Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,659 | Hads: 4,224
4.41/5  rDev +3%

Poured into my tulip, this beer had a head to rival Duvel. The beer itself was a light topaz, and I kid you not, the head had the texture of stiff meringue. Fantastic.

The nose was slightly underwhelming, but in the end, still good. Very spicy, both sweet and peppery, with a good nip of alcohol. A little fruit was there, as well, but it was in the background.

The flavor was fantastic. Tart, juicy apples, plenty of spice from the yeast, and a little bready malt on the finish, but just a little. Very dry and bracing, just as a Tripel should be. Alcohol is definitely noted, but not obtrusive. It's creamy and light in the mouth, just perfect for a warm spring day.

Overall, Westmalle Tripel has vaulted itself into my top beers. I had sampled another trappist ale a few hours before this one, and I thought it was very good, but not quite great. This one is truly top shelf.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Before I talk about the beer I have to say the bottle is really cool. I opened this beer very carefully and was surprised by a snow white head that slowly peaked out of the top. I had to pour this a little slower than normal to keep the head under control. This beer pours a very nice golden color with a tall head. The head has really great retention although a little thin feeling.

A distinct smell of yeast balanced by sweet grains and a hint of alcohol.

I great tasting beer with a somewhat bitter aftertaste.

Great mouthfeel but the head is a little too thin.

Overall a very drinkable beer. I'm just finishing this one and I can feel it working. I couldn't imagine having more than two of these. This is serious stuff.

This is definately worth a try. I will do this again!

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

A: light straw color, hazy, light head with great lacing.

S: Fruity, sweet smell, reminiscent of apricots, very nice.

T: Excellent malt flavor, smooth, clean taste. Some alcohol warmth at finish.

M: Soft mouth feel, fairly high carbonation, but typical of style.

O: This is one of the best, it really defines the tripel style for me.

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

App: Really nice, thick, fluffy two-finger head that just stays and stays. I poured this five minutes ago and it's still barely moved. Nice deep golden cloudy color, too. The head on this is really a beautiful thing.

Smell: Slight banana smell, almost a little skunky or funky. Kind of interesting but nothing too special. Basic tripel nose.

Taste:A little bit of spice, actually really heavy on the alcohol. Definitely comes through quite a bit. Almost a dry sort of finish. Not a whole lot of complexity coming through to me. I don't know if my bottle is just off but I'm not too thrilled with this one so far. It's pretty good but not great.

Mouthfeel: Not bad, nothing special. A little dry in the finish, flavor stays with you for a while. Not cloying or anything but just kind of a nice reminder that you're drinking a beer until your next sip.

Drinkability: I think flavor-wise you could definitely do a few of these, even with the alcohol bite but the alcohol would catch up to anybody. It's got a kind of creeping warmth to it that I really like. It hits you slow and kind of simmers. A pretty good beer overall, I've had some tripels I've been more impressed with (Allagash comes to mind). Nice beer but world class might be pushing it.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

29/08/09 bottle stamp date (2nd). Chose a goblet with this Tripel. I sampled this beer twice and used the second for this review. I store all my Belgians (Strong Darks, Dubbels & Tripels) @ 57*F and allow them to warm slightly before consuming. however, I should have paid heed to the suggested temp. on the bottle-45-50*F>>>they should know! This is the temp. used for this review. I think the alcohol starts to overtake the unique flavors if it warms too much.
This pours a slight hazy yellow/gold hue with a good and consistent thick head. The smell was not what I expected from a Tripel-fresh apricot & a little citrus. The taste was also a surprise. Crisp w/ over-the-top carbonation and a definite backdrop of the 9.5% ABV. This is a great beer but it seems to better exemplify a different style.
Mouthfeel was refreshing and clean & almost served as its own palate cleanser. I could drink more than one of these at a sitting (as I did with this review) and would consider this to be a 4 days/week beverage. Again, a great beer but I liked the Dubbel better.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Pours an appealing golden-yellow/muddy orange with a nice head.

S: Knocked my socks off! Huge banana bread, peaches?, and some clove with light alcohol scent. Smells amazing

T: There is just a ton going on here. Great fruit up front. Tart-maybe slight lemon/acidic fruits. Mid-way through you get the alcohol but not overwhelming. Just adds a nice spice. Very impressive. Im sure ill pull a ton more on my second glass as this is complex.

M/D: Nice tingle from the carbonation but just enough to wake the palate. I could sip on this one all day. Nothing like a Trappist brew... :)

3.22/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle into a Duvel glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow with a generous white head.

S: Lots of grapefruit in the nose with a nice earthiness underlying the citrus. Very inviting aroma with a slight hint of vanilla.

T: Somewhat watery with a lingering lemon rind bitterness. An alcoholic bite builds with subsequent sips. A slight hint of grapefruit with bitterness from noble hops.

M: Slightly on the dry side with a relatively pleasant aftertaste.

D: Very drinkable in spite of the high alcohol content. The flavor is somewhat underwhelming but it goes down quite easily and is remarkably refreshing. It's definitely the kind of beer that would sneak up on you over the course of an evening.

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 33cl bottle, beautiful pour. Great foamy head. Would recommend pouring in goblet or tulip or you might wait a while to drink. Good hop aroma, with hints of citrus. Taste has a bit of a bite with hop aftertaste.

O: Great tripel, not my favorite but close to it. Pleasant bite and good hoppiness. Would make a great strong summer beer.

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

you will drink most of this one with your nose...

served from a bottle, into a snifter glass...

Appearance is typical of the style, straw-colored, and cloudy

Smell is EXCEPTIONAL... As I said, you will drink most of this one with your nose... forget drinking it, pour it into your glass and put your nose in it... keep inhaling... lots of apples at first, followed by a whiff of menthol alcohol (not overpowering - just enough to enhance the rest of the nose) - followed by intense bananas and peaches... wonderful... layer after layer of smell... this beer's main strength is it's aromas....

Taste - Extremely dry and light - it makes total sense with the extreme nose of the beer... you smell it, enjoy the wonderful complexity of the nose, and then take a sip, and it is wrapped up with a perfectly carbonated, light, crisp and dry flavor.... heavenly...

Mouthfeel - very light... lightest of any tripel i've had...

Drinkability - Wow, I got this for about $5 per bottle... i wish I had a six pack of it... i could drink this forever... what a wonderful overall experience... as I said, don't expect this one to be just a flavor bomb - it is a nose bomb with an appropriate flavor...

edited to say - watch out for the hangover on this one... pretty harsh...

A: Golden-caramel, with lots of particulate. Off-white one-finger head. Served in a chalice.

S: Malt, caramel and a very light note of citrus.

T: Pleasantly bitter. Very earthy.

M: Quite carbonated.

D: Pretty high, but definitely a beer to savor.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

A-pours a golden hay color with a respectable head, solid two fingers at least. lots of yeast solids floating about, still clear otherwise.

S-trappist funkiness, subliminal spiciness bombards my nose. slight old banana bread notes in there as well.

T-Complex and deceptive. Occasionally the alcohol reminds you its there, but mostly it is masked by the perfectly balanced malt and hop profile. The Belgian yeast really shines through on this one, gloriously engaging both the nose and taste buds each sip. Mildly sweet, funky, yet not very bitter. I'm sure the hops must be there though to balance the high gravity of this brew.

M-Smooth and silky. This brew coats the entire mouth and really feels nice. You could even possibly extend this to include "throatfeel", because the smoothness really continues even after each swallow.

D-Like all big belgian pales, this is way too drinkable. I want a sixer, and I want to drink this classy beer in the most unclassy way possible.

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

I'm pouring at 63 degrees into an 11oz snifter.

It pours with a hazy light amber/golden color with a thick head that sticks around for a while. Very little lacing. It reminds me of other Trappist products I've seen before, mostly Chimay.

It's smell is very nice, very subtle. It's a bit sour, but citrus sour. Lemons maybe. I can smell the alcohol for sure (9.5%), but it's not overpowering, I can still smell the beer itself.

I haven't had many trippels, but I think this is about the same as the ones I've had before. The initial taste is very light, but still very hard to get past the alcohol. It's very complex, hard to really get a feel for everything that's going on in this beer. For me, that's not a bad thing, it just makes me want to drink more so I can taste it all! The finish is slightly bitter, maybe a little citrus sour. I've come to recognize this as a "Belgian Ale" thing. The finish kind of catches in the back of your throat and gives for an interesting aftertaste.

I like the amount of carbonation, it seems to compliment the bitter finish. It's not thick, but not thin, I think this has a very nice mouthfeel. As for drinkability, I'll say I'm not going to shy away from this beer, but I doubt I'll buy a case anytime soon. It's got good characteristics, but it's just not something I would drink every day.

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

33cl brown bottle with raised glass stamped "Westmalle" around the neck. Best Before 03/2017. My first top notch beer ever, so I must try it again and re-review it.

Appearance: beautiful cloudy golden liquid with a enormous head, lots of carbonation and big bubbles. Some yeast floating inside and on bottom of the bottle.

Smell: malts, spices and some fruity aroma I really like but don't know what it is. Sweet and bitter at the same time, very well balanced. The alcohol is in there, but its not agressive at all. It's very complex.

Taste: very much like the smell with honey notes - delicious malts and honey-, some sweetness that develop in a nice bitter aftertaste, all this mixed with some fruity/spicy character in there. It's a very organic and natural mix of flavours.

Mouthfeel: really nice, the champagne like bubbles are a pleasure to taste, and the fizzy feeling remained in my mouth after and hour and a half of drinking it. This beer is creamy but not in a dense way, amazingly drinkable, and the alcohol warms you pretty quickly. Feels great and you regret not having more of this.

Overall: It's a great beer, the best I've tried so far, but of course, it's the first world class I drank. I expected more fruitiness, but this is not a con at all, it's just the way it is: liquid gold.

4.09/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a pure white head, small bubbles, and very creamy looking, decent lacing on the glass. Nice yellow hugh to the beer.

Smell:Can smell some apricots, bit of citrus and hops, a bit of honey somewhere in the middle, behind all the other aromatics. Not too bad, not as good as the Achel though for smell. Just needs more of everything, too subtle.

Taste: Hops! this is by far the hoppiest Triple i have had. Tarty, slightly acidic, some soft fruits, that briefely come up, little alcohol, slightly pepper-like. Finshes with a quick, sharp, and strong bitterness, and lingers for a little while, with dryness. It seems as though there are many soft fruit complexities that are hidden behind all of the strong hop flavor/characteristics, its nice to try and be able to see if a person can find them. Makes the mouth water! P.S as the beer warms, the hop sharpness decreases.

Mouthfeel: Fairly creamy, coating, slight, and i mean very slight astringancy. Not bad!

Drinkability: A Joy to drink, i see this as a powerful triple that is to be respected for its strength, and is one to have on occasion. Can't have too many of these, for its intense flavour, not because of its alcohol.

I will revisit this again in the future

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

A - If you do not pour it carefully you will get a glass full of head, but don't worry boys and girls it will sink quickly so you can fill up the glass correctly. I personally prefer every beer to be poured into Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

S - Smells AMAZING a bit of bready and honey smell of the typical trappist or Abbey Ale.

T- Make sure you chill this, it usually isn't refrigerated when you buy it, if you heed my words you will love this. It tastes of honey and has the refreshing heaviness of bread. Has a fruity spiciness to it.

M - Carbonation, Honey, bread is all combined to create one of the most beautifully formed orchestra, it is music to my tastebuds.

D - With an 9.5% I am not able to taste the alcohol, this drink has some carbonation to it but you can just taste how natural it is. The honey intermingles with the fruity breadiness of a top quality Trappist.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

This is simply stated one of my favorite beers.

It is not big and bold in flavor, but mellow and fully rounded. It has a gorgeous golden hue that is not entirely clear, and yet just shy of hazy in my opinion. The overall appearance of this beer is further enhanced by one of the best stemmed glasses I have seen (as with other Belgian Beers, Westmalle has its own glass, which in this case is a stemmed glass with cut optics and a classic looking Westmalle label).

This beer must be treated with respect - both out of heritage (a beer tradition going back to 1834, and this tripel coming about in 1934), and out of respect for its strength. At 9.5%, this is a beer best enjoyed contemplatively and in moderation.

In my opinion, one of the best Belgian Trappist beers, and one of the best Strong Pale Ale's in the world - truly a world class beer.

I highly recommend this beer, and two of its glasses have proudly become a part of my glass collection.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've manage the beer department of a large liquor store the past year and have been homebrewing the past five years. Tasting Sept 7, 2015. Poured from a 11.2 fluid oz bottle at 50*F / 10*C. Bottle Best Before End Date: Mar 23, 2017.
LOOK: Golden yellow color, decent clarity, high carbonation and a big white long lasting head are perfect for this style. As is the AROMA, this characteristic is perfect for the style: complex, spicy and peppery.
TASTE: Although it is true to style, it is almost too much so. Very peppery and phenolic.
FEEL: It feels light to medium in body and easy to drink for its' alcohol content.
OVERALL: It is a great beer to pair with sweet or strong food as it can hold its' own alongside them.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottle, best before August 20 2015, poured into a Leffe goblet.

A- Beautiful. Bright straw yellow with one finger of bright white head.

S - Not a whole lot on the nose. A light sweetness. Some yeast. Light citrus note, particularly lemon grass. Very little alcohol.

T - Sweet, candy sugar, syurp, with a pleasent spiceness, corriander. A tangyness at the end, like a marmalade. Long dry, spicy finish.

F - Tons of carbonation. A real zingy mouthfeel.

O - What can I say about Westmalle? It is the quintessential Belgian tripel in my opinion. This is the beer that started my love affair with Belgian ales. In the winter I always have a stock of Chimay Blue, and the summer is always westmalle season in my house. Nothing better than a westmalle triple with some irish style BBQ.

4.11/5  rDev -4%

a first in tripel style i tasted. overall pretty tasty and has some sweet but i didnt enjoy aftertaste much. maybe i'm just nw to it, however that aside, smell and taste were enjoyable. good beer.

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very cloudy golden/yellow. Chunky sediment at bottom. Great, thick, full head that lasted through most of the drink. Bits of sediment actually rested on top of the head.
Smell: Wheaty. Bitter sweet hoppiness.
Taste: Wow - great taste. Great Belgian Ale! Hints of apricots. Bitter on your breath at the end.
Mouthfeel: Good, medium to heavy carbonation. Fills up and gets foamy on the slush.
Drinkability: Definitely drinkable. Fairly filling.
ABV: 9.5%
Serving Type: 11.2 oz bottle

This beer was actually gifted to me, so I had no idea what to expect. LOVED it! Great Belgian Ale. I got a kick out of the appearance (I actually like to see a little sediment - and this one had some resting on the head 'til just about the very last drop.). This beer stands up well on it's own or I'd recommend with a light meal. Maybe some chicken or roasted veggies. It was surprisingly filling. But I would definitely drink this beer again.

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a goblet.

The beer pours a golden, straw like, hazy yellow with a big frothy head that last and lasts. The lace just blankets the sides of the glass. A great looking beer.

It has a very strong citrus scent, mainly of lemon, but there's also something very herbal about it as well. Some grassy notes.

The taste is similar to the smell, lots of lemon and herbal flavors, a bit grassy. However, as the beer warms a sweeter flavor is imparted. I get a very smooth honey flavor at the end as it warms up, the flavors really shine at this time.

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

Nice blond lady here. The Westmalle has a hazy yellow color that reminds of lager, but this Tripel Trappist beer is a lot more than that. It gives a nice persistent foam and never loses its fog-of-yeast.

The smell is amazing, you would expect it to be a dark beer from its odour alone, but it's not. The taste and mouthfeel leave few things to be desired. This beer delivers a strong kick and has a nice acidic (lemon) afterfeel.

You would love to drink more than one, since this one masquarades as a simple lager to an amateur, but then you're gonna pass by far the 0.05% limit in most countries! :)

3.62/5  rDev -15.4%

It's probably not for me to review this beer. I respect the Westmalle Trappist monks, I really do. They have made their own proprietary yeast for centuries, and I've come to love it through Lagunitas' seasonal "Little Sumpin' Wild" offering - an American DIPA paired with a distinctive Belgian yeast. The two come together IMO, to make magic.

So when I found a $6 bottle of the Westmalle Trippel at (of all places) a Kroger, I thought "this is a life experience that I should have." And then, OK, I had it.

The good news is that I can tell that this is a masterful concoction. It's sort of in the same way that I can tell that an operatic soprano is magnificent, though I really just don't care to listen to her. The fact is - I'm a hops guy. I'm an IBU guy. Westmalle Trippel is surely magnificent also, but it's just not me. My wife would like it - it compares more favorably in taste, color and mouthfeel to a champagne than most ales - but there's no bitter and malty interplay, less complexity. It's light, sweet, refreshing, and very, very fizzy.

So I struggled to give fair ratings to an ale that I don't happen to like, but whose achievements are just lost on me due to my own limitations. Nevertheless, I figure that there are probably some IPA aficionados out there who would be intrigued at the opportunity to try a world-class ale and are wondering if they'd like it. My advice - if you like champagne, you'll love this ale. If you love hops, probably not.

I toured Holland and Belgium the past three years and I really had the opportunity to try some of the very best English, Dutch, German and Belgian beers. This past spring I tasted Westmalle Trippel for the first time. In fact, I enjoyed 2-3 bottles every day! I had it first in a little cafe in Amsterdam. My feet were killing me and I had to take a rest. I was waiting for Golem to open at 4:00 PM and had two more hours to go. Anybody who has toured Amsterdam knows that walking around is the coolest thing in the world. You have historic gorgeous canal houses, museums and evn beautiful Dutch women to feast your eyes upon!

Back to the beer.. Westmalle Trippel was unbelievably tasty and refreshing and consistent. I had it at several more bars and in Brugges I bought a couple of bottles at a 7-11 type store to enjoy in my hotel with my friends. I sat outside in a cafe in Leiden and watched the students go by and enjoyed a beautiful day. At 3 euros per bottle at the cafe, and 1.5 euros at the convenience stores it was a downright bargain. There are many other wonderful beers to try and I enjoyed the T'IJ brewery in Amsterdam tremendously, but the best beer for the buck and the most readily available was Westmalle.

Try it on your next trip. Simply OUTSTANDING!!!

3.85/5  rDev -10%

Served in a glass chalice

A: Cloudy golden with a substantial, persistent head

S: Mostly yeast and grain, slightly sweet

T: Quite sweet, but not overbearingly so - initial overtones of banana and kiwi followed by a number of spices, nutmeg in particular. I can definitely taste the high alcohol content.

M: Relatively thin compared to other similar beers I've tried in the past. Pairs nicely with the flavor.

O: It has the complexity of flavor that I've come to expect from Trappist beers, but it doesn't feel overly intense - instead it's quite refreshing and drinkable. Definitely one of my favorites from Belgium so far.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle