Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,072 | Reviews: 1,640

Poured into a brandy snifter. Pours hazy golden with a three finger length white head. The aroma of white grapes hits the nose as well as apple and citrus. The alcohol hits the nose as well as that of the malt. The taste is spicy and the flavors of hops, yeast, white grape, and malt. The finish is dry and the carbonation is abundant, but it does not take away from the flavor. The body is medium and the alcohol isn't very apparent in the taste. This is a great tripel and an overall excellent beer.

Beautiful golden color. This is one you try to pour slowly and still get a lot of head. Even if you let it sit for more than ten minutes, there is still some head remaining. This has the typical taste of other Belgium Abbey Ales, but a little sweeter.

Such high hopes for this one. A difficult *pop* and I know I won't be let down.

A frothy, mountainous head adorns the cloudiest of amber seas. Phenols drape an estery festival of petrified sunfruit, a bacchanalian dream scent, slow-motion ambrosia.

Such nectar hits the tongue like open sky, atavistic myth-sweat, a ribbon of grace invoking chardonnay hallucinations, oaky strength and chilled air. Of course, all the chords are played just right, apple seed and pear skin, but it's that twang of imprecision, that vaulting waveform of microscopic turbulence, which marks this for perfection.

Westmalle here has captured everything transcendent in the Belgian style. My entire spirit is transfixed by what seems to be a beer with never-ending complexity. Could I improve on this? God no.

Good. Gravy.

At this point I've got maybe six beers that I'd consider 5's across the board; the creme de la creme, the absolute perfect examples of the breed. They are Aventinus weisenbock, St. Bernardus ABT12 quadruppel, Stone Russian imperial stout, Stone Arrogant Bastard American strong ale, Ipswich Original ale, and now Westmalle Tripel.

This stuff is absolutely absurd. It's got a noticeable sweetness, a broad palette of "fruity" flavors, and a warming alcohol prescence that hides itself and is perceived as a "spicyness". The real difficulty with this particular beer is taking in the breadth of flavors that are available before one has consumed too much of the stuff to be all that perceptive. This might be the central paradox of beer tasting, or at least Belgian beer tasting. Anyway, I can tell you this: I've tried the St. Bernardus Tirpel and the Allagash Reserve Tripel, and this one just absolutely trounces both of them, in my opinion. Amazing stuff!

A- Pours a vibrant two finger frothy off white head. Amber/orange color. Hazy with good carbonation in the glass.

S- Welcoming floral and fruity aromas in the nose. I get some orange peel, citrus, flowery esters and pine. Some breads from the yeast.

T- Taste is precisely balanced with good bitterness and dark fruits. Good warmth in throat from the alcohol.

M- Smooth and silky with good carbonation. Delicious !

D- As far a Belgians go, this is second best for me and would have no problem drinking a few. Drinkabillity is fantastic !

Simply put this is an incredible beer. Super clean and dry with lots of great hearty bread notes and a touch of fruity sweetness. Incredibly brisk and refreshing, vinous like character. Great replacement for champagne!

4.99/5  rDev +16%

What can I say that hasn't already been written? Every superlative applies, deep, complex brisk flavors emit from a wonderfully constructed and world class beer. Yes the Monks have hit it out of the park for 100 years with this one. In the last few days I've sampled Westvleteren XII, Rochefort 10 and just to spoil myself topped the trifecta with Westmalle's tripel. In case you are standing in front of the Belgian offerings at your specialty beer store, hurry up and pick one (or 2) up and get ready to enjoy. The other BA reviews of this beer are so accurate, I thought a little irrational exuberance was called for.

4.98/5  rDev +15.8%

One of my Favorites From Trapist

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

This is one helluva good beer. Pours a cloudy golden out of the bottle and the aroma is dry and malty. Nice creamy white head. Lacing sticks around for a while on the glass. Taste is dry and clean. Malt and hops at the end. Great beer. My favorite style and an excellent exemplar of it.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

I would fly to Belgium for a sip out of these monk's goblets. Cloudy light gold pour with a bubbly head- strong notes of grapes, apple esters and malt character on the nose. I couldnt believe the perfect marriage of the malt and alcohol, so smooth and crisp I savored every drop. The cleanest, tastiest beer Ive had the honor of sipping. This tripel will blow your mind.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Appearance - orange murky brew with lots of carbonation through body. 2-3 finger billowy head with excellent retention in fact 2 minutes after pour it grew another finger. It's alive!!!

Smell - Wonderful scents of bready, earthy straw notes. Also picking up some sweet scents and slight bannana scent

Taste - Fabulous complexity and balance. Sweet and malty start and a crisp hop finish. I can't belive this is 9.5% as although its strong in flavor its not boozy at all.

Mouthfeel - Great.

Overall - A nearly perfect beer in my book. Satisfying in every aspect that a beer could be.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Holy Crap. My Flemish roomate promised me a bottle of this when his friend came down from Belgium. He was pretty high on it, so I didn't know what to expect.

Pours a hazy, slightly red orange. Not a pleasant color. The head is truly magnificent. Huge and billowing, I poured maybe a quarter of a liter, and the head shot strait to the top of my half liter mug. Billowy, lasting nearly the whole beer.

Smell is wonderful, the almost wheat like smell of belgian yeast, with an aroma of a fine white wine. Alchohalic notes and an overriding sweetness.

This beer seemed to dance across my tounge, a thousand and one flavors playing across it. My God. I don't think I can describe it, but I'll try. After the initial kiss of carbonation some bold spicy fruits come through. Apple, pear, banana being most prevelant. A wonderful boquet not unlike fantastic white wine accompanies and outlasts the fruit. Finally a whiff of pepper and alchohal in the back of the mouth and an outstanding dry finish. My god.

This beer is a joy on the mouth. It enters smoothly, with enough carbonation to be interesting. As you swallow it seems to bubble and disspate from the tongue. Simply astounding.

No doubt about it, one of the best beers i've ever had.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Slightly lighter in appearance than most Tripels drank recently with a nice cloudy golden hue and 1 finger white head.

The aroma is very refreshing with a touch of malt but overall hint of yeast and fruitiness.

Taste is out of this world with the sweetness of the malts quickly fading and touches of pear and yeast quickly building with a refreshing, smooth, and crisp finish for a Tripel with 9.5% ABV.

To me, this beer is at the top pf the list for Tripels. It exemplifies the perfect combination of malts, yeasts, and hops.

Truly world class!

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Came in a 33cl bottle with best before date 06/2006. I have been hearing nothing but great things about this beer for some time now so I decided to check it out to see what all the hype is all about and now I can definately see! This is a wonderful beer with so many different layers and characteristics to it. Not too bitter in taste considering its strength (9,5%) which doesnt taste like it at all so its very masked indeed. Gave a very nice bittersweet aftertaste though I believe with a little cellaring would do this beer great things (that is if I can keep my hands off of it) Extremely complex triple that totally lives up to the trappist name!!! HIGHLY recommended to all I say!

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Briiliant golden in color. Beautiful thick white head. Complex nose. Mild fruitiness to the nose: Bananas? clove? Orange? Hard to tell. Wonderful flavor, complex, but subtle. Slight yeastiness. One of my favorites. Note: bottle was a 750ml bottle conditioned version that I picked up across the street from the abbey. I wish that it cost $3.25 here!

330 ml bottle
The beer poured a murky gold colour into a chalice glass with a thin white head that dissipated quickly. The aroma was very yeasty, with some malt and cloves. The mouthfeel was medium bodied, and slightly champagne in nature. The flavour was that of yeast, malt, and cloves with a dry finish.

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

The quintessential Tripel, smooth, fruity, highly alcoholic only but not in the tatse at all .. it is well hidden under all the spices and malts that this beer has.. this is golden and pale yet packs vibrant flavors and the punch of alcohol when imbibed. savor slowly in the proper goblet to enjoy this beer at its best.

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

11.2 oz bottle into great divide snifter.

A: Big foamy white head, golden appearence with some cloudiness from the yeast. Decent lacing.

S: Amazing, belgian esters, sugar, tropical fruits,

T: Banana, clove, bubble gum, sweet malt. Heavy yeast character but wonderful balence

M: Excellent and not heavy.

Overal its a world class beer. It can survive a bit in a cellar. The beer is complex but easy to drink. It defines the tripel style. Great beer to go out of you way for.

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

This beer is a perfect example of how Belgium makes better beer than anywhere else in the world; this despite the fact that my favourite style is American IPA.

It looks beautiful, with a creamy white head sitting atop a slightly cloudy golden yellow body. The retention is perfect, and thick lacing surrounds the chalice (yes, I do have a Westmalle glass).

The smell blends all sorts of fruity tones along with a yeast presence that really makes itself known. Its understated, and yet tells you so much about what was put into this beer.

The taste is a great continuation of all the smells, with alcohol, fruit (banana) and yeast dominating. The malt character is interesting as it doesn't stand out too much but lets you know its there.

The mouthfeel is almost perfect; just a tad under-carbonated. It has a nice dryness and aftertaste. Overall, this deserves the trappist name. Simply amazing.

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

This beer is truly a delight to drink: poured into an oversized wine glass, given a hard pour this had a sizable head that eventually shrunk to a decently sized layer that retained really well. The bubbles are very small and stuck to the glass. The color was a glowing opaque yellow/golden. The smell had some lemony bite to it, along with some alcohol - there's more to it, I swear, but I just can't pick it out. Same story with the taste - I always find it difficult to specify what fruity flavors I'm picking out with belgian beers - here I taste a bit of lemony-tartness, granny smith apples?, and asian pear. It slip slides around...Also, there is some alcoholic bite to it, along with a balanced hop spicyness! That's why I love belgians, they balance the flavors oh so delicately... The carbonation was a bit weak, but still enjoyable. It was medium bodied and went down easy: the alcohol sneaked up on me. I was telling my friend while I was drinking this that I wish it came in six packs...or even 24 packs! I could have had at least 3 more of these bottles and still loved it. Truly a delight!

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

I first enjoyed this at the Bier Market in Toronto and not a week later was stunned to see it actually stocked at my local LCBO. There are a number of excellent reviews on this beer and I'm not sure I can add any more what has already been said about this spectacular brew. Complex and yet incredibly accessible. It is truly a treat for all senses - visually beautiful, tickles the nose with tempting sensations and finally it stuns the palette. Suffice to say that is truly one of the best beers available.

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

Pour = light straw, with a golden center. Soft billowy cloud for a head, carbonation streaming off the bottom of the glass. Lacing is sticking to the glass as the head dissipates

Smell = green grapes, Apricots, some other tart fruits that I cant place, maybe some peach and golden raisins. Spicy belgian yeast scents as well.

Taste = effervescent and fruity, you get the grapes and apricots and green apple right up front, I would say it is almost like a fruity champagne, but not dry by any sense and not quite as sweet. Hints of cloves and bananas as well, Wow there is alot going on in this glass.

Westmalle founded this particular style of beer, and you can see why this is the standard by which all other Tripel's are judged. Delicious!!!

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours from the bottle with a huge thick head that sticks around long enough to enjoy. Light golden color, with a vibrant carbonation.

Huge Aroma, funky farm smells, with fruit and yeast that just explode in your nose.

A nice medium mouthfeel with spicy, grainy, tart apple, a mild sweetness and mild bitterness.

Each smell and taste gives you a different experience as it warms up and oxygenates.

This is an amazing beer, controlled flavors that keep on giving, it's a piece of art. Reminds me of the quality and flavor of an aged $100+ bottle of wine. I need more and more then more. So easy to drink, with a 9.5% ABV it can creep up on you quickly.

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

I was lucky enough to have a friend bring this one to me, as its not sold in PA.

This was by way and afar the best tripel that I have ever had, and it makes me sad to knowing that I can not easily get it.

For me this is the best tripel I have ever had, and the one from which all other fall short of.

4.94/5  rDev +14.9%

750 ml bottle with ths code on the neck: 09/05/07 think it means sept 07?? If not this will only get better!

Pours honey colored & effervescent with 3 fingers of fluffy white head. Nice filmy head with some lacing all the way down

S: Slight appleskins with fruitty scents up front, these intensify as the ale warms

T: Rich fruitty ( apples, pears, lemons & others) taste up front. The yeasty notes & honey sweetness as the ale warms. This kind of reminds me of cider, perry or sparkling wine as it warms in many ways. Finishes with fruittyness, warming sensations, &grapefruitty hops

MF: Spritzy, perfect carbonation& balance

Very drinkable. a supper tripel (usually not my style). A bit pricey, but a nice holiday indulgence, easily sets the pace for this style

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle