2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

pDev: 10%

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,200 | Reviews: 1,555 | Show All Ratings:
HoustonTX

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Westmalle Trappist Tripel, poured into a Chimay goblet.

Beautiful appearance, emits a golden-orange halo of color, hazy and illuminating from the light. Frothy large silky white color head. It maintains and lasts and lasts. Ripe fruits in the nose especially, oranges and honey. Layes of sweet phenols lay across the nasals. With underlays of sugar, cream, vanilla, and spice- reminiscent of a banana pie which is incredibly appealing. Crisp cooked edges borderlining a burnt crust scentalation. Smell is fabulous, and takes you to another dimension.

Taste is tangy and sour upfront, with a mix of belgian candied-sugar malt thrown into the mix. Residual sweetness all the way up until a nice amount of spicy floral hop bitterness, meeting halfway, the sweetness is swept over by the spiciness of the hops. Soon after another sweet wave comes back into play, and balances with the hops, the result is a sweet tangy lingering bitter that transcends the palate nicely. It feels like the flavors are bouncing around all over your tongue, it's definitely a treat. I felt that the mouthfeel was perfect, and the overall drinkability was exceptional. This bottle had to be fresh, the hop character was incredibly strong.

An almost perfect Tripel, it just has so much to offer. This was beyond tasty. I recommend it highly.

09-11-2006 23:38:11 | More by HoustonTX
Gehrig

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Dazzling, this Westmalle Tripel. Earlier in the day, I decided to sample Chimay and Westmalle back-to-back. Given the late hour, I momentarily reconsidered, then reconsidered my reconsideration, much to my delight. I am officially wowed.

This required multiple pours for me, an angle-pouring blue-collar gent who enjoys decent foam, but nothing too excessive. Despite my best efforts, this was a four-finger froth, fantastic in its resplendent glory, requiring two more dabbles over the 12-oz. Ommegang glass to complete the pour. The body is a cloudy lemon-orange, like a sunset on an easy day. Really sublime.

My nose enjoyed the lemon-orange fruitiness, the hint of berries, and the yeasty back beat, but I was completely won over upon tasting the steady but patient malt flavor that periodically percolated in the palate, accompanying the rest of the assemblage. Idyllically carbonated to channel the durable hopped flavor, this is really one of the best Belgians I've ever had. Imbibing this was a privilege.

01-12-2008 07:38:37 | More by Gehrig
Lexluthor33

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

An orange yellow almost golden like a sunset.Very nice head that has long life. The aroma of malts,fruits,spice and alcohol. The taste is tingly ,bitter sweet with the added touch of passion fruit or something like that.
It has a spicy taste,yet there is citrus,yeast and some hops.
The feel is smooth,so smooth. The bitterness is well placed and the complex flavors are blended well with moderate carbonation. It finishes sort of dry with an alcohol reminder.

Notes: This is not a session brew ,but you knew that already. High ABV must be respected. I can have about two or three glasses and feel fine.

05-01-2008 20:34:15 | More by Lexluthor33
assmasterson

Missouri

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Just by the luck of the draw, I picked this one out of a long beer list last night.

Pours out with a slightly burnt orange color and has a modest, light head. The smell and taste have some strong fruit flavors and the carbonation is tight enough to leave it with a clean finish. The amount of alcohol in this brew is pretty high, but does not overpower the senses.

Overall, one of the finest beers I have come across. Given the chance, I would pick this one again in a second.

08-21-2010 16:14:22 | More by assmasterson
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

I had this in a bottle in Occoquan, Virginia at a new Belgian restaurant call "Cock and Bull." Belgian beer and waffles - gotta love it!

A: After pouring into a Westmalle chalice, I noticed intense bubbles right away. The color was a cloudy, burnt orange with about 1/2 inch head.

S: Fruity, with mild caramel notes. I detected the characteristic Belgian yeast with plum and citrus.

T: VERY smooth, with a slight but comfortable alcohol burn. Dark fruit a plenty in this one!

M: Carbonation is bubbly, almost champagne-like. There is no offensive sticky residue in the mouth and I would definitely describe this as a very "clean" beer.

D: I am simply in love with the mouthfeel in particular with this one! Also,the nutty and fruity taste of the Westmalle is addictive. Amazing stuff!

08-22-2010 00:55:19 | More by Chaney
AUTIGERS

Alabama

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

appearance- slightly foggy golden color with a two finger head, lots of lacing

smell- an interesting mix of floral and citrus aromas

taste- very good. starts with a modest amount of floral and citrus flavor, next you are reminded of the relatively high alcohol percentage, and then ends with a refreshing finish.

mouthfeel- good carbonation, medium body

drinkability= very drinkable. the taste, mouthfeel, and smell are mild enough to be relatively easy drinking. three may be a good amount

03-07-2011 09:55:42 | More by AUTIGERS
magictacosinus

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 330ml bottle. Freshness date is listed as "30/05/13."

Pours a spectacular appearance with a straw-colored, cloudy color with tons of tiny floaties visible. Head is absolutely massive - from now on, if my tripel doesn't pour a head this creamy and bubbly, I'm not not going to consider it to be an ideal brew of the style. This brew has the true appearance of a drink made for members of the royalty.

And what an amazing smell this beer has: beautifully balanced citrusy notes (especially lemon rinds), candy sugar, coriander, banana and tamarind. An extremely strong aroma that changes over time, really. You get sweet boozy notes, dry hopped smells, and tons of fruitiness. A very peculiar flavor, and one that can quickly indicate that this brew is going to be a cascade of flavors.

Instantly, the flavor proves itself to be filled with bitterness and dryness unlike many other kinds of Trappist beers. Soon, however, those bitter notes are replaced with caramel malts and sugary flavors that wholly wonderful. The citrus flavor maintains throughout, and mixes really well with the sweetness. The alcohol is brilliantly hidden here, only showing its high quantity after every gulp, in which is warms up the throat and cheeks and delivers spices reminiscent of ginger all around. Creamy and chewy. Very dry, though, so approach it with caution. The high yeastiness makes it taste like fresh bread straight out of the over as it warms up. What a brilliant beer that it is - it's so amazing that I feel like crying after taking each sip.

What to say overall? One of the greatest beers I'll ever have on this earth. I also recently split a 750ml bottle in Brussels with several other people and found the batches in Belgium to be more aggressive on the palate due to the freshness - and therefore more delicious! This beer is a true divine savior in a bottle. After having it several times, I've appreciated it more due to its ability to taste different on every single sip. Seriously! It's uncanny. After enough tries, it's now one of my all-time favorites.

10-17-2011 20:08:40 | More by magictacosinus
ikantspel

bottled on 11-15-2010
best by date of 11-15-2012

served into a duvel tulip

pours a light orange with a a bubbly 2 1/2 finger head.

nose is dominated by citrus some orange and tangerine. some light floral hidden in there as well

fruity at first then the spices come in to settle the sweetfest.

crisp mouthfeel at first that turns creamy later.

if chuck norris peed, this is what it would taste like

11-21-2011 05:28:06 | More by ikantspel
icepik

Rhode Island

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

A: light straw color, hazy, light head with great lacing.

S: Fruity, sweet smell, reminiscent of apricots, very nice.

T: Excellent malt flavor, smooth, clean taste. Some alcohol warmth at finish.

M: Soft mouth feel, fairly high carbonation, but typical of style.

O: This is one of the best, it really defines the tripel style for me.

12-31-2011 21:26:47 | More by icepik
Clonies720

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance: The beer pours a hazy golden color with LOTS of carbonation. A 1-inch head forms immediately and is staying put about 10 minutes after the fact. That's impressive head retention. It leaves some nice lacing as it goes down, but don't count on it sticking around.

Smell: It smells of sweetness, light-colored fruit that I cannot put my finger on, and a boozey-smell that reminds me of champagne. I cannot really smell hops, but let's see how it tastes.

Taste: Clove, banana, spices, esters, and a boozy flavor that warms up along with the beer.

Mouthfeel: Bitter hops are almost non-present at the beginning, but you'll experience them around the end of the beer's flavor. Westmalle Tripel ale has the dry, spicy finish that I crave.

Overall: I could have written another 2-3 paragraphs about this beer, but it's so darn tasty that I hit the major points and skipped the nuances. This is a tasty, fine, and EXPENSIVE beer (Think it was $4.50 or $5 for that one bottle) that one might only buy for a special occasion

01-14-2013 00:58:35 | More by Clonies720
Greywulfken

4.81/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: straw colored pour spills into a dark hazy gold; thick creamy white head

S: sweet honey and orchard fruits

T: starts sweet but finishes dry; taste some fruity flavors, incredibly fresh-tasting. Gracefully sweet, floral, herbal.

M: medium-full bodied; nicely carbonated; dries elegantly

O: I've never had a true trappist ale before, but have heard much of the vaunted Westverleten. Unable to get one, I asked my distributor to recommend a tripel. When he pointed me to this beer, I had to try it.

I was thrown off at first when I saw there was a plastic cork. But having consumed the beer, I assume that it creates a better seal than a true cork stopper, and this beer really tasted freshly-brewed. I have never tasted a beer in this style as fresh-tasting as this.

I can't imagine a better beer. A good strong Belgian pale ale, bringing a sophistication and freshness that is palpable. This beer was a total surprise, and is instantly on my favorite beer list.

Revisited several times over the two years since initial review. Always fresh, crisp, and balanced, and with a sweetness and bright yeast and hop profile that will please any advocate. Confirmed world-class status each time.

10-23-2011 16:37:01 | More by Greywulfken
BeerAdvocate

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Presentation: 33cl custom European-style brown bottle, with raised glass stamped "trappist" around the neck.

Appearance: Cloudy pale orange with a nice head! It's got the whole Brussels Lace going on with a creamy, bitty head that sticks a retains with little awakening (swirling in the glass).

Smell: Tart apricot, lemon grass, pepper, pale malts and alcohol all wrapped in a slighly pungent aroma.

Taste: A bit crisp upfront with a slick mouthfeel. Many layers to this brew: fruit (ripe passion/apricot), big burst of spicy alcohol, fresh cut hay flavour, dextrin sweetness, raw honey, yeast and a slight medicinal background flavour. Complex. Very complex.

Notes: The quintessential triple in our humble opinions. An exceptional beer, blissful to taste. Roughly 9% abv.

11-06-2000 00:00:01 | More by BeerAdvocate
doho95fu

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Wow - Didn't really know what to expect here, I don't have much experience with the style so I had very few preconceptions. Starting off, I think I poured it a little rough because I had a 10 minute wait for the white spongy head to die down. There was thick lacing down the sides (thought I had a soapy glass at first). The color is a dull gold with a cloudy vision. It smells of fruit, spice and alcohol - it really has a strong but pleasant smell. You do not have to stress your olfactory skills here. The taste was fruit again, maybe apricot, with spices like nutmeg and cloves - great. Strong finish and very drinkable for such a strong brew. This makes me want to concentrate on this style for a bit.

12-20-2002 06:47:18 | More by doho95fu
JohnnyDuvel

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

I was quite pleased (and suprised) to find this yesterday. I followed a Westleverten 12 with this, and thought this was better. This is my favorite style, and it doesn't get any better. Poured a magnificent head, with good retention. Golden color, great lace. But most of all, a great taste! Fruity, spicy, drinkable, with a helluva punch! If you like Cinq Cents, La Fin Du Monde, Tremens, Don De Dieu, etc., you'll love this. World class, all the way!

01-21-2003 21:52:52 | More by JohnnyDuvel
studentofbeer

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

when i opened it, the first thing i thought was, did i open a cider by mistake? the smell was overwhelmingly tart apple and apple skin. even once poured into my ommegang goblet i detected a lot of sweet and tangy green apple as well as herbal and flower smells.

color was a slightly hazy but perfect hay color. nice head that fell to a slight lace as i drank.

first taste was a knockout--from cider it seemed to have morphed into a super strong ESB. the first taste was strongly english aley-- very bready and earthy. then came a sharp pepper bite mixed with some sour/sweet apple flavor and a bitter herbal aftertaste.

i find this an amazing beer. highly drinkable, imminently complex with flavor profiles from different styles and a strong 9.5 abv, its quite a beer. i only wish i could afford it more often.

06-07-2004 00:27:45 | More by studentofbeer
bditty187

Nebraska

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Largely clear, some sediment slipped into my glass, the liquid was a magical shade of tawny-gold. It is simply beautiful. And this says nothing about the whipped foam topping the beery nectar. The head was at least three fingers in height, the white mass was rocky and it held very well. The head was slow to fade, at the lowest point it was still a finger in height. Impressive. Subsequent lacing was patchy but it clung very well. This beer is pure eye-candy; I’m digging it. The complexity of the nose is very impressive. There is no dominant aroma, nothing stands out but it is not like every aroma is yelling over each other. No they are quite egalitarian, sometimes a smell of hay leads the charge but other times it was funky horse blanket, then again a fruitiness coupled with spice spoke up. There is also pepper, and licorice, sometimes there was a suggestion of bubblegum. Sugary. Tart. Musty. Oranges. Apples in a wooden basket next to an open jar of ginger and nutmeg…boy, was that some poetic drivel or what! Maybe, but it is true. I wish the potency was louder but this is a common complaint with me. Very inviting, I need to stop smelling and take a sip. The palate does have a start and a finish and one hell of a middle! This is unlike the nose. Upfront the palate is raw and surprisingly hoppy, firm bitterness that lingers into the middle where it is quickly teamed up with some well-placed astringency. A bite of alcoholic heat cuts the party short, or so I thought, but in actuality more friends were invited to the party. And they were a fruity bunch! Oranges mainly, lemony citrus too, some apples and grapes in the mix, and these guys start to dance with some spicy ladies. Nutmeg, ginger, coriander, and pepper performed a tasty tango. There were yeasty moments as well but the finish was quite herbal with a noticeable blast of malt (rather clean, very nice!). This ending is quite firm, I like that. In the aftertaste a peppery jolt mixes with some fruit, bubblegum and razor sharp acidity, oh so dry! Bring on a platter of cheese and fruit, please. The palate is heavenly from start to finish. Complex and damn tasty! There is nothing I’d change about the taste. Medium in body, big, lively carbonation, the body is both firm and pliable. Yet there is a softness about it. This is another impressive aspect of this beer. So drinkable, it is yummy beyond words. I could drink this daily and surprisingly it is available in Omaha, where I purchased this bottle for $5.00. I will buy more. I have to. It is so good. This is the best Tripel I have ever had and second best is somewhere in a distant abyss. Highly recommended.

10-13-2004 14:17:38 | More by bditty187
HogHill

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured my Westmalle Tripel into my Rochefort Chalice (oh the sacrilege!), there was barely any head, just a white dusting, but that's probably due to my pouring skillz. The body looks to be a yellow golden haze with some orange highlights.
The aroma that comes wafting to my nostrils as I dip my schnauz into the chalice is that of esters, mainly of the banana variety.
Taste: a complex estery masterpiece. It's a spicy, but balanced, great blend of the esters and yeast, with a sustantially body for a light golden ale.
Feels very carbonated on the tongue, lots of bubbly action which lends to a dry finish. At 9.5% it even leaves me craving for more! I love the Westmalle Tripel, a true classic.

03-11-2005 02:37:15 | More by HogHill
ommegangpbr

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Saw this bottle sitting on the shelf and it was calling to me (a 750mL bottle poured into a chalice).
The first time I tried this was from a couple samples and I recall being stunned by the quality.
This time around the impact isn't as shocking.
However,
This may be my favorite tripel.
It looks, smells and tastes the ways it seems a tripel should and does all those things very well.
It has a bitterness that I've found in other tripels, but it doesn't spill over into a sourness that turns me off. There is some grapefruit flavor without that grapefruit sourness.
Still tart.
Still dry.
Smells smooth and mild with a flavor of an impact that the nose only hints at.
The only major flaw I can find with this is the price and availability.
Though I suppose if it was cheaper and more available it might not be as good.
Ah well.

06-19-2005 04:50:11 | More by ommegangpbr
medic25

Connecticut

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a cloudy orange/brown color, with a little bit of a white head. Sweet, quite malty odor. The taste is a complex balance of flavors; raisin, candy sugar, very faintest trace of hops. For 9.5%, the beer goes down amazingly easily. Drinkability is tremendous; much lighter and crisper than some of the other sickly sweet tripels out there.

06-28-2005 00:20:14 | More by medic25
sinistrsam

Maryland

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

In my mind you can't really buy a better Tripel than this wonderful Trappist. It was poured into a typical Belgian snifter style glass and immediately sprouted an inch-thick, white, foamy, creamy head. It left excellent lacing. The body was amber colored, somewhat hazy.
The aroma was excellent, lots of banana, candy sugar, clove, citrus and sweet fruits. The bouquet was almost enough to sit and enjoy, but the taste was something else as well. You could definitely detect a large ammount of alcohol, but not nearly as much as is actually present. It is well-hidden behind a complex taste of clove, spice, sugars, mild hoppiness, yeasts and bananas. The mouthfeel is slightly carbonated yet not very biting; it's creamy and refreshing and is absolutely excellent to the last sip. Please do yourself a favor and try this beer. Especially if you're a fan of Tripels like me.

11-13-2005 19:56:22 | More by sinistrsam
allengarvin

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Hazy, tarnished gold color with lots of tiny floaters and a small but persistent head. Very fruity aroma (apricot & orange) with a spicy, bright, citrusy hop presence. Huge fresh hop flavor, spicy, with notes of basil or sage, with a biscuity malt flavor and fruity malt character, finishing dry, clean and delightfully bitter. Full carbonation but not too heavy.

Very close to perfect beer for me.

04-19-2006 00:58:21 | More by allengarvin
rarevos

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into Chimay goblet.

A: Pours an opaque golden-yellow. Thick head at first, quickly subsides to light lacing.

S: A mild grassiness and a hint of crisp apple sourness.

T/M: Robust grain up front with a nice sweetness. Just a tiny hint of fruit (the apple from the aroma) and some pepperiness to cut it. Bit of a grassy, "field aroma" that makes it somewhat rustic (not as rustic as a saison, though). Finish is dry and crisp with a light, pleassantly bitter tail.

D: Thankfully, this is really easy to get, and relatively inexpensive. It's a drier tripel, but it has a crispness/dryness that I absolutely crave. This and Cinq Cents are my go-to tripels. Drinks FAR easier than the 9.5% abv would indicate; this bad boy hides the alcohol extremely well.

09-22-2006 20:27:38 | More by rarevos
Hunter

Arizona

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance: Hazy apricot color, pillowy head of white foam. Several thin and active threads of carbonation. Nice lacing effects.

Smell: Notes of citrus, spice, hay, and candi sugar. Light and fresh.

Taste: Alcohol predominates as it hits the tongue, then gives way to a sweet, slightly smoky flavor. Hints of spice and hops. Complex without being overpowering.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation makes for a sharp, palate clearing mouthfeel. Aftertaste is clean, with a lingering taste of grassy citrus.

Drinkability: Lovely and rich, this is not something to have daily, but rather one to have on rare occasion, when you have the time and peace to savor it properly. It's a light a summery sort of beer, but the alcohol will warm you on cold nights just fine. Belgian ales are my favorite, tripels most of all. Westmalle certainly lives up to the Trappist tradition.

12-04-2007 01:18:52 | More by Hunter
Antilochus

Ontario (Canada)

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Purchased at a Kingston, Ontario LCBO as part of the 2008 LCBO Spring Release. 9.50% abv, 33cl bottle. Best before 10/15/2009. Served at cellar temperature. Poured into Chimay chalice, and a little into a nosing glass.

Appearance is a slightly hazy orange, massive off-white rocky and foamy head with lots of large bubbles trapped in the mire. A little suspended lees. This is wonderful to behold. Leaves some marbled rocky foam, leaves a magnificent wall of lace.

Aromas of Belgian yeast, candy sugar, oranges, icing sugar, lots of spice!, banana, clove, apricot, some light resin - citrus? Lemony bubble gum. Apple. Compact nose, almost impenetrable. Subtly alcoholic.

Mouthfeel is medium-light, yet creamy and smooth, carbonation is excellent, not too aggressive as to sting but very refreshing, even for such a high abv beer.

Crystallized oranges, orange rind, bourbon, yeast, vanilla, cake mix, whipped cream, light grapefruit, super peppery (Talisker!), spicy in general too. Lime juice. Palate is sweeter than the finish but it still possesses a subtle sweetness to it that is utterly enjoyable. Alcohol complements all the flavours exceptionally well. Well balanced, not too sweet or yeasty, fruity tangerine apricot bready finish. Hoppy resins leave it lightly bitter (yes!). Warming too, alcohol is very well hidden but catches up with you. This is wonderfully easy to drink.

This is the PERFECT Tripel, better IMHO than even the great Fin Du Monde, and hands down the best beer I have ever had. It is leaving me speechless.

In short: This beer is absurdly good. No beverage has ever impressed me like Westmalle Tripel has. Bravo! (encore)

Second time around: still a wonder to me. Lots of tangerine on the palate this time.

03-09-2008 05:48:33 | More by Antilochus
DoubleJ

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

My family just bought a new HDTV and XBOX360, and soon we'll be getting surround sound installed! I'm going to celebrate with a beer I have high expectations for: Westmalle Tripel. Purchased at the Wine Exchange for $4.99 (330 ml bottle), on to the beer:

This is a very heady and carbonated brew. It pours hazy straw yellow into a chalice, leaving on top a head that shows resistence to fading. Aroma is mellow and sweet. Mixture of phenols, spice, grass, and candy sugar. I like it so far.

The taste of this tripel is what gives Trappist beers a good name. Not too intense and full of different flavors. Some peppermint-like sweetness, medicinal, grassy, light brush of pepper, and spice. Balance is drop-dead beautiful and lighter than one might think given the 9.5% ABV, which helps make this brew dangerously drinkable.

I may not sound all that excited in this review about Westmalle Tripel, but this is one beer that's worthy of the hype. Without question, a highly recommended pick by me, and one beer I'm going to share with my buddies in the future.

03-28-2008 07:38:30 | More by DoubleJ