Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
4.67/5  rDev +3.5%

I enjoyed this classic in a Rochefort Chalice.

A-Opaque reddish brown with a one-finger firm head diminishing quickly to a very thin blanket that lasted for a long time.

S-Malty Rum Raisin with a slight hint of cloves.

T-Raisins, plums (prune), and rum. As the beer warmed over a period of 15 minutes the taste evolved into one of wonderful smokey-bananas, with a slight yeasty malt finish.

M-Smooth and silky with a lot of carbonation.

D-Very enjoyable by itself,...for some reason this one took longer for me to drink.
Not for the faint of heart.

3.33/5  rDev -26.2%

A - Pours a muddy, deep dark brown with a thick two finger tan-canvas-tent head that stays rock solid for quite some time

S - raisin, pumpernikel, pepper, a teensy bit musty/woodsy. Surprisingly faint.

T - really having trouble pinning down the flavors here, they're so thoroughly blended. I'm getting caramel, banana, clove, prune, and strong alcohol in the finish. As it warms, some apple opens up, but so does more bitterness and fusel flavoring.

M - silky, yet with aggressive carbonation. Pretty much standard thick-but-effervescent thing I'm noticing as I make my way through the Trappists. Can't fault the beer in this dept.

D - I like plenty of boozy beers, but the aftertaste on this is dragging it down for me. Just a bit too hot. Overall not bad, but there's nothing wowing me in the flavor profile to make me want to lay a few down to quell the heat. It's been a bit since I've had it but I think i prefer the St. Bernardus 12

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Dark, thoughtful opaque brew with a thick, brown head of froth. Swirling it around it loses no head and sticks to the side of the glass. Elegant to say the least.

S - Rich, complex aroma of dark fruits, mostly plums and raisins. No hop tinge or alcohol is present in the nose.

T - Sweet yeasty body with a full malt backing. All the nice fruit notes come through and although the abv isn't really present in the taste profile, you can tell it's there due to the warming effects. Very tasty.

M - Full bodied, medium carbonation, dry finish with the slightest hint of alcohol in the aftertaste.

D - For it's potency, this is an amazingly easy brew to consume. Simply outstanding, stop reading these reviews and go try one!

4.84/5  rDev +7.3%

Upon opening, the beer foamed uncontrollably and zoomed out of the bottle. Very strange and scary, as invariably some beer was wasted. Hope it's not a portent of things to come. Anyway, poured into a goblet.

A: pours a cloudy reddish brown, settles in the glass to a dark cloudy brown, good sized head (when it finally went down), decent lacing

S: banana, spicy grape, clove, warming alcohol, overripe strawberry, subtle but complex

T: spiced banana again, overripe dark fruit in the middle, mixed with some caramel, creamy finish right at the end, alcohol only evident in the fumes coming up into my nose from the aftertaste

M: like most good Belgians, not overly heavy, but still rich and deep, understated carbonation

D: as others have said, very much like the "8", but stronger and deeper, almost more of an earthy quality, the Rocheforts are still the best Belgians I have had in my opinion

4.77/5  rDev +5.8%

A - it is opaque in my wide snifter, but was quite red during the pour. Dense creamy head. Lace is good, but not outstanding.

S - Deep, deep notes of rum raisin, heavenly spice notes, and dark lucious boozy malt

T - absolutely smothered by rich, dark fruity malt, which finally gives way to a smooth chocolate finish.

M - tons of alcohol makes for a drying finish, but is otherwise subtle for the most part (well, as subtle as 11.3% can be). Not overly carbed like some Belgians, which is fine by me. It's got more body than your typical Belgian, but no one said this was typical... yet it is still highly digestable for a beer of it's size.

D - Everytime I crack a bottle of this, I am reminded of the Dave Barry quote, "beer is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."

An all-time favourite, it never fails to satisfy and amaze me. Incredibly drinkable for such a big beer, I don't have to take my time with this one quite like I do with say a Samichlaus or Expedition Stout. Delicious.

4.05/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle to snifter, The liquid is a dirty brown with good carbonation. The head is a small 2 fingers, tan and leaves some lace.

The smell is good, yeasty mixed with dark roasty malt. A nice chocolate note along with some alcohol.

The taste is good but not outstanding, I like it plenty just not as much as the rest of the world. The dark fruit and roastyness is very good. The alcohol also makes it very warming.

The mouthfeel is very good, nice body, very creamy as is warms, and good carbonation.

The drinkability is good, at this price there are many other brews I would rather drink however.

Prosit, MK

Bottle poured into a Rochefort glass(!) at O'Brien's, San Diego.

Exceptional dark-brown color with a filmy tan head. Nice aroma of figs and other candied fruits, with a bit of caramel and spices. Lovely taste of dark fruits (and maybe some banana), spices with just the right amount of sweetness. Light bit of carbonation. Medium-bodied and very smooth. A very relaxing and enjoyable drinking experience.

Similar to the Rochefort 8, but a bit more subtle (and stronger). One of my favorites; highly recommended!

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

This was the beer that got me into drinking Belgian beers. It you want a great Belgian beer and you do not have access to a Westvleteren 12 you should drink this beer because it is a great beer and you will not be missing much. I may be out of line but I think this beer is as good as a Westie.

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this one on several occasions, including at 'La Gourmandise' in the village of Rochefort, BE, but it's been awhile... This is an 11.2 oz/330 cl bottle poured to a small goblet. Label shows 'L290812', which I assume means this it's 'good' until sometime in late August, 2012...

A: Fantastic look; deep, deep ruddy brown crowned with an immobile finger's-worth of sandy tan head. That thing is nearly a 'solid' and crackles noisily as it drops, ever-so-slowly, and is densely packed with the creamiest and tiniest of carbonation. There could not be a more 'perfect'-looking quadrupel than this one, in my opinion...

S: Aroma of rich leather, strong honey (maybe mead?), candied fruits (plums, figs, raisins) and chocolate syrup. Tingle of alcohol booze. Not necessarily strong, but gently full of spicy yeast and plenty of toasty malt.

T: A little cocoa, a liberal dose of spice, enough reduced caramel and some zesty fruit, with more bitter rind. The finish is dry, full of dark fruit, chocolate and some savory elements, like leather or cured & peppered beef jerky.

M: Incredibly smooth, satin-like really. A little carbonation prickle; ok, quite a bit (but it's not that cola-like 'crackle'). Medium-full mouthfeel; not sticky in the finish, but a little sneaky with it's alcoholic warmth.

D: One of my favorite Belgian beers of any style. It's been quite a while since I've tried this one, and at $6-7/bottle it's not cheap (oh, how I lament seeing those 4-packs in Belgium for under €4); but it's remarkably good and certainly 'easy to drink'. At any cost, it's a world-class beer worth seeking out.

3.96/5  rDev -12.2%

Thanks to iconoklaztor for letting me take a few sips of this one. Pours a dark purple/brown. With a fine clingy tan/white head. A nice looking beer. I poured a lot of yeast into the glass.

Smell is sweet/tart. A true original. I can't quite put my finger on the flavor, but it's quite sweet and unique. This is definitely a unique beer. My buddy is worried that it's going to give him a hangover, so he's giving me quite a bit of it. Lucky me.

A classic. Enjoy.

3.37/5  rDev -25.3%

L: fomay two finger off white brownish head. A filthy dark syrupy brown color. Almost caramel like.
S:A sour smell right away that melts in to a slight banana bubble gum. A nice little banana spice on the end.
T:A smooth toffee sweetness that gives way to a alcoholy banana spice. Really hot alcohol at the end..
M:Sharp fizz on the front and top of the tounge.
D:The hotness of this brew is slightly off putting but disapears once you let it warm up a bit. Once that happens it is a very good beer. The caramel sweetness makes it a nice balanced beer

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

A wonderful aroma with fruit of banana and fig. Only complain is the little head.
Very nice brown colour. Flavour with burned carame and well balanced between sweet and bitter (is maybe to the sweet side). Lovely alcoholic bite. Sweet, alcohol and slightly bitter finish. Full bodied. My favourite trappist beer also compared to Westvleteren 12.

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Rocky dense head that towers above the body like a mountain top. In addition, there were some deep brown yeasties that I had disturbed at the end of the pour. Instead of sinking down, it sat atop the stiff meringue head like a brown crown.

Dark ripe fruit. Honey and spicy desert bread. Liquor phenol alcohol in the nose too, but its very smooth and herbal, not astringent.

Peppery spice. Stong alcohol warming. Malty with an interesting fruity bitterness. Alcohol really warms the body as this beer warms itself up. Very satisfying, but not over the top.

I really enjoy this one. First of all, the label is no-nonsense. It doesn't even tell you what style (this ones a quad) it is. I love it.

It's below freezing outside, and this beer really hits the spot! A very well balanced and amazingly tasty beer.

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Looks dark brown with some light that comes through around the edges. The head is generous and retention is beyond words. Lacing is also very good.

S - Sweet caramel aromas dominate. I could detect some bitter fruit and alcohol in the background. There is also some spiciness in there as well. Could be allspice.

T - Sweet caramel is also primary in taste. The spice comes through more in the flavor and is peppery and sharp. That gets balanced by a fruity citrus flavor. Alcohol is present throughout but really does not show any real strength until the aftertaste.

M - Medium to full bodied. Very good carbonation. Very warm finish.

D - Drinkability is good. The beer is complex and plays the part of the sipping beer very well.

4.77/5  rDev +5.8%

Exceptional!!!

Its smell is great and the taste is amazing.

It's strong and heavy. Its contains in alcohol

is very high, but its not an impediment.

One of the best beers in the wolrd, I think.

Obligatory to taste.

Ciao tutti!!!

Beer is the great think humans has discovered!!!

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance: This one pours a murky brown color topped briefly by a little more than a finger of a foamy tan head.

Smell: The nose has notes of syrah, roasted malts, maple syrup, plumb, fig, clove, cinnamon, and Belgian yeast.

Taste: Sweet caramel malts, brown sugar, and cinnamon kickoff the flavor profile. Roasty malts come in as the beer settles in the mid-palate. It's as if the beer fairy swooped in and spilled two ounces of porter in my quadrupel. Plumb, raisin, fig, and apple take over for the roasted malts before phenols, Belgian yeast, and clove swoop in, joining sweet caramel malts and spiced rum for the finish. I'm on the fence between 4.5 and 5.0.

Mouthfeel: This is medium-bodied and smooth with a sticky, lingering aftertaste. No shortage of carbonation in here.

Drinkability: This is a fantastic quad and it's uniquely roasty for the style without deviating too far from the style guidelines. Quaffability suffers as the alcohol becomes very noticeable at the finish as the beer warms, but it does contributed positive characteristics to the taste. Fantastic beer overall. Well worth a try.

4.64/5  rDev +2.9%

This would have been my first rated beverage but I hadn't been a member yet for the required 24 hours...so I got another bottle.

A-Poured a deep brown, forming a thick beige 2-finger head that left light lacing.

S-Fig and raisin w/other lighter fruits and berries, dates, tobacco, light cocoa, toffee, very faint hops, grapes, spice, and toasty biscuit. There is also a warming alcohol wafting off.

T-Upfront, it is toasty w/dried fruit and wildberry; dates, chocolate, and spice shine through at midpalate, and the slight hop bitterness balances the finish out w/warm, chocolaty alcohol that reemerges.

M-The balanced, creamy smoothness is top-notch, and the carbonation is just right. Every sip makes you feel good.

D-Amazingly smooth, and delicious. I'd like to try aging a few bottles to see the result.

4.16/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a dark, murky brown.
Aroma is of chocolate and dark, sweet fruits, with a bit of alcohol. Extremely nice aroma.
Taste is of sweet malts, toffee and a slight bit of chocolate. The alcohol is hot, and comes through at the end with a little kick int he back of the throat. A little age would probably tone that down.
Mouthfeel is excellent. Very creamy and smooth.
The alcohol burn is a bit much right now. The bottle is only about 4 months old. Toned down this would be much more drinkable. As it stands now, it's a very good beer. I'll have to grab a few more and hang onto them for a few years to see what happens.

4.74/5  rDev +5.1%

I can't believe I've never had this one before. Relaxing Sunday morning, nice time to enjoy one of the true classics. Date: 2012. Into the Orval goblet...

A - A small amount of head peaks up from the dark body, and shows good retention. No complaints.

S - Very fruit forward, cherry tartness, plum, grape and other dark fruits. Yogurt like lactic notes mix in with hints of funk. Also picking up a lot of vanilla. Alcohol is there, but not very assertive for an 11.3% beer. Truely beautiful.

T - A lot of backbone to this beer. Compared to other quads I've tried (Alpha Kong, Konigshoven, Three Philosophers, St. Bernardus 12) this seems to take a drier quality from the alcohol and hops, leading to a more complex and structured beer. Enters tart and fruity, lots of cherry, strawberry, and apple. Also noted a sweeter plum quality that seemed to linger, and grow stronger in the finish. The dry backbone takes over in the finish, along with a quality that reminds me of some of the drier bourbons I've enjoyed. This really is a beautiful beer.

M - Crisp, not to heavy, what one expects from a Belgian Trappist brew.

D - This is a wonderful treat. I remember once seeing a table a Hopleaf where three guys were ordering round after round of this beer. At $10 a bottle I was shocked, and after drinking it I still can't say I would do it, but I do have to say it would be hard for too many other beers to compete with this balanced and complex offering.

3.19/5  rDev -29.3%

Dark mahagony brown and opaque. Two finger, pillowy, off white head in my Czechvar glass. Little to no carbonation. Good head retention.
The nose is musty and earthy. Not particularly pleasant. It mellows as it warms with a whiff of gouda cheese. Taste is anice from black licorice and slightly peppery. Alcohol becomes evident in the finish. One of the highest ranked beers in BA, yet I question why. Not sure why the disconnect, but the brew is too uninspired for my taste.

4.12/5  rDev -8.6%

330 ml bottle into a tulip glass

A: Hazy dark brown body. Two finger tan head that stuck for a little while before disappearing to a cloud.

S: Rich, full aroma with dark fruits, caramel malt, and a touch of alcohol.

T: Alcohol bites the tongue immediately, interfering with a powerful and delicious combination of malt, sugar, ripe dark fruit, and a touch of spice.

M: Medium-full body with above average carbonation, cutting into the smoothness. Warming throughout, with some alcohol burn (after it warmed a bit) at the sweet, tasty finish.

D: With all that flavor it's a sipper with or without the 11.3% abv. It's a damn fine sipper - but the alcohol is a bit much for me, which, I suppose, is why I prefer the 8 (which is one of my favorites).

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

11.2 ounce bottle purchased from the Beverages and More location in Mira Loma, last one there and have not seen many since they supposedly stopped importing them here, for about seven dollars, split with my roommate tonight, poured into my Three Philosophers glass

A-Deep dark brown with a red tint, 3/4 inch off white head that did not settle for five minutes, then left a nice soft pillow in the middle of the glass, nice retention, great lacing

S-Brown sugar, Belgian yeast, variety of malts, maple syrup, different dark fruits, sweetness, booze, ginger, grapes, cinnamon, caramel, raisins, and most of all spices

T-Reminded me of Westy immediately, just missing the strong malt backbone, this one had more spices going on though, big ginger and coriander tastes from the very beginning, did not have much taste while cold so I let it sit another twenty minutes before my next sip, then sweet flavors of prunes and raisins came with some sweet caramel and strong spice in the finish, this beer will probably age wonderfully

M-Medium plus body, creamy mouthfeel, sweet at times with cherries and plums, taste lingered longer than any other Belgian I have ever tasted, thickness was deceiving, also pleasantly spicy

D-Could have drank a few bottles of this stuff because the alcohol is hidden pretty well, but then I would have immediately had to have gone to bed because it is over eleven percent, smooth, just a high ABV

Been holding onto this bottle for a little while and finally decided to pop it tonight, tasted a lot like a Westvleteren 12 and definitely much cheaper for us in the states, plan on aging other bottles for a significant amount of time, one of the best quadrupels I have ever tasted, plan on drinking the 6 and 8 soon to compare them to the other trappist beers, but this one measured up nicely, definitely deserves to be in the top twenty beers on this site, recommended

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks to Jw347 for the extra.

Pours black with with a deep red tint to it. The head is a 2 finger+ that lingers for a very long time and leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. It is frothy and beautiful. The aroma is of sweet cherries, dark fruits, alcohol, and malt. I smell no hops. The taste is very well balanced and very complex. The initial taste has a lot of sweet malt and lots of alcohol. The alcohol continues to play on my tongue while the a slight hop bitterness balances the sweetness nicely. The grape/cherry flavor is in the finish and is very sweet. The mouthfeel is excellent and the beer is very well carbonated. The beer is pretty damn drinkable for the high abv.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

This, my friends, is true craftsmanship. I'm still on the new side of Trappist Ales (I'm well versed in their history - Thanks, Mr. Jackson - but this is only my second tasting of the fruit of the Trappist breweries' labor.

Appearance: Deep copper/light brown hue under a three finger rocky off-white head.

Smell: Lots of complexity...fruity esters and lots of malt, along with the hops and the alcohol is definitely present...balanced ridiculously well.

Taste: To quote myself, "...balanced ridiculously well." Delicious toasted malt flavor, balanced with fruit that I couldn't completely pick out, other than plum and maybe a little grape. There were probably 5 other fruits present as well, somewhere in there. The hops added a welcome bitterness and the alcohol fumed all up in there. (It's a strong beer, folks.)

Mouthfeel: Such a full body on this beer. It's classified as a quadrupel, and to that, I'll agree. It's malty as all get-out. The alcohol warmed me up all the way from the tip of my tongue down my throat, and the hops only enhanced the grown-up nature of this Trappist ale.

Drinkability: It's the fullest-bodied Trappist I've had thus far. And it's absolutely delicious. It's worth every bit of the $8/bottle, so sip slowly and savor. I love Belgium.

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle a dark brown/burnt amber color with a light fizzy beige head.

Aroma of caramel, molasses, dark ripe fruits, spices, and booze.

The taste is warm and sharp. Dark fruit, spices, malts, red wine, and alcohol mingle nicely with every sip.

Medium mouthfeel, creamy, and sharply carbonated.

A great warming beer for a cold winter day. Very nice.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort