Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
snaotheus

Washington

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Fine (as in not coarse) carbonation, apple cider yellow in color. Almost no head, no lacing.

Smells fairly plain, a little hint of fruit, mostly yeasty.

No bitterness or hoppiness, strong clove flavor, lagerish flavor in the background. Not very sweet at all for the tripels I've tried. Surprisingly strong lager aftertaste.

Feels light or effervescent -- the fine and steady carbonation is very noticeable. Not thick or sticky.

Pretty drinkable -- it's like a supreme light beer.

I'm pretty surprised -- maybe I'm too used to American tripel-styles, but I'm not a huge fan of this beer. The lager flavor is not very flattering.

03-29-2009 05:43:46 | More by snaotheus
jsapunor

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Your search for the perfect Tripel could end right here.
It pours a beautiful opaque gold into the chalice and has layer upon layer of complexity in the aroma. This is nice but the taste is magnificent. Smooth, spicy, multi-layered, smooth, complex and did I mention smooth? Lots of fruits as well. The mouthfeel is silky with just the right amount of carbonation. This is so smooth and wonderful that you will be tempted to drink more than the ABV would allow.
Try one of these and a La Fin du Monde in a blind tasting. You can't lose.

03-29-2009 04:56:34 | More by jsapunor
amneziak

Missouri

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Appearance: The Westmalle Tripel pours a slightly hazy golden color - very similar to what you'd see from a wheat beer. As with most of the other Trappist beers, this comes with about three to four solid fingers of light head with minimal lacing that disappears pretty quickly. You can tell this has a lot of effervescence by the onslaught of small bubbles swimming swiftly to the top of the glass.

Smell: Just as I had imagined, there is a lot of spice going on in the glass. There is an immediate blast of beautiful honeycomb that hits you first, and then it is quickly followed by banana and clove components on the back end. For me, the real joy comes out of feeling like I've just stuck my nose in the middle of a fresh honeycomb. On top of what is immediately noticeable, there is a very faint amount of funk that sits way in the back of the nose. This becomes more evident as the beer begins to warm.

Taste: I guess one of the best things a beer can do is taste like it smells, and this certainly does just that. Surprisingly enough the honeycomb component I get on the nose translates into the taste very well. I also taste the yeast along with the banana and cloves. In terms of the alcohol, I don't taste it as much as I thought I would but I certainly feel it about halfway through the bottle. And it's a small bottle.

Mouthfeel: Overall this is an extremely well-balanced beer in the mouth. Because of the style, the Westmalle has a lot of bite due to the sparkling qualities and the enormous amount of head. There is a perfect amount of bitterness, too, which is paired with a vigorous amount of acidity. Normally a beer like this would lean more toward the lighter side, but this one is easily approaching medium body.

Overall: Let's be honest, this isn't a mind-melting beer. However, it is classic in just about every way. I really love the honeycomb component the most and really like the way this baby smells. I am also a really big fan of the bitterness levels that I get from the Westmalle. It's not as unique as the Orval (which is still my favorite Trappist ale), but it is definitely a staple and quite enjoyable. It's proof that consistency is a very good thing.

03-28-2009 13:34:17 | More by amneziak
JBogan

Nevada

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured a hazy peach color with a one finger white crown which left minimal lacing.

Smelled of yeast and pear and a hint of banana. No real sign of the alcohol.

Taste was also along the same lines as the aroma. Had a bit of mustiness to it as well.

Mouthfeel was nice. Smooth and with a good tingle on the tongue.

This is a nice tripel, although the taste just wasn't quite up there with my favorites of this style. Perhaps a little too much on the musty side. I would have liked a bit more bite to it.

03-27-2009 23:48:59 | More by JBogan
siradmiralnelson

Iowa

Poured from 750 ml bottle into goblet.

A- Bright golden color. Massive head. Head does not stick to inside of glass.

S- Smells different than most Tripels. Slight alcohol scent.

T- Taste is dry with nice finish. Rather bland compared to others of the style.

M- Light and clean.

D- Definitely very drinkable.

Overall there are several others in the style that I prefer to the Westmalle Tripel.

03-26-2009 23:02:23 | More by siradmiralnelson
joshuadlight

3.28/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured into a Chimay goblet and had to slow down to keep the head contained, it practically jumped out of the glass. Golden yellow, head is white and not all that sticky.
Fruity sweetness along with some earthy notes in the nose. However, I got way too much funkiness and sourness combined with a weird bitterness in the flavor. I know this is a world class beer with tons of history, but this Tripel just isn't for me. I was able to drink the whole thing without a problem, but I don't think I'll be going down this road again.

03-26-2009 13:42:40 | More by joshuadlight
weazal

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

A: Warm, mildly sweet spices (pepper) and potent, freshly cut into banana.

T: The aroma belies a pungently smoky/bitter flavor. Prominant in-your-face bitterness contrasts against the smooth body. Not very sweet. Bitterness lingers on the tongue long after swallowing. Individual flavors don't leap out, but hay and spicy pepper are definitely blended in there.

Smells, looks, and feels great! Taste, although rounded and interesting, didn't feel the most balanced. Enjoyably complex and fun to drink but flavor didn't provide as much inherent pleasure...

03-24-2009 08:11:08 | More by weazal
EatsTacos

Yukon (Canada)

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a tiny one finger head. Poured into a wine glass.

The nose has a lot of sugary candy aroma. Some definate fruity notes as well, lemon, orange, as well as apple and pear.

Taste is initially quite sweet and sugary, like toffee or caramel. This is blended with a pronounced sour note. Fruits are sour tasting and the bitterness is held back. Not much alcohol gets through the complexity of the flavour.

Creamy and thick mouthfeel with a medium carbonation works incredibly well here. The creamy mouthfeel is what I noticed right away.

03-23-2009 04:33:24 | More by EatsTacos
illidurit

11.2 oz bottle poured into a goblet. Hazy gold color with streaming columns of carbonation. Fluffy white head leaves quintessential Belgian lacing. Aromas of pears and apples with some coriander and a hint of alcohol. Flavor is lightly fruity with accents of pepper and coriander. Significant alcohol blends nicely behind the fruits and spices. Warming mouthfeel with delicate carbonation and medium body.

03-22-2009 08:40:28 | More by illidurit
grayburn

South Carolina

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Picked this up at the local grocer. Poured into a huge snifter for some single consumption at around 50 degrees.
Holy head, this beer is topped with some intense foam that doesn't go anywhere. This is an absolute foam party and I am quite happy to be invited. Shes a beautiful gold and the foam is white as the clouds.
The smell is similar to dried fruits, white raisins, apricot, peaches...a little bit of alcohol hidden in there as well.
The taste is the same, not very sweet with an excellent crisp finish. The carbonation is perfect, nice and bubbly to carry the flavors down the tongue. Perfection.
I could drink this all day, every day. I am scared that the next beer I crack will ruin the lovely taste that this has left in my mouth, believe any hype.

03-19-2009 05:31:13 | More by grayburn
abecall98

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

A - this beer looks great. Very light pale color, pours nice white head, great lacing too.

S - is sweet, with slight bitterness. The smell leaves you with a dry feeling

T - taste is sweet, dry, flavors include esters of raisins, sugar, and other sweet fruit. A little booze in there too.

M - Carbonated, the aftertaste is really dry, rather refreshing

D - I may have trouble finishing my 750 of this bad boy. The booze taste is a little too much. Not the most drinkable, and definitely a sipper

03-18-2009 02:56:18 | More by abecall98
thirdeye11

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Presentation: Poured from a 330ml Westmalle bottle into a Westmalle chalice glass.

A: This beer pours a beautiful 1 finger head into the very wide-mouthed Westmalle chalice-style glass, and recedes slowly. There is always a layer of carbonation/head on the top which I find to be a good thing. There is minimal lacing if any at all.

S: I can't really get a lot from the smell of this beer, but a slight skunkiness maybe, and some sour/bitter apple comes through as well. I think I would have preferred it in a Duvel glass actually.

T: This beer is extremely peppery. I really compare this to La Fin Du Monde because for me that beer does an excellent job of balancing sweetness and pepperiness, but the Westmalle is way over the top in the pepperiness side. For those looking to drink a less sweet tripel though, this is probably right up your alley. I just didn't prefer it. There was also a light fruity taste that I couldn't put my finger on, but was more in the aftertaste than up front. The pepper just seems to cover everything.

M: This beer is also too carbonated. It is one of the best palate cleansers I have had which is good, but it is just too dry and overcarbonated for my tastes.

D: I have only had this one twice, and each time I am left not wanting another. I enjoyed the first one I had, and respect this beer for what it is but for me I don't ever see myself drinking more than one.

Overall Westmalle tripel is a complete departure from almost every other tripel I have had in that it is extremely dry, very peppery both times I have had it, but drinking through the first bottle is definitely not a chore. I will definitely get this again, but I don't think I would drink more than one in a night. I also would choose several others in the style over the Westmalle. Even if Westmalle was as cheap as some other offerings (which it isn't, it's one of the most expensive tripels out there) I still think I would pick others over it regularly.

Highly recommended as I know some love this beer, but not my favorite.

03-13-2009 14:00:29 | More by thirdeye11
matty

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Gold colored beer with a thick slow fading head.Aroma is citrusy.Taste is light citrus,some dark fruit,sugar cane and alcohol.It seems that there is no effort to hide the alcohol since it comes out immediately after the first sip.It was good but was it worth the 16.50 I paid for it?? Probably not but still good and drinkable!!

03-07-2009 03:26:53 | More by matty
Cylinsier

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a 75 cl bottle.

Pours a slightly hazy honey gold with a thick foamy head that lasts a while.

The smell is fantastic. Malty grains, citrusy tartness and a hint of the alchohol.

The taste is great as well. The alcohol is apparent. Otherwise, citrus, malts, and grains. Seems to work in harmony very well.

The mouthfeel is thick and bubbly. It warms a bit from the alcohol too.

A very drinkable beer but seems like it'll knock you out if you aren't careful. This one is a new favorite.

03-02-2009 19:17:54 | More by Cylinsier
brc

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a gigantic head of fluffiness, which isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Lovely honey colored liquid, with active bubbling.

Lovely floral hop smell, with some summery grassiness.

Taste is refined and balanced, with no particular flavor stealing the show. Apricots, licorice, apples, spicy hops. Slight lingering bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is deliciously creamy. Well carbonated.

Very drinkable, with the alcohol well hidden. Not as spicy as its imitators, or over the top in any other fashion. Delicious and well balanced.

03-02-2009 15:42:28 | More by brc
ricke

Sweden

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Serving date: 2009-03-01. Served in snifter.

Presentation: 330 ml bottle with the Trappist collar around the neck. Freshness date (best before 2010-06-30) and glassware recommendations printed on the label.

Appearance: The pour is orange colored with a two finger ivory-colored sparkly head that settles after a short while but leaves a nice coat of foam.

Smell: Pleasant sweet fruit aromas (apricots). Earth and dry hay. Pepper, yeast and a gentle sting from the alcohol. The smell is somewhat reminiscent of white wine - very nice.

Taste: All in all a rather crisp taste with decent amounts of malts. Plenty of fruits - apricots, some banana, citric notes mostly in the form of lemon, and a vague taste of grapes that strengthens the resemblance of white wine I got from the smell. Rustic honey flavors. Big taste of peppery alcohol and spices. Subdued flavors of earthy yeast. The finish is rather bitter, more so than expected, and has a bold spicy alcohol character that seems to linger on forever.

Mouthfeel: Medium body that feels a bit sharp due to generous amounts of carbonation that feels very lively in the mouth.

Drinkability: A very good beer and as most Trappist beers, it showcases a very well balanced complexity. The alcohol is perhaps just a little too present, though. The white wine character I got, mostly from the smell but also to a lesser degree in the taste, was very pleasant.

03-02-2009 15:16:24 | More by ricke
treehugger02010

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

I had this bottle at T.J.'s Everyday in Paoli, PA. It was poured in a snifter.
Appearance: The body is a gold cloudy color. The head is white, thin with good retention and lacing.
Smell: The aromas are mostly hoppy, earth tones and pine, with pale malt.
Taste: The flavors are again mostly earth hops with hits of pine hiding, but with lots of warming boozy "notes."
Mouthfeel: This is a crisp drink.
Drinkability: This beer is very drinkable.
Don't drink and review.

02-26-2009 04:02:44 | More by treehugger02010
cvaypai

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a bottle to a chimay goblet.

Appearance - Beautiful Golden ale color, tons of head that receded slowly and leaves a half inch head.

Smell - Smell of cloves and fruit, small hint of alcohol.

Taste - Very smooth, hints of banana?, very wonderful taste. Can't quite put my finger on it but it is very familiar and fruity.

Mouthfeel- Good not too heavy for being the abv it has, just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability - Great drinkability, would drink all night if I could afford it haha.

All in all this is my 4th trappist I am trying and I am very pleased, I will continue my quest on trying all of them.

02-26-2009 01:22:33 | More by cvaypai
Troyone

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a hazy apple juice color with minimal white head and noticable action.

Sour, bitter, and beerish smell and has some florals in the background.

Some pale and wheat malt flavors, a hint of sourness, with some grapefruit/lime hops in the background.

Medium bodied, resinous, buttery, and has crisp carbonation with an alcohol warming.

Good Trappist beer, not a session beer for me just good.

02-24-2009 00:02:28 | More by Troyone
MasterSki

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

My buddy Seth brought back some trappist brews he picked up in Belgium. Not sure if there's any difference in these vs. what we get in the US. Served in my Darkness goblet. Best before 04/09/10 - so this already a few years old.

A - Three fingers of egg-white foam, which is ridiculous in a goblet. Great retention and beautiful lacing. Opaque orange-peach color with plentiful bubbles lazily rising to the top.

S - Bread, white wine, lemon citrus, yeast, spices and pepper, a touch of musty funk - there's almost a wheat beer quality to this with the strong coriander smell. There's some also caramel maltiness in the background. Solid tripel smell.

T - The taste is less interesting than the smell - actually kind of disappointing. Lots of pepper, lemon, and yeast, and some hints of sweet fruits. Again, there are some elements of wheat beer. No hint of the 9.5% listed on the bottle.

M - Creamy, medium body, solid carbonation. Nice slightly sticky and warming residue. Very satisfying in this regard.

D - One bottle is pretty easy drinking, but the carbonation and ABV would stop me before I got through two of these.

I'm finding I prefer quads to tripels by quite a significant margin.

02-23-2009 04:19:09 | More by MasterSki
Yimosan

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle onto my tulip glass.

A: Cloudy peach color with a thick creamy, almost pillow-like head that went on for a long time. Beautiful lacing throughout my glass.

S: I get some citrus and spice (Coriander & Nutmeg). Also, maybe it was my imagination, but I smelled some caramel way way in the back.
(I have been drinking a lot of Porters lately)

T: The initial impression was a bit bitter, however, as the beer warmed up in my glass it mellowed out a lot.

M: Full bodied, creamy and long lasting on the palate.

**I can see why this beer rates as high as it does, it is spectacular, however, I thought it was too bitter for my taste...worth mentioning, Tripel is my favorite variety.

On the ABV, 9.5%...WOOHOO!!! Drink a few of these and you will be talking some Flemish in no time flat, or so you'll think!!!

Salud!

02-22-2009 22:13:04 | More by Yimosan
goblet

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

poured it into a goblet from a well design glass bottle.

A, hazy golden orange with a nice amount of carbonation which makes a thick white foamy head that reduces quick to a thin layer that stays.

S, alittle sweet and sugary with hay and bit of spice aroma .

t, some noticeable orange peel,spicy yeast gorgeous malt and hops it`s complex and sweet .

M, definitely sweet yeast that doesn`t over power the tongue but leaves a citrus like after taste .

D, is this drinkable YES i find this beer a little to sweet but well made ,give me a another .

02-18-2009 14:27:15 | More by goblet
rslomin

Tennessee

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: Very foamy head, cloudy yellow-orange color
Smell: bananas, spices, similar nose to a hefe-weizen beer
Taste: malty, grainy, similar taste as Duvel, but more alcoholic
long, bitter aftertaste

Reminds me of a mix between a Duvel ale and a Bavarian Hefe Weissbeer, but more alcoholic.

02-18-2009 04:47:55 | More by rslomin
boynabubble

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

A- Light amber and hazy in appearance. Leaves a three finger bubbly head. Lots of head retention.

S- A pleasant mix of hops, caramel, coriander and other spices, and bubblegum.

T- Light but complex. Nice warming alcohol notes. A hit from the hops up front. Cinnamon. Sweet fruity finish.

M- Light but full feeling. The hops make for a clean mouthfeel.

D- A thirst quenching beer that hides it's 9.5% abv very well.

This is very good but I much prefer the Westmalle Dubbel over the Tripel.

02-15-2009 21:23:52 | More by boynabubble
MunchkinDrinker

Maryland

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Pours a hazy yellow with a VERY big white head even with a light pour. Nice lacing though.

S - Very rich and sweet smell. Slight caramel, malts, some other things that i can't put a finger on.

T/M - Sweet malts up front, hop bitterness in the back. Some of the caramel sweetness makes its way in there in the middle. There's alot of other little flavors that play around well together. Very Nice. Feels wonderful. Carbonation is nice and frothy rather than stinging or non-existant. I wasn't expecting the floral flavor in the back to hit so hard though.

D - Very pleasant to drink. Not too sure how many i'd drink in a row though.

02-15-2009 04:05:11 | More by MunchkinDrinker