Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,641 | Hads: 4,159
3.18/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Love the full foamy head that this pours, a light yellow color to the beer - looks refreshing. Smells of the classic belgian yeast, get dates and raisens. Taste is strong with the alcohol - lots of yeasty bread feel and taste. a light bitter ending keeps this refreshing, just not my jam (288 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -25.1%

Light Gold. Dry, spicy and very yeasty aroma with scents of sweet fruity pale malts, herbs, bubble gum, lemon, tropical fruits, and noble hops. Strong bubble gum notes continue on towards the flavor profile, especially on the finish, along with notes of cotton candy, lemon and fruit. A nice beer. But there are so many better example of the style. (348 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -24.8%

Pours the same gold color as my wedding band with a thick, creamy, head. Carbonation bubbles explode to the top. Thick lace. Smells bready and fruity with a faint alcohol smell. The front end of the taste is dominated my malty sweetness, then the alcohol kicks your tastebuds ass. All this leaves kind of a mildly hoppy aftertaste that lingers. Feels thick and creamy in the mouth.
It just doesn't seem to hide the alcohol that well to be very drinkable. Maybe my tastebuds aren't ready for the style. Overall, I did enjoy it, but I'm not rushing to try it again. (564 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -24.8%

From my notes 5/28/07 - Pours a one-finger white head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Cloudy, pale amber color. Slight malty nose. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Flavor is balanced to slightly sour. Finish has some alcohol and sourness. Not nearly as good as bottle. On-tap at Summertime Restaurant Scheveningen, NL. €5 ($6.85) for a 330ml glass. (359 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -24.8%

Pours a bright golden yellow color with a three finger white frothy head. Good head retention, waiting and waiting for the head to die down but just doesnt. Great lacing clings all over the glass.

Has the tripel smell to it. Smells of apricots, banana peels, yeast, and lots of spices that i cant figure out.

Reminds me of Duvel. Slight bitter upfront with definite alcohol taste, lots of spices coming in and taste that I just cant figure out. Has like a semi-sweet taste to it also.

Mouthfeel is dry and high on carbonation.

As stoked as I'am to finally try this, since this was on my list to try as soon as I got started in craft. This was a little to dry for me. I'll definitely pick up the "Dubbel" instead of this one though. (737 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle into a Duvel glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow with a generous white head.

S: Lots of grapefruit in the nose with a nice earthiness underlying the citrus. Very inviting aroma with a slight hint of vanilla.

T: Somewhat watery with a lingering lemon rind bitterness. An alcoholic bite builds with subsequent sips. A slight hint of grapefruit with bitterness from noble hops.

M: Slightly on the dry side with a relatively pleasant aftertaste.

D: Very drinkable in spite of the high alcohol content. The flavor is somewhat underwhelming but it goes down quite easily and is remarkably refreshing. It's definitely the kind of beer that would sneak up on you over the course of an evening. (721 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours a hazy orange color with a big white foamy head. Smell is very yeasty and spicey with notes of orange and citrus. Taste is sweet and fruity with lots of spices, citrus, green apples and orange. There's also a quite big alcohol touch which I'm not too found of. Feels unbalanced... I don't know. I have problem with this one, which is a bit weird since the actually aromas and flavours is nice, but maybe it's just a bit too sweet? Or is it the alcohol? Not very drinkable at all, but I'm gonna check it out some other time... I much prefer Chimay White if I want a tripel. (578 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -24.1%

A: This pours a lovely cloudy golden/orange color. A huge foamy head forms and leaves tons of sticky lace down my snifter.
S: A very strong aroma, but I don't find it very appealing. It is fruity with a bit of apricot, but it is also very pungent and funky.
T: Very tart, sweet, and kind of syrupy. Alcohol comes through as the beer warms. This is not the best tasting triple I have ever had.
D: The high alcohol content comes through and makes this hard to drink.

Overall, an average triple. This is not my favorite example of the style, but it is still worth a try. (569 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -24.1%

06/21/06- Purchased at Jackson's Wine and Spirits in Lafayette, CA.

Presentation- 11.2oz bottle. Date strip on the side, but unnothced..although there is a date stamped on the bottle that says Dec 2005. Assuming that this is the best by date as I have had the bottle aging for about two years. Didn't really think much of it as I'm assuming a good tripel should be able to age that long with no ill effects. Poured into my Westmalle chalice.

Appearance- Peachy-orange colored pour. Whoops, a bit to much on the pour as a huge chunk of yeast dropped in my glass and then broke apart into little protien balls and yeast flakes. None to appetizing right now. Head was only a 1/2 inch as first which shrunk to a rim in no time flat. Lacing was very minimal.

Smell- Light alcoholic esters. Lots of spicy goodness. Sweet smelling tropical fruits.

Taste- Sadly I am disappointed. This one is all alcohol. From sip one that's about all I got. An overwhelming taste of alcohol. Made this 9% beer taste like a 15% beer. Also seemed a bit watered down at times. Beneath all that there was a tropical fruity base with some spicyness.

Mouthfeel- Average carbonation...alcohol aftertaste. Your friends will think you are a drunk after drinking this one.

Drinkability- Past it's prime? Not sure. Other people think the same about the alcohol. Maybe just not my cup of tea for a tripel. I still have a bomber of this stashed away within it's best by period. I'll have to bust it out real soon for comparrison. (1,512 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -23.4%

I far preferred the Dubbel to the Tripel, The appearance was cloudy, and a bit uninspiring. The smell was nice but mostly oranges and pears, while the taste was quite nice tasting of oranges and cream, but slightly heavy on the Hops. The mouthfeel and drinkability were definitely below par. (291 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -23.4%

11.2 oz bottle into a Chimay goblet

A: Poured a 1/2" white head that thinned to a coating. Minimal lacing. Deep dark golden body.

S: Spicy aroma. A bit hoppy as well. Alcohol appears as it warms.

T: Not as sweet as expected. Alcohol a bit too present. Complex - spicy w/ coriander, pepper, and more, plus tart fruit and yeast, with a hoppy finish.

M: High carbonation. Medium body, but very dry. Also, a minimal alcohol burn.

D: The alcohol is too pronounced to allow me to drink too many. It's a bit too bitter as well.

I'm not a huge tripel fan, but I do enjoy them. Considering the ratings of this one, I was disappointed. (644 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours nicely with an appetizing golden appearance. Aroma is possibly Saaz with some alcohol, and is good not great.

Taste has too much alcohol for me with not nearly enough sweet to balance. Very dry overall. Yeast character seems funky, though that could be the hops (again Saaz?) what it is is definitely a spicy characteristic that I want to attribute to the yeast. The amount of fruity yeast esters is lacking for the style.

While far from terrible I really don't like the flavor balance of this beer which leans too far towards alcohol. Might be my least favorite triple of the trappist and major abbey brands. Has always seemed overrated to me. (657 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

Bottle dated best by 9-20-07, pours a very hazy light gold color, with a three finger head. Falls quickly into a ring around the glass, leaving almost no lacing. Looks reminicent of a Hefe.

Aroma is full of grain and yeasty esters. Fresh bread is backed by a huge aroma of fresh apples, and a hint of strawberries. No alcohol present here. But also no spice, which I look for in a triple.

Flavor is well balanced, again with a strong apple character, with a bit of banana, and malty sweetness. No spicy yeast seems present here. No alcohol again. Flavorful, but not huge. Mouthfeel is creamy and full, and drinkability is quite good.

Good beer overall, but lacks a lot of the qualities of a triple that I look for. Not bad at all, just not all that great either. (771 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -22.5%

The colour is orange-yellow; the liquid hazy. The high white compact head slowly sinks down to a fine lid, leaving lots of lacing.

The strong smell is yeasty and very sweet. Fruity sour notes of apples and pineapples. I noted some alcohol and a hint of marzipan.

The taste is sweet with notes of nuts and exotic fruits. Some citric-sour bitter hints and a mild yeasty flavour. Complex notes of dough, lime peels, apricots and plums. Some alcohol in the aftertaste, as notes of exotic fruits, dough and bitter herbs.

The carbonation is mild; small bubbles. The liquid is smooth and sticky.

Well... A triple above average. But not much more. (647 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured a light golden hazy color with a white head that left decent lacing. Slight carbonation is also present in the appearance. It had faint hints of hops in the smell, but the aroma was largely made up of malts and yeast. The taste was largely malts and yeast. Very sweet taste. It boasted a thin-medium body with carbonation bubbles jumping across my tounge. No real hints of any alcohol content.

Pretty good. Possible my favorite Trappist Tripel I have had to date. Went down nice and had a highly refreshing finish. (525 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -22%

11.2 oz bottle served at cellar temperature into a St Bernardus goblet. Pours a clear, honey gold with a billowy, ivory head that retains well, and leaves classic Belgian sheet lacing behind. Nice aroma of bananas, cloves, and alcohol. Mouthfeel has fizzy carbonation and hard alcohol bite. Alcohol hits the palate immediately, without any disguise. Not good. Hop and yeasty bitterness dominate the taste. At room temperature, some banana and pear tastes struggle to emerge, but don't really arrive. I found this Tripel difficult to finish, as the taste is all unpleasant bitterness and overwhelming alcohol. Maybe the yeasts got out of whack in this bottle, but it's the first Belgian Tripel I didn't like. Very ho-hum. (720 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -22%

Poured into a Chimay goblet and had to slow down to keep the head contained, it practically jumped out of the glass. Golden yellow, head is white and not all that sticky.
Fruity sweetness along with some earthy notes in the nose. However, I got way too much funkiness and sourness combined with a weird bitterness in the flavor. I know this is a world class beer with tons of history, but this Tripel just isn't for me. I was able to drink the whole thing without a problem, but I don't think I'll be going down this road again. (528 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -22%

A- Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Ommegang chalice. Pours a Golden color, nearly straw. Very light head.

S- Very light nose on this one. Some wheat and malts.

T- Orange and citrus flavors. Also that signature Belgian yeast flavor.

M- Medium carbonation on this one.

D- Not an incredible tripel but very drinkable and tasty. (330 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -22%

Poured a light amber color with a thick white head with lots of lacing. Looks great.

Smelled of bananas, alcohol and slightly grassy with some cloves.

Taste of bananas, cloves, yeast, phenol. Everything was on more of the mild side. Was expected more full flavors from this one. Mouthfeel was a bit thinner that I expected, and I could really taste the alcohol.

Not quite as good as I thought it would be, not sure if this sat out in the light to long. I liked the dubbel more. Still a good beer. (506 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -21.5%

First off, this beer has easily the largest head I"ve ever seen on a beer, big white, fluffy, foam. Good retention, some lacing too. Cloudy, deep gold body with lots of bubbles. I like the aroma, very sweet, but a light sweetness. I hint of floral hops hiding in there too. Can really taste the alcohol in this, a little too much. It has a very dry finish, that actually leaves me thirsty. Doesn't taste as sweet as it smells (425 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -21.3%

Presentation: Poured from an 11.2oz brown bottle into a Duvel chalice. The bottle is short and stubby, with a raised ring of glass aorund the neck. The side of the label has places to motch a date, years and months, but nothing is notched. Imprinted on the back is the date 03/01/08. I assume that is a drink by date.

Appearance: Pours with about 1 inch of almost pure white head. This settles slowly, leaving a ring aorund the glass and a decent skim coating of foam. Lots of lacing. The beer itself is a beautiful honey color and very hazy.

Smell: A subtle sweet smell, citrusy and somewhat syrupy. Definite wheat tang. Slight smell of molasses or brown sugar.

Taste: Alcohol taste is fairly strong, maybe it would settle with some aging. Sweet malt undertones, with a bitter fruit aftertaste, not really pleasant. A slight hint of honey.

Mouthfeel: Average level of carboantion. A great creamy finish.

Drinkability: A little bit disappointed. The appearance is great and the smell is pretty good. The taste however, I found unpleasantly bitter, not a hop bitterness, but an unripe fruit finish. Maybe this would benefit from some aging. Something I will definitely revisit. (1,191 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a pale golden colour with an abundance of foamy white head. Lots of visible carbonation and good head retention.

The smell is dominated by candy sugar and alcohol spiciness. Some citrus base, and a touch of soapy aroma in there as well.

First impression is that this is a sweet and fruity ale, with a notable alcohol finish, though the alcohol waits until the bitter end to show itself. As I drink further, alcohol becomes more and more the defining taste. Fruity citrus flavours up front that can't quite keep up with the alcohol burn of the finish.

The mouthfeel is pretty good, light but not watery, with just a bit of stickiness to it. Well carbonated but not abrasive.

Drinkability suffers from the alcohol burn, but it isn't bad in the end. A decent triple, but I wouldn't call it one of my favorites. (826 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

This will be my second Trappist Ale, I just wanted something a bit high class for today. Sadly, once again the second I popped the top on this one, it overflowed. Ahh well, I poured in into a Chalice onto the review.

Appearance: As I said, the bottle overflowed when it was opened, so I was in a bit of a rush to pour. A solid thumb of sustaining but not lacing head was the result. The beer's body has very fine carbonation hidden within it's cloudy yellow depths. There is quite a lot of yeast sediment with this one, especially near the bottom of the glass.

Smell: You can very clearly smell the alcohol as it is clearly dominant and is in need of being reigned in. Smells more like a white wine then a beer, as grapes and notes of apricots, orange peel and yeast are in the background.

Taste: Once again, you can clearly notice the high alcohol content, which is hurting this beer for me. Starts with a sweeter, calm sweet malt an fruity taste that builds into somewhat excessively strong crescendo as yeast and sour apples make thier presence know. It is then abruptly silenced by a strong alcohol presence which itself is reigned in somewhat by earthy and herbal hops.

Mouthfeel: Well the aftertaste doesn't linger, which is good. The carbonation, makes it's presence known throughout the beer. However, the high alcohol content isn't masked very well as it offers a bit of a acidic solvent feeling.

Drinkability: I dunno, I can't see wanting more then one of these at a time. The sour and sweet elements don't mesh that well, the high alcohol content doesn't make for good sessioning, and honestly is more of a wine then a beer. That and the high carbonation is causing a bit of belching.

Final Thoughts: I'll be honest, I'm disappointed by this beer. That is probably because I'm not much of a wine drinker, and this beer drinks more like a wine. In this case, I feel that too much effort went into making this beer a "high class" beer and it just isn't doing anything for me. I mean, it's ok and I'd take it if it were offered (although I somehow doubt that would be the case) but I can't in good faith, score it that highly.

Edit: <Whoops, forgot to talk about the appearance> (2,200 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

Okay so I picked up a 750 ml of this one because it happened to be the exact same price as 12 fl oz. Go figure. It pours out nicely. Amber body with a frothy, pillowy white head. Could appear more carbonated, but the head remains thick and tall the entire time I drink this. The smell is earthy and grassy. A little sugary, but not anything for me to complain or boast about too eagerly. The taste is pretty average though. It is not particularly special as far as the style goes. The alcohol shines out a little too much. Overall, it is an earthy, yeasty, grassy flavor. No real deep complexity to talk about. It makes for an average medium mouthfeel. Surprisingly not as alcohol warming as I might expect from the flavor. Drinkability is decent, but because there are so many excellent members of the style available, I can't give it high marks in this category. (864 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Hazy, light amber or pale gold depending on lighting, full light head, vanishes in just a few minutes, little persistent lacing
S: Sharp, yeast, orange
T: Slightly sweet, astringent, tangy, alcohol, yeasty, orange, herbal
M: Mild bite, medium-bodied, slightly dry finish
O: Significantly more "chemically" than I expect from a Trappist ale. Ok, but with a strange taste.

750mL / $14.99 (389 characters)

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle