Join our email list →

Brouwerij Westmalle
Belgium | website

Tripel | 9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,672 | Hads: 4,275
4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle Date: 3/1/08
A: Clear golden-amber pour with 1" thick white head, constant bubbles, decent glass retention. Saved the last 1/2" of beer in the bottle, mostly the bottle conditioning yeast, and drank separately...quick good in its own right.
S: Very nice bouquet of citrus, hops, yeast & malt. An overall wonderful aroma of a classical tripel.
T: Wow...an amazing blend of flavors. Mild citrus & alcohol undertones to flavors dominated by the malt & hops. Definitely the best tripel I have ever had.
M: A rich, smooth brew, moderate carbonation.
D: This is a beer to savor. It does down very smooth with a nice aftertaste. I will most certainly have this fantastic tripel again.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

This is one helluva good beer. Pours a cloudy golden out of the bottle and the aroma is dry and malty. Nice creamy white head. Lacing sticks around for a while on the glass. Taste is dry and clean. Malt and hops at the end. Great beer. My favorite style and an excellent exemplar of it.

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a lovely orange/light amber with an absolutely billowing white head which is so dense it forms its own weird shapes & semi-permanent structures which hold up regardless of the shrinking amount of beer upon which they stand

Aroma is hoppy & yeasty. Seems particularly fresh to me. Flavour is sweet maltiness at first, but only for a quick half-second. Soon a perceptable hop bitterness kicks in and mingles with a luxurious creamy body. Creamy. Smooth proteins roll over the tongue & whole mouth, coating you in happiness. At the end some hop aromatics become noticable.

Slight alcohol warmth.

Dangerously quaffable.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

75cl bottle from Belgianbeershop.com. Westmalle Tripel is a hazy pale yellow beer with a moderate white head. The aroma is very yeasty, fresh and fruity (banana, citrus); very inviting. The beer is perfectly balanced between sweetness and bitterness. It's very refreshing, an ideal thirst quencher. Fruity and spicy accents. Moderately bitter finish. Excellent beer, one of my favorites.

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Presentation: Bottle, Brown, Poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Dark Yellow. good finger width of head, lacing on entire glass, carbination raising to the top, during entire brew

Aroma: Kind of a sour fruit smell, I still am having difficulty explaining in words what I am smelling

Taste: Again I taste fruityness, slight taste of alcohol and bit of pepper

Mouthfeel: Very nice, almost smooth feeling, it does, can feel the carbination

Overall: Poured into a pint glass. I like it, again a drink that for me needs to be drank in moderation. Would suggest this to friends to try.

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - hazy dark gold color, tall, solid head with a few specks of sediment lingering in the foam. Bubbles continue to rise from the bottom of the glass for minutes after pouring, not in the normal way where there is a stream of bubbles coming from a few spots, but. the bubbles are rising from seemingly everywhere. Little specks of sediment are floating around in the haze. I seem to like sediment (it dosent really bother me, and i feel like i want to get all I can out of the flavor of the beer) so I made sure to swirl around the bottle when there was about a quarter of it left to get the sediment up off the bottom.

S - sweet malt. It almost seems like a lemon-drop type flavor, just like the candy. I can already get a little whiff of the alcohol. A weird but surprisingly pleasing smell of extremely fresh sour cream comes from the froth after it has begun to warm.

T - The sweet malt really comes out in the taste. The lemondrop smell seems to turn into more of a honey flavor. Alcohol adds quite a bit to the flavor, giving it a little bite at the back of the tongue. Waited for it to warm a little and noticed a slight metallic aftertaste and the yeast flavor come out.

M - good carbonation. the sweet maltiness and alcohol add to the body, I would give it medium to full bodied.

D - The high alcohol is balanced perfectly by the sweetness. also the carbonation makes this somewhat more drinkable. At 9.8 percent, one bottle got me a buzz. Very drinkable for one bottle, but a hangover resulting from this would be brutal.

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

I'll start right off by saying one of the best belgians I've yet had. Poured from a 25.4 oz bottle into a wine glass, Westmalle Tripel poured a pretty honey blonde with a lot of suspended yeasty sediment and TONS of effervescent bubbles.

Smells sweet and malty, with notes of honey, fresh fruit (apricots, figs, lemons), some belgian yeast, and some definite alcohol.

Citrusy hops up front quickly fade in the style of tripels to sweet maltiness, with complex, fruity notes and a bit of sparkling citrus taste brought forward by the carbonation. Somewhat herby, I keep thinking thai basil with a sweet/spicy thing going on. Definite alcohol in there too, but I don't find it in any way offensive.

Mouthfeel is full, round, and coats well. This beer goes down so smooth...I could drink this all night.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance - Lots of violent creamy foam that rises tall in my goblet. Beautiful, bright golden orange. Thin layer of foam remained consistently and uniformly around the top of the beer the entire time I drank this beer

Aroma - citrusy and spicy

Taste - peppery complex and smooth with hints of fruits that crackle. You can definitely feel the alcohol on the back.

Mouthfeel - thick and chewy but very smooth throughout

Drinkability - truly a remarkable beer and I expected nothing less from the Trappist monks. Solid, incredible aftertaste that dominates the palate and remains long enough to evoke wonderful memories so you remember to have another.

Simply put this is an incredible beer. Super clean and dry with lots of great hearty bread notes and a touch of fruity sweetness. Incredibly brisk and refreshing, vinous like character. Great replacement for champagne!

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Dark lemon color, head almost white, evenly bubbled, not that long-lasting but pure. Champagne carbonation. Sweet, very weak resiny notes. Fresh hay, grassy, herbal notes, slightly spicy. Taste: quite complex. Distinct coriander, dark fruit flavor, some bruised apple. Grassy or fresh hay, a little spice. Afterward, a mineral/pencil lead finish. Warm in the stomach. Mouthfeel was light, fresh, danced off the tongue, slick, not heavy.

3.42/5  rDev -20.1%

A: Pours a pale, passionfruit-like yellow with 1 finger of off-white head that doesn't make a point of sticking around long or leaving much lacing in its wake. Sediment seems to be unavoidable, as it was allowed to settle and warm on the counter and still managed to give me a chunky looking beer.

S: Some light fruits make themselves apparent, along with a little bit of an herbal hop presence that I would describe as somewhat musky. The alcohol really comes through on the nose also.

T: Mildly hoppy, some light grains and light fruits make an appearance, but I'm having trouble getting any standout flavors here. Once again, the alcohol seems to take this beer over, ruining any chances it might have had at leaving any kind of lasting impression.

M: The mouth feel is probably the best aspect of this beer, I found it to be somewhat thick and creamy, nice light carbonation, and very very smooth going down. Nice.

D: I'd maybe have another one, but I don't think I'd buy this again. It's drinkable enough, but as Tripels go, you can do much better things with your money.

4.58/5  rDev +7%

After a nice trip to my local Total Wine, I was able to pick up the Westmalle Dubbel and Tripel! As a Trappist ale, I expected perfection, and what I received was nothing less!

A: Pour was a golden cloudy amber with about half a finger of off-white head leaving an excellent lacing.

S: Very complex aroma, definite citrus with some malty sweetness and a hint of flowery hops.

T: Very nice malty sweetness combining with the tart citrus flavors and an excellent hoppy bitterness with finally a nice alcohol heat to cleanse.

M: Typical Trappist perfection, a very light bubbly feel overall with just enough syrupy character to coat well and complement the flavors!

For the style, I find this to be the best beer that I have had! I really enjoyed Westmalle's Tripel as I found that everything balanced so well! Will definitely be having more of these in the future!

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Bottled dated 01-2011... not sure if that's the importation date or the actual bottling date... but seeing as how I'm drinking this on the West Coast in the USA.. that seems pretty recent!

poured from a bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A - It's hard not to gush madly about this particular beer to be perfectly honest... and why wouldn't you? This is what God himself intended beer to look like (probably?) It's not quite only straw colored... it's like straw with a darker orange-ish presence and as crystal clear as beer gets. I can see reflections of my life and the ghost of my past inside of this beer.. that's how clear it is. Pours a magnificent head and leaves a lacing that doesn't go away for the entire glass.. . actually.. I've been drinking this for 20+ minutes and there is still a foam across the top with a spiderweb pulling down the interior of my glass. Perfect, with tiny, tight, champaigne-like bubbles.

S - It's got a sweet smell with an herby, peppery hop presence that I don't actually recall the last time I tried this beer. I'd say some apple and pear in the smell as well.

T - It's hard not to give all 5's. This beer is one of the Kings of all beer for good reason in my opinion. It tastes fresh, with a sweetness at first and then an obvious malt presence, but not a super strong malt showing either but a cleanness that helps this beer go down VERY easily. It's got no hot alcohol notes at all and for an ABV of 9% goes down like a 5% beer. It's dry, but with an aftertaste that lingers in the best of ways.. Lastly, 12 seconds after you drink it, you get a warming alcohol splash in your esophagus. Again, this is exactly what God intended beer to taste like in my opinion.

M - What's not to like?? It's a dry beer, but feels light on the palette and isn't too heavy and cloying.

Overall - I almost feel bad as I've wanted to review some beers on beer advocate for awhile.. and I started with a bunch of the best beers in the world. It's been like a labor of love so far!! ha! Soon enough I'll get to the "Bud Light limes" of the world. ;)

This, however, is as good as beer gets in my opinion... this is one of the reasons that I even started drinking beers. I tried a few beers like this (after drinking a lot of bud light, etc) and thought to myself "Well, maybe I do LOVE beer?!!"

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

This is a great example of a triple; probably the best i've had so far.
Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip.

It appears somewhat cloudy. I figure this is from the yeast left in the bottle. Saw a clump of the "bread" or whatever it is to. Not bad though. Still looks good with a nice tight head.

Smells pretty typical of a tripel; yeasty and kinda funky. However, this one was a little less intense but still good.

Tastes amazing; especially as it warms up. Really refreshing with lots of tripel flavor packed in and minimal alcohol burn and yeastiness. Slight bitterness on the finish to balance it out. Delicious.

Mouthfeel initially was very bubbly with high carbonation but it mellowed out very quickly. It was smooth, thick, and a little oily. Refreshing and crisp. Extremely drinkable.

What a great beer. As others have said before me, this is a tripel by which to judge others. I'm very impressed. Be warned though, this is extremely easy to drink. A great way to put down $6+ of beer really quick.

4.41/5  rDev +3%

Poured into my tulip, this beer had a head to rival Duvel. The beer itself was a light topaz, and I kid you not, the head had the texture of stiff meringue. Fantastic.

The nose was slightly underwhelming, but in the end, still good. Very spicy, both sweet and peppery, with a good nip of alcohol. A little fruit was there, as well, but it was in the background.

The flavor was fantastic. Tart, juicy apples, plenty of spice from the yeast, and a little bready malt on the finish, but just a little. Very dry and bracing, just as a Tripel should be. Alcohol is definitely noted, but not obtrusive. It's creamy and light in the mouth, just perfect for a warm spring day.

Overall, Westmalle Tripel has vaulted itself into my top beers. I had sampled another trappist ale a few hours before this one, and I thought it was very good, but not quite great. This one is truly top shelf.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Before I talk about the beer I have to say the bottle is really cool. I opened this beer very carefully and was surprised by a snow white head that slowly peaked out of the top. I had to pour this a little slower than normal to keep the head under control. This beer pours a very nice golden color with a tall head. The head has really great retention although a little thin feeling.

A distinct smell of yeast balanced by sweet grains and a hint of alcohol.

I great tasting beer with a somewhat bitter aftertaste.

Great mouthfeel but the head is a little too thin.

Overall a very drinkable beer. I'm just finishing this one and I can feel it working. I couldn't imagine having more than two of these. This is serious stuff.

This is definately worth a try. I will do this again!

Cheers!

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

A: light straw color, hazy, light head with great lacing.

S: Fruity, sweet smell, reminiscent of apricots, very nice.

T: Excellent malt flavor, smooth, clean taste. Some alcohol warmth at finish.

M: Soft mouth feel, fairly high carbonation, but typical of style.

O: This is one of the best, it really defines the tripel style for me.

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

App: Really nice, thick, fluffy two-finger head that just stays and stays. I poured this five minutes ago and it's still barely moved. Nice deep golden cloudy color, too. The head on this is really a beautiful thing.

Smell: Slight banana smell, almost a little skunky or funky. Kind of interesting but nothing too special. Basic tripel nose.

Taste:A little bit of spice, actually really heavy on the alcohol. Definitely comes through quite a bit. Almost a dry sort of finish. Not a whole lot of complexity coming through to me. I don't know if my bottle is just off but I'm not too thrilled with this one so far. It's pretty good but not great.

Mouthfeel: Not bad, nothing special. A little dry in the finish, flavor stays with you for a while. Not cloying or anything but just kind of a nice reminder that you're drinking a beer until your next sip.

Drinkability: I think flavor-wise you could definitely do a few of these, even with the alcohol bite but the alcohol would catch up to anybody. It's got a kind of creeping warmth to it that I really like. It hits you slow and kind of simmers. A pretty good beer overall, I've had some tripels I've been more impressed with (Allagash comes to mind). Nice beer but world class might be pushing it.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

29/08/09 bottle stamp date (2nd). Chose a goblet with this Tripel. I sampled this beer twice and used the second for this review. I store all my Belgians (Strong Darks, Dubbels & Tripels) @ 57*F and allow them to warm slightly before consuming. however, I should have paid heed to the suggested temp. on the bottle-45-50*F>>>they should know! This is the temp. used for this review. I think the alcohol starts to overtake the unique flavors if it warms too much.
This pours a slight hazy yellow/gold hue with a good and consistent thick head. The smell was not what I expected from a Tripel-fresh apricot & a little citrus. The taste was also a surprise. Crisp w/ over-the-top carbonation and a definite backdrop of the 9.5% ABV. This is a great beer but it seems to better exemplify a different style.
Mouthfeel was refreshing and clean & almost served as its own palate cleanser. I could drink more than one of these at a sitting (as I did with this review) and would consider this to be a 4 days/week beverage. Again, a great beer but I liked the Dubbel better.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Pours an appealing golden-yellow/muddy orange with a nice head.

S: Knocked my socks off! Huge banana bread, peaches?, and some clove with light alcohol scent. Smells amazing

T: There is just a ton going on here. Great fruit up front. Tart-maybe slight lemon/acidic fruits. Mid-way through you get the alcohol but not overwhelming. Just adds a nice spice. Very impressive. Im sure ill pull a ton more on my second glass as this is complex.

M/D: Nice tingle from the carbonation but just enough to wake the palate. I could sip on this one all day. Nothing like a Trappist brew... :)

3.22/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle into a Duvel glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow with a generous white head.

S: Lots of grapefruit in the nose with a nice earthiness underlying the citrus. Very inviting aroma with a slight hint of vanilla.

T: Somewhat watery with a lingering lemon rind bitterness. An alcoholic bite builds with subsequent sips. A slight hint of grapefruit with bitterness from noble hops.

M: Slightly on the dry side with a relatively pleasant aftertaste.

D: Very drinkable in spite of the high alcohol content. The flavor is somewhat underwhelming but it goes down quite easily and is remarkably refreshing. It's definitely the kind of beer that would sneak up on you over the course of an evening.

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 33cl bottle, beautiful pour. Great foamy head. Would recommend pouring in goblet or tulip or you might wait a while to drink. Good hop aroma, with hints of citrus. Taste has a bit of a bite with hop aftertaste.

O: Great tripel, not my favorite but close to it. Pleasant bite and good hoppiness. Would make a great strong summer beer.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've manage the beer department of a large liquor store the past year and have been homebrewing the past five years. Tasting Sept 7, 2015. Poured from a 11.2 fluid oz bottle at 50*F / 10*C. Bottle Best Before End Date: Mar 23, 2017.
LOOK: Golden yellow color, decent clarity, high carbonation and a big white long lasting head are perfect for this style. As is the AROMA, this characteristic is perfect for the style: complex, spicy and peppery.
TASTE: Although it is true to style, it is almost too much so. Very peppery and phenolic.
FEEL: It feels light to medium in body and easy to drink for its' alcohol content.
OVERALL: It is a great beer to pair with sweet or strong food as it can hold its' own alongside them.

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

you will drink most of this one with your nose...

served from a bottle, into a snifter glass...

Appearance is typical of the style, straw-colored, and cloudy

Smell is EXCEPTIONAL... As I said, you will drink most of this one with your nose... forget drinking it, pour it into your glass and put your nose in it... keep inhaling... lots of apples at first, followed by a whiff of menthol alcohol (not overpowering - just enough to enhance the rest of the nose) - followed by intense bananas and peaches... wonderful... layer after layer of smell... this beer's main strength is it's aromas....

Taste - Extremely dry and light - it makes total sense with the extreme nose of the beer... you smell it, enjoy the wonderful complexity of the nose, and then take a sip, and it is wrapped up with a perfectly carbonated, light, crisp and dry flavor.... heavenly...

Mouthfeel - very light... lightest of any tripel i've had...

Drinkability - Wow, I got this for about $5 per bottle... i wish I had a six pack of it... i could drink this forever... what a wonderful overall experience... as I said, don't expect this one to be just a flavor bomb - it is a nose bomb with an appropriate flavor...

edited to say - watch out for the hangover on this one... pretty harsh...

A: Golden-caramel, with lots of particulate. Off-white one-finger head. Served in a chalice.

S: Malt, caramel and a very light note of citrus.

T: Pleasantly bitter. Very earthy.

M: Quite carbonated.

D: Pretty high, but definitely a beer to savor.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle