Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,659 | Hads: 4,224
3.41/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. Served cool.

A-fluffy white head, gold almost roan cloudy body.

S-slight vegetable, yeast, clove spice

T-some cotton candy, slight boozy warmth, coarse hop (medicinal)

M-medium and very fizzy

D-This was a nice beer that I would have again but I have to say it was somewhat coarse. Maybe it was an old bottle or something like that but it certainly was rougher than what I expected.

3.42/5  rDev -20.1%

This beer poured to a quickly forming slowly dissipating white head. Smell is smoky and woody, quite nice actually. Taste is not terrible but rather harsh, as reflected in it's rather high ABV. mouthfeel is equally as harsh, the high ABV is once again. This beer is to be sipped and savored, overall not too bad but at the same time hard to swallow. Not something to be consumed in excess, but something to enjoy every now and again in small quantities.

3.42/5  rDev -20.1%

A: Pours a pale, passionfruit-like yellow with 1 finger of off-white head that doesn't make a point of sticking around long or leaving much lacing in its wake. Sediment seems to be unavoidable, as it was allowed to settle and warm on the counter and still managed to give me a chunky looking beer.

S: Some light fruits make themselves apparent, along with a little bit of an herbal hop presence that I would describe as somewhat musky. The alcohol really comes through on the nose also.

T: Mildly hoppy, some light grains and light fruits make an appearance, but I'm having trouble getting any standout flavors here. Once again, the alcohol seems to take this beer over, ruining any chances it might have had at leaving any kind of lasting impression.

M: The mouth feel is probably the best aspect of this beer, I found it to be somewhat thick and creamy, nice light carbonation, and very very smooth going down. Nice.

D: I'd maybe have another one, but I don't think I'd buy this again. It's drinkable enough, but as Tripels go, you can do much better things with your money.

3.42/5  rDev -20.1%

The aroma is a little sour at first, but soon turns to a milder, Duvel-like aroma of creamy pale malts. The flavor is sweeter and maltier than the other big Trappist tripel, Chimay White. There's a bit of farmhouse funk in the malt, and drop of candy and caramel. It finishes with an obscured hops flavor that's grapefruit-y, but buried under the malt. Overall, I don't think the flavor is that amazing. Yes, it is quite nice, but not my favorite tripel. The carbonation is spot on, but a hint of alcohol detracts from it.

3.43/5  rDev -19.9%

portion of large, fresh bottle served in 6 oz glass.

A - slightly cloudy; golden

S - malty; a bit fruity & hoppy

T - sour; a bit dry & spicy; slight bitter/sour aftertaste

D - very drinkable for a high alcohol beer. Should pair well with many cheeses and other foods.

Superb for type, but have a solid preference for Westmalle Dubbel.

3.43/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bright yellow gold with a crisp white, billowing head. One of the softest foams I've ever seen, leaving thick lacing down the glass.

Scent is yeasty with a hint a sweetness and alcohol.

Taste is malty and sharp. A little sweetness and alcohol, similar to the smell.

Nice refreshing carbonation yet still smooth.

Complex but drinkable.

3.43/5  rDev -19.9%

11.2 oz. bottle into a chimay goblet.

hazy orange with an inch of creamy white foam.

yeast, peach, and some spice in the aroma.

flavor is sweet and fruity, a touch alcoholic. balanced nicely with some bready malts, a clean finish and a slightly sour character. alcohol character hurts the drinkability some.

3.43/5  rDev -19.9%

11.2 oz. bottle tried 5 Sep 2007.

Large tight yellowish head. Cloudy golden color. Effervescent. Aroma is kind of salty and earthy, somewhat like dry white wine too. Taste is of green bananas, some butter (sigh...). Some white grapes, ethanol slightly warming. Finish is sharp and somewhat bitter. Medium body.

Was expecting a little more from this, maybe a bad bottle?

3.44/5  rDev -19.6%

A - Opened and it was a gusher, had been sitting in refrigerator for over a week and was opened like normal. Lost about 3 oz. of beer. Poured with a two finger head, extremely cloudy, with lots of yeast and junk floating in it. Extremely carbonated, most carbonated beer I have ever had.

S - Clean pilsner malt smell, slightly sweet aroma with some phenolic spice.

T - Some residual sweetness, very spicy phenolics, alcohol, with a somewhat tart and harsh finish.

M - Too carbonated, I like a nice carbonated Trippel but this was ridiculous. Light and dry when you can get past the C02 assaulting your mouth.

D - One was more than enough for me.

I can't even describe how disappointed I was in this beer. I was expecting something extraordinary and what I got more like a decent home brew Belgian Strong Ale. I have two more and am hoping that this was just a bad one. I have never had a gusher like this and the over carbonation was just insane. This can't be the same beer everyone loves so much, especially since I really like Belgians!

3.44/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz bottle
Pours cloudy orangy/yellow with large chunks of yeast floating about.
I had this bottle sitting undisturbed for three days and poured carefully, yet I still ended up with a lot of yeast.
Head was a decent size but it was short lived.
Aroma was fruity and yeasty and spicy. A little orange peel.
Flavor is spicy, with some floral hop and some citrus zest in the finish.

3.45/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Nice haed, dissipates quickly with little lacing.

S: Apricot and esters of banana and citrus fruit.

T: Simlar to above. Grapefruit and saison style almost. Alcoholic.

M: High alcohol makes for dry finish. High carbonation.

O: Good fro this type. Tripels not always my favorite.

3.45/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A: Hazy, dark golden color and either has a ridiculous amount of head or else I suddenly forgot how to pour a beer. Seriously, I feel like I’ve overloaded the washing machine. Like when you’re a kid and you pour the whole bottle of bubble bath in the tub, that’s what pouring this beer is like.

S: Smells sweet and succulent with apricots, oranges and bready malts, a lot of what I’m used to in a Belgian.

T/M: Has a low amount of carbonation and actually tastes pretty boozy. Tangy orange zest and hints of pineapple shine through; it’s not as prominent with the darker fruits. The alcohol taste is a bit too strong in this one, which makes me wonder if I should have opted for the dubbel this time.

Honestly, I’m still waiting for that one Trappist ale to sweep me off my feet and show me what it’s all about.

3.46/5  rDev -19.2%

Appearance - Beautiful golden color, slightly hazy, very fizzy. Good head retention.

Smell - The nose has a sort of a breezy sweetness, with a subtle spiciness in the background.

Taste - The initial taste is an appley sweetness followed by an alcoholic hotness. I also detect a fruitiness common to many ales. This beer is not as spicy as other tripels I have tried. It is also just not as tasty as other tripels.

Mouthfeel - Solid body, but not thick or overwhelming. A little deceptive, given the 9.5% alcohol.

Drinkability - The alcohol detracts a little from the beer's drinkability, but it is still very good overall.

Comments - Maybe I missed something about this beer, but I do not think it is as great as the rankings appear.

3.47/5  rDev -18.9%

I was excited to try this beer, as I've heard a great deal about the Westmalle brewery. I found this beer to be good, but to be honest found myself making unfavorable comparisons to some other tripels Iike Allagash Tripel Reserve and Tripel Karmeliet due to a very mild flavor and a bit of wateriness in the mouthfeel.

A bottle I picked up from a display at Consumer Beverage in Hales Corners. This beer pours a hazy dark yellow with lots of soft secondary-fermentation produced head. Smells tripel-ish with some clove notes and lots of coriander. Flavor is a bit like a white wine up front, with some spiciness on the back end. Not as full-flavored as other tripels I've enjoyed like Tripel Karmeliet, Allagash, and Victory Golden Monkey. Mouthfeel is quite soft, but a bit thin up-front.

3.48/5  rDev -18.7%

It poured a golden yellow colour, slightly cloudy (though the bulk of the sediment remained in the bottle). Some of the sediment is persistently suspended. The head was voluminous, snow white, and cleared within a few minutes in my goblet leaving a thick lacing.

The aroma is decidedly hoppy. Fresh citrusy smells dominate, with some grassy and honey aromas also present.

While it's in my mouth, the flavour is pleasantly but decidedly bitter all around the back of my tongue, and even onto the back of my palate. There is also a little sweetness. Spicy cloves come through, some bitter orange peel, along with a touch of banana. Yeast is present, and probably stronger than it should be (next time I'll let it settle even longer). Mild malt flavours build over time.

In the mouth, it feels smooth and light, with a pleasant warming effect. Light carbonation and the bitter taste let it feel quite sharp, which really masks the alcohol to devastating effect. Oy.

Overall, I find the bitter aftertaste to dominate a little too heavily, and it detracts from the drinkability quite a bit. I'm nearly finished the bottle, and I swear I've just been chewing on orange peels. Still, there are lots of interesting flavours to ferret out here, and it's enjoyable while I'm drinking it. I'd have it again.

3.49/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours pale amber with a ridiculously large head despite very careful and slow pouring.
Bready yeast dominates the aroma, with some white wine, soft alcohol and sweet clean malt showing underneath. That doughy yeast is way too strong!
Flavours are pretty sweet! Add to that the very noticeable alcohol and you end up with a extremely cloying beer. In the background there's more of that overwhelming yeast and it all ends with a sharp finish that seems to be from the alcohol rather than the bitterness.

Westmalle- Trappist Tripel

Appearance- cloudy golden yellow with a thick creamy white whipped cream head.
Smell- Light banana and sugar.
Mouthfeel- Sweet candy sugar with a mild banana flavor.
Mouthfeel- This is where the beer goes down hill! At first the flavor hits you but quckly it transforms into a bitter alcohol laden taste. It sits in the back of your throat, bleech.

Overall- A good looking smelling and even tasting beer, but the aftertaste is just bleeech!

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from a 330 ml bottle.

Colour is a tone lighter than of honey's, with lots of bubbles.
Smells of fruit, banana and bubblegum.

Tastes good, fruity, with the alcohol present at the end of the sip.

Medium bodied and medium carbonated.

Overall I found it average, I don't get all the praiseful reviews.

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

Aroma of citrus fruit, possibly orange. Nice underlying sweetness in the aroma. Highly caromanted and a pale gold in color with a white head. Candi sugar flavor and some orange on the tongue. Smooth drinking with a medium body. Overall quite pleasant.

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

Westmalle Tripel, 22oz bomber: To celebrate Tom Boonen’s victory in the biggest Belgian sporting event (the Tour of Flanders), I popped the cork on one of Beer Advocate’s most highly rated Tripels, the Westmalle Trappist Tripel. While Tom Boonen’s victory for Belgium was fantastic, the Westmalle Tripel was not. No head developed, the aroma was thin and while the flavor was OK with tones of honey and almonds, there was not the complexity I was expecting from such a highly rated beer. The Westmalle Tripel was caramel in color and very hazy. The last glass from the bottle was near brown in color and thick with particulates. So maybe this bottle came from the bottom of the barrel, and not up to snuff. There were two dates on the label 7/1/2008 and 7/1/2010. I do not know what these dated referred to, but this bottle was purchased on 3/2012 and tasted on 4/2012, so another reason for the lackluster performance may be the age of this bottle. Anyway, I need to call them as I taste them, so the Westmalle will get a low score and one disappointed fan.

3.51/5  rDev -18%

11.2oz bottle poured into a chalice.

Pours a nice light golden color with a big fat fluffy head that dies down a bit. Nose is light, very yeasty and sweet, very light and it has a bit of hoppy.

Mouthfeel is very sharp and very carbonated, it's light and smooth quite tasty. it kind of blows up in your mouth and fills it with flavor. Taste is not nearly as boozy as you'd expect given the abv. overall I'd say it's one of the better trappist beers I've had.

3.51/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A- Dark orange with a bright white head. Nice a frothy, 2 finger head that died to a nice pinky's worth. Very murky and sediment rich. Looks the style.

S- malty, bready, spicey, & earthy. Has the nice Belgian yest strain smell. Also has a dark fruit quality. Slightly juicy as well, like grapefruit. Primarily spicy and malty. Very inviting.

T- Very spicy with an undertone of some kind of herbal quality as well. Has that Belgian funky yeast flavor, but only minimally sour. The sweetness accentuates the yeast character well.

M- Medium to full, but on the medium side. Very dry. Finish is malty and sweet before it dries. Its very spiced at the end.

Overall its a decent beer at best. It's not a Belgian beer I'd rush to the store to buy. It was almost one dimensional in its spiced/ herbal character. I'd like to see a larger yeast quality and more sour notes. But this is a decent beer overall.

3.51/5  rDev -18%

Presentation: Poured from a 330ml Westmalle bottle into a Westmalle chalice glass.

A: This beer pours a beautiful 1 finger head into the very wide-mouthed Westmalle chalice-style glass, and recedes slowly. There is always a layer of carbonation/head on the top which I find to be a good thing. There is minimal lacing if any at all.

S: I can't really get a lot from the smell of this beer, but a slight skunkiness maybe, and some sour/bitter apple comes through as well. I think I would have preferred it in a Duvel glass actually.

T: This beer is extremely peppery. I really compare this to La Fin Du Monde because for me that beer does an excellent job of balancing sweetness and pepperiness, but the Westmalle is way over the top in the pepperiness side. For those looking to drink a less sweet tripel though, this is probably right up your alley. I just didn't prefer it. There was also a light fruity taste that I couldn't put my finger on, but was more in the aftertaste than up front. The pepper just seems to cover everything.

M: This beer is also too carbonated. It is one of the best palate cleansers I have had which is good, but it is just too dry and overcarbonated for my tastes.

D: I have only had this one twice, and each time I am left not wanting another. I enjoyed the first one I had, and respect this beer for what it is but for me I don't ever see myself drinking more than one.

Overall Westmalle tripel is a complete departure from almost every other tripel I have had in that it is extremely dry, very peppery both times I have had it, but drinking through the first bottle is definitely not a chore. I will definitely get this again, but I don't think I would drink more than one in a night. I also would choose several others in the style over the Westmalle. Even if Westmalle was as cheap as some other offerings (which it isn't, it's one of the most expensive tripels out there) I still think I would pick others over it regularly.

Highly recommended as I know some love this beer, but not my favorite.

3.51/5  rDev -18%

A - pours a mellow orange. Has a cloudy, unfiltered look. Nice head retention with noticeable lattice.

S - Boozy and peppery. Small hint of citrus, mostly lemon. Overall a complex bouquet, but not very strong

T - Spicy. We almost tasted vanilla, but very faint. It was juicy, but still a very dry-tasting beer. Not very sweet.

M - High carbonation with a silky feel. Left us salivating between sips. Lots of complexity here. Our favorite part.

3.52/5  rDev -17.8%

This first thing I noticed right away with this one was a monstrous banana smell. There may very well be bananas in this one. A bit of cloves. Cloudy yellow orange in colour. Thin fizzy head than hangs around for a bit. Par for the course with Belgians. You know the drill. As much as it pains me to say so, this stuff really has a bitterness to it that I just totally do not care for. Very disappointed indeed. I have been looking forward to tasting this for quite some time now. The texture, or mouthfeel, is quite nice. Smooth and just heavy enough for the style. Again, I don't know what the hell is going on with the taste, but it seems offensively bitter. I am, however, just now getting over a sickness that has incapacitated me for last four days or so. Perhaps my sense of smell and taste are still a bit impaired. I certainly hope so. I should re-review this in about a week or so. Until then, tonights review stands.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle