Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,649 | Hads: 4,190
1.83/5  rDev -57.1%

I hate to give a beer (especially a Trappist) a bad review but this beer was not very good at all. I had a few sips and then poured the rest of the 750 down the drain. I may have gotten a bad batch but I found this beer to be quite bitter and sour and not what I would expect from a Tripel.

2.36/5  rDev -44.7%

9.5% ABV
11.2 oz Brown bottle $5.95 State Street
Appearance: Hazy amber honey color
Very tall head sticks around a while
Bubbles coming from glass like champagne, but not strong
Smell: Beery, sweet fruit, a little yeasty
Flavor: foamy, coats the tongue,long lasting bitter aftertaste
Too much bitter for me, like grapefruit pith
Overall: 2/5 Not to my liking at all. It tastes like what I expect a beer to taste like, which is why
I don't like beer. Bitter and sort of bland.

2.46/5  rDev -42.4%

Must have had a bad bottle as I love Trappist brews but this one was not good at all. Not even going to go through the rating as it was just bad. Skunkyish, stale, not much taste, not good at all. Total waste of money and not even sure if I would even try it again.

2.53/5  rDev -40.7%

Appearence: Pours an incrdedibly clear light orange with a huge, creamy, frothy, mountainous white head that stays forever.

Smell: The smell is fruity and spicy, with a suprising amount of yeast and wood notes.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Wow. This tastes like crap. No fruitiness at all, no good spices, just a strong alcoholic flavor mixed with a crappy, yeasty adjucnt flavor. The aftertaste is the only saving grace. While it's mostly dominated by alcohol, there's also a tiny bit of fruitness. The mouthfeel is thin.

Drinkbaility and Overall: This is one of the more dissapointed beers I've had lately. Maybe it was just a bad bottle, but nothing about it really tasted good. It's pretty, and smells nice, but goes downhill from there. Not one I'd really like to have again.

2.53/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2 oz. bottle in a snifter glass.

A - Slightly orange brown cloudy color with a thin white head.

S - Grainy and almost like wet dog. I hate to day that but it does.

T - It tastes better than it smells at least although I am still not impressed. It is a little sweet and very grainy. A little bitter also.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - Did not like this one at all.

2.56/5  rDev -40%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 750 ml bottle. Left a one finger head that quickly receded to just surface skim that did linger to the end. Sporadic lacing. Color is a densely hazy yellowy-orange amber.

Aroma - Sweet and spicy, and some alcoholic astringency.Can smell diacetyl. Little bit of candied fruit.

Taste - A bready malt at first, a surprise given that I could not detect it in the aroma. Gives way to a spicy alcohol medicinal taste. And that diacetyl that I mentioned. The alcohol makes its presence very known, which is something that always turns me off, even though I like, and actually prefer, high abv brews - but they have to do their best to make it as undetectable as possible, or at least integrate it into a sublime part of the overall flavor profile. Also, diacetyl is another major turn off to me. Finish is sweet and very dry.

Mouthfeel - full, with moderate carbonation. Leaves you very dry.

Drinkability - the high abv alone limits this to one serving of 750 ml ( or two 12 oz.'ers etc, you get the idea...), but for me this just wasn't something I'd want another one of, at any rate. The diacetyl and alcohol taste pretty much ruin this for me.

2.59/5  rDev -39.3%

A - poured from a 330ml bottle into a tulip glass. It's cloudy amber with a big head and has lots of visible silt particles floating about.

S - strong estery malt with a robust alcohol presence

T - sweet malt with light fruit tones, then a very strong peppery alcohol flavor and a medicinal funk to finish

M - medium-low carbonation, medium body. When the peppery alcohol flavor hits there is a feeling of scouring or medicinal cleaning (somewhat similar to astringency but different). There is a potent throat warming feeling as well.

D - the medicinal alcohol flavors and antiseptic mouthfeel are too crazy in this brew, it looks great in the glass though

2.63/5  rDev -38.4%

First of all, was not impressed with this beer. It tasted sour and unpleasent. I might have got a bad bottle of this Belgium Ale. It drank sour and had no flavor what so ever to be rated high. I wouldn't even consider it an average beer in the state that it was in. Sorry, pass on this one.

2.64/5  rDev -38.2%

A: Pours a hazy apricot color with a huge two finger cream colored head. Looks really awesome.

S: Uh oh. Skunk and funk. First thing I smelled was a blast of skunk, followed by a pretty big dose of brett. Pretty sure it's not supposed to smell like this. Some toasted oak, almond meal, and Belgian yeast.

T: In a word- unbalanced. Stays between big flavors of sweet Belgian yeast and a pretty substantial bretty funk flavor. Aspirin and heavy bready malt as well. Again, I don't think this bottle is right. I'll revisit and rewrite if necessary.

2.66/5  rDev -37.7%

Had for a year at this point. served in Duvel glass from 1PT 9.4 fl oz bottle.

A: Hazy yello in color, some active carbonation, white head that dissipates quickly. No lacing

S: Yeast, some citrus, and indiscernible fruits

T: See Smell.

M: Light, almost crisp. No carbonation.

D: Underwhelmed, just average in my taste. I will try again encase i got a bad bottle.

2.68/5  rDev -37.2%

The appearance is a golden copper color. This is one foamy beer and creates a huge head. There is a subtle spicy aroma and I picked up coriander spice with a slight orange zest. There is definatley upfront spice with a peppery bitter aftertaste that I found a little disagreable. It's the aftertaste that ruins this beer for me. As for mouthfeel, this is a highly carbonated Belgian ale.

2.72/5  rDev -36.3%

750ml bottle. Pours a hazy gold with a huge frothy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet corny malts with some lightly spiced grassy hops and some alcohol. It's almost malt liquorish.

The flavor is sweet malts with a decent grassy hop finish and some spices (coriander). The is some noticeable alcohol in the finish and becomes pretty hot as it warms. The mouthfeel is medium to full with decent carbonation.

Overall, I've had much better Tripels. This was too strong in alcohol, overly sweet, and pretty simplistic.

2.73/5  rDev -36.1%

Bottle poured a slightly clouded sparkling orange-gold ale into my trappist chalace. Discreet fluffy cap and wonderful lacing. Lively champagne-like effervescence.

The nose is greeted with an earthy-spicey-honey-apricot aroma..alcohol not overly obnoxious to the nose.

Medium body. Mouth feel is peppery from the carbonation/alcohol decernment.

Flavor is not overly complex with malt mixture, the dominant sweet brewer’s sugar mingles with caramel malt to give a sweet spiced cider tone, the hops are there but sit in the background providing a tartness reminiscent of sour apple with yeasty-earthy undertones...then the slap in the face... a short, dry, harsh alcoholic finish where the alcohol becomes very apparent and literally obliterates the flavor profile of the ale.

Not my cup of tea....not very drinkable and too sharp/harsh to be savored slowly. Perhaps a year or two in cellar will mellow it, but drunk fresh it's pretty harsh like a high classed euro strong beer. I echo Oakes sentiment: " what the hell is so special about this?"

2.76/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Another mystery from Westmalle. I just reviewed their disappointing dubbel and now this? Clearly, I've either purchased some stale brew or this brewery cannot competantly brew beer.

12 oz brown bottle. Cloudy golden wheat appearance with a thin head in me Chimay chalice.

Aroma is very understated. I can detect some flowery, herbal esters. Not bad. Taste is slightly citrusy and herbal. Modest hoppiness.

Mouthfeel is modest. It's a drinkable brew, but basically a one and done in my opinion. Too expensive and unremarkable to be a session brew.

2.76/5  rDev -35.4%

Poured from a bottle into tulip glass-

A- Poured a nice orange/gold with a head on fine white lacing

S- There wasn't much going on at all in the aroma department. I was a bit disappointed.

T- Spices definitely stand out here and are backed by some fusel alcohol notes and a slight burn

M- Had a very bubbly mouthfeel

D- Average drinkability, but I really wasn't too impressed by this one. Probably wouldn't pay for it again. Maybe it was just an off batch.

2.96/5  rDev -30.7%

12oz bottle poured into goblet.

A: Pours a cloudy golden-orange-yellow with two fingers of foamy white head, which dissipate quickly. Good lacing.

S: Yeast is the first thing that hits my nose here, followed by some light spiciness, banana, and a heavy dose of ethanol.

T: Quite sweet and tangy; bubblegum, banana, and some clove all come into play here, with candy sugar malts in the background too. Unfortunately, the ethanol flavor here is a bit extreme, even jarring, as it masks much of the rest in its prominence.

M: Thin-bodied for the style, with moderate/lively carbonation. Lots of warmth from the alcohol.

D: A bit hard to enjoy in contrast with the other tripels I've had considering that the flavors are mostly sweet and faint, and easily overpowered by the alcohol.

2.98/5  rDev -30.2%

11.2 oz. bottle

Appearance: This beer appeared a hazy pale yellow while it was being poured. However, once it was collected in the glass, it was a strong, amber-orange color. The white head rose up to about one finger and then disappeared quickly. A thick patch of foam remained in the center of the glass for the entire drink because it was being fed from a strong column of bubbles rising from the bottom. There was a light sprinkling of lace left behind on the side of the glass.

Smell: Grapes, white wine, green apples, and yeast were the first smells to jump out at me. Further investigation revealed light spicy alcohol and a thin layer of roasted malts underneath. There was a spicy, almost peppery, bite on the nose, though it was very subdued. Overall, the aroma was okay, but it lacked depth. Kind of thin and airy.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth on the tip of the tongue, with the carbonation developing strongly as the beer moved back in the mouth. It became very spongy feeling. Almost medium bodied.

Taste: Strongly vinuous and alcoholic. White wine and alcohol hit hard right from the start and continue to overpower all the other flavors through the finish and well into the aftertaste. Hints of yeast and sweet apple peak through from the background, as well as a hint of malt on the finish.

I've tried the beer quite a few times before and it has never impressed me. This is definitely one of my least favorite Trappist brews.

Appearance: Orange, very cloudy body; big head with good lacing

Aroma: Citrusy; spicy; floral

Taste: Tangy fruit; strong alcohol; resiny hops

Remarks: Much better as it warms

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; so please disregard those scores

3.04/5  rDev -28.8%

330ml bottle into Chimay goblets.

Appearance- bright gold, finger-and-a-half off white head.

Smell- some funky, musty, farmy yeast aroma is definitely noticeable. Also sweet, sugary, fruity aromas. It isn't a good smell, to be honest, a bit like how a really good cheese can smell really unappetizing. Tuna? Wet hay? I don't know, it smells bad to me. Hopefully the taste will make up for it, like a funky cheese.

Taste- malty, fruity, and dry. Very, very dry. The alcohol ads some bite to the mouthfeel, and some heat to the spice profile. The main flavors are sugar, alcohol, and a hint of fruit and spices. Swallow is clean, with a dry, tart, sweet apple flavor. Aftertaste is surprisingly hoppy.

Mouthfeel- crisp, light, full body, easy on the swallow. All around pretty good.

Drinkability- pretty good.

To be honest, I am a bit let down by this beer. I really enjoyed the Westmalle Dubbel last night, and was looking forward to their triple tonight, but I find it to be a much more simple, less deep and interesting beer, which isn't terrible in and of itself, but it does leave me feeling a bit let down. The bottle says best before 2010, so I don't think that is the issue here.

Upon edit: the more I drink this, the less I like it. After my review, I read some other reviews, I have none of the complex, nice flavors or aromas that other people mention, and frankly, not much positive flavor or aroma at all. To me, this is like a cheap, sparkling white wine. Dry and sweet all at once, with too much of both and no real balance. I would prefer this to a Bud Light or something, but there are any number of good beers I would rather spend my money on than this.

Hate to bash a Trappist, but this is really lacking, IMO.

3.13/5  rDev -26.7%

Boy, I was disappointed in this one. Of course, I had high expectations going in, after reading the reviews here.

First the good news. The mouthfeel is outstanding. A fairly high amount of carbonation, but I like that. Very crisp finish. The appearance is also nice, a light amber with just a touch of cloudiness. A gentle pour generated almost no head, which is also fine with me, because I don't like to wait for a head to subside before I can start drinking.

Now the bad news. The alcohol taste is way too harsh. I know that alcohol can be masked better in 9% ABV Belgians, because Unibroue does it with theirs. No alcohol masking with this beer. To me, it tasted like a Duvel with a shot of Everclear poured into it.

This booziness destroyed the drinkability for me. If I want a boilermaker, I'll order one. Also, drinking just one 330 ml bottle gave me heartburn and a slight hangover, which never happens to me when drinking a similar size bottle of other 9% brews.

3.13/5  rDev -26.7%

Picked up a bottle to give it a try. Pours foamy, with a head that quickly subsides. Aroma is of pears and other fruits. Taste is hard to get a finger on, as it's blow away quickly by the alcohol warmth and aggressive carbonation. Slighty spicy too, and warming. Could use more malt and body to stand up to everything else going on. Seems vinous and thin.

Not bad, but I don't think I'll look for this again.

3.15/5  rDev -26.2%

Pours a very pretty crystal clear gold. The carbonation is good; the beer foams up when poured but settles to a fairly flat, yet rocky head, leaving some lace behind. Sweet malt in the nose, but otherwise smells neutral, no hops or esters. Tastes of soft, sweet, pils malt, a dash of peppery hop spice, a little bit sugary sweetness, then a hot, bitter finish. Rather coarse alcohol burn is unpleasant.

I remember this beer as much more complex than what I'm drinking right now, which seems to have more in common with a strong European lager than a Tripel. It's much too clean, hot and bitter compared to my previous tasting.

My experience with this beer was slightly improved once I poured some of the yeast at the bottom of the bottle into my glass. Adding the yeast sediment seemed to soften up with bitterness and add a little fruity character (I'm thinking apricot and maybe peach) as well as touch of a nutty flavor. Still "hot" in the finish though, which I still don't like.

3.15/5  rDev -26.2%

After drinking my first, and it was a gift, I've got to tell you that this beer is _seriously overrated_

A- clear straw color, white foamy head, great lacing, nice bubbles, looks fabulous.

S - mild

T - mostly just a warming of alcohol, everything else is subtle.

S - not much nose.

M - well, it's not thick or thin, and the carbonation is helpful. So, almost perfect mouthfeel and awesome in looks, but...

D - kinda dull, but drinkable. You could knock them back and get plastered. I'm not that impressed.

3.16/5  rDev -26%

11.2oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a bright golden yellow with quite a bit of yeast sediment throughout and an extremely thick, foamy white head.

The aroma is quite estery and boozy.

Taste follows the nose, estery and boozy for the most part with some spicy phenols.

Medium light, fluffy mouthfeel.

A decent beer, though I feel the alcohol and phenol notes are too prominent at times.

3.17/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance: Pale straw-colored body topped with a profuse, foamy white head.

Smell: The aroma is marked by citrus, green apples tartness, and candy sugar. Slight hints of the alcohol content peek through in the nose.

Taste: All at once, it's sweet, citrusy, and spicy. Very much like a dry white wine. Wraps up with a rather pronounced alcohol finish full of yeasty notes.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body that is slightly watery with a fizzy cabonation.

Drinkability: A rather dispiriting experience. Sadly, this is one of my least favorite of the trappist beers.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle