Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
3.23/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours a hazy orange color with a big white foamy head. Smell is very yeasty and spicey with notes of orange and citrus. Taste is sweet and fruity with lots of spices, citrus, green apples and orange. There's also a quite big alcohol touch which I'm not too found of. Feels unbalanced... I don't know. I have problem with this one, which is a bit weird since the actually aromas and flavours is nice, but maybe it's just a bit too sweet? Or is it the alcohol? Not very drinkable at all, but I'm gonna check it out some other time... I much prefer Chimay White if I want a tripel.

3.24/5  rDev -24.7%

A: This pours a lovely cloudy golden/orange color. A huge foamy head forms and leaves tons of sticky lace down my snifter.
S: A very strong aroma, but I don't find it very appealing. It is fruity with a bit of apricot, but it is also very pungent and funky.
T: Very tart, sweet, and kind of syrupy. Alcohol comes through as the beer warms. This is not the best tasting triple I have ever had.
D: The high alcohol content comes through and makes this hard to drink.

Overall, an average triple. This is not my favorite example of the style, but it is still worth a try.

3.24/5  rDev -24.7%

06/21/06- Purchased at Jackson's Wine and Spirits in Lafayette, CA.

Presentation- 11.2oz bottle. Date strip on the side, but unnothced..although there is a date stamped on the bottle that says Dec 2005. Assuming that this is the best by date as I have had the bottle aging for about two years. Didn't really think much of it as I'm assuming a good tripel should be able to age that long with no ill effects. Poured into my Westmalle chalice.

Appearance- Peachy-orange colored pour. Whoops, a bit to much on the pour as a huge chunk of yeast dropped in my glass and then broke apart into little protien balls and yeast flakes. None to appetizing right now. Head was only a 1/2 inch as first which shrunk to a rim in no time flat. Lacing was very minimal.

Smell- Light alcoholic esters. Lots of spicy goodness. Sweet smelling tropical fruits.

Taste- Sadly I am disappointed. This one is all alcohol. From sip one that's about all I got. An overwhelming taste of alcohol. Made this 9% beer taste like a 15% beer. Also seemed a bit watered down at times. Beneath all that there was a tropical fruity base with some spicyness.

Mouthfeel- Average carbonation...alcohol aftertaste. Your friends will think you are a drunk after drinking this one.

Drinkability- Past it's prime? Not sure. Other people think the same about the alcohol. Maybe just not my cup of tea for a tripel. I still have a bomber of this stashed away within it's best by period. I'll have to bust it out real soon for comparrison.

3.25/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Triples are typically not my desired style of mine. As this warmed it just got worse for me.

3.27/5  rDev -24%

I far preferred the Dubbel to the Tripel, The appearance was cloudy, and a bit uninspiring. The smell was nice but mostly oranges and pears, while the taste was quite nice tasting of oranges and cream, but slightly heavy on the Hops. The mouthfeel and drinkability were definitely below par.

3.27/5  rDev -24%

11.2 oz bottle into a Chimay goblet

A: Poured a 1/2" white head that thinned to a coating. Minimal lacing. Deep dark golden body.

S: Spicy aroma. A bit hoppy as well. Alcohol appears as it warms.

T: Not as sweet as expected. Alcohol a bit too present. Complex - spicy w/ coriander, pepper, and more, plus tart fruit and yeast, with a hoppy finish.

M: High carbonation. Medium body, but very dry. Also, a minimal alcohol burn.

D: The alcohol is too pronounced to allow me to drink too many. It's a bit too bitter as well.

I'm not a huge tripel fan, but I do enjoy them. Considering the ratings of this one, I was disappointed.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle