Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

100th beer Ive tried and reviewed.Heres to 100 more.Poured into the proper Westalle Trappist chalice.

Brownish/red body with a off white head.Bubbles streaming to the top.

Candy sugar and some dark fruits hit my nose.

Fruity taste,it almost taste like juice.It taste very lively.Malt hits ya at the end of the sip.

Carbonation is really good and not overly aggressive.The alcohol is warming and soothing.Like drinking a really good Vick vaper rub.In a good way though.

Im glad I tried this stuff and I will seek it out again in the future for a special occasion.God im glad the monks like to make bier.

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Westmalle Dubbel has a thick, fizzy, beige head, and a dark, red-brown appearance, with lots of bubbles and nice lacing left behind. The appearance is not too hazy, until one swishes the bottom contents and pours in the sediment. The aroma is rich, fruity, candy-like, malty, and winy. The taste is sweet, fruity, herby, and somewhat bitter. Dark fruits abound with this. Mouthfeel is medium and not really thick, and Westmalle Dubbel finishes mostly dry, fruity, and even refreshing. The drinkability is pretty easy with this one. Overall, this is an outstanding beer.

RJT

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Westmalle Double pours a hazy medium brown with a light brown head. I smell sweet raisin as well as other dark and tropical fruit with hints of dark chocolate and caramel. There is a bit of a sweet, vinous character. Some light alcohol comes through, but it might be because I practically submerged my nose in the Westvleteren chalice. The flavor is heavenly with sweet esters upfront and leading into earthy, slightly vinous character. Some dry dark chocolate comes through along with some caramel leading into a dry, slightly bitter finish. Herbal hops with a bit of sharp alcohol and phenolic flavor linger after the beer is gone.

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

After recently acquiring a job bartending at a Belgian Bar in New York, I have been delighted with my exposure to new beers and with a full immersion of the Belgian styles. I have since taken a new favorite, Westmalle Dubbel. Everything about this beer is amazing. I love the mouthfeel and could drink this beer alone, with food, on a cold day, or in an alley and I would be happy. I feel that the carbonation combined with the subtle notes of chocolate and malt just make an explosion of flavor that surprised me the first time I drank one. I was a huge fan of the Triple and randomly tried the Dubbel and soon found a new favorite. The proper pour in the proper glass just gives me a happy feeling every time I return to it. Combine this with the traditional Belgian Carbonnades Flammandes for an exceptional dinner.

4.84/5  rDev +16.1%

4.84/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The beer pours is very cloudy brown body and a nice tan head

The smell is of orange marmalade and Clay

The taste is smooth chalky earthy with some nice malt and fruit

Very will carbonated and somewhat full

A wonderful beer well-crafted and keeping with its style very enjoyable for flavor yet thirst quenching

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours hazy reddish brown with a tan head that retains well. Plenty of lacing is left on the glass. The aroma is sweet and of chocolate and maybe a bit of fig. The first sip feels creamy. I pick up flavors of roasted malts, sugar and fig. The finish is a bit dry and there's a mild spiciness to it. The flavor profile is well balanced. It's not too sweet. It's not too dry. The carbonation is definitely present, but it's not overwhelming. This hides its alcohol content very well and the mouthfeel is medium. Overall, this is an excellent beer.

4.82/5  rDev +15.6%

A: poured into a triple goblet glass with a hard pour at 40F, got a little head, and its lacing stuck to the walls and is lasting a long while.
Brown in color with some cloudiness because I poured it yeast and all.

S: plum like grapes, some leather overtones. sweet malt, rock candy sweetness, great balance with the hops, mild alcohol hits the nose as it warms up. Very complex what can you say its a Trappist they are all complex beers.

T: very rich and complex plum flavor, with rock candy sweetness, you get the malt and yeast flavors, great hop to malt balance, but none of them overpower the beer as it should be. not to sweet but it is a Dubbel. Great stuff

M: smooth and creamy, medium body, nice carbonation

D: easy to drink 3 or 4 of these but you will be a tad tipsy at the end, at least I was.

4.82/5  rDev +15.6%

This is a remarkable beer, darker than I would normally expect a Dubbel to be, but with a lot to show for it. I guess let me talk about where I took off points, The appearance was a bit too cloudy for what I've come to expect. While the smell was good but slightly muted.

But the taste is wonderful with cocao and coffee notes, but not nearly as over bearing as Stouts and Porters usually are with those flavors. With an amazingly creamy mouth feel, and no off notes anywhere in my experience with the beer. Absolutely wonderful.

4.82/5  rDev +15.6%

It's a runoff between the Westie and the St. Bernardus Abt 12 in my book, but I think the Westie eeks out ahead. It is perfectly balanced, with subtle fruit tones in the bouquet. Unlike Corsendonk's wine-like aftertaste, the Westmalle leaves you savoring its complexity and wanting more. Be sure to air it out, as it gains more character just below cellar temp. Also, be sure to serve it in the proper glassware... presentation and aroma are everything with a beer this good. Definately a cost-wise alternative to Abbaye des Rocs' offerings.

330ml bottle into snifter. "best before: 26/06/16", poured on january 29, 2015

a: a really beautiful opaque ruby with a finger of light brown or dark tan head

s: really vibrant maraschino cherry, black cherry, raisin, and date up front, followed by rich brown sugar. mild spicy banana-y yeast presence under all the dark fruit and malt notes. KO aroma

t: follows the nose. in the front is an explosion of brown sugar and all the aforementioned dark fruits. mid-palate carries the brown sugar and adds notes of fresh dark bread. a light-to-moderate herbal, leafy bitterness closes the tasting, with malt flavours lingering shyly

m: excellent medium-bodied and easy-going with medium-to-high carbonation

o: what an incredible beer. such massive aromas and flavours. the carbonation could be toned down a notch, but it's not like it's offensive the way it is

4.82/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a goblet.

A - Has a dark brown, ruby red color with an eggshell color 2 finger head. Lots of bubbles streaming from the bottom.

S - Dark fruits and cherries with yeasty, bread notes. Some fig, cloves, and toffee detected. Alcohol is in there too.

T - A slight hop bitterness on the front, The middle is all plum, raisins, cherries, figs, and yeast. Blends together beautifully. The back has a slight alcohol burn with a red wine dryness.

M - Medium mouthfeel, that is very creamy. Carbonation is very good due to bottle conditioning.

Overall, a trappist monastery in Belgium shines again. This is one of my new favorites for the style. Second behind Rochefort 8 for me. Haven't had Westy 8 to compare so this is second in my book.

4.81/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.81/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Westmalle Dubbel (AGED: circa 1980s) (Rating 9.5/10) - 6.5 ABV - 16 August 2007

2 days ago I had a Westmalle Dubbel which appears to be from the 90s and I felt that it was past its prime but perhaps that may not be the case. More important would be how the beer had aged over time. This Dubbel from the 80s (or maybe 90s?) had no label on the bottle;
in place was a extrusion of the "ABDU WESTMALLE" text. There was also no sludge and no sediments during the pour at all. The only sign of age is the little "ring" on the bottle neck where the beer level is before pouring. The underside of the cap was intact; the one I had 2 days ago had slight rust though not in the main area of the cap but still it was not looking too good. This aged Westmalle poured out dark ruby brown like any Westmalle Dubbel but without any head; all that was present was a nice ring lacing; no sediments at all. It smells of strong fruits (mainly plums and raisins) and also the typical Westmalle smell. It tasted strongly of plums, raisins and very subtle yeastiness and very slight bitterness on the finish. The entry had a certain alcohol strength which I could fully appreciate and it was backed with a strong dark fruity entry as well. The body was not as thick as I would have liked but this entry
strength as well as the very apt level of carbonation topped things out and it is not thin nor even the slightest watered down which was what I felt about the 1990s vintage which I tried 2 days ago. It was very smooth as well and I really enjoyed it. The after taste was lasting; way more lasting than the one I had 2 days ago and the fruits involved are again typical of the Westmalle Dubbel: Plums, dark grapes, Raisins and maybe other dark fruits like dates, etc; very fruity and tasty. Of course the entire package is all mellow and pleasant but not detracting from the strength and character that is of essence for a trappist ale. I think this
beer held up very well over the years and I can really appreciate it. Proper aging is of essence; seems to me the 90s vintage I had 2 days ago was badly aged.

Westmalle Dubbel (AGED: circa 1990s) (Rating 9/10) - 6.5 ABV - 14 August 2007

This is an aged Westmalle Dubbel, with the older cap as well; this is probably my first old beer. I estimate that it is from the 90s but I am not too sure. The bottle was a little hard to crack and when I got it off I immediately smell a strong fruity aroma comprising of dark fruits like plums, grapes, etc. The pour left a slightly less than 1 finger stable creamy head which stayed for quite a bit. The smell was a very strong fruity smell and so was the taste but it was not as strong as I would expect it to be. Fruity notes like plums and grapes are definitely more pronounced with its age and the yeasty notes on the finish were really light and subtle. The taste is very mellow and soothing and generally very identifiable as the Westmalle taste from my previous experiences with the Westmalle Dubbel. I think the fruitiness may be a little stronger than the 2003 or 2004 vintage version that I had but in terms of mouthfeel it seems to be falling short as the body has became thin and is probably between medium to light body which makes it feel a little watered down. Had the body been thicker, it would probably have been lovely but I guess at this age, this Westmalle may be a little past its prime but I
am not really sure, to be honest. The after taste was strong and fairly lasting but not as lasting as I would like it to be. Something that made me feel a little uncomfortable was the sludge that formed in the bottle itself along with the sediment flakes. I had the flakes scooped up before I drank the beer. I guess it is normal to have these flakes around specially at that age but I guess I would do without it. :)

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

On tap at Stoffel in Tilburg, Netherlands. Served into Westmalle chalice. Ruby in color, pinky of foam. Thick, soapy lacing. Aroma is sweet with malts, dominated by raisin and molasses. Taste follows suit. Blends together many complex flavors and notes. Very easy to drink. An all time classic.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

It took me more then a year to get this beer (and the Tripel) here in central Montana, finally got the local distributor to deliver. Maybe other places one can go out to the local store and get one, but not here. So here we go.

My first one that I tried, foamed out over my counter, ended up with about 5 ounces of drinkable beer (clearly mishandled). The second one however poured perfectly into my Chalice.

Good head, fairly dark, in appearance not that spectacular but good. Smell was exceptional. Taste was nothing else I have tasted, smooth but complex. Nothing short of incredible, worth the wait. I would give up sex to drink this beer.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Brown in color with some cloudiness because I poured it yeast and all.

S:plum like grapes, some leather overtones. sweet malt, rock candy
like, no hops, mild alchol hits the nose as it warms up

T: very rich and complex plum flavor, with rock candy sweetness, you get the malt and yeast falvors, little or no hops, but its nice and balanced out. not to sweet but it is a dubbel.

M: creamy, medium body, nice carbonation

D: easy to drink but the abv does sneak up on yea.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

The bottle says 7% ABV and is good until 8/19/05. Of course, it won't survive until then... ;-)

Pours out to an explosive head that threatened to overflow like a volcano into a reddish, almost mahogany color in the glass. The head is a light brown and is looks good enough to eat. The aroma is light with a fruit smell present. What a fantastic taste. The spice level is just right, with plums, raisins and malt coming to the forefront with just a twinge of spice. The yeast used must be interesting, indeed. Not as strong or "heavy" as I was expecting, but seeing as its 7% ABV and not 9 or 10+ tells me why, which leads to its incredible drinkability.

World class.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a bottle into an Orval chalice.

Appearance - very deep brown, mahogany I guess. Nice tan head, stuck around a little while.

Smell - boozy, caramel, dark fruit. Just what you would expect.

Taste - fabulous. You taste the alchocol but surrounding it is a harvest of other flavors, dark fruit, caramel.

Mouthfeel - exceptional. Carbonation perfected.

Drinkability - at 7% I am about done with one but could go on forever if possible.

A fantastic beer like all Trappist ales.

4.79/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance: Cloudy, super dark chocalte amber. Phenomenal head never goes away.

Smell: Very tempting mix of caramel and lavender, with very spicy undertones.

Taste: Complex as hell. Sweet and port-like. Caramel, lavender, plum with a little anise on the finish. Floral notes come in as it warms. Incredible.

Mouthfeel: Really creamy. This is a very rich beer that has better legs than most cabernets. On that same note, it did get a little sticky after the swallow.

Drinkability: Great brew, phenomenal with dessert. Offers many surprises as she warms up.

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A-Hazy dark brown with a large tan head that gives you a good lace
S-Spices light pepper, banana sweetness, roasted malts and caramel
T-sweet roasted caramel at first with a spice background that gives you a nice hop bitterness in the aftertaste, then finishes with a warming and great balance of all the flavors
M- full carbonation
O-The balance makes this one of the best I have had this year, I always enjoy dubbels

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

An eagerly anticipated sampling, a bottle set aside for many months to mark a special occasion...
Appearance: huge froth, to start, foamed everywhere, even over the keyboard, and 'scuse me while I mop up for a sec, will you, please?
Okay, the beer's calmed down a bit, and now we can judge it more suitably, perhaps...gorgeous garnet hue, nearly violet, deep ruby may be more like it, with a generous layer of foam atop, thick, plentiful, creamy, soupy, a dream to watch dwindle down...
Aroma: like sticking one's face deep down in a nest of ripe late-harvest fruits, and a bit from the vegetable side, too...a cornucopia in the nose, rich in cherries, and berries, grapes, and dates, and more that merely waits in the wings behind these major players...a deep, heady aroma, uplifting, otherwordly, luxurious! Damn, but it's well past time to drink, isn't it?
Taste: smooth, mellow, but oh, so much flavor, too, too much going on, too, too delicious, and I don't know where to start, actually, ...a rush of warmth, earthy fruitiness, plump and ripe and ever at home in the mouth. Mouthfeel? To capacity! Spices swim in, too, and envelope the senses, and dart about and add to the general sense of well-being felt everywhere that this brew touches. Another good gulp and I feel it again, this warm, spicy, earthy, deep, magical, tasty, fruity, magnificent....oh-my-goodness, sort of feeling...the malt is a wonderful buttress, and flavor-leader, too, but the hops, are a major contributor,as well, leading me to say, "screw it all, this is a perfectly integrated blend of all that's great in beer-land, isn't it?"
I have more to drink from this bottle, too, and could more, possibly, be gleaned from the last remaining drops that may color my perceptions before this sampling is done? Did I leave out minor notes of nuts and cocoa and coffee, just a stitch? But the point's made already, that this is among a rare subset of sublimity, and is so gorgeous that one is better off encountering it on rare occasions to make the meeting more special every time, I says.

Cheers to monks at Westmalle for creating this masterpiece!

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

lots of flavor (mostly fruity)

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

Best before date on bottle : 10 / 07.

The color is dark amber with a light tan colored head that kicks up easily when the ( Westmalle) chalice is swirled. Head receeds quickly to a whispy film leaving small spatters of lace.

Sweet, subtle malt aromas of chocolate and dark candy sugar, ripe melon and raisins along side some faint phenolic yeast notes and a hint of alcohol that all blend perfectly - wonderfully clean and subdued. Not at all pungent or cloying.

Rich fruity flavors of cherrys and figs and dark candy sugar flood the mouth. Smooth, medium bodied with soft carbonation, absolutely delicious grain flavors of sugar glazed brown bread crust balanced by an earthy hop spiciness in the background. Alcohol lingers even further back in the shadows, adding to the lush complexty of taste sensations.

Balance, balance balance. Predominantly a malty beer, the balance is still exceptional, with just enough bittering hop stepping forward in the finish to be pleasingly dry, just enough alcohol to be mildly warming and exceedingly drinkable.
Those Belgian Monk guys sure know what they're doin!

2-22-08 - Vintage review.
7-20-06 best before date.

Huge 3 in. tan head over a clear garnet brown beer. Slow, tiny carb bubbles rise from the etched "D" in the Duvel glass. Slumps to volcano of dense, sticky foam with sheets of lace. *4.5

Aromas are sweet and phenolic - smokey alcohol notes behind burnt chocolate and cooked figs. Not as rich and fruity as a fresher bottle.
*3.5

Flavors are all but washed away - somewhat watery light fruity notes are in the background - not up front as in a younger bottle. Faint chocolate notes and a firm and tasty grassy hop flavor dominates with a pastey oxidized sharpness. Warm, mildly alcoholic bitter finish. *4

Body is remarkably light - certainly less than medium bodied with a quaffability not found in a richer, more full bodied fresh bottle.
* 3.5

Overall, still a very nice beer with excellent drinkability and delicious hoppy finish. less complex and fruity than newer examples but still a great beer - just a little less so. My lesson learned is dont age this one ( only 7%) too much longer than the bottle date suggests.
*4.5

Overal I think this scores a 4.0.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle