2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

pDev: 10%

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,205 | Reviews: 1,555 | Show All Ratings:
GreatLeo

British Columbia (Canada)

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Came in a 33cl bottle with best before date 06/2006. I have been hearing nothing but great things about this beer for some time now so I decided to check it out to see what all the hype is all about and now I can definately see! This is a wonderful beer with so many different layers and characteristics to it. Not too bitter in taste considering its strength (9,5%) which doesnt taste like it at all so its very masked indeed. Gave a very nice bittersweet aftertaste though I believe with a little cellaring would do this beer great things (that is if I can keep my hands off of it) Extremely complex triple that totally lives up to the trappist name!!! HIGHLY recommended to all I say!

03-21-2005 23:58:41 | More by GreatLeo
kernalklink

Arizona

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

I would fly to Belgium for a sip out of these monk's goblets. Cloudy light gold pour with a bubbly head- strong notes of grapes, apple esters and malt character on the nose. I couldnt believe the perfect marriage of the malt and alcohol, so smooth and crisp I savored every drop. The cleanest, tastiest beer Ive had the honor of sipping. This tripel will blow your mind.

12-25-2006 16:04:23 | More by kernalklink
cyrenaica

Ontario (Canada)

330 ml bottle
The beer poured a murky gold colour into a chalice glass with a thin white head that dissipated quickly. The aroma was very yeasty, with some malt and cloves. The mouthfeel was medium bodied, and slightly champagne in nature. The flavour was that of yeast, malt, and cloves with a dry finish.

08-22-2007 02:01:25 | More by cyrenaica
Fulkrum78

Tennessee

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

This is one helluva good beer. Pours a cloudy golden out of the bottle and the aroma is dry and malty. Nice creamy white head. Lacing sticks around for a while on the glass. Taste is dry and clean. Malt and hops at the end. Great beer. My favorite style and an excellent exemplar of it.

09-01-2011 06:23:14 | More by Fulkrum78
bubseymour

Maryland

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Appearance - orange murky brew with lots of carbonation through body. 2-3 finger billowy head with excellent retention in fact 2 minutes after pour it grew another finger. It's alive!!!

Smell - Wonderful scents of bready, earthy straw notes. Also picking up some sweet scents and slight bannana scent

Taste - Fabulous complexity and balance. Sweet and malty start and a crisp hop finish. I can't belive this is 9.5% as although its strong in flavor its not boozy at all.

Mouthfeel - Great.

Overall - A nearly perfect beer in my book. Satisfying in every aspect that a beer could be.

11-27-2011 21:26:10 | More by bubseymour
shoop12

Georgia

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Slightly lighter in appearance than most Tripels drank recently with a nice cloudy golden hue and 1 finger white head.

The aroma is very refreshing with a touch of malt but overall hint of yeast and fruitiness.

Taste is out of this world with the sweetness of the malts quickly fading and touches of pear and yeast quickly building with a refreshing, smooth, and crisp finish for a Tripel with 9.5% ABV.

To me, this beer is at the top pf the list for Tripels. It exemplifies the perfect combination of malts, yeasts, and hops.

Truly world class!

12-06-2011 20:19:49 | More by shoop12
JimTeal

Nevada

4.99/5  rDev +16%

What can I say that hasn't already been written? Every superlative applies, deep, complex brisk flavors emit from a wonderfully constructed and world class beer. Yes the Monks have hit it out of the park for 100 years with this one. In the last few days I've sampled Westvleteren XII, Rochefort 10 and just to spoil myself topped the trifecta with Westmalle's tripel. In case you are standing in front of the Belgian offerings at your specialty beer store, hurry up and pick one (or 2) up and get ready to enjoy. The other BA reviews of this beer are so accurate, I thought a little irrational exuberance was called for.

01-14-2013 22:25:41 | More by JimTeal
putnam

A big ooof of cream-colored froth rose over honey/amber liquid, then settled, very slowly, into a lump of shiny solid material. A surge of drawn butter aroma is decorated with serene and subtle fragrances of ginger, muffin and mango. On the palate it is unctuous with flavors of molten, baked apples, butter cream, buttered peaches and pure, detailed, bitter resins.
These Westmalle products are fiercly bitter and dry with an abundance of iron-flavored boiled hops. This precisely balances the wickedly depraved, hedonistic flavors and textures. Are you ready for this?

05-09-2004 19:50:04 | More by putnam
TheDodge

Good. Gravy.

At this point I've got maybe six beers that I'd consider 5's across the board; the creme de la creme, the absolute perfect examples of the breed. They are Aventinus weisenbock, St. Bernardus ABT12 quadruppel, Stone Russian imperial stout, Stone Arrogant Bastard American strong ale, Ipswich Original ale, and now Westmalle Tripel.

This stuff is absolutely absurd. It's got a noticeable sweetness, a broad palette of "fruity" flavors, and a warming alcohol prescence that hides itself and is perceived as a "spicyness". The real difficulty with this particular beer is taking in the breadth of flavors that are available before one has consumed too much of the stuff to be all that perceptive. This might be the central paradox of beer tasting, or at least Belgian beer tasting. Anyway, I can tell you this: I've tried the St. Bernardus Tirpel and the Allagash Reserve Tripel, and this one just absolutely trounces both of them, in my opinion. Amazing stuff!

03-13-2006 01:48:04 | More by TheDodge
rudyarmand

Georgia

I toured Holland and Belgium the past three years and I really had the opportunity to try some of the very best English, Dutch, German and Belgian beers. This past spring I tasted Westmalle Trippel for the first time. In fact, I enjoyed 2-3 bottles every day! I had it first in a little cafe in Amsterdam. My feet were killing me and I had to take a rest. I was waiting for Golem to open at 4:00 PM and had two more hours to go. Anybody who has toured Amsterdam knows that walking around is the coolest thing in the world. You have historic gorgeous canal houses, museums and evn beautiful Dutch women to feast your eyes upon!

Back to the beer.. Westmalle Trippel was unbelievably tasty and refreshing and consistent. I had it at several more bars and in Brugges I bought a couple of bottles at a 7-11 type store to enjoy in my hotel with my friends. I sat outside in a cafe in Leiden and watched the students go by and enjoyed a beautiful day. At 3 euros per bottle at the cafe, and 1.5 euros at the convenience stores it was a downright bargain. There are many other wonderful beers to try and I enjoyed the T'IJ brewery in Amsterdam tremendously, but the best beer for the buck and the most readily available was Westmalle.

Try it on your next trip. Simply OUTSTANDING!!!

08-20-2006 15:37:01 | More by rudyarmand
ZAP

A-Glowing golden colored...perfect fluffy 1/4 head

S-Great aroma....Bubble gum, apples, apricots, some spicy alcohol notes...

T-Great taste....the fruitiness is up front, baked sweet apples, apricots, peaches, some bubblegum, and finally a nice spicy splash of alcohol.

M-Phenomenal...Creamy texture....no harsh alcohol sting....the alcohol adds a perfect element of spiciness...carbonation is spot on.

D-Wow..this lives up to its rep....wish I had about 4 more of these for tonight as this has the "it" quality to it. I want more of this and I want it now...that is the "it" quality. Unfortunately this is the only bottle I have but I can rationalize buying a few more of these despite its lofty price based on its level of brilliance.

06-10-2008 04:47:41 | More by ZAP
TheBishop

Montana

This beer is off the hook, best Tripel hands down.

Poured into Chalice, good head, not thin like I've seen other reviews. Color is straw yellow and murky. Taste is complex and creamy. Alcohol is prevelant but not so much as to make it like cheap malt liquor. Mouthful is unreal, almost too much to describe, almost a shame to swallow. Drinkability I gave a 4.5, only because of high alcohol content, makes this a poor session beer.

Side note, I have been trying to get any trappist beer into this town for about 15 years, finally came through and was worth the wait (even if it set me back a few bucks)

A true representation of Tripel style.

Added note, after further review (drinking) I believe my hit on drinkability is unwarranted. This is the best in the style so there fore give it a 5 across the board. I have not found a better Tripel yet.

09-02-2008 02:28:00 | More by TheBishop
generallee

Presentation: It was poured from an 11.2oz brown bottle into a goblet. A best before date is printed on the back of the bottle.

Appearance: The body has slightly hazy appearance with a bright golden yellow color. Also there is some nice visible carbonation and lots of little bits of floating yeast in the body. On top sits a tall, stiff, white head that has great retention and make lots of slick lacing that coats the glass before slowly sliding down the sides of the glass.

Smell: The nose is full of fruity and funky yeast, sweet malt and fresh wet hay.

Taste/Mouth Feel: There is mild sweetness from the malt and fruity/funky yeast. There are notes of apple, pineapple, golden raisin and lemon zest that are wrapped up in a mild warming alcohol. Hops are very light and the finish gets slightly tart and dry with just a hint of hop bitterness. The body is about medium to full with a smooth rounded feel and the carbonation is in perfect balance to cleanse the palate for the next sip.

Notes: This is one of the finest beers that I have had in my opinion, and worthy of a perfect score as I can't find anything to improve on except for maybe the yeast sediment in the appearance but I like the yeast in Trappist beers.

06-25-2009 23:01:26 | More by generallee
Sunnanek

Sweden

A: The glass is all head at first - fantastic white, thick, creamy head; it reminds me of whipped cream. When it sets (after quite some time) there are lots of head residues on the inside of the glass. This is the best head ever!!! The colour of the beer is golden, and the brew is cloudy.

S: There are so many smells I don't know where to begin: At first the freshness strikes you, but there are also spices (thyme?), fruit, malt and hops. A complex beer with the best smell I've ever sensed?

T: The first thing that hits my mouth is the freshness. And there are also dry hops, spices, malt and fruit (citrus). This flowery beer is very well balanced.

M: Dry, medium full, and a bit viscous.

D: A great beer, one of the best in the world. I can't think of anything they could improve - this is perfection!

07-09-2009 08:06:11 | More by Sunnanek
protias

Wisconsin

Beautiful golden color. This is one you try to pour slowly and still get a lot of head. Even if you let it sit for more than ten minutes, there is still some head remaining. This has the typical taste of other Belgium Abbey Ales, but a little sweeter.

06-04-2010 02:18:12 | More by protias
bohemiandonut

Such high hopes for this one. A difficult *pop* and I know I won't be let down.

A frothy, mountainous head adorns the cloudiest of amber seas. Phenols drape an estery festival of petrified sunfruit, a bacchanalian dream scent, slow-motion ambrosia.

Such nectar hits the tongue like open sky, atavistic myth-sweat, a ribbon of grace invoking chardonnay hallucinations, oaky strength and chilled air. Of course, all the chords are played just right, apple seed and pear skin, but it's that twang of imprecision, that vaulting waveform of microscopic turbulence, which marks this for perfection.

Westmalle here has captured everything transcendent in the Belgian style. My entire spirit is transfixed by what seems to be a beer with never-ending complexity. Could I improve on this? God no.

09-03-2010 05:08:39 | More by bohemiandonut
DPFRD

Arizona

A- Pours a turbid deep yellow to amber with a nice lacey head. Looks beautiful and enticing.

S- What a lovely smell! Fruit esters followed by a little hop spice with a dose of breadiness and tinges of yeast. Little bit of booze in the nose that mixes perfectly with the other aromas. The smell gets more intense as you let this beer warm.

T- A little dry up front, then bready with banana yeast and Belgian-candi undertones, some fruit esters and a hint of hops. A very complex, incredible assemblage that ceases to amaze and just gets better the longer the beer sits.

M- Incredible. Crisp, perfect amount of carbonation, not at all syrupy. Just delightful.

D- This is truly the mother of all tripels, and currently my favorite ale to rock on. It's just done so well. The mix is fantastic, and for being 9.5% it really goes down smooth. The vibe of it is great if you have a few too. Grab a 750ml, a chalice, and sit down and enjoy it all to yourself. This beer just opens up the warmer it gets, so let it chill and you will ride this brew to heaven.

09-14-2010 21:17:11 | More by DPFRD
nickthetick

Maryland

A: like an over ripened orange and hazy, not really cloudy but still opaque. Half to one finger of white head that thins out. Slightly effervescent and leaves small amounts of thin lacing.

S: oranges and dark citrus fruits with a good amout of fruity yeast esters and biscuity malt notes. Its heavy on the malt and yeast but the hops are defiantly present.

T: same dark citrus fruits and still heavy on the malt and yeast. Biscuit is there through the whole taste and it ends with something similar to a granny smith apple taste (I now there is a word for it that starts with a D but I can't remember it). A bit peppery in the after taste that lingers.

MF: it has a medium body and is creamy, its also fairly effervescent. The alcohol isn't at all noticeable and the flavors transfer into one another smoothly. This is a filling beer that could easily double as a small meal!

D: you can almost taste the rarity! Yum! All kidding aside this beer has been brewed to a standard that can not easily be met. There is a special feeling you get when you drink a trappist ale. They are brewed to such prefection that not only are they the tastyest beers in the world they also have a story. This is an easy buy again when I can find it!

12-30-2010 02:09:32 | More by nickthetick
Brianjames16

A- Pours a vibrant two finger frothy off white head. Amber/orange color. Hazy with good carbonation in the glass.

S- Welcoming floral and fruity aromas in the nose. I get some orange peel, citrus, flowery esters and pine. Some breads from the yeast.

T- Taste is precisely balanced with good bitterness and dark fruits. Good warmth in throat from the alcohol.

M- Smooth and silky with good carbonation. Delicious !

D- As far a Belgians go, this is second best for me and would have no problem drinking a few. Drinkabillity is fantastic !

03-07-2011 07:49:55 | More by Brianjames16
timobkg

Poured into a Duvel tulip, the beer was a clear golden color beneath a thick white head.

The aroma was a mix of bananas, cloves, and other spices, with a slightly sweetness.

The taste mirrors the aroma, providing a mix of bananas and spices, slight sweetness, along with the great complexity and depth that comes from the Belgian yeast.

The mouthfeel was effervescent and vibrant, the carbonation feeling playful on my tongue.

Tripels are not my favorite of the Belgian styles, but this beer completely blows me away each and every time I have it. It is the epitome of world class, and the absolute best Tripel I've had.

04-08-2011 13:52:26 | More by timobkg
STKPICR0720

Alabama

I actually had to give all fives. I loved this brew. The carbonation surprised me so yes I sinned and lost some but I have apologized to the beer gods and will carry on. This brew was tart at times but a joy to drink. the alcohol is upfront and lingers but in a good way. This brew is top of the line tripels and the dubbel is awesome also. Fruity aroma, high in carbonation and alcohol but yet a brew that can easily be enjoyed day in and out, hot or cold. Grab one or a few and share. Or just keep them to yourself and tell people how good they are.

05-05-2011 04:54:43 | More by STKPICR0720
grotonmarketguy

Westmalle Tripel: The mother of all Tripels! This is a must try beer. The benchmark example in which all others must be judged against in the style of Tripel. What is a Tripel? It is the name given by Trappiste Monks to a Strong Top fermenting Golden Ale. It earns the name Tripel because it takes three times the amount of ingredients to make in comparison to the simple beers made at the Abbeys. The beer is bottle conditioned with yeast to evolve over time like a Champagne, and it really is very much like Champagne. In the first 6 months the beer will be very fruit forward showing more pear and apple flavors, from 6 months to a year it will show much more of the hop character, and after 1 year those two characters will marry into a perfectly balanced beer. The bottle I am tasting is Seven months old. Westmalle is 9.5% ABV It has an darker blonde to honey-like color and a fluffy white head with a lengthy retention. Aroma is a blend of bright aromatic hops and subtle spicey yeast esters. Amazingly balanced and showing a great hop presence here. Cereal grains and honey support a lovely bitterness that is long but not highly toned. Great interplay of flavors. Not one truly dominates. A truly dry and crisp beer showing perfect structure, body, and a very complex flavor profile. This beer would be a great alternative to Champagne. It has a very similar flavor profile to some grower Champagnes I have tried that tend to have a softer bitterness and focus more on rich fruit and bread dough aromas with biscuity flavors.

07-24-2011 17:37:53 | More by grotonmarketguy
sbrotschul

Wow ... this might be a perfect beer! I wrote some notes down while tasting half of the bottle, and then looked at some of the reviews -- and I think that I am not alone in loving this beer.

I picked this beer up on the recommendation of the woman at a bottle shop in Belgium (store description and location, below). This woman is a saint! What a great recommendation.

Appearance: (5.0) The tulip glass looked amazing with the gold color of the beer and eggshell head from the Triple.

Smell: (5.0) Hints of citrus, a little pepper and some apple. As the beer warmed, the smell became more pronounced.

Taste: (5.0) A good spice came through ... very nice. A small amount of alcohol.

Mothfeel (5.0) Good malt with slight carbination.

Overall (5.0) This must be the gold standard for all Belgian beers.

*** Le Moine Austère ***
Just up the road from us in Beligum, is a wonderful bottle shop called the Austere Monk (I'll review it after BA adds it: Le Moine Austère, Rue Dorez 8, Tournai, Belgium) (a review: http://www.monnuage.fr/point-d-interet/le-moine-austere-a41282). My wife and kids found the shop while touring the Grand Place and visiting the Christmas village. The family was excited to bring me to the store and even sent a few photos of the wall of bottles.

As I looked at the selection, I instantly wished that I knew more about Belgium beers. I understand a little French and shopkeeper was willing to bring to me some of the local beers and the traditional favorites. (Side note: it is *very* helpful to have a wife that speaks and understands French!) She pointed out which beers were still made by monks (down to five, she said), and those breweries which tend to create craft beers. She loves to make gift baskets, filled with beers, glasses and other treats. I can't wait to return!

12-30-2011 00:36:59 | More by sbrotschul
budgood1

pours out a hazed light golden colour. huge snow white meringue like head supported by some very active carbonation. bits of chunky lace. yeasty, spicy and fruity aroma. tart apples and pears in the taste profile, complimented by some hefty sourdough breadiness and peppery alcohol spice. there is even some detectable flowery hoppiness that accentuates the residual malt sweetness. it's all interwoven so perfectly that sublimely balanced may not be a good enough of a desciptor. the body of this trappist tripel is full, lush and decadent. a lively carbonated mouthfeel allows everything to burst forth with vigor. drinkability is off the charts and unexplainable.

all i can say is that overall this is the epitome of the tripel style IMO. about perfect in every aspect and well deserved of the praise, respect and hype it has now and will have in the future. again, i'm not sure why it's taken me so long to review this gem...but..it's been quite awhile since i've given out all 5's, but the time has come. awesome stuff!

01-29-2012 23:43:16 | More by budgood1
acevenom

Louisiana

Poured into a brandy snifter. Pours hazy golden with a three finger length white head. The aroma of white grapes hits the nose as well as apple and citrus. The alcohol hits the nose as well as that of the malt. The taste is spicy and the flavors of hops, yeast, white grape, and malt. The finish is dry and the carbonation is abundant, but it does not take away from the flavor. The body is medium and the alcohol isn't very apparent in the taste. This is a great tripel and an overall excellent beer.

03-06-2012 03:48:02 | More by acevenom