Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
3.4/5  rDev -20.9%

A: Pours a pale, passionfruit-like yellow with 1 finger of off-white head that doesn't make a point of sticking around long or leaving much lacing in its wake. Sediment seems to be unavoidable, as it was allowed to settle and warm on the counter and still managed to give me a chunky looking beer.

S: Some light fruits make themselves apparent, along with a little bit of an herbal hop presence that I would describe as somewhat musky. The alcohol really comes through on the nose also.

T: Mildly hoppy, some light grains and light fruits make an appearance, but I'm having trouble getting any standout flavors here. Once again, the alcohol seems to take this beer over, ruining any chances it might have had at leaving any kind of lasting impression.

M: The mouth feel is probably the best aspect of this beer, I found it to be somewhat thick and creamy, nice light carbonation, and very very smooth going down. Nice.

D: I'd maybe have another one, but I don't think I'd buy this again. It's drinkable enough, but as Tripels go, you can do much better things with your money.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

A. Slightly pale hazy (even after the beer settled it seemed there was still suspended sediment) yellow, very little head that dissipated rather quickly.

S. A very upfront alcohol smell, also an acidic citrus smell.

T. First taste had a strong sharpness with a light fruity profile and a light hoppy finish.

M. Crisp, light almost a creamy delicate beer with some body.

D. It was a good beer not extremely drinkable not something you have to force down. I'd personally drink 2 or 3 of these and enjoy every moment.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

11.2oz bottle

A- Poured into a chalice, this one is stunning. Pours a golden yellow color with a little bit of orange with a huge creamy off-white head that possesses excellent retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is very fruity with hints of citrus and spices. Wow, what a fantastic aroma!

T- The taste like the aroma is absolutely amazing. There is some fruity malts and spices galore with a little bit of yeast and hops in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel has a really nice body with a perfect amount of carbonation.

D- What an awesome beer this is! Westmalle Tripel is probably the best beer from this style I've ever had. Highly Recommended!

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

The look in my Westmalle goblet is cloudy, soft (disturbed sediment?) gold/apricot with a generous finger of frothy, compact head. It's bright, soft and looks great but I wished the head would retain a little bit better. Malty, yeast and fruit notes of deep complexity coming off of the aroma... apricot, orange, pear, ginger with a lingering alcohol spiciness... very, very complex aroma that I really like. Most of those complex and involving layers carry on into the taste, there is a pervasive alcohol burn through the sip. Light sugar-cookie breadiness underneath the palette of fruits (which evens out over time to be dominated by lingering orange rind). No one thing is extremely present, it's uniformly balanced. The beer is incredibly soft, rich and velvety-smooth in the mouth, there's a little kick in the very front of the sip from the mild carbonation but not too much. At 9.5% this one goes straight to the head... but for the style it's nicely drinkable.

Where my go-to Tripel, Unibroue's La Fin du Monde, is a zesty, fun rush of a beer, Westmalle's take on the style is soft and voluptuous and layered. I like the big juiciness and spice of La Fin more, but Westmalle, while more subtle, is more complex and feels even better in the mouth. It's easy to see why these beers are one-and-two on the BA Tripel rankings! My rating for La Fin is slightly higher but this is still a knockout of a brew, I wish I could find it more readily!

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

One of the smoothest and beers I've had. Great creamy head, aroma is sweet and fruity. Taste isn't as flavorful as it is smooth - still lots of flavor, of course. Feel is really exceptional, like I've been saying - smooth off the charts. Alcohol is blended well the 9.5% isn't obvious, but the beer has a nice kick to it. Great beer - I'd like to try it next to La Fin Du Monde.

2.6/5  rDev -39.5%

The appearance is a golden copper color. This is one foamy beer and creates a huge head. There is a subtle spicy aroma and I picked up coriander spice with a slight orange zest. There is definatley upfront spice with a peppery bitter aftertaste that I found a little disagreable. It's the aftertaste that ruins this beer for me. As for mouthfeel, this is a highly carbonated Belgian ale.

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a cloudy, dark yellow color. Huge, 1 3/4 inch head with great retention and great lacing. Smells sweet, of earthy malts, vaguely of citrusy, and slightly of hops. Fits the style of a Tripel. Heavy and chewy mouth feel with high carbonation levels. Tastes strongly of alcohol and some sweet/earthy malts. Slight hop kick is noticeable in the aftertaste. A citrusy background flavor also comes through after a few sips. The alcohol flavor is strong enough to hinder the drinkability. Overall, a good beer, but it packs quite the punch.

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a Chimay goblet, hopefully that won't upset the beer gods! The smell of this one might be the weakest aspect despite it still being top notch, but the taste is phenomenal. Exactly what you should look for in a tripel.

I could drink this one all day long, one of my favorite beers so far.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Poured into my favorite tulip glass. It would be hard to have any gripes about the appearance... Golden color, nice foamy head that stays for a bit then retreats to the edge of the glass with lacy haphazardly shaped continents. Spin the glass like wine and the head reappears! Yeast is suspended and swirls around in a random nature with the carbonation. Several streams of bubbles form and seems as if they would bubble forever if I could resist drinking the beer.

S - Smells like sour apples and lillies.

T/M - The immediate taste is crisp and somewhat dry with a sour bitterness that blends well with spiciness. If I were to guess the ABV, I would think it were around 7%. The sourness, while not being overwhelming, seems to melt the taste of alcohol away. The flavor of the beer almost serves as a chaser.

D - This is the kind of beer that I could drink at almost any time - I am ecstatic that this is brewed year round.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

This beer is on a different playing field from all the other Trappists. It still has all the complexity, and flavor that the others have, but the experience is somehow deeper, and I love it for that little bit extra. The monks of Westmalle have created something special here (or continue to create something special that has been around for ages).

A - Beautiful, yet lightly golden coloring. An extremely frothy and rich, thick head. I let that dissipate as I enjoyed the aroma.

S - Very flowery, and fragrant. Lots of flavors here, but nice and slightly sweet citrus smell.

T - A welcome difference in this beer is that it is not too sweet at all, like some Belgians can be. Beautifully dry, and just a hint of tartness make this brew as complex and delicious as any classic wine could ever hope to be.

M - Again I emphasize the dryness of this beer. It is just a great, and uniquely different experience for me, and I love it.

D- This is a beer to be enjoyed slowly, and paired with some food. Not so much a session beer (for price, and alcohol content). But I would have some every week, if I could afford that. A world class beer, no doubt.

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

classically beautiful 11.2 fl oz brown bottle poured into my long last found chalice of westmalle (! haha!)

A - damn near perfect. there is an amazing hazy golden/brazen color that fill the chalice, with some yeast chunkies floating around. there are some few bubbles from the bottom, but they are doing little to keep the head full. the head could have filled up better but it will suffice ne'er the less. the head fades fast and leaves a thin layer in the middle of the chalice, it retains well around the side of the glass. goddamn I love these cistericans.

S - tart dried apricots, like the gourmet ones from california, and granny smith apples, are the most creative way I can come up with describing the smell; this binds the alcohol in a warm blanket and makes it smell enchanting. my cat has once again sampled some of the beer; from her face and look of utter disgust I will inform the reader that it is in my best belief that she is not a fan. Perhaps too strong? maybe she should just stick to old ales. moving on. there is a slight slight subtle underlayer of real sweet to the beer, like apple sauce, or caramel apples.

T - chewing the beer makes the malts come out in full force and you can reall appreciate the sweetness that they have to offer (this is one technique that I picked up from one of those silly sam adams commercials). there is a spicy bitterness that hits the front tip of the tongue; this makes a bit of burn and the special ting that bitter tastes do.the the finish has real dark fruits coming out, ripe as hell too, delicious purple plumbs and prunes. I might also add there is something that i would call dark/black cherry, it has a maraschino sweetness but is dumbed down with the ripeness of the plumbs and prunes and thus makes a black cherry flavour. kind of cool if you can taste it. as for the finish: the finish also has towards the end alcohol mixing in with fruit, but alcohol comes running in during the beginning of finish and afterward, but sooner than later it fades out. the after taste is slightly sweet, with dominantly malt taste.

MF - the feel is great, perfect except for the fact that I get an onslaught of bubbles in my mouth. the consistency is amazing, and I can really complain about nothing except for the few cat hairs in my drink. I once again will express my admiration for the trappiste: i love the quality products that come out of these institutions.

D - despite the intense crisp carbonation, that is to say: very small bubbles (unlike coke, more like mountain dew) that meake it easier to drink but also make you feel more bloated from the fact that you do drink more, I would drink this all night long; I am being literal. I will say it loud and plowed. all night long. me and this beer, I can forget my beautiful girlfriend or even making dinner for my self, I'll just pretend im a monk, and I'm fasting under one of those crazy rules of St. Benedict.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

33cL bottle poured into a Trappist Rochefort chalice

A - dark brown, no head (probably because all of the carbon dioxide was lost when the bottle was opened. It shot out of the bottle just like it did when I opened the Westmalle dubbel)

S - yeast, citrus fruits, hops, spices, and malt. a very, very good aroma that words cannot do justice to.

T - spicy citrus flavor, a little bit of malt, bananas, alcohol. the hops are as noticeable in the taste as they are in the nose

M - a tad on the too carbonated side

D - I really enjoy beers that have a noticeable alcohol taste.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

11.2oz brown bottle

Westmalle Trappist Tripel was golden with good clarity (until I dumped in the yeast anyway). It had a large fluffy white head with good retention and lacing. The aroma was spice, fruit, and yeast. The taste was spices with a little fruit and a dry, warming finish. It was medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. Drinkability was outstanding. This is an excellentTripel. A must try.

4.43/5  rDev +3%

When I opened the 11.2 oz bottle there was a bit of a gush of foam coming out of the top of the bottle. It had been stored in my cellar at 52 degrees and was unshaken/undisturbed before pouring. As a result, I had to tip the bottle quickly and noticed that a lot of the sediment has suspended in the brew. I poured just over ½ the bottle into a snifter glass where a fluffy/foamy white head formed about two fingers thick. It slowly settled leaving sticky lacing all inside the glass. The beer was a honey gold color that was fairly cloudy with plenty of floaters... I wish I had been able to pour a non-disturbed glass.

The aroma was very fragrant, with a ton of fruits.. There was a great deal of peach, some green apple and light cherry. Also a great yeasty nose with some great spice notes. Very nice...

Some slight rubber flavor...Initial sweetness followed by deep fruits and then right to the yeasty nature. Some real earthiness. Sweet Peaches, band aid. A touch of alcohol. Towards the end some hop bitterness sits atop a sweetness. Both linger together and are very nice. As you continue to enjoy you notice a caramel nature more and more. Interesting...

Mouth feel is a bit dry and crisp, despite the evident sweetness.

Just a classic Tripel.. Wonderful

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

I figured this was fate. I drove by Surdyk's so see their flashing LED sign scrolling their specials. I just so happened to drive by when "Double (sic) and Tripel Single Bottles $4.44" I didn't even bother to see what it was I just figured it was a good deal.

So I made my way in, and purchased 1 Westmalle Tripel and 1 Westmalle Dubbel. I was very excited to try both because I have heard excellent things about both.

Poured from an 11 oz brown bottle with raised glass. The color is golden yellow with sort of a ruby touch. It would be more accurate to call it honey, as it's a slightly dark golden color. A giant pluming head is produced when poured into my Weizen glass (curse myself for not having the proper glassware!). Head slowly dissipates to a small dollop, which leaves no lacing.

Has a very complex aroma. Fruity, with floral hops in the background. Also a slight honey scent, along with a spicey twang.

Taste is equally as complex. It starts out fruity and citusy, with a strong acidic quality. Has a distinct bitterness, that is accompanied by more fruity flavors, spices and honey. Extremely appealing to me. Just as they website claims, this beer does have a great deal of elegance and finesse.

This beer is light in body. It houses moderate carbonation, and along with the moderate alcohol present, it makes for a great, but not excellent, mouthfeel.

I consider this one of the most enjoyable and drinkable beers I've ever had the pleasure of trying. The high alcohol is masked very well.

I believe the sale at Surdyk's ends today. I may have to go back and pick up a few more. I was very impressed by both the Tripel and the Dubbel, they did not disappoint.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

I bought an 11.2 oz. bottle of this at Bev Max in Stamford Ct. this weekend. I poured it into a tulip glass.

A- It poured a cloudy dark gold with a slight orange glow. It had a huge thick creamy white head that stayed through most of the glass. It also had tons of heavy laceing through out.

S- Ahh, the sweet smell of Belgium triples is a thing of beauty! I first notice that lovely Belgium yeast and sweet candy sugar followed by some light bananas and citrusy hops. I also detect some alcohol in the background.

T- Wonderfull! Like the scent, I first notice yeast and candy sugar with a honey under tone. It also had some spice notes ranging from corriander and clove to white pepper. Next came some fruitiness manily light banana and citrus undertones of orange and light lemons. It also had a pleasent bitter grassy hops and a slight metallic twang. The alcohol was pretty well hidden but came through on the back end with a nice bite.

M- Medium body with a buttery, creamy feel. Lively carbonation that sent little bubbles up from the bottom in large numbers.

D- This is one of my favorite Trappist ales. Its balanced very nice and is a great example of a triple style ale. I could (and have on more than one occasion)knock back 4 or 5 of these at a sitting but be carefull they will sneak up on you! Cheers!

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle with a best of date of 14/04/10 into a snifter.

A - Pours a cloudy yellow/light orange. Really fluffy, bright white head. It thins out, but keeps a consistent head the whole way through. Fair carbonation. It's a lot slower moving in the center than on the sides of the glass. I almost want to watch it for a few more seconds instead of tasting it, haha. Overall, looks really appetizing.

S - There's a lot of yeast in the nose. There's a lot of banana/fruitiness going on. It's a really intense, strong smell. There's definitely a bit of peppery-ness in there as well.

T - Wow. I was surprised with how powerful the nose was, and the taste is definitely the same. The flavors really mix well together here. On my first sip I was surprised to get some upfront malt flavor before getting smacked with some fruity flavors. The banana is there, but most noticeable to me is the apple flavor in the finish, which completely caught me off guard. I've only tried a few tripels, and none of them had any apple flavor that I can remember. This is great. There's some bitterness in the finish, too, but there isn't a discernible hop flavor from it.

MF - Really light and fairly thin. The carbonation is really lively, though. It just sort of hops(haha!) around in your mouth. I'm not really sure what food I'd pair this with(I only paired a tripel with food once, and I don't remember what it was), but I think it could go really well with a main course.

D - I have to say that this is probably the most drinkable Belgian I've had so far. That apple flavor is just fantastic. If price wasn't a factor, I could definitely get through a couple of these before the ABV started to catch up. However, the price tag doesn't allow for that(I think I spent $6 for the bottle), though I'll definitely pick this up again.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Yellowish-gold color with a hugh fluffy head. Leaves no lacing. The bits of sediment make it look beautiful in the light of the lamp.

S: Sweet honey, spices, vanilla, buttery and floral

T: Honey, vanilla, and a touch of citrus. Becomes gently spicy afterwards and just the lightest hint of alcohol. Not too bitter either.

M: Light body and good carbonation make it easy to sip or take gulps.

Overall, Another successful beer adventure! After analyzing the first few sips, this beer was easy to get lost in and take some big gulps. Alcohol is very well hidden.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

My Westmalle Chalice can barely contain the meringue head as it looms over a cloudy, honey-gold elixir. The head drops eventually to a puffy pillow before dissipating entirely.

Roasted malts definitively, yet lightly, scent this beer, followed by straw and pear scents.

A sweet start brings on strong acid, followed by a moderate, bitter finish, with pepper, pear and lime accentuating this fine beer.

The light body is very dry with a soft carbonation and moderate alcohol level and is somewhat cleansing.

Great for contemplation or discussion with family. I'll have a second, but will be sure to sip both.

date consumed: 13 Oct 2008

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy orange color with frothy foam that falls to a beautiful lace. Nose is orange slice jelly candy, lemon zest, pear flesh, grass, and pink peppercorn. There's a nice yeast spice, green apple, vanilla on the palate along with an open airy carbonation. Westmalle Triple is a very complex beer and as it warms brings a breadiness, pepper again, herbal notes, then the treasured candied sugar - crisp finish. Ultimately, a world-class beverage.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a goblet.

Appearance is a hazy golden, with only a half inch white head, surprising considering it foamed over and made a big mess upon opening it. Lots of fine sediment floating around in it as well. Not the best to look at. Head sinks down to a skim that retains quite well.

Aroma is pretty spicy with a heavy earthy tone that comes off slightly skunky. There's a light sweetness beneath all that.

The taste is sweet up front but quickly becomes spicy with the earthy component coming through strongly again. It's pretty hoppy overall with some herbal/spicy hops coming through towards the end. Gets better as it warms.

Mouthfeel is light bodied but very creamy and just glides across the tongue. Excellent carbonation.

This one tasted great, I almost feel bad giving the appearance and smell ratings lower, but they really weren't that good compared to other tripels. While this is the original tripel, it's not the best out there. Great beer in any case.

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Color is a hazy amber, not impressive - but the thick, white, rather persistent head promises a great ale. Strong aroma is creamy, fruity, malty, and slightly sweet. Flavor is crisp, fruity, malty, very satisfying, not overly complex but rather mouth-filling. Texture is smooth but edgy, and leaves a fruity and slightly hoppy aftertaste. It does have quite a bite to it, so beware - it ain't for sissies!

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a cellar temp bomber into a room temp pint glass.

Pour produces a fluffy two finger head topping a pale orange body. The body is cloudy, yet translucent. I expected it to be a bit darker, but it was still very nice.

Smells like apricots and pepper. Faint aromas of exotic fruits and a slight follow up of alcohol.

Tastes very bright. Tangy apricot and fruity tastes wash through the mouth. Pepper and ... and something pleasantly bitter. Finally warming alcohol. Oh so pleasant warming alcohol.

Feels bright and carbonated in the mouth. Crisp and peppery in the sinuses and the back of the throat. This feels like high octane champagne in the mouth.

Aside from the price and high alcohol, I could drink this all day. I'd love to, but as it is, I'll keep them for special occasions.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into a goblet.

A - Pours up a slightly hazy pale yellow with a dense white head.

S - Some sweet malt, some pear in the aroma

T - Sweet malt flavor with some dried fruit in the background. Finishes with a little alcohol on the back of the tongue. Nice.

M - Full mouthfeel and carbonation

D - Well balanced beer. This will sneak up on you.

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into heavy chalice. Poured a lovely hazy golden color. A tall, full, but delicate head. Leaves beautiful lacing. Great floral aroma with spice notes. Taste matches aroma perfectly with a slight alcohol flavor. The body is full, well-rounded and very satisfying. Drinks very smoothly. A very special yet comfortable companion for a variety of situations. This beer would be right at home after mowing the lawn or with dinner at a five star restaurant. Very highly recommended.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle