Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,649 | Hads: 4,187
4.74/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

The beer pours a beautiful and clear gold color. The white head is fairly fluffy and lasting despite having been poured several minutes ago and drunk several times.

I get yeast, Belgian sugars, and a hints of apricot as well as a slight hay smell.

Whoa. A really complex taste that I can only begin to guess what's in it. So far I've found honey, apricots, a bit of toffee, sugar, the yeast, and general sweetness.

Crispy with an odd velvet, fluffiness.

A fine Tripel and one of the best I've had. I might buy another one of these down the road as soon as I finish the other beers in my closet.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Amazing tripel, i wont rehash all the technical jargon here but it ranks as one of my top five ive ever tried, just very smooth easy to drink and a treat for all the senses. Nice light color with a quick to form reasonably long lasting head, one of my top Belgium's for sure and my top tripel

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

A real big off white long lasting head rests above a almost clear particle filled golden honey colored well carbonated beer.

A well balanced nose with a multitude of smells coming through, cloves, banana, grains, yeast, prunes, grapes, and light spices.

Grains are mixed with light fruits and lighter spices to give this beer a well balanced easy to drink taste that isn't weak at the same time.

A medium bodied beer that seems to have a very slight syrupy quality that lends itself to a light dry aftertaste that has quite a bit of a lingering quality.

I could drink quite a few of these, if your buying, a little pricey compared the bulk of the beers around here.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Murky pale orange with great white cream head. Dense bubbles of all sizes and great retention. Very relaxing and yummy brew. Nose is of creamy fruit, nicely spiced, and fresh buttery bread. Smells viscous and thick. The aroma is massaging my brain. Tastes tart at first with various fruits (pear, apple, green grape) and is balanced by the frothy spiced bread and butter. Awesome. I am deciding now, after having this following Unibroue-Trois pistoles that Belgian style is one of my favorites. Mouthfeel is frothy and velvety. A good swirl in the mouth brings out the awesomeness.

I'm getting this again.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

One of the best of the Trappists in my opinion. I love the Westmalle Dubbel well, but the Tripel is my favorite. It pours a medium amber color with a cloudiness that is pleasant. There is a large white head with really long lacing. It is lightly carbonated and has a complex aroma of the yeast, citrus, and maybe banana. The taste is an amazing combination of sweetness and tartness with hints of clove, anise, citrus, figs, raisins, and an hint of hops at the end. There is a definite kick of alcohol but it is ameliorated by the sweetness of the malt.

It is heavy in the mouth for the lightness of the beer and is very clean and refreshing. Despite the alcohol content, I very much wanted another. I revisited this a day later with a similar experience. A great beer.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

This one was received from BBrianBoogie during CanBIF6. Cheers man!

Pale yellow color beer with a nice white head. The beer is veiled and the head looks like a cloud. The head sticks well to the glass. In the nose, its fruity and sugary. Not much yeast here too. Very well balanced... lets dive in! Taste wise, wow! Fruity at the start and then I get some very smooth bitterness if I might say. Very nice beer. Its starts very smooth and then finishes with a very good bitterness that leaves you to want some more. Superb taste... Well balanced, complex, easy drinkability...

The best tripel I've tasted so far.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: straw colored pour spills into a dark hazy gold; thick creamy white head

S: sweet honey and orchard fruits

T: starts sweet but finishes dry; taste some fruity flavors, incredibly fresh-tasting. Gracefully sweet, floral, herbal.

M: medium-full bodied; nicely carbonated; dries elegantly

O: I've never had a true trappist ale before, but have heard much of the vaunted Westverleten. Unable to get one, I asked my distributor to recommend a tripel. When he pointed me to this beer, I had to try it.

I was thrown off at first when I saw there was a plastic cork. But having consumed the beer, I assume that it creates a better seal than a true cork stopper, and this beer really tasted freshly-brewed. I have never tasted a beer in this style as fresh-tasting as this.

I can't imagine a better beer. A good strong Belgian pale ale, bringing a sophistication and freshness that is palpable. This beer was a total surprise, and is instantly on my favorite beer list.

Revisited several times over the two years since initial review. Always fresh, crisp, and balanced, and with a sweetness and bright yeast and hop profile that will please any advocate. Confirmed world-class status each time.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours with a bit of cloudiness and suspended yeast particles, with a glorious, slightly tarnished gold color and perfectly white head that leaves some nice lacing. Aroma of honey and bananas, along with spicy continental hops and raw alcohol. Perfect for the style. On the palate, incomparably smooth, with great complexity. Things start out with juicy bananas and sweet malts, then switch over to increased hop bitterness and a finish that's almost entirely dry. Mouthfeel is rich, with medium thickness at the beginning, then things thin out a bit and introduce a bit of alcoholic burn. This is a classic beer, the best tripel I've come across. Outstanding.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Boozy at the end of every drink. Similar to the Duval but more fruit flavor in there. Not as fruity as the LaFIN duMonde which to me can be overfruity. Crisp drinkability.Very very nice. A new favorite because it takes the best qualities of other similar beers but with more balance. Complex this beer. The aftertaste is very refreshing. Its a pretty beer to look at. Overall this beer is truly awesome.Highly recommend this one.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

11.2 oz bottle served at cellar temp in bottle-specific glassware.

Appearance: Truely a sight to behold, the head is magnifacent and billowy, making a dome of foam above the beer. Tons of carbonation visible, a steady stream rising from the Chimay shield etched in the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Huge musty malts immedietly when the bottle is pryed open. Toffee and carmel, slightly grass. Sweet, with a nice belgien yeast component.

Taste: Very good, rich and full. Yeasty clove, alcohol is strong and adds flavor to the doughy flavor of this beer. Satisfying hop finish. These monks know how to brew a darn good beer.

Drinkability: Fanastic, this makes me want to try the Westmalle Dubbel. A near perfect sipper.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a hazy yellow color with a big white head. In the aroma, dry candy sugar, hints of fruit and a nice yeast presence. In the taste, candy sugar and fruit notes, all mellow and a dryness that rides all the way through. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry hint of fruit. Best representation of style ever.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

A- Pours a deep golden/honey color with lots of sediment. The head is an off white, three fingers thick, and lasts awhile. There is lots of heavy lacing.

S- Spicy, fruity goodness. There is is a lot going on here. Ripe bananas, ripe tropical fruits, lots of spice, pickled ginger, I almost want to say a spiced rum. Very intriguing, sexual.

T- All that spicy, fruity goodness from the nose follows. Spicy with ripe fruits There is a sweet, nutty aftertaste. There is something at the tip of my tongue that I can't explain, I think it's love.

M- Thick and creamy yet a nice dose of carbonation to excite the taste-buds and balance everything out. Effervescent.

D- Its alluring and very well made, but also full of flavor, heavy, and has a high ABV. One bomber a night is enough, but I could have one every night.

F.T.- Ive had this beer several time and it all-ways WOW's me. Im surprised I didn't score this all 5's. I love tripels, and this beer is the reason why!

Bottle dated: 12/08/05
Hazy light orange with humungous white head, good R&L. Goddamn beautiful aroma - bright, shining esters, smooth but very present phenolics. Flavor is long and continously morphing. Is it dry? Is it sweet? Light grainy taste and underlying alcohol carry it along. Feel is nice for such high carbonation. Dangerously drinkable. I usually do not understand triples, but maybe that is because they are usually not done very well. I love this beer and will always try to keep some in the cellar.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

11.2 oz bottle in a chalice glass. Yellow in color, with a thin head of foam, little lacing. The Westmalle Dubbel is one of my favorite brews, so I had very high hopes for this one, and it didn't disappoint. The sweet aroma of fresh fruit is top notch. The taste hits with sweet, ripe banana initially, then rush of earthy spices and herbs that blends in with perfection. The carbonation is excellent and the finish is hoppy but sweet, and very crisp. The alcohol is surprisingly under control for a 9.5% ABV, and it seems to linger a bit in the background. It's an amazingly engineered trippel. It seems that every Trappist-style ale that comes out of Westmalle is liquid gold. A must for any beer aficionado.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

A - Pours a cloudy copper orange with tons of tiny bubbles racing to the top of the glass. A huge rocky white head that was very impressive.
S - Huge apple character at first, sweetness, light spice, malty with only mild hoppy notes.
T - Amazingly well balanced was my first impression, the apple flavor is huge, slight hoppiness, crisp, nice carbonation level. The beer was also very sweet and its taste developed as I drank it. Very complex.
M - Oily and smooth with a nice crisp hoppy finish.
D - Smooth and relaxing this beer tasted great an dI could easily go for plenty more of them.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Wow! What a beer. I must have gotten lucky with the bottle I had because it was fresh. So delicious. So amazing, that I would drink this every day if I could. It poured a murky gold color with a little head that disappeared quickly. Oranges, lemons, grapefruits, honey, and sage were all present in my wiffs. It tasted amazing. A great balance of all of the above with little sage after notes. It's a refreshing beer. A very easy beer to drink for a big guy.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a tiny one finger head. Poured into a wine glass.

The nose has a lot of sugary candy aroma. Some definate fruity notes as well, lemon, orange, as well as apple and pear.

Taste is initially quite sweet and sugary, like toffee or caramel. This is blended with a pronounced sour note. Fruits are sour tasting and the bitterness is held back. Not much alcohol gets through the complexity of the flavour.

Creamy and thick mouthfeel with a medium carbonation works incredibly well here. The creamy mouthfeel is what I noticed right away.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

One of very few reasons to get religion.

I like chewing wood, I sit around the campfire drinking beer, whittling a piece of cedar and drinking beer. When my friends and family have abandoned me for the warmth of the indoors and television or a game of scrabble I sit on the picnic table chewing wood, drinking beer, poking embers and musing. You may not want to know all these little personal things about me, but when a beverage transcends water, malted barley and hops, there is only one context in which it can be described: feeling.

That's right. As I sit in a shitty hotel room passing time I'm consoled by a sense of peace, because this little beer in front of me and I'm draining fast has put me in another place. It's golden hue. It's egg-creamy cap. It's aromas of backwater marsh reeds, anise cookies, sunblock at dusk and perfectly toasted marshmallows. It's spicy alcohol warmth that tastes just like chewing on a cedar shaving while drinking a carbonated pilsener reduction. They may just be monks, but they know a damn thing about spirituality.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

The gold standard in Belgian Tripels. For the money, a 750ml bottle is the best way to introduce yourself to the league of world-class ale. Consequently, it's also a sure bet to find disappointment in a good portion of every tripel you have for the rest of your beer-drinking life. Trying a couple of lower-rated tripels would be a great lead-up to enjoying this one for the first time. It's not the most complex or bold beer on the planet, nor is it particularly exciting, but it's fine-tuned balance and subtle nuances paired with a certain sentimentality makes this my favorite "everyday luxury" beer.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Yellowish-gold color with a hugh fluffy head. Leaves no lacing. The bits of sediment make it look beautiful in the light of the lamp.

S: Sweet honey, spices, vanilla, buttery and floral

T: Honey, vanilla, and a touch of citrus. Becomes gently spicy afterwards and just the lightest hint of alcohol. Not too bitter either.

M: Light body and good carbonation make it easy to sip or take gulps.

Overall, Another successful beer adventure! After analyzing the first few sips, this beer was easy to get lost in and take some big gulps. Alcohol is very well hidden.

4.76/5  rDev +11.5%

bottled on 11-15-2010
best by date of 11-15-2012

served into a duvel tulip

pours a light orange with a a bubbly 2 1/2 finger head.

nose is dominated by citrus some orange and tangerine. some light floral hidden in there as well

fruity at first then the spices come in to settle the sweetfest.

crisp mouthfeel at first that turns creamy later.

if chuck norris peed, this is what it would taste like

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance: The beer pours a hazy golden color with LOTS of carbonation. A 1-inch head forms immediately and is staying put about 10 minutes after the fact. That's impressive head retention. It leaves some nice lacing as it goes down, but don't count on it sticking around.

Smell: It smells of sweetness, light-colored fruit that I cannot put my finger on, and a boozey-smell that reminds me of champagne. I cannot really smell hops, but let's see how it tastes.

Taste: Clove, banana, spices, esters, and a boozy flavor that warms up along with the beer.

Mouthfeel: Bitter hops are almost non-present at the beginning, but you'll experience them around the end of the beer's flavor. Westmalle Tripel ale has the dry, spicy finish that I crave.

Overall: I could have written another 2-3 paragraphs about this beer, but it's so darn tasty that I hit the major points and skipped the nuances. This is a tasty, fine, and EXPENSIVE beer (Think it was $4.50 or $5 for that one bottle) that one might only buy for a special occasion

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Trappist brewery #4 for me. I've delayed drinking this one long enough. Time to drink!

APPEARANCE: Pours into my Trois Pistoles chalice a very hazy golden color. A one finger head forms on top and holds essentially forever. Lacing is present but in small amounts. A glorious picture of a beer.

SMELL: Smells slightly yeasty, a bit pungent, heavy on citrus fruits, and has an almost candy-like sweetness. Apricots begin to come out as does a slight alcohol burn. I think I could keep going and get a million more flavors as it warms, but I want to drink. Suffice to say, this beer smells incredibly complex.

TASTE: A pungent and bitter beginning gives way to a sweetness high on a dry sugariness and flavors of golden raisins and sweet oranges. The sweetness combined with traditional abbey yeast flavors last to the very end and then some. A slight bit of alcoholic heat comes out at the end, but seems to add to the beer's complexity more than detract from it. The sweetness of the beer is a bit high, but this is a taste to behold.

MOUTHFEEL: Slightly below medium bodied with a fine sharp carbonation. Light and smooth.

DRINKABILITY: I'm beginning to understand just how special a beer I'm drinking. And that was before I peeked at the ABV. 9.5%?! Yeah, you can't tell AT ALL. Stunning.

My 4th Trappist experience has proven to be the best yet. And I'm fully convinced that Westmalle Tripel is the tripel to end all tripels.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

appearance- slightly foggy golden color with a two finger head, lots of lacing

smell- an interesting mix of floral and citrus aromas

taste- very good. starts with a modest amount of floral and citrus flavor, next you are reminded of the relatively high alcohol percentage, and then ends with a refreshing finish.

mouthfeel- good carbonation, medium body

drinkability= very drinkable. the taste, mouthfeel, and smell are mild enough to be relatively easy drinking. three may be a good amount

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

This beer poured a dazzling golden yellow with a thin film of white head that was sustained by a field of bubbles.

Smelled of mandarin oranges, coriander, fresh cut roses, spicy yeast and of sweet green grapes.

The flavor contains a smooth, creamy and understated sweet wheat and peach sweetness accompanied by a floral and pungent grapefruit and citrus yeast. The way these two flavors blended effortlessly together to create one potent, yet smooth sensation is beyond my vocabulary. Finishes pleasantly dry and yeasty. When I exhaled after a sip, green grapes became very noticeable.

The mouth feel was light to medium bodied with a medium carbonation.

This is hands down the best triple I’ve ever had. It’s understated flavor and complex blend of flavors makes this a fantastic beer.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle