Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,972 | Reviews: 1,618

1.16/5  rDev -73%

1.32/5  rDev -69.3%

1.6/5  rDev -62.8%

1.83/5  rDev -57.4%

I hate to give a beer (especially a Trappist) a bad review but this beer was not very good at all. I had a few sips and then poured the rest of the 750 down the drain. I may have gotten a bad batch but I found this beer to be quite bitter and sour and not what I would expect from a Tripel.

2.25/5  rDev -47.7%

2.36/5  rDev -45.1%

9.5% ABV
11.2 oz Brown bottle $5.95 State Street
Appearance: Hazy amber honey color
Very tall head sticks around a while
Bubbles coming from glass like champagne, but not strong
Smell: Beery, sweet fruit, a little yeasty
Flavor: foamy, coats the tongue,long lasting bitter aftertaste
Too much bitter for me, like grapefruit pith
Overall: 2/5 Not to my liking at all. It tastes like what I expect a beer to taste like, which is why
I don't like beer. Bitter and sort of bland.

2.46/5  rDev -42.8%

Must have had a bad bottle as I love Trappist brews but this one was not good at all. Not even going to go through the rating as it was just bad. Skunkyish, stale, not much taste, not good at all. Total waste of money and not even sure if I would even try it again.

2.49/5  rDev -42.1%

Cant get on the bandwagon hype just a little to fruity for me and sweet

2.53/5  rDev -41.2%

Appearence: Pours an incrdedibly clear light orange with a huge, creamy, frothy, mountainous white head that stays forever.

Smell: The smell is fruity and spicy, with a suprising amount of yeast and wood notes.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Wow. This tastes like crap. No fruitiness at all, no good spices, just a strong alcoholic flavor mixed with a crappy, yeasty adjucnt flavor. The aftertaste is the only saving grace. While it's mostly dominated by alcohol, there's also a tiny bit of fruitness. The mouthfeel is thin.

Drinkbaility and Overall: This is one of the more dissapointed beers I've had lately. Maybe it was just a bad bottle, but nothing about it really tasted good. It's pretty, and smells nice, but goes downhill from there. Not one I'd really like to have again.

2.53/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2 oz. bottle in a snifter glass.

A - Slightly orange brown cloudy color with a thin white head.

S - Grainy and almost like wet dog. I hate to day that but it does.

T - It tastes better than it smells at least although I am still not impressed. It is a little sweet and very grainy. A little bitter also.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - Did not like this one at all.

2.56/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 750 ml bottle. Left a one finger head that quickly receded to just surface skim that did linger to the end. Sporadic lacing. Color is a densely hazy yellowy-orange amber.

Aroma - Sweet and spicy, and some alcoholic astringency.Can smell diacetyl. Little bit of candied fruit.

Taste - A bready malt at first, a surprise given that I could not detect it in the aroma. Gives way to a spicy alcohol medicinal taste. And that diacetyl that I mentioned. The alcohol makes its presence very known, which is something that always turns me off, even though I like, and actually prefer, high abv brews - but they have to do their best to make it as undetectable as possible, or at least integrate it into a sublime part of the overall flavor profile. Also, diacetyl is another major turn off to me. Finish is sweet and very dry.

Mouthfeel - full, with moderate carbonation. Leaves you very dry.

Drinkability - the high abv alone limits this to one serving of 750 ml ( or two 12 oz.'ers etc, you get the idea...), but for me this just wasn't something I'd want another one of, at any rate. The diacetyl and alcohol taste pretty much ruin this for me.

2.59/5  rDev -39.8%

A - poured from a 330ml bottle into a tulip glass. It's cloudy amber with a big head and has lots of visible silt particles floating about.

S - strong estery malt with a robust alcohol presence

T - sweet malt with light fruit tones, then a very strong peppery alcohol flavor and a medicinal funk to finish

M - medium-low carbonation, medium body. When the peppery alcohol flavor hits there is a feeling of scouring or medicinal cleaning (somewhat similar to astringency but different). There is a potent throat warming feeling as well.

D - the medicinal alcohol flavors and antiseptic mouthfeel are too crazy in this brew, it looks great in the glass though

2.63/5  rDev -38.8%

First of all, was not impressed with this beer. It tasted sour and unpleasent. I might have got a bad bottle of this Belgium Ale. It drank sour and had no flavor what so ever to be rated high. I wouldn't even consider it an average beer in the state that it was in. Sorry, pass on this one.

2.64/5  rDev -38.6%

A: Pours a hazy apricot color with a huge two finger cream colored head. Looks really awesome.

S: Uh oh. Skunk and funk. First thing I smelled was a blast of skunk, followed by a pretty big dose of brett. Pretty sure it's not supposed to smell like this. Some toasted oak, almond meal, and Belgian yeast.

T: In a word- unbalanced. Stays between big flavors of sweet Belgian yeast and a pretty substantial bretty funk flavor. Aspirin and heavy bready malt as well. Again, I don't think this bottle is right. I'll revisit and rewrite if necessary.

2.66/5  rDev -38.1%

Had for a year at this point. served in Duvel glass from 1PT 9.4 fl oz bottle.

A: Hazy yello in color, some active carbonation, white head that dissipates quickly. No lacing

S: Yeast, some citrus, and indiscernible fruits

T: See Smell.

M: Light, almost crisp. No carbonation.

D: Underwhelmed, just average in my taste. I will try again encase i got a bad bottle.

2.68/5  rDev -37.7%

The appearance is a golden copper color. This is one foamy beer and creates a huge head. There is a subtle spicy aroma and I picked up coriander spice with a slight orange zest. There is definatley upfront spice with a peppery bitter aftertaste that I found a little disagreable. It's the aftertaste that ruins this beer for me. As for mouthfeel, this is a highly carbonated Belgian ale.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle