Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,659 | Hads: 4,221
3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

Cloudy brownish orange color with floating yeast particles, has a foamy off white head that clings to my glass. Bready yeasty aroma of bananas. Sweet and malty fruity flavors with a slight bubblegum yeasty taste. Medium-full body with a dry finish, alcohol taste comes out as it warms, I like the Dubbel a little better, a bit more balanced.

From: Premier Wine & Spirits

A: Pale yellow-orange body boasting three fingers of fluffy white head. Retention is great and leaves loads of lacing.

S: Light citrus fruits, spices and yeast. Quite plain.

T: Mild notes of spices, citrus, yeast and some sweet maltiness.

M: Light bodied and high carbonation. Very frothy texture and leaves a sweet spicy finish. Alcohol shows up on the way down, but it's not that noticeable.

D: Decent over all, but to mild and plain for my liking.

3.64/5  rDev -15%

Poured an extremely large, feather-light head. A hazy, straw colored body presents itself once the head dissipates.
The astringency and hoppiness present themselves in the aroma as onions and paint. It is such a lovely smell (sarcasm), and it is hard to get past it. There is a malt backbone, as well, but it is overwhelmed by the astringency and smell of alcohol.
Thank God you don't taste whats in the aroma. Alcohol is still there, but it isn't paint or onions. There is, however, a great balance between the hops and malts.
Mouthfeel is a bit syrapy, but still very good. The taste lasts just long enough on the tongue, without leaving any weird aftertastes. It is a good beer, but doesn't make you yearn to take another sip that great beers will do.

3.64/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Westmalle Tripel

Best By 05/09/14. Tulip glass.

A: Pours a straw-golden color with a finger of fluffy, airy, bright white head. The head slowly deflates, leaving behind a wall of intricate lacing. Very good retention, some champagne-like effervescence, but average clarity.

S: Fruity esters, candied stone fruit, floral and clove, a bit of smoke (?), honey-coated apple, and tasty sweetish malt.

T: Slightly fruity malt, floral and spice notes again, a Diet Coke-like flavor or sweetness that is beyond me. This has a muddled finish, with a sharp graphite/pencil off-taste (maybe the yeast) with some sugar.

M: High carbonation, soft, medium body. Alcohol is pretty well hidden.

O: I'm not sure what's going on with the flavor in this, but it's not really doing it for me. The aroma is quite appealing, though muted. I'm a little let down since this is supposed to be somewhat of a classic.

3.64/5  rDev -15%

[Best served in a Trappist glass]

Poured a medium murky yellow almost gold in color with a huge (3 to 4 fingers) white frothy head that was fully lasting and had excellent lacing.

The aroma was of light grain malts, a piney hop and a mild soapy yeast with notes of dried fruit, banana, clove and a mild dose of alcohol.

It tasted a bitter-sour with hints of banana and clove throughout then had a mild fruity flavor with a slight pepper note and a rather heavy alcohol tinge at the end. The flavor stayed with you for nice long time allowing one to enjoy this brew well after the swallow.

Mouthfeel was light to medium in body and had a dry texture with a mild to medium carbonation.

Overall this Tripel was kind of fruity with a nice spice note and had a good kick to it at the end. Very Tasty!!!

3.63/5  rDev -15.2%

On tap at the Cafe Trappisten across from the abbey. Pours a great-looking, slightly cloudy gold with a thick white head that gradually recedes into a film. Very nice lacing.

Smells of sugar, hops, light fruits, malt, and alcohol. This carries on to the taste, but the sugar ends up dominating, closely followed by the fruits (peaches, apples, apricots) and the alcohol, which is not masked very well at all. A bit of malt helps to balance it a bit, but it is still weighted heavilly towards a heady, sweet, alcohol character.

Mouthfeel is good and thick, with a creamy head. Slight carbonation and a bit of alcoholic bite--very interesting.

Overall a good beer, but too sweet to be anything other than an occasional sipper.

Sep 26, 2009
small bottle. pours a cloudy orange colour. definately a sipper, not a bad alc.% taste, but you can feel it running through you with each drink, it made me shiver, in a good way. Pretty solid beer overall. Definately worth another try if I come across it again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Seen this on shelves for years. Never bothered to buy a bottle (not a big fan of Tripels). But, suddenly ... for no reason whatsoever ... I felt the need to grab a bottle. Must be a weird planetary alignment.

Pours a hazy, lemony golden yellow. Quarter inch of soapy foam. Gobs of white stuff cling to the glass. Hurm.

Smells like sweet sweetness with a bit of yeast zest. Eh. Boring. Maybe a hint of honey to it.

Taste is honey-ed malt with a sweet malt base, some yeast, a tad bit of grassy zest, and a smattering of mineral crackers. A bit of lemon ... maybe some other citrus in there, kind of like an orange rind. It's okay. Kind of grew on me after awhile, but really not my cup o' tea.

Nicely carbonated. Pleasant enough, I suppose.

3.63/5  rDev -15.2%

I brought this beer to a sunday family dinner. Thanksgiving day style foods.
Even some family members who said " i don't like beer that much" enjoyed it very much! It was a great compliment to the food as well a nice lubricant to loosen everyone up.

We drank from pints (only beer glasses my mom had) and it poured very nice
a deep deep golden yellow orange with a few phases. It started darker then lightened up a bit. The head was white and light and I was pouring a little aggressively

The mouthfeel was normal but the the taste is what did it for me. Very good tasting beer especially with food. I am going to try this beer on it's own one day but it's a great dinner beer in my opinion

Taste was great. Strong alcohol presence (in a good way) with zest and spice. Dinner was great and after an hour an a few bottles my 86 year old grandfather was telling dirty jokes! We ALL enjoyed it!

3.62/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from 33 cl bottle.

Appearance: Murky light orange color with half finger of head.
Smell: Rich malty aroma, hints of apple and a whiff of alcohol.
Taste: Slight fruitness in the middle, otherwise the hop/carbination combo overpowers anythinge else.
Mouthfeel: Feels thin and wattery.
Drinkabitlity: Not my thing, could tone down the hops and have a slightly thicker body.

3.62/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a big white head that takes up half a tulip glass, then settles to a half inch of meringue. Body is dark yellow with some wit-like cloudiness. Smell is "clean," with a citrus and yeasty highlight. Alcohol is very upfront in the taste, and low level carbonation gives it an asti spumanti feel. Sweetness is vinous rather than malty. As others have suggested on the forums, this may be a hard style to understand. I certainly like it, but I keep expecting more of a "big beer" taste. But with this, I finally got to celebrate Easter with some beer made by monks (Oooh... I coulda had a Salvator, too!)

3.62/5  rDev -15.4%

The appearance is a very cloudy yellow orange with a tons of bright white head, while big peices yeast can be seen floating freely about and settling to the bottom. Takes a long while to pour and for the head to settle.

The scent is very sweet and lemony, but not particularly strong.

The taste is a great combination of Sweet and Bitter both showing up in high doses. You can taste some citrus, honey, butterscotch, and some minor alcohol notes. The taste seems very complex and lingers nicely on your tongue.

It has a very nice crisp and satisfying mouthfeel, even a little almost tingles a little. Very nice.

This is a very drinkable beer as long as you plan on enjoying it, very much a sipping beer, almost like a fine scotch or whiskey. I could drink this all night and probably find several nuances in the flavor I'm missing.
Great stuff.

3.62/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy medium golden/orange, large white head which laces decently. Aroma is vinous, lot's of grape, sugar cookie dough, and honey. Flavor is sweet (candied sugar?), doughie, and vinous, with alcohol also playing a decent part in the flavor front. Medium-full bodied, too much alcohol present, IMO.

3.62/5  rDev -15.4%

A very aggressive head on this one, took me 3 stages to get it all out of the 330 ml brown bottle. The result is a merrengue-like ethereal head, and as it slowly drops I was rewarded with a half-moon shape embossed in it. Aw shucks... Almost a creamy-like lacing left over. The body is a hazy apricot with lazy eddies of carbonation and a bit of suspended particles, since I gave the bottle a quick swish before I poured out the remaining contents.

A bit of sugary sweetness greets the nose first, along with citrus rind, before the spice really hits. Difficult to dissect the spice profile at this point though, it tends to play cat and mouse.

The alcohol steps forward quickly to shake my hand upon the first sip. It warms the mouth while everything else in the flavour subtely slips by, and then its all over. Some grains and spice in the middle, and a hoppy, rind-ish finish. Balanced and subtle, but overwhelmed by the alcohol content. Seems to me at times more like a high-octane English Bitter than a tripel.

The mouthfeel is light, but smooth and velvety, it compliments the aesthetics of the head. It's a small pleasure to roll over the tongue.

However the mouthfeel alone isn't enough to bring me back for another one of these any time soon. A lower abv% may have helped to compliment the subtlety of the flavour profile more, as the two aren't jiving particularly well for now, since I'd much rather be dancing with the wallflower rather than the boozy partner that keeps rubbing up against me every time I turn around and take a sip.

3.62/5  rDev -15.4%

It's probably not for me to review this beer. I respect the Westmalle Trappist monks, I really do. They have made their own proprietary yeast for centuries, and I've come to love it through Lagunitas' seasonal "Little Sumpin' Wild" offering - an American DIPA paired with a distinctive Belgian yeast. The two come together IMO, to make magic.

So when I found a $6 bottle of the Westmalle Trippel at (of all places) a Kroger, I thought "this is a life experience that I should have." And then, OK, I had it.

The good news is that I can tell that this is a masterful concoction. It's sort of in the same way that I can tell that an operatic soprano is magnificent, though I really just don't care to listen to her. The fact is - I'm a hops guy. I'm an IBU guy. Westmalle Trippel is surely magnificent also, but it's just not me. My wife would like it - it compares more favorably in taste, color and mouthfeel to a champagne than most ales - but there's no bitter and malty interplay, less complexity. It's light, sweet, refreshing, and very, very fizzy.

So I struggled to give fair ratings to an ale that I don't happen to like, but whose achievements are just lost on me due to my own limitations. Nevertheless, I figure that there are probably some IPA aficionados out there who would be intrigued at the opportunity to try a world-class ale and are wondering if they'd like it. My advice - if you like champagne, you'll love this ale. If you love hops, probably not.

3.61/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Super meringue head.

Initially found it difficult to nose through the intensely thick head. Even after subsiding, still having difficulty getting much off the aroma. Mainly getting yeast esters. I recall the dubel from the same brewery being much more intense in this category.

Tastes of champagne laced with honey, chamomile tea with undetyong bitterness.

Warm and slight carbonation on the mouthfeel.

3.6/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Peachy golden color, small bright white head quickly settles to a small foamy layer.

S- Light fruits, Belgian yeast,

T- Reminds me of a white wine or dry champagne. Sweet, citrusy, dry and that's about it. Flavors are all bunched together. Makes a great sipper.

M- Medium body, high carbonation.

D- Great Belgian sipper over all. Slightly to dry for my liking and not as complex as I'm used to with this style.

3.6/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Belgian style goblet. Lots of carbonation and the head foams up to about two inches right away and slowly drops back down. Ultimately, there's a think layer of head and some pretty thick lacing left down the side of the glass. Color is a golden, yellow-almost-orange, tone. Very inviting. The smell is almost completely dominated by the Belgian yeast strain that we've all come to admire in Trappist ales. The taste is delicious, with a smooth sweet malty taste. The yeasty smell is consistant in the beer's taste as well with spicy notes of clove throughout. There's a pretty viscous body, but not as full as I would expect from a Triple. Pretty drinkable, overall, but I would say that it fails to compare with other Trappist greats...especially Chimay's Triple.

TOP 100 Tick FTW!!!

Poured into unibroue snifter.

Pours 1.5 finger of white head. Nice retention, but no lace. Color is a hazy pale gold.

Aroma: Dried apples and pears are the dominate fruit flavors here. Some cloves and spice notes. Belgian yeast shows with some bready malts. Herbal floral hop profile.

Taste: A bit of booze shows, coriander and spices are big, dried apples and pears again. Yeast, bready malts. The taste follows the nose fairly identical.

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy and dry. Medium bodied with a very high amount of carbonation. A bit hot as well with more alcohol showing than I would like.

Overall, a decent tripel, but too much carbonation and a bit too much alcohol showing. Somewhat drinkable. I dig a bit of it.

3.59/5  rDev -16.1%

I was excited to try another of the Trappist Ales but was quite disappointed with Westmalle Tripel to be honest. Perhaps I got a poor bottle....
It poured with no head whatsoever and left only minimal lacing. It was a beautiful pale amber and had a decent enough waft. Fruit notes, slight banana and a mild alcohol, perhaps whiskey.
It had very little carbonation and tasted flat across the palate. Fruit followed by some sourdough bread which was a nice surprise. A mild bitter finish.
Not as complex as either of the other Trappists I've sampled this week and in truth was my least favorite of the bunch. Still worth a try and I know I'll give it another go to see if I did indeed get a bad bottle.

3.59/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this one at my Beer Club meeting where we sampled almost every available Trappist Beer, so some tough competition that night. Even with that said, this one tasted a bit flat and one-dimensional compared to the Westmalle Dubbel, so between the two, and for the same price, I'd go for the other. Still though, a pretty damn tasty beer, if you can get a good deal.

3.58/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance: Huge, bubbly, dense bright-white head on a hazy, burnt/dirty gold colored beer. Lively carbonation without being effervescent. Big chunks of lacing. Retention is crazy.

Smell: Banana, ester, spicy Belgian yeast, and some sweet pale malts. Bready and snappy. Big ripe fruit with apple coming through the back. Nice building clove spiciness. Backing alcohol. Vaguely waxy.

Taste: Clove laced banana and esters. Belgian yeast for days. Ripe banana, apple skin, clove spiciness with some bubblegum thrown in for good measure. Earthy and slightly dirty. Building alcohol warmth as the beer warms. Bready. So much yeast. Pale malts add some sweetness. Toasted malt backing is unique. Cloyingly Belgian. Raw honey edge. Phenolic, especially as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Relatively light with a solid, yet moderate carbonation. Lingering spiciness coupled with a moderate dryness.

Overall: Find "yeast bomb" in the dictionary. It's a picture of this beer.

So much yeast it's distracting. Each sip is a sharp punch of yeast aggression. Nice malts and carbonation make it drinkable, but the yeast hits so hard for so long it loses out overall.

3.58/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a very light, but very hazed yellow colour, with an extremely voluminous head of crackling whit bubbles. Some dissipation as the head collapses, but the lacing is reasonably good, sticking in the same patterns as the large bubbles cracked. Lots of streaming carbonation, but that gives it rather a refined look. Looks very decent overall.

Nose is rather bready, but with a good, slightly funky crushed citrus leaf character. Plenty of Belgian yeas, but a lot of refreshment to be had throughout, and a little bit of classic spice and phenolics to remind you of the style. Very decent.

Taste is sharp and peppery, and extremely phenolic on the finish, with a big bitterness that wells up throughout. Front is thin with a slight yeast overtone, before the phenolic spice comes through with a vengeance. Feel is very light, but gets cut with the astringency on the back.

Wow, compared to the St Bernardus I had earlier in the evening, this is a far more raw and far harsher beer, and it suffers for it. Not a huge amount of complexity, and a ragingly raw back palate that truly hurts drinkability. As much as I'm reviewing it, I know it's not my place to tell the Trappist monks what to do, but this was not my cup of tea. There are other examples I've enjoyed a whole lot more.

It's not a bad beer by any means, but it's below the baseline for the style in my opinion.

3.58/5  rDev -16.4%

Served in corked-and-caged 1 PT 9.4 FL OZ bottle. Bottled on 16/11/10. Poured into chalice.

A- Glowing light orange body. Incredibly cloudy. Pour reveals 1 1/2 fingers of fizzy head that dissipates quickly.

S- Banana bread and orange peel form the base. Sharp notes of pepper and clean alcohol. Unsure of where this one is going.

T- Bananas, grapefruit and some other bitter citrus esters. Alcohol. The yeast is lively and spicy, as opposed to the bread-y taste one might expect. Not a mild taste. The alcohol is not hidden. A fair amount of pepper and spice. Bitter and slightly metallic in transition, and a bit medicinal. Some pine-y hops come at the close.

M- Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Finish is very dry.

O- I know this beer is pretty much universally lauded, but I found it to be just OK. It does have a stronger, more complex taste than many tripels. Not bad, but I'd take a Chimay White or a LFDM over this any day.

3.57/5  rDev -16.6%

Gold in colour with a floatie or two, and well carbonated. Pleasing aromas of MacIntosh apple, pear, and a bit of spicy yeast. The fruit flavors become more lemon like on the palate, and mix well with the light malt and mild grassy hop notes. Surprisingly bitter finish, with notes of lemon rind at the end. A bit too dry for the style IMO (if that’s even possible). Not bad, but could be better.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle