Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
oskoreien

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a goblet.

The beer pours a golden, straw like, hazy yellow with a big frothy head that last and lasts. The lace just blankets the sides of the glass. A great looking beer.

It has a very strong citrus scent, mainly of lemon, but there's also something very herbal about it as well. Some grassy notes.

The taste is similar to the smell, lots of lemon and herbal flavors, a bit grassy. However, as the beer warms a sweeter flavor is imparted. I get a very smooth honey flavor at the end as it warms up, the flavors really shine at this time.

12-30-2009 06:22:09 | More by oskoreien
digr

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a cloudy dark yellow with a snow white foamy head into a chalice. Head slowly dissipates over about 4 minutes.

S - Smell is that of belgian yeasts, with a hint of fruit and a farmhouse style tinge... yummy, and not too strong. No real hops in the nose.

T - Taste is clean Pilsner, belgian yeast flavors and a very dry finish and hops on the palate. The dyness leaves you looking for the next sip! And this is a Tripel.

M - Mouth feel is good, countered by the dry effect. Normally in a tripel you are left with a coating. Not here.

D - Very drinable despite the 9.5% ABV.

This is a great tripel, and standard for sure. The dryness is amazing considering the high ABV. In some ways very simple, but deceptive in that the flavors are all mixed well with no flaws.

12-28-2009 18:56:10 | More by digr
crhensel

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

(Bottle into trappist glass) Poured a beautiful hazy amber color with a thick creamy head. some sediment in the glass that needed to settle before I dove in. Very slight grassy noted on the nose, but otherwise there was very little that was overwhelming in the aroma, which I found rather refreshing. Medium creamy body danced a little on the tongue, helping to release the flavors of fruit, and slight pepper, ending with a nice hoppy bite at the end. I would recommend taking your time with this one, not only because of the 9.5% ABV, but because the rest helped the flavors develop very well throughout the course of the glass.

12-20-2009 16:35:03 | More by crhensel
pourmeup

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

A- poured into my Westmalle Chalice, pours a hazy golden orange, with a THICK white head that remains for the entire glass
S- smells very yeasty and break-like, some light alcohol on the nose
T- has a light alcohol flavor, tastes of fresh cut hair, peppercorns, has a light hop falvor on the end
M- very light and fluffy, slight creaminess, heavily carbonated
D- goes down well, but i can only drink one in an evening

12-14-2009 04:55:36 | More by pourmeup
randawakes

Alaska

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

pours thick foamy head, golden color, brown sediment evident. Peach, spice, apricot pepper, frothy cream, sweet tones. Full bodied beer, filling. Faint banana aftertaste, aroma is very pleasant. For the fulfillment, taste is not 100% there, could use more punch of 1 flavor

12-12-2009 23:24:42 | More by randawakes
AlexMunse

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

I'm pouring at 63 degrees into an 11oz snifter.

It pours with a hazy light amber/golden color with a thick head that sticks around for a while. Very little lacing. It reminds me of other Trappist products I've seen before, mostly Chimay.

It's smell is very nice, very subtle. It's a bit sour, but citrus sour. Lemons maybe. I can smell the alcohol for sure (9.5%), but it's not overpowering, I can still smell the beer itself.

I haven't had many trippels, but I think this is about the same as the ones I've had before. The initial taste is very light, but still very hard to get past the alcohol. It's very complex, hard to really get a feel for everything that's going on in this beer. For me, that's not a bad thing, it just makes me want to drink more so I can taste it all! The finish is slightly bitter, maybe a little citrus sour. I've come to recognize this as a "Belgian Ale" thing. The finish kind of catches in the back of your throat and gives for an interesting aftertaste.

I like the amount of carbonation, it seems to compliment the bitter finish. It's not thick, but not thin, I think this has a very nice mouthfeel. As for drinkability, I'll say I'm not going to shy away from this beer, but I doubt I'll buy a case anytime soon. It's got good characteristics, but it's just not something I would drink every day.

12-10-2009 02:36:26 | More by AlexMunse
dangruver

Tennessee

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Been waiting for this one, another step on my journey to try all of the trappist beers.

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle, into my tulip glass. Purchased from frugal mcdoogles, in nashville Tn.

(A) Pours golden and hazy with a massive head that retains for a long time.

(S) has a very hoppy smell, very inviting.

(T) taste almost the same way it smells. bitterness is high and with alot of hop character. however the beer is very well balanced.

(M) a very thick full beer, almost a meal in itself, very filling.

(D) extremely drinkable, this would be a great beer to drink every day. gonna have to get to mcdoogles and get some more.

12-10-2009 00:02:09 | More by dangruver
TheFightfan1

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

My wife and I took a trip up to Joe Canal's and do I need to say a new place to find great beer.

Poured into my snifter. Color is honey with a little sediment in the bottom of the glass. Very thick creamy heading that slowly turns to a soapy heading. Towards the end goes a little flat. Left some great lacing until again the end.

Smell was very dominant as soon as I opened the bottle. Gently decanted but still got the floaters. Lemon pepper is the main culpritt. Slight herbal notes and a nice sweet aroma to this.

Taste is well what can I say Amazing. Again slight lemon and pepper same as the nose. Then enters the warming alcohol with a sweet candy sugar kiss then warms the belly and the soul. The slightest bit of hoppiness just for the kill.

Mouth is full bodied,smooth but very bubbley all the way down to the belly (BURP) Mouth even numbs up a bit to the dominate sweetness and pepper.

Drink is great. I've tasted a few Tripels but nothing has compared to this bad boy yet simply awesome.

12-06-2009 19:29:23 | More by TheFightfan1
mudbug

Oregon

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a hazy yellow with a big fluffy head that sticks around to the bottom
Aroma of lemons, slight wet hay , fresh sea breeze
Taste, WOW Lots going on here, Citrusy up front sweet light maltiness with a nice bitter finish lots of fine carbonation sets off the bomb on the tongue.
A very good beer Bravo!

12-03-2009 00:54:47 | More by mudbug
ludachris

Ontario (Canada)

Found this in my basement at the perfect time, with my beer fridge badly lacking.

Bottle to Snifter

Pours a hazy apricot orange with a one finger, creamy white head. Solid retention and decent lacing.

Refreshing smell of sour grapes, orange peel, lemon zest, pepper, phenols, musty yeast and alcohol.

Phenols, orange, and lemon peel upfront, which help cut the strong yeasty presence that follows. Sour aspects of apple and grape are also detectible, finishing off with a soft and warming alchol presence.

Medium bodied, smooth and crisp. Refreshing, but I'd consider this one a sipper.

A nice, complex, and refreshing tripel. Everything was good, but nothing seemed to really stand out and make it excellent. The 9.5 ABV was decently hidden but could have been more so. If the alcohol was a bit more tamed in the taste, I would have given it a higher score in both taste and drinkability.

11-30-2009 22:00:47 | More by ludachris
noslenwerd

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

A: A shade lighter than the gold medal at the olympic games... The head on this is amazing..still 1/4 thick 20 minutes after pouring

S: Smells much like other tripels, zesty malty clean and refreshing.

T: Wow, light but powerful. First taste is almost tart like lemon, zesty type of flavor. Very creamy mouth-feel...Tastes much like other Belgian tripels... What sets this one apart is the citrus type flavor, and it is a bit stronger than other tripels.

Summary: Very good tripel and on par with most others I have tasted. I will for sure be drinking this one again.

11-28-2009 01:17:10 | More by noslenwerd
Westsidebuddha

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Bought at 7-11 in Highland Park, Calif.

Poured a golden color with a decent head. Smell is a bit fruity with a strong alcohol permeating in the glass. The taste is a nice tripel flavor that isn't as strong as the smell I was expecting. Nice mouthfeel throughout with a mellow backend. Very good drinkability as the beer doesn't overwhelm the taste buds and the taste is very good. One of many favorites of tripels I enjoy drinking.

11-27-2009 05:16:08 | More by Westsidebuddha
CrazyDavros

Australia

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours pale amber with a ridiculously large head despite very careful and slow pouring.
Bready yeast dominates the aroma, with some white wine, soft alcohol and sweet clean malt showing underneath. That doughy yeast is way too strong!
Flavours are pretty sweet! Add to that the very noticeable alcohol and you end up with a extremely cloying beer. In the background there's more of that overwhelming yeast and it all ends with a sharp finish that seems to be from the alcohol rather than the bitterness.

11-26-2009 09:44:21 | More by CrazyDavros
Grunewald

British Columbia (Canada)

2.53/5  rDev -41.2%

A - poured from a 330ml bottle into a tulip glass. It's cloudy amber with a big head and has lots of visible silt particles floating about.

S - strong estery malt with a robust alcohol presence

T - sweet malt with light fruit tones, then a very strong peppery alcohol flavor and a medicinal funk to finish

M - medium-low carbonation, medium body. When the peppery alcohol flavor hits there is a feeling of scouring or medicinal cleaning (somewhat similar to astringency but different). There is a potent throat warming feeling as well.

D - the medicinal alcohol flavors and antiseptic mouthfeel are too crazy in this brew, it looks great in the glass though

11-23-2009 08:25:40 | More by Grunewald
chickenm

British Columbia (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a cloudy golden yellow color with a huge frothy head. Strong yeasty, fruity aroma with some citrus and cloves. Really nice. Taste is similar to the smell, with apple flavors and a bit of light hops. Well carbonated, and has a fairly dry finish. It's maybe a bit on the alcoholic side for my taste. Overall it's one of the better tripels.

11-22-2009 02:33:35 | More by chickenm
TheHammer

Ontario (Canada)

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

This will be my second Trappist Ale, I just wanted something a bit high class for today. Sadly, once again the second I popped the top on this one, it overflowed. Ahh well, I poured in into a Chalice onto the review.

Appearance: As I said, the bottle overflowed when it was opened, so I was in a bit of a rush to pour. A solid thumb of sustaining but not lacing head was the result. The beer's body has very fine carbonation hidden within it's cloudy yellow depths. There is quite a lot of yeast sediment with this one, especially near the bottom of the glass.

Smell: You can very clearly smell the alcohol as it is clearly dominant and is in need of being reigned in. Smells more like a white wine then a beer, as grapes and notes of apricots, orange peel and yeast are in the background.

Taste: Once again, you can clearly notice the high alcohol content, which is hurting this beer for me. Starts with a sweeter, calm sweet malt an fruity taste that builds into somewhat excessively strong crescendo as yeast and sour apples make thier presence know. It is then abruptly silenced by a strong alcohol presence which itself is reigned in somewhat by earthy and herbal hops.

Mouthfeel: Well the aftertaste doesn't linger, which is good. The carbonation, makes it's presence known throughout the beer. However, the high alcohol content isn't masked very well as it offers a bit of a acidic solvent feeling.

Drinkability: I dunno, I can't see wanting more then one of these at a time. The sour and sweet elements don't mesh that well, the high alcohol content doesn't make for good sessioning, and honestly is more of a wine then a beer. That and the high carbonation is causing a bit of belching.

Final Thoughts: I'll be honest, I'm disappointed by this beer. That is probably because I'm not much of a wine drinker, and this beer drinks more like a wine. In this case, I feel that too much effort went into making this beer a "high class" beer and it just isn't doing anything for me. I mean, it's ok and I'd take it if it were offered (although I somehow doubt that would be the case) but I can't in good faith, score it that highly.

Edit: <Whoops, forgot to talk about the appearance>

11-22-2009 01:33:01 | More by TheHammer
wahhmaster

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle into an Orval-branded chalice (yeah, I know, Westmalle in an Orval is a high sin).

Appearance: Pours a hazy light brown color (reminiscent of apple juice). Has a small white head that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing.

Smell: Has a strong smell of apples and grapes. Like a lot of Belgians, this one has a kind of wine-y flavor.

Taste: Has a wine-like flavor with some noticeable alcohol flavor. Also has hints of apples and some sweet malts.

Mouthfeel: Deliciously smooth with a nice, crisp finish. The high alcohol content gives it a nice warmth as well.

Drinkability: Damn good, like most Trappist beers. Not my favorite but still damn good.

11-18-2009 22:27:11 | More by wahhmaster
Airedoggie

Wisconsin

A: Pale, hazy yellow-orange color. A big fluffy head like whipped egg-white. Excellent retention and lacing.

S: A light fruity and yeasty aroma - typically belgian. Spiciness of banana and cloves. Slight underlying alcohol smell.

T: Somewhat dry with maltiness and a hop bitterness. A complex taste especially crisp and dry at the finish. Alchohol is apparent.

M: Medium carbonation and very creamy mouthfeel.

D: Alcohol a bit too noticeable for me but still a wonderful quaff. More of a sipping beer to be enjoyed deliberately. Should go nicely with dinner.

11-18-2009 18:47:49 | More by Airedoggie
gfreed

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Had at Mokafe, Brussels. For a tripel, it's rather light in color: a cloudy, peachy-lemony color, denser in the middle than on the edges. There are light streams of bubbles, too. Head is bright white, with small bubbles and a dense texture. Aroma is a bit sour, definitely loaded with oranges and yeast. Body is noticeably thick, and the taste is dominated by oranges. I was surprised; I expected something less fruity and more bready. ABV is well hidden, as this does not have any traces of heavy alcohol. This was very good but I've had other tripels that I've enjoyed more.

11-17-2009 20:13:29 | More by gfreed
heissebier

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Came in a 750 mL corked bottle with a two dates stamped on the back: 11/02/09 and 11/02/11. Very confusing because I bought until my roommate suggested the dates were printed euro-style. After wrestling with the cork for some time, we were ready start drinking.

Appearance- A beautiful, cloudy light orange, almost but not quite amber hue. A small white head dissipates fairly quickly but leaves a lot lacing. The bubbles making up the head vary in size quite considerably, but for the most part are very small.

Smell- Complex and incredibly rich, very wine like. The smell is dominated by malt, with highlights of pepper, citrus, and banana. The alcohol is somewhat present, but in a classy, refined way.

Taste- Wow. This was my first tripel and it tasted absolutely nothing like I expected. Completely blew my mind (and palate). An incredibly complex flavor that comes at you in waves. The main taste is a spicy, peppery alcohol with a mix of complementing flavors that I find hard to describe. Kind of fruity with some mellow hop bitterness. Leaves a taste in your mouth reminiscent of homemade yeasty bread.

Mouthfeel- Very, very smooth with a subtle carbonation that complements the taste very well. Not too light or heavy but very warming. I could see myself sitting in a castle and drinking it.

Drinkability- Fantastic! One of my favorite beers to date. Hard to set down. A little too on the alcoholic side, though. Leaves a warm, happy feeling inside of you.

11-17-2009 01:37:28 | More by heissebier
Whiteweasel

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a chalice. On the bottle: 11-2-09 and 11-2-11, which I believe to be the "born on date" and the "best by date" which means this must be very fresh, only 2 weeks old (unless I'm mixing up the American and European date conventions). A big thank you to my roommate Heissebier for providing tonight

Appearance: Looks beautiful. A pale golden colour and is rather hazy. Head is white an consists of large-ish bubbles. Head is moderate but disappates very quickly and leaves little on the surface of the ber. However lacing is very prevalent.

Smell: Smells glorious. Most prominently like wheat, and belgian yeast. However very strong notes of banana, grapes, citrus and tropical fruits. A little bit peppery and smells sweet. Spicy with a little clove. Smells like a sweet white wine right out of the bottle.

Taste: Wow just when I thought I'd tasted everything, this comes along. So complex and new. Where to begin? Biggest surprise was the peppery flavour which dominates. Requesite wheat taste, but with something else in there too that I can't even begin to describe. Something hoppy or bittering and spicy in there. Banana flavour but clove is more apparent than the fruitiness. Very distinctive but hard to describe taste. I think there's some trace of nutmeg

Mouthfeel: Feels great in your mouth. Its not effervescent which is a nice change from the La Fin Du Monde, but is very smooth. Boozy warmth is very evident and contributes both to the taste and mouthfeel. It melts in your mouth

Drinkability: Reasonably drinkable but probably hard to drink a ton of. Not exactly a session beer for more reasons than purely its high ABV but its very tasty nonetheless and I would be happy to have an entire bottle by myself methinks.

A fantastic beer that I would be pleased to have on a regular basis. The best Tripel I've had as of yet. Westmalle represents the style very well. Prost!

11-17-2009 01:31:29 | More by Whiteweasel
ultrasupergenius

United Kingdom (England)

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

This is simply stated one of my favorite beers.

It is not big and bold in flavor, but mellow and fully rounded. It has a gorgeous golden hue that is not entirely clear, and yet just shy of hazy in my opinion. The overall appearance of this beer is further enhanced by one of the best stemmed glasses I have seen (as with other Belgian Beers, Westmalle has its own glass, which in this case is a stemmed glass with cut optics and a classic looking Westmalle label).

This beer must be treated with respect - both out of heritage (a beer tradition going back to 1834, and this tripel coming about in 1934), and out of respect for its strength. At 9.5%, this is a beer best enjoyed contemplatively and in moderation.

In my opinion, one of the best Belgian Trappist beers, and one of the best Strong Pale Ale's in the world - truly a world class beer.

I highly recommend this beer, and two of its glasses have proudly become a part of my glass collection.

11-10-2009 13:32:29 | More by ultrasupergenius
PapaEugene

Netherlands

Since my introduction to the Karmeliet Tripel I had to adjust my opinion about tripels. I remembering tasting this Westmalle some 10 years ago and not finishing the bottle. A new chance since my sister gave it to me as a present.

A: A golden yellow color with a huge fluffy white head.

S: Light malts, grapefruit, peach, candi sugar and floral hops.

T: Like the smell suggests. There's a slight metallic tinit to it but not disturbing. A little bitter in the aftertaste.

M: Medium carbonation and body.

D: Well, I guess it's official.... I like tripels as a style. This one is good for sure.

11-09-2009 10:47:19 | More by PapaEugene
madtrixter787

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Serving: 11.2 oz. bottle from local Wegmans.

Appearance: Poured into tulip glass that brought out an enormous head. Gives way to nice lace around edge and a pale yellow body.

Smell: Nice mixture of fruit and yeast, while the alcohol gives your nose an awakening.

Taste: At first, seems nice but not too much, but as you drink down the glass, this beer really comes around on you. Very nice subtle complexities that make this a wonderful beer.

Mouthfeel: Good amount of carbonation, but not as much as I was expecting.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, but remember the abv at 9.5%. Overall I had a very enjoyable experience with this beer.

11-09-2009 04:11:40 | More by madtrixter787
twiggamortis420

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

750 mL bottle has a best by date of 06/11/10. Pours a cloudy dark gold color with a fluffy white head. Displays average retention and some lacing, pretty spot-on appearance for a tripel.

Nose is filled with tropical fruits...mangoes, papaya and maybe even a hint of banana. Fruitcake-like yeasty breadiness and a decent amount of cheesy hops (saaz perhaps?) and alcohol. Great nose on this beer.

Taste is grainy maltiness with a light fruit yeasty profile (think pears and other light fruit) and a rather unique, earthy feel to it. Alcohol and a decent dose of hoppy bitterness provides a nice drying effect. Mouthfeel is just short of medium. This is a very nice rendition of the style, probably not my favorite, but there is alot to like and great balance here.

11-05-2009 01:07:43 | More by twiggamortis420