Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,649 | Hads: 4,187
3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Aroma is average with Belgium hops very apparent.

Very smooth start with hints of fruity notes.

Feels good on the tounge with not to much bitterness.

Has a slightly spicy and bitter finish.

Alcohol content well hidden. A good beer for sipping any time of the year.

2.36/5  rDev -44.7%

9.5% ABV
11.2 oz Brown bottle $5.95 State Street
Appearance: Hazy amber honey color
Very tall head sticks around a while
Bubbles coming from glass like champagne, but not strong
Smell: Beery, sweet fruit, a little yeasty
Flavor: foamy, coats the tongue,long lasting bitter aftertaste
Too much bitter for me, like grapefruit pith
Overall: 2/5 Not to my liking at all. It tastes like what I expect a beer to taste like, which is why
I don't like beer. Bitter and sort of bland.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

The gold standard in Belgian Tripels. For the money, a 750ml bottle is the best way to introduce yourself to the league of world-class ale. Consequently, it's also a sure bet to find disappointment in a good portion of every tripel you have for the rest of your beer-drinking life. Trying a couple of lower-rated tripels would be a great lead-up to enjoying this one for the first time. It's not the most complex or bold beer on the planet, nor is it particularly exciting, but it's fine-tuned balance and subtle nuances paired with a certain sentimentality makes this my favorite "everyday luxury" beer.

3.28/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours nicely with an appetizing golden appearance. Aroma is possibly Saaz with some alcohol, and is good not great.

Taste has too much alcohol for me with not nearly enough sweet to balance. Very dry overall. Yeast character seems funky, though that could be the hops (again Saaz?) what it is is definitely a spicy characteristic that I want to attribute to the yeast. The amount of fruity yeast esters is lacking for the style.

While far from terrible I really don't like the flavor balance of this beer which leans too far towards alcohol. Might be my least favorite triple of the trappist and major abbey brands. Has always seemed overrated to me.

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

appearance: urine yellow/golden, with a nice 1 inch fluffy head. great head retention throughout.

smell: flowery, fresh grass, sugary, ripe fruits

mouthfeel: light, silky, with generous carbonation, but balanced well.

taste: hoppy, light sweet refreshing honey/clove, acidic alchohol present but complementary, delicous pear, ripe plum

overall: well balanced, very drinkable. nectar of the gods for sure. these monks are serious about beer.

4.95/5  rDev +15.9%

This beer is truly a delight to drink: poured into an oversized wine glass, given a hard pour this had a sizable head that eventually shrunk to a decently sized layer that retained really well. The bubbles are very small and stuck to the glass. The color was a glowing opaque yellow/golden. The smell had some lemony bite to it, along with some alcohol - there's more to it, I swear, but I just can't pick it out. Same story with the taste - I always find it difficult to specify what fruity flavors I'm picking out with belgian beers - here I taste a bit of lemony-tartness, granny smith apples?, and asian pear. It slip slides around...Also, there is some alcoholic bite to it, along with a balanced hop spicyness! That's why I love belgians, they balance the flavors oh so delicately... The carbonation was a bit weak, but still enjoyable. It was medium bodied and went down easy: the alcohol sneaked up on me. I was telling my friend while I was drinking this that I wish it came in six packs...or even 24 packs! I could have had at least 3 more of these bottles and still loved it. Truly a delight!

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

The smell is fantastic, as good as it gets. It actually smells like Belgium. There's no way any beer aficionado could sniff this one and not know immediately that it was a glorious Belgian Trappist brew.

The absolute first taste was great but fairly normal and I got a bit concerned, but by the time the gulp hit the back of my throat I could see how goddamn special it is. Nice bite, good warmth. Very alcoholic. In fact, Trappist beers are always going to be quite strong as they were originally crafted to sustain the monks through Lent, acting as "liquid bread." Right up my alley.

I can truly say I have never really tasted a beer like this before. It is unbelievable and glorious. Bottle-fermented it is absurdly creamy, just a little bitter, very fruity with prominent tastes of banana, and a whole lotta hops and malts.

I drank it as slow as possible, savoring ever sip, not wanting it to be over. I was sad when I was through, knowing my next drink would pale in comparison. I'll need to always have this in stock and I look forward to cellaring some.

Yeah, when I retire I'm either going to move to a giant compound in Louisville with my 24-year-old trophy wife where I'll golf all day and drink bourbon, smoke cigars, and eat fatty southern foods drenched in gravies all night or to Belgium where I will renounce my Judaism, eliminate my Atheism, put on a comfy brown hooded robe cinched with a rope and begin peacefully making-and secretly get loaded on, shhh-tasty Westmalle beer all day long.

Simply one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into a pint glass

A - Slightly cloudy golden-yellow body. Thin white bubbly head with decent retention.

S - Honey and bread.

T - Lots of alcohol and lemon peel, especially on the finish.

M - Intense bite with fierce carbonation on the front followed by a medium alcoholic finish.

O - Had fun drinking this one. Certainly one of the best tripels I've tried.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this beer probably 3-5 times before. I never quite liked it until this sample today. I think I was getting skunked or old bottles in the past. Maybe the yeast was stirred up a bit? They all had this flavor I didn't quite like, a staleness which was a turn off. I couldn't quite understand why people kept calling this tripel one of the best. Today I had a bottle which was fantastic. This is what a tripel should be. Estery and dry, peppery aftertaste. The color is pale gold, nice white head with good retention. Improves as it warms. Not a fan of the initial smell but this too improves as the beer sits for a few minutes. Overall I loved this bottle, now I know what all the hype was about!

1.83/5  rDev -57.1%

I hate to give a beer (especially a Trappist) a bad review but this beer was not very good at all. I had a few sips and then poured the rest of the 750 down the drain. I may have gotten a bad batch but I found this beer to be quite bitter and sour and not what I would expect from a Tripel.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured into a chimay chalice.

appearance- orange yellow color with good carbonation. 3 finger pillowy head. Looks like orange juice.

smell- Banana,oranges,pear, belgium yeast, some bready notes. Dont get ANY alcohol in the smell. Smells how a tripel should smell. Amazing.

taste- Its amazing. I get lots of fruit taste like oranges and pears. I also get a candy type taste like the hearts candys. I get lots of Belgian yeast. Just a faint bit of alcohol. Its warming going down. It also has a bitter finish

mouthfeel- its a medium mouthfeel that has a creamy mouthfeel. Love this beer.

Overall- This is to date my favorite tripel. The la fin du monde comes close though. All i can say about this beer is amazing.

3.77/5  rDev -11.7%

A - It is a pretty golden color, and the head is thick and beautiful white color. It lasted for a long time, and there is thick lacing.

S - This is the most average part of this beer. It smells like any other light yellow beers.

T - It is not the best flavor of any beer, but it is solid. Although it has a high ABV (9.5%) you can hardly taste it. The other flavors are reminiscent of a Duvel. Sweet, light, and a bit of hop.

M/D - It has a nice thick mouthfeel, but it doesn't have any negative after taste.

Bottom Line: This beer is great, but I feel like it is lacking one flavor to make it a legendary beer. I like when a beer has a theme or some unique tastes to it, but these beer leaves me wanting something more in terms of flavor. It has nailed it in terms of appearance, mouthfeel, and drinkability, it just needs a signature flavor. Regardless, it is worth a try.

3.45/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Nice haed, dissipates quickly with little lacing.

S: Apricot and esters of banana and citrus fruit.

T: Simlar to above. Grapefruit and saison style almost. Alcoholic.

M: High alcohol makes for dry finish. High carbonation.

O: Good fro this type. Tripels not always my favorite.

4.07/5  rDev -4.7%

pours a hazy pale orangey yellow straw type colour. the head is white with a tinge of baige and very rocky/pillowy. Aroma is primarily of hops, not a lot of malt coming through- a slight pale malt aroma maybe. Hops are tangy citrusy spicey.
Slight pale malt character up front that gets overwhelmed quickly by a strong hop bitterness. the beer finishes with a peppery heat and a creamy warming mouthfeel.

This beer is fantastically crafted and a very good beer. I've never been a huge tripel fan. this is one of the best and while I enjoyed it, the rochefort 8 in the fridge is more to my liking.

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

What am I supposed to say about a Belgian Trappist Tripel ? That's awesome. Really awesome. Something totally singular, unique. Well, let's try to be technical...

A- Superb. It pours dark gold, but muddy. Great head, dense, that lasts forever.
S- Complexity !
T- Delicious. It goes realy nice and well, complex, but it starts to get goddamned strong in the end. The alcohol reveals itself and the aftertaste is really intense !
M- Great. It fills up your mouth and shows how strong it is !
D- It's not a beer to drink liters. In fact, it's really hard to drink quite much considering the amount of alcohol in it. It's a gourmet beer, not a six pack lousy soapy lager... but it goes really well. It's not a beer for sissies, you really have to be able to handle that !

Really great and unique ! We can say this is one of a kind, for sure.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

I bought an 11.2 oz. bottle of this at Bev Max in Stamford Ct. this weekend. I poured it into a tulip glass.

A- It poured a cloudy dark gold with a slight orange glow. It had a huge thick creamy white head that stayed through most of the glass. It also had tons of heavy laceing through out.

S- Ahh, the sweet smell of Belgium triples is a thing of beauty! I first notice that lovely Belgium yeast and sweet candy sugar followed by some light bananas and citrusy hops. I also detect some alcohol in the background.

T- Wonderfull! Like the scent, I first notice yeast and candy sugar with a honey under tone. It also had some spice notes ranging from corriander and clove to white pepper. Next came some fruitiness manily light banana and citrus undertones of orange and light lemons. It also had a pleasent bitter grassy hops and a slight metallic twang. The alcohol was pretty well hidden but came through on the back end with a nice bite.

M- Medium body with a buttery, creamy feel. Lively carbonation that sent little bubbles up from the bottom in large numbers.

D- This is one of my favorite Trappist ales. Its balanced very nice and is a great example of a triple style ale. I could (and have on more than one occasion)knock back 4 or 5 of these at a sitting but be carefull they will sneak up on you! Cheers!

3.89/5  rDev -8.9%

A. Slightly pale hazy (even after the beer settled it seemed there was still suspended sediment) yellow, very little head that dissipated rather quickly.

S. A very upfront alcohol smell, also an acidic citrus smell.

T. First taste had a strong sharpness with a light fruity profile and a light hoppy finish.

M. Crisp, light almost a creamy delicate beer with some body.

D. It was a good beer not extremely drinkable not something you have to force down. I'd personally drink 2 or 3 of these and enjoy every moment.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

33cl trappist bottle.

A: Hazy medium amber. Some head that dissipates before long, leaves a persistent ring.

S: Slightly sweet caramel or butterscotch. Malt give it a thick smell.

T: Moderate bitterness throughout, some kind of fruit like pear with some caramel.

M: Dense and malty, subdued carbonation that unlocks somewhat if you swish it around.

O: My favorite Trappist to date. I favor malty brews and this doesn't disappoint. Enough bitterness to notice without getting in the way of other flavors, a nice clean impression. I could brew a bucket of this and probably will at some point.

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Chill Hazed golden orange. Highly Carbanated

Smell: Light malts with peper and alcohol with a sour note to it.

Taste: Refreshing and crisp. high in alcohol, high in flavor for being this light color.

Mouthfeel: good body. with like a sparkling wine bubblelyness

Drinkablility: Not to many but with its full taste its a sipper.

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Semi transparent value of copper/gold in color. Very tick head of off white and not lacy. Good triple blend of yeast ,candy and bitter citrus like. The triple alcohol is apparent so let it warm a bit before tasting. If you like triples this Belgian will present itself will a an interesting blend with added spice and fruit in the background.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Pungent acidic smell and creamy mouthfeel.

Citrus flavor. Lingering aftertaste.

Almost impossible to pour without tons of head; tons of bubbles.

Very dry in the mouth. Strong, almost overwhelming taste, but stops just short of making making you quit.

This beer is my first Trappist Ale. I normally drink stouts or porters, so it's hard to fairly judge this against them.

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from 330mL Trappistenbier bottle into Chimay goblet. The color is a beautiful golden blonde. Very fine bubbly head. Mild retention and lacing. Clear and sharp. Looks very crisp.
Sour yeasty smell is the first to present itself. Hints of butter, tropical fruit. A bit piney and floral hop odor. Smells like a Belgian.
Bitter, crisp taste. Similar to a high gravity lager. Sweetens as it warms. Hops come through strongly but there is no oily dominance. The alcohol is well hidden. This beer is a precisely crafted ale with the impeccable balance and composition that is the signature of the Trappist monks.
The mouthfeel is similar to champagne except slightly thicker and creamier. Very carbonated. The word "crisp" represents each and every quality of this beer.
This is an extremely refreshing and drinkable brew, despite the alcohol content. However, one too many and you might wake up in some strange places.

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

amazing beer.

A - golden tan with protein and yeast, off white head of fine bubbles that lasts and lasts. lace down the side of the glass.

S- prominent yeast, some earthy and grassy tones.

T- fabulous yeasty flavors, lots of grass and hay, and undertones of vanilla, but not at all sweet.

M - not highly carbonated, nice on the tongue.

D - amazing, I'm glad I can't easily buy this beer or I'd be living under a bridge.

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Pale, hazy yellow-orange color. A big fluffy head like whipped egg-white. Excellent retention and lacing.

S: A light fruity and yeasty aroma - typically belgian. Spiciness of banana and cloves. Slight underlying alcohol smell.

T: Somewhat dry with maltiness and a hop bitterness. A complex taste especially crisp and dry at the finish. Alchohol is apparent.

M: Medium carbonation and very creamy mouthfeel.

D: Alcohol a bit too noticeable for me but still a wonderful quaff. More of a sipping beer to be enjoyed deliberately. Should go nicely with dinner.

4.56/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a tulip. 2 finger foamy head with nice lacing; high retention. Poured a hazy yellow-wheat color with a citrus & yeast aroma. Citrus also predominant in the taste, primarily lemon, with a peppery flavor. Floral notes with clove also present. Crisp, dry mouthfeel with fair amount of carbonation. Overall, this is a fantastic tripel.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle