Anti-Freeze - Greenport Harbor Brewing Company

Greenport Harbor Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Old Ale |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: DrinkSlurm on 01-06-2012

Malt forward, full bodied, deep red, with just enough hop balance. Inspired by some of our favorite English Olde Ales. Brewed a bit strong for sustenance and warmth on those cold winter nights.
3.51/5  rDev -2%

Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Pure transparent amber with brown tones to it, medium bubbles and a off-white head settling quick to roughly a quarter inch before sipping.

Smell: has a nutmeg scent to it but has a heavy feel that resembles burning tea...not bad but I wouldn't inhale the brew.

Taste: Has a complex sourness to it, feels like lemon with a mix touching of toffee.

Mouth: Medium bodied, has a slightly lingering after-taste.

Overall: Like it or love it there is no argument that the beer delivers, it's not the best of olde ale you're gonna have but it's full of flavor. With that alone with it's quite a contribution. Salud!

4.07/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I had this as part of a flight that included Sculpin, Union Jack and Merry Monks. Maybe because I tasted both the other IPA's first this one was just so different to me.

Darker than most offerings. A very sweet taste, but I like that. It is a big contrast from the top IPA's.

I tried it because it had very few reviews on here and it was a local brew. I am not sure I would go out of my way for it, but I will surely drink it again if I find it served elsewhere.

3.83/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a pretty dark amber color with hints of ruby. Smallish tight khaki head left some webby lacing.

The aroma is faint, perharps a touch malty and a general caramel sweetness.

The taste is bockish. Toasted malt with a slight meaty flavor. Pleasant grain flavor. A subtle deep toffee note, candied cherry. Nice range of flavors, has some depth.

Moderate to full feel. Spicy sweet with just enough toasted bitterness. Slightly sticky.

A very tasty winter brew. I like the bock type flavors. It is a bit sweet.

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

I had this beer on tap in a thistle glass at the Stag's Head in New York.

Appearance: rich dark amber hue with no haze. Head was a couple of fingers of ivory foam with good retention. Nice!

Smell: malty and sweet with a lot of toffee character. Some dark fruits, raisin and dates are evident. A good example of the style.

Taste: sweet malt with a lot of biscuity/bready character. Some nice dark fruity character, but too biscuity for my taste, even for the style.

Mouthfeel: medium-rich body with a nice smooth creaminess. It works for me.

Overall: a good beer, if not totally suited to my palate. I would like to give this another try, though, some time down the road.

3.86/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a beautiful deep caramel color and delivers on off white 2 inches of head. Head does not hold very long but the carbonation is near perfect for this style. Smell does not reveal much character. Taste is rich and sweet with a hops after note. The hops don't really come through until the swallow is aerated. This beer is a sweet malty beer with a hint of maybe coffee? Alcohol will sneak up on the drinker at a near 7 percent.
Great winter weather beer.

2.43/5  rDev -32.1%

I tried this old ale and must say that it was too sweet to enjoy. It looked and smelled alright, but had such a strong molasass and dark fruit notes. It was like each plum preserves. The syrupy mouthfeel was not helpful. I was curious about this brewery and me thinks that curiousity is waning rather quickly. I will try something dry hopped if they have any considerable offering of that style. Heck, you can't hit a homerun every time you come to the plate.

3.67/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Pours brown with a tan foam. Coates the glass with a thick coating; decent lacing.

S - Smells sweet with notes of maple. There is a bit of a fruit scent as well.

T - Initially sweet with flavors of maple syrup and candied fruit. Slight malty component. Finish has a cordial-like quality.

M - Mellow for the style, though it is more of an after dinner beer, and not one to generally have more than one of.

O - Much like its oaked variant, I found it to be a tasty beer for the cold months, but something to enjoy once and then move on.

3.83/5  rDev +7%

Poured a 3-oz sample.
Pours a deep brown, syrup-like brown. Thick brown-ish head.
Sweet malty aroma, ever so slight hop and alcohol smell as well.
Taste is malty caramel...I may be detecting some dates or chestnut?? Alcohol finish.
The aftertaste lingers...malty, bready, caramel.
Its a very drinkable Old Ale...I actually quite like it. It definitely flies low on the "wow" radar, but I did enjoy it. It seems like a great brew to grab a growler of for a cold day...
I am becoming a very big fan of Greenport Harbor.

Anti-Freeze from Greenport Harbor Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.