2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

pDev: 10%

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,209 | Reviews: 1,555 | Show All Ratings:
msquared36

3.39/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bright yellow gold with a crisp white, billowing head. One of the softest foams I've ever seen, leaving thick lacing down the glass.

Scent is yeasty with a hint a sweetness and alcohol.

Taste is malty and sharp. A little sweetness and alcohol, similar to the smell.

Nice refreshing carbonation yet still smooth.

Complex but drinkable.

02-15-2014 22:39:41 | More by msquared36
mgdeth

Montana

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%

Appearance - Beautiful golden color, slightly hazy, very fizzy. Good head retention.

Smell - The nose has a sort of a breezy sweetness, with a subtle spiciness in the background.

Taste - The initial taste is an appley sweetness followed by an alcoholic hotness. I also detect a fruitiness common to many ales. This beer is not as spicy as other tripels I have tried. It is also just not as tasty as other tripels.

Mouthfeel - Solid body, but not thick or overwhelming. A little deceptive, given the 9.5% alcohol.

Drinkability - The alcohol detracts a little from the beer's drinkability, but it is still very good overall.

Comments - Maybe I missed something about this beer, but I do not think it is as great as the rankings appear.

10-31-2005 02:19:04 | More by mgdeth
TehAnkh

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%

A: Pours a pale, passionfruit-like yellow with 1 finger of off-white head that doesn't make a point of sticking around long or leaving much lacing in its wake. Sediment seems to be unavoidable, as it was allowed to settle and warm on the counter and still managed to give me a chunky looking beer.

S: Some light fruits make themselves apparent, along with a little bit of an herbal hop presence that I would describe as somewhat musky. The alcohol really comes through on the nose also.

T: Mildly hoppy, some light grains and light fruits make an appearance, but I'm having trouble getting any standout flavors here. Once again, the alcohol seems to take this beer over, ruining any chances it might have had at leaving any kind of lasting impression.

M: The mouth feel is probably the best aspect of this beer, I found it to be somewhat thick and creamy, nice light carbonation, and very very smooth going down. Nice.

D: I'd maybe have another one, but I don't think I'd buy this again. It's drinkable enough, but as Tripels go, you can do much better things with your money.

02-06-2009 21:17:00 | More by TehAnkh
SilentSabre

North Dakota

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

This first thing I noticed right away with this one was a monstrous banana smell. There may very well be bananas in this one. A bit of cloves. Cloudy yellow orange in colour. Thin fizzy head than hangs around for a bit. Par for the course with Belgians. You know the drill. As much as it pains me to say so, this stuff really has a bitterness to it that I just totally do not care for. Very disappointed indeed. I have been looking forward to tasting this for quite some time now. The texture, or mouthfeel, is quite nice. Smooth and just heavy enough for the style. Again, I don't know what the hell is going on with the taste, but it seems offensively bitter. I am, however, just now getting over a sickness that has incapacitated me for last four days or so. Perhaps my sense of smell and taste are still a bit impaired. I certainly hope so. I should re-review this in about a week or so. Until then, tonights review stands.

01-06-2005 03:05:39 | More by SilentSabre
Prufrock

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

11.2 oz. bottle into a chimay goblet.

hazy orange with an inch of creamy white foam.

yeast, peach, and some spice in the aroma.

flavor is sweet and fruity, a touch alcoholic. balanced nicely with some bready malts, a clean finish and a slightly sour character. alcohol character hurts the drinkability some.

03-13-2006 17:16:11 | More by Prufrock
BeerBelcher

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

I was excited to try this beer, as I've heard a great deal about the Westmalle brewery. I found this beer to be good, but to be honest found myself making unfavorable comparisons to some other tripels Iike Allagash Tripel Reserve and Tripel Karmeliet due to a very mild flavor and a bit of wateriness in the mouthfeel.

A bottle I picked up from a display at Consumer Beverage in Hales Corners. This beer pours a hazy dark yellow with lots of soft secondary-fermentation produced head. Smells tripel-ish with some clove notes and lots of coriander. Flavor is a bit like a white wine up front, with some spiciness on the back end. Not as full-flavored as other tripels I've enjoyed like Tripel Karmeliet, Allagash, and Victory Golden Monkey. Mouthfeel is quite soft, but a bit thin up-front.

04-06-2007 02:31:56 | More by BeerBelcher
steelerguy

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

A - Opened and it was a gusher, had been sitting in refrigerator for over a week and was opened like normal. Lost about 3 oz. of beer. Poured with a two finger head, extremely cloudy, with lots of yeast and junk floating in it. Extremely carbonated, most carbonated beer I have ever had.

S - Clean pilsner malt smell, slightly sweet aroma with some phenolic spice.

T - Some residual sweetness, very spicy phenolics, alcohol, with a somewhat tart and harsh finish.

M - Too carbonated, I like a nice carbonated Trippel but this was ridiculous. Light and dry when you can get past the C02 assaulting your mouth.

D - One was more than enough for me.

I can't even describe how disappointed I was in this beer. I was expecting something extraordinary and what I got more like a decent home brew Belgian Strong Ale. I have two more and am hoping that this was just a bad one. I have never had a gusher like this and the over carbonation was just insane. This can't be the same beer everyone loves so much, especially since I really like Belgians!

04-29-2009 23:47:45 | More by steelerguy
Anthony1

Colorado

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

The aroma is a little sour at first, but soon turns to a milder, Duvel-like aroma of creamy pale malts. The flavor is sweeter and maltier than the other big Trappist tripel, Chimay White. There's a bit of farmhouse funk in the malt, and drop of candy and caramel. It finishes with an obscured hops flavor that's grapefruit-y, but buried under the malt. Overall, I don't think the flavor is that amazing. Yes, it is quite nice, but not my favorite tripel. The carbonation is spot on, but a hint of alcohol detracts from it.

08-09-2010 16:38:35 | More by Anthony1
Padron4KM

Arizona

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz bottle
Pours cloudy orangy/yellow with large chunks of yeast floating about.
I had this bottle sitting undisturbed for three days and poured carefully, yet I still ended up with a lot of yeast.
Head was a decent size but it was short lived.
Aroma was fruity and yeasty and spicy. A little orange peel.
Flavor is spicy, with some floral hop and some citrus zest in the finish.

03-22-2005 05:35:34 | More by Padron4KM
htomsirveaux

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%

11.2 oz. bottle tried 5 Sep 2007.

Large tight yellowish head. Cloudy golden color. Effervescent. Aroma is kind of salty and earthy, somewhat like dry white wine too. Taste is of green bananas, some butter (sigh...). Some white grapes, ethanol slightly warming. Finish is sharp and somewhat bitter. Medium body.

Was expecting a little more from this, maybe a bad bottle?

06-27-2010 18:50:29 | More by htomsirveaux
chinchill

South Carolina

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%

portion of large, fresh bottle served in 6 oz glass.

A - slightly cloudy; golden

S - malty; a bit fruity & hoppy

T - sour; a bit dry & spicy; slight bitter/sour aftertaste

D - very drinkable for a high alcohol beer. Should pair well with many cheeses and other foods.

Superb for type, but have a solid preference for Westmalle Dubbel.

10-01-2010 03:31:16 | More by chinchill
TheBeerAlmanac

Kentucky

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A: Hazy, dark golden color and either has a ridiculous amount of head or else I suddenly forgot how to pour a beer. Seriously, I feel like I’ve overloaded the washing machine. Like when you’re a kid and you pour the whole bottle of bubble bath in the tub, that’s what pouring this beer is like.

S: Smells sweet and succulent with apricots, oranges and bready malts, a lot of what I’m used to in a Belgian.

T/M: Has a low amount of carbonation and actually tastes pretty boozy. Tangy orange zest and hints of pineapple shine through; it’s not as prominent with the darker fruits. The alcohol taste is a bit too strong in this one, which makes me wonder if I should have opted for the dubbel this time.

Honestly, I’m still waiting for that one Trappist ale to sweep me off my feet and show me what it’s all about.

06-16-2011 02:42:06 | More by TheBeerAlmanac
Twincrasher

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Nice haed, dissipates quickly with little lacing.

S: Apricot and esters of banana and citrus fruit.

T: Simlar to above. Grapefruit and saison style almost. Alcoholic.

M: High alcohol makes for dry finish. High carbonation.

O: Good fro this type. Tripels not always my favorite.

12-17-2012 22:00:50 | More by Twincrasher
Garin

Alberta (Canada)

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

It poured a golden yellow colour, slightly cloudy (though the bulk of the sediment remained in the bottle). Some of the sediment is persistently suspended. The head was voluminous, snow white, and cleared within a few minutes in my goblet leaving a thick lacing.

The aroma is decidedly hoppy. Fresh citrusy smells dominate, with some grassy and honey aromas also present.

While it's in my mouth, the flavour is pleasantly but decidedly bitter all around the back of my tongue, and even onto the back of my palate. There is also a little sweetness. Spicy cloves come through, some bitter orange peel, along with a touch of banana. Yeast is present, and probably stronger than it should be (next time I'll let it settle even longer). Mild malt flavours build over time.

In the mouth, it feels smooth and light, with a pleasant warming effect. Light carbonation and the bitter taste let it feel quite sharp, which really masks the alcohol to devastating effect. Oy.

Overall, I find the bitter aftertaste to dominate a little too heavily, and it detracts from the drinkability quite a bit. I'm nearly finished the bottle, and I swear I've just been chewing on orange peels. Still, there are lots of interesting flavours to ferret out here, and it's enjoyable while I'm drinking it. I'd have it again.

04-16-2003 22:13:49 | More by Garin
RedChrome

Connecticut

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

Color was a very light yellow with a slightly hazed appearance. Inch and a quarter high white head was pillow like and took a few minutes to fade. Tiny sized bubbles were in abundance. Lacing in rings.

Very sweet fruit aromas. Bananas, peaches and cherries are blended with strength in that order. Earthy yeast is light against the sweetness. Almost nothing bitter to detect.

Sweet taste with a very strong plastic presence. This had an apple taste hidden behind the initial flavor. Despite the fruit, this one falls short of expectation from the aroma.

Decent feel on the sides of the tongue. Carbonation tingles for a while on all surfaces.

Overall a decent brew. This one would work with a plate of lamb kabobs. A solid beer, that pales when compared to others in the style. Try it if you get a chance, but look for others to rule the style.

06-25-2007 00:43:49 | More by RedChrome
jreitman

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Aroma of citrus fruit, possibly orange. Nice underlying sweetness in the aroma. Highly caromanted and a pale gold in color with a white head. Candi sugar flavor and some orange on the tongue. Smooth drinking with a medium body. Overall quite pleasant.

07-05-2003 09:53:34 | More by jreitman
NJpadreFan

Westmalle- Trappist Tripel

Appearance- cloudy golden yellow with a thick creamy white whipped cream head.
Smell- Light banana and sugar.
Mouthfeel- Sweet candy sugar with a mild banana flavor.
Mouthfeel- This is where the beer goes down hill! At first the flavor hits you but quckly it transforms into a bitter alcohol laden taste. It sits in the back of your throat, bleech.

Overall- A good looking smelling and even tasting beer, but the aftertaste is just bleeech!

09-15-2006 20:42:35 | More by NJpadreFan
thirdeye11

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Presentation: Poured from a 330ml Westmalle bottle into a Westmalle chalice glass.

A: This beer pours a beautiful 1 finger head into the very wide-mouthed Westmalle chalice-style glass, and recedes slowly. There is always a layer of carbonation/head on the top which I find to be a good thing. There is minimal lacing if any at all.

S: I can't really get a lot from the smell of this beer, but a slight skunkiness maybe, and some sour/bitter apple comes through as well. I think I would have preferred it in a Duvel glass actually.

T: This beer is extremely peppery. I really compare this to La Fin Du Monde because for me that beer does an excellent job of balancing sweetness and pepperiness, but the Westmalle is way over the top in the pepperiness side. For those looking to drink a less sweet tripel though, this is probably right up your alley. I just didn't prefer it. There was also a light fruity taste that I couldn't put my finger on, but was more in the aftertaste than up front. The pepper just seems to cover everything.

M: This beer is also too carbonated. It is one of the best palate cleansers I have had which is good, but it is just too dry and overcarbonated for my tastes.

D: I have only had this one twice, and each time I am left not wanting another. I enjoyed the first one I had, and respect this beer for what it is but for me I don't ever see myself drinking more than one.

Overall Westmalle tripel is a complete departure from almost every other tripel I have had in that it is extremely dry, very peppery both times I have had it, but drinking through the first bottle is definitely not a chore. I will definitely get this again, but I don't think I would drink more than one in a night. I also would choose several others in the style over the Westmalle. Even if Westmalle was as cheap as some other offerings (which it isn't, it's one of the most expensive tripels out there) I still think I would pick others over it regularly.

Highly recommended as I know some love this beer, but not my favorite.

03-13-2009 14:00:29 | More by thirdeye11
kingcrowing

Vermont

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

11.2oz bottle poured into a chalice.

Pours a nice light golden color with a big fat fluffy head that dies down a bit. Nose is light, very yeasty and sweet, very light and it has a bit of hoppy.

Mouthfeel is very sharp and very carbonated, it's light and smooth quite tasty. it kind of blows up in your mouth and fills it with flavor. Taste is not nearly as boozy as you'd expect given the abv. overall I'd say it's one of the better trappist beers I've had.

10-02-2009 01:26:11 | More by kingcrowing
CrazyDavros

Australia

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours pale amber with a ridiculously large head despite very careful and slow pouring.
Bready yeast dominates the aroma, with some white wine, soft alcohol and sweet clean malt showing underneath. That doughy yeast is way too strong!
Flavours are pretty sweet! Add to that the very noticeable alcohol and you end up with a extremely cloying beer. In the background there's more of that overwhelming yeast and it all ends with a sharp finish that seems to be from the alcohol rather than the bitterness.

11-26-2009 09:44:21 | More by CrazyDavros
GreenCard

Oregon

3.53/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance: yellowish-gold hue with a tantalizing layer of pure-white head (creamy on top and spongey beneath), slight haziness, some varied-size bubbles rising quickly

Aroma: a big bloom of banana and malt initially, then clove and a bit of cotton candy, wisps of alcohol, bubble-gum, isopropyl

Flavor: peppery alcohol flavor is dominant (like a stiff drink!); the alcohol blooms in the palate and sort of disappears, leaving: a grainy maltiness and some over-ripe pear fruitiness followed by a terse bitter taste (not so sure if it's from hops, though); the finish is pretty dry with the bitterness lingering long in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium body, champagne-like carbonation, lots of alcohol warmth

09-16-2003 14:38:29 | More by GreenCard
Dawkfan

Alberta (Canada)

3.53/5  rDev -17.9%

Just picked up the Westmalle gift pack that included 3 Tripels and 3 Dubbels plus a beautiful looking chalice that will probably rival my Duvel tulip, I just know it.

A- Pours a golden honey with a fingers width of white head. No real lacing to speak of which is disappointing although the thin cap that remains on top of the body is a plus.

S- Much mellower than I'm use to with Tripels. The first thing I picked up on was bananna peels followed by a fruity sweetness. Bready yeast in the background.

T- Different from the smell. I get a lot of bubblegum flavor and some spice. Sour apple bitterness in the aftertaste mixed with alcohol.

M- I found the body to be lighter than usual for a tripel and the carbonation was a bit to much. Finish is dry and the alcohol really sits in the mouth for awhile.

D- Although this isn't my favorite style, I just didn't think it stacked up against some of the other tripels I've had. I wanted to enjoy it because I really love trappist beers, but there is definitely better options out there IMO.

03-12-2010 05:52:10 | More by Dawkfan
Wisconsin93

Wisconsin

3.53/5  rDev -17.9%

A - pours a mellow orange. Has a cloudy, unfiltered look. Nice head retention with noticeable lattice.

S - Boozy and peppery. Small hint of citrus, mostly lemon. Overall a complex bouquet, but not very strong

T - Spicy. We almost tasted vanilla, but very faint. It was juicy, but still a very dry-tasting beer. Not very sweet.

M - High carbonation with a silky feel. Left us salivating between sips. Lots of complexity here. Our favorite part.

07-02-2011 21:40:39 | More by Wisconsin93
russwbeck

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Hazy yellow pour into my St. Bernardus goblet with about a finger of white head. Large bubbly lacing runs down the side of the glass for only a fleeting moment before plunging back into the beer.

S: The aroma is full of clove and bananas, some booze, Belgian yeast and candied sugar. Pretty typical of a tripel, balanced, but not overly impressive.

T: The taste is really spicy and fruity. The booze is nowhere to be found, and the typical warming alcohol feeling seems to be missing, which is really surprising considering the ABV. Very sweet, the taste seems to be just not up to par with other Tripels I've had.

MF: A bit over carbonated with a light body. Dry finish.

O: This was good, and a pretty decent baseline for the style, but it just didn't blow me away. It just seemed too plain.

12-01-2011 04:13:02 | More by russwbeck
BierStein711

11.2 oz bottle poured into St. Bernardus chalice

Golden hazy yellow, much like a hefeweizen or Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde.

Three finger head that was reduced in ten minutes, and disappeared after twenty minutes.

S: Barley, alcohol, and wheat

T: Wheat and barley malts, hop bitterness, and a subtle bite

M: Heavy, but not as heavy as some Russian Imperial Stouts or some other Belgians

Overall, this is a beer with a prestigious name that I would not seek out due to both price and the fact that I didn't care for it that much.

12-26-2011 04:52:49 | More by BierStein711