Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,648 | Hads: 4,184
3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a cloudy, brown/orange with a HUGE head. Head was so huge that I kept having to wait for it to settle(which took forever) before I could pour more in. Plenty of lace sticking to the chalice. Smells of pungent alcohol, grapes, biscuits, lemon, grassiness, and spices. Very fruit and spicey taste. Bit of lemons, apricots and pepper wrapped in an earthy malt tone. Mouthfeel is a bit thick and slick. Very drinkable.

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Reviewed on 7/2/08. Bottle. GUSHER! Pours a cloudy light orange with a huge, thick, foamy white head that leaves nice lacing on a Westmalle glass. Aroma of spcies (particularly clove), lemon/citrus zest, and the typical tripel skunk. Tastes like...a tripel! Lots of Belgian yeast and spices, maybe some cinnamon. As the beer warms some light fruits (especially apple) come out, but you really have to search for it. Mostly the beer is dominated by spices. Pretty drinkable as the 9.5% isn't noticed in the flavor or palate. Probably my favorite tripel, although this style is one of my least favorite.
7/4/8/4/15 (3.8/5)

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

750mL, bottled on 02/08/10, into a Perfect Pint.

A: A vigorously carbonated golden body supports a billowing white head that lingers. Barely hazy, this beer is really gorgeous.

S: Some sweet wheatiness and mellow alcohol mingle with rising bread and yeast and soft apple notes. I don't get any hops on the nose at all.

T: Dry, with more bittering than I expected. This has a year on it, but I wasn't expecting it to be this dry. Fairly alcoholic tasting, beyond the obvious fruity yeast flavors, but even those are fairly subdued. I'm underwhelmed. I recall enjoying this beer more.

M: Superb. Glides along your tongue and down your throat.

D: It's a bit alcoholic, in terms of actual content and how much the taste comes through.

From October 2010 notes:

A: Witbier like, cloudy yellow with a soapy head.

S: Partially citrus with dried banana, sweet bread.

T: Interesting the way the alcohol sits in it. Both present yet tastefully masked. Banana is more citrusy in the taste. A tad bitter and sour.

M: Stinging but I have the idea that it comes from the alcohol.

D: Interesting and intense. Not something I would drink often. Good yet hard to drink due to it's intensity.

Style: 3.5

3.77/5  rDev -11.7%

A- Light amber and hazy in appearance. Leaves a three finger bubbly head. Lots of head retention.

S- A pleasant mix of hops, caramel, coriander and other spices, and bubblegum.

T- Light but complex. Nice warming alcohol notes. A hit from the hops up front. Cinnamon. Sweet fruity finish.

M- Light but full feeling. The hops make for a clean mouthfeel.

D- A thirst quenching beer that hides it's 9.5% abv very well.

This is very good but I much prefer the Westmalle Dubbel over the Tripel.

3.77/5  rDev -11.7%

Well I am doing this review with a bottle that I am not sure if it was good, I had one last week and it wasnt tasting the same, maybe my palate is playing trick who knows!

The Triple has an orangish color, cloudly, very carbonated, the head came and dissapeared quickly. Her smell is very fruity with shy notes of hops and malt. Taste is spicy, alcoholic, esthylic, and carbonated, actually way too much carbonated, it was like I had a Westmalle that when diving too deep and went up too fast, bubbles in my mouth that didnt feel right.

3.77/5  rDev -11.7%

A - It is a pretty golden color, and the head is thick and beautiful white color. It lasted for a long time, and there is thick lacing.

S - This is the most average part of this beer. It smells like any other light yellow beers.

T - It is not the best flavor of any beer, but it is solid. Although it has a high ABV (9.5%) you can hardly taste it. The other flavors are reminiscent of a Duvel. Sweet, light, and a bit of hop.

M/D - It has a nice thick mouthfeel, but it doesn't have any negative after taste.

Bottom Line: This beer is great, but I feel like it is lacking one flavor to make it a legendary beer. I like when a beer has a theme or some unique tastes to it, but these beer leaves me wanting something more in terms of flavor. It has nailed it in terms of appearance, mouthfeel, and drinkability, it just needs a signature flavor. Regardless, it is worth a try.

3.77/5  rDev -11.7%

Color: A lovely honey color, cloudy but not murky, cloudiness was due to highly active carbonation, it was like watching the ionization of perfectly rounded, miniscule atoms rapidly firing off one another. I expected it to feel like poprocks in my mouth and could not wait to try it.

Head: A creamy mountain resembling lemon gelato that stays and stays and stays. Laces seductively against the sides of the glass, mounded in the middle as if it had been lovingly whipped and longing to be mouthed. Refused to be ignored, every bottle tip created more head and reached your tongue before the body of liquid, but merged with the body rather than remained seperate.

Aroma: Vibrant lemon and honey, slightly grassy but not overwhelming.

Texture: The body alone was thin and bubbly. Blended with the head, however, it was incredibly smooth and frothy; the two are not oil and water, rather they make love to each other and let you feel and taste their intercourse. Swishing in your mouth is particularly enjoyable, a quite unusual sensation of an aerated pudding.

Flavor & Balance: Tasted as lively as it looked. The combination of citris, hops, and honey reminded me of sneaking my dad's honey-lemon Luden cough drops.The flavor was quite different, and to be preferred, from the bottle because the fabulous head burst forth and accompanied every mouthful to create a frothy, tart, yet sweetend element to make the drink more reminiscent of a lemon meringue pie. Excellent balance overall, complexity limited to three primary flavors, good but not exceptional for my personal palate preference.

Sustained Taste: Initially, aftertaste has slightly harsh hop element, then as the temperature in your mouth warms the residue, it thickens and sweetens into an exceptionally delightful citris, like a dolop of a mild lemon custard on the roof of your mouth.

3.77/5  rDev -11.7%

A - Pours a nice head with a decent ring of lace over a copper tinted straw body.

S - Floral hops, lillies, and gumball.

T - Floral character with some malt and citrusy zest.

M - Very slick, thin and very refreshing.

D - Good, this would go well will some foods. Abv makes sessioning a bad idea. I will have to have this again sometime.

3.76/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours a murky honey golden color with visible yeast, with a soapy, 4 finger, white head. Retention is amazing, especially consider the high ABV. Very appealing.

S - Light spice, fruity esters, biscuity yeast, orange peel, coriander, pilsner malt, and light floral notes. Well balanced, inviting, though a bit reserved.

T - The delicious yeast is the most prominent note on the tongue, as it should be. The spice and fruit esters are very reserved, which is a bit unfortunate in my book. Hops come into play only where the need to, as it's a bit sweet. Alcohol does come through on the finish. While it could be hidden better, it's not obtrusive. Very well balanced.

M - Light bodied, crisp, and dry on the finish. Ideal, considering the style.

D - As the originator of the style, this is a very good beer, though I think I've had better tripels. I'd certainly give it try.

3.76/5  rDev -11.9%

A - big frothy pouffy mereonge on top of cloudy yeasty lemon honey beer.

S - slightly yeasty. Bready with fant ester notes.

T - subtle dances between yeast and malts. Splashes of fruity ester blasts. A little bit of fusil burn. After a large glass it gets harder to taste everything. Aftertaste is harsher than I expected.

M - fusil burn is manageable. Beer goes down well.

D - not as flavorful as the dubbel but a pleasure.

3.76/5  rDev -11.9%

This brew pours a medium head of fine to large sized bubbles that left an excellent lacing and a cloudy yeasty light orange brown body. It has a mild yeast-malt aroma and a strong yeast bread flavor. The mouthfeel is initially tingling but soon diminsihes. This is indeed a very nice well rounded brew.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

Aroma is of tart fruit....yeast....and a whiff of alcohol. Not surprising for the ABV.

Pours a nice, dark blonde color. Thin head.

Tastes initially semi-sweet, but fades into somewhat of a tart grape fruitiness that reminds me of a relaxed version of some pinot gris I've had. Spiciness is minimal. Some yeast is apparent on the backend. A little bit of citrus peel hops dance on the back of the tongue at the swallow. Alcohol is noticeable from the first drink on the exhale, although it isn't to the point of being a serious distraction.

Drier and less spicy than others I've had, this is still a tasty beer...at 7 bucks a bottle, it is something I'd only buy sometimes. Among tripels, I tend to favor the sweeter, spicier ones, so this wouldn't fall among the upper echelon.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from the bottle to a hazy golden orange with thick, white, foamy head that hung around until mid glass, and left decent lacing. At first, aroma was spicy, fruity (apples and grapes) and a hint of alcohol. As beer warmed, the alcohol became more dominant in the aroma, although fruit was still slightly noticeable. Flavor was similar to aroma, with alcohol presence continuing to strenghten as beer warmed, although fruit, especially apples, remained strong as well. My only critcism of this beer is that the strong alcohol presence influenced the finish more than I would have liked, but still a good beer

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

330ml bottle, poured into La Chouffe tulip.

A: Amber, hazy, small head that disappeared quickly. Not much lacing.

S: Phenol, fairly hoppy.

T: Clove, hoppy bitterness, some banana, bitter finish, slight boozy burn.

M: Smoothish, heavy thick texture, moderate carbonation.

O: I've sampled a few other tripels and this didn't really stand out as being great. It hid the booze quite well but as with Westmalle Dubbel I couldn't say I was impressed.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a hazy light copper with a frothy long-lasting 2 finger head. Only small chunks of lacing clung to the glass for a short period of time. Nice fruity aroma with some bready/yeasty notes and a slight alcohol detection. Flavors are full and rounded, balancing well. Fruity esters and a nice bready maltiness to balance. Some citrus, maybe oranges or tangerines. Slightly tart, making the back of my mouth tingle. Hints of alcohol also in the flavor. Hop bitterness also comes through, but in a pleasant fashion. Mouthfeel is medium viscocity, tongue coating and nicely carbonated. Overall this is an excellent sipping beer, with the flavors melding and blending so much better as it warms. A definite must-try for any Belgian fan.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Gonna take me a while to get this 330ml bottle in here, the head is huge and my pour was not particulary aggressive, headed straight over and out of my pint glass if I'm not careful. It's a combination of creamy and soapy. As it (very slowly) subsides, there is lots of thick lacing. The body is a cloudy golden color.

The smell is surprisingly subtle. That is a good thing, with smells of fruit, spice, and a bit of alcohol all evident at the right levels.

The alcohol is a bit more evident in the taste. The spice and the fruit are still there and still good, but I'd like to have a bit less of the alcohol heat.

The alcohol makes the mouthfeel a bit harsh, but the carbonation is well done and makes it ok in the end.

This is good for the bottle, but a bit much for a whole session. Definitely worth trying.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured a hazy golden straw with almost an inch of head that fell away pretty quickly.
Smell is very spicy and sweet. Some underlying alcohol is also present.
Quite a dry, almost tart sour taste hits first. Luckily some of the sweetness comes back into play quite quickly. The spicy flavour lingers for a while.
I found the mouthfeel to be a little watery, not in a bad way but not quite what I was expecting.
A nice beer but I wouldn't hunt it down again in a hurry. I've had better Tripels.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

Has a massive big head, and a golden yellow color.

Great aroma of wheat, yeast and a refreshing bitterness.

Has a beautiful balance of wheat, sugar and some bitter hoppy notes. Perfect smooth mouthfeel with a dry ending supported by the carbonation which is present but not distracting, adds freshness to the beer. No spices present, but a nice bitterness at the end, which goes along with an overall sweet character, lovely combination. Bitterness never grows too present.

3.74/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured into a snifter. Dark golden color with a perfect white colored head that stays till the end. Excellent carbonation.

Smell is subtle, with nothing too pungent. I smell citrus, a little yeast, and not much else.

It's light and smooth tasting. Citrus yes, but I don't get much more. Great carbonation and not much of an aftertaste.

Overall it's good and very drinkable. I know it's more complex than I am picking up, but to me it comes off as a very simple beer. I would have it again if looking for something light and interesting.

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours a hazy yellow into a tulip, small bits of yeast clinging to themselves. A large billowy pure-white foamy head fade fairly rapidly to a single finger within a few minutes of the initial pour.

A big yeasty whiff with a bready malted grain smell fill my senses immediately. The lightest hint of cloves and black pepper, perhaps other spices as well as a fruity smell.

Heavy on the yeast tastes as well. This big Belgian is big on sweetness; both alcoholic and malt. Fairly light bodied and dry with only a bit of an alcohol taste.

Pretty light-bodied for such a big beer, refreshingly light, but not thin. Drinkability is fairly good considering the style and big ABV.

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

I'm pouring at 63 degrees into an 11oz snifter.

It pours with a hazy light amber/golden color with a thick head that sticks around for a while. Very little lacing. It reminds me of other Trappist products I've seen before, mostly Chimay.

It's smell is very nice, very subtle. It's a bit sour, but citrus sour. Lemons maybe. I can smell the alcohol for sure (9.5%), but it's not overpowering, I can still smell the beer itself.

I haven't had many trippels, but I think this is about the same as the ones I've had before. The initial taste is very light, but still very hard to get past the alcohol. It's very complex, hard to really get a feel for everything that's going on in this beer. For me, that's not a bad thing, it just makes me want to drink more so I can taste it all! The finish is slightly bitter, maybe a little citrus sour. I've come to recognize this as a "Belgian Ale" thing. The finish kind of catches in the back of your throat and gives for an interesting aftertaste.

I like the amount of carbonation, it seems to compliment the bitter finish. It's not thick, but not thin, I think this has a very nice mouthfeel. As for drinkability, I'll say I'm not going to shy away from this beer, but I doubt I'll buy a case anytime soon. It's got good characteristics, but it's just not something I would drink every day.

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Appearance: Westmalle Tripel pours a opaque and cloudy orange colour along with a amazingly thick and fuzzy egg white crown which leaves a circle marked of lacing along the glass.

Smell: Fruity, pineapple, a subtle yet clear scent of yeast. Fresh. Sweet. Simple yet distinct.

Taste: That which strikes me first concerning this beer is that for a trappist, it is surprisingly bitter, dry might be a word better apt (but then again, that's more likely to belong in the category below). Not all that sweet - as one would expect from a trappist as well - either, but a certain sweetness similar to that of cardamom occasionally pops up. The aforementioned dryness, however tends to dominate the other tastes.

Mouthfeel: Round and smooth towards the palate, with a warming finish (due to the alcohol content).

Drinkability: I find this trappist interesting, but sadly a bit too unbalanced (or incoherent if you like) in the primary category, namely "taste" and thus it renders the - once again - for a trappist, rather mediocre score.

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

12 ounce poured into a chalice.

A - Poured golden with a huge white head that subsided to a 1/4 inch head. Good lacing.

S - Smells of fruits, spices and sweet.

T - Spicey, fruity, and some alcohol warmth.

M - Very dry with high carbonation.

D - Pretty easy, alcohol would be a killer.

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours a beautiful goldne orange with a white froth head that rises and rises, setiments of yeast will fall into the glass. The smell is of apricots with a nice honey grain. A hint of banana yeast will water the mouth. Cloves and other spices will creep in. The taste is crisp, with a toasty banana liquor, a apricot sauce will add sweetness, exotic spices will warm the throat. Definetely a strong toasty beer.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle