Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,072 | Reviews: 1,640
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very cloudy golden/yellow. Chunky sediment at bottom. Great, thick, full head that lasted through most of the drink. Bits of sediment actually rested on top of the head.
Smell: Wheaty. Bitter sweet hoppiness.
Taste: Wow - great taste. Great Belgian Ale! Hints of apricots. Bitter on your breath at the end.
Mouthfeel: Good, medium to heavy carbonation. Fills up and gets foamy on the slush.
Drinkability: Definitely drinkable. Fairly filling.
ABV: 9.5%
Serving Type: 11.2 oz bottle

This beer was actually gifted to me, so I had no idea what to expect. LOVED it! Great Belgian Ale. I got a kick out of the appearance (I actually like to see a little sediment - and this one had some resting on the head 'til just about the very last drop.). This beer stands up well on it's own or I'd recommend with a light meal. Maybe some chicken or roasted veggies. It was surprisingly filling. But I would definitely drink this beer again.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a goblet.

The beer pours a golden, straw like, hazy yellow with a big frothy head that last and lasts. The lace just blankets the sides of the glass. A great looking beer.

It has a very strong citrus scent, mainly of lemon, but there's also something very herbal about it as well. Some grassy notes.

The taste is similar to the smell, lots of lemon and herbal flavors, a bit grassy. However, as the beer warms a sweeter flavor is imparted. I get a very smooth honey flavor at the end as it warms up, the flavors really shine at this time.

4.17/5  rDev -3%

Nice blond lady here. The Westmalle has a hazy yellow color that reminds of lager, but this Tripel Trappist beer is a lot more than that. It gives a nice persistent foam and never loses its fog-of-yeast.

The smell is amazing, you would expect it to be a dark beer from its odour alone, but it's not. The taste and mouthfeel leave few things to be desired. This beer delivers a strong kick and has a nice acidic (lemon) afterfeel.

You would love to drink more than one, since this one masquarades as a simple lager to an amateur, but then you're gonna pass by far the 0.05% limit in most countries! :)

I toured Holland and Belgium the past three years and I really had the opportunity to try some of the very best English, Dutch, German and Belgian beers. This past spring I tasted Westmalle Trippel for the first time. In fact, I enjoyed 2-3 bottles every day! I had it first in a little cafe in Amsterdam. My feet were killing me and I had to take a rest. I was waiting for Golem to open at 4:00 PM and had two more hours to go. Anybody who has toured Amsterdam knows that walking around is the coolest thing in the world. You have historic gorgeous canal houses, museums and evn beautiful Dutch women to feast your eyes upon!

Back to the beer.. Westmalle Trippel was unbelievably tasty and refreshing and consistent. I had it at several more bars and in Brugges I bought a couple of bottles at a 7-11 type store to enjoy in my hotel with my friends. I sat outside in a cafe in Leiden and watched the students go by and enjoyed a beautiful day. At 3 euros per bottle at the cafe, and 1.5 euros at the convenience stores it was a downright bargain. There are many other wonderful beers to try and I enjoyed the T'IJ brewery in Amsterdam tremendously, but the best beer for the buck and the most readily available was Westmalle.

Try it on your next trip. Simply OUTSTANDING!!!

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Served in a glass chalice

A: Cloudy golden with a substantial, persistent head

S: Mostly yeast and grain, slightly sweet

T: Quite sweet, but not overbearingly so - initial overtones of banana and kiwi followed by a number of spices, nutmeg in particular. I can definitely taste the high alcohol content.

M: Relatively thin compared to other similar beers I've tried in the past. Pairs nicely with the flavor.

O: It has the complexity of flavor that I've come to expect from Trappist beers, but it doesn't feel overly intense - instead it's quite refreshing and drinkable. Definitely one of my favorites from Belgium so far.

3.77/5  rDev -12.3%

Color: A lovely honey color, cloudy but not murky, cloudiness was due to highly active carbonation, it was like watching the ionization of perfectly rounded, miniscule atoms rapidly firing off one another. I expected it to feel like poprocks in my mouth and could not wait to try it.

Head: A creamy mountain resembling lemon gelato that stays and stays and stays. Laces seductively against the sides of the glass, mounded in the middle as if it had been lovingly whipped and longing to be mouthed. Refused to be ignored, every bottle tip created more head and reached your tongue before the body of liquid, but merged with the body rather than remained seperate.

Aroma: Vibrant lemon and honey, slightly grassy but not overwhelming.

Texture: The body alone was thin and bubbly. Blended with the head, however, it was incredibly smooth and frothy; the two are not oil and water, rather they make love to each other and let you feel and taste their intercourse. Swishing in your mouth is particularly enjoyable, a quite unusual sensation of an aerated pudding.

Flavor & Balance: Tasted as lively as it looked. The combination of citris, hops, and honey reminded me of sneaking my dad's honey-lemon Luden cough drops.The flavor was quite different, and to be preferred, from the bottle because the fabulous head burst forth and accompanied every mouthful to create a frothy, tart, yet sweetend element to make the drink more reminiscent of a lemon meringue pie. Excellent balance overall, complexity limited to three primary flavors, good but not exceptional for my personal palate preference.

Sustained Taste: Initially, aftertaste has slightly harsh hop element, then as the temperature in your mouth warms the residue, it thickens and sweetens into an exceptionally delightful citris, like a dolop of a mild lemon custard on the roof of your mouth.

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

This beer is absolutely amazing. I write this review as i am being completely overwhelmed by its quality and craftsmanship. Served in a 9.4 oz bottle, it is great for sharing with others, everyone will like it. Make sure to check the bottle, the tripel is a noticeable difference from the other kinds.

3.62/5  rDev -15.8%

It's probably not for me to review this beer. I respect the Westmalle Trappist monks, I really do. They have made their own proprietary yeast for centuries, and I've come to love it through Lagunitas' seasonal "Little Sumpin' Wild" offering - an American DIPA paired with a distinctive Belgian yeast. The two come together IMO, to make magic.

So when I found a $6 bottle of the Westmalle Trippel at (of all places) a Kroger, I thought "this is a life experience that I should have." And then, OK, I had it.

The good news is that I can tell that this is a masterful concoction. It's sort of in the same way that I can tell that an operatic soprano is magnificent, though I really just don't care to listen to her. The fact is - I'm a hops guy. I'm an IBU guy. Westmalle Trippel is surely magnificent also, but it's just not me. My wife would like it - it compares more favorably in taste, color and mouthfeel to a champagne than most ales - but there's no bitter and malty interplay, less complexity. It's light, sweet, refreshing, and very, very fizzy.

So I struggled to give fair ratings to an ale that I don't happen to like, but whose achievements are just lost on me due to my own limitations. Nevertheless, I figure that there are probably some IPA aficionados out there who would be intrigued at the opportunity to try a world-class ale and are wondering if they'd like it. My advice - if you like champagne, you'll love this ale. If you love hops, probably not.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Golden pour that keeps a 1/8 inch head. Lots of debris in the pour, but that's my fault. Smells of cut grass, dried dark fruits and yeasty notes. I smell very little hops.

Alcohol presence felt immediately on the palate but fades very quickly. Soft mouthfeel that is very pleasant. Almost metallic aftertaste. This is not a session beer, obviously, but a nice after dinner tipple.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Came in a 33cl bottle with best before date 06/2006. I have been hearing nothing but great things about this beer for some time now so I decided to check it out to see what all the hype is all about and now I can definately see! This is a wonderful beer with so many different layers and characteristics to it. Not too bitter in taste considering its strength (9,5%) which doesnt taste like it at all so its very masked indeed. Gave a very nice bittersweet aftertaste though I believe with a little cellaring would do this beer great things (that is if I can keep my hands off of it) Extremely complex triple that totally lives up to the trappist name!!! HIGHLY recommended to all I say!

Westmalle Tripel: The mother of all Tripels! This is a must try beer. The benchmark example in which all others must be judged against in the style of Tripel. What is a Tripel? It is the name given by Trappiste Monks to a Strong Top fermenting Golden Ale. It earns the name Tripel because it takes three times the amount of ingredients to make in comparison to the simple beers made at the Abbeys. The beer is bottle conditioned with yeast to evolve over time like a Champagne, and it really is very much like Champagne. In the first 6 months the beer will be very fruit forward showing more pear and apple flavors, from 6 months to a year it will show much more of the hop character, and after 1 year those two characters will marry into a perfectly balanced beer. The bottle I am tasting is Seven months old. Westmalle is 9.5% ABV It has an darker blonde to honey-like color and a fluffy white head with a lengthy retention. Aroma is a blend of bright aromatic hops and subtle spicey yeast esters. Amazingly balanced and showing a great hop presence here. Cereal grains and honey support a lovely bitterness that is long but not highly toned. Great interplay of flavors. Not one truly dominates. A truly dry and crisp beer showing perfect structure, body, and a very complex flavor profile. This beer would be a great alternative to Champagne. It has a very similar flavor profile to some grower Champagnes I have tried that tend to have a softer bitterness and focus more on rich fruit and bread dough aromas with biscuity flavors.

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

I brought this beer to a sunday family dinner. Thanksgiving day style foods.
Even some family members who said " i don't like beer that much" enjoyed it very much! It was a great compliment to the food as well a nice lubricant to loosen everyone up.

We drank from pints (only beer glasses my mom had) and it poured very nice
a deep deep golden yellow orange with a few phases. It started darker then lightened up a bit. The head was white and light and I was pouring a little aggressively

The mouthfeel was normal but the the taste is what did it for me. Very good tasting beer especially with food. I am going to try this beer on it's own one day but it's a great dinner beer in my opinion

Taste was great. Strong alcohol presence (in a good way) with zest and spice. Dinner was great and after an hour an a few bottles my 86 year old grandfather was telling dirty jokes! We ALL enjoyed it!

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

My first foray into officially reviewing brews. Why not make it a trappist ale...

Glass scattered dark caramel-stretched hues show up in my glass with some outstanding lacing...very tight. The smell is on the intoxicating side, but after the first sweet drink the alcohol is hidden under a blanket of well balanced spices. Carbonated to high heaven, definitely a sipper. Keeping the pipes warm as well. Finish is dry, pleasant. What little aftertaste I can detect is pleasing, the slight aroma I push out of my nostrils carries the spicyness with it. Mouthfeel is juicy, it definitely covers every corner of your mouth nicely. High carbonation really makes you take your time, I wouldn't drink more than one glass in a sitting. Not memorable but certainly a good beer worth some praise!

3.96/5  rDev -7.9%

A- Golden color with lots of bubbles from the carbonation. A nice head with a good 2 finger measure
S- The alcohol is present in the smell but mostly plain with small amount of yeast
T- Great taste a little dry but very nice
M- nice mouthfeel with high amounts of carbonation
D- Easy to drink but the % of alcohol could put you down quick

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - The body is a moderately pale and dense golden color with a thick foamy head that dissipates after a few minutes.

S - A very unique spicy (almost peppery) yet delicate banana aroma; very nice but quite modest when compared with other tripels.

T - Light, sweet, and refreshing to start; tapers off to a spicy and pleasantly boozy finish. Sip after sip, this one never ceases to amaze me.

M - Very mild carbonation (particularly when compared to other tripels) that dances on the tongue. Not too light and not too heavy; very refreshing.

O - Simply astounding. I would wholeheartedly recommend this one to anyone looking to try an archetypal tripel.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

This is probably the culmination of every great beer I have ever had. It pours the most beautiful pale orange honey blossom body perfectly unfiltered and utterly gorgeous. The lacing is concentrated and creamy leaves a nice layer on the glass when swirled. The distinct aroma is hinted with roasted apricots, lemon peel and dry alcohol.

This is one of the most challenging beers for me to review on taste. The complexity is pretty astounding. Lots of dried lemon peel and spice/rich yeast with sweet honey nuances and a dry/slick alcoholic bite that finishes smooth.

Taking a sip of this beer, for me anyhow, is like the scene in the movie Beerfest where they taste the secret recipe beer for the first time. Yes, it is magical.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: Very foamy head, cloudy yellow-orange color
Smell: bananas, spices, similar nose to a hefe-weizen beer
Taste: malty, grainy, similar taste as Duvel, but more alcoholic
long, bitter aftertaste

Reminds me of a mix between a Duvel ale and a Bavarian Hefe Weissbeer, but more alcoholic.

4.44/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Cloudy, straw yellow color but dirtier than Duvel. Too quickly collapsing white head.

S: Banana, apricot and black pepper. Sweetness and nose drilling spiciness, if you know what I mean. Definitely inviting!

T: The first thing I felt was yeast, bit too strong. Strong bitterness, which I enjoyed. Fruity and spicy.

M: Strong carbonation and a bit too strong alcohol feel (But hey! It has 9.5%!).

D: One a day is enough. That's because it's powerful and noble.

4.26/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Very strong, thin head, and chalky mouthfeel with bitter aftertaste that I didn't enjoy.

3.56/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: A cloudy yellow, dark straw-like color. When poured slightly aggressively, the head was huge at nearly 4 fingers, but dissipated into a full glass lacing with about a centimeter of height. Nice to look at.

S: Twangy, fruity and alcoholic. Not the most inviting scent. Sweetness and fruits, a tidbit of hops.

T: Sweet, full-bodied and heavy on the banana. It's hoppy, but not reaching Pale Ale proportions. The most prominent taste here is the alcoholic blast, it's a pleasant burn...but for a Tripel, it could have been masked much better. It does seem to smoothen out and become more complex as the beer warms, great taste by the time you're 2/3rds finished.

M: It is thick in your mouth, creamy as well.

D: Not so good on the drinkability, the alcohol can be harsh...overall I'd easily drink a few of these, but not something I can claim to drink all night.

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

Such an enjoyable brew!
Pours with a nice creamy head, and deep yellow color - slightly cloudy. Nice mellow aroma, and amazingly smooth taste with sweet undertones and even balance all the way through. Silky mouthfeel but not too heavy at all.
A great drink for a relaxing evening.

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

I was lucky enough to have a friend bring this one to me, as its not sold in PA.

This was by way and afar the best tripel that I have ever had, and it makes me sad to knowing that I can not easily get it.

For me this is the best tripel I have ever had, and the one from which all other fall short of.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

The color is like dried apricots with a few bubbles and a foamy head. Smells like tart apples. Taste is sweeter than expected and a little doughy like apple strudel. A crisp and full flavor. Mouthfeel is velvety and carbonated. I find this beer far more drinkable than its high alcohol content would suggest.

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance
Golden color that was slightly cloudy when poured. Lots of foam on top

Smell
The smell was great. There was a nice mix of fruit and hops.

Taste
This beer tasted light, clean, and had a nice fruitiness to it. I could happily sip it all evening

Mouthfeel
Effervescent and crisp with lots of tiny bubbles

Overall
Outstanding. My bottle came from a Belgian sampler case and I will probably buy an entire case of this the next time I go in.

4.64/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I purchased this beer in Belgium at Beer Planet and decided to try it out with my father-in-law. I put the beer in the fridge so it was nice and cold when it was time to try it out.

Upon pouring the beer we noticed that it had about 1 to 2 fingers head on the top. The color of the beer was golden and bright. At first glance, it looked like a very refreshing beer.

Considering the relatively high ABV, this beer didn't smell too much like alcohol. It had a very nice smell that masked the alcohol content very well.

We both assumed that the taste of the beer would be pretty strong due to the high ABV as well. That wasn't the case. The brew was very smooth and had very little aftertaste.

I highly recommend this beer because of it's amazing smell and the fact that it drinks very smooth.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle