Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,629 | Hads: 4,113
4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Deep golden body with a creamy white head. Mild haziness. Decent head retention and gorgeous Belgian lace. Aroma of Belgian yeasts, vinous and citrus fruit, clove, sweet malts, candi sugar… ok already its complex. On to the taste. Sweet malts and Belgian sugar balanced with orange and clove spices. Mild alcohol presence, but well balanced with the Medium body and carbonation. Light bitterness and moderate carbonation. Crisp in the mouth with a slightly drying finish.

My favorite beer. Well-balanced complexity with nice warming alcohol presence that is noticeable but not overwhelming. Every time I drink one of these I notice something new in the layers of flavor and aroma. Never boring, always amazing. (714 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

The smell is fantastic, as good as it gets. It actually smells like Belgium. There's no way any beer aficionado could sniff this one and not know immediately that it was a glorious Belgian Trappist brew.

The absolute first taste was great but fairly normal and I got a bit concerned, but by the time the gulp hit the back of my throat I could see how goddamn special it is. Nice bite, good warmth. Very alcoholic. In fact, Trappist beers are always going to be quite strong as they were originally crafted to sustain the monks through Lent, acting as "liquid bread." Right up my alley.

I can truly say I have never really tasted a beer like this before. It is unbelievable and glorious. Bottle-fermented it is absurdly creamy, just a little bitter, very fruity with prominent tastes of banana, and a whole lotta hops and malts.

I drank it as slow as possible, savoring ever sip, not wanting it to be over. I was sad when I was through, knowing my next drink would pale in comparison. I'll need to always have this in stock and I look forward to cellaring some.

Yeah, when I retire I'm either going to move to a giant compound in Louisville with my 24-year-old trophy wife where I'll golf all day and drink bourbon, smoke cigars, and eat fatty southern foods drenched in gravies all night or to Belgium where I will renounce my Judaism, eliminate my Atheism, put on a comfy brown hooded robe cinched with a rope and begin peacefully making-and secretly get loaded on, shhh-tasty Westmalle beer all day long.

Simply one of the best beers I've ever had.

Aaron
www.theviceblog.com (1,582 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

From the outset this thing is generating a massive, bright white head the dissipates at a crawling pace, leaving chaotic patterns of lacing all over the place; I love it. Appearance is a murky golden tinge that gives the impression that you're in for a treat. Aroma is absurdly refreshing: spiced cloves, cherries, figs, some green apple, obvious Belgian yeast, with some nice malt presence (I can't really describe the "neutral" character of the malt note I'm picking up, to be honest; it just provides some wonderful balance).

Yeast is the theme of the night. The first phase of the sip is a subdued version of what is to come: a snappy, fruity, bready combination that takes a second to hit full force but does so with impunity around the middle of the tongue. In some ways the taste is a bit more yeasty and bitter than the nose would suggest, but if you really dig for that miasma of spicy fruits, you'll find them in absolute harmony with the yeast and malts. Also worth noting is the ever-so-slight alcohol burn near the finish that is just enough to be consistently pleasing, especially in this season. Carbonation is fairly high and contributes to the "snappy" character of the beer, and it complements the smoothness of the brew perfectly. Overall, this is incredible and precisely what a tripel should taste like. Get at all costs. (1,345 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

I figured this was fate. I drove by Surdyk's so see their flashing LED sign scrolling their specials. I just so happened to drive by when "Double (sic) and Tripel Single Bottles $4.44" I didn't even bother to see what it was I just figured it was a good deal.

So I made my way in, and purchased 1 Westmalle Tripel and 1 Westmalle Dubbel. I was very excited to try both because I have heard excellent things about both.

Poured from an 11 oz brown bottle with raised glass. The color is golden yellow with sort of a ruby touch. It would be more accurate to call it honey, as it's a slightly dark golden color. A giant pluming head is produced when poured into my Weizen glass (curse myself for not having the proper glassware!). Head slowly dissipates to a small dollop, which leaves no lacing.

Has a very complex aroma. Fruity, with floral hops in the background. Also a slight honey scent, along with a spicey twang.

Taste is equally as complex. It starts out fruity and citusy, with a strong acidic quality. Has a distinct bitterness, that is accompanied by more fruity flavors, spices and honey. Extremely appealing to me. Just as they website claims, this beer does have a great deal of elegance and finesse.

This beer is light in body. It houses moderate carbonation, and along with the moderate alcohol present, it makes for a great, but not excellent, mouthfeel.

I consider this one of the most enjoyable and drinkable beers I've ever had the pleasure of trying. The high alcohol is masked very well.

I believe the sale at Surdyk's ends today. I may have to go back and pick up a few more. I was very impressed by both the Tripel and the Dubbel, they did not disappoint. (1,683 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

dusty local honey in color, nose just explosive. vanilla bean, reduced bananas, orange peel, fun dip stick, white flowers for days. supple in the mouth, alcohol seamlessly integrated, round and regal. band aids, cloves and amaretto dominate throughout and the finish lingers. this comes correct on all levels. benchmark brew that i could drink thrice daily. (357 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a chimay goblet, the first of my 3 triples night (other two being Chimay and St. Bernadus)

Pours a dark gold colour with probably the silkiest, creamiest head i've ever seen that slowly collapses in on itself.

Smells refreshing - lemon, light/pale fruits and malts. Like a summers day.

Taste is first a citrusy zing, before some pale malts and very slight hops take over giving a slight bitterness, and an alcohol warmth finishes it off. Everything is very subtle, I would say it's on the far other end of the boldness scale, opposite the US craft brew style boldness.

Over all a really, really good beer. Perfect on this summer saturday afternoon just as i've finished mowing the lawn. (724 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Yeah, I finally got me some Westmalle!!!
This triple pours from the 12 oz bottle a faintly hazy brew, the color of clover honey. An impressive white head quickly rises to a peak, where it remains for quite some time before crawling back into my goblet, etching it with thick lace as it goes.

The aromas, ahhh. A transcendant perfume of harvest fruits, honey, orange blossems, lemon, spicy yeast, phenolic banana funk, and grassy herbals. Candy sweetness covered by a blanket of funky spice. Love those Monks!

Every characteristic of the nose is amplified in the tasting. There are absolute layers of flavors to pull apart here. No one flavor is dominant, rather a perfect harmony is achieved. This is the epitomy of a triple. Sweet, never cloying, fruity, spicy, and oh so complex.

Body is medium, playfully fizzy, and smoother than silk. Finish is dry, lemony, with a lasting impression of spicy, peppery hops. This is Heaven, in 12 oz servings!

Thanks to Gabe for sharing this treat! (1,000 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

I've had a good friend harping on me to get my hands on a Trappist ale any way I could (the availability SUCKS in southern MS, and the closest good import selection is in New Orleans). So, I chose the Westmalle Tripel, and I'm planning on tracking down some Rochefort and Orval later down the road...and maybe the ever-elusive Westvleteren, if I can ever find it in the States. On with the Westmalle...

Appearance: Slightly hazy pale orange hue under a perfect 2-3 finger frothy head, which laced very well as I sipped.

Smell: Delicious harmonic smell of golden apple, yeast, tropical fruit, coriander, and hops.

Taste: The most complex tasting beer I've tried. The fruity esters, sweet malt, and yeast hit immediately, and while the alcohol content is up there, it isn't overbearing at all. My 'sweet' taste buds just lit up. And as it went down, more flavors kept coming, like honey. I could still taste honey a full ten minutes after it was all gone. Pretty amazing.

Mouthfeel: It's a bit like a sparkling wine with a low carbonation. As the flavors bounce all over the mouth, the alcohol does its warming work. The sweet flavors are so intense that it left me salivating and wanting more.

Drinkability: This is a highly drinkable beer which should be sipped slowly and savored. Be warned, though: it will spoil you if it's one of your first craft beers. It's so complex, so expertly brewed, you will appreciate it more if you've gotten some time in with more beers before trying it. Trappist ales aren't so highly praised for nothing, as I've discovered. (1,563 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured into a snifter. Cloudy gold, with over two fingers of a very bright white head that lasted long, and laced superbly. The smell...tangerine, orange peel, nutmeg, honey, macintosh apple, pear, juicyfruit, and candi sugar. Wow. The taste...all of the above, starting off with fruit and spice, dissolving to herbal grass, and then finishing a dry, bitter orange peel, with a peel aftertaste. Utterly amazing. Spritzy on the palate, and deceivingly thin, with superbly hidden alcohol. Tastes like a session beer, and dangerously so, given the alcohol content. (561 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Riding on top of a gigantic, two-headed, gold and purple dragon, you are experiencing a high like heroin combined with orgasm combined with being lit on fire by God.

The mouthfeel is well-balanced; it is ballin'.

The appearance is a study in contrasts, with the cloudy richness of its golden liquid being offset by champagnely effervescence rising toward a satisfyingly creamy head.

I would spill this beer on the eyes of a blind beggar to restore his vision, although he would also be cursed with only being able to see Belgian monks everywhere he went, even when he was making love to his deaf girlfriend in his Suburu.

They met when he poured Westmalle dubbel into her ear, and now she can only hear monks chanting.

Did I mention this beer tastes good? There are notes of dragon feathers and muscat. Also Asian spices.

If the nose were a band from Manchester between 1982 and 1985, it would probably be James. If it were an album released by the Beatles, it would probably be one that they never released, but was composed entirely of Prince covers from the future. There is a lingering hint of golden raisins.

It is slightly less drinkable than pure virgin sweat. You could only drink a few bottles before it loses the ability to make you feel like a cancer surgeon who just cured a dying chess genius of cancer in his brain, and also he gets better at chess after the surgery. (1,388 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

I first had this on tap in Antwerp years ago. I loved it then, but wasn't taking notes. So this review is based upon the bottles one gets here in the States.

I poured it into a Westmalle chalice, happily, and I got a gorgeous golden orange, peachy, glowing liquid; slightly cloudy with a fine luxurious head that had staying power and a lingering lace.
The nose is very clean and spicy; citric, yeasty and intense.
The taste is subtle malts, oranges, bread dough, spices, an herbal bitter finish that I want to call peppery, but that would be too specific. All with a juicy and concentrated mouthfeel - it's fabulous. How do they do this? Everything is perfect! (668 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Vibrant, crisp, fleshy yellow color with big, clingy electric white head. Consistent and lively carbonation. Phenolic, yeasty, estery -- green grape skins slathered in raw honey accompany a snappy peppery aroma.

Very heavy on the vivid fruit flavors with a crisp, drying hop finish. Lemon, orange, melon rind. Bubble gum flavored pop rocks. Peppery zinger of a finish cleans up after a brief flirtation with potent alcohol flavors. Supreme balance. Top notch flavors and complexity. Just a great, great beer. (512 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

..."Of the gifts offered to us by Heaven and Earth is born, by the grace of St. Arnold and human knowledge, the divine juice of barley."--engraved above the Belgium Brewers Guild in Brussels...
This elixir pours out an effervecent thick golden-hazy pale burnt orange color,topped with a billowing absolutley perfect head slightly tan head, leaves fantastic lacing.
In the nose I some yeasts up front, tart orange, crisp-lemon alcohol tones, some clove honey, warming fruit esters, pink lady apples, light toasted oats on the end.
Taste is absoulutley Monk Bliss in a chalice! Spicy clove-live fruitiness, sour Belgian yeasty funkness sweet candi sugars, warm alcohols, creamy stomach tingling lightness from the carbonation, light mouthfeel yet an utter explosion of flavor in the mouth that is a liquid version of the enourmous bouquet of aromas. Fit for the Pope.
I wish I could express the perfection of this Tripel in Michael Jackson beer eloquence but words cannot do this enough justice. Not supposed to talk with your mouth full and Ive got 1/2 a glass of liquid ambrosia to consume, so Ill let ratings do the talking! (1,125 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

I bought this as a random single bottle at Portage Beverage in Canton, Ohio for just under $5.
Pours a beautiful thick peach haze with a huge, fizzy head that dissolves in a white ring in my snifter after about 30 seconds
Smell is of hops with bold sweet citrus
Mouthfeel is very full and creamy with bright and bubbly carbonation
Normally I don't like this much carbonation, but with this beer, it works for me, and it works very well.
Very, very alcoholic. At only 9.5%, this brew packs some serious heat.
In conclusion, I love this beer. I will have this again and again, and probably a few more times. CHEERS! (616 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy golden-straw color. I poured carefully and still ended up with an enormous head on this bad boy..possibly the largest I've ever seen on a beer. The aftermath of the head dissapating looks like a warzone.. Lacing spun on the glass in random patterns, the rocky head peaks in some areas and valleys in others, incessant bubbles stream from the bottom towards the top of the glass, and specks of sediment are found floating around this brew like flakes in a snowglobe...Stunning and downright impressive.

Smell: Take your pick...name a spice, flower, or fruit and it's probably in here. Sweet malts are evident as well as yeast, honey, and mild hops. Can't pick up any alcohol in the nose. Utterly too complex to fully describe.

Taste: here's the hard part...where do I even begin with this one? Spices are perfectly done..cloves and coriander (when overdone offend me greatly), but they are done in perfect proportion here. Fruit flavors are amazing...this beer almost seems artificial the way flavors appear and fade in the beer, one after the other..it almost seems orchestrated. The 9.5% abv doesn't distract a bit..it's hidden wayyy too well. The warmth is noticed in the stomach only, not in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. lots of carbonation, even to the last sip. Smooth, refreshing, and a treat if there ever was one.

Drinkability: As drinkable as any beer. it begs another sip as soon as your lips leave the glass. I'm impressed...

Easily one of the best Belgian's I've had. (1,536 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance:
Clear gold with a big poofy white head. There are a few small bits of yeast (I guess) floating around, and a constant stream of small bubbles maintains the head. Lots of lace sticking to the glass as the head fades to a thin layer.

Smell:
Big, alcoholic smell. Fruity, grassy. Medicinal. Smells fresh and delicious.

Taste:
Somewhat sweet, lots of bitterness up front, and in the aftertaste. Complex flavours I can't really describe. Slightly nutty, banana chips.

Mouthfeel:
Feels light, with the carbonation attacking the tastebuds quickly. Turns creamy with a slight drying later on.

Drinkability:
Too high. Feeling a bit lightheaded already. But so good, I could drink this all night long. (All night would be something like an 1 hr, then I'd fall asleep) (786 characters)

Best-before date of 16/02/13, 331ml bottle, young bottle

A - Generous amount of thick-in-places head, cloudy golden colour with perfect amount of carbonation. High amount of lacing and great head retention.

S - Apricot and peach, with a hint of alcohol. Sweeter, sharper wheat, light malts.

T - Medium-high carbonation. More round, less sweet wheat than in the wheat, hiding the high ABV quite well. Apricot and mild yeast. The ideal Trappist Tripel.

M - Medium body, very drinkable. Smooth with alot of flavour, and a well-hidden amount of alcohol. (555 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

I drank this on X-mas 2005.

This is a tremendous beer. It pours a cloudy gold with a great head. It smells floral and of alcohol. The taste is wonderfully complex. The fruity yeast flavor has many layers. I detect apples and oranges and just an overall fruity sweetness. The alcohol comes through, although this is, nonetheless, a dangerously drinkable beer. (361 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a beautiful golden brown color with a strong head and lacing. Smells of sweet hops with woody flavors with undertones of orange and apple. Has a calming affect that is really nice. Feels slightly warm and smooth in your mouth. Goes down warm and smooth. (259 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

11.2 oz. bottle into a goblet.

A: Beautiful soft golden orange with a slight banana hue to the body. Extremely hazy to the point of being totally opaque; unique given the relatively light color. Pours 1 inch of fluffy, ivory/eggshell head, which remained for literally the entire 20 minutes it took me to drink this miraculous ambrosia. I rarely get excited rating the appearance of a beer, but 5 is frankly an understatement.

S: Very gentle, summery aroma of wheat and ale yeasts with a floral hop bouquet. Notes of citrus. Not an overwhelming smell, which really belies the robust flavor experience ahead. On a positive note, I barely smelled the alcohol, despite the high ABV.

T: First reaction: this is one complex freakin’ beer. Rich malts, wheaty sweetness, baked fruits, summery spice, and notes of brown sugar and banana provide enough strong flavors to hide the 9.5% alcohol (until you get to the back). Yeasty citrus matches the aroma nicely. Surprisingly, all the tastes going on in this beer actually work together in perfect concert. And THAT is what separates a true Trappist, the product of generation after generation of monks perfecting their craft, from well-intentioned imitators. Whereas a lot of “abbey-styles” can come close to reproducing the wide range of flavors, only the real deal can make them come together so flawlessly into a unified, concentrated taste experience.

MF: Smooth and luscious. Silky texture fills the mouth without coating it. Makes its presence known, but then goes down easily. Not nearly as syrupy as some heavy abbey-styles. Once again: this beer excels where others try and fail.

D: This is, frankly, beer the way it was meant to be. I gave it a 4.5 for S, because I wish there was more of it. Rated it a 5 for A, T, MF, and D, only because I couldn’t give it anything higher. 5 is too low. Show some damned respect. Full body sits surprisingly light. While the ABV is fairly well masked, it will eventually catch up. That said, I received a single bottle as part of a gift basket, but could easily see throwing back a four pack. Do yourself a favor and drink this beer right now. (2,143 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into an oversize wine glass.

Apperance: Pours a glowing, hazy apricot color. The creamy/foamy white head is quite solid, and stays thick for quite a while. Some light carbonation is visible along the edges.

Smell: The smell is not overly strong, but there is a bready element that presents itself first. Cloves, pepper, apricot, and honey also make themselves quite apparent. Has a nice complexity to it.

Taste: The flavor has a distinctly "mellow" feel to it, which is really interesting though hard to describe. Lots of spices, honey, and apricot are present, together with yeasty undertones. Alcohol is quite present as well, but that flavor seems to be well-fused with the others, rather than standing out on it's own.

Mouthfeel: Due to how dense the beer is, it has a rather thick-bodied feel, yet it doesn't feel particularly heavy. Silky smooth and goes down great.

Drinkabillity: For such a strong beer, it goes down remarkably well. And as I mentioned before, the alcohol flavor is fused with the spices and other flavors, which is a major plus.

The nectar of the gods? Quite possibly! Certainly my favorite tripel, and a wonderful beer in general! (1,198 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

750 ml bottle, poured ironically into a Coors Light pint glass by the 19 year old waitress who clearly did know the irony of her choice of glass for a beer of this quality!

A burnt orange color is accompanied by a soft and lingering head of fluffy foam. The head is truely exceptional on this beer.

A fresh taste, with a touch of alcohol, but mostly a more refreshing taste than most Triples. I find many Triples to have carbonation that is very noticeable, but this was not the case here. Very smooth. I could not place the exact flavors, but they were a real treat.

Aftertaste is pleasant and not overwhelming. The beer made the accompanying meal delightful - it matched well with the fish tacos that I oddly paired it with.

Instantly became one of favorite beers.... (776 characters)

11.2 oz. into a tulip

A: Pours a clear golden/honey color with a three finger pillowy and rocky white head. Dissipates to a constant half-finger head with great lacing after every sip.

S: Lemon, clove, booze, flowers, pears, apricots/peaches, apples and caramel all make up the complex and wonderful nose.

T: The taste starts with the fruits smelled in the nose. Next layer of flavor is the booze punch followed immediately by the cloves. Oily lemon zest and flowers follow and then the buttery/biscuity malts that linger on my palate. A very faint hint of the caramel or honey can be found in the aftertaste as well.

M: Thick and filmy with high carbonation, perfect for this style. Sweet taste with a crisp dry finish.

D: Incredible beer with tons of flavor and character. Not by any means a sessionable beer, but one that could be enjoyed day after day with no problem. A truly great beer. (897 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured into a Westmalle chalice a hazy pineapple color, somewhat orange in the middle and yellow on the edges. Not much in the way of foam or lacing, but that's probably due to the high ABV. Very sweet, boozy aroma. Hints of apple and spice, big hits of candy sugar, and citrus. Flavor is incredible. Orange juice, candied citrus fruits, slightly grassy and floral. Slight acidic wine flavor shows up as it warms. Alcohol is well-hidden on the tongue but a warming can be felt on the way down. Nice amount of carbonation, tingly at first, but a little thick on the tongue as it flows. A true delight and a true sipper. to be consumed in small, adoring amounts. Perfect tripel. (676 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured into a sniffer a cloudy pale golden yellow with a rich full crisp white head. The head stays for a bit then leaves some lacing.

Huge smell fills the naisal cavities with a sharp boozy sent. A supreme blend of spices lay in this beer.

So smooth with tiny tastes of spice. For such a big beer it certainly is smooth. Roasted malts challenge the sweet malts in a beautiful battle to overtake the senses of my pallet.

The feel is carbonated and slick.

An extremely drinkable trappist.

Cheers,