Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,639 | Hads: 4,150
3.59/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this one at my Beer Club meeting where we sampled almost every available Trappist Beer, so some tough competition that night. Even with that said, this one tasted a bit flat and one-dimensional compared to the Westmalle Dubbel, so between the two, and for the same price, I'd go for the other. Still though, a pretty damn tasty beer, if you can get a good deal. (369 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

Appearance: Huge, bubbly, dense bright-white head on a hazy, burnt/dirty gold colored beer. Lively carbonation without being effervescent. Big chunks of lacing. Retention is crazy.

Smell: Banana, ester, spicy Belgian yeast, and some sweet pale malts. Bready and snappy. Big ripe fruit with apple coming through the back. Nice building clove spiciness. Backing alcohol. Vaguely waxy.

Taste: Clove laced banana and esters. Belgian yeast for days. Ripe banana, apple skin, clove spiciness with some bubblegum thrown in for good measure. Earthy and slightly dirty. Building alcohol warmth as the beer warms. Bready. So much yeast. Pale malts add some sweetness. Toasted malt backing is unique. Cloyingly Belgian. Raw honey edge. Phenolic, especially as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Relatively light with a solid, yet moderate carbonation. Lingering spiciness coupled with a moderate dryness.

Overall: Find "yeast bomb" in the dictionary. It's a picture of this beer.

So much yeast it's distracting. Each sip is a sharp punch of yeast aggression. Nice malts and carbonation make it drinkable, but the yeast hits so hard for so long it loses out overall. (1,145 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a very light, but very hazed yellow colour, with an extremely voluminous head of crackling whit bubbles. Some dissipation as the head collapses, but the lacing is reasonably good, sticking in the same patterns as the large bubbles cracked. Lots of streaming carbonation, but that gives it rather a refined look. Looks very decent overall.

Nose is rather bready, but with a good, slightly funky crushed citrus leaf character. Plenty of Belgian yeas, but a lot of refreshment to be had throughout, and a little bit of classic spice and phenolics to remind you of the style. Very decent.

Taste is sharp and peppery, and extremely phenolic on the finish, with a big bitterness that wells up throughout. Front is thin with a slight yeast overtone, before the phenolic spice comes through with a vengeance. Feel is very light, but gets cut with the astringency on the back.

Wow, compared to the St Bernardus I had earlier in the evening, this is a far more raw and far harsher beer, and it suffers for it. Not a huge amount of complexity, and a ragingly raw back palate that truly hurts drinkability. As much as I'm reviewing it, I know it's not my place to tell the Trappist monks what to do, but this was not my cup of tea. There are other examples I've enjoyed a whole lot more.

It's not a bad beer by any means, but it's below the baseline for the style in my opinion. (1,376 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

Served in corked-and-caged 1 PT 9.4 FL OZ bottle. Bottled on 16/11/10. Poured into chalice.

A- Glowing light orange body. Incredibly cloudy. Pour reveals 1 1/2 fingers of fizzy head that dissipates quickly.

S- Banana bread and orange peel form the base. Sharp notes of pepper and clean alcohol. Unsure of where this one is going.

T- Bananas, grapefruit and some other bitter citrus esters. Alcohol. The yeast is lively and spicy, as opposed to the bread-y taste one might expect. Not a mild taste. The alcohol is not hidden. A fair amount of pepper and spice. Bitter and slightly metallic in transition, and a bit medicinal. Some pine-y hops come at the close.

M- Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Finish is very dry.

O- I know this beer is pretty much universally lauded, but I found it to be just OK. It does have a stronger, more complex taste than many tripels. Not bad, but I'd take a Chimay White or a LFDM over this any day. (950 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -16.4%

Gold in colour with a floatie or two, and well carbonated. Pleasing aromas of MacIntosh apple, pear, and a bit of spicy yeast. The fruit flavors become more lemon like on the palate, and mix well with the light malt and mild grassy hop notes. Surprisingly bitter finish, with notes of lemon rind at the end. A bit too dry for the style IMO (if that’s even possible). Not bad, but could be better. (397 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: A cloudy yellow, dark straw-like color. When poured slightly aggressively, the head was huge at nearly 4 fingers, but dissipated into a full glass lacing with about a centimeter of height. Nice to look at.

S: Twangy, fruity and alcoholic. Not the most inviting scent. Sweetness and fruits, a tidbit of hops.

T: Sweet, full-bodied and heavy on the banana. It's hoppy, but not reaching Pale Ale proportions. The most prominent taste here is the alcoholic blast, it's a pleasant burn...but for a Tripel, it could have been masked much better. It does seem to smoothen out and become more complex as the beer warms, great taste by the time you're 2/3rds finished.

M: It is thick in your mouth, creamy as well.

D: Not so good on the drinkability, the alcohol can be harsh...overall I'd easily drink a few of these, but not something I can claim to drink all night. (866 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle poured into a 14.9oz goblet.

A - After a long, tedious pour, this brew literally yields a mountain of frothy white foam for a head. Once in the glass, I'm left with a hazy, pale-golden beer with small bubbles of lively carbonation flowing up the glass. Fantastic rocky head retention and decent enough lacing.

S - Sometimes smelling a beer through a thick, dense head after the pour can be a bit off putting, but it doesn't look like this head is leaving any time soon... The aroma I get is rather peculiar however. Lots of pale barley malt and bready wheat, with some apricot, pear, peach, honey, and light grassy hops. The yeast presence is minimal and the spices seem to be completely AWOL. What I'm left with is a simple but fragrant aroma, with an understated sweetness. Almost reminds me of a blonde ale, or dare I say it, some sort of imperial lager...

T - Much like the aroma, a pronounced backbone of both pale barley malt and bready wheat leads the way, with subtleties sprinkled on top. Apricot and peach flavors are nice and some slight honey and candi sugar notes add some sweetness. Gets more and more bready as it warms. The finish is where this one gets strange for me, and seems to be quite out of style. The usual spice on would expected from a tripel is toned way, way down, and this coming from a guy who doesn't usually care for the spice in tripels. Next up, the hop presence is overdone for the style, with some borderline herbal notes coming through. And lastly, and worst of all, I'm left with the overbearing flavor and warmth of alcohol in the finish. I definitely did not expect this from such a highly rated beer, and a Trappist one at that. The flavor profile just feels muted and even boring, and the alcohol is just too obvious for only 9.50% ABV. Still a half decent brew, but nowhere near the reputation it carries.

M - Medium bodied, with a touch too much carbonation. A little sticky, but really quite oily and warming. Not so good.

D - Definitely a different tripel than most, but this just isn't for me. The profile feels too simple and uninteresting and the blatant alcohol presence just kills it for me. Brewing a tripel that doesn't rely heavily on spicy and yeasty qualities seems like a fair enough idea, but don't make it 9.50% ABV with no significant flavors to mask the alcohol. (2,342 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

a - pours a beautiful yellow orangish color with an inch head
s - fruity with a hint of pepper
t - start peppery upfront thin settles quickly into a fruity (pear, grapefruit) dry finish, lingering after taste of grapes
m - feels great with a lot going on, good carbonation up front
d- this is a very drinkable beer and i didn't taste as much alcohol as I thought by the abv, but one should sip a slow pace or it might bite you

I have seen this beer available at tons of stores nowadays. (495 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -16.9%

Just picked up the Westmalle gift pack that included 3 Tripels and 3 Dubbels plus a beautiful looking chalice that will probably rival my Duvel tulip, I just know it.

A- Pours a golden honey with a fingers width of white head. No real lacing to speak of which is disappointing although the thin cap that remains on top of the body is a plus.

S- Much mellower than I'm use to with Tripels. The first thing I picked up on was bananna peels followed by a fruity sweetness. Bready yeast in the background.

T- Different from the smell. I get a lot of bubblegum flavor and some spice. Sour apple bitterness in the aftertaste mixed with alcohol.

M- I found the body to be lighter than usual for a tripel and the carbonation was a bit to much. Finish is dry and the alcohol really sits in the mouth for awhile.

D- Although this isn't my favorite style, I just didn't think it stacked up against some of the other tripels I've had. I wanted to enjoy it because I really love trappist beers, but there is definitely better options out there IMO. (1,040 characters)

11.2 oz bottle poured into St. Bernardus chalice

Golden hazy yellow, much like a hefeweizen or Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde.

Three finger head that was reduced in ten minutes, and disappeared after twenty minutes.

S: Barley, alcohol, and wheat

T: Wheat and barley malts, hop bitterness, and a subtle bite

M: Heavy, but not as heavy as some Russian Imperial Stouts or some other Belgians

Overall, this is a beer with a prestigious name that I would not seek out due to both price and the fact that I didn't care for it that much. (534 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -17.1%

Appearance is a cloudy, blonde with vigorous carbonation and a thick, white, foamy head. Smell is of the typical champagne-like yeasty aroma associated with many Belgian ales out there; mild and sweet. Taste is sweet with a definite citrus flavor that, unlike other reviewers, I wasn't able to detect in this beer's aroma. Taste was good, but not as flavorful as I had anticipated; still a very good beer however. Mouthfeel is warming and alcoholic with crisp carbonation. Overall, a very good brew that is easily drinkable. (524 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -17.1%

Appearance: yellowish-gold hue with a tantalizing layer of pure-white head (creamy on top and spongey beneath), slight haziness, some varied-size bubbles rising quickly

Aroma: a big bloom of banana and malt initially, then clove and a bit of cotton candy, wisps of alcohol, bubble-gum, isopropyl

Flavor: peppery alcohol flavor is dominant (like a stiff drink!); the alcohol blooms in the palate and sort of disappears, leaving: a grainy maltiness and some over-ripe pear fruitiness followed by a terse bitter taste (not so sure if it's from hops, though); the finish is pretty dry with the bitterness lingering long in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium body, champagne-like carbonation, lots of alcohol warmth (717 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Hazy yellow pour into my St. Bernardus goblet with about a finger of white head. Large bubbly lacing runs down the side of the glass for only a fleeting moment before plunging back into the beer.

S: The aroma is full of clove and bananas, some booze, Belgian yeast and candied sugar. Pretty typical of a tripel, balanced, but not overly impressive.

T: The taste is really spicy and fruity. The booze is nowhere to be found, and the typical warming alcohol feeling seems to be missing, which is really surprising considering the ABV. Very sweet, the taste seems to be just not up to par with other Tripels I've had.

MF: A bit over carbonated with a light body. Dry finish.

O: This was good, and a pretty decent baseline for the style, but it just didn't blow me away. It just seemed too plain. (799 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -17.3%

Color was a very light yellow with a slightly hazed appearance. Inch and a quarter high white head was pillow like and took a few minutes to fade. Tiny sized bubbles were in abundance. Lacing in rings.

Very sweet fruit aromas. Bananas, peaches and cherries are blended with strength in that order. Earthy yeast is light against the sweetness. Almost nothing bitter to detect.

Sweet taste with a very strong plastic presence. This had an apple taste hidden behind the initial flavor. Despite the fruit, this one falls short of expectation from the aroma.

Decent feel on the sides of the tongue. Carbonation tingles for a while on all surfaces.

Overall a decent brew. This one would work with a plate of lamb kabobs. A solid beer, that pales when compared to others in the style. Try it if you get a chance, but look for others to rule the style. (857 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -17.6%

This first thing I noticed right away with this one was a monstrous banana smell. There may very well be bananas in this one. A bit of cloves. Cloudy yellow orange in colour. Thin fizzy head than hangs around for a bit. Par for the course with Belgians. You know the drill. As much as it pains me to say so, this stuff really has a bitterness to it that I just totally do not care for. Very disappointed indeed. I have been looking forward to tasting this for quite some time now. The texture, or mouthfeel, is quite nice. Smooth and just heavy enough for the style. Again, I don't know what the hell is going on with the taste, but it seems offensively bitter. I am, however, just now getting over a sickness that has incapacitated me for last four days or so. Perhaps my sense of smell and taste are still a bit impaired. I certainly hope so. I should re-review this in about a week or so. Until then, tonights review stands. (927 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -17.8%

11.2oz bottle poured into a chalice.

Pours a nice light golden color with a big fat fluffy head that dies down a bit. Nose is light, very yeasty and sweet, very light and it has a bit of hoppy.

Mouthfeel is very sharp and very carbonated, it's light and smooth quite tasty. it kind of blows up in your mouth and fills it with flavor. Taste is not nearly as boozy as you'd expect given the abv. overall I'd say it's one of the better trappist beers I've had. (459 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A- Dark orange with a bright white head. Nice a frothy, 2 finger head that died to a nice pinky's worth. Very murky and sediment rich. Looks the style.

S- malty, bready, spicey, & earthy. Has the nice Belgian yest strain smell. Also has a dark fruit quality. Slightly juicy as well, like grapefruit. Primarily spicy and malty. Very inviting.

T- Very spicy with an undertone of some kind of herbal quality as well. Has that Belgian funky yeast flavor, but only minimally sour. The sweetness accentuates the yeast character well.

M- Medium to full, but on the medium side. Very dry. Finish is malty and sweet before it dries. Its very spiced at the end.

Overall its a decent beer at best. It's not a Belgian beer I'd rush to the store to buy. It was almost one dimensional in its spiced/ herbal character. I'd like to see a larger yeast quality and more sour notes. But this is a decent beer overall. (905 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -17.8%

Presentation: Poured from a 330ml Westmalle bottle into a Westmalle chalice glass.

A: This beer pours a beautiful 1 finger head into the very wide-mouthed Westmalle chalice-style glass, and recedes slowly. There is always a layer of carbonation/head on the top which I find to be a good thing. There is minimal lacing if any at all.

S: I can't really get a lot from the smell of this beer, but a slight skunkiness maybe, and some sour/bitter apple comes through as well. I think I would have preferred it in a Duvel glass actually.

T: This beer is extremely peppery. I really compare this to La Fin Du Monde because for me that beer does an excellent job of balancing sweetness and pepperiness, but the Westmalle is way over the top in the pepperiness side. For those looking to drink a less sweet tripel though, this is probably right up your alley. I just didn't prefer it. There was also a light fruity taste that I couldn't put my finger on, but was more in the aftertaste than up front. The pepper just seems to cover everything.

M: This beer is also too carbonated. It is one of the best palate cleansers I have had which is good, but it is just too dry and overcarbonated for my tastes.

D: I have only had this one twice, and each time I am left not wanting another. I enjoyed the first one I had, and respect this beer for what it is but for me I don't ever see myself drinking more than one.

Overall Westmalle tripel is a complete departure from almost every other tripel I have had in that it is extremely dry, very peppery both times I have had it, but drinking through the first bottle is definitely not a chore. I will definitely get this again, but I don't think I would drink more than one in a night. I also would choose several others in the style over the Westmalle. Even if Westmalle was as cheap as some other offerings (which it isn't, it's one of the most expensive tripels out there) I still think I would pick others over it regularly.

Highly recommended as I know some love this beer, but not my favorite. (2,037 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -17.8%

A - pours a mellow orange. Has a cloudy, unfiltered look. Nice head retention with noticeable lattice.

S - Boozy and peppery. Small hint of citrus, mostly lemon. Overall a complex bouquet, but not very strong

T - Spicy. We almost tasted vanilla, but very faint. It was juicy, but still a very dry-tasting beer. Not very sweet.

M - High carbonation with a silky feel. Left us salivating between sips. Lots of complexity here. Our favorite part. (446 characters)

Westmalle- Trappist Tripel

Appearance- cloudy golden yellow with a thick creamy white whipped cream head.
Smell- Light banana and sugar.
Mouthfeel- Sweet candy sugar with a mild banana flavor.
Mouthfeel- This is where the beer goes down hill! At first the flavor hits you but quckly it transforms into a bitter alcohol laden taste. It sits in the back of your throat, bleech.

Overall- A good looking smelling and even tasting beer, but the aftertaste is just bleeech! (476 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18%

Poured from a 330 ml bottle.

Colour is a tone lighter than of honey's, with lots of bubbles.
Smells of fruit, banana and bubblegum.

Tastes good, fruity, with the alcohol present at the end of the sip.

Medium bodied and medium carbonated.

Overall I found it average, I don't get all the praiseful reviews. (309 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18%

Aroma of citrus fruit, possibly orange. Nice underlying sweetness in the aroma. Highly caromanted and a pale gold in color with a white head. Candi sugar flavor and some orange on the tongue. Smooth drinking with a medium body. Overall quite pleasant. (251 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18%

Westmalle Tripel, 22oz bomber: To celebrate Tom Boonen’s victory in the biggest Belgian sporting event (the Tour of Flanders), I popped the cork on one of Beer Advocate’s most highly rated Tripels, the Westmalle Trappist Tripel. While Tom Boonen’s victory for Belgium was fantastic, the Westmalle Tripel was not. No head developed, the aroma was thin and while the flavor was OK with tones of honey and almonds, there was not the complexity I was expecting from such a highly rated beer. The Westmalle Tripel was caramel in color and very hazy. The last glass from the bottle was near brown in color and thick with particulates. So maybe this bottle came from the bottom of the barrel, and not up to snuff. There were two dates on the label 7/1/2008 and 7/1/2010. I do not know what these dated referred to, but this bottle was purchased on 3/2012 and tasted on 4/2012, so another reason for the lackluster performance may be the age of this bottle. Anyway, I need to call them as I taste them, so the Westmalle will get a low score and one disappointed fan. (1,064 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours pale amber with a ridiculously large head despite very careful and slow pouring.
Bready yeast dominates the aroma, with some white wine, soft alcohol and sweet clean malt showing underneath. That doughy yeast is way too strong!
Flavours are pretty sweet! Add to that the very noticeable alcohol and you end up with a extremely cloying beer. In the background there's more of that overwhelming yeast and it all ends with a sharp finish that seems to be from the alcohol rather than the bitterness. (502 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

It poured a golden yellow colour, slightly cloudy (though the bulk of the sediment remained in the bottle). Some of the sediment is persistently suspended. The head was voluminous, snow white, and cleared within a few minutes in my goblet leaving a thick lacing.

The aroma is decidedly hoppy. Fresh citrusy smells dominate, with some grassy and honey aromas also present.

While it's in my mouth, the flavour is pleasantly but decidedly bitter all around the back of my tongue, and even onto the back of my palate. There is also a little sweetness. Spicy cloves come through, some bitter orange peel, along with a touch of banana. Yeast is present, and probably stronger than it should be (next time I'll let it settle even longer). Mild malt flavours build over time.

In the mouth, it feels smooth and light, with a pleasant warming effect. Light carbonation and the bitter taste let it feel quite sharp, which really masks the alcohol to devastating effect. Oy.

Overall, I find the bitter aftertaste to dominate a little too heavily, and it detracts from the drinkability quite a bit. I'm nearly finished the bottle, and I swear I've just been chewing on orange peels. Still, there are lots of interesting flavours to ferret out here, and it's enjoyable while I'm drinking it. I'd have it again. (1,310 characters)

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle