2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

pDev: 10%

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,199 | Reviews: 1,555 | Show All Ratings:
Charthepirate

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Holy Crap. My Flemish roomate promised me a bottle of this when his friend came down from Belgium. He was pretty high on it, so I didn't know what to expect.

Pours a hazy, slightly red orange. Not a pleasant color. The head is truly magnificent. Huge and billowing, I poured maybe a quarter of a liter, and the head shot strait to the top of my half liter mug. Billowy, lasting nearly the whole beer.

Smell is wonderful, the almost wheat like smell of belgian yeast, with an aroma of a fine white wine. Alchohalic notes and an overriding sweetness.

This beer seemed to dance across my tounge, a thousand and one flavors playing across it. My God. I don't think I can describe it, but I'll try. After the initial kiss of carbonation some bold spicy fruits come through. Apple, pear, banana being most prevelant. A wonderful boquet not unlike fantastic white wine accompanies and outlasts the fruit. Finally a whiff of pepper and alchohal in the back of the mouth and an outstanding dry finish. My god.

This beer is a joy on the mouth. It enters smoothly, with enough carbonation to be interesting. As you swallow it seems to bubble and disspate from the tongue. Simply astounding.

No doubt about it, one of the best beers i've ever had.

11-30-2003 22:04:41 | More by Charthepirate
GreatLeo

British Columbia (Canada)

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Came in a 33cl bottle with best before date 06/2006. I have been hearing nothing but great things about this beer for some time now so I decided to check it out to see what all the hype is all about and now I can definately see! This is a wonderful beer with so many different layers and characteristics to it. Not too bitter in taste considering its strength (9,5%) which doesnt taste like it at all so its very masked indeed. Gave a very nice bittersweet aftertaste though I believe with a little cellaring would do this beer great things (that is if I can keep my hands off of it) Extremely complex triple that totally lives up to the trappist name!!! HIGHLY recommended to all I say!

03-21-2005 23:58:41 | More by GreatLeo
kernalklink

Arizona

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

I would fly to Belgium for a sip out of these monk's goblets. Cloudy light gold pour with a bubbly head- strong notes of grapes, apple esters and malt character on the nose. I couldnt believe the perfect marriage of the malt and alcohol, so smooth and crisp I savored every drop. The cleanest, tastiest beer Ive had the honor of sipping. This tripel will blow your mind.

12-25-2006 16:04:23 | More by kernalklink
cyrenaica

Ontario (Canada)

330 ml bottle
The beer poured a murky gold colour into a chalice glass with a thin white head that dissipated quickly. The aroma was very yeasty, with some malt and cloves. The mouthfeel was medium bodied, and slightly champagne in nature. The flavour was that of yeast, malt, and cloves with a dry finish.

08-22-2007 02:01:25 | More by cyrenaica
Fulkrum78

Tennessee

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

This is one helluva good beer. Pours a cloudy golden out of the bottle and the aroma is dry and malty. Nice creamy white head. Lacing sticks around for a while on the glass. Taste is dry and clean. Malt and hops at the end. Great beer. My favorite style and an excellent exemplar of it.

09-01-2011 06:23:14 | More by Fulkrum78
bubseymour

Maryland

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Appearance - orange murky brew with lots of carbonation through body. 2-3 finger billowy head with excellent retention in fact 2 minutes after pour it grew another finger. It's alive!!!

Smell - Wonderful scents of bready, earthy straw notes. Also picking up some sweet scents and slight bannana scent

Taste - Fabulous complexity and balance. Sweet and malty start and a crisp hop finish. I can't belive this is 9.5% as although its strong in flavor its not boozy at all.

Mouthfeel - Great.

Overall - A nearly perfect beer in my book. Satisfying in every aspect that a beer could be.

11-27-2011 21:26:10 | More by bubseymour
shoop12

Georgia

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Slightly lighter in appearance than most Tripels drank recently with a nice cloudy golden hue and 1 finger white head.

The aroma is very refreshing with a touch of malt but overall hint of yeast and fruitiness.

Taste is out of this world with the sweetness of the malts quickly fading and touches of pear and yeast quickly building with a refreshing, smooth, and crisp finish for a Tripel with 9.5% ABV.

To me, this beer is at the top pf the list for Tripels. It exemplifies the perfect combination of malts, yeasts, and hops.

Truly world class!

12-06-2011 20:19:49 | More by shoop12
bierman2000

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

The quintessential Tripel, smooth, fruity, highly alcoholic only but not in the tatse at all .. it is well hidden under all the spices and malts that this beer has.. this is golden and pale yet packs vibrant flavors and the punch of alcohol when imbibed. savor slowly in the proper goblet to enjoy this beer at its best.

04-18-2006 23:54:31 | More by bierman2000
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

750 ml bottle with ths code on the neck: 09/05/07 think it means sept 07?? If not this will only get better!

Pours honey colored & effervescent with 3 fingers of fluffy white head. Nice filmy head with some lacing all the way down

S: Slight appleskins with fruitty scents up front, these intensify as the ale warms

T: Rich fruitty ( apples, pears, lemons & others) taste up front. The yeasty notes & honey sweetness as the ale warms. This kind of reminds me of cider, perry or sparkling wine as it warms in many ways. Finishes with fruittyness, warming sensations, &grapefruitty hops

MF: Spritzy, perfect carbonation& balance

Very drinkable. a supper tripel (usually not my style). A bit pricey, but a nice holiday indulgence, easily sets the pace for this style

12-29-2006 06:29:16 | More by russpowell
EmilNoldSinclair

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

This beer is truly a delight to drink: poured into an oversized wine glass, given a hard pour this had a sizable head that eventually shrunk to a decently sized layer that retained really well. The bubbles are very small and stuck to the glass. The color was a glowing opaque yellow/golden. The smell had some lemony bite to it, along with some alcohol - there's more to it, I swear, but I just can't pick it out. Same story with the taste - I always find it difficult to specify what fruity flavors I'm picking out with belgian beers - here I taste a bit of lemony-tartness, granny smith apples?, and asian pear. It slip slides around...Also, there is some alcoholic bite to it, along with a balanced hop spicyness! That's why I love belgians, they balance the flavors oh so delicately... The carbonation was a bit weak, but still enjoyable. It was medium bodied and went down easy: the alcohol sneaked up on me. I was telling my friend while I was drinking this that I wish it came in six packs...or even 24 packs! I could have had at least 3 more of these bottles and still loved it. Truly a delight!

12-30-2006 09:51:55 | More by EmilNoldSinclair
JBushEsq

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

I was lucky enough to have a friend bring this one to me, as its not sold in PA.

This was by way and afar the best tripel that I have ever had, and it makes me sad to knowing that I can not easily get it.

For me this is the best tripel I have ever had, and the one from which all other fall short of.

10-01-2008 20:35:40 | More by JBushEsq
fbinla

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours from the bottle with a huge thick head that sticks around long enough to enjoy. Light golden color, with a vibrant carbonation.

Huge Aroma, funky farm smells, with fruit and yeast that just explode in your nose.

A nice medium mouthfeel with spicy, grainy, tart apple, a mild sweetness and mild bitterness.

Each smell and taste gives you a different experience as it warms up and oxygenates.

This is an amazing beer, controlled flavors that keep on giving, it's a piece of art. Reminds me of the quality and flavor of an aged $100+ bottle of wine. I need more and more then more. So easy to drink, with a 9.5% ABV it can creep up on you quickly.

07-12-2009 07:10:59 | More by fbinla
Hershdawg

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

11.2 oz bottle into great divide snifter.

A: Big foamy white head, golden appearence with some cloudiness from the yeast. Decent lacing.

S: Amazing, belgian esters, sugar, tropical fruits,

T: Banana, clove, bubble gum, sweet malt. Heavy yeast character but wonderful balence

M: Excellent and not heavy.

Overal its a world class beer. It can survive a bit in a cellar. The beer is complex but easy to drink. It defines the tripel style. Great beer to go out of you way for.

06-27-2011 22:13:41 | More by Hershdawg
Intrinsic

Germany

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

This beer is a perfect example of how Belgium makes better beer than anywhere else in the world; this despite the fact that my favourite style is American IPA.

It looks beautiful, with a creamy white head sitting atop a slightly cloudy golden yellow body. The retention is perfect, and thick lacing surrounds the chalice (yes, I do have a Westmalle glass).

The smell blends all sorts of fruity tones along with a yeast presence that really makes itself known. Its understated, and yet tells you so much about what was put into this beer.

The taste is a great continuation of all the smells, with alcohol, fruit (banana) and yeast dominating. The malt character is interesting as it doesn't stand out too much but lets you know its there.

The mouthfeel is almost perfect; just a tad under-carbonated. It has a nice dryness and aftertaste. Overall, this deserves the trappist name. Simply amazing.

09-20-2011 19:56:36 | More by Intrinsic
Bubbalito

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

Pour = light straw, with a golden center. Soft billowy cloud for a head, carbonation streaming off the bottom of the glass. Lacing is sticking to the glass as the head dissipates

Smell = green grapes, Apricots, some other tart fruits that I cant place, maybe some peach and golden raisins. Spicy belgian yeast scents as well.

Taste = effervescent and fruity, you get the grapes and apricots and green apple right up front, I would say it is almost like a fruity champagne, but not dry by any sense and not quite as sweet. Hints of cloves and bananas as well, Wow there is alot going on in this glass.

Westmalle founded this particular style of beer, and you can see why this is the standard by which all other Tripel's are judged. Delicious!!!

03-15-2012 21:47:18 | More by Bubbalito
KevinSP

Ontario (Canada)

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

I first enjoyed this at the Bier Market in Toronto and not a week later was stunned to see it actually stocked at my local LCBO. There are a number of excellent reviews on this beer and I'm not sure I can add any more what has already been said about this spectacular brew. Complex and yet incredibly accessible. It is truly a treat for all senses - visually beautiful, tickles the nose with tempting sensations and finally it stuns the palette. Suffice to say that is truly one of the best beers available.

04-08-2012 23:13:47 | More by KevinSP
Jason

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

You can find this one just as much as the Double in Belgium and everywhere in Brussels. Sweet nectar of the gods I could not get enough of it ... it was so damn fresh even the bottles that I drank at 1:00 am in my hotel room to put me asleep were obviously ten times fresher than what we get in the states.

10-19-2001 15:37:58 | More by Jason
pcblion

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

This beer is very much like a good wine. Wonderful color and a very pleasant smell. Very smooth taste, almost like a hefe. Surprisingly potent. It's a tough one to find, especially when you live in the Florida panhandle (read Bud/Miller country) , but this one is worth searching out. I wish I had another.

01-28-2005 23:35:38 | More by pcblion
AlexJ

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Yeah, I finally got me some Westmalle!!!
This triple pours from the 12 oz bottle a faintly hazy brew, the color of clover honey. An impressive white head quickly rises to a peak, where it remains for quite some time before crawling back into my goblet, etching it with thick lace as it goes.

The aromas, ahhh. A transcendant perfume of harvest fruits, honey, orange blossems, lemon, spicy yeast, phenolic banana funk, and grassy herbals. Candy sweetness covered by a blanket of funky spice. Love those Monks!

Every characteristic of the nose is amplified in the tasting. There are absolute layers of flavors to pull apart here. No one flavor is dominant, rather a perfect harmony is achieved. This is the epitomy of a triple. Sweet, never cloying, fruity, spicy, and oh so complex.

Body is medium, playfully fizzy, and smoother than silk. Finish is dry, lemony, with a lasting impression of spicy, peppery hops. This is Heaven, in 12 oz servings!

Thanks to Gabe for sharing this treat!

03-22-2005 00:25:47 | More by AlexJ
Shovelbum

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Deep golden body with a creamy white head. Mild haziness. Decent head retention and gorgeous Belgian lace. Aroma of Belgian yeasts, vinous and citrus fruit, clove, sweet malts, candi sugar… ok already its complex. On to the taste. Sweet malts and Belgian sugar balanced with orange and clove spices. Mild alcohol presence, but well balanced with the Medium body and carbonation. Light bitterness and moderate carbonation. Crisp in the mouth with a slightly drying finish.

My favorite beer. Well-balanced complexity with nice warming alcohol presence that is noticeable but not overwhelming. Every time I drink one of these I notice something new in the layers of flavor and aroma. Never boring, always amazing.

11-10-2005 01:12:45 | More by Shovelbum
AleDrinkToThat

Tennessee

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

I've had a good friend harping on me to get my hands on a Trappist ale any way I could (the availability SUCKS in southern MS, and the closest good import selection is in New Orleans). So, I chose the Westmalle Tripel, and I'm planning on tracking down some Rochefort and Orval later down the road...and maybe the ever-elusive Westvleteren, if I can ever find it in the States. On with the Westmalle...

Appearance: Slightly hazy pale orange hue under a perfect 2-3 finger frothy head, which laced very well as I sipped.

Smell: Delicious harmonic smell of golden apple, yeast, tropical fruit, coriander, and hops.

Taste: The most complex tasting beer I've tried. The fruity esters, sweet malt, and yeast hit immediately, and while the alcohol content is up there, it isn't overbearing at all. My 'sweet' taste buds just lit up. And as it went down, more flavors kept coming, like honey. I could still taste honey a full ten minutes after it was all gone. Pretty amazing.

Mouthfeel: It's a bit like a sparkling wine with a low carbonation. As the flavors bounce all over the mouth, the alcohol does its warming work. The sweet flavors are so intense that it left me salivating and wanting more.

Drinkability: This is a highly drinkable beer which should be sipped slowly and savored. Be warned, though: it will spoil you if it's one of your first craft beers. It's so complex, so expertly brewed, you will appreciate it more if you've gotten some time in with more beers before trying it. Trappist ales aren't so highly praised for nothing, as I've discovered.

02-13-2008 14:55:45 | More by AleDrinkToThat
TheViceBlog

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

The smell is fantastic, as good as it gets. It actually smells like Belgium. There's no way any beer aficionado could sniff this one and not know immediately that it was a glorious Belgian Trappist brew.

The absolute first taste was great but fairly normal and I got a bit concerned, but by the time the gulp hit the back of my throat I could see how goddamn special it is. Nice bite, good warmth. Very alcoholic. In fact, Trappist beers are always going to be quite strong as they were originally crafted to sustain the monks through Lent, acting as "liquid bread." Right up my alley.

I can truly say I have never really tasted a beer like this before. It is unbelievable and glorious. Bottle-fermented it is absurdly creamy, just a little bitter, very fruity with prominent tastes of banana, and a whole lotta hops and malts.

I drank it as slow as possible, savoring ever sip, not wanting it to be over. I was sad when I was through, knowing my next drink would pale in comparison. I'll need to always have this in stock and I look forward to cellaring some.

Yeah, when I retire I'm either going to move to a giant compound in Louisville with my 24-year-old trophy wife where I'll golf all day and drink bourbon, smoke cigars, and eat fatty southern foods drenched in gravies all night or to Belgium where I will renounce my Judaism, eliminate my Atheism, put on a comfy brown hooded robe cinched with a rope and begin peacefully making-and secretly get loaded on, shhh-tasty Westmalle beer all day long.

Simply one of the best beers I've ever had.

Aaron
www.theviceblog.com

07-23-2008 00:52:46 | More by TheViceBlog
Mistofminn

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

I figured this was fate. I drove by Surdyk's so see their flashing LED sign scrolling their specials. I just so happened to drive by when "Double (sic) and Tripel Single Bottles $4.44" I didn't even bother to see what it was I just figured it was a good deal.

So I made my way in, and purchased 1 Westmalle Tripel and 1 Westmalle Dubbel. I was very excited to try both because I have heard excellent things about both.

Poured from an 11 oz brown bottle with raised glass. The color is golden yellow with sort of a ruby touch. It would be more accurate to call it honey, as it's a slightly dark golden color. A giant pluming head is produced when poured into my Weizen glass (curse myself for not having the proper glassware!). Head slowly dissipates to a small dollop, which leaves no lacing.

Has a very complex aroma. Fruity, with floral hops in the background. Also a slight honey scent, along with a spicey twang.

Taste is equally as complex. It starts out fruity and citusy, with a strong acidic quality. Has a distinct bitterness, that is accompanied by more fruity flavors, spices and honey. Extremely appealing to me. Just as they website claims, this beer does have a great deal of elegance and finesse.

This beer is light in body. It houses moderate carbonation, and along with the moderate alcohol present, it makes for a great, but not excellent, mouthfeel.

I consider this one of the most enjoyable and drinkable beers I've ever had the pleasure of trying. The high alcohol is masked very well.

I believe the sale at Surdyk's ends today. I may have to go back and pick up a few more. I was very impressed by both the Tripel and the Dubbel, they did not disappoint.

01-14-2009 22:59:18 | More by Mistofminn
CwrwAmByth

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a chimay goblet, the first of my 3 triples night (other two being Chimay and St. Bernadus)

Pours a dark gold colour with probably the silkiest, creamiest head i've ever seen that slowly collapses in on itself.

Smells refreshing - lemon, light/pale fruits and malts. Like a summers day.

Taste is first a citrusy zing, before some pale malts and very slight hops take over giving a slight bitterness, and an alcohol warmth finishes it off. Everything is very subtle, I would say it's on the far other end of the boldness scale, opposite the US craft brew style boldness.

Over all a really, really good beer. Perfect on this summer saturday afternoon just as i've finished mowing the lawn.

07-02-2011 14:39:04 | More by CwrwAmByth
AndrewR

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

dusty local honey in color, nose just explosive. vanilla bean, reduced bananas, orange peel, fun dip stick, white flowers for days. supple in the mouth, alcohol seamlessly integrated, round and regal. band aids, cloves and amaretto dominate throughout and the finish lingers. this comes correct on all levels. benchmark brew that i could drink thrice daily.

07-14-2011 02:55:48 | More by AndrewR