Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Fat Cat Lager - The Fat Cat Beer Company

Fat Cat LagerFat Cat Lager

The Fat Cat Beer Company

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: JeffreyG on 08-27-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Cat Lager Alström Bros
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.9/5  rDev +58.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is by far the most refreshing tasty mouthful of deliciousness I have ever experienced in a session beer. I recommend that anyone who gets the chance to taste this beer, do it! It is amazing, with a malty toasted arome and slightly bitter crisp taste and a dry finish. I wish it was available in San Diego, although I hear it is coming soon.

4.61/5  rDev +49.2%

I had this one at a small dive bar on tap for a buck a pour (1 pint) its great beer for a great price. The initial look of it is light, golden had a great head that lasted for a good amount of time. Smell of a bit of corn, kind of like a Pabst. Its mainly a basic lager mouth feel but its good for after the expensive beer. The taste was nice, crisp clean and down to the point. Worth it!

4.17/5  rDev +35%

The CANano has been drinking, the CANano has been drinking, but not me! I love Tom Waits as a songwriter and a pianist, but as a singer, oof. Did anybody else notice that the carpet needs a haircut and the telephone is out of cigarettes? The CANQuest (TM) is going retro on this one, boy. The cat looks like a cross between Krazy Kat, Mooch, and Fritz the Cat. F**k. I used to smoke cigars and I think I may have hung out with this cat once before. I do not recommend my life for our younger viewers.

From the (minimalist) CAN: "'We gottit made!"; "Malt, hops, water, bla, bla, bla, what more [CAN] I tell ya? It's just plain ol' good beer!" Now, that's good ad copy! Whaddya need? Hey, you jagov, jest keep movin' if ya know what's good fer ya!

The Crack & Glug produced a little better than a finger of ecru head with better retention than the Bros experienced. Note: please see me if you would like to see the Glug pour performed before your very eyes. It CAN be done in the privacy of your own home or on-stage as audience size may dictate. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber, hence the CAN's color. I really dig truth in advertising. Nose was very malty-sweet with a hint of hops underlying the sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium with a really honey-like lager sweetness on the tongue. I may be jaded following so many clinkers out of a CAN, but this was both pleasant and enjoyable. This was unencumbered lager, plain and simple. Finish was unobtrusive, slightly sweet, but not sugary and unquestionably lager. I really liked this and would certainly put it in my infamous beach cooler. Where CAN I get some more?

4.13/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was brewed and canned in good ol' Monroe, WI; 10 minutes from Granny's farm. Makes me feel proud.

A - The brew pours a surprisingly radiant orange-goldenrod hue, and is capped with a generous volume of ecru froth. The color of this beer is almost identical to that of the can.

S - The nose is the weakest link; there is a mineral-citric quality akin to lime seltzer water, but little else.

T - The flavor is malty-sweet, ever-so-slightly, and has a rich English character (or Viennese) that suggests biscuits, caramel, toffee, and toast. Herbal hops are subdued but discernible. There is a fruity yeast character that is minor, but sublime, and contributes impressions of stone fruit. The deeper I get into this, the more amazed I am at the rich complexity of this Lager.

M - Silky, smooth, softly carbonated.

O - This is a shockingly good beer, albeit subtle. It compares very favorably to SA Boston Lager.

3.88/5  rDev +25.6%

A= pours a nuclear orange color like has been described in other reviews it looks like there may have been food coloring added. A small one finger head rises and falls from it with no lacing.
S= like a refreshing beer. Semisweet and watery.
T= like beer. It sort of has a hop taste maybe and a little sweet malt but mostly just beer and adjunct..
M= smooth crisp and refreshing.
D= very high. Ill be enjoying these all summer. What a great cheap beer.

3.77/5  rDev +22%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The legendary woodychandler comes through again with another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a caramel color with orange hues and a 1 inch head. Smell is big on malts, biscuts, a touch of sweetness. Taste is also very malty, some biscuts and hops, more subdued than the smell. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a quality brew.

3.62/5  rDev +17.2%

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I picked up a 12 pack of it for novelty's sake, and well... Here I am.

It pours to a beautiful golden/orange amber. I noted that the color of the beer actually matches the orange the can upon my first pouring.

The carbonation is medium and creates a decent mouth feel.

Lacing is actually pretty close to perfect in the glass.

The smell is damn near perfect for what it is. If I were to try to explain to someone what beer smells like, I might give them a can of this. Sure, there are more complex smells out there, but this one is just beer... "that's what beer smells like"...

The taste is a contemporary lager. No real complexities. No subtle accents. It is what it is. It really reminds me of the first home brew lager I made when I was around 22. It's malty with a slight twinge of floral hops... The alcohol content is there without being overbearing.

No, I don't think it deserves an A, or even a B+, really. It's a good example. A benchmark. we can leave it at that.

For a moderately price novelty I saw on a shelf and kind of laughingly purchased, I was kind of surprised.

3.57/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Fat Cat pours out a hazy burnt orange color with a head that retains very well. The aroma is deep and malty, with a touch of macro-esque twang that honestly doesn't work too bad. The taste offers a well-developed caramel malt, without much else to hang out. That said, it's tasty, but lacking in any depth whatsoever. The mouthfeel is light for sure, but has a little heft and smoothness to help the malts along. The drinkability is good. Overall, Fat Cat is a solid malty lager.

3.48/5  rDev +12.6%

My arm was twisted into trying this last night.

Pour: Light golden-amber color with a finger of white head that dissipates kinda fast. A little bit of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Wow, this doesn't have the slightest bit of skunky aroma! Caramel and pale malt, some fruit, and a slight burnt sugar note.

Taste: Wow, I'm surprised! A caramel malty front and middle, yeasty middle, and a molasses and brown sugar bittersweet finish. Not skunky or grainy at all.

Mouthfeel: Light, clean, and crisp. Fair amount of carbonation in this one.

Drinkability: I can pound these all day. Refreshing.

Final Notes: I actually, for some reason, really like this beer. An ideal beer to take with you to the beach or tailgating when you can't carry glassware and just want to drink straight from a can. Your lesser-beer drinking buddies will also appreciate it, I think.

3.47/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can with no freshness date, a newer batch from the one we reviewed in the mag.

Clear and copper, head suffers but enough lacing stays around. Smells of caramel and taffy with some toasted graininess. Malty sweetish body, pretty clean with a mild graininess. Modest hopping balances. Hint of alcohol and cooked veggies in the middle. Sweet finish, but not so sweet that another sip is not in order.

Not half bad, the real factor will be pricing ... the value is there but only to a certain level with many other craft lagers in the market.

3.41/5  rDev +10.4%

A- 4 This looks surprisingly nice on the pour out of the can. It is a golden rust orange color with a big 1.5 finger off-white head that mellows down to under 1/4" throughout. It has slippery smooth lacing but non-uniform bubbles.

S- 3 It is pungent but very malt-heavy. I get a hint of orange as well, and also bread / yeast.

T- 3.5 Well, this is unique! Orange comes to mind initially as I first sip it, and then there is a roasted malt that dominates. It is almost nutty even. It is not shabby, but a strange combo and different from most lagers that I've had. Interesting.

M- 3.5 Not a bad feel to this; it is medium-light in body and high in carbonation. Fairly smooth.

D- 3.5 I could easily put down a few of these, though I probably wouldn't want more than a couple. It is unique for what I've tried. I find it a little off-balanced on the malt side but there are some other notes coming through. Not my favorite combination of flavors but decent... For 5.99/12-pack, I can't complain. Better than the average mass-produced domestic anyway!

3.4/5  rDev +10%

A - Slightly cloudy orange color, (looks a lot like the can!). Head is offwhite settles at an eighth inch . A fair amount of lacing going on here.

S - Rich caramel malts but slightly sweet, sort of reminds me of a weizenbock scent.

T - Taste is at first mostly malty but is quickly rounded off with a sugary sweetness somewhat akin to sweetcorn that lasts until after you swallow.

M - Carbonation brings a crispness to it and the consistency is thin but is able to leave a lasting taste.

D - Not bad at all, certainly better than I had anticipated. The guy who said it tasted like transmission fluid or whatever definitely got a bad batch.
Sweet can design.

3.4/5  rDev +10%

A - Poured out a clear, amber color with a one-finger head of thick, bubbly, off-white foam. It had okay retention but left very little lace.

S - It smelled of rich malts, grain and caramel. Slight floral hop aroma, too.

T - Nice malty/caramel flavor. There was a slight hop bitterness.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light bodied lager that finishes clean and dry.

D - Honestly, this beer shocked me. My brother-in-law had one sitting around and I had really low expectations for it. However, it was surprisingly tasty.

3.38/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a 12 oz can into my tulip.

A - Cloudy orange brown pour with a similarly colored half finger of head that disspaites vey quickly.

S – Lot of malt in the nose and almost a sour like smell undertone. Caramel.

T – Malty exactly like the smell. Faint taste of grain. Surprisingly sweet taste. Nice floral fruit taste. A touch of bitterness at the close.

M – Crisp and clean. Medium bodied and medium carbonation.

O – This is a pretty decent brew and highly drinkable. I could have a few of these on a hot summer day. Absolutely worth a try.

3.36/5  rDev +8.7%

As the can reads "Malt. Hops, Water. blah, blah, blah. what more can I tell ya? It's just plain ol' good beer"

For an orange can with a silly slogan, it is actually good taste and overall mouthfeel. Amber in color, this beer is perfect for quenching your thirst on a warm, summer day. It the end its nothing spectacular but it is a definitely a 'plain ol' good beer".

3.33/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a light to medium amber in color with a good half inch of bubbly head. Plenty of carbonation, clean in appearance.

Aroma is pretty bland. Some sweet malt, a bit of a sour presence. Stewed cereal/grains basically.

A few sips into this and it drinks slightly above the macros. Some grainy flavors, a bit of sweetness and lots of bubbles on the tongue. Easy to drink on a warm day and at 4% a nice choice for an all day BBQ.

Nothing overly exciting, nothing really offputting, just a very straightforward beer company beer. Clever marketing and a cat on the can and voila - perhaps people will buy it.

3.32/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Dollars to doughnuts, this is one of the best. As the can reads, "Malt, hops, water, bla bla bla, what more can I tell ya? It's jest plain ol' good beer!"

It's like good cheap diner food ...but in beer format. It doesn't really conform to any style per se, but say yes to the wiley pie-eyed cat. It far surpasses any of the American pißwassers and even some of the PBRs, Naty Bohs, Rolling Rocks, and Yuenglings for comparable or lesser price.

3.3/5  rDev +6.8%

I was a little scared to try this one and probably never would have tried it had it not been the only option in my brother's refrigerator.

The appearance was decent, surprisingly it was slightly amber in color with a not to impressive head.

Smell and taste were also surprising for my expectations. Kinda bready and carmely with a slight hop aftertaste.

Over all it wasn't a bad beer, better than what I expected. I found myself reaching back into my brothers refrigerator for two more and I'll drink some more if he's still serving Fat Cat but I would never waste my own money on it.

Side note: The Fat Cat I had was labeled as "brewed by MD II in Madison, Wisconsin" not San Diego California as the listing says

3.28/5  rDev +6.1%

I think I paid $6.99 for a 12 pack of this so my expectations aren't the highest going in. . .
A - Clear, amber color with thick, bubbly, off-white foam. Little lacing though.

S - I didn't get much on the nose. Very muted

T - a little hoppiness comes across but not as snappy as I would like from this style

M - not a ton of body but its more substantial than normal domestic piss. Good for the price

D - Nothing wrong with the beer. clean finish and the fact that it comes in a can mean that I can probably drink several.

3.26/5  rDev +5.5%

Well I wasn't really expecting much with this beer and actually I was pleasantly surprised. I found out about this beer on this site and I always kept an eye out for it. I finally found it being sold in single cans. I figure since Mn Brewing is bankrupt, they are just trying to get rid of it. I does have a nice deep orange color to it and a surprising foamyness that sticks in white lace. Taste is mostly malt with a slight hop bitterness. I'd take this over most American Style Lagers (esp. the macros). While it is enjoyable I don't know if it is a drink all day kind of beer. I'll test that out on my labor day weekend fishing trip. I was looking for another decent beer in cans (no bottles allowed)!

3.26/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer pours light brown and orange, slightly cloudy, with a small off-white head that dissipates fairly rapidly.

The aroma is malty, biscuity, yeasty and fruity.

The taste is slightly sweet, a bit of slightly burnt caramel, malty and fruity with a slightly bitter and dry finish.

This is a nice amber/vienna lager, and nothing like its packaging and price range (less than $9 for a twelve pack) would suggest. It is brewed and canned in Monroe, Wisconsin so apparently contract brewed by Minhas.

3.2/5  rDev +3.6%

This one is a staple in my house, which is a good thing, for the style and price this beer goes great on a summer afternoon. Nice orange copper pour but no head to speak of after a real short time. Aroma is of a typical vienna lager, malt. Taste is much of the same, mostly base malt, with a touch of specialty caramel malts and possibly even a tinge of rye (probably not). Some hops just to balance it out. This is a very drinkable beer as are most in this style, but what I like is that at $6.49/12 pack, I get no hints of crappy additives in this beer, their may be a touch of corn, but it tastes pretty good.

3.18/5  rDev +2.9%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #32 (Sep 2009):

The retro marketing pushes us to drink straight from the can, but we resist and find our non-logoed pint tumblers.

A thick froth crackles to a thin ring of lace; filtered clarity displays the copper color. Sweet malty aroma with suggestions of cooked corn, caramel, brown bread and fresh-cut grass. Slick and a tad thin, with sufficient crispness. Quick sting of hop bitterness is enough to keep the sweetness from tipping the front over. More graininess with toasted bread crust flavors middle to end. Semidry with a bit of vegetal and herbal taste in the finish.

Sometimes beer is just beer; perhaps this is not the poster beer for Vienna Lagers, but it does quench the thirst. Aside from the poor head retention, this is your basic quaffable Amber Lager.

3.18/5  rDev +2.9%

Great can, someone should get a picture of this on here. (I've been informed that it's the same can as the previous makers of this had).
I found this not too bad. The color is pumpkin orange with a tannish head that was short-lived.
Aroma was pretty non-descript, but largely a malt quality.
The taste fit a macro style with a mild malt base and a shot of not-unpleasant bitterness for the finish. And even better it stayed decently flavorful even as it warmed.
The feel was typically thin.
This is not bad for a cheap macro-style lager. The flavor characteristics are more positive than not.

3.11/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a deep reddish-orange in color, very clear/NB and with a bit of chill haze. A rocky, two-fingered, off-white head tops this one, and settles slowly, leaving behind relatively good arcs of lace.

Nose is semi-sour/tangy, and a bit metallic. Lightly vegetal, and ever-so-slightly acidic.

Thinner and crisper than I recall it being, but with a nice tangy-sweetness followed by a very mild, lingering bitterness. This one isn't as fresh as it should be but there's a nice beer in this can, somewhere . . . a sessioner in fact.

Just about par for the style, and a good value at under $8 a 12-pack.

The exectuion of this recipe by Minhas is indeed quite admirable, as compared from memory to the first batch I tried (which was Melanie @ Lacrosse City Brewery.)

Packaged 10085. Brewed in Monroe.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast