Fat Cat Lager - The Fat Cat Beer Company

Fat Cat LagerFat Cat Lager

The Fat Cat Beer Company

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 10-26-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fat Cat Lager Alström Bros
4.91/5  rDev +57.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is by far the most refreshing tasty mouthful of deliciousness I have ever experienced in a session beer. I recommend that anyone who gets the chance to taste this beer, do it! It is amazing, with a malty toasted arome and slightly bitter crisp taste and a dry finish. I wish it was available in San Diego, although I hear it is coming soon.

4.65/5  rDev +49.5%

I had this one at a small dive bar on tap for a buck a pour (1 pint) its great beer for a great price. The initial look of it is light, golden had a great head that lasted for a good amount of time. Smell of a bit of corn, kind of like a Pabst. Its mainly a basic lager mouth feel but its good for after the expensive beer. The taste was nice, crisp clean and down to the point. Worth it!

4.22/5  rDev +35.7%

The CANano has been drinking, the CANano has been drinking, but not me! I love Tom Waits as a songwriter and a pianist, but as a singer, oof. Did anybody else notice that the carpet needs a haircut and the telephone is out of cigarettes? The CANQuest (TM) is going retro on this one, boy. The cat looks like a cross between Krazy Kat, Mooch, and Fritz the Cat. F**k. I used to smoke cigars and I think I may have hung out with this cat once before. I do not recommend my life for our younger viewers.

From the (minimalist) CAN: "'We gottit made!"; "Malt, hops, water, bla, bla, bla, what more [CAN] I tell ya? It's just plain ol' good beer!" Now, that's good ad copy! Whaddya need? Hey, you jagov, jest keep movin' if ya know what's good fer ya!

The Crack & Glug produced a little better than a finger of ecru head with better retention than the Bros experienced. Note: please see me if you would like to see the Glug pour performed before your very eyes. It CAN be done in the privacy of your own home or on-stage as audience size may dictate. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber, hence the CAN's color. I really dig truth in advertising. Nose was very malty-sweet with a hint of hops underlying the sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium with a really honey-like lager sweetness on the tongue. I may be jaded following so many clinkers out of a CAN, but this was both pleasant and enjoyable. This was unencumbered lager, plain and simple. Finish was unobtrusive, slightly sweet, but not sugary and unquestionably lager. I really liked this and would certainly put it in my infamous beach cooler. Where CAN I get some more?

4.18/5  rDev +34.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was brewed and canned in good ol' Monroe, WI; 10 minutes from Granny's farm. Makes me feel proud.

A - The brew pours a surprisingly radiant orange-goldenrod hue, and is capped with a generous volume of ecru froth. The color of this beer is almost identical to that of the can.

S - The nose is the weakest link; there is a mineral-citric quality akin to lime seltzer water, but little else.

T - The flavor is malty-sweet, ever-so-slightly, and has a rich English character (or Viennese) that suggests biscuits, caramel, toffee, and toast. Herbal hops are subdued but discernible. There is a fruity yeast character that is minor, but sublime, and contributes impressions of stone fruit. The deeper I get into this, the more amazed I am at the rich complexity of this Lager.

M - Silky, smooth, softly carbonated.

O - This is a shockingly good beer, albeit subtle. It compares very favorably to SA Boston Lager.

3.93/5  rDev +26.4%

A= pours a nuclear orange color like has been described in other reviews it looks like there may have been food coloring added. A small one finger head rises and falls from it with no lacing.
S= like a refreshing beer. Semisweet and watery.
T= like beer. It sort of has a hop taste maybe and a little sweet malt but mostly just beer and adjunct..
M= smooth crisp and refreshing.
D= very high. Ill be enjoying these all summer. What a great cheap beer.

3.75/5  rDev +20.6%

3.75/5  rDev +20.6%

3.73/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The legendary woodychandler comes through again with another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a caramel color with orange hues and a 1 inch head. Smell is big on malts, biscuts, a touch of sweetness. Taste is also very malty, some biscuts and hops, more subdued than the smell. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a quality brew.

3.56/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Fat Cat pours out a hazy burnt orange color with a head that retains very well. The aroma is deep and malty, with a touch of macro-esque twang that honestly doesn't work too bad. The taste offers a well-developed caramel malt, without much else to hang out. That said, it's tasty, but lacking in any depth whatsoever. The mouthfeel is light for sure, but has a little heft and smoothness to help the malts along. The drinkability is good. Overall, Fat Cat is a solid malty lager.

3.55/5  rDev +14.1%

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I picked up a 12 pack of it for novelty's sake, and well... Here I am.

It pours to a beautiful golden/orange amber. I noted that the color of the beer actually matches the orange the can upon my first pouring.

The carbonation is medium and creates a decent mouth feel.

Lacing is actually pretty close to perfect in the glass.

The smell is damn near perfect for what it is. If I were to try to explain to someone what beer smells like, I might give them a can of this. Sure, there are more complex smells out there, but this one is just beer... "that's what beer smells like"...

The taste is a contemporary lager. No real complexities. No subtle accents. It is what it is. It really reminds me of the first home brew lager I made when I was around 22. It's malty with a slight twinge of floral hops... The alcohol content is there without being overbearing.

No, I don't think it deserves an A, or even a B+, really. It's a good example. A benchmark. we can leave it at that.

For a moderately price novelty I saw on a shelf and kind of laughingly purchased, I was kind of surprised.

3.48/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can with no freshness date, a newer batch from the one we reviewed in the mag.

Clear and copper, head suffers but enough lacing stays around. Smells of caramel and taffy with some toasted graininess. Malty sweetish body, pretty clean with a mild graininess. Modest hopping balances. Hint of alcohol and cooked veggies in the middle. Sweet finish, but not so sweet that another sip is not in order.

Not half bad, the real factor will be pricing ... the value is there but only to a certain level with many other craft lagers in the market.

3.48/5  rDev +11.9%

My arm was twisted into trying this last night.

Pour: Light golden-amber color with a finger of white head that dissipates kinda fast. A little bit of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Wow, this doesn't have the slightest bit of skunky aroma! Caramel and pale malt, some fruit, and a slight burnt sugar note.

Taste: Wow, I'm surprised! A caramel malty front and middle, yeasty middle, and a molasses and brown sugar bittersweet finish. Not skunky or grainy at all.

Mouthfeel: Light, clean, and crisp. Fair amount of carbonation in this one.

Drinkability: I can pound these all day. Refreshing.

Final Notes: I actually, for some reason, really like this beer. An ideal beer to take with you to the beach or tailgating when you can't carry glassware and just want to drink straight from a can. Your lesser-beer drinking buddies will also appreciate it, I think.

3.43/5  rDev +10.3%

A - Slightly cloudy orange color, (looks a lot like the can!). Head is offwhite settles at an eighth inch . A fair amount of lacing going on here.

S - Rich caramel malts but slightly sweet, sort of reminds me of a weizenbock scent.

T - Taste is at first mostly malty but is quickly rounded off with a sugary sweetness somewhat akin to sweetcorn that lasts until after you swallow.

M - Carbonation brings a crispness to it and the consistency is thin but is able to leave a lasting taste.

D - Not bad at all, certainly better than I had anticipated. The guy who said it tasted like transmission fluid or whatever definitely got a bad batch.
Sweet can design.

3.43/5  rDev +10.3%

A - Poured out a clear, amber color with a one-finger head of thick, bubbly, off-white foam. It had okay retention but left very little lace.

S - It smelled of rich malts, grain and caramel. Slight floral hop aroma, too.

T - Nice malty/caramel flavor. There was a slight hop bitterness.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light bodied lager that finishes clean and dry.

D - Honestly, this beer shocked me. My brother-in-law had one sitting around and I had really low expectations for it. However, it was surprisingly tasty.

3.43/5  rDev +10.3%

A- 4 This looks surprisingly nice on the pour out of the can. It is a golden rust orange color with a big 1.5 finger off-white head that mellows down to under 1/4" throughout. It has slippery smooth lacing but non-uniform bubbles.

S- 3 It is pungent but very malt-heavy. I get a hint of orange as well, and also bread / yeast.

T- 3.5 Well, this is unique! Orange comes to mind initially as I first sip it, and then there is a roasted malt that dominates. It is almost nutty even. It is not shabby, but a strange combo and different from most lagers that I've had. Interesting.

M- 3.5 Not a bad feel to this; it is medium-light in body and high in carbonation. Fairly smooth.

D- 3.5 I could easily put down a few of these, though I probably wouldn't want more than a couple. It is unique for what I've tried. I find it a little off-balanced on the malt side but there are some other notes coming through. Not my favorite combination of flavors but decent... For 5.99/12-pack, I can't complain. Better than the average mass-produced domestic anyway!

3.4/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a 12 oz can into my tulip.

A - Cloudy orange brown pour with a similarly colored half finger of head that disspaites vey quickly.

S – Lot of malt in the nose and almost a sour like smell undertone. Caramel.

T – Malty exactly like the smell. Faint taste of grain. Surprisingly sweet taste. Nice floral fruit taste. A touch of bitterness at the close.

M – Crisp and clean. Medium bodied and medium carbonation.

O – This is a pretty decent brew and highly drinkable. I could have a few of these on a hot summer day. Absolutely worth a try.

3.38/5  rDev +8.7%

I think I paid $6.99 for a 12 pack of this so my expectations aren't the highest going in. . .
A - Clear, amber color with thick, bubbly, off-white foam. Little lacing though.

S - I didn't get much on the nose. Very muted

T - a little hoppiness comes across but not as snappy as I would like from this style

M - not a ton of body but its more substantial than normal domestic piss. Good for the price

D - Nothing wrong with the beer. clean finish and the fact that it comes in a can mean that I can probably drink several.

Fat Cat Lager from The Fat Cat Beer Company