Fat Cat Lager - The Fat Cat Beer Company

Beer added by: JeffreyG on 08-27-2002

to view more.
Ratings: 73 | Reviews: 43
1.13/5  rDev -63.3%

Just not a very well made beer.

1.89/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

355ml can, 5.2% ABV by the import label, from one of those shabby, dime-a-dozen liquor stores around town that scream out Minhas associations of some sort or another.

This beer pours a hazy, dark orangish apricot amber colour, with four rambunctious fingers of puffy, densely foamy, and even a bit creamy ecru head, which leaves a few random chunks of retarded sudsy cloud form lace around the glass as it rather quickly sinks away.

It smells of semi-sweet grainy pale malt, a bit of that high fructose corn syrup weirdness, artificial flavoured orange and banana marshmallow peanuts, and a certain, almost damned-near trademarked by now, plastic acetone essence. The taste is more of the same pre-established shit - corny, pale-malt adjacent graininess, a blended fruitiness quite unlikely found in nature, and even more unpleasant industrial plastic factory effluence. Hops? Yer at the wrong party, amigo.

The carbonation is pretty stilted, just a weak hum throughout, after that initial pourgasm maybe, the body a pithy, clammy piece of work, and smooth like your last buddy-buddy car salesman. It finishes off-dry, I guess, but I stopped thinking about this as beer a few sentences or so ago.

It would seem that this brand has gone through at least 2 contract brewers, so that would put them in their terrible twos, which is an apt metaphor for Minhas (at least the Wisconsin set at the present time). Here's hoping that this marketing company comes to their senses the next time around, for their sake.

3.57/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Fat Cat pours out a hazy burnt orange color with a head that retains very well. The aroma is deep and malty, with a touch of macro-esque twang that honestly doesn't work too bad. The taste offers a well-developed caramel malt, without much else to hang out. That said, it's tasty, but lacking in any depth whatsoever. The mouthfeel is light for sure, but has a little heft and smoothness to help the malts along. The drinkability is good. Overall, Fat Cat is a solid malty lager.

4.9/5  rDev +59.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is by far the most refreshing tasty mouthful of deliciousness I have ever experienced in a session beer. I recommend that anyone who gets the chance to taste this beer, do it! It is amazing, with a malty toasted arome and slightly bitter crisp taste and a dry finish. I wish it was available in San Diego, although I hear it is coming soon.

2.96/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a dark gold with a 2 finger head. A little lacing on the sides of the glass.

Aroma of lager yeast mixed with metallic smell and lots of sweet malt.

Straight up malt sweetness in the taste, little to no hop presence. Buttery toffee and caramel flavor.

Mouthfeel is not bad, medium with good carbonation.

Way too sweet for me but light enough to make it drinkable on a hot day.

3.32/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Dollars to doughnuts, this is one of the best. As the can reads, "Malt, hops, water, bla bla bla, what more can I tell ya? It's jest plain ol' good beer!"

It's like good cheap diner food ...but in beer format. It doesn't really conform to any style per se, but say yes to the wiley pie-eyed cat. It far surpasses any of the American pißwassers and even some of the PBRs, Naty Bohs, Rolling Rocks, and Yuenglings for comparable or lesser price.

3.62/5  rDev +17.5%

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I picked up a 12 pack of it for novelty's sake, and well... Here I am.

It pours to a beautiful golden/orange amber. I noted that the color of the beer actually matches the orange the can upon my first pouring.

The carbonation is medium and creates a decent mouth feel.

Lacing is actually pretty close to perfect in the glass.

The smell is damn near perfect for what it is. If I were to try to explain to someone what beer smells like, I might give them a can of this. Sure, there are more complex smells out there, but this one is just beer... "that's what beer smells like"...

The taste is a contemporary lager. No real complexities. No subtle accents. It is what it is. It really reminds me of the first home brew lager I made when I was around 22. It's malty with a slight twinge of floral hops... The alcohol content is there without being overbearing.

No, I don't think it deserves an A, or even a B+, really. It's a good example. A benchmark. we can leave it at that.

For a moderately price novelty I saw on a shelf and kind of laughingly purchased, I was kind of surprised.

4.61/5  rDev +49.7%

I had this one at a small dive bar on tap for a buck a pour (1 pint) its great beer for a great price. The initial look of it is light, golden had a great head that lasted for a good amount of time. Smell of a bit of corn, kind of like a Pabst. Its mainly a basic lager mouth feel but its good for after the expensive beer. The taste was nice, crisp clean and down to the point. Worth it!

3.08/5  rDev 0%

Shared by Paul for some reason. Thanks.

Beer is dark yellow, clear, no real head, no lacing, low retention, low carbonation.

Aroma is sweet and corny.

Beer is medium to light in body and sweet with a heavy finish. Not very good but not too horrid. I don't think I'd ever have it again but it is a new brewery and worth a look. Mildly corn / grain finish on the backend.

3.38/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a 12 oz can into my tulip.

A - Cloudy orange brown pour with a similarly colored half finger of head that disspaites vey quickly.

S – Lot of malt in the nose and almost a sour like smell undertone. Caramel.

T – Malty exactly like the smell. Faint taste of grain. Surprisingly sweet taste. Nice floral fruit taste. A touch of bitterness at the close.

M – Crisp and clean. Medium bodied and medium carbonation.

O – This is a pretty decent brew and highly drinkable. I could have a few of these on a hot summer day. Absolutely worth a try.

3.33/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a light to medium amber in color with a good half inch of bubbly head. Plenty of carbonation, clean in appearance.

Aroma is pretty bland. Some sweet malt, a bit of a sour presence. Stewed cereal/grains basically.

A few sips into this and it drinks slightly above the macros. Some grainy flavors, a bit of sweetness and lots of bubbles on the tongue. Easy to drink on a warm day and at 4% a nice choice for an all day BBQ.

Nothing overly exciting, nothing really offputting, just a very straightforward beer company beer. Clever marketing and a cat on the can and voila - perhaps people will buy it.

3.47/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can with no freshness date, a newer batch from the one we reviewed in the mag.

Clear and copper, head suffers but enough lacing stays around. Smells of caramel and taffy with some toasted graininess. Malty sweetish body, pretty clean with a mild graininess. Modest hopping balances. Hint of alcohol and cooked veggies in the middle. Sweet finish, but not so sweet that another sip is not in order.

Not half bad, the real factor will be pricing ... the value is there but only to a certain level with many other craft lagers in the market.

3.77/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The legendary woodychandler comes through again with another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a caramel color with orange hues and a 1 inch head. Smell is big on malts, biscuts, a touch of sweetness. Taste is also very malty, some biscuts and hops, more subdued than the smell. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a quality brew.

3.26/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer pours light brown and orange, slightly cloudy, with a small off-white head that dissipates fairly rapidly.

The aroma is malty, biscuity, yeasty and fruity.

The taste is slightly sweet, a bit of slightly burnt caramel, malty and fruity with a slightly bitter and dry finish.

This is a nice amber/vienna lager, and nothing like its packaging and price range (less than $9 for a twelve pack) would suggest. It is brewed and canned in Monroe, Wisconsin so apparently contract brewed by Minhas.

3.36/5  rDev +9.1%

As the can reads "Malt. Hops, Water. blah, blah, blah. what more can I tell ya? It's just plain ol' good beer"

For an orange can with a silly slogan, it is actually good taste and overall mouthfeel. Amber in color, this beer is perfect for quenching your thirst on a warm, summer day. It the end its nothing spectacular but it is a definitely a 'plain ol' good beer".

4.13/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was brewed and canned in good ol' Monroe, WI; 10 minutes from Granny's farm. Makes me feel proud.

A - The brew pours a surprisingly radiant orange-goldenrod hue, and is capped with a generous volume of ecru froth. The color of this beer is almost identical to that of the can.

S - The nose is the weakest link; there is a mineral-citric quality akin to lime seltzer water, but little else.

T - The flavor is malty-sweet, ever-so-slightly, and has a rich English character (or Viennese) that suggests biscuits, caramel, toffee, and toast. Herbal hops are subdued but discernible. There is a fruity yeast character that is minor, but sublime, and contributes impressions of stone fruit. The deeper I get into this, the more amazed I am at the rich complexity of this Lager.

M - Silky, smooth, softly carbonated.

O - This is a shockingly good beer, albeit subtle. It compares very favorably to SA Boston Lager.

3.3/5  rDev +7.1%

I was a little scared to try this one and probably never would have tried it had it not been the only option in my brother's refrigerator.

The appearance was decent, surprisingly it was slightly amber in color with a not to impressive head.

Smell and taste were also surprising for my expectations. Kinda bready and carmely with a slight hop aftertaste.

Over all it wasn't a bad beer, better than what I expected. I found myself reaching back into my brothers refrigerator for two more and I'll drink some more if he's still serving Fat Cat but I would never waste my own money on it.

Side note: The Fat Cat I had was labeled as "brewed by MD II in Madison, Wisconsin" not San Diego California as the listing says

3.41/5  rDev +10.7%

A- 4 This looks surprisingly nice on the pour out of the can. It is a golden rust orange color with a big 1.5 finger off-white head that mellows down to under 1/4" throughout. It has slippery smooth lacing but non-uniform bubbles.

S- 3 It is pungent but very malt-heavy. I get a hint of orange as well, and also bread / yeast.

T- 3.5 Well, this is unique! Orange comes to mind initially as I first sip it, and then there is a roasted malt that dominates. It is almost nutty even. It is not shabby, but a strange combo and different from most lagers that I've had. Interesting.

M- 3.5 Not a bad feel to this; it is medium-light in body and high in carbonation. Fairly smooth.

D- 3.5 I could easily put down a few of these, though I probably wouldn't want more than a couple. It is unique for what I've tried. I find it a little off-balanced on the malt side but there are some other notes coming through. Not my favorite combination of flavors but decent... For 5.99/12-pack, I can't complain. Better than the average mass-produced domestic anyway!

2.26/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Well, this one had been sitting in my fridge for about 2 months and I decided I'd pop it. I've had this beer before, way back in my college days, let's try it again.

Pale yellow, light see through body. No surprise, but the head didn't seem as billow-y as I thought it should be. Yeah, it bulked up, but seemed soapy. No lacing.

Musky malt aroma, sweet. Stale. Ick

taste is on spot for an American Adjunct lager...not Vienna. Light, sweet, stale malty. Corn underlying. Served butt cold, thankfully. Started to warm...I had to drink quickly.

Eh, perhaps a lawn-mowing beer, but it doesn't finish crisp enough

3.28/5  rDev +6.5%

I think I paid $6.99 for a 12 pack of this so my expectations aren't the highest going in. . .
A - Clear, amber color with thick, bubbly, off-white foam. Little lacing though.

S - I didn't get much on the nose. Very muted

T - a little hoppiness comes across but not as snappy as I would like from this style

M - not a ton of body but its more substantial than normal domestic piss. Good for the price

D - Nothing wrong with the beer. clean finish and the fact that it comes in a can mean that I can probably drink several.

2.34/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz orange can. 5.99 a 12 pack.

It pours a clear orange with a frothy eggshell colored head. The head is fizzy but has some decent retention.

It smells like hoppy dough. That doesn't really mean it is hoppy, just it smell like if you rolled around some hop leaves in some sweet dough.

The flavor is a bit heartier than your typical adjunct lager, but it is much lighter than a malt liquor, it is like a bastard melding of the two. I wouldn't go so far as to say it is a vienna lager, maybe it is brewed with vienna malt but i can't really taste it.

3.06/5  rDev -0.6%

A: Crystal clear, and medium amber. Nice off white tan head. Decent amount of bubbles coming up through the beer.

S: Some sweet and tart notes. Bready, with almost a dark bread thing going on a bit. The tart thing seems really out of place.

T: There is a tart sharpness to it. But besides that there are some bread notes, a bit of sweetness, and some biscuit flavors. Almost a hint of raisons in there.

M: Medium bodied. Carbonation seems about right.

D: Decent, but not great. I could see this being a pretty good choice for a hot summer bbq. But then again, there are a lot of canned beers out there that are way better. Average all around.

This is the definition of a hipster beer. The same people who drink this stuff are the same people who ironically drink PBR, pretending its cool, which it is not. This beer is exactly what you would think it is and has no distinguishing features other than the cute can.

Poured into my Samuel Adam's Glass at 40 degrees.

Appearance: A frothy two finger head that is a light creamy orange with poor retention. The color of the beer is a medium copper color with reddish hues. The clarity of the beer is clear to brilliant. There is some carbonation bubbles in the beer.

Nose: A funky caramel aroma with toastiness. There is a rich solvent aroma that is sticky sweet. There are light notes of floral and oranges.

Taste: The funky flavor carries over to the taste. The malt is thin caramel, sweet, and toasty. There are notes of floral and oranges.

The mouth feel of the beer is thin and watery.

Overall: The body of the beer is thin and the finish is medium thin. This beer is not at all good. The nose gives an English barleywine aroma and the taste is just a cross between an American Adjunct lager and a red ale that is sweet and under hopped.

4.17/5  rDev +35.4%

The CANano has been drinking, the CANano has been drinking, but not me! I love Tom Waits as a songwriter and a pianist, but as a singer, oof. Did anybody else notice that the carpet needs a haircut and the telephone is out of cigarettes? The CANQuest (TM) is going retro on this one, boy. The cat looks like a cross between Krazy Kat, Mooch, and Fritz the Cat. F**k. I used to smoke cigars and I think I may have hung out with this cat once before. I do not recommend my life for our younger viewers.

From the (minimalist) CAN: "'We gottit made!"; "Malt, hops, water, bla, bla, bla, what more [CAN] I tell ya? It's just plain ol' good beer!" Now, that's good ad copy! Whaddya need? Hey, you jagov, jest keep movin' if ya know what's good fer ya!

The Crack & Glug produced a little better than a finger of ecru head with better retention than the Bros experienced. Note: please see me if you would like to see the Glug pour performed before your very eyes. It CAN be done in the privacy of your own home or on-stage as audience size may dictate. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber, hence the CAN's color. I really dig truth in advertising. Nose was very malty-sweet with a hint of hops underlying the sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium with a really honey-like lager sweetness on the tongue. I may be jaded following so many clinkers out of a CAN, but this was both pleasant and enjoyable. This was unencumbered lager, plain and simple. Finish was unobtrusive, slightly sweet, but not sugary and unquestionably lager. I really liked this and would certainly put it in my infamous beach cooler. Where CAN I get some more?

to view more.