Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,630 | Hads: 4,115
3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

Pale golden with some yeast haze and a classic Belgian head which just won't quit. First impression on the nose is pepper, followed by malts and fruits which are different on every sniff. Complex, peppery malt flavours are followed by some warm alcoholic notes. The bitterness is crisp and leaves a dry finish, yet with a full mouthfeel. Yum. (342 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -35.4%

Poured from a bottle into tulip glass-

A- Poured a nice orange/gold with a head on fine white lacing

S- There wasn't much going on at all in the aroma department. I was a bit disappointed.

T- Spices definitely stand out here and are backed by some fusel alcohol notes and a slight burn

M- Had a very bubbly mouthfeel

D- Average drinkability, but I really wasn't too impressed by this one. Probably wouldn't pay for it again. Maybe it was just an off batch. (461 characters)

This beer is off the hook, best Tripel hands down.

Poured into Chalice, good head, not thin like I've seen other reviews. Color is straw yellow and murky. Taste is complex and creamy. Alcohol is prevelant but not so much as to make it like cheap malt liquor. Mouthful is unreal, almost too much to describe, almost a shame to swallow. Drinkability I gave a 4.5, only because of high alcohol content, makes this a poor session beer.

Side note, I have been trying to get any trappist beer into this town for about 15 years, finally came through and was worth the wait (even if it set me back a few bucks)

A true representation of Tripel style.

Added note, after further review (drinking) I believe my hit on drinkability is unwarranted. This is the best in the style so there fore give it a 5 across the board. I have not found a better Tripel yet. (852 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -3.7%

A- poured into my Westmalle Chalice, pours a hazy golden orange, with a THICK white head that remains for the entire glass
S- smells very yeasty and break-like, some light alcohol on the nose
T- has a light alcohol flavor, tastes of fresh cut hair, peppercorns, has a light hop falvor on the end
M- very light and fluffy, slight creaminess, heavily carbonated
D- goes down well, but i can only drink one in an evening (417 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

A: A shade lighter than the gold medal at the olympic games... The head on this is amazing..still 1/4 thick 20 minutes after pouring

S: Smells much like other tripels, zesty malty clean and refreshing.

T: Wow, light but powerful. First taste is almost tart like lemon, zesty type of flavor. Very creamy mouth-feel...Tastes much like other Belgian tripels... What sets this one apart is the citrus type flavor, and it is a bit stronger than other tripels.

Summary: Very good tripel and on par with most others I have tasted. I will for sure be drinking this one again. (571 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Belgian style goblet. Lots of carbonation and the head foams up to about two inches right away and slowly drops back down. Ultimately, there's a think layer of head and some pretty thick lacing left down the side of the glass. Color is a golden, yellow-almost-orange, tone. Very inviting. The smell is almost completely dominated by the Belgian yeast strain that we've all come to admire in Trappist ales. The taste is delicious, with a smooth sweet malty taste. The yeasty smell is consistant in the beer's taste as well with spicy notes of clove throughout. There's a pretty viscous body, but not as full as I would expect from a Triple. Pretty drinkable, overall, but I would say that it fails to compare with other Trappist greats...especially Chimay's Triple. (798 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

I enjoy sitting down and savoring a westmalle every now and then. Its got a wonderful sweet and earthy aroma, nice head retention, and great legs. It has great balance in the mouth , and the high abv doesebnt really come through at all, aside from that initial warm feeling i get when i take my first sip. This is a great beer, sometimes overshadowed by Westy and Rocheforte, but for me never a disappointment (409 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured an awesome golden color. There was not much to the nose, just some yeast that I could pick up. The taste was very light and slightly sweet. It had a bitter finish that lasted quite a while. There was a good creamy mouthfeel that had a good carbonation as well. Overall, really enjoyed this one and would get it again when in the mood for a Belgian. (355 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +15.9%

Pours from the bottle with a huge thick head that sticks around long enough to enjoy. Light golden color, with a vibrant carbonation.

Huge Aroma, funky farm smells, with fruit and yeast that just explode in your nose.

A nice medium mouthfeel with spicy, grainy, tart apple, a mild sweetness and mild bitterness.

Each smell and taste gives you a different experience as it warms up and oxygenates.

This is an amazing beer, controlled flavors that keep on giving, it's a piece of art. Reminds me of the quality and flavor of an aged $100+ bottle of wine. I need more and more then more. So easy to drink, with a 9.5% ABV it can creep up on you quickly. (657 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

(from notes, 3/26/12) Poured from a bottle into a Westmalle Trappist glass.

Happy Birthday to me! Looked up all the beers that they had, and it appeared this one was not to be missed... and it didn't let me down!

A: Pours a beautiful hazy golden straw, with a light foamy head. The massive carbonation level keeps the beer from settling and just gives it a great appearance.

S: Sweet and citrusy, with subtle floral notes. Bananas and belgian yeast also are really prominent. Definitely makes you want to drink it!

T: Wow. All that was there in the smell really stands out in the taste. Malty, floral, honey, citrus... it's really flavorful and interesting. I keep going back for more. Definitely get the yeast, with some grassy notes and grapefruit towards the end. Finishes slightly bitter, but I like that, given the sweetness.

M: Highly carbonated, which I think works well for this beer. With such strong flavors, the high carbonation really keeps them moving and delivers them well. Drinks far to easily for a beer with this ABV!

O: Outstanding. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed the beer. I think the rest of the comments speak for themselves. If you can get your hands on it, do it. (1,206 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Aroma is average with Belgium hops very apparent.

Very smooth start with hints of fruity notes.

Feels good on the tounge with not to much bitterness.

Has a slightly spicy and bitter finish.

Alcohol content well hidden. A good beer for sipping any time of the year. (270 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -44.7%

9.5% ABV
11.2 oz Brown bottle $5.95 State Street
Appearance: Hazy amber honey color
Very tall head sticks around a while
Bubbles coming from glass like champagne, but not strong
Smell: Beery, sweet fruit, a little yeasty
Flavor: foamy, coats the tongue,long lasting bitter aftertaste
Too much bitter for me, like grapefruit pith
Overall: 2/5 Not to my liking at all. It tastes like what I expect a beer to taste like, which is why
I don't like beer. Bitter and sort of bland. (479 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

The gold standard in Belgian Tripels. For the money, a 750ml bottle is the best way to introduce yourself to the league of world-class ale. Consequently, it's also a sure bet to find disappointment in a good portion of every tripel you have for the rest of your beer-drinking life. Trying a couple of lower-rated tripels would be a great lead-up to enjoying this one for the first time. It's not the most complex or bold beer on the planet, nor is it particularly exciting, but it's fine-tuned balance and subtle nuances paired with a certain sentimentality makes this my favorite "everyday luxury" beer. (604 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours nicely with an appetizing golden appearance. Aroma is possibly Saaz with some alcohol, and is good not great.

Taste has too much alcohol for me with not nearly enough sweet to balance. Very dry overall. Yeast character seems funky, though that could be the hops (again Saaz?) what it is is definitely a spicy characteristic that I want to attribute to the yeast. The amount of fruity yeast esters is lacking for the style.

While far from terrible I really don't like the flavor balance of this beer which leans too far towards alcohol. Might be my least favorite triple of the trappist and major abbey brands. Has always seemed overrated to me. (657 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

appearance: urine yellow/golden, with a nice 1 inch fluffy head. great head retention throughout.

smell: flowery, fresh grass, sugary, ripe fruits

mouthfeel: light, silky, with generous carbonation, but balanced well.

taste: hoppy, light sweet refreshing honey/clove, acidic alchohol present but complementary, delicous pear, ripe plum

overall: well balanced, very drinkable. nectar of the gods for sure. these monks are serious about beer. (452 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +15.9%

This beer is truly a delight to drink: poured into an oversized wine glass, given a hard pour this had a sizable head that eventually shrunk to a decently sized layer that retained really well. The bubbles are very small and stuck to the glass. The color was a glowing opaque yellow/golden. The smell had some lemony bite to it, along with some alcohol - there's more to it, I swear, but I just can't pick it out. Same story with the taste - I always find it difficult to specify what fruity flavors I'm picking out with belgian beers - here I taste a bit of lemony-tartness, granny smith apples?, and asian pear. It slip slides around...Also, there is some alcoholic bite to it, along with a balanced hop spicyness! That's why I love belgians, they balance the flavors oh so delicately... The carbonation was a bit weak, but still enjoyable. It was medium bodied and went down easy: the alcohol sneaked up on me. I was telling my friend while I was drinking this that I wish it came in six packs...or even 24 packs! I could have had at least 3 more of these bottles and still loved it. Truly a delight! (1,103 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

The smell is fantastic, as good as it gets. It actually smells like Belgium. There's no way any beer aficionado could sniff this one and not know immediately that it was a glorious Belgian Trappist brew.

The absolute first taste was great but fairly normal and I got a bit concerned, but by the time the gulp hit the back of my throat I could see how goddamn special it is. Nice bite, good warmth. Very alcoholic. In fact, Trappist beers are always going to be quite strong as they were originally crafted to sustain the monks through Lent, acting as "liquid bread." Right up my alley.

I can truly say I have never really tasted a beer like this before. It is unbelievable and glorious. Bottle-fermented it is absurdly creamy, just a little bitter, very fruity with prominent tastes of banana, and a whole lotta hops and malts.

I drank it as slow as possible, savoring ever sip, not wanting it to be over. I was sad when I was through, knowing my next drink would pale in comparison. I'll need to always have this in stock and I look forward to cellaring some.

Yeah, when I retire I'm either going to move to a giant compound in Louisville with my 24-year-old trophy wife where I'll golf all day and drink bourbon, smoke cigars, and eat fatty southern foods drenched in gravies all night or to Belgium where I will renounce my Judaism, eliminate my Atheism, put on a comfy brown hooded robe cinched with a rope and begin peacefully making-and secretly get loaded on, shhh-tasty Westmalle beer all day long.

Simply one of the best beers I've ever had.

Aaron
www.theviceblog.com (1,582 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into a pint glass

A - Slightly cloudy golden-yellow body. Thin white bubbly head with decent retention.

S - Honey and bread.

T - Lots of alcohol and lemon peel, especially on the finish.

M - Intense bite with fierce carbonation on the front followed by a medium alcoholic finish.

O - Had fun drinking this one. Certainly one of the best tripels I've tried. (370 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this beer probably 3-5 times before. I never quite liked it until this sample today. I think I was getting skunked or old bottles in the past. Maybe the yeast was stirred up a bit? They all had this flavor I didn't quite like, a staleness which was a turn off. I couldn't quite understand why people kept calling this tripel one of the best. Today I had a bottle which was fantastic. This is what a tripel should be. Estery and dry, peppery aftertaste. The color is pale gold, nice white head with good retention. Improves as it warms. Not a fan of the initial smell but this too improves as the beer sits for a few minutes. Overall I loved this bottle, now I know what all the hype was about! (702 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -57.1%

I hate to give a beer (especially a Trappist) a bad review but this beer was not very good at all. I had a few sips and then poured the rest of the 750 down the drain. I may have gotten a bad batch but I found this beer to be quite bitter and sour and not what I would expect from a Tripel. (290 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured into a chimay chalice.

appearance- orange yellow color with good carbonation. 3 finger pillowy head. Looks like orange juice.

smell- Banana,oranges,pear, belgium yeast, some bready notes. Dont get ANY alcohol in the smell. Smells how a tripel should smell. Amazing.

taste- Its amazing. I get lots of fruit taste like oranges and pears. I also get a candy type taste like the hearts candys. I get lots of Belgian yeast. Just a faint bit of alcohol. Its warming going down. It also has a bitter finish

mouthfeel- its a medium mouthfeel that has a creamy mouthfeel. Love this beer.

Overall- This is to date my favorite tripel. The la fin du monde comes close though. All i can say about this beer is amazing. (718 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -11.7%

A - It is a pretty golden color, and the head is thick and beautiful white color. It lasted for a long time, and there is thick lacing.

S - This is the most average part of this beer. It smells like any other light yellow beers.

T - It is not the best flavor of any beer, but it is solid. Although it has a high ABV (9.5%) you can hardly taste it. The other flavors are reminiscent of a Duvel. Sweet, light, and a bit of hop.

M/D - It has a nice thick mouthfeel, but it doesn't have any negative after taste.

Bottom Line: This beer is great, but I feel like it is lacking one flavor to make it a legendary beer. I like when a beer has a theme or some unique tastes to it, but these beer leaves me wanting something more in terms of flavor. It has nailed it in terms of appearance, mouthfeel, and drinkability, it just needs a signature flavor. Regardless, it is worth a try.

-Cheers (892 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Nice haed, dissipates quickly with little lacing.

S: Apricot and esters of banana and citrus fruit.

T: Simlar to above. Grapefruit and saison style almost. Alcoholic.

M: High alcohol makes for dry finish. High carbonation.

O: Good fro this type. Tripels not always my favorite. (284 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -4.7%

pours a hazy pale orangey yellow straw type colour. the head is white with a tinge of baige and very rocky/pillowy. Aroma is primarily of hops, not a lot of malt coming through- a slight pale malt aroma maybe. Hops are tangy citrusy spicey.
Slight pale malt character up front that gets overwhelmed quickly by a strong hop bitterness. the beer finishes with a peppery heat and a creamy warming mouthfeel.

This beer is fantastically crafted and a very good beer. I've never been a huge tripel fan. this is one of the best and while I enjoyed it, the rochefort 8 in the fridge is more to my liking. (600 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

What am I supposed to say about a Belgian Trappist Tripel ? That's awesome. Really awesome. Something totally singular, unique. Well, let's try to be technical...

A- Superb. It pours dark gold, but muddy. Great head, dense, that lasts forever.
S- Complexity !
T- Delicious. It goes realy nice and well, complex, but it starts to get goddamned strong in the end. The alcohol reveals itself and the aftertaste is really intense !
M- Great. It fills up your mouth and shows how strong it is !
D- It's not a beer to drink liters. In fact, it's really hard to drink quite much considering the amount of alcohol in it. It's a gourmet beer, not a six pack lousy soapy lager... but it goes really well. It's not a beer for sissies, you really have to be able to handle that !

Really great and unique ! We can say this is one of a kind, for sure. (848 characters)

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle