Westmalle Trappist Tripel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist TripelWestmalle Trappist Tripel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,649 | Hads: 4,187
4.57/5  rDev +7%

you will drink most of this one with your nose...

served from a bottle, into a snifter glass...

Appearance is typical of the style, straw-colored, and cloudy

Smell is EXCEPTIONAL... As I said, you will drink most of this one with your nose... forget drinking it, pour it into your glass and put your nose in it... keep inhaling... lots of apples at first, followed by a whiff of menthol alcohol (not overpowering - just enough to enhance the rest of the nose) - followed by intense bananas and peaches... wonderful... layer after layer of smell... this beer's main strength is it's aromas....

Taste - Extremely dry and light - it makes total sense with the extreme nose of the beer... you smell it, enjoy the wonderful complexity of the nose, and then take a sip, and it is wrapped up with a perfectly carbonated, light, crisp and dry flavor.... heavenly...

Mouthfeel - very light... lightest of any tripel i've had...

Drinkability - Wow, I got this for about $5 per bottle... i wish I had a six pack of it... i could drink this forever... what a wonderful overall experience... as I said, don't expect this one to be just a flavor bomb - it is a nose bomb with an appropriate flavor...

edited to say - watch out for the hangover on this one... pretty harsh...

A: Golden-caramel, with lots of particulate. Off-white one-finger head. Served in a chalice.

S: Malt, caramel and a very light note of citrus.

T: Pleasantly bitter. Very earthy.

M: Quite carbonated.

D: Pretty high, but definitely a beer to savor.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

A-pours a golden hay color with a respectable head, solid two fingers at least. lots of yeast solids floating about, still clear otherwise.

S-trappist funkiness, subliminal spiciness bombards my nose. slight old banana bread notes in there as well.

T-Complex and deceptive. Occasionally the alcohol reminds you its there, but mostly it is masked by the perfectly balanced malt and hop profile. The Belgian yeast really shines through on this one, gloriously engaging both the nose and taste buds each sip. Mildly sweet, funky, yet not very bitter. I'm sure the hops must be there though to balance the high gravity of this brew.

M-Smooth and silky. This brew coats the entire mouth and really feels nice. You could even possibly extend this to include "throatfeel", because the smoothness really continues even after each swallow.

D-Like all big belgian pales, this is way too drinkable. I want a sixer, and I want to drink this classy beer in the most unclassy way possible.

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

I'm pouring at 63 degrees into an 11oz snifter.

It pours with a hazy light amber/golden color with a thick head that sticks around for a while. Very little lacing. It reminds me of other Trappist products I've seen before, mostly Chimay.

It's smell is very nice, very subtle. It's a bit sour, but citrus sour. Lemons maybe. I can smell the alcohol for sure (9.5%), but it's not overpowering, I can still smell the beer itself.

I haven't had many trippels, but I think this is about the same as the ones I've had before. The initial taste is very light, but still very hard to get past the alcohol. It's very complex, hard to really get a feel for everything that's going on in this beer. For me, that's not a bad thing, it just makes me want to drink more so I can taste it all! The finish is slightly bitter, maybe a little citrus sour. I've come to recognize this as a "Belgian Ale" thing. The finish kind of catches in the back of your throat and gives for an interesting aftertaste.

I like the amount of carbonation, it seems to compliment the bitter finish. It's not thick, but not thin, I think this has a very nice mouthfeel. As for drinkability, I'll say I'm not going to shy away from this beer, but I doubt I'll buy a case anytime soon. It's got good characteristics, but it's just not something I would drink every day.

4.09/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a pure white head, small bubbles, and very creamy looking, decent lacing on the glass. Nice yellow hugh to the beer.

Smell:Can smell some apricots, bit of citrus and hops, a bit of honey somewhere in the middle, behind all the other aromatics. Not too bad, not as good as the Achel though for smell. Just needs more of everything, too subtle.

Taste: Hops! this is by far the hoppiest Triple i have had. Tarty, slightly acidic, some soft fruits, that briefely come up, little alcohol, slightly pepper-like. Finshes with a quick, sharp, and strong bitterness, and lingers for a little while, with dryness. It seems as though there are many soft fruit complexities that are hidden behind all of the strong hop flavor/characteristics, its nice to try and be able to see if a person can find them. Makes the mouth water! P.S as the beer warms, the hop sharpness decreases.

Mouthfeel: Fairly creamy, coating, slight, and i mean very slight astringancy. Not bad!

Drinkability: A Joy to drink, i see this as a powerful triple that is to be respected for its strength, and is one to have on occasion. Can't have too many of these, for its intense flavour, not because of its alcohol.

I will revisit this again in the future

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

A - If you do not pour it carefully you will get a glass full of head, but don't worry boys and girls it will sink quickly so you can fill up the glass correctly. I personally prefer every beer to be poured into Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

S - Smells AMAZING a bit of bready and honey smell of the typical trappist or Abbey Ale.

T- Make sure you chill this, it usually isn't refrigerated when you buy it, if you heed my words you will love this. It tastes of honey and has the refreshing heaviness of bread. Has a fruity spiciness to it.

M - Carbonation, Honey, bread is all combined to create one of the most beautifully formed orchestra, it is music to my tastebuds.

D - With an 9.5% I am not able to taste the alcohol, this drink has some carbonation to it but you can just taste how natural it is. The honey intermingles with the fruity breadiness of a top quality Trappist.

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

This is simply stated one of my favorite beers.

It is not big and bold in flavor, but mellow and fully rounded. It has a gorgeous golden hue that is not entirely clear, and yet just shy of hazy in my opinion. The overall appearance of this beer is further enhanced by one of the best stemmed glasses I have seen (as with other Belgian Beers, Westmalle has its own glass, which in this case is a stemmed glass with cut optics and a classic looking Westmalle label).

This beer must be treated with respect - both out of heritage (a beer tradition going back to 1834, and this tripel coming about in 1934), and out of respect for its strength. At 9.5%, this is a beer best enjoyed contemplatively and in moderation.

In my opinion, one of the best Belgian Trappist beers, and one of the best Strong Pale Ale's in the world - truly a world class beer.

I highly recommend this beer, and two of its glasses have proudly become a part of my glass collection.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottle, best before August 20 2015, poured into a Leffe goblet.

A- Beautiful. Bright straw yellow with one finger of bright white head.

S - Not a whole lot on the nose. A light sweetness. Some yeast. Light citrus note, particularly lemon grass. Very little alcohol.

T - Sweet, candy sugar, syurp, with a pleasent spiceness, corriander. A tangyness at the end, like a marmalade. Long dry, spicy finish.

F - Tons of carbonation. A real zingy mouthfeel.

O - What can I say about Westmalle? It is the quintessential Belgian tripel in my opinion. This is the beer that started my love affair with Belgian ales. In the winter I always have a stock of Chimay Blue, and the summer is always westmalle season in my house. Nothing better than a westmalle triple with some irish style BBQ.

4.11/5  rDev -3.7%

a first in tripel style i tasted. overall pretty tasty and has some sweet but i didnt enjoy aftertaste much. maybe i'm just nw to it, however that aside, smell and taste were enjoyable. good beer.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very cloudy golden/yellow. Chunky sediment at bottom. Great, thick, full head that lasted through most of the drink. Bits of sediment actually rested on top of the head.
Smell: Wheaty. Bitter sweet hoppiness.
Taste: Wow - great taste. Great Belgian Ale! Hints of apricots. Bitter on your breath at the end.
Mouthfeel: Good, medium to heavy carbonation. Fills up and gets foamy on the slush.
Drinkability: Definitely drinkable. Fairly filling.
ABV: 9.5%
Serving Type: 11.2 oz bottle

This beer was actually gifted to me, so I had no idea what to expect. LOVED it! Great Belgian Ale. I got a kick out of the appearance (I actually like to see a little sediment - and this one had some resting on the head 'til just about the very last drop.). This beer stands up well on it's own or I'd recommend with a light meal. Maybe some chicken or roasted veggies. It was surprisingly filling. But I would definitely drink this beer again.

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a goblet.

The beer pours a golden, straw like, hazy yellow with a big frothy head that last and lasts. The lace just blankets the sides of the glass. A great looking beer.

It has a very strong citrus scent, mainly of lemon, but there's also something very herbal about it as well. Some grassy notes.

The taste is similar to the smell, lots of lemon and herbal flavors, a bit grassy. However, as the beer warms a sweeter flavor is imparted. I get a very smooth honey flavor at the end as it warms up, the flavors really shine at this time.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Nice blond lady here. The Westmalle has a hazy yellow color that reminds of lager, but this Tripel Trappist beer is a lot more than that. It gives a nice persistent foam and never loses its fog-of-yeast.

The smell is amazing, you would expect it to be a dark beer from its odour alone, but it's not. The taste and mouthfeel leave few things to be desired. This beer delivers a strong kick and has a nice acidic (lemon) afterfeel.

You would love to drink more than one, since this one masquarades as a simple lager to an amateur, but then you're gonna pass by far the 0.05% limit in most countries! :)

3.62/5  rDev -15.2%

It's probably not for me to review this beer. I respect the Westmalle Trappist monks, I really do. They have made their own proprietary yeast for centuries, and I've come to love it through Lagunitas' seasonal "Little Sumpin' Wild" offering - an American DIPA paired with a distinctive Belgian yeast. The two come together IMO, to make magic.

So when I found a $6 bottle of the Westmalle Trippel at (of all places) a Kroger, I thought "this is a life experience that I should have." And then, OK, I had it.

The good news is that I can tell that this is a masterful concoction. It's sort of in the same way that I can tell that an operatic soprano is magnificent, though I really just don't care to listen to her. The fact is - I'm a hops guy. I'm an IBU guy. Westmalle Trippel is surely magnificent also, but it's just not me. My wife would like it - it compares more favorably in taste, color and mouthfeel to a champagne than most ales - but there's no bitter and malty interplay, less complexity. It's light, sweet, refreshing, and very, very fizzy.

So I struggled to give fair ratings to an ale that I don't happen to like, but whose achievements are just lost on me due to my own limitations. Nevertheless, I figure that there are probably some IPA aficionados out there who would be intrigued at the opportunity to try a world-class ale and are wondering if they'd like it. My advice - if you like champagne, you'll love this ale. If you love hops, probably not.

I toured Holland and Belgium the past three years and I really had the opportunity to try some of the very best English, Dutch, German and Belgian beers. This past spring I tasted Westmalle Trippel for the first time. In fact, I enjoyed 2-3 bottles every day! I had it first in a little cafe in Amsterdam. My feet were killing me and I had to take a rest. I was waiting for Golem to open at 4:00 PM and had two more hours to go. Anybody who has toured Amsterdam knows that walking around is the coolest thing in the world. You have historic gorgeous canal houses, museums and evn beautiful Dutch women to feast your eyes upon!

Back to the beer.. Westmalle Trippel was unbelievably tasty and refreshing and consistent. I had it at several more bars and in Brugges I bought a couple of bottles at a 7-11 type store to enjoy in my hotel with my friends. I sat outside in a cafe in Leiden and watched the students go by and enjoyed a beautiful day. At 3 euros per bottle at the cafe, and 1.5 euros at the convenience stores it was a downright bargain. There are many other wonderful beers to try and I enjoyed the T'IJ brewery in Amsterdam tremendously, but the best beer for the buck and the most readily available was Westmalle.

Try it on your next trip. Simply OUTSTANDING!!!

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Served in a glass chalice

A: Cloudy golden with a substantial, persistent head

S: Mostly yeast and grain, slightly sweet

T: Quite sweet, but not overbearingly so - initial overtones of banana and kiwi followed by a number of spices, nutmeg in particular. I can definitely taste the high alcohol content.

M: Relatively thin compared to other similar beers I've tried in the past. Pairs nicely with the flavor.

O: It has the complexity of flavor that I've come to expect from Trappist beers, but it doesn't feel overly intense - instead it's quite refreshing and drinkable. Definitely one of my favorites from Belgium so far.

3.77/5  rDev -11.7%

Color: A lovely honey color, cloudy but not murky, cloudiness was due to highly active carbonation, it was like watching the ionization of perfectly rounded, miniscule atoms rapidly firing off one another. I expected it to feel like poprocks in my mouth and could not wait to try it.

Head: A creamy mountain resembling lemon gelato that stays and stays and stays. Laces seductively against the sides of the glass, mounded in the middle as if it had been lovingly whipped and longing to be mouthed. Refused to be ignored, every bottle tip created more head and reached your tongue before the body of liquid, but merged with the body rather than remained seperate.

Aroma: Vibrant lemon and honey, slightly grassy but not overwhelming.

Texture: The body alone was thin and bubbly. Blended with the head, however, it was incredibly smooth and frothy; the two are not oil and water, rather they make love to each other and let you feel and taste their intercourse. Swishing in your mouth is particularly enjoyable, a quite unusual sensation of an aerated pudding.

Flavor & Balance: Tasted as lively as it looked. The combination of citris, hops, and honey reminded me of sneaking my dad's honey-lemon Luden cough drops.The flavor was quite different, and to be preferred, from the bottle because the fabulous head burst forth and accompanied every mouthful to create a frothy, tart, yet sweetend element to make the drink more reminiscent of a lemon meringue pie. Excellent balance overall, complexity limited to three primary flavors, good but not exceptional for my personal palate preference.

Sustained Taste: Initially, aftertaste has slightly harsh hop element, then as the temperature in your mouth warms the residue, it thickens and sweetens into an exceptionally delightful citris, like a dolop of a mild lemon custard on the roof of your mouth.

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer is absolutely amazing. I write this review as i am being completely overwhelmed by its quality and craftsmanship. Served in a 9.4 oz bottle, it is great for sharing with others, everyone will like it. Make sure to check the bottle, the tripel is a noticeable difference from the other kinds.

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've manage the beer department of a large liquor store the past year and have been homebrewing the past five years. Tasting Sept 7, 2015. Poured from a 11.2 fluid oz bottle at 50*F / 10*C. Bottle Best Before End Date: Mar 23, 2017.
LOOK: Golden yellow color, decent clarity, high carbonation and a big white long lasting head are perfect for this style. As is the AROMA, this characteristic is perfect for the style: complex, spicy and peppery.
TASTE: Although it is true to style, it is almost too much so. Very peppery and phenolic.
FEEL: It feels light to medium in body and easy to drink for its' alcohol content.
OVERALL: It is a great beer to pair with sweet or strong food as it can hold its' own alongside them.

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Golden pour that keeps a 1/8 inch head. Lots of debris in the pour, but that's my fault. Smells of cut grass, dried dark fruits and yeasty notes. I smell very little hops.

Alcohol presence felt immediately on the palate but fades very quickly. Soft mouthfeel that is very pleasant. Almost metallic aftertaste. This is not a session beer, obviously, but a nice after dinner tipple.

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Came in a 33cl bottle with best before date 06/2006. I have been hearing nothing but great things about this beer for some time now so I decided to check it out to see what all the hype is all about and now I can definately see! This is a wonderful beer with so many different layers and characteristics to it. Not too bitter in taste considering its strength (9,5%) which doesnt taste like it at all so its very masked indeed. Gave a very nice bittersweet aftertaste though I believe with a little cellaring would do this beer great things (that is if I can keep my hands off of it) Extremely complex triple that totally lives up to the trappist name!!! HIGHLY recommended to all I say!

Westmalle Tripel: The mother of all Tripels! This is a must try beer. The benchmark example in which all others must be judged against in the style of Tripel. What is a Tripel? It is the name given by Trappiste Monks to a Strong Top fermenting Golden Ale. It earns the name Tripel because it takes three times the amount of ingredients to make in comparison to the simple beers made at the Abbeys. The beer is bottle conditioned with yeast to evolve over time like a Champagne, and it really is very much like Champagne. In the first 6 months the beer will be very fruit forward showing more pear and apple flavors, from 6 months to a year it will show much more of the hop character, and after 1 year those two characters will marry into a perfectly balanced beer. The bottle I am tasting is Seven months old. Westmalle is 9.5% ABV It has an darker blonde to honey-like color and a fluffy white head with a lengthy retention. Aroma is a blend of bright aromatic hops and subtle spicey yeast esters. Amazingly balanced and showing a great hop presence here. Cereal grains and honey support a lovely bitterness that is long but not highly toned. Great interplay of flavors. Not one truly dominates. A truly dry and crisp beer showing perfect structure, body, and a very complex flavor profile. This beer would be a great alternative to Champagne. It has a very similar flavor profile to some grower Champagnes I have tried that tend to have a softer bitterness and focus more on rich fruit and bread dough aromas with biscuity flavors.

3.63/5  rDev -15%

I brought this beer to a sunday family dinner. Thanksgiving day style foods.
Even some family members who said " i don't like beer that much" enjoyed it very much! It was a great compliment to the food as well a nice lubricant to loosen everyone up.

We drank from pints (only beer glasses my mom had) and it poured very nice
a deep deep golden yellow orange with a few phases. It started darker then lightened up a bit. The head was white and light and I was pouring a little aggressively

The mouthfeel was normal but the the taste is what did it for me. Very good tasting beer especially with food. I am going to try this beer on it's own one day but it's a great dinner beer in my opinion

Taste was great. Strong alcohol presence (in a good way) with zest and spice. Dinner was great and after an hour an a few bottles my 86 year old grandfather was telling dirty jokes! We ALL enjoyed it!

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

My first foray into officially reviewing brews. Why not make it a trappist ale...

Glass scattered dark caramel-stretched hues show up in my glass with some outstanding lacing...very tight. The smell is on the intoxicating side, but after the first sweet drink the alcohol is hidden under a blanket of well balanced spices. Carbonated to high heaven, definitely a sipper. Keeping the pipes warm as well. Finish is dry, pleasant. What little aftertaste I can detect is pleasing, the slight aroma I push out of my nostrils carries the spicyness with it. Mouthfeel is juicy, it definitely covers every corner of your mouth nicely. High carbonation really makes you take your time, I wouldn't drink more than one glass in a sitting. Not memorable but certainly a good beer worth some praise!

3.96/5  rDev -7.3%

A- Golden color with lots of bubbles from the carbonation. A nice head with a good 2 finger measure
S- The alcohol is present in the smell but mostly plain with small amount of yeast
T- Great taste a little dry but very nice
M- nice mouthfeel with high amounts of carbonation
D- Easy to drink but the % of alcohol could put you down quick

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - The body is a moderately pale and dense golden color with a thick foamy head that dissipates after a few minutes.

S - A very unique spicy (almost peppery) yet delicate banana aroma; very nice but quite modest when compared with other tripels.

T - Light, sweet, and refreshing to start; tapers off to a spicy and pleasantly boozy finish. Sip after sip, this one never ceases to amaze me.

M - Very mild carbonation (particularly when compared to other tripels) that dances on the tongue. Not too light and not too heavy; very refreshing.

O - Simply astounding. I would wholeheartedly recommend this one to anyone looking to try an archetypal tripel.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle