Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros

11.2 oz bottle poured into a goblet. Hazy gold color with streaming columns of carbonation. Fluffy white head leaves quintessential Belgian lacing. Aromas of pears and apples with some coriander and a hint of alcohol. Flavor is lightly fruity with accents of pepper and coriander. Significant alcohol blends nicely behind the fruits and spices. Warming mouthfeel with delicate carbonation and medium body.

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Picked this up at the local grocer. Poured into a huge snifter for some single consumption at around 50 degrees.
Holy head, this beer is topped with some intense foam that doesn't go anywhere. This is an absolute foam party and I am quite happy to be invited. Shes a beautiful gold and the foam is white as the clouds.
The smell is similar to dried fruits, white raisins, apricot, peaches...a little bit of alcohol hidden in there as well.
The taste is the same, not very sweet with an excellent crisp finish. The carbonation is perfect, nice and bubbly to carry the flavors down the tongue. Perfection.
I could drink this all day, every day. I am scared that the next beer I crack will ruin the lovely taste that this has left in my mouth, believe any hype.

3.96/5  rDev -7.9%

A - this beer looks great. Very light pale color, pours nice white head, great lacing too.

S - is sweet, with slight bitterness. The smell leaves you with a dry feeling

T - taste is sweet, dry, flavors include esters of raisins, sugar, and other sweet fruit. A little booze in there too.

M - Carbonated, the aftertaste is really dry, rather refreshing

D - I may have trouble finishing my 750 of this bad boy. The booze taste is a little too much. Not the most drinkable, and definitely a sipper

3.51/5  rDev -18.4%

Presentation: Poured from a 330ml Westmalle bottle into a Westmalle chalice glass.

A: This beer pours a beautiful 1 finger head into the very wide-mouthed Westmalle chalice-style glass, and recedes slowly. There is always a layer of carbonation/head on the top which I find to be a good thing. There is minimal lacing if any at all.

S: I can't really get a lot from the smell of this beer, but a slight skunkiness maybe, and some sour/bitter apple comes through as well. I think I would have preferred it in a Duvel glass actually.

T: This beer is extremely peppery. I really compare this to La Fin Du Monde because for me that beer does an excellent job of balancing sweetness and pepperiness, but the Westmalle is way over the top in the pepperiness side. For those looking to drink a less sweet tripel though, this is probably right up your alley. I just didn't prefer it. There was also a light fruity taste that I couldn't put my finger on, but was more in the aftertaste than up front. The pepper just seems to cover everything.

M: This beer is also too carbonated. It is one of the best palate cleansers I have had which is good, but it is just too dry and overcarbonated for my tastes.

D: I have only had this one twice, and each time I am left not wanting another. I enjoyed the first one I had, and respect this beer for what it is but for me I don't ever see myself drinking more than one.

Overall Westmalle tripel is a complete departure from almost every other tripel I have had in that it is extremely dry, very peppery both times I have had it, but drinking through the first bottle is definitely not a chore. I will definitely get this again, but I don't think I would drink more than one in a night. I also would choose several others in the style over the Westmalle. Even if Westmalle was as cheap as some other offerings (which it isn't, it's one of the most expensive tripels out there) I still think I would pick others over it regularly.

Highly recommended as I know some love this beer, but not my favorite.

3.7/5  rDev -14%

Gold colored beer with a thick slow fading head.Aroma is citrusy.Taste is light citrus,some dark fruit,sugar cane and alcohol.It seems that there is no effort to hide the alcohol since it comes out immediately after the first sip.It was good but was it worth the 16.50 I paid for it?? Probably not but still good and drinkable!!

4.44/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a 75 cl bottle.

Pours a slightly hazy honey gold with a thick foamy head that lasts a while.

The smell is fantastic. Malty grains, citrusy tartness and a hint of the alchohol.

The taste is great as well. The alcohol is apparent. Otherwise, citrus, malts, and grains. Seems to work in harmony very well.

The mouthfeel is thick and bubbly. It warms a bit from the alcohol too.

A very drinkable beer but seems like it'll knock you out if you aren't careful. This one is a new favorite.

4.36/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a gigantic head of fluffiness, which isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Lovely honey colored liquid, with active bubbling.

Lovely floral hop smell, with some summery grassiness.

Taste is refined and balanced, with no particular flavor stealing the show. Apricots, licorice, apples, spicy hops. Slight lingering bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is deliciously creamy. Well carbonated.

Very drinkable, with the alcohol well hidden. Not as spicy as its imitators, or over the top in any other fashion. Delicious and well balanced.

4.07/5  rDev -5.3%

Serving date: 2009-03-01. Served in snifter.

Presentation: 330 ml bottle with the Trappist collar around the neck. Freshness date (best before 2010-06-30) and glassware recommendations printed on the label.

Appearance: The pour is orange colored with a two finger ivory-colored sparkly head that settles after a short while but leaves a nice coat of foam.

Smell: Pleasant sweet fruit aromas (apricots). Earth and dry hay. Pepper, yeast and a gentle sting from the alcohol. The smell is somewhat reminiscent of white wine - very nice.

Taste: All in all a rather crisp taste with decent amounts of malts. Plenty of fruits - apricots, some banana, citric notes mostly in the form of lemon, and a vague taste of grapes that strengthens the resemblance of white wine I got from the smell. Rustic honey flavors. Big taste of peppery alcohol and spices. Subdued flavors of earthy yeast. The finish is rather bitter, more so than expected, and has a bold spicy alcohol character that seems to linger on forever.

Mouthfeel: Medium body that feels a bit sharp due to generous amounts of carbonation that feels very lively in the mouth.

Drinkability: A very good beer and as most Trappist beers, it showcases a very well balanced complexity. The alcohol is perhaps just a little too present, though. The white wine character I got, mostly from the smell but also to a lesser degree in the taste, was very pleasant.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

I had this bottle at T.J.'s Everyday in Paoli, PA. It was poured in a snifter.
Appearance: The body is a gold cloudy color. The head is white, thin with good retention and lacing.
Smell: The aromas are mostly hoppy, earth tones and pine, with pale malt.
Taste: The flavors are again mostly earth hops with hits of pine hiding, but with lots of warming boozy "notes."
Mouthfeel: This is a crisp drink.
Drinkability: This beer is very drinkable.
Don't drink and review.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a bottle to a chimay goblet.

Appearance - Beautiful Golden ale color, tons of head that receded slowly and leaves a half inch head.

Smell - Smell of cloves and fruit, small hint of alcohol.

Taste - Very smooth, hints of banana?, very wonderful taste. Can't quite put my finger on it but it is very familiar and fruity.

Mouthfeel- Good not too heavy for being the abv it has, just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability - Great drinkability, would drink all night if I could afford it haha.

All in all this is my 4th trappist I am trying and I am very pleased, I will continue my quest on trying all of them.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a hazy apple juice color with minimal white head and noticable action.

Sour, bitter, and beerish smell and has some florals in the background.

Some pale and wheat malt flavors, a hint of sourness, with some grapefruit/lime hops in the background.

Medium bodied, resinous, buttery, and has crisp carbonation with an alcohol warming.

Good Trappist beer, not a session beer for me just good.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

My buddy Seth brought back some trappist brews he picked up in Belgium. Not sure if there's any difference in these vs. what we get in the US. Served in my Darkness goblet. Best before 04/09/10 - so this already a few years old.

A - Three fingers of egg-white foam, which is ridiculous in a goblet. Great retention and beautiful lacing. Opaque orange-peach color with plentiful bubbles lazily rising to the top.

S - Bread, white wine, lemon citrus, yeast, spices and pepper, a touch of musty funk - there's almost a wheat beer quality to this with the strong coriander smell. There's some also caramel maltiness in the background. Solid tripel smell.

T - The taste is less interesting than the smell - actually kind of disappointing. Lots of pepper, lemon, and yeast, and some hints of sweet fruits. Again, there are some elements of wheat beer. No hint of the 9.5% listed on the bottle.

M - Creamy, medium body, solid carbonation. Nice slightly sticky and warming residue. Very satisfying in this regard.

D - One bottle is pretty easy drinking, but the carbonation and ABV would stop me before I got through two of these.

I'm finding I prefer quads to tripels by quite a significant margin.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle onto my tulip glass.

A: Cloudy peach color with a thick creamy, almost pillow-like head that went on for a long time. Beautiful lacing throughout my glass.

S: I get some citrus and spice (Coriander & Nutmeg). Also, maybe it was my imagination, but I smelled some caramel way way in the back.
(I have been drinking a lot of Porters lately)

T: The initial impression was a bit bitter, however, as the beer warmed up in my glass it mellowed out a lot.

M: Full bodied, creamy and long lasting on the palate.

**I can see why this beer rates as high as it does, it is spectacular, however, I thought it was too bitter for my taste...worth mentioning, Tripel is my favorite variety.

On the ABV, 9.5%...WOOHOO!!! Drink a few of these and you will be talking some Flemish in no time flat, or so you'll think!!!

Salud!

4.3/5  rDev 0%

poured it into a goblet from a well design glass bottle.

A, hazy golden orange with a nice amount of carbonation which makes a thick white foamy head that reduces quick to a thin layer that stays.

S, alittle sweet and sugary with hay and bit of spice aroma .

t, some noticeable orange peel,spicy yeast gorgeous malt and hops it`s complex and sweet .

M, definitely sweet yeast that doesn`t over power the tongue but leaves a citrus like after taste .

D, is this drinkable YES i find this beer a little to sweet but well made ,give me a another .

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: Very foamy head, cloudy yellow-orange color
Smell: bananas, spices, similar nose to a hefe-weizen beer
Taste: malty, grainy, similar taste as Duvel, but more alcoholic
long, bitter aftertaste

Reminds me of a mix between a Duvel ale and a Bavarian Hefe Weissbeer, but more alcoholic.

3.77/5  rDev -12.3%

A- Light amber and hazy in appearance. Leaves a three finger bubbly head. Lots of head retention.

S- A pleasant mix of hops, caramel, coriander and other spices, and bubblegum.

T- Light but complex. Nice warming alcohol notes. A hit from the hops up front. Cinnamon. Sweet fruity finish.

M- Light but full feeling. The hops make for a clean mouthfeel.

D- A thirst quenching beer that hides it's 9.5% abv very well.

This is very good but I much prefer the Westmalle Dubbel over the Tripel.

4.16/5  rDev -3.3%

A - Pours a hazy yellow with a VERY big white head even with a light pour. Nice lacing though.

S - Very rich and sweet smell. Slight caramel, malts, some other things that i can't put a finger on.

T/M - Sweet malts up front, hop bitterness in the back. Some of the caramel sweetness makes its way in there in the middle. There's alot of other little flavors that play around well together. Very Nice. Feels wonderful. Carbonation is nice and frothy rather than stinging or non-existant. I wasn't expecting the floral flavor in the back to hit so hard though.

D - Very pleasant to drink. Not too sure how many i'd drink in a row though.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

poured into a duvel tulip.

comes out the color of honey - actually, it matches the 'honey oak' desk on which it's sitting extraordinarily well. Thick, off-white head is HUGE at first, dies down steadily over the next minute or two, until a nice half-inch is left (helped out by the scoring in the glass).

smells strongly of what i can only describe as 'outdoors' - some wet hay, wet leaves, subtle flowery scents and general earthiness, followed by sweet fruits, namely apples, pears, and a tiny bit of peach.

taste is... woah, cinnamon up front? bready, still floral, and the sweetness is muted but present. disregard that, sweetness is just latent - let it sit in your mouth a good while longer than usual. apples and pears are still there, joined by honey and more woody and earthy fllavors.

feels big but light, sloshy; not watery, but 'loose' in the mouth. carbonation is enjoyable, but borderline soda-esque. reminds me of RC cola as far as mouthfeel, actually... just without the sugary graininess. just about as drinkable, too - can only handle so much at once, but that's not to say it isn't easy to enjoy.

3.66/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

At homebrewing meeting, part of style of the month.

A - Poured a golden-yellow color, with a 2 fingered head, dissipated slow and left some nice lacing.

S/T - Bread and spicy hops. Surprised no candi sugars.

M - Well balanced, but a little too hop dominated. Made the feel slightly thin.

D - Would not say no to this beer, it is good, but could improve on the mouthfeel and with some added taste.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a chalice

Pours a honey color with a moderate cloud. Towering head that refuse to dissipate. Head stays rocky and sticks vehemently to the sides of the chalice.

Smell is very floral and sweet. Roses and chrysanthemums, clover honey and sweet fruit. Earl Grey tea like hints of bergamot oil in the nose.

Flavor is sweet rolls and huge malt. Bready and sugary, the malt is very big here. Slightly dry as far as that goes with the sweetness in this beer. Honey with a mead like character comes in and then cedes to the drying sweetness of the alcohol. Caramel apples and dates on top of a huge hit of malt. Have I mentioned yet the malt is huge? Hop character, is there are any is completely muted bu the huge grain bill. This is a big beer.

Mouthfeel is thick and chewy. Carbonation is soft and abundant. A meal in a bottle.

Very impressed, much more so than other trappistes and clones I've had the privelege to try.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle into chalice.

Pours cloudy orange-gold, with a massive, pillowy white head. Nice lacing.

Aroma is candied sugar, spicy yeast, apricot & tropical fruit. Bit boozey, in a nice way.

Taste is candy sweetness, beautifully spicy yeast, overripe fruit and a yeasty, alcohol bitterness. Finish carries a clean hop bitterness, spicy sweetness, rich golden fruitiness.

Sticky, but with a crisp carbonation.

Beautifully complex, yet balanced. Superb.

3.04/5  rDev -29.3%

330ml bottle into Chimay goblets.

Appearance- bright gold, finger-and-a-half off white head.

Smell- some funky, musty, farmy yeast aroma is definitely noticeable. Also sweet, sugary, fruity aromas. It isn't a good smell, to be honest, a bit like how a really good cheese can smell really unappetizing. Tuna? Wet hay? I don't know, it smells bad to me. Hopefully the taste will make up for it, like a funky cheese.

Taste- malty, fruity, and dry. Very, very dry. The alcohol ads some bite to the mouthfeel, and some heat to the spice profile. The main flavors are sugar, alcohol, and a hint of fruit and spices. Swallow is clean, with a dry, tart, sweet apple flavor. Aftertaste is surprisingly hoppy.

Mouthfeel- crisp, light, full body, easy on the swallow. All around pretty good.

Drinkability- pretty good.

To be honest, I am a bit let down by this beer. I really enjoyed the Westmalle Dubbel last night, and was looking forward to their triple tonight, but I find it to be a much more simple, less deep and interesting beer, which isn't terrible in and of itself, but it does leave me feeling a bit let down. The bottle says best before 2010, so I don't think that is the issue here.

Upon edit: the more I drink this, the less I like it. After my review, I read some other reviews, I have none of the complex, nice flavors or aromas that other people mention, and frankly, not much positive flavor or aroma at all. To me, this is like a cheap, sparkling white wine. Dry and sweet all at once, with too much of both and no real balance. I would prefer this to a Bud Light or something, but there are any number of good beers I would rather spend my money on than this.

Hate to bash a Trappist, but this is really lacking, IMO.

3.42/5  rDev -20.5%

A: Pours a pale, passionfruit-like yellow with 1 finger of off-white head that doesn't make a point of sticking around long or leaving much lacing in its wake. Sediment seems to be unavoidable, as it was allowed to settle and warm on the counter and still managed to give me a chunky looking beer.

S: Some light fruits make themselves apparent, along with a little bit of an herbal hop presence that I would describe as somewhat musky. The alcohol really comes through on the nose also.

T: Mildly hoppy, some light grains and light fruits make an appearance, but I'm having trouble getting any standout flavors here. Once again, the alcohol seems to take this beer over, ruining any chances it might have had at leaving any kind of lasting impression.

M: The mouth feel is probably the best aspect of this beer, I found it to be somewhat thick and creamy, nice light carbonation, and very very smooth going down. Nice.

D: I'd maybe have another one, but I don't think I'd buy this again. It's drinkable enough, but as Tripels go, you can do much better things with your money.

3.89/5  rDev -9.5%

A. Slightly pale hazy (even after the beer settled it seemed there was still suspended sediment) yellow, very little head that dissipated rather quickly.

S. A very upfront alcohol smell, also an acidic citrus smell.

T. First taste had a strong sharpness with a light fruity profile and a light hoppy finish.

M. Crisp, light almost a creamy delicate beer with some body.

D. It was a good beer not extremely drinkable not something you have to force down. I'd personally drink 2 or 3 of these and enjoy every moment.

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%

11.2oz bottle

A- Poured into a chalice, this one is stunning. Pours a golden yellow color with a little bit of orange with a huge creamy off-white head that possesses excellent retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is very fruity with hints of citrus and spices. Wow, what a fantastic aroma!

T- The taste like the aroma is absolutely amazing. There is some fruity malts and spices galore with a little bit of yeast and hops in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel has a really nice body with a perfect amount of carbonation.

D- What an awesome beer this is! Westmalle Tripel is probably the best beer from this style I've ever had. Highly Recommended!

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle