Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
3.31/5  rDev -23%

The colour is orange-yellow; the liquid hazy. The high white compact head slowly sinks down to a fine lid, leaving lots of lacing.

The strong smell is yeasty and very sweet. Fruity sour notes of apples and pineapples. I noted some alcohol and a hint of marzipan.

The taste is sweet with notes of nuts and exotic fruits. Some citric-sour bitter hints and a mild yeasty flavour. Complex notes of dough, lime peels, apricots and plums. Some alcohol in the aftertaste, as notes of exotic fruits, dough and bitter herbs.

The carbonation is mild; small bubbles. The liquid is smooth and sticky.

Well... A triple above average. But not much more.

3.32/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured a light golden hazy color with a white head that left decent lacing. Slight carbonation is also present in the appearance. It had faint hints of hops in the smell, but the aroma was largely made up of malts and yeast. The taste was largely malts and yeast. Very sweet taste. It boasted a thin-medium body with carbonation bubbles jumping across my tounge. No real hints of any alcohol content.

Pretty good. Possible my favorite Trappist Tripel I have had to date. Went down nice and had a highly refreshing finish.

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%

11.2 oz bottle served at cellar temperature into a St Bernardus goblet. Pours a clear, honey gold with a billowy, ivory head that retains well, and leaves classic Belgian sheet lacing behind. Nice aroma of bananas, cloves, and alcohol. Mouthfeel has fizzy carbonation and hard alcohol bite. Alcohol hits the palate immediately, without any disguise. Not good. Hop and yeasty bitterness dominate the taste. At room temperature, some banana and pear tastes struggle to emerge, but don't really arrive. I found this Tripel difficult to finish, as the taste is all unpleasant bitterness and overwhelming alcohol. Maybe the yeasts got out of whack in this bottle, but it's the first Belgian Tripel I didn't like. Very ho-hum.

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured into a Chimay goblet and had to slow down to keep the head contained, it practically jumped out of the glass. Golden yellow, head is white and not all that sticky.
Fruity sweetness along with some earthy notes in the nose. However, I got way too much funkiness and sourness combined with a weird bitterness in the flavor. I know this is a world class beer with tons of history, but this Tripel just isn't for me. I was able to drink the whole thing without a problem, but I don't think I'll be going down this road again.

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%

A- Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Ommegang chalice. Pours a Golden color, nearly straw. Very light head.

S- Very light nose on this one. Some wheat and malts.

T- Orange and citrus flavors. Also that signature Belgian yeast flavor.

M- Medium carbonation on this one.

D- Not an incredible tripel but very drinkable and tasty.

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured a light amber color with a thick white head with lots of lacing. Looks great.

Smelled of bananas, alcohol and slightly grassy with some cloves.

Taste of bananas, cloves, yeast, phenol. Everything was on more of the mild side. Was expected more full flavors from this one. Mouthfeel was a bit thinner that I expected, and I could really taste the alcohol.

Not quite as good as I thought it would be, not sure if this sat out in the light to long. I liked the dubbel more. Still a good beer.

3.35/5  rDev -22.1%

First off, this beer has easily the largest head I"ve ever seen on a beer, big white, fluffy, foam. Good retention, some lacing too. Cloudy, deep gold body with lots of bubbles. I like the aroma, very sweet, but a light sweetness. I hint of floral hops hiding in there too. Can really taste the alcohol in this, a little too much. It has a very dry finish, that actually leaves me thirsty. Doesn't taste as sweet as it smells

3.36/5  rDev -21.9%

Presentation: Poured from an 11.2oz brown bottle into a Duvel chalice. The bottle is short and stubby, with a raised ring of glass aorund the neck. The side of the label has places to motch a date, years and months, but nothing is notched. Imprinted on the back is the date 03/01/08. I assume that is a drink by date.

Appearance: Pours with about 1 inch of almost pure white head. This settles slowly, leaving a ring aorund the glass and a decent skim coating of foam. Lots of lacing. The beer itself is a beautiful honey color and very hazy.

Smell: A subtle sweet smell, citrusy and somewhat syrupy. Definite wheat tang. Slight smell of molasses or brown sugar.

Taste: Alcohol taste is fairly strong, maybe it would settle with some aging. Sweet malt undertones, with a bitter fruit aftertaste, not really pleasant. A slight hint of honey.

Mouthfeel: Average level of carboantion. A great creamy finish.

Drinkability: A little bit disappointed. The appearance is great and the smell is pretty good. The taste however, I found unpleasantly bitter, not a hop bitterness, but an unripe fruit finish. Maybe this would benefit from some aging. Something I will definitely revisit.

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours a pale golden colour with an abundance of foamy white head. Lots of visible carbonation and good head retention.

The smell is dominated by candy sugar and alcohol spiciness. Some citrus base, and a touch of soapy aroma in there as well.

First impression is that this is a sweet and fruity ale, with a notable alcohol finish, though the alcohol waits until the bitter end to show itself. As I drink further, alcohol becomes more and more the defining taste. Fruity citrus flavours up front that can't quite keep up with the alcohol burn of the finish.

The mouthfeel is pretty good, light but not watery, with just a bit of stickiness to it. Well carbonated but not abrasive.

Drinkability suffers from the alcohol burn, but it isn't bad in the end. A decent triple, but I wouldn't call it one of my favorites.

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

This will be my second Trappist Ale, I just wanted something a bit high class for today. Sadly, once again the second I popped the top on this one, it overflowed. Ahh well, I poured in into a Chalice onto the review.

Appearance: As I said, the bottle overflowed when it was opened, so I was in a bit of a rush to pour. A solid thumb of sustaining but not lacing head was the result. The beer's body has very fine carbonation hidden within it's cloudy yellow depths. There is quite a lot of yeast sediment with this one, especially near the bottom of the glass.

Smell: You can very clearly smell the alcohol as it is clearly dominant and is in need of being reigned in. Smells more like a white wine then a beer, as grapes and notes of apricots, orange peel and yeast are in the background.

Taste: Once again, you can clearly notice the high alcohol content, which is hurting this beer for me. Starts with a sweeter, calm sweet malt an fruity taste that builds into somewhat excessively strong crescendo as yeast and sour apples make thier presence know. It is then abruptly silenced by a strong alcohol presence which itself is reigned in somewhat by earthy and herbal hops.

Mouthfeel: Well the aftertaste doesn't linger, which is good. The carbonation, makes it's presence known throughout the beer. However, the high alcohol content isn't masked very well as it offers a bit of a acidic solvent feeling.

Drinkability: I dunno, I can't see wanting more then one of these at a time. The sour and sweet elements don't mesh that well, the high alcohol content doesn't make for good sessioning, and honestly is more of a wine then a beer. That and the high carbonation is causing a bit of belching.

Final Thoughts: I'll be honest, I'm disappointed by this beer. That is probably because I'm not much of a wine drinker, and this beer drinks more like a wine. In this case, I feel that too much effort went into making this beer a "high class" beer and it just isn't doing anything for me. I mean, it's ok and I'd take it if it were offered (although I somehow doubt that would be the case) but I can't in good faith, score it that highly.

Edit: <Whoops, forgot to talk about the appearance>

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%

Okay so I picked up a 750 ml of this one because it happened to be the exact same price as 12 fl oz. Go figure. It pours out nicely. Amber body with a frothy, pillowy white head. Could appear more carbonated, but the head remains thick and tall the entire time I drink this. The smell is earthy and grassy. A little sugary, but not anything for me to complain or boast about too eagerly. The taste is pretty average though. It is not particularly special as far as the style goes. The alcohol shines out a little too much. Overall, it is an earthy, yeasty, grassy flavor. No real deep complexity to talk about. It makes for an average medium mouthfeel. Surprisingly not as alcohol warming as I might expect from the flavor. Drinkability is decent, but because there are so many excellent members of the style available, I can't give it high marks in this category.

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Hazy, light amber or pale gold depending on lighting, full light head, vanishes in just a few minutes, little persistent lacing
S: Sharp, yeast, orange
T: Slightly sweet, astringent, tangy, alcohol, yeasty, orange, herbal
M: Mild bite, medium-bodied, slightly dry finish
O: Significantly more "chemically" than I expect from a Trappist ale. Ok, but with a strange taste.

750mL / $14.99

3.41/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. Served cool.

A-fluffy white head, gold almost roan cloudy body.

S-slight vegetable, yeast, clove spice

T-some cotton candy, slight boozy warmth, coarse hop (medicinal)

M-medium and very fizzy

D-This was a nice beer that I would have again but I have to say it was somewhat coarse. Maybe it was an old bottle or something like that but it certainly was rougher than what I expected.

3.42/5  rDev -20.5%

This beer poured to a quickly forming slowly dissipating white head. Smell is smoky and woody, quite nice actually. Taste is not terrible but rather harsh, as reflected in it's rather high ABV. mouthfeel is equally as harsh, the high ABV is once again. This beer is to be sipped and savored, overall not too bad but at the same time hard to swallow. Not something to be consumed in excess, but something to enjoy every now and again in small quantities.

3.42/5  rDev -20.5%

A: Pours a pale, passionfruit-like yellow with 1 finger of off-white head that doesn't make a point of sticking around long or leaving much lacing in its wake. Sediment seems to be unavoidable, as it was allowed to settle and warm on the counter and still managed to give me a chunky looking beer.

S: Some light fruits make themselves apparent, along with a little bit of an herbal hop presence that I would describe as somewhat musky. The alcohol really comes through on the nose also.

T: Mildly hoppy, some light grains and light fruits make an appearance, but I'm having trouble getting any standout flavors here. Once again, the alcohol seems to take this beer over, ruining any chances it might have had at leaving any kind of lasting impression.

M: The mouth feel is probably the best aspect of this beer, I found it to be somewhat thick and creamy, nice light carbonation, and very very smooth going down. Nice.

D: I'd maybe have another one, but I don't think I'd buy this again. It's drinkable enough, but as Tripels go, you can do much better things with your money.

3.42/5  rDev -20.5%

The aroma is a little sour at first, but soon turns to a milder, Duvel-like aroma of creamy pale malts. The flavor is sweeter and maltier than the other big Trappist tripel, Chimay White. There's a bit of farmhouse funk in the malt, and drop of candy and caramel. It finishes with an obscured hops flavor that's grapefruit-y, but buried under the malt. Overall, I don't think the flavor is that amazing. Yes, it is quite nice, but not my favorite tripel. The carbonation is spot on, but a hint of alcohol detracts from it.

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

portion of large, fresh bottle served in 6 oz glass.

A - slightly cloudy; golden

S - malty; a bit fruity & hoppy

T - sour; a bit dry & spicy; slight bitter/sour aftertaste

D - very drinkable for a high alcohol beer. Should pair well with many cheeses and other foods.

Superb for type, but have a solid preference for Westmalle Dubbel.

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bright yellow gold with a crisp white, billowing head. One of the softest foams I've ever seen, leaving thick lacing down the glass.

Scent is yeasty with a hint a sweetness and alcohol.

Taste is malty and sharp. A little sweetness and alcohol, similar to the smell.

Nice refreshing carbonation yet still smooth.

Complex but drinkable.

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

11.2 oz. bottle into a chimay goblet.

hazy orange with an inch of creamy white foam.

yeast, peach, and some spice in the aroma.

flavor is sweet and fruity, a touch alcoholic. balanced nicely with some bready malts, a clean finish and a slightly sour character. alcohol character hurts the drinkability some.

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

11.2 oz. bottle tried 5 Sep 2007.

Large tight yellowish head. Cloudy golden color. Effervescent. Aroma is kind of salty and earthy, somewhat like dry white wine too. Taste is of green bananas, some butter (sigh...). Some white grapes, ethanol slightly warming. Finish is sharp and somewhat bitter. Medium body.

Was expecting a little more from this, maybe a bad bottle?

3.44/5  rDev -20%

A - Opened and it was a gusher, had been sitting in refrigerator for over a week and was opened like normal. Lost about 3 oz. of beer. Poured with a two finger head, extremely cloudy, with lots of yeast and junk floating in it. Extremely carbonated, most carbonated beer I have ever had.

S - Clean pilsner malt smell, slightly sweet aroma with some phenolic spice.

T - Some residual sweetness, very spicy phenolics, alcohol, with a somewhat tart and harsh finish.

M - Too carbonated, I like a nice carbonated Trippel but this was ridiculous. Light and dry when you can get past the C02 assaulting your mouth.

D - One was more than enough for me.

I can't even describe how disappointed I was in this beer. I was expecting something extraordinary and what I got more like a decent home brew Belgian Strong Ale. I have two more and am hoping that this was just a bad one. I have never had a gusher like this and the over carbonation was just insane. This can't be the same beer everyone loves so much, especially since I really like Belgians!

3.44/5  rDev -20%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz bottle
Pours cloudy orangy/yellow with large chunks of yeast floating about.
I had this bottle sitting undisturbed for three days and poured carefully, yet I still ended up with a lot of yeast.
Head was a decent size but it was short lived.
Aroma was fruity and yeasty and spicy. A little orange peel.
Flavor is spicy, with some floral hop and some citrus zest in the finish.

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Nice haed, dissipates quickly with little lacing.

S: Apricot and esters of banana and citrus fruit.

T: Simlar to above. Grapefruit and saison style almost. Alcoholic.

M: High alcohol makes for dry finish. High carbonation.

O: Good fro this type. Tripels not always my favorite.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle