Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,080 | Reviews: 1,641
3.62/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy medium golden/orange, large white head which laces decently. Aroma is vinous, lot's of grape, sugar cookie dough, and honey. Flavor is sweet (candied sugar?), doughie, and vinous, with alcohol also playing a decent part in the flavor front. Medium-full bodied, too much alcohol present, IMO.

3.62/5  rDev -15.8%

A very aggressive head on this one, took me 3 stages to get it all out of the 330 ml brown bottle. The result is a merrengue-like ethereal head, and as it slowly drops I was rewarded with a half-moon shape embossed in it. Aw shucks... Almost a creamy-like lacing left over. The body is a hazy apricot with lazy eddies of carbonation and a bit of suspended particles, since I gave the bottle a quick swish before I poured out the remaining contents.

A bit of sugary sweetness greets the nose first, along with citrus rind, before the spice really hits. Difficult to dissect the spice profile at this point though, it tends to play cat and mouse.

The alcohol steps forward quickly to shake my hand upon the first sip. It warms the mouth while everything else in the flavour subtely slips by, and then its all over. Some grains and spice in the middle, and a hoppy, rind-ish finish. Balanced and subtle, but overwhelmed by the alcohol content. Seems to me at times more like a high-octane English Bitter than a tripel.

The mouthfeel is light, but smooth and velvety, it compliments the aesthetics of the head. It's a small pleasure to roll over the tongue.

However the mouthfeel alone isn't enough to bring me back for another one of these any time soon. A lower abv% may have helped to compliment the subtlety of the flavour profile more, as the two aren't jiving particularly well for now, since I'd much rather be dancing with the wallflower rather than the boozy partner that keeps rubbing up against me every time I turn around and take a sip.

3.62/5  rDev -15.8%

It's probably not for me to review this beer. I respect the Westmalle Trappist monks, I really do. They have made their own proprietary yeast for centuries, and I've come to love it through Lagunitas' seasonal "Little Sumpin' Wild" offering - an American DIPA paired with a distinctive Belgian yeast. The two come together IMO, to make magic.

So when I found a $6 bottle of the Westmalle Trippel at (of all places) a Kroger, I thought "this is a life experience that I should have." And then, OK, I had it.

The good news is that I can tell that this is a masterful concoction. It's sort of in the same way that I can tell that an operatic soprano is magnificent, though I really just don't care to listen to her. The fact is - I'm a hops guy. I'm an IBU guy. Westmalle Trippel is surely magnificent also, but it's just not me. My wife would like it - it compares more favorably in taste, color and mouthfeel to a champagne than most ales - but there's no bitter and malty interplay, less complexity. It's light, sweet, refreshing, and very, very fizzy.

So I struggled to give fair ratings to an ale that I don't happen to like, but whose achievements are just lost on me due to my own limitations. Nevertheless, I figure that there are probably some IPA aficionados out there who would be intrigued at the opportunity to try a world-class ale and are wondering if they'd like it. My advice - if you like champagne, you'll love this ale. If you love hops, probably not.

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

On tap at the Cafe Trappisten across from the abbey. Pours a great-looking, slightly cloudy gold with a thick white head that gradually recedes into a film. Very nice lacing.

Smells of sugar, hops, light fruits, malt, and alcohol. This carries on to the taste, but the sugar ends up dominating, closely followed by the fruits (peaches, apples, apricots) and the alcohol, which is not masked very well at all. A bit of malt helps to balance it a bit, but it is still weighted heavilly towards a heady, sweet, alcohol character.

Mouthfeel is good and thick, with a creamy head. Slight carbonation and a bit of alcoholic bite--very interesting.

Overall a good beer, but too sweet to be anything other than an occasional sipper.

Sep 26, 2009
small bottle. pours a cloudy orange colour. definately a sipper, not a bad alc.% taste, but you can feel it running through you with each drink, it made me shiver, in a good way. Pretty solid beer overall. Definately worth another try if I come across it again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Seen this on shelves for years. Never bothered to buy a bottle (not a big fan of Tripels). But, suddenly ... for no reason whatsoever ... I felt the need to grab a bottle. Must be a weird planetary alignment.

Pours a hazy, lemony golden yellow. Quarter inch of soapy foam. Gobs of white stuff cling to the glass. Hurm.

Smells like sweet sweetness with a bit of yeast zest. Eh. Boring. Maybe a hint of honey to it.

Taste is honey-ed malt with a sweet malt base, some yeast, a tad bit of grassy zest, and a smattering of mineral crackers. A bit of lemon ... maybe some other citrus in there, kind of like an orange rind. It's okay. Kind of grew on me after awhile, but really not my cup o' tea.

Nicely carbonated. Pleasant enough, I suppose.

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

I brought this beer to a sunday family dinner. Thanksgiving day style foods.
Even some family members who said " i don't like beer that much" enjoyed it very much! It was a great compliment to the food as well a nice lubricant to loosen everyone up.

We drank from pints (only beer glasses my mom had) and it poured very nice
a deep deep golden yellow orange with a few phases. It started darker then lightened up a bit. The head was white and light and I was pouring a little aggressively

The mouthfeel was normal but the the taste is what did it for me. Very good tasting beer especially with food. I am going to try this beer on it's own one day but it's a great dinner beer in my opinion

Taste was great. Strong alcohol presence (in a good way) with zest and spice. Dinner was great and after an hour an a few bottles my 86 year old grandfather was telling dirty jokes! We ALL enjoyed it!

Date:14/01/12
From: Premier Wine & Spirits

A: Pale yellow-orange body boasting three fingers of fluffy white head. Retention is great and leaves loads of lacing.

S: Light citrus fruits, spices and yeast. Quite plain.

T: Mild notes of spices, citrus, yeast and some sweet maltiness.

M: Light bodied and high carbonation. Very frothy texture and leaves a sweet spicy finish. Alcohol shows up on the way down, but it's not that noticeable.

D: Decent over all, but to mild and plain for my liking.

3.64/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured an extremely large, feather-light head. A hazy, straw colored body presents itself once the head dissipates.
The astringency and hoppiness present themselves in the aroma as onions and paint. It is such a lovely smell (sarcasm), and it is hard to get past it. There is a malt backbone, as well, but it is overwhelmed by the astringency and smell of alcohol.
Thank God you don't taste whats in the aroma. Alcohol is still there, but it isn't paint or onions. There is, however, a great balance between the hops and malts.
Mouthfeel is a bit syrapy, but still very good. The taste lasts just long enough on the tongue, without leaving any weird aftertastes. It is a good beer, but doesn't make you yearn to take another sip that great beers will do.

3.64/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Westmalle Tripel

Best By 05/09/14. Tulip glass.

A: Pours a straw-golden color with a finger of fluffy, airy, bright white head. The head slowly deflates, leaving behind a wall of intricate lacing. Very good retention, some champagne-like effervescence, but average clarity.

S: Fruity esters, candied stone fruit, floral and clove, a bit of smoke (?), honey-coated apple, and tasty sweetish malt.

T: Slightly fruity malt, floral and spice notes again, a Diet Coke-like flavor or sweetness that is beyond me. This has a muddled finish, with a sharp graphite/pencil off-taste (maybe the yeast) with some sugar.

M: High carbonation, soft, medium body. Alcohol is pretty well hidden.

O: I'm not sure what's going on with the flavor in this, but it's not really doing it for me. The aroma is quite appealing, though muted. I'm a little let down since this is supposed to be somewhat of a classic.

3.64/5  rDev -15.3%

[Best served in a Trappist glass]

Poured a medium murky yellow almost gold in color with a huge (3 to 4 fingers) white frothy head that was fully lasting and had excellent lacing.

The aroma was of light grain malts, a piney hop and a mild soapy yeast with notes of dried fruit, banana, clove and a mild dose of alcohol.

It tasted a bitter-sour with hints of banana and clove throughout then had a mild fruity flavor with a slight pepper note and a rather heavy alcohol tinge at the end. The flavor stayed with you for nice long time allowing one to enjoy this brew well after the swallow.

Mouthfeel was light to medium in body and had a dry texture with a mild to medium carbonation.

Overall this Tripel was kind of fruity with a nice spice note and had a good kick to it at the end. Very Tasty!!!

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

Had this just a few minutes ago watching poker. Poured a hazy orange with frothy white head that left almost no lacing, with plenty of sediment floating around. Smelled pretty hoppy and of fruity yeast. Tasted of fruity yeast, malt, and light hops. Somewhat smooth, but overcarbed. Could drink a few.

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

Wow, I don't know if I have ever seen a head like this. Poured 10+ minutes ago and there is still a 2 inch head that looks like an arctic landscape. The beer is a pale, pilsneresque yellow. Smells like sweet and spicy citrus, some pear in there too. Quite yeasty.

First sip, I noticed all the fruit from the smell plus a hint of banana. Spicy and herbal, verging on antiseptic. It's a little too bitter for my experience of the style. Or maybe it is just too bitter for me without a massive hop presence to back it up. Also, the alcohol is way too noticeable, but apparently not too much, because I can't stop sipping it.
Wow. After drinking a little more than half, there is still thick foam sticking to the top of the glass. Ridiculous.
It's thicker, but less effervescent, than what I'd expect from a Trappist or any other Belgian.

I don't want another right now, but I'm still going to buy another one. Something tells me that a couple years in the dark will do wonders for this beer. But fresh, I'd go for Orval.

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

Cloudy brownish orange color with floating yeast particles, has a foamy off white head that clings to my glass. Bready yeasty aroma of bananas. Sweet and malty fruity flavors with a slight bubblegum yeasty taste. Medium-full body with a dry finish, alcohol taste comes out as it warms, I like the Dubbel a little better, a bit more balanced.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

At homebrewing meeting, part of style of the month.

A - Poured a golden-yellow color, with a 2 fingered head, dissipated slow and left some nice lacing.

S/T - Bread and spicy hops. Surprised no candi sugars.

M - Well balanced, but a little too hop dominated. Made the feel slightly thin.

D - Would not say no to this beer, it is good, but could improve on the mouthfeel and with some added taste.

3.66/5  rDev -14.9%

Picked this up at the bottle shop down the road.

From a bottle into a chalice.

APPEARANCE: Pours a medium-thick looking fluffy 1 finger white head. Colour is a golden yellow with almost zero carbonation evident. Lots of little floaties as well. Head fades to a decent film and leaves some lacing. A thin film stays to the end but leaves minimal lace down the glass. I'd call this pretty average for the stle.

SMELL: A decently strong nose of toasted malt, biscuit and lemon peel. Some spicy notes in there as well and a strong trace of yeast. An underbelly of alcohol ties it all together nicely. Probably the best part of the beer.

TASTE: Sweet malt up front with some raw honey and lemon peel again. Some biscuit again and a touch of hop bitterness as well. This soon give way to a burst of spicy and medicinal alcohol at the end. The mild long lasting aftertaste is bitter-sweet with some spicy alcohol as well. Enjoyable, but the alcohol is a little too present for my liking.

PALATE: Thin and lighter body with high end carbonation. Creamy smooth on the palate, goes down surprisingly smooth but ends with a little alcohol bite and burns down the throat. Finishes rather dry on the palate.

OVERALL: An enjoyable triple, but in my view it is not as enjoyable a triple as their dubbel is a dubbel. This is a very aggressive triple, and the alcohol burst might be overwhelming for some. I'm more of a fan of the milder Chimay and St. Bernardus triples, but this one is interesting in its own right. Recommended for those interested in the style.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter.

A-Hazed, golden beer, some floaties (not in a bad way). Hube white head, indicative of its high carbonation, with strong retention and thick lacing.

S-Peach-fruit esters, bready-sweet malts, yeasty undertone.

T-Bready-sweet maltiness dominates with an assertive spicy character. Quite enjoyable. Fruitiness is not widespread, but definately present. Drying alcohol appears near the middle-end, yet still smooth and not overpowering, but instead mixing nicely with the bread and biscuit sweetness.

M-High, but very creamy carbonation, very characteristic. Medium-full body is very luxurious and enjoyable, providing an exciting interplay with the carbonation.

D- Pretty comlplex, but perhaps lacking something in smoothness. Drinkable, but not exceptionally so.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased from Strong Bros. Liquor, Fayetteville, TN.

(Beer consumed on 4/12/06. Verbatim notes follow.)

A: Orange-yellow body, thick white foamy head.

S: Strong citrus (oranges?) aroma, slightly yeasty.

T: Yeasty off-tasting Belgian flavor, some oranges.

M: Foamy and astringent mouthfeel, leaves warm alcoholic aftertaste.

D: Drinkable, good beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Hazy pale yellow with a 3 finger white head with very good retention and lacing. The aroma has lemon, Belgian yeast, green apple, and pepper.

The taste is exactly like the aroma. Lemon, Belgian yeast, green apple and pepper. The sweetness, is held in check by the pepper flavor and the hops. Not as sweet as most Tripels. Very close to being a Saison.

Light to medium bodied, with high carbonation. Finishes dry. Not my favorite Trappist Ale, but still good.

3.67/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured with a full champagne-like eggshell colored head that stayed along for the ride! A+ for head retention. Very effervescent. Cloudy and golden, unfiltered cider appearance. Noted the interesting shaping of the bottle which is intreiging. Label all in german, so no knowlege to be gained there about this triple... Vineous scent, apple juice. First taste is more alcohol than anything else. Extremely high in carbination, but still smooth. Sweet apples and chardonay, but bitter background. Reminds me of when playing with food and peeling grapes and just eating the skin off of them. With such a high carbination I cannot see having more than one of these, and I am not one for high sugar flavors, I find the sweetness here to be a bit cloying. Decent with bread and cheeses though.

3.67/5  rDev -14.7%

this beer poured clear and golden with a tall foamy head, it smaeeld tart and hoppy.
The flavor was slightly smoky with crisp bitterness and hops, there as some mild tartness in the finish. As a tripel its characteristics in general supprised me more bitter and lighter in collor most specificaly. it wasnt a bad beer, but ertainly not my favorite.

3.67/5  rDev -14.7%

11.2oz bottle into Chimay goblet.

A: Pours a hazy honey-citrus orange with a huge, billowing, dense, white collar head that kept increasing in size after I finished pouring my glass. The top of the head became firm like meringue and stayed as a dollop of cream on top of the beer the whole bottle through. A ton of very sticky lacing was left down the glass as well.
S: Smells of sweet golden fruits and peppery Belgian spices. I pick up notes of pear and doughy yeast as well.
T: Medicinal notes of both dark and golden fruits along with some subtle pepper, clove, nutmeg, cardamom, and other spices. Yeast has a touch of banana. Finish is warm with alcohol and slightly cough-syrup like, which is a bit off-putting to me. Aftertaste is bitter, almost sour, and lightly sweet.
M: Ultra creamy and silky mouthfeel over a full, rich body. Like I said, the alcohol is noticeable, but well integrated. Definitely bolder than other tripels. Finish is dryer than most.
D: It's no La Fin Du Monde, which is my favorite, but this is an excellent, well crafted beer. It could be a little sweeter and fruitier, and maybe less boozy and medicinal, but who am I to argue with a world class beer. I'm glad I tried it, but I'd probably drink La Fin, Chimay or St. Bernardus before this.

3.67/5  rDev -14.7%

Haven;t had a good tripel in a while. Been looking forward to trying this one for a while.

750 ML brown bottle poured into a Westmalle Trappist Goblet.

A - A cloudy pale yellow-oragne color with a thin white head that has some staying power.

S - A fruity smell with a pretty big alcohol hint and some bubble gum aroma. A decent, well balanced smell.

T - Taste is a little more subdued than the smell with that same bubble gum type flavor. A little bit of alcohol in there. Not much of that fruity flavor. A bit of a fresh cut grass kind of taste ( I know that sound wierd)

M - Slick and bubbly on the tongue. Pretty decent feel.

D - I'm actually not really wowed by this one. By no means a bad Tripel but it doesn't leave me running back for more.

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours yellow to gold with white head. Firm foam lingers well in the glass. Fruity aroma with hints of spices. A nice dry hoppy finish after each swallow but not as strong as expected. Fizzy from start to finish makes it quite enjoyable. Some say the taste is bitter after the temperature warms up but I didn't notice enough to deter me from finishing.

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a bottle of this into a snifter glass.

A: Pours a cloudy, straw colored body with a thick, silky white head with good retention and excellent lacing along the sides of the glass.

S: A slight, malty smell with some banana esters.

T: A strong, alcohol taste that burns the tongue a little. Some banana esters are present in the aftertaste.

M: A fairly, light and crisp mouthfeel that was not exactly what I was expecting but pretty good overall.

D: A pretty good tripel overall. Ok drinkability, but the alcohol seemed a bit much (started to burn my mouth and throat as I drank more of it). I am not sure how much of it I would be able to handle, but if a tripel is your style, this is a fair example of one.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle