Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros

3.04/5  rDev -29.3%

330ml bottle into Chimay goblets.

Appearance- bright gold, finger-and-a-half off white head.

Smell- some funky, musty, farmy yeast aroma is definitely noticeable. Also sweet, sugary, fruity aromas. It isn't a good smell, to be honest, a bit like how a really good cheese can smell really unappetizing. Tuna? Wet hay? I don't know, it smells bad to me. Hopefully the taste will make up for it, like a funky cheese.

Taste- malty, fruity, and dry. Very, very dry. The alcohol ads some bite to the mouthfeel, and some heat to the spice profile. The main flavors are sugar, alcohol, and a hint of fruit and spices. Swallow is clean, with a dry, tart, sweet apple flavor. Aftertaste is surprisingly hoppy.

Mouthfeel- crisp, light, full body, easy on the swallow. All around pretty good.

Drinkability- pretty good.

To be honest, I am a bit let down by this beer. I really enjoyed the Westmalle Dubbel last night, and was looking forward to their triple tonight, but I find it to be a much more simple, less deep and interesting beer, which isn't terrible in and of itself, but it does leave me feeling a bit let down. The bottle says best before 2010, so I don't think that is the issue here.

Upon edit: the more I drink this, the less I like it. After my review, I read some other reviews, I have none of the complex, nice flavors or aromas that other people mention, and frankly, not much positive flavor or aroma at all. To me, this is like a cheap, sparkling white wine. Dry and sweet all at once, with too much of both and no real balance. I would prefer this to a Bud Light or something, but there are any number of good beers I would rather spend my money on than this.

Hate to bash a Trappist, but this is really lacking, IMO.

3.13/5  rDev -27.2%

Boy, I was disappointed in this one. Of course, I had high expectations going in, after reading the reviews here.

First the good news. The mouthfeel is outstanding. A fairly high amount of carbonation, but I like that. Very crisp finish. The appearance is also nice, a light amber with just a touch of cloudiness. A gentle pour generated almost no head, which is also fine with me, because I don't like to wait for a head to subside before I can start drinking.

Now the bad news. The alcohol taste is way too harsh. I know that alcohol can be masked better in 9% ABV Belgians, because Unibroue does it with theirs. No alcohol masking with this beer. To me, it tasted like a Duvel with a shot of Everclear poured into it.

This booziness destroyed the drinkability for me. If I want a boilermaker, I'll order one. Also, drinking just one 330 ml bottle gave me heartburn and a slight hangover, which never happens to me when drinking a similar size bottle of other 9% brews.

3.13/5  rDev -27.2%

Picked up a bottle to give it a try. Pours foamy, with a head that quickly subsides. Aroma is of pears and other fruits. Taste is hard to get a finger on, as it's blow away quickly by the alcohol warmth and aggressive carbonation. Slighty spicy too, and warming. Could use more malt and body to stand up to everything else going on. Seems vinous and thin.

Not bad, but I don't think I'll look for this again.

3.15/5  rDev -26.7%

Pours a very pretty crystal clear gold. The carbonation is good; the beer foams up when poured but settles to a fairly flat, yet rocky head, leaving some lace behind. Sweet malt in the nose, but otherwise smells neutral, no hops or esters. Tastes of soft, sweet, pils malt, a dash of peppery hop spice, a little bit sugary sweetness, then a hot, bitter finish. Rather coarse alcohol burn is unpleasant.

I remember this beer as much more complex than what I'm drinking right now, which seems to have more in common with a strong European lager than a Tripel. It's much too clean, hot and bitter compared to my previous tasting.

My experience with this beer was slightly improved once I poured some of the yeast at the bottom of the bottle into my glass. Adding the yeast sediment seemed to soften up with bitterness and add a little fruity character (I'm thinking apricot and maybe peach) as well as touch of a nutty flavor. Still "hot" in the finish though, which I still don't like.

3.15/5  rDev -26.7%

After drinking my first, and it was a gift, I've got to tell you that this beer is _seriously overrated_

A- clear straw color, white foamy head, great lacing, nice bubbles, looks fabulous.

S - mild

T - mostly just a warming of alcohol, everything else is subtle.

S - not much nose.

M - well, it's not thick or thin, and the carbonation is helpful. So, almost perfect mouthfeel and awesome in looks, but...

D - kinda dull, but drinkable. You could knock them back and get plastered. I'm not that impressed.

3.16/5  rDev -26.5%

11.2oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a bright golden yellow with quite a bit of yeast sediment throughout and an extremely thick, foamy white head.

The aroma is quite estery and boozy.

Taste follows the nose, estery and boozy for the most part with some spicy phenols.

Medium light, fluffy mouthfeel.

A decent beer, though I feel the alcohol and phenol notes are too prominent at times.

3.17/5  rDev -26.3%

Appearance: Pale straw-colored body topped with a profuse, foamy white head.

Smell: The aroma is marked by citrus, green apples tartness, and candy sugar. Slight hints of the alcohol content peek through in the nose.

Taste: All at once, it's sweet, citrusy, and spicy. Very much like a dry white wine. Wraps up with a rather pronounced alcohol finish full of yeasty notes.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body that is slightly watery with a fizzy cabonation.

Drinkability: A rather dispiriting experience. Sadly, this is one of my least favorite of the trappist beers.

3.2/5  rDev -25.6%

Light Gold. Dry, spicy and very yeasty aroma with scents of sweet fruity pale malts, herbs, bubble gum, lemon, tropical fruits, and noble hops. Strong bubble gum notes continue on towards the flavor profile, especially on the finish, along with notes of cotton candy, lemon and fruit. A nice beer. But there are so many better example of the style.

3.21/5  rDev -25.3%

Pours the same gold color as my wedding band with a thick, creamy, head. Carbonation bubbles explode to the top. Thick lace. Smells bready and fruity with a faint alcohol smell. The front end of the taste is dominated my malty sweetness, then the alcohol kicks your tastebuds ass. All this leaves kind of a mildly hoppy aftertaste that lingers. Feels thick and creamy in the mouth.
It just doesn't seem to hide the alcohol that well to be very drinkable. Maybe my tastebuds aren't ready for the style. Overall, I did enjoy it, but I'm not rushing to try it again.

3.21/5  rDev -25.3%

From my notes 5/28/07 - Pours a one-finger white head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Cloudy, pale amber color. Slight malty nose. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Flavor is balanced to slightly sour. Finish has some alcohol and sourness. Not nearly as good as bottle. On-tap at Summertime Restaurant Scheveningen, NL. €5 ($6.85) for a 330ml glass.

3.21/5  rDev -25.3%

Pours a bright golden yellow color with a three finger white frothy head. Good head retention, waiting and waiting for the head to die down but just doesnt. Great lacing clings all over the glass.

Has the tripel smell to it. Smells of apricots, banana peels, yeast, and lots of spices that i cant figure out.

Reminds me of Duvel. Slight bitter upfront with definite alcohol taste, lots of spices coming in and taste that I just cant figure out. Has like a semi-sweet taste to it also.

Mouthfeel is dry and high on carbonation.

As stoked as I'am to finally try this, since this was on my list to try as soon as I got started in craft. This was a little to dry for me. I'll definitely pick up the "Dubbel" instead of this one though.

3.22/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle into a Duvel glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow with a generous white head.

S: Lots of grapefruit in the nose with a nice earthiness underlying the citrus. Very inviting aroma with a slight hint of vanilla.

T: Somewhat watery with a lingering lemon rind bitterness. An alcoholic bite builds with subsequent sips. A slight hint of grapefruit with bitterness from noble hops.

M: Slightly on the dry side with a relatively pleasant aftertaste.

D: Very drinkable in spite of the high alcohol content. The flavor is somewhat underwhelming but it goes down quite easily and is remarkably refreshing. It's definitely the kind of beer that would sneak up on you over the course of an evening.

3.23/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours a hazy orange color with a big white foamy head. Smell is very yeasty and spicey with notes of orange and citrus. Taste is sweet and fruity with lots of spices, citrus, green apples and orange. There's also a quite big alcohol touch which I'm not too found of. Feels unbalanced... I don't know. I have problem with this one, which is a bit weird since the actually aromas and flavours is nice, but maybe it's just a bit too sweet? Or is it the alcohol? Not very drinkable at all, but I'm gonna check it out some other time... I much prefer Chimay White if I want a tripel.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle