up. I'll drink as much as they'll allow.

Overall a stunning force of brewing nature this one is. Like a deep and wide river; quiet and still on the surface, yet powerful and tumultuous underneath. This beer is holy.

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into two tulip glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Deep mahogany with plummy tints. 1/2 finger head that's as smooth as cream.

S: Dark fruit (plums, figs, currants...) with a dose of candi sugar.

T: Once again, dark overripe fruit dominates with a slight banana flavor and some mild spice. Alcohol heat emerges slightly.

M: Like drinking velvet. Incredible!

D: One of the worlds best, with good reason. Wow!

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the 330ml brown bottle into a goblet to produce a 1/2" head of beige foamy head that quickly settled to a clumpy cap. The beer was nearly opaque dark brown. Only a hint of maroon color shown through when held to a bright light. Slight lacing from the fizzy head.

The smell was quite understated. Hints of sweet, lightly roasted malt, and raisins came through.

The taste was quite good. The malt comes through first, followed by a buscuity, sweetbread taste that is followed up by an alcohol warming sensation. Then a fruity, plumb and raisin taste lingers and fades gradually.

The mouthfeel, as with most Belgians, is quite fizzy. The rich taste on this one over-rides the carbonation. It finishes very clean and crisp. The aftertaste lingers and produces a nice mouth coating.

The drinkability is quite nice. The 11.3% abv is melded nicely with the taste.

This is how ya do it, kids. This is transparent only at the bottom of my goblet. Above that it's sultry, deep, and I mean deep amber, with a touch of purple. The head is more pillowy and luxurious than whatever is at the head of your bed, and absolutely will not go away.

This is five-star stuff all the way, and classy as hell. It doesn't try to impress with a bunch of mismatched flavors, it doesn't have to. Instead, your nose & tongue are graced with hints of the best, melded into perfection. Dark, as well as milk chocolate, caramel, dark fruits, and clean fresh air. Sinewy, understated hops take over, after which you're left with nothing but a tingling mouth aching for another savory sip. As the beer warms, I noticed a rounded bubble-gum presence toward the end of the taste.

If there exists on Earth a finer beer, I'm not sure my heart could handle it. By my best reckoning this is absolutely perfect.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort