Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
7ways

Georgia

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

Wow, I don't know if I have ever seen a head like this. Poured 10+ minutes ago and there is still a 2 inch head that looks like an arctic landscape. The beer is a pale, pilsneresque yellow. Smells like sweet and spicy citrus, some pear in there too. Quite yeasty.

First sip, I noticed all the fruit from the smell plus a hint of banana. Spicy and herbal, verging on antiseptic. It's a little too bitter for my experience of the style. Or maybe it is just too bitter for me without a massive hop presence to back it up. Also, the alcohol is way too noticeable, but apparently not too much, because I can't stop sipping it.
Wow. After drinking a little more than half, there is still thick foam sticking to the top of the glass. Ridiculous.
It's thicker, but less effervescent, than what I'd expect from a Trappist or any other Belgian.

I don't want another right now, but I'm still going to buy another one. Something tells me that a couple years in the dark will do wonders for this beer. But fresh, I'd go for Orval.

10-04-2008 01:56:58 | More by 7ways
SFRider

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very cloudy golden/yellow. Chunky sediment at bottom. Great, thick, full head that lasted through most of the drink. Bits of sediment actually rested on top of the head.
Smell: Wheaty. Bitter sweet hoppiness.
Taste: Wow - great taste. Great Belgian Ale! Hints of apricots. Bitter on your breath at the end.
Mouthfeel: Good, medium to heavy carbonation. Fills up and gets foamy on the slush.
Drinkability: Definitely drinkable. Fairly filling.
ABV: 9.5%
Serving Type: 11.2 oz bottle

This beer was actually gifted to me, so I had no idea what to expect. LOVED it! Great Belgian Ale. I got a kick out of the appearance (I actually like to see a little sediment - and this one had some resting on the head 'til just about the very last drop.). This beer stands up well on it's own or I'd recommend with a light meal. Maybe some chicken or roasted veggies. It was surprisingly filling. But I would definitely drink this beer again.

10-02-2008 06:24:33 | More by SFRider
JBushEsq

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

I was lucky enough to have a friend bring this one to me, as its not sold in PA.

This was by way and afar the best tripel that I have ever had, and it makes me sad to knowing that I can not easily get it.

For me this is the best tripel I have ever had, and the one from which all other fall short of.

10-01-2008 20:35:40 | More by JBushEsq
WHROO

Australia

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours a murky golden yellow with rocky head that holds nicely. Not filtered with particles floating around, & attractive sudsy lacing. A little carbonation, counted around 10 stream floating up the glass taking their time.
I got some lemony citrus in the aroma but not too strong. Could also smell the alcohol...but strained to get a definate malty nose.
The taste was more middle to back of the tongue & the ABV shone through - high in warm alcohol to finish. Also found it a lingering bitter & dryness. It was spritzy & dancy on the tongue.
But the whole high ABV taste reminded me of a spirit drink, & hence I am not sure how many of these I could have in one session (not that you'd want a heap)
I imagine this being a really nice cosy winters night drink.

09-30-2008 10:02:56 | More by WHROO
ClavisAurea

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

July 2007 vintage 750ml bottle served in a 33cl Westmalle chalice.

Appearance: golden orange with 1 finger of head

Smell: fruity and complex with a slight yeast smell

Taste: complex bitterness, bubbly and refreshing, sweet fruity finish, apricots, slight hop bite to even it out

This is a fine triple and I wish it was produced more often to keep the price down.

09-28-2008 01:04:15 | More by ClavisAurea
Albinoh

Mexico

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Nice presentation, initial rocky head that settles to a lasting lace, some clings to the glass as the beer goes away. Turbid body, brownish-orange. Citric/lemon alcoholic aroma. Crisply and malty upfront with a yeasty sweetness following. Crispy but not extremely crispy. Medium smooth body. Bitter ending that stays in your mouth for long time.

Very nice, very well balanced, those monks really know what they are doing.

09-26-2008 21:48:01 | More by Albinoh
Offa

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

This is an incredible trippel and possibly my favourite.

It is darkish lightly cloudy gold with a big, off-white head that is dense and lasting, leaving nice, even, creamy lace.

The aroma is alcoholic, winey fruit, grape skins, flowers, grape juice, grain and a hint of banana. It seems lightly spicey and pungent an in enticing way.

The taste and feel are a creamy alcoholic fruitiness, mostly raisins, grapes and a little stewed pear, with a bite. It has a tingly quality, along with herbs, citrus, grain.

09-19-2008 18:21:33 | More by Offa
paytoplay

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Amazing aroma. Color was also a great golden and a bit cloudy color. Out of 12oz bottle. A bit of astringancy / acidty and almost sour that hits the mid in a weird way, though this dicipated after a couple minutes, I’m guessing the palate adjusted. Lived up to the hype, classic belgium texture filled it later. But the aroma, some salt, butter, hint of burnt sugar way in the back. Something to behold.

09-18-2008 02:39:55 | More by paytoplay
Roeters

Poured into a Belgian Goblet

A: Thick white head over an orange brew.

S: Slight earth/herbal aroma with a slight fruitiness.

T: Sweet herbal flavor with a slight yeasty fruitiness

M: Great body, with a release of carbonation across the tongue with sharp bite.

D: Great beer, always a good selection with a good complexity. I wish I had another one.

09-16-2008 06:15:57 | More by Roeters
adamette

4.6/5  rDev +7%

Purchased bottle at McNaulty's Bier Markt in Cleveland, Ohio. All BA's should get there...a great place. Brown bottle with raised "Trappist Bier" stamped into neck, exactly like the one pictured above. Poured into a clean, clear glass. Best before end date 22/01/10

A Before opening it I notice sediment in the beer itself. Wow...5 inch head that never fully dissapeared...although it reduced to about an inch much later. Body is a cloudy yellow brown with bubbles rising from below. Look of body reminds me of Duvel but what an incredible head! Some sediment still floating around. THIS is what a beer should look like! Really, it could not look better.

S Classic citrusy, sweet, woodsy goodness. Reminds me of Duvel.

T Another wow...such a complex pallate of the citrus, sweet, malty goodness. There is an adhesive quality to the taste in that the taste lingers longer than most beers that I have had. There is a molasses like adhesion that stays with you much longer than an average beer. I certainly can taste the alcohol but there are so many other interesting tastes happening. It is just wonderful!

M moderate mouthfeel made bigger to me by the higher alcohol. Mouthfeel is above average but not exceptional imo.

D Fair due to high alcohol. To me this is a beer that you have one of (maybe with some cheese and bread) and enjoy the heck out of it.

Notes: I was really looking forward to this beer and I was not dissapointed. Really one of the great beers in my opinion.

09-16-2008 03:43:56 | More by adamette
stephens101

Oklahoma

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

I fucking love tripels! Ok, we got that out of the way. Pours a magnificent bright orange into a snifter. A huge off-white head full of scattered bubbles fills the glass to the rim and stays there for a while before slowly fading, around the sides first, which leaves a hill of froth in the middle of the glass, before it eventually fades all together and leaves big chunks and stringy lacing all around. Bold aromas of sweet bread, oranges, grapefruit and candy rise to the nose. Tastes spicy and melony up front with a good hit of alcohol heat immediate following. I like it a lot (in my best Jim Carey voice). Other various fruits, some malts, and bold helping of hop bitternes finish things off. Medium to full bodied and well carbonated. I am duly impressed and am going to stop writing now so I can concentrate on how good this one is.

09-12-2008 19:36:14 | More by stephens101
bunnyhustle

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

I love those Belgians but am a little confused with this one. First of all this is an amazing looking beer. A nice pale orange, hazy, with a huge rocky white head. Great retention and that Belgian lace that I love. Smell I didnt much care for. Although there was some yeast, sweet fruits, and bit of bread I thought the alochol was overpowering, this I didnt not expect. When it was first a little cooler, and as it warmed, I couldnt get away from the alcohol. I expected it to be present, but I thought it dominated. The taste was pleasant. Very good Tripel flavor, some fruits and spices, that sweet candi sugar, a bit of grassy hops and that bite of alcohol at the end. Mouthfeel was a little fuller than I expected but still pleasant and overall it was a good, drinkable beer.

09-11-2008 23:51:10 | More by bunnyhustle
kenito799

4.43/5  rDev +3%

750 ml bottle poured into a Duvel glass.

Gorgeous, golden hazy brew topped with gigantic, rocky white head leaving intricate lacing all over the glass. Perfect tripel look.

Aroma is spicy and very fresh, restrained fruitiness and little sugar. Not as complex a nose as expected.

The flavor is bracing and wonderful, snappy bitterness all along, surprising and standing in stark contrast to the overly sweet tripel-style brews across the US. This is a pleasingly dry brew with active crisp carbonation. Complex and well balanced. An excellent classic tripel.

09-10-2008 02:43:09 | More by kenito799
erikm25

Washington

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Very golden orange and while slightly cloudy through the middle it is still a very rich, almost psychedelic, coloring. Nice foamy cream colored head with minimal lacing that looks outstanding.

S: Tart fruit smell with hints off apple and pears. Light sugary malt balanced against spicey yeast. It is heavy and complex but not overwhelming or too busy in anyway. Topped off with a citrus and alcohol aroma I was immediately interested in what it would taste like.

T: I am not very familiar with Belgian tripels but this had a really great taste. Not knowing really what to expect I was pleased. Very sharp tasting with fruity esters and (like the smell) very complex. There is an interesting blend of spice, light fruit, peppers, clover, and even a hint of honey. Very rich, full, and tart. While the alcohol is noticeable it creates a warm tasting experience and has a deliciously sweet aftertaste.

M: Medium carbonation and the mouthfeel was rich. Even with a nice high ABV it is not overkill.

D: Highly drinkable especially in a colder environment and though the alcohol is deceptive it makes for a nice little surprise as you wrap this one up. As I try more tripels this is going to be the standard I judge them against.

09-07-2008 18:50:05 | More by erikm25
NHGrafx

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a 11.2oz brown bottle.

Pours a cloudy orange color with a nice big head which dissipates into a layer of foam. Lacing is pretty foamy too. There is also a lot of sediment floating around which is pretty typical in Tripel's that I have had. Also a small amount of yeast sediment in the bottle which took some swirling to loosen up.

Aroma is very yeasty, with spices, banana, citrus. There was also an aroma similar to apple sauce as the head dissipated. The aroma seems to get spicier as it warms. There is also a slight smell of alcohol as well when it warms.

Taste is very good. The yeasts are apparent. There is also a lot of spiciness in this one which feels somewhat tingly on the tongue, also some malts and citrus flavors too. There is some bitterness on the finish from the hops. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, with what I would call moderate carbonation, all in all, it feels nice in the mouth. This one is also quite drinkable.

Overall this is a fantastic Tripel, one of the best I have had yet. Definitely recommend this one.

09-07-2008 03:27:24 | More by NHGrafx
PatronWizard

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Cool trappist bottle into a snifter...

Orange. Orangest beer I've seen. Looks like orange juice - with pulp. Huge marshmellow head.

Pleasing scent. I think the color is making me smell oranges.

Got a little bite to 'er. Stong flavor. Whoa. Good.

Mouthfeel is the worst characteristic to this beer. It taste so good but the feel is really harsh.

Overall: best tripel I've had in my limited beer career.

09-06-2008 04:40:03 | More by PatronWizard
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a slightly cloudy golden color with a huge fluffy white head that sticks around forever. Aroma is esters, clove, banana, Belgian Yeast. Taste follows the smell but is more intense in spiciness. Finishes with a lingering alcohol burn. Crisp massive carbonation, medium to thick body. Great spicy brew!

09-05-2008 23:50:29 | More by johnnnniee
morimech

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours a beautiful golden color with a large white head that has great retention. Heavy lacing is left on the glass throughout consumption.

Fruity and vinous aroma. I also detect some pepper and cloves. Along with the alcohol makes this one strong smelling beer.

The flavor let me down just a little bit. Has a pungent spice flavor at the start and finishes with a heavy alcohol taste. Very warming as it goes down. Lingering alcohol aftertaste.

Medium body with abundant carbonation but it does not seem harsh too me. Nothing really interesting about the texture.

Very boozy and somewhat expensive will limit my purchasing this beer. Looks and smells stunning but the flavor is not my prefered type in a Tripel.

09-04-2008 22:11:52 | More by morimech
Trappster

Missouri

4.9/5  rDev +14%

Riding on top of a gigantic, two-headed, gold and purple dragon, you are experiencing a high like heroin combined with orgasm combined with being lit on fire by God.

The mouthfeel is well-balanced; it is ballin'.

The appearance is a study in contrasts, with the cloudy richness of its golden liquid being offset by champagnely effervescence rising toward a satisfyingly creamy head.

I would spill this beer on the eyes of a blind beggar to restore his vision, although he would also be cursed with only being able to see Belgian monks everywhere he went, even when he was making love to his deaf girlfriend in his Suburu.

They met when he poured Westmalle dubbel into her ear, and now she can only hear monks chanting.

Did I mention this beer tastes good? There are notes of dragon feathers and muscat. Also Asian spices.

If the nose were a band from Manchester between 1982 and 1985, it would probably be James. If it were an album released by the Beatles, it would probably be one that they never released, but was composed entirely of Prince covers from the future. There is a lingering hint of golden raisins.

It is slightly less drinkable than pure virgin sweat. You could only drink a few bottles before it loses the ability to make you feel like a cancer surgeon who just cured a dying chess genius of cancer in his brain, and also he gets better at chess after the surgery.

09-03-2008 02:13:14 | More by Trappster
JoeMayo

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

A- Pours a dark golden color that appears almost cloudy in the center. The head is rich and foamy with a really creamy appearance. The lacing is intricate and goes down the whole glass.

S- Obviously lots of belgian yeastiness and a nice spice profile. Wheat, bananas, mild clove and a light easter aroma come through.

T- Wow, it's way smoother than it smells (not that it smells bad). It's complex, yeasty, very spicy, yet refreshing. It's slightly sweet with banana notes.

M- Creamy and refreshing with a slight alcohol warmth.

D- It would be way more drinkable if the alcohol was hidden a little better.

09-03-2008 01:30:27 | More by JoeMayo
kirok1999

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a light straw with tons of small yeasties floating in the glass. Lots of foamy head that lingers quite a while.
Smells very spicy, phenol, alcohol, clove and banana.
Lots of spice in the taste, nutmeg, clove, mild alcohol.
Well carbonated with a slick, smooth mouthfeel.
Nice sipper with some soft cheese and nuts.

09-03-2008 00:34:36 | More by kirok1999
TheBishop

Montana

This beer is off the hook, best Tripel hands down.

Poured into Chalice, good head, not thin like I've seen other reviews. Color is straw yellow and murky. Taste is complex and creamy. Alcohol is prevelant but not so much as to make it like cheap malt liquor. Mouthful is unreal, almost too much to describe, almost a shame to swallow. Drinkability I gave a 4.5, only because of high alcohol content, makes this a poor session beer.

Side note, I have been trying to get any trappist beer into this town for about 15 years, finally came through and was worth the wait (even if it set me back a few bucks)

A true representation of Tripel style.

Added note, after further review (drinking) I believe my hit on drinkability is unwarranted. This is the best in the style so there fore give it a 5 across the board. I have not found a better Tripel yet.

09-02-2008 02:28:00 | More by TheBishop
jeffmonarch

Maryland

2.53/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2 oz. bottle in a snifter glass.

A - Slightly orange brown cloudy color with a thin white head.

S - Grainy and almost like wet dog. I hate to day that but it does.

T - It tastes better than it smells at least although I am still not impressed. It is a little sweet and very grainy. A little bitter also.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - Did not like this one at all.

09-02-2008 02:10:54 | More by jeffmonarch
jayb

Iowa

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance
pours a orangish, light amberish, but clear, plenty of yeast sediment floating in the bottle. Two fingers of light tan head which settles down pretty quick. A second poor produce more of a cloudy brew. still attractive

Smell
citrusy, sour, tangy. Smells very much like a strong white ale. peppery, stings a little as i inhale.

Taste
Mmm. Look out! Tangy, sweet, fruity. Lingering mild bitterness. A spicy mother. There seems to be a lot going on here but the alcohol, spiciness and mild citrus tang are most apparent to me.

Mouthfeel
Smoothish. Very engaging as it is velvety at first, then the carbonation kicks in, giving it some zest and really bringing out the alcohol warmth.

Drinkability
Short of the spicy warmth that whacks you in the nose and mouth, its easy to keep after. The hop bitterness compounds as you continue which slows one down a bit, but be sure it will not stop you from finishing this glass slowly and enjoyably. A bold brew to be sure. I am working on this 1 pint, 9 oz bottle and enjoying it, although a smaller portion would be plenty for anyone. Enjoy!
Cheers.

08-27-2008 01:42:09 | More by jayb
changeup45

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a peach, orange, perhaps I could call it grapefruit color. Moderate head that tapers off pretty quickly. About a quarter of the way through just a patchy head remains that does produce some lacing. The aroma is pleasant consisting of fruits, some of the sweeter one's such as oranges and some nice yeast. Semi-tangy citrus flavor, yeasty and extremely easy drinking. There's almost a clean watery note mixed in with the fruits. I would never have known there was 9.2% alcohol in there if I didn't look at the bottle. Quite refreshing too but if you're drinking this you aren't looking for something to slug down while sitting in the sun. As the beer warms it becomes a little more spicy with a sour grapefruit flavor and a banana note I didn't get earlier but still, I can hardly taste the alcohol. This is a great beer but it didn't wow me.

08-26-2008 20:24:27 | More by changeup45