Westmalle Trappist Dubbel - Brouwerij Westmalle

Westmalle Trappist DubbelWestmalle Trappist Dubbel

Brouwerij Westmalle visit their website

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,149 | Hads: 2,436
3.73/5  rDev -9.9%

Deep mahogany/cherry/railroad tie color. Thin head with minimal lacing. Little visible carbonation.

Not a huge aroma here - expecting a little more. A little malt - some of that (positive) "horse blanket" feel on the nose.

At first very shallow and disappointing, but as it warms and circulates the sweet malt rears its head. Almost a Czech pilsener bitterness on the aftertaste initially - not a bad thing but not what's expected. More malt shows up to balance bitterness and alcohol.

Carbonation is more prevalent on the mouth than via vision. Smooth - almost like a dark German lager or maybe a lighter Dopplebock in mouth feel?

Easily drinkable but not really what's expected. Interesting stuff. (703 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -9.9%

A: Pours brown.... very dark... 1/4" white head. Sticky, OK lacing.

S: Boozy, malty. Clean "soapy" (?) hops.

T: Malty with a strong alcohol presence. Light slightly-spicy hops... Saaz perhaps? Not terribly complex.

M: Bitter carbonation. Kills any sense of malty body.

D: Not my favorite... Carbonation kills drinkability.

After a while, I swirled most of the carbonation out, and the character changed.

M2: Smooth, but not much body. Clean finish.

D2: Drinkability improved significantly. (510 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -9.9%

This was a dark mahogany color with a large, persistent, light tan head. There was a lot of dark sediment at the bottom of the bottle. It has a great spicy, yeasty smell. The flavor is fruity and spicy. Good, but I was expecting better. The mouthfeel is a little thin for my taste. Drinkability is not great. (308 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -10.1%

Originally sampled on 8 March 2003 at Pizza Port's Belgian beer fest. I am writing this review from my notes. This is a dark brown beer with a lot of fizz in the head. The aroma is full of chocked fruit with notes of chocolate & brown sugar. All in all an enjoyable trappist. (275 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured dark ruby red with a barely controlled tan head despite a careful pour. The carbonation was initially off the hook, which worried me. But it seemed fine. Nice lacing.

Smells of cherry, straw, red licorice, and metal pipes.

Mouthfeel is slick with average carbonation (despite the initial craziness).

Taste is black pepper spicy, roasted malt, copper bitter, and grainy malts. I couldn't detect the higher abv.

Pretty good. (433 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -10.4%

11.2oz bottle poured into a goblet. Best before 5/16/08

Opaque chestnut brown color with pleasant brownish head, little lacing.

Not much complexity in the aroma, malty, nice.

Mouthfell is good and creamy with lots of soft carbonation. Taste is certainly very good, solidly delicious dark ale. The main impression is perfect balance between malt, hop, alcohol, no element intrudes on any other. My first taste of Westmalle, I guess I was hoping for something a bit more interesting--I guess mainly because of the price, I feel like there are lots of other ales out there as enjoyable as this. (600 characters)

Sample 1 of my tour of dubbels

330ml bottle

App: Dark brown with some ruby that is completely opaque. Huge frothy head.

Smell: Caramel, dark honey and berries, chocolate, and a touch of licorice.

Taste: Certainly something good going on here. Not overwhelming, but firm and full. Strong carbonation does cover some of the flavors present, but the taste is still good. Some fruitiness, some toast and husk. Ends dry and herbal, but a bit of the tobacco flavor I do not love.

Full body from the strong, tight carbonation. A bit rough going down. I do love high carbonation, but this stuff is intense. (603 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

A- Dark chocolate brown with light ruby hues. Small ring of foam and film after a conservative pour. I might should have poured it a little more swiftly to get some good head going, I have none.

S- Cherries! That is definitely the first and strongest aroma coming from this glass. I also catch some red grapes and plums. I can catch some vanilla very slightly and also a lemon scent there too.

T- Again, Cherries! This is almost like a cherry beer to me. That taste and smell overtakes me on this one. I also sense the same red grapes, red apples and a somewhat lime-like taste. Alcohol is present in the aftertaste.

M- Medium to high on carbonation. The general mouthfeel is nice and pleasant as far as the thickness of the brew goes.

D- A little too sweet to me. Not an overly drinkable beer because of the sweetness and richness.

Overall- Very good and enriched tastes and smells. However, that made it one dimensional to me. The overall taste and smell was cherries. If it added more complexity than this, I would be a bigger fan. This one didn't do that for me, but all in all was a nice offering. (1,107 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

Dark copper pour with ruby highlights. Off white, small, persistent head.
Aroma is amazing - sweet plums and red apples, some cloves, cinnamon, sweet caramel malt and a hint of chocolate.
Flavours are not as diverse - complex roasted malts with chocolate notes and some noticeable alcohol. Quite sweet up front but finishes rather dry.
Too much carbonation detracts from flavour! Otherwise quite enjoyable! (406 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

Picked this beer up last week. Outwardly, an ornate glass bottle and classic label.

Pours a beautiful cloudy amber, almost violet, color. A nice thick head, which levels out to a half an inch which lasts throughout the experience.
Excellent lacing throughout as well.

Very aromatic - scents of raisin and fig.

The flavor mirrors the aroma. Rich raisin and fig flavor with a touch of alcohol at the end, but not bad for the ABV.

The mouthfeel is full and the flavor remains in the mouth.

A very drinkable trappist. (530 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a dark brown with a few reddish highlights. Off white head and good lacing. Smell is dark plums and raisins with a good amount of caramel and dark sugars. Taste is a bit less unrefined, with the yeast characteristics not coming through nearly as much. More of a bready-type flavor. Mouthfeel is fairly full and rich. Drinkability is okay; not nearly as impressive as their tripel. (386 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy coca cola colour with a sparkling head that dies down pretty fast, looks pretty flat to be honest.

Smells lightly o raisins and fruit syrup, yeast esters come through with light hint o marzipan, but nothing very prominent.

Taste follow suit, with fruity yeast esters up front, some golden raisins and a hint of green .

Luxurious crisp and sparkling moth feel, mid-bodied and sot. (395 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

I got this beer on accident when I ordered the Tripple. It was a little disappointing, considering the A rating. Flavor is good, but not terribly complex. If you like the Bernardus, you might like this one, but there are better Belgian ales, in my opinion. (256 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

I was surprised. Normally, I like dubbels but this one did not impress me that much.

The beer poured a murky brown color with a nice, mousselike head that lingered for a short while.

The aroma was biscuity and somewhat sour, with plenty of shades of fruity esters. No hops present.

The taste was dry; perhaps because of the Brett character in the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was medium-bodied and moderately carbonated.

Not a dubbel I would seek out, but a nice beer nonetheless. (493 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours reddish brown with a chil haze. Ok head and a little lacing.

Some dark fruit scents, as well as some sweet caramel and booze.

I must say, I expected more depth out of this one. Alot more on the dry side than expected. Shows some caramel and dark fruit sweetness, but that immediately turns to a dry and coarse stone fruit pit bitter bite that was strangely appropriate but not all that pleasant. The yeast and tasted bread are there as well, but the dry fruit flavor and alcohol edge dominate. You can tell this is well crafted, and damn good thing, because it hinges upon becoming a mess. Decent body and carbonation help clean the palate. Overall, a drier than expected drinker. I liked this less than the hype, but still dug it. Worth a try as you work your way through thee vast sea of Belgian beers, but this one will be a matter of personal taste and preference. (876 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours dark brown with ruby-red highlights with several fingers of light tan head and a good bit of lacing. Smells sweet, fruity and somewhat piney. Tastes fruity, kind of pruny. Some roasted notes. Medium body. A little bitter. Tasty, but not my favorite dubbel. A solid beer though. (283 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

11/25/05 on label. Pours a bubbly raison brown. Aroma is like a Fig Newten and some raisins. Lots of dark brown particulate matter suspended amongst the aggressive carbonation. Taste is less sweet then most other well known dubbels but less complicated and interesting as well. It’s rather underwhelming but one strong point is the lively carbonation. That in combination with the moderated sweetness makes this one very drinkable. (432 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

A 750ml bottle with 07/03/09 over 07/03/07 stamped on the label. Poured into a goblet, it was a medium brown color with some red highlights. A small head that dissipated quickly. It had a faint aroma of fruit (I think banana) and caramel. The taste was similarly muted, but there was some nice bitterness at the end. This was a pretty good beer, but I was expecting a little bit more than I got. (395 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured this one into my Duvel tulip glass. Nice eruption of fizzy head that settles into a creamy tan 1/4" thick layer on top of the dark brown beer. The nose is rather floral not showing much sign of sweetness, but it is still very much a complex aroma. The first taste is a quick burst of alcohol flavor and a slight bitter ending. I am drinking this at room temperature. After a few more sips it turns into a very warming beer. Not the sweet and rich flavor of several of the dubbels I've had before, but more of a subtle complexity. The mouthfeel is slightly handicapped by the alcohol taste. This is a very odd beer, very mellow yet bold. Very drinkable although it's no good on the wallet. Overall, this beer wasn't as great as I thought it would be. I will have to try a tripel of theirs, I have read that it is much more impressive. (840 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours dark brown with a light beige head. Has a nice sweet plum/raisin aroma. The spiced fruity flavor is coupled with wonderful abbey yeast compliments you would expect from this brewery. The body was very smooth and went down far too easy. Left me wanting another. (266 characters)

Dated: 22/12/11, 1 16037
From: The Beer Temple

G: Chimay Chalice

A: Dark ruby red body with one finger of off white head. Dissipates to a thin ring rather quickly. Typical dubbel characteristics.

S: Funky yeast is prominate here, following dark fruits and some spices. The yeast is much stronger than other types I've had. I

T: Following the aromas, yeast is up front with figs following. There is also hints of various spices in the end.

M: Medium bodied and high carbonation. Frothy texture and sticky bitter aftertaste.

D: Good beer, it's a little to much funk for me, but it's an interesting experience. (616 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

I've been walking by this one for a few years now, so I figured I should pick one up and give it a shot. Review is from notes taken on 8/2/2011 and poured from the bottle to a tulip.

Appearance: Pour is a relatively dark coppery color with some nice ruby highlights; starts with a big 2 and 1/2 finger, dusty tan head with decent retention; body is dark, but fairly clear and it shows quick and slight carbonation bubbling up;

Smell: Not especially potent, but there are some nice dark fruits with a hint of citrus in there; some rich caramel notes as well; not too bad, but I do wish it was a bit stronger.

Taste: Definite presence of some Belgian Candi sugars right away, with a backing of dark, spicy fruits (raisins and figs); bit of a bitter and metallic presence along with some warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel: I feel the carbonation is a bit strong and it comes across sharp; body is a little lighter than I expected, and if it were thicker it may help tame the over abundant carbonation; a thin, dry coating is left of the roof of the mouth; belly is left warm from the alcohol and I eel that the carbonation helps that along.

Overall: Worth a shot, but I have to wonder if sitting for a couple of years may ease the sharpness of the body, which is easily my least favorite aspect of this beer. (1,304 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a dark brown, thin but fizzy head that stands at attention. Slightly earthy, fruity smell, but there isn't a whole lot going on amongst the first 2 senses.

I get a lot of sweet malts backed by belgian sugars, mingling with some darker sensations, like some burnt sugar, licorice. Very yeasty, and the darker sensations give it a bit of a kick. I don't get any of the bubblegum sweetness in the background, no raspberry, none of the fruitiness I'm used to from other dubbles. Seems to be medium bodied, lighter than I would have thought, a lot less dense. Very creamy, and decently coating. I think for me though, it doesn't have that earthy fruitiness I like, the darker flavors come through too strongly. Not dark fruit, but licorice is a good way, or a burnt roastiness you might find more in a stout. Has a slight bitterness to the finish, maybe alcohol burn, maybe roastiness. Not my first trappist, and most likely not my favorite. Still good to try though. (970 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -11.4%

I had this one sitting around a while. The second of two I got at the Houston St. Whole Foods in New York.

750mL goes into 1 Westmalle chalice. The result, a rich mahogany, damn near opaque. It was a nice looking head while it lasted.

Mmm, a nice cocoa scent, dark cherry, licorice, roasted malts and some yeast to finish. It's very, very nice.

Hmm, the dark fruit presence in this taste is very wine-like, with the expressive carbonation and yeasty finish of a dubbel, and some toffee hints in the midst of it all. You get more malts and sweetness as you go on. It's ok, though not what I was expecting after smelling.

Leaning towards lighter in body and, as mentioned, expressive carbonation. Very drinkable. I can think of other dubbels I would opt for though, if given a choice. (787 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -11.6%

I was hoping for more from this beer. It certainly looks good. It pours a nice slighly hazy mahogany color with a nice creamy, slighlty foamy off white head. The beer laces like crazy. The nose is very Belgiany with candied sugars, sweet malty caramels, plenty of fruity esters.

The taste is just too coarse and prickly for my preference. I was hoping for a slightly smoother beer, but alas no. The yeasts really add a harshness that takes away the candied sugars, and Belgiany malts that I was looking forward to. The slighly burnt, coarse, prickly, banana and the slightly boozy pineapple flavors just don't blend all that well. The beer has a harsh cardamon spiciness that doesnt' play nice either. Where's the nice caramel malts, where's the candied sugars, where's the star anise? The beer settles in a bit as it warms and that helps. I'm still a bit disappointed with this beer. (885 characters)

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle