Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Was very surprised to find this rare beer around here, thank you Smokeless Joe's! Poured an impressive brown with a hint of plum and a lingering tan head. Smell was impressive as well, floral with plum and prune esters. Taste, this is worth noting, it started very stealthy, dark fruits, and some malts, but going down it is smooth, almost unbelivably so. The world slowed to a crawl around me and for what seemed like an eternity there was nothing be me and the beer. I heard a buzzing in my ears and noticed my friend what talking to me, I told him to give me a minute. It is a very complex beer with a velvety-smooth mouthfeel and I really must try it again to take it all in. Outstanding, if I could afford to drink this all day I probably would.

tatterdash, Oct 10, 2004
4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured a dark, hazy brown with a larger brownish head. Aromas of spices, plums, and raisins. Tastes of spices, malts, fruity, plums, and lightly sweet. Complex aroma and tastes that work very well. Alcohol content hidden. Another quality beer from our monk friends!

hopdog, Oct 01, 2004
4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

This was my original note from September 8, 2003. I still think this is an accurate impression of this beer, so I am leaving it. The scores don't change:

Ok, ok. This is darker than it's siblings.
Stand aside!
It bears within it an aroma of latex paint, baked pavement, fruit pie and Puerto Rican rice. Amazing!
Caramel/mocha milkshake flavors dominate the piney, forest floor heathen qualities. The pinnacle of the series, utterly natural, rocky, liqueur-like, creamy and dense. What a loss, all of those denied this pleasure.
___

Now today, I would write the review like this:

There is an admirable effort to maintain a sheet of various-colored foam : "mocha" is one of the colors. The aromas describe top-notch grappa and raisins, macerated together. There is also an aggressive smell of nuts, graphite and flint. On the palate it is woody and intense. I'm still getting a Seafood Rice thing in the flavors (Imagine a cauldron filled with oyster shells, saffron and rice. I assume this is a testament to the mineral content of the water here.) While alcohol drives a unkind pace through the flavor development (in contrast to a Southampton Grand Cru or Westvleteren 8, for example -- both of which stall delightfully on the palate to reveal even more bounty than one bargained for -- "cadence") it is a thrilling, 12-cylinder power which humbles the senses -- sort of like St. Sixtus yellow cap. The fine prickle of gas, laughing madly before the alcohol executioner, keeps the pace and makes the flavors come alive. These are the images that appear on the palate: vanilla, birch bark, poppy seed paste, grade B coffee, licorice and earth.
These Quadrupels are rarely appropriate and always a little hard to cozy up to, but nothing else in life approximates the sense of danger and possibility contained in them.

putnam, Sep 29, 2004
4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Best Belgian I ever had. Copper, with a beig head, albeit not a big one. Nose of caramel, fruit, and a whiff of alcohol. Creamy, smooth to the palate. Some complex fruity, caramel like flavors, but not a big alcohol push, belying the big content. Simply the best beer I have ever tasted.

newyawker, Sep 28, 2004
4.33/5  rDev -4%

Trappistes Rochefort 10. Belgian Trappist Ale. Serve Between 54-58 F.
21 01 09. 11.2 fl. oz. slender brown bottle.

Appearance: Deep chocolate brown, head quickly recedes to nothing. Lots of floating yeast.

Smell: Sweet, alcohol and chocolate.

Taste: Wow. Licorice, brown sugar, strong alcohol.

Mouthfeel: There's a lot going on here and it leaves your mouth tingling.

Drinkability: Tastes great, enjoyable world class beer, one of the best, but not one youre going to drink all the time.

fdrich29, Sep 21, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I've had this in the fridge for a couple of weeks now and it's now calling my name. Review 151. Pours a nice dark dark brown with a good size tan head. Aroma is of intense dark fruits and chocolate with just a note of alcohol. Taste gives no hint of alcohol, it's dangerously drinkable. Heavy notes of chocolate taper off into flavors of raisins. Very little after taste. This is one heavingly beer and one of the best quads I've yet to try. I'll be buying more.

soper2000, Sep 19, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

I've been looking for the right night to try this, and it seems today is the day. This beer pours a nice opaque brown with about a finger of head that sticks around for the show. What a nice malty nose. I get a full in my face sweet fig nose with an alcohol punch that reminds me more of a liquor than a beer. The flavor is nicely balanced. There is the malty fig flavor, but it is balanced with a caramel sweetness and a smokey char finish. What a treat. Well worth the hype and the wait to drink it. Now I have to convince myself to let it warm a bit more before I finish it to see what else is hiding in the nose and flavor. The beer is thick with just a hint of small carbonation. Drinkability is top notch. I could easily handle a few of these, even with the high ABV. Its nice and smooth, without an offensive alcohol to make me want to slow down on it. I will be getting this one again, and soon.

kmpitz2, Sep 17, 2004
2.88/5  rDev -36.1%

Reddish light brown with a very light brown head that lasts for a short bit. No lace. Smells of caramel rum raisin alcohol, nutmeg, and a hint of smoke. Flavor is sweet rum raisin in oak, cloyingly sugary. Rumminess is annoying. Finish really disappoints. Where are those beautiful yeasts? Oh that's right, they are covered up by the rum candy sweetness. Cough-syrupesque by the end. Feel is a little chalky and thicker than expected, but good. Finish is way too sweet and boring for me. I did not even want to finish the 11.2 ounce bottle.

A real disappointment for me. Where is the complexity? Just because it has alcohol doesn't mean it is good. No hops, and not all that much yeast character. I don't understand this beer.

waughbrew, Sep 15, 2004
3.6/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ya know, for all the hype... I was kinda let down. Pours and looks like iced tea. No head whatsoever. Aroma is pretty nice, smells of raisins and a hint of something like Capt. Morgan rum. Taste is, well, kinda bland. A bit sweet, some alcohol is present. Nothing great, just good. Mouthfeel would be better if there was more carbonation. Maybe Belgians just aren't my thing. Maybe this was a bad bottle?

deejaydan, Sep 14, 2004

Bottle inspection: Best by Dated bottle (21-10-09), serving temperature suggestion (54-58 F) and an Authentic Trappist product symbol.
Aroma: I shed tears. I’m unable and unworthy to describe this aroma. Take hard fruit candy, marshmallows, roses, licorice, pepper, and bubble gum and blend them. Some fruity flavors as well, raisin/banana, melon, rum soaked fruitcake, exotic spices and a hint of Juicy Fruit™ as well. Something about the smell says “new” like a new toy or a freshly opened Christmas present. I’ve smelled this beer for 10 minutes before tasting it now, it is just intoxicating.
Appearance: Black, with an odd greenish brown/tan color coming out in bright backlight. A creamed coffee head has patiently waited for me to keep smelling it. It started out at a good finger, now about a quarter, which lasts the hour I savor this gem. A small dot at the center of my goblet shows a small feed of very fine bubbles. Thick obscuring tight knit lace is painted on my glass as I work my way down.
Flavor: Have they genetically created chocolate melons yet? Where a chocolate covered honeydew melon doesn’t sound great, it is the closest I can come to the major tastes I encounter. The chocolate is more of a chocolate milk taste and the melon has an orange bubblegum quality. Grapes and pears play a supporting role in making this beer work, as well as a mild mint flavor. At the half way point, I start to note a mild alcohol taste, but it only serves to enhance the other flavors.
Mouthfeel: So creamy, so smooth; Liquid silk. Fairly dry with a clean finish that cools my lips as it evaporates. Deeper into the beer, my mouth, face, throat, neck, upper body and tummy all have a nice, fireside warmth.
Overall Impression: Words fail me, this beer literally brought tears to my eyes. I saved this beer for my 200th review, and I’m afraid I’ve reached the end of my journey. I want this beer and no other. Thank you BA and Alström brothers for helping me on the journey. There is a world of complex tastes here that I could spend a lifetime exploring. I could drink this beer the rest of my life and die a happy man. If you are lucky enough to see this beer on a shelf somewhere, damn the torpedoes, buy a case! This is my first straight 5 beer. It works on all levels.
Mad props to stonecrusher for rocking my world.

HardTarget, Sep 02, 2004
4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

Package: 33cl brown bottle.

Presentation: Had a bottle of this at Anam Cara in Boston, MA.

Appearance: Dark brown opaque color with tan head that thinned down but still laced nicely.

Smell: Sweet aroma of alcohol soaked raisins and grapes.

Taste: A wonderful mix of sweet raisin flavors followed by strong bitter peppery flavors. The flavors danced in my mouth back and forth between sweet and bitter throughout the flavor timeline. Very enjoyable and zesty multi-dimensioned taste.

Mouthfeel: Outrageously smooth with a good carbonation feel. Wow.

Drinkability: This went straight to my head after the first sip. It is so delicious and interesting that I would have had many more if not for the high ABV effect.

Comments: A very enjoyable big beer with multi-layered flavors. Outstanding.

Denali, Aug 30, 2004
4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

My God, I now know I will visit Philadelphia more often. Monks rules! I think I'm going to keep calling until they get Westy in...

Anyway, onto the review

Appearance: Poured in a Chalice. Brown, with a thick, rocky tannish head. Cloudiness in the body. Head lasted for the entire glass...ample lacing.

Aroma: Good, intricate malt aroma. Raisins and figs seem to come to the forefront, with a fruity apple character providing a background contrast. Caramel maltiness present throughout.

Taste: Slight figginess initially, fading to a sweet caramel apple flavor. Prominence flavor of raisins/dates from the malt backbone. Alcohol provides a nice warming character that compliments the sweet fruitiness of the brew.

Mouthfeel: High alcohol, a bit lacking in body, for my tastes (with the amount of alcohol present in this brew)

Drinkability: If I didn't have a talk to go to, this would have been a repeat performer there and then, regardless of the $10 price tag.

PartyHatjo, Aug 26, 2004
4.03/5  rDev -10.6%

New thoughts: I'm knocking this down a bit. I've had multiple bottles of this recently, and this beer sucks. Well, at the very least, it's not the same as it used to be. It's still OK, but much of the complexity is gone, leaving sheer size in its place. Size has its rewards, but that's not what this beer used to be nor what it should be. What used to be spices, brown sugar, and bitte plum skin leading to a strong alcoholic finish is now just sweet booze. I've heard that the aging/lagering period on this is a fraction of what it once was to help them keep up with demand. Is this true? If so, I have no doubt that's the cause of my newfound Rochefort rage.

Originally reviewed 7/24/2003 (4.45 total score)
From that review:

Mahogony color with a nice fluffy head. Definitely caught glimpses of sediment sliding out of the bottle into the glass. Aromas of prunes, bitter plum skin, and alcohol. Flavor begins similarly ripe but pushes into a peppery, alcohol-dominated finish. Very light hints of oak and vanilla dance around a bit as well.

This doesn't even remotely hide the alcohol content. It celebrates it. A delicious offering when it's all said and done.

marburg, Aug 25, 2004
4.78/5  rDev +6%

Second Review:
Pours a dark opaque brown with a thick, creamy, tan head. The head dwindles and leaves lacing that is thick and clingy; CO2 only visible along the edge of the head. Aroma is malty, roasted, spicy and some hints bubblegum. The flavors are sweet, roasted, fruit, spicy. Sweet start with a tart middle and a dry finish. Mouthfeel is full bodied, smooth and effervescent. A definite warming presence of alcohol. A great beer with a lot of character; complex but not overpowering.
Well-balanced and intense without being over the top.

First Review:
Presentation: 33cl brown bottle with freshness date of 26/08/08

Deep brown color a light brown head with signs of light carbonation. The head diminished to a fine layer quickly leaving a nice band of lace around the glass. Aroma is initially astringent and wine like, but more complex smells and flavors emerge as the beer warms: fruity bubblegum notes, dried fruits and caramel and an earthy background. Flavor is complex and full: sweet fruity and caramel start with a quick tart middle and a lingering tangy hop finish. Mouthfeel is full bodied and syrupy with an alcohol finish and a surprising amount of effervescence.

SeanChouffe, Aug 14, 2004
4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

This bottle had a best by date of 14Jan08. Poured a deep, hazy brown, in my trappist glass, with a small head, which quickly dissipated, leaving a thin, creamy layer, along with moderate carbonation. I left the last 1/2 inch in the bottle, as it contained the majority of the sediment. Smell was warm, doughy bread, with raisins, prunes, alcohol, and a hint of coriander. Marvelous. Medium palate, with a lively carbonation. Flavor was dark fruits, similar to the smell, with a warm, moderately strong, alcohol bite and a mild acidic finish. Great stuff!! I can get more of this; however, at $6.99 for a 33cl bottle, I will limit my intake!!

imblane, Aug 05, 2004
4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Finally found a 330 ml bottle of this for under $7 (thank you AJ’s!) and decided it was time to dive in. Allowed the beer a few minutes to warm to recommended drinking temp of 54-58 degrees F before opening.

Despite a careful pour a huge head the color of coffee with cream poured out, three fingers thick, and it wasn't going anywhere. Beer itself is a dark brown-red, reminiscent of cherry-cola. Nice lacing effects.

Aroma is less potent than I suspected it would be. There’s a subtlety here. Hops and candi sugar, maple, and mulled wine come in later, esp. after warming. There’s a lot going on in there, but it’s almost too subtle. I would have preferred some stronger notes, but I'm nitpicking.

The taste matches the aroma, meaning it’s wonderfully subtle. The alcohol is the most prominent on the initial sip, but as the beer warms in the mouth strains of plum, dark berry, even brandy come out.

Mouthfeel is smooth and satiny, despite the level of carbonation. Finishes dry, almost sherry-like. The taste of alcohol lingers a bit on the tongue but it’s not unpleasant. I see myself warming a glass of this in my hand during the darkest months of the year.

If the Trappists are as correct about religion as they are beer, we non-Catholics better sign up for Catechism!

Hunter, Jul 17, 2004
4.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a dark mahogany, topped with a one finger crackling tan head. Lacing was beyond a sheet, it was a wall that fell down the glass above the level of the beer.
Served it at 14 degrees Celsius as directed by the label.
Bread, sugar, flowers, spice aroma. Also peach and tangerine.
Fruity, sweet tasting, a bit of a wheat or hay note. Spicy, floral, tobacco and candy notes.
I'm torn on the drinkability, couldn't drink a lot of it, but it's a sipper I could drink one of this in the same timeframe as 2-3 weaker beers.
Full bodied, tingles the lips.

mschofield, Jul 09, 2004
4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

330ml bottle. This poured out a cloudy brown color with reddish highlights. It had a decent sized tan head that quickly dropped to a coated of bubbles that left subtle lace around the glass as it was consumed. There was quite a bit of sediment left in the bottle after the pour as well. The aroma smells of malt sweetness, various fruits and a bit of an herbal earthy tone to it. There is also a couple of notes spiciness to the scent and a couple of other smells that were not identified. Leading the way in the taste is a fruity sweetness that is also accompanied by a doughy malt flavor and slight bit of spice. It has a bit of a dry finish and a buttery taste going on as well. Very refreshing to sip on this warm day and no trace of alcohol anywhere. Mouthfeel is rich and about medium to full in body. It goes down very easy and is a very balanced beer. A truly all around excellent beer, highly recommended to anyone. With the many complexities to this I will defiantly be having many more of these in the future.

meathookjones, Jun 30, 2004
4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Deep brown with low carbonation and a thin head that leaves quickly.

Complex aroma (in no particular order) - sweet malt, anise, pepper, dark maraschino cherries, chocolate and various other 'unidentifiables'.

Sweet front palate, followed buy a strong spicey alcohol kick that lingers with a little bite for sometime. Boy, does this warm you up! More dark fruit flavours on the palate than the aroma, with a very dominant pepper flavour. Creamy and long, this is impressive.

My only down point is that the alcohol is still a little out of balance. But, I guess thats the price you pay for all that flavour. Cheers to the Belgians!

koolk, Jun 15, 2004
4.78/5  rDev +6%

Best by: 14-11-06... Poured a cloudy brown color with a small tan head and that left nice lacing on the glass. An intoxicating aroma of fruit (mainly cherries and apples) some pepper and butterscotch as well. Chocolate, plum, grape and currant were indeed noticed in the flavor. Alcohol seems to linger alittle on my lips and the tip of my tongue as well! But all in all this in a great brew, and I wish it wasn't so expensive!

egajdzis, Jun 13, 2004
4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

330ml bottle

Along with 8 other specially imported beers, this was the first I tried

Pours with a dark, viscous body. Thick, heavy sediment lies at the bottom and floats around the glass. Foamy tan head, fizzes and erupts to form an inch to 2inch head.

Smell, rum , raisins and other dried fruit. Strong malty fragrance, flowery aroma and a thick, heady aroma of herbs and fruit.

Taste is phenomenal. Esters of dried fruit, bananas, peaches. Strong malty alcohol kick, but smooth as it could possibly be

As far as belgians this is is unbeatable, a fantastic brew and is one of the best things I have ever tasted, as far as the beers i've tried, this one is perfection in a bottle, a piece of liquid art

---

Since the first time i've had this with a creamy brie, chunky houmous, a selection of anti pasto and ciabatta, it all worked very well

cypressbob, Jun 11, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

Note: This beer has been aging since August 2003, so any variations of flavor are as a result of its age.

The Rochefort 10 is the stronger brother to the Rochefort 8. It's very similar in appearance and aroma. It's the flavor that sets them apart.

The Rochefort 10 pours a very dark brown with an active head. The tan head rises slowly but forcefully to the top of my glass. I have to wait for it to recede before I finish the pour.

The aoma is quite spicy. I detect the same rum aroma as I did with the Rochefort 8. At forst taste, it seems similar, however, the fruitiness gives way to a distinct alcohol warmth. It is to be expected of a beer that is 11% ABV, however it is incredibly drinkable. Unlike some high alcohol Belgians I have had, this one hides its alcohol better than any I have sampled. It's a stealthy little devil.

All in all, this is a wonderful beer. I would love to end my meal with one.

kindestcut, Jun 04, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

rochefort 10 needs no introduction to the seasoned connosieur. it is, to put it simply, one of the very finest brews on the planet across all styles. magnificent in all categories.

exquisite brown/red/purple like color with a rocky but not too intense head. very easy going fizz happening within. the smell is quite mellow, but complex. rich burnt toffee and chocolate aromas meet up with stone and dried fruits, and a dash of spicy elements also joining in. the taste is just sensational. sweet caramel intensity with plummy, raisiny notes, some apple and pear, a little chocolate, and finishing off with a blast of cinnamon, star anise, cloves and some traces of oak. dryish hop finish pulls everything into order perfectly to finish out what is truly a magnificent drinking epxerience. so incredibly balanced, smooth, strong, but easy to drink. no real trace of the huge ABV, especially if this is the nightcap after a fair session. its beers like this that make those trappist monks the sorts of fellows youd like to have working in your local brewpub.

this is one of those beers that you just have to try before you depart this frail existance. it may not be everyones cup of tea, but good golly, its a champion brew in anyones language. its the most expensive bottle on the shelf by a long way, but worth it to the last drop. a monument to beer and brewing is rochefort 10.

diablo14, May 31, 2004
4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a really dark brown with a small but active tan head. Settles out in to a nice thick sheet of lace.

Smells wonderfully fruity with a heavenly yeast background.

Extremely balanced as it passes the palate. Starts with a bit of plum and apple. Turns grainy and almost rye in it's middle. Finishes with a nice bisquit flavor. Not the most flavorful quad I've had.

Texture is quite evident with that grainy slick mouthfeel predominating.

Super smooth and drinkable for such a high ABV. Another great belgian sipper.

yankeeheel, May 31, 2004
4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Best by 091208. Tasted in my trusty Wesmalle goblet.
Light brown and ruby highlighted look in the goblet with a dense tight light tan head. Very attractive. Sweet bread dough and dark caramel smell with hints of crushed raisens as well. Deep dark sour plum and pear taste upfront is then followed by a white pepper, allspice, and cooriander finish. Nice very smooth fuller mouth. A beautiful sippin beer!

frank4sail, May 17, 2004