2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

pDev: 10%

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,201 | Reviews: 1,555 | Show All Ratings:
steelerguy

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

A - Opened and it was a gusher, had been sitting in refrigerator for over a week and was opened like normal. Lost about 3 oz. of beer. Poured with a two finger head, extremely cloudy, with lots of yeast and junk floating in it. Extremely carbonated, most carbonated beer I have ever had.

S - Clean pilsner malt smell, slightly sweet aroma with some phenolic spice.

T - Some residual sweetness, very spicy phenolics, alcohol, with a somewhat tart and harsh finish.

M - Too carbonated, I like a nice carbonated Trippel but this was ridiculous. Light and dry when you can get past the C02 assaulting your mouth.

D - One was more than enough for me.

I can't even describe how disappointed I was in this beer. I was expecting something extraordinary and what I got more like a decent home brew Belgian Strong Ale. I have two more and am hoping that this was just a bad one. I have never had a gusher like this and the over carbonation was just insane. This can't be the same beer everyone loves so much, especially since I really like Belgians!

04-29-2009 23:47:45 | More by steelerguy
Anthony1

Colorado

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

The aroma is a little sour at first, but soon turns to a milder, Duvel-like aroma of creamy pale malts. The flavor is sweeter and maltier than the other big Trappist tripel, Chimay White. There's a bit of farmhouse funk in the malt, and drop of candy and caramel. It finishes with an obscured hops flavor that's grapefruit-y, but buried under the malt. Overall, I don't think the flavor is that amazing. Yes, it is quite nice, but not my favorite tripel. The carbonation is spot on, but a hint of alcohol detracts from it.

08-09-2010 16:38:35 | More by Anthony1
mgdeth

Montana

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%

Appearance - Beautiful golden color, slightly hazy, very fizzy. Good head retention.

Smell - The nose has a sort of a breezy sweetness, with a subtle spiciness in the background.

Taste - The initial taste is an appley sweetness followed by an alcoholic hotness. I also detect a fruitiness common to many ales. This beer is not as spicy as other tripels I have tried. It is also just not as tasty as other tripels.

Mouthfeel - Solid body, but not thick or overwhelming. A little deceptive, given the 9.5% alcohol.

Drinkability - The alcohol detracts a little from the beer's drinkability, but it is still very good overall.

Comments - Maybe I missed something about this beer, but I do not think it is as great as the rankings appear.

10-31-2005 02:19:04 | More by mgdeth
TehAnkh

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%

A: Pours a pale, passionfruit-like yellow with 1 finger of off-white head that doesn't make a point of sticking around long or leaving much lacing in its wake. Sediment seems to be unavoidable, as it was allowed to settle and warm on the counter and still managed to give me a chunky looking beer.

S: Some light fruits make themselves apparent, along with a little bit of an herbal hop presence that I would describe as somewhat musky. The alcohol really comes through on the nose also.

T: Mildly hoppy, some light grains and light fruits make an appearance, but I'm having trouble getting any standout flavors here. Once again, the alcohol seems to take this beer over, ruining any chances it might have had at leaving any kind of lasting impression.

M: The mouth feel is probably the best aspect of this beer, I found it to be somewhat thick and creamy, nice light carbonation, and very very smooth going down. Nice.

D: I'd maybe have another one, but I don't think I'd buy this again. It's drinkable enough, but as Tripels go, you can do much better things with your money.

02-06-2009 21:17:00 | More by TehAnkh
msquared36

3.39/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bright yellow gold with a crisp white, billowing head. One of the softest foams I've ever seen, leaving thick lacing down the glass.

Scent is yeasty with a hint a sweetness and alcohol.

Taste is malty and sharp. A little sweetness and alcohol, similar to the smell.

Nice refreshing carbonation yet still smooth.

Complex but drinkable.

02-15-2014 22:39:41 | More by msquared36
TheHammer

Ontario (Canada)

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

This will be my second Trappist Ale, I just wanted something a bit high class for today. Sadly, once again the second I popped the top on this one, it overflowed. Ahh well, I poured in into a Chalice onto the review.

Appearance: As I said, the bottle overflowed when it was opened, so I was in a bit of a rush to pour. A solid thumb of sustaining but not lacing head was the result. The beer's body has very fine carbonation hidden within it's cloudy yellow depths. There is quite a lot of yeast sediment with this one, especially near the bottom of the glass.

Smell: You can very clearly smell the alcohol as it is clearly dominant and is in need of being reigned in. Smells more like a white wine then a beer, as grapes and notes of apricots, orange peel and yeast are in the background.

Taste: Once again, you can clearly notice the high alcohol content, which is hurting this beer for me. Starts with a sweeter, calm sweet malt an fruity taste that builds into somewhat excessively strong crescendo as yeast and sour apples make thier presence know. It is then abruptly silenced by a strong alcohol presence which itself is reigned in somewhat by earthy and herbal hops.

Mouthfeel: Well the aftertaste doesn't linger, which is good. The carbonation, makes it's presence known throughout the beer. However, the high alcohol content isn't masked very well as it offers a bit of a acidic solvent feeling.

Drinkability: I dunno, I can't see wanting more then one of these at a time. The sour and sweet elements don't mesh that well, the high alcohol content doesn't make for good sessioning, and honestly is more of a wine then a beer. That and the high carbonation is causing a bit of belching.

Final Thoughts: I'll be honest, I'm disappointed by this beer. That is probably because I'm not much of a wine drinker, and this beer drinks more like a wine. In this case, I feel that too much effort went into making this beer a "high class" beer and it just isn't doing anything for me. I mean, it's ok and I'd take it if it were offered (although I somehow doubt that would be the case) but I can't in good faith, score it that highly.

Edit: <Whoops, forgot to talk about the appearance>

11-22-2009 01:33:01 | More by TheHammer
jneiswender

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. Served cool.

A-fluffy white head, gold almost roan cloudy body.

S-slight vegetable, yeast, clove spice

T-some cotton candy, slight boozy warmth, coarse hop (medicinal)

M-medium and very fizzy

D-This was a nice beer that I would have again but I have to say it was somewhat coarse. Maybe it was an old bottle or something like that but it certainly was rougher than what I expected.

09-24-2010 23:38:31 | More by jneiswender
RandomExile

Maryland

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Hazy, light amber or pale gold depending on lighting, full light head, vanishes in just a few minutes, little persistent lacing
S: Sharp, yeast, orange
T: Slightly sweet, astringent, tangy, alcohol, yeasty, orange, herbal
M: Mild bite, medium-bodied, slightly dry finish
O: Significantly more "chemically" than I expect from a Trappist ale. Ok, but with a strange taste.

750mL / $14.99

11-01-2013 05:04:34 | More by RandomExile
funkengruven

Ontario (Canada)

3.35/5  rDev -22.1%

This beer poured to a quickly forming slowly dissipating white head. Smell is smoky and woody, quite nice actually. Taste is not terrible but rather harsh, as reflected in it's rather high ABV. mouthfeel is equally as harsh, the high ABV is once again. This beer is to be sipped and savored, overall not too bad but at the same time hard to swallow. Not something to be consumed in excess, but something to enjoy every now and again in small quantities.

12-17-2005 04:13:06 | More by funkengruven
cracgor

3.35/5  rDev -22.1%

Okay so I picked up a 750 ml of this one because it happened to be the exact same price as 12 fl oz. Go figure. It pours out nicely. Amber body with a frothy, pillowy white head. Could appear more carbonated, but the head remains thick and tall the entire time I drink this. The smell is earthy and grassy. A little sugary, but not anything for me to complain or boast about too eagerly. The taste is pretty average though. It is not particularly special as far as the style goes. The alcohol shines out a little too much. Overall, it is an earthy, yeasty, grassy flavor. No real deep complexity to talk about. It makes for an average medium mouthfeel. Surprisingly not as alcohol warming as I might expect from the flavor. Drinkability is decent, but because there are so many excellent members of the style available, I can't give it high marks in this category.

12-17-2005 07:49:05 | More by cracgor
elricorico

Alberta (Canada)

3.35/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours a pale golden colour with an abundance of foamy white head. Lots of visible carbonation and good head retention.

The smell is dominated by candy sugar and alcohol spiciness. Some citrus base, and a touch of soapy aroma in there as well.

First impression is that this is a sweet and fruity ale, with a notable alcohol finish, though the alcohol waits until the bitter end to show itself. As I drink further, alcohol becomes more and more the defining taste. Fruity citrus flavours up front that can't quite keep up with the alcohol burn of the finish.

The mouthfeel is pretty good, light but not watery, with just a bit of stickiness to it. Well carbonated but not abrasive.

Drinkability suffers from the alcohol burn, but it isn't bad in the end. A decent triple, but I wouldn't call it one of my favorites.

06-23-2006 02:32:16 | More by elricorico
Mudpuppet

3.35/5  rDev -22.1%

A- Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Ommegang chalice. Pours a Golden color, nearly straw. Very light head.

S- Very light nose on this one. Some wheat and malts.

T- Orange and citrus flavors. Also that signature Belgian yeast flavor.

M- Medium carbonation on this one.

D- Not an incredible tripel but very drinkable and tasty.

01-14-2008 19:36:48 | More by Mudpuppet
cproioi

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured a light golden hazy color with a white head that left decent lacing. Slight carbonation is also present in the appearance. It had faint hints of hops in the smell, but the aroma was largely made up of malts and yeast. The taste was largely malts and yeast. Very sweet taste. It boasted a thin-medium body with carbonation bubbles jumping across my tounge. No real hints of any alcohol content.

Pretty good. Possible my favorite Trappist Tripel I have had to date. Went down nice and had a highly refreshing finish.

08-13-2006 23:40:53 | More by cproioi
beveritt

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%

Presentation: Poured from an 11.2oz brown bottle into a Duvel chalice. The bottle is short and stubby, with a raised ring of glass aorund the neck. The side of the label has places to motch a date, years and months, but nothing is notched. Imprinted on the back is the date 03/01/08. I assume that is a drink by date.

Appearance: Pours with about 1 inch of almost pure white head. This settles slowly, leaving a ring aorund the glass and a decent skim coating of foam. Lots of lacing. The beer itself is a beautiful honey color and very hazy.

Smell: A subtle sweet smell, citrusy and somewhat syrupy. Definite wheat tang. Slight smell of molasses or brown sugar.

Taste: Alcohol taste is fairly strong, maybe it would settle with some aging. Sweet malt undertones, with a bitter fruit aftertaste, not really pleasant. A slight hint of honey.

Mouthfeel: Average level of carboantion. A great creamy finish.

Drinkability: A little bit disappointed. The appearance is great and the smell is pretty good. The taste however, I found unpleasantly bitter, not a hop bitterness, but an unripe fruit finish. Maybe this would benefit from some aging. Something I will definitely revisit.

02-06-2007 21:34:42 | More by beveritt
bark

Sweden

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%

The colour is orange-yellow; the liquid hazy. The high white compact head slowly sinks down to a fine lid, leaving lots of lacing.

The strong smell is yeasty and very sweet. Fruity sour notes of apples and pineapples. I noted some alcohol and a hint of marzipan.

The taste is sweet with notes of nuts and exotic fruits. Some citric-sour bitter hints and a mild yeasty flavour. Complex notes of dough, lime peels, apricots and plums. Some alcohol in the aftertaste, as notes of exotic fruits, dough and bitter herbs.

The carbonation is mild; small bubbles. The liquid is smooth and sticky.

Well... A triple above average. But not much more.

11-15-2008 21:17:19 | More by bark
phisig137

3.3/5  rDev -23.3%

Bottle dated best by 9-20-07, pours a very hazy light gold color, with a three finger head. Falls quickly into a ring around the glass, leaving almost no lacing. Looks reminicent of a Hefe.

Aroma is full of grain and yeasty esters. Fresh bread is backed by a huge aroma of fresh apples, and a hint of strawberries. No alcohol present here. But also no spice, which I look for in a triple.

Flavor is well balanced, again with a strong apple character, with a bit of banana, and malty sweetness. No spicy yeast seems present here. No alcohol again. Flavorful, but not huge. Mouthfeel is creamy and full, and drinkability is quite good.

Good beer overall, but lacks a lot of the qualities of a triple that I look for. Not bad at all, just not all that great either.

09-07-2006 02:47:25 | More by phisig137
AdamMY

3.3/5  rDev -23.3%

I far preferred the Dubbel to the Tripel, The appearance was cloudy, and a bit uninspiring. The smell was nice but mostly oranges and pears, while the taste was quite nice tasting of oranges and cream, but slightly heavy on the Hops. The mouthfeel and drinkability were definitely below par.

03-01-2011 02:07:41 | More by AdamMY
merlin48

Kentucky

3.28/5  rDev -23.7%

11.2 oz bottle served at cellar temperature into a St Bernardus goblet. Pours a clear, honey gold with a billowy, ivory head that retains well, and leaves classic Belgian sheet lacing behind. Nice aroma of bananas, cloves, and alcohol. Mouthfeel has fizzy carbonation and hard alcohol bite. Alcohol hits the palate immediately, without any disguise. Not good. Hop and yeasty bitterness dominate the taste. At room temperature, some banana and pear tastes struggle to emerge, but don't really arrive. I found this Tripel difficult to finish, as the taste is all unpleasant bitterness and overwhelming alcohol. Maybe the yeasts got out of whack in this bottle, but it's the first Belgian Tripel I didn't like. Very ho-hum.

02-20-2004 03:12:11 | More by merlin48
JackStraw22

3.28/5  rDev -23.7%

First off, this beer has easily the largest head I"ve ever seen on a beer, big white, fluffy, foam. Good retention, some lacing too. Cloudy, deep gold body with lots of bubbles. I like the aroma, very sweet, but a light sweetness. I hint of floral hops hiding in there too. Can really taste the alcohol in this, a little too much. It has a very dry finish, that actually leaves me thirsty. Doesn't taste as sweet as it smells

01-20-2005 02:56:09 | More by JackStraw22
RedHaze

Nebraska

3.28/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured a light amber color with a thick white head with lots of lacing. Looks great.

Smelled of bananas, alcohol and slightly grassy with some cloves.

Taste of bananas, cloves, yeast, phenol. Everything was on more of the mild side. Was expected more full flavors from this one. Mouthfeel was a bit thinner that I expected, and I could really taste the alcohol.

Not quite as good as I thought it would be, not sure if this sat out in the light to long. I liked the dubbel more. Still a good beer.

08-20-2005 02:37:06 | More by RedHaze
joshuadlight

3.28/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured into a Chimay goblet and had to slow down to keep the head contained, it practically jumped out of the glass. Golden yellow, head is white and not all that sticky.
Fruity sweetness along with some earthy notes in the nose. However, I got way too much funkiness and sourness combined with a weird bitterness in the flavor. I know this is a world class beer with tons of history, but this Tripel just isn't for me. I was able to drink the whole thing without a problem, but I don't think I'll be going down this road again.

03-26-2009 13:42:40 | More by joshuadlight
deeplennon

Washington

3.25/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours nicely with an appetizing golden appearance. Aroma is possibly Saaz with some alcohol, and is good not great.

Taste has too much alcohol for me with not nearly enough sweet to balance. Very dry overall. Yeast character seems funky, though that could be the hops (again Saaz?) what it is is definitely a spicy characteristic that I want to attribute to the yeast. The amount of fruity yeast esters is lacking for the style.

While far from terrible I really don't like the flavor balance of this beer which leans too far towards alcohol. Might be my least favorite triple of the trappist and major abbey brands. Has always seemed overrated to me.

06-25-2007 06:45:19 | More by deeplennon
Crosling

Colorado

3.23/5  rDev -24.9%

Light Gold. Dry, spicy and very yeasty aroma with scents of sweet fruity pale malts, herbs, bubble gum, lemon, tropical fruits, and noble hops. Strong bubble gum notes continue on towards the flavor profile, especially on the finish, along with notes of cotton candy, lemon and fruit. A nice beer. But there are so many better example of the style.

03-27-2006 01:18:34 | More by Crosling
OKCNittany

Oklahoma

11.2 oz bottle into a Chimay goblet

A: Poured a 1/2" white head that thinned to a coating. Minimal lacing. Deep dark golden body.

S: Spicy aroma. A bit hoppy as well. Alcohol appears as it warms.

T: Not as sweet as expected. Alcohol a bit too present. Complex - spicy w/ coriander, pepper, and more, plus tart fruit and yeast, with a hoppy finish.

M: High carbonation. Medium body, but very dry. Also, a minimal alcohol burn.

D: The alcohol is too pronounced to allow me to drink too many. It's a bit too bitter as well.

I'm not a huge tripel fan, but I do enjoy them. Considering the ratings of this one, I was disappointed.

07-28-2007 03:55:44 | More by OKCNittany
champ103

3.23/5  rDev -24.9%

A: This pours a lovely cloudy golden/orange color. A huge foamy head forms and leaves tons of sticky lace down my snifter.
S: A very strong aroma, but I don't find it very appealing. It is fruity with a bit of apricot, but it is also very pungent and funky.
T: Very tart, sweet, and kind of syrupy. Alcohol comes through as the beer warms. This is not the best tasting triple I have ever had.
D: The high alcohol content comes through and makes this hard to drink.

Overall, an average triple. This is not my favorite example of the style, but it is still worth a try.

01-25-2008 05:48:45 | More by champ103