Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
cproioi

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured a light golden hazy color with a white head that left decent lacing. Slight carbonation is also present in the appearance. It had faint hints of hops in the smell, but the aroma was largely made up of malts and yeast. The taste was largely malts and yeast. Very sweet taste. It boasted a thin-medium body with carbonation bubbles jumping across my tounge. No real hints of any alcohol content.

Pretty good. Possible my favorite Trappist Tripel I have had to date. Went down nice and had a highly refreshing finish.

08-13-2006 23:40:53 | More by cproioi
elricorico

Alberta (Canada)

3.35/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours a pale golden colour with an abundance of foamy white head. Lots of visible carbonation and good head retention.

The smell is dominated by candy sugar and alcohol spiciness. Some citrus base, and a touch of soapy aroma in there as well.

First impression is that this is a sweet and fruity ale, with a notable alcohol finish, though the alcohol waits until the bitter end to show itself. As I drink further, alcohol becomes more and more the defining taste. Fruity citrus flavours up front that can't quite keep up with the alcohol burn of the finish.

The mouthfeel is pretty good, light but not watery, with just a bit of stickiness to it. Well carbonated but not abrasive.

Drinkability suffers from the alcohol burn, but it isn't bad in the end. A decent triple, but I wouldn't call it one of my favorites.

06-23-2006 02:32:16 | More by elricorico
funkengruven

Ontario (Canada)

3.35/5  rDev -22.1%

This beer poured to a quickly forming slowly dissipating white head. Smell is smoky and woody, quite nice actually. Taste is not terrible but rather harsh, as reflected in it's rather high ABV. mouthfeel is equally as harsh, the high ABV is once again. This beer is to be sipped and savored, overall not too bad but at the same time hard to swallow. Not something to be consumed in excess, but something to enjoy every now and again in small quantities.

12-17-2005 04:13:06 | More by funkengruven
Mudpuppet

3.35/5  rDev -22.1%

A- Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Ommegang chalice. Pours a Golden color, nearly straw. Very light head.

S- Very light nose on this one. Some wheat and malts.

T- Orange and citrus flavors. Also that signature Belgian yeast flavor.

M- Medium carbonation on this one.

D- Not an incredible tripel but very drinkable and tasty.

01-14-2008 19:36:48 | More by Mudpuppet
cracgor

3.35/5  rDev -22.1%

Okay so I picked up a 750 ml of this one because it happened to be the exact same price as 12 fl oz. Go figure. It pours out nicely. Amber body with a frothy, pillowy white head. Could appear more carbonated, but the head remains thick and tall the entire time I drink this. The smell is earthy and grassy. A little sugary, but not anything for me to complain or boast about too eagerly. The taste is pretty average though. It is not particularly special as far as the style goes. The alcohol shines out a little too much. Overall, it is an earthy, yeasty, grassy flavor. No real deep complexity to talk about. It makes for an average medium mouthfeel. Surprisingly not as alcohol warming as I might expect from the flavor. Drinkability is decent, but because there are so many excellent members of the style available, I can't give it high marks in this category.

12-17-2005 07:49:05 | More by cracgor
jneiswender

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. Served cool.

A-fluffy white head, gold almost roan cloudy body.

S-slight vegetable, yeast, clove spice

T-some cotton candy, slight boozy warmth, coarse hop (medicinal)

M-medium and very fizzy

D-This was a nice beer that I would have again but I have to say it was somewhat coarse. Maybe it was an old bottle or something like that but it certainly was rougher than what I expected.

09-24-2010 23:38:31 | More by jneiswender
RandomExile

Maryland

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

A: Hazy, light amber or pale gold depending on lighting, full light head, vanishes in just a few minutes, little persistent lacing
S: Sharp, yeast, orange
T: Slightly sweet, astringent, tangy, alcohol, yeasty, orange, herbal
M: Mild bite, medium-bodied, slightly dry finish
O: Significantly more "chemically" than I expect from a Trappist ale. Ok, but with a strange taste.

750mL / $14.99

11-01-2013 05:04:34 | More by RandomExile
TheHammer

Ontario (Canada)

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

This will be my second Trappist Ale, I just wanted something a bit high class for today. Sadly, once again the second I popped the top on this one, it overflowed. Ahh well, I poured in into a Chalice onto the review.

Appearance: As I said, the bottle overflowed when it was opened, so I was in a bit of a rush to pour. A solid thumb of sustaining but not lacing head was the result. The beer's body has very fine carbonation hidden within it's cloudy yellow depths. There is quite a lot of yeast sediment with this one, especially near the bottom of the glass.

Smell: You can very clearly smell the alcohol as it is clearly dominant and is in need of being reigned in. Smells more like a white wine then a beer, as grapes and notes of apricots, orange peel and yeast are in the background.

Taste: Once again, you can clearly notice the high alcohol content, which is hurting this beer for me. Starts with a sweeter, calm sweet malt an fruity taste that builds into somewhat excessively strong crescendo as yeast and sour apples make thier presence know. It is then abruptly silenced by a strong alcohol presence which itself is reigned in somewhat by earthy and herbal hops.

Mouthfeel: Well the aftertaste doesn't linger, which is good. The carbonation, makes it's presence known throughout the beer. However, the high alcohol content isn't masked very well as it offers a bit of a acidic solvent feeling.

Drinkability: I dunno, I can't see wanting more then one of these at a time. The sour and sweet elements don't mesh that well, the high alcohol content doesn't make for good sessioning, and honestly is more of a wine then a beer. That and the high carbonation is causing a bit of belching.

Final Thoughts: I'll be honest, I'm disappointed by this beer. That is probably because I'm not much of a wine drinker, and this beer drinks more like a wine. In this case, I feel that too much effort went into making this beer a "high class" beer and it just isn't doing anything for me. I mean, it's ok and I'd take it if it were offered (although I somehow doubt that would be the case) but I can't in good faith, score it that highly.

Edit: <Whoops, forgot to talk about the appearance>

11-22-2009 01:33:01 | More by TheHammer
msquared36

3.39/5  rDev -21.2%

Bright yellow gold with a crisp white, billowing head. One of the softest foams I've ever seen, leaving thick lacing down the glass.

Scent is yeasty with a hint a sweetness and alcohol.

Taste is malty and sharp. A little sweetness and alcohol, similar to the smell.

Nice refreshing carbonation yet still smooth.

Complex but drinkable.

02-15-2014 22:39:41 | More by msquared36
TehAnkh

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%

A: Pours a pale, passionfruit-like yellow with 1 finger of off-white head that doesn't make a point of sticking around long or leaving much lacing in its wake. Sediment seems to be unavoidable, as it was allowed to settle and warm on the counter and still managed to give me a chunky looking beer.

S: Some light fruits make themselves apparent, along with a little bit of an herbal hop presence that I would describe as somewhat musky. The alcohol really comes through on the nose also.

T: Mildly hoppy, some light grains and light fruits make an appearance, but I'm having trouble getting any standout flavors here. Once again, the alcohol seems to take this beer over, ruining any chances it might have had at leaving any kind of lasting impression.

M: The mouth feel is probably the best aspect of this beer, I found it to be somewhat thick and creamy, nice light carbonation, and very very smooth going down. Nice.

D: I'd maybe have another one, but I don't think I'd buy this again. It's drinkable enough, but as Tripels go, you can do much better things with your money.

02-06-2009 21:17:00 | More by TehAnkh
mgdeth

Montana

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%

Appearance - Beautiful golden color, slightly hazy, very fizzy. Good head retention.

Smell - The nose has a sort of a breezy sweetness, with a subtle spiciness in the background.

Taste - The initial taste is an appley sweetness followed by an alcoholic hotness. I also detect a fruitiness common to many ales. This beer is not as spicy as other tripels I have tried. It is also just not as tasty as other tripels.

Mouthfeel - Solid body, but not thick or overwhelming. A little deceptive, given the 9.5% alcohol.

Drinkability - The alcohol detracts a little from the beer's drinkability, but it is still very good overall.

Comments - Maybe I missed something about this beer, but I do not think it is as great as the rankings appear.

10-31-2005 02:19:04 | More by mgdeth
steelerguy

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

A - Opened and it was a gusher, had been sitting in refrigerator for over a week and was opened like normal. Lost about 3 oz. of beer. Poured with a two finger head, extremely cloudy, with lots of yeast and junk floating in it. Extremely carbonated, most carbonated beer I have ever had.

S - Clean pilsner malt smell, slightly sweet aroma with some phenolic spice.

T - Some residual sweetness, very spicy phenolics, alcohol, with a somewhat tart and harsh finish.

M - Too carbonated, I like a nice carbonated Trippel but this was ridiculous. Light and dry when you can get past the C02 assaulting your mouth.

D - One was more than enough for me.

I can't even describe how disappointed I was in this beer. I was expecting something extraordinary and what I got more like a decent home brew Belgian Strong Ale. I have two more and am hoping that this was just a bad one. I have never had a gusher like this and the over carbonation was just insane. This can't be the same beer everyone loves so much, especially since I really like Belgians!

04-29-2009 23:47:45 | More by steelerguy
Anthony1

Colorado

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

The aroma is a little sour at first, but soon turns to a milder, Duvel-like aroma of creamy pale malts. The flavor is sweeter and maltier than the other big Trappist tripel, Chimay White. There's a bit of farmhouse funk in the malt, and drop of candy and caramel. It finishes with an obscured hops flavor that's grapefruit-y, but buried under the malt. Overall, I don't think the flavor is that amazing. Yes, it is quite nice, but not my favorite tripel. The carbonation is spot on, but a hint of alcohol detracts from it.

08-09-2010 16:38:35 | More by Anthony1
BeerBelcher

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

I was excited to try this beer, as I've heard a great deal about the Westmalle brewery. I found this beer to be good, but to be honest found myself making unfavorable comparisons to some other tripels Iike Allagash Tripel Reserve and Tripel Karmeliet due to a very mild flavor and a bit of wateriness in the mouthfeel.

A bottle I picked up from a display at Consumer Beverage in Hales Corners. This beer pours a hazy dark yellow with lots of soft secondary-fermentation produced head. Smells tripel-ish with some clove notes and lots of coriander. Flavor is a bit like a white wine up front, with some spiciness on the back end. Not as full-flavored as other tripels I've enjoyed like Tripel Karmeliet, Allagash, and Victory Golden Monkey. Mouthfeel is quite soft, but a bit thin up-front.

04-06-2007 02:31:56 | More by BeerBelcher
SilentSabre

North Dakota

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

This first thing I noticed right away with this one was a monstrous banana smell. There may very well be bananas in this one. A bit of cloves. Cloudy yellow orange in colour. Thin fizzy head than hangs around for a bit. Par for the course with Belgians. You know the drill. As much as it pains me to say so, this stuff really has a bitterness to it that I just totally do not care for. Very disappointed indeed. I have been looking forward to tasting this for quite some time now. The texture, or mouthfeel, is quite nice. Smooth and just heavy enough for the style. Again, I don't know what the hell is going on with the taste, but it seems offensively bitter. I am, however, just now getting over a sickness that has incapacitated me for last four days or so. Perhaps my sense of smell and taste are still a bit impaired. I certainly hope so. I should re-review this in about a week or so. Until then, tonights review stands.

01-06-2005 03:05:39 | More by SilentSabre
Prufrock

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

11.2 oz. bottle into a chimay goblet.

hazy orange with an inch of creamy white foam.

yeast, peach, and some spice in the aroma.

flavor is sweet and fruity, a touch alcoholic. balanced nicely with some bready malts, a clean finish and a slightly sour character. alcohol character hurts the drinkability some.

03-13-2006 17:16:11 | More by Prufrock
chinchill

South Carolina

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%

portion of large, fresh bottle served in 6 oz glass.

A - slightly cloudy; golden

S - malty; a bit fruity & hoppy

T - sour; a bit dry & spicy; slight bitter/sour aftertaste

D - very drinkable for a high alcohol beer. Should pair well with many cheeses and other foods.

Superb for type, but have a solid preference for Westmalle Dubbel.

10-01-2010 03:31:16 | More by chinchill
Padron4KM

Arizona

11.2 oz bottle
Pours cloudy orangy/yellow with large chunks of yeast floating about.
I had this bottle sitting undisturbed for three days and poured carefully, yet I still ended up with a lot of yeast.
Head was a decent size but it was short lived.
Aroma was fruity and yeasty and spicy. A little orange peel.
Flavor is spicy, with some floral hop and some citrus zest in the finish.

03-22-2005 05:35:34 | More by Padron4KM
Twincrasher

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%

A: Nice haed, dissipates quickly with little lacing.

S: Apricot and esters of banana and citrus fruit.

T: Simlar to above. Grapefruit and saison style almost. Alcoholic.

M: High alcohol makes for dry finish. High carbonation.

O: Good fro this type. Tripels not always my favorite.

12-17-2012 22:00:50 | More by Twincrasher
TheBeerAlmanac

Kentucky

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A: Hazy, dark golden color and either has a ridiculous amount of head or else I suddenly forgot how to pour a beer. Seriously, I feel like I’ve overloaded the washing machine. Like when you’re a kid and you pour the whole bottle of bubble bath in the tub, that’s what pouring this beer is like.

S: Smells sweet and succulent with apricots, oranges and bready malts, a lot of what I’m used to in a Belgian.

T/M: Has a low amount of carbonation and actually tastes pretty boozy. Tangy orange zest and hints of pineapple shine through; it’s not as prominent with the darker fruits. The alcohol taste is a bit too strong in this one, which makes me wonder if I should have opted for the dubbel this time.

Honestly, I’m still waiting for that one Trappist ale to sweep me off my feet and show me what it’s all about.

06-16-2011 02:42:06 | More by TheBeerAlmanac
htomsirveaux

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%

11.2 oz. bottle tried 5 Sep 2007.

Large tight yellowish head. Cloudy golden color. Effervescent. Aroma is kind of salty and earthy, somewhat like dry white wine too. Taste is of green bananas, some butter (sigh...). Some white grapes, ethanol slightly warming. Finish is sharp and somewhat bitter. Medium body.

Was expecting a little more from this, maybe a bad bottle?

06-27-2010 18:50:29 | More by htomsirveaux
macesq

08-15-2014 19:36:10 | More by macesq
Garin

Alberta (Canada)

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

It poured a golden yellow colour, slightly cloudy (though the bulk of the sediment remained in the bottle). Some of the sediment is persistently suspended. The head was voluminous, snow white, and cleared within a few minutes in my goblet leaving a thick lacing.

The aroma is decidedly hoppy. Fresh citrusy smells dominate, with some grassy and honey aromas also present.

While it's in my mouth, the flavour is pleasantly but decidedly bitter all around the back of my tongue, and even onto the back of my palate. There is also a little sweetness. Spicy cloves come through, some bitter orange peel, along with a touch of banana. Yeast is present, and probably stronger than it should be (next time I'll let it settle even longer). Mild malt flavours build over time.

In the mouth, it feels smooth and light, with a pleasant warming effect. Light carbonation and the bitter taste let it feel quite sharp, which really masks the alcohol to devastating effect. Oy.

Overall, I find the bitter aftertaste to dominate a little too heavily, and it detracts from the drinkability quite a bit. I'm nearly finished the bottle, and I swear I've just been chewing on orange peels. Still, there are lots of interesting flavours to ferret out here, and it's enjoyable while I'm drinking it. I'd have it again.

04-16-2003 22:13:49 | More by Garin
RedChrome

Connecticut

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

Color was a very light yellow with a slightly hazed appearance. Inch and a quarter high white head was pillow like and took a few minutes to fade. Tiny sized bubbles were in abundance. Lacing in rings.

Very sweet fruit aromas. Bananas, peaches and cherries are blended with strength in that order. Earthy yeast is light against the sweetness. Almost nothing bitter to detect.

Sweet taste with a very strong plastic presence. This had an apple taste hidden behind the initial flavor. Despite the fruit, this one falls short of expectation from the aroma.

Decent feel on the sides of the tongue. Carbonation tingles for a while on all surfaces.

Overall a decent brew. This one would work with a plate of lamb kabobs. A solid beer, that pales when compared to others in the style. Try it if you get a chance, but look for others to rule the style.

06-25-2007 00:43:49 | More by RedChrome