Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
3.23/5  rDev -24.9%

11.2 oz bottle into a Chimay goblet

A: Poured a 1/2" white head that thinned to a coating. Minimal lacing. Deep dark golden body.

S: Spicy aroma. A bit hoppy as well. Alcohol appears as it warms.

T: Not as sweet as expected. Alcohol a bit too present. Complex - spicy w/ coriander, pepper, and more, plus tart fruit and yeast, with a hoppy finish.

M: High carbonation. Medium body, but very dry. Also, a minimal alcohol burn.

D: The alcohol is too pronounced to allow me to drink too many. It's a bit too bitter as well.

I'm not a huge tripel fan, but I do enjoy them. Considering the ratings of this one, I was disappointed.

3.25/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours nicely with an appetizing golden appearance. Aroma is possibly Saaz with some alcohol, and is good not great.

Taste has too much alcohol for me with not nearly enough sweet to balance. Very dry overall. Yeast character seems funky, though that could be the hops (again Saaz?) what it is is definitely a spicy characteristic that I want to attribute to the yeast. The amount of fruity yeast esters is lacking for the style.

While far from terrible I really don't like the flavor balance of this beer which leans too far towards alcohol. Might be my least favorite triple of the trappist and major abbey brands. Has always seemed overrated to me.

3.28/5  rDev -23.7%

11.2 oz bottle served at cellar temperature into a St Bernardus goblet. Pours a clear, honey gold with a billowy, ivory head that retains well, and leaves classic Belgian sheet lacing behind. Nice aroma of bananas, cloves, and alcohol. Mouthfeel has fizzy carbonation and hard alcohol bite. Alcohol hits the palate immediately, without any disguise. Not good. Hop and yeasty bitterness dominate the taste. At room temperature, some banana and pear tastes struggle to emerge, but don't really arrive. I found this Tripel difficult to finish, as the taste is all unpleasant bitterness and overwhelming alcohol. Maybe the yeasts got out of whack in this bottle, but it's the first Belgian Tripel I didn't like. Very ho-hum.

3.28/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured into a Chimay goblet and had to slow down to keep the head contained, it practically jumped out of the glass. Golden yellow, head is white and not all that sticky.
Fruity sweetness along with some earthy notes in the nose. However, I got way too much funkiness and sourness combined with a weird bitterness in the flavor. I know this is a world class beer with tons of history, but this Tripel just isn't for me. I was able to drink the whole thing without a problem, but I don't think I'll be going down this road again.

3.28/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured a light amber color with a thick white head with lots of lacing. Looks great.

Smelled of bananas, alcohol and slightly grassy with some cloves.

Taste of bananas, cloves, yeast, phenol. Everything was on more of the mild side. Was expected more full flavors from this one. Mouthfeel was a bit thinner that I expected, and I could really taste the alcohol.

Not quite as good as I thought it would be, not sure if this sat out in the light to long. I liked the dubbel more. Still a good beer.

3.28/5  rDev -23.7%

First off, this beer has easily the largest head I"ve ever seen on a beer, big white, fluffy, foam. Good retention, some lacing too. Cloudy, deep gold body with lots of bubbles. I like the aroma, very sweet, but a light sweetness. I hint of floral hops hiding in there too. Can really taste the alcohol in this, a little too much. It has a very dry finish, that actually leaves me thirsty. Doesn't taste as sweet as it smells

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle